PDA

View Full Version : Thompson, McCarthy to talk about Favre... TODAY

packers11
07-12-2008, 12:02 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/12/thompson-mccarthy-to-talk-about-favre.aspx

Thompson, McCarthy to talk about Favre
By Journal Sentinel staff
Saturday, Jul 12 2008, 11:57 AM
Packers GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy are scheduled to talk at 1 p.m. today with Journal Sentinel reporter Tom Silverstein about the situation with Brett Favre.

Check the blog later for what the Packers' brass has to say.

packers11
07-12-2008, 12:04 PM
FINALLY ... FROM TED'S MOUTH!!!

no more sources,reports,statements... right from his damn mouth!!!

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 12:08 PM
WTF

He's going to Philidelphia?

And it's been confirmed there by owner John Bon Jovi?

Wait a minute, that's the Arena league.

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 12:13 PM
What's fair is fair; Favre has used the media to map our messages so now it's time for TT to use them as a pawn as well.

mraynrand
07-12-2008, 12:15 PM
They can pretty much redeem themselves with this. Then it will just be Favre talking through intermediaries and looking like a pouting fool. (and I may have to remove my sig.)

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 12:17 PM
What's fair is fair; Favre has used the media to map our messages so now it's time for TT to use them as a pawn as well.

I'm really not for an escalation of this nonsense. If they feel the need to send a message, it can easily delivered in camp, when Brett sees himself 4th on the depth chart behind Flynn.

Bretsky
07-12-2008, 12:20 PM

I'm really not for an escalation of this nonsense. If they feel the need to send a message, it can easily delivered in camp, when Brett sees himself 4th on the depth chart behind Flynn.

This is probably better than your option; as all your option would lead to is an up close interview with Chris Mortensen at ESPN and we'd be the laughing stock of the NFL.

Favre is better than Rodgers, Brohm...etc....

It's better to deal him asap and get rid of this mess.

gbgary
07-12-2008, 12:28 PM
FINALLY ... FROM TED'S MOUTH!!!

no more sources,reports,statements... right from his damn mouth!!!

i think the "statements" pretty much tell the story. "from ted's mouth" might get him in trouble where a statement takes some forethought. as far as he/they "redeeming themselves" it's a no-win situation so might as well do what he/they were hired to do and that's do what's best for the team...and in my opinion it's trade him to someone we won't have to deal with for a couple of years.

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I can't wait to hear from TT and Coach

packers11
07-12-2008, 12:43 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/12/thompson-mccarthy-say-favre-can-rejoin-team-as-backup.aspx

Thompson, McCarthy say Favre can rejoin team as backup
By Journal Sentinel staff
Saturday, Jul 12 2008, 12:42 PM

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Isn't this news coming out before the actual 1pm meeting with TT, Coach, and Tom Silverstein?

motife
07-12-2008, 01:03 PM
TT & Mike from AP :

will not release Favre
if Favre wants to play, he'll have to return to Green Bay as a backup
will not discuss a trade, no inquiries have been made to the Packers.

BobDobbs
07-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm really interested in seeing what they have to say in the larger interview, but if this is true it is a little insane. How on earth do you justify someone who took you to the championship game losing their job. At least on a performance basis, which is what starting jobs should be determined by.

How does Rodgers keep command of the locker room with Favre in it? I mean McCarthy shipped out Jim Bates, because he thought there would be too much conflict with a guy that wanted his job. Are they really going to have Brett Favre running the scout team offense to help prepare the first team defense for an upcoming opponent? Should he play on the kickoff coverage unit too?

This is not a solution it is a sh*tstorm.

Gunakor
07-12-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm really interested in seeing what they have to say in the larger interview, but if this is true it is a little insane. How on earth do you justify someone who took you to the championship game losing their job. At least on a performance basis, which is what starting jobs should be determined by.

How does Rodgers keep command of the locker room with Favre in it? I mean McCarthy shipped out Jim Bates, because he thought there would be too much conflict with a guy that wanted his job. Are they really going to have Brett Favre running the scout team offense to help prepare the first team defense for an upcoming opponent? Should he play on the kickoff coverage unit too?

When training camp starts Rodgers will be #1 on the depth chart and Favre would be #2. They could still have an open competition in camp where if Favre beat out Rodgers - legitimately - then Rodgers really would have no reason to gripe about it. I don't know that he would. I seem to remember Rodgers outplaying Favre in the preseason last year. And if Favre loses a legitimate competition to Rodgers, then Favre would have no reason to gripe about being backup. He got beat, so either retire or be the backup. That's business. I would welcome this competiton.

bobblehead
07-12-2008, 01:10 PM

Actually MM asked bates to stay on as defensive coordinater...nice try though.

pbmax
07-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Silverstein needs to learn to live blog his interviews faster. I am dying here.

VegasPackFan
07-12-2008, 01:51 PM
I hope that TT and M3 lay all the cards on the table. There are probably alot of details and actions that have been going on all off season that we dont know anything about. We'll see after this, but I bet there will be a lot more people understanding why they have taken this stance after we hear from them.

falco
07-12-2008, 02:05 PM
I hope that TT and M3 lay all the cards on the table. There are probably alot of details and actions that have been going on all off season that we dont know anything about. We'll see after this, but I bet there will be a lot more people understanding why they have taken this stance after we hear from them.

that may be likely - they wouldn't be sitting down for an interview like this unless they were planning on making their case

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Should he play on the kickoff coverage unit too?

I wish I thought of that one. :lol:

BobDobbs
07-12-2008, 02:12 PM

No, I clearly remember McCarthy saying he wanted to talk about having him back. Then after they did talk a 'mutual agreement' was reached and McCarthy said he didn't want to work with him.

It doesn't matter, because the metaphor doesn't hold for position players. There is always day to day competition there. Maybe the best thing is for an open competition in camp. Showcase both players in preseason, then trade on of them.

pbmax
07-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Bates gave an interview later that year saying it was his decision.

Silverstein needs to hurry.

No, I clearly remember McCarthy saying he wanted to talk about having him back. Then after they did talk a 'mutual agreement' was reached and McCarthy said he didn't want to work with him.

It doesn't matter, because the metaphor doesn't hold for position players. There is always day to day competition there. Maybe the best thing is for an open competition in camp. Showcase both players in preseason, then trade on of them.

BobDobbs
07-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Well its finally up now.

Favre return making things messy for Thompson
By Tom Silverstein
Saturday, Jul 12 2008, 02:36 PM

Green Bay -- Refusing to rule out the possibility of Brett Favre playing for the Green Bay Packers this season but at the same time reiterating that Aaron Rodgers is currently his starter, general manager Ted Thompson admitted during a half-hour interview Saturday that he was dealing with a messy situation.

Thompson, who agreed to conduct interviews with several local media outlets, did not publicly dissuade Favre from filing reinstatement papers and did not go as far as saying there was no way he would play for the Packers this season. But he said he could not answer whether there would be an opportunity for Favre to get his starting position back with the Packers if he chose to return.

"We have to go with what's real," Thompson said. "We don't know what the options are right now. We'll talk about it internally. It's all guess work.

"This is a very difficult spot we're in. It's a very volatile situation and we don't have all the answers yet."

Asked if there was a chance Favre could be on his roster this year, Thompson said, "Sure."

As a starter?

"I don't know how to answer that," he said. "We have moved forward. So we'll see where it goes."

Asked if he was concerned that Rodgers would wash his hands of the Packers after his contract is up were he stripped of his starting job at the start of training camp, Thompson said, "We'll deal with that when it comes up."

Then he said, "Aaron Rodgers is our starting quarterback."

Thompson declined to answer which quarterback gives the Packers the best chance to go to the Super Bowl.

Thompson admitted that anything could happen between now and the start of training camp and that though the team will discuss the possibility of Favre coming back, it will do nothing until Favre signs reinstatement papers. Though Favre has made it clear he wants to come back, he has not officially informed the Packers at anytime this off-season that he wants to play for the Packers again, Thompson said.

The Packers general manager said that in late March, he received word from offensive line coach James Campen, a close friend of Favre's, that the quarterback was having strong feelings about coming back from retirement. Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy discussed the possibility of Favre returning and both agreed it was not too late for him to come back.

They sent word to Favre that he was welcome back and that they would fly down to Mississippi to finalize plans for his return. But within days of telling Favre of their plans, Favre called back and said he and wife Deanna had decided to stick with their original decision on retirement.

Thompson went through a time line of events from the end of the NFC Championship Game to last Tuesday when Favre called to ask for his release. He said he visited Favre at his home in Mississippi and in April and Favre did not ask him whether he could return to play for the Packers.

The latest development caught Thompson and McCarthy by surprise and both men were struggling with how to handle a muddled situation.

"There are people out there who I know are anxious and mad and nervous and all those things," Thompson said. "I want people to know that we know that. We're going through the same things. It's gut-wrenching when you think about it. We're struggling to do the right thing. We don't have all the answers.

"It doesn't bother me when people think we picked the wrong guy or we made a personnel decision that wasn't right. But when it gets to something as core value as this, it concerns me that there would be people who would think less of us. That's important to me. It always has been.

"People think I'm stoic and don't care what anybody thinks. Sure I do. If it's something like a draft pick, I'm fine with that. I want people to know that I know fans care so much and we care too. We care about the legacy of the Packers and the legacy of Brett Favre."

"We don't have all the answers."

bobblehead
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM

thats funny cuz I clearly remember MM offering him the defensive coordinator position and bates was upset about not being named the head coach and declined. He later signed on with denver as "assistand head coach"

falco
07-12-2008, 03:56 PM
bobblehead - I remember the same thing

Kudos to TT - he handled things extremely well today I think

falco
07-12-2008, 03:59 PM
bobblehead - I remember the same thing

Kudos to TT - he handled things extremely well today I think

I made this comment based on all the latest posted entries on JSO, some posted 2 minutes ago - i encourage everyone to take a look

falco
07-12-2008, 04:03 PM
thompson was wise to uncharacteristically tell all in this situation - by being brutally honest about everything he stands the best chance to keep the court of public opinion in his favor

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
thompson was wise to uncharacteristically tell all in this situation - by being brutally honest about everything he stands the best chance to keep the court of public opinion in his favor

Good call falco.

twoseven
07-12-2008, 04:22 PM
thompson was wise to uncharacteristically tell all in this situation - by being brutally honest about everything he stands the best chance to keep the court of public opinion in his favorExactamundo. All week long the non-GB fans and media types have been shelling the Pack and TT for either not giving Favre the keys to the GB castle OR granting him his release because he's Brett Favre, treating the situation in GB as simple and cut and dry to handle. Funny how every offseason it seemed those same media types were shelling Favre for playing his decision games, now they're in his corner it seems after he, in my opinion, has taken it way too far with the drama. Two sides to this story, maybe now Brett's won't be the only one gracing ESPN 24/7. Wait..what's that..do we have another statement from Scott Favre... has Bonita got a response to TT's interview...does Brett's neighbor have something to say??

falco
07-12-2008, 04:35 PM
thompson was wise to uncharacteristically tell all in this situation - by being brutally honest about everything he stands the best chance to keep the court of public opinion in his favorExactamundo. All week long the non-GB fans and media types have been shelling the Pack and TT for either not giving Favre the keys to the GB castle OR granting him his release because he's Brett Favre, treating the situation in GB as simple and cut and dry to handle. Funny how every offseason it seemed those same media types were shelling Favre for playing his decision games, now they're in his corner it seems after he, in my opinion, has taken it way too far with the drama. Two sides to this story, maybe now Brett's won't be the only one gracing ESPN 24/7. Wait..what's that..do we have another statement from Scott Favre... has Bonita got a response to TT's interview...does Brett's neighbor have something to say??

my personal preference would be another scathing al jones editorial

Harlan Huckleby
07-12-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure that Thompson really did himself any favors, and I don't sense he is being honest. Or at least not forthcoming.

I read this interview as Thompson making a transition towards accepting Favre back on the team.

Yet, if that is really TT's inclination, then what's the problem with being more direct?

I guess Thompson is buying some time to find a trade partner. And leaving open the option of putting Favre on the roster as an unpleasant last resort. (Releasing Favre is not even an option.) If so, Thompson has falsely raised hopes of the "Favre till Death" crowd, and just deepened the soap opera.

Full disclosure: I might do exactly what TT did today if I were in his shoes. There is no good option.

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
I guess Thompson is buying some time to find a trade partner. And leaving open the option of putting Favre on the roster as an unpleasant last resort. (Releasing Favre is not even an option.) If so, Thompson has falsely raised hopes of the "Favre till Death" crowd, and just deepened the soap opera.

:) I saw the same thing. When I saw diehard coming out hoping he'd be the starter for Greenbay on opening day I couldn't help but roll my eyes a little. They did say it wasn't going to happen, but some people need to be hit in the head with it to really understand.

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 05:59 PM
On a side note, Harlan, I didn't see it as even possible but the Packers mgiht really be serious about having Favre as a backup. I found it strange that when he said he didn't know what Favre's responsiblities were going to be (as if to say they could even make him a 12 million dollar janitor until they find a trade). At the same time he also said things could seem impossible now but possible later so maybe he would be open to being a backup.

Me, personally, I'd rather see Favre cut on the last day than to pay him 12 million to be a backup. I hope it's either trade or retirement though.

Harlan Huckleby
07-12-2008, 06:07 PM
On a side note, Harlan, I didn't see it as even possible but the Packers mgiht really be serious about having Favre as a backup.

zero chance of this. FAvre would never, ever, ever in a billion years agree to ride on the bench. He is a total Diva, he goes nuts when they take him out of a game where the team is ahead 50-0.

Favre would only be a "backup" in the sense of being the backup to every starting QB in the AFC. As soon as one goes down, Favre is on a plane, and his bags are already packed.

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure that Thompson really did himself any favors, and I don't sense he is being honest. Or at least not forthcoming.

I read this interview as Thompson making a transition towards accepting Favre back on the team.

Yet, if that is really TT's inclination, then what's the problem with being more direct?

Full disclosure: I might do exactly what TT did today if I were in his shoes. There is no good option.

Yes there is:

Have 'the balls' to release Brett 'the threat' Favre yesterday. The damnable games must end. It's pathetic to see how TT's hands are tied.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Have 'the balls' to release Frett Favre yesterday.

Hey, that's not a very nice name for the finest QB in Packer history? What if it sticks? You'll go down as the biggest Favre hater in history.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes there is:

Have 'the balls' to release Brett 'the threat' Favre yesterday

Do you remember the roasting Ted took when the Packers traded the pick to Minny that they used to draft Booty? Of course you don't. You can't remember your name half the time.

If Ted let Brett go, and he ended up in Minny - good lordy, people would tar and feather the poor guy. Your suggestion is Ted commit career suicide.

I don't think so.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 06:21 PM

MJZiggy
07-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Yes there is:

Do you remember the roasting Ted took when the Packers traded the pick to Minny that they used to draft Booty? Of course you don't. You can't remember your name half the time.

If Ted let Brett go, and he ended up in Minny - good lordy, people would tar and feather the poor guy. Your suggestion is Ted commit career suicide.

I don't think so.

Isn't career suicide what he's had in mind for Ted all along?

SD GB fan
07-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Yes there is:

Have 'the balls' to release Brett 'the threat' Favre yesterday. The damnable games must end. It's pathetic to see how TT's hands are tied.

this is the dumbest idea i've read so far. this move will not only destroy GB and divide the fans, but it will also cost the most doing so. There is a cap hit, a chance for Favre to land with a division rival, and what kind of club cut ties with the FACE OF THE FRANCHISE that easily? TT is doing the right thing to admit how "he doesn't have all the answers" because he doesn't and the matter needs time.

Maybe you should change your catch phrase to "Favre Forever" instead of "Packers Forever"

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Isn't career suicide what he's had in mind for Ted all along?

Woody wants Ted fired for not landing Randy Moss. Instead, they voted him Executive of the Year. Woody is bitter.

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Yes there is:

I don't think so.

Jeee Scott are you taking this to 'the personal'? How badly do you need an ass kicking today 'amatuer'? Can't you pick a wife to beat you?

MJZiggy
07-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Yes there is:

I don't think so.

Jeee Scott are you taking this to 'the personal'? How badly do you need an ass kicking today 'amatuer'? Can't you pick a wife to beat you?

What are you talking about? There's nothing personal in that post... :?:

Rastak
07-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Yes there is:

I don't think so.

I guess "You can't remember your name half the time" could be sorta personal..... :lol:

MJZiggy
07-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Never mind, I read the last post in the quote string. I take it back. Carry on.

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Yes there is:

I don't think so.

Uhhhh MJ.... Can you please keep your nose out of the BIG BOYS back and forth? Why do you always need to defend some. SOME.

I've come to realize you don't see far around your blinders MJZiggy and you don't need to suck up.

Maybe just really try to relax. Try on a nice movie or just veg and watch some TV.

'' You can't remember your name half the time. ''

Joemailman
07-12-2008, 07:39 PM

When training camp starts Rodgers will be #1 on the depth chart and Favre would be #2. They could still have an open competition in camp where if Favre beat out Rodgers - legitimately - then Rodgers really would have no reason to gripe about it. I don't know that he would. I seem to remember Rodgers outplaying Favre in the preseason last year. And if Favre loses a legitimate competition to Rodgers, then Favre would have no reason to gripe about being backup. He got beat, so either retire or be the backup. That's business. I would welcome this competiton.

I don't think the Packers have any intention right now of having Favre in camp. By supposedly ruling out a trade or release, and saying Favre would be the backup, they are hoping Favre will decide to retire after all. Having Favre as Rodgers' backup would be an impossible situation for Rodgers, especially the first time he has a bad game.

Joemailman
07-12-2008, 07:45 PM
On the other hand, did TT inadvertently reveal something here?

Asked if he was concerned that Rodgers would wash his hands of the Packers after his contract is up were he stripped of his starting job at the start of training camp, Thompson said, "We'll deal with that when it comes up."

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Never mind, I read the last post in the quote string. I take it back. Carry on.

Ohhh... thanks MJ.

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 07:49 PM

A little slip? That stood out to me too. :D

Joemailman
07-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Asked if there was a chance Favre could be on his roster this year, Thompson said, "Sure."

As a starter?

"I don't know how to answer that," he said. "We have moved forward. So we'll see where it goes."

Then he said, "Aaron Rodgers is our starting quarterback."

Thompson declined to answer which quarterback gives the Packers the best chance to go to the Super Bowl.

Thompson admitted that anything could happen between now and the start of training camp and that though the team will discuss the possibility of Favre coming back, it will do nothing until Favre signs reinstatement papers. Though Favre has made it clear he wants to come back, he has not officially informed the Packers at anytime this off-season that he wants to play for the Packers again, Thompson said.

Is it just me, or is TT open to the possibility of Favre beating out Rodgers if he comes to camp. He said "Aaron Rodgers is our starting quarterback." He didn't say "Aaron Rodgers will be our starting quarterback."

Heck, just make sure that Daryn Colledge is in the lineup with Rodgers, and Rodgers will probably end up on IR.

Brando19
07-12-2008, 09:44 PM
I wonder what Driver and Jennings think about this Favre/Rodgers situation? I know what James Jones thinks. He wants ARod. They're good friends and have been working out together in California.

Joemailman
07-12-2008, 09:46 PM
If Favre came back, Jones would have to get over it, because I'll bet Jordy Nelson doesn't care who's throwing the ball.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Yes there is:

I don't think so.

I guess "You can't remember your name half the time" could be sorta personal..... :lol:

I didn't think he'd remember that part of the post. :lol:

digitaldean
07-12-2008, 09:49 PM
I would have to think that there would be some divisions. But if I were on the team, I'd want him to make up his freakin' mind once and for all.

State that he's in it 100% and let the chips fall where they may.

If he comes back and plays in preseason that Rodgers will outplay him?

I am thoroughly sickened by what this QB has done. A lot of people are saying that TT is making a national joke of this team. From the threads I've seen on ESPN, FoxSports and other sites, they are telling Favre to ride into the sunset once and for all.

Zool
07-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Uhhhh MJ.... Can you please keep your nose out of the BIG BOYS back and forth? Why do you always need to defend some. SOME.

I've come to realize you don't see far around your blinders MJZiggy and you don't need to suck up.

Maybe just really try to relax. Try on a nice movie or just veg and watch some TV.

Right...everyone named Woody has the right to post whatever they want. Women should sit in the corner and watch TV like they're told.

Partial
07-13-2008, 03:21 AM
FWIW, he said he won't discuss Favre as a player of the packers until he commits back. Right now Rodgers is the starter. He didn't specify that would be the case if Favre returns unless I am misunderstanding something.

cpk1994
07-13-2008, 06:40 AM
I would have to think that there would be some divisions. But if I were on the team, I'd want him to make up his freakin' mind once and for all.

State that he's in it 100% and let the chips fall where they may.

If he comes back and plays in preseason that Rodgers will outplay him?

I am thoroughly sickened by what this QB has done. A lot of people are saying that TT is making a national joke of this team. From the threads I've seen on ESPN, FoxSports and other sites, they are telling Favre to ride into the sunset once and for all.Exactly. Favre hate is in huge supply across the country. I bet if you took a poll of all theose forum posters asking thekm who Ted Thompson is, you be lucky if 10% responded correctly. Favre is the one making the team a joke. Favre is hated around the country enoguh as it is when he is playing.. This is just throwing gasoline on that fire.

woodbuck27
07-13-2008, 08:06 AM

This is probably better than your option; as all your option would lead to is an up close interview with Chris Mortensen at ESPN and we'd be the laughing stock of the NFL.

Favre is better than Rodgers, Brohm...etc....

It's better to deal him asap and get rid of this mess.

YES!

pbmax
07-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Perhaps a little slip or more likely "when it" means contract negotiation, not backup status.

A little slip? That stood out to me too. :D

woodbuck27
07-13-2008, 08:30 AM

Right...everyone named Woody has the right to post whatever they want. Women should sit in the corner and watch TV like they're told.

Look at the context Zool.

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Yes, the context in which you failed to even look at the very next post before suggesting that because I'm female I can't keep up with the big boys and should go off and watch tv. Is that the chauvinistic context you had in mind? You know very well that I know just as much football as the majority here if not more, yet you tell me I shouldn't interrupt the "big boys'" exchanges.

Please explain to me how that post is relevant or acceptable even if I hadn't retracted the previous statement.

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Please explain to me how that post is relevant or acceptable even if I hadn't retracted the previous statement.

I think he was just having a "senior moment".

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 11:06 AM

In Woody's world, women should do this:

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/13/17/23211713.jpg

Not this:

http://www.kevinlburke.com/images/shelly_the_packer_woman.jpg