PDA

View Full Version : Has TT really done NOTHING??

Patler
04-04-2006, 06:21 AM
Signings:

Kampman
Pickett
Green
Manuel
Barry
Henderson
Gardner
Boerigter
Peterson
Taylor
Davenport
White
Cole
Davis
Cundiff
Lucier

These players are costing almost $24,000,000 against the 2006 cap. All of these players, except maybe Lucier, are expected to be contributers. Fans shouldn't just look at the big name signings. TT has a whole roster to fill. He still has $19 million to fill the holes, upgrade what he can and sign his rookies.

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Signings:

Kampman
Pickett
Green
Manuel
Barry
Henderson
Gardner
Boerigter
Peterson
Taylor
Davenport
White
Cole
Davis
Cundiff
Lucier

These players are costing almost $24,000,000 against the 2006 cap. All of these players, except maybe Lucier, are expected to be contributers. Fans shouldn't just look at the big name signings. TT has a whole roster to fill. He still has $19 million to fill the holes, upgrade what he can and sign his rookies.

Well, Lucier is a nothing signing. White, Cole, and Peterson were ERFAs or RFAs, so that was hard to get done. Most teams have those signings. The one thing he did do was frontload contracts. I like some of the signings. I'd just like to see three more positions (CB, LB, and OG/OC) solidified before the draft. There's not much out there anymore. I will feel better if Woodson and Barrett Green are signed.

Does anybody think we should try to resign Na'il Diggs?

swede
04-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Fair points Shamrock.

Much of what TT has done delights me because he does seem to have a coherent plan, one that does not involve walking around the carnival grounds with your cash held out in front of you. The last I heard him speak of it he dismissed the notion that he's missed out on anyone in FAgency that didn't cost way too much.

With a guy like Woodson TT must have a price in mind and simply won't go over it. If we get him it will be at a fair price.

It's like when my dad took me out to look at cars when I was a teen. He passed by five or six cars I really liked.

"Too much." the "Ol boy said.

We ended up getting a '76 Grand Prix for a song. What a great car! (And its speedometer went all the way up to 140 for a good reason.)

I'm holding my breath to see what kind of team TT puts on the field this year. I mean we know who most of the guys will be, but what attitude will they bring to the field. Honestly, this year I hardly care what the record will be. I just want to watch a team play smashmouth tough for the first time in ten years. The wins will come. Maybe this year. Maybe the year after. But they're going to come.

Like you, Shamrock, I don't see where most of the anti-TT feelings come from. The only legitimate complaint is how we lack players on the O'line. That has yet to be addressed, but we still have a few months to figure that out.

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 07:54 AM
I'm still thinking the lack of attention to the o-line at the moment is because TT wants to see how the guys he has do learning the zone blocking scheme in which they are more likely to be effective. They sucked last year against the run, but that is no indication of how they will do this year when their assignments will be completely different.

Patler
04-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Well, Lucier is a nothing signing. White, Cole, and Peterson were ERFAs or RFAs, so that was hard to get done. Most teams have those signings. The one thing he did do was frontload contracts. I like some of the signings. I'd just like to see three more positions (CB, LB, and OG/OC) solidified before the draft. There's not much out there anymore. I will feel better if Woodson and Barrett Green are signed.

Does anybody think we should try to resign Na'il Diggs?

Yes, the RFAs had to be signed, and that's my point. The cap space had to be used for lots of roster spots, not just a couple high priced ones. The Packers can become a lot better by replacing a couple starters and drastically improving roster spots 30-53.

Lucier was a nothing signing, but could turn out to be one of those very good deals that come up once in a while. The guy was fairly highly thought of his first couple years, but has been held back by injuries. Some players do recover from early career injury setbacks to become decent players. (Think Mike Flanagan here!)

I for one would be very pleased to see Diggs re-signed for a more reaonable price. He was a very good linebacker just a few years ago. I'm not sure how much he can or can't recover from his injuries last year.

I would like to see Woodson or another corner come in, but I am less concerned with that than I am with LB and the O-line.

Bretsky
04-04-2006, 08:06 AM
"I would like to see Woodson or another corner come in, but I am less concerned with that than I am with LB and the O-line."

I agree with you here, but there were several players that could have helped us there and TT neglected to pursue them. That is the frustration with TT. He entered this free agency like he was 10 Million under the cap instead of 30+, and besides Pickett (who is really a slight younger upgrade over Grady) and Manual (who is an unproven upgrade), TT has done little to improve the talent on our roster.

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Most of the people that have been mentioned repeatedly that we didn't sign ended up with monster contracts. Monster contracts are not what we're after right now. I think TT's going after depth which is what we're sorely lacking and then it's occurred to me that when he feels the team can stand on its own again, he might toss some more money around.

If you spend monster money on a FA and they blow out a knee, who do you have behind him?

Patler
04-04-2006, 08:53 AM
If you spend monster money on a FA and they blow out a knee, who do you have behind him?

Hopefully, a top-notch medical staff! :lol:

GBRulz
04-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately, with the raise in the salary cap this year, it really hurt teams like the Packers (teams with lots of cash) to be productive in FA without OVER PAYING players.

You didn't see a whole lot of teams cutting players to stay under the cap, so the few good FA's to go around, well many were overpaid.

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Most of the people that have been mentioned repeatedly that we didn't sign ended up with monster contracts. Monster contracts are not what we're after right now.

Actually, there were plenty of bargains. If you look closer at a lot of these contracts, they were backloaded. We could have snagged a few good players by giving them legit upfront money--without hurting the future cap that much.

Some guys that I think would have helped that signed for relatively reasonable deals:

WR Antonio Bryant - He signed for less than $4M/year, and the contract was backloaded. His cap number for 2006 is $2.94M. We could have probably gotten him for a frontloaded contract at $3.5M/year with a $6M roster bonus.

WR David Givens - He signed for a little under $5M/year, but the contract was also backloaded. His signing bonus was only $6M and his cap number for 2006 is $2M. We could have probably gotten him for a frontloaded contract for $4M/year with a $6M roster bonus.

OG Stephen Neal - He resigned with New England for around $2.5M/year, but he only got a $3.2M signing bonus and his cap number for 2006 is $1.4M. We could have probably gotten him for $2.5M/year with a $4M roster bonus.

OC Justin Hartwig - He signed for $3.4M/year. He got a $7M signing bonus. It would have probably taken around $3.5M/year with $7M roster bonus to get him, but might have been worth it.

I would have liked to see a big name LB to pair with Barnett and possibly Hawk, but I'm hopeful that Taylor (and possibly Green) can get it done.

LB Akin Ayodele - He signed for $3.4M/year with a $5.5M signing bonus. His 2006 cap number is $1.7M. We could have gotten him with a frontloaded contract for $3.5M/year and a $6M roster bonus.

CB Deshea Townsend - He signed for just $2M/year and a $1M signing bonus. Would have been a cheap veteran.

CB Andre Dyson - He signed for just over $2M/year and a $4M signing bonus. Would have been a cheap veteran.

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Good one, Shamrock. We've got to find you an avatar... :smile:

Michele, seems the key phrase there is "few good FAs." The annual salary cap cuts that put good FA's on the market never happened this year.

Patler
04-04-2006, 09:36 AM

How about this one???

GBRulz
04-04-2006, 09:37 AM
I totally agree, Zig. There wasn't much of a salary cap casualty "epidemic" this year because of the increase in the overall cap.

I don't think any of is really expected TT to go out and get crazy in FA, but with all the holes to fill, we certainly could have done better than what we've done so far....

I'm guessing our camp will be full of undrafted rookies- TT hoping to find that diamond in the rough.

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 09:47 AM

How about this one???I KNEW you'd be around!! We've been waiting for you! :razz: :razz:

Patler
04-04-2006, 09:50 AM

How about this one???I KNEW you'd be around!! We've been waiting for you! :razz: :razz:

Who? Its an avatar readily availabler on a website.

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 09:51 AM
I think it suits you.

Patler
04-04-2006, 09:54 AM
But only certain individuals would pick this one out.

...such as one who was directed there by a response to his first ever posting on this board.
:wink:

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Sneaky little thing, aren't ya???

packrulz
04-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Over half of those players he resigned were our own players, so with all the injuries we had last year TT must feel it's not necessary to "rebuild". I can see where he's coming from, with the new cap teams are overpaying (& backloading contracts), for some of these players and that will be a burden in years to come. Personally, I'm not that thrilled with the FA's availiable. They all have question marks with a big pricetag. Are they really worth that much $$$? TT has been smart by signing young guys who are proven like Pickett & Manuel. If Brett & Walker come back I'd think the Pack might do alright. I'd still trade a 4th round pick for Faine though.

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 03:24 PM
I read this morning that another team was interested in Faine. Who was that?

Partial
04-04-2006, 03:26 PM
He should really go ahead and make that trade. It will be a great move.

Rastak
04-04-2006, 03:26 PM
I read this morning that another team was interested in Faine. Who was that?

Eagles.

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Thank you. Carry on.

Charles Woodson
04-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Hmm so u ask if TT has done anything. IMO he has. He signed some ppl like AK and manel and pickett. My big thing is that, TT hasnt done enuff. He had a chance in Adam and Charles but he didnt. There were many key players out there that he could have at least attempted to get but he didnt. Unless he pulls off something big, i dont think we have a near shot at the SB. We will be better then last year, but thats cause people are coming off injury. and also most of the people that he signed were ppl who were on the team. I dont know if this is true, but i heard someone say that TT's theory was this. He doesnt like FA because its to much of a risk, but also he thinks that if he brings in better people it would make the exsisting starter feel like he hasnt done anythng. FA's are good, because if they dont become the starter, they push the other people to do better because they could have there role taken away.

Kiwon
04-04-2006, 04:59 PM
I dont know if this is true, but i heard someone say that TT's theory was this. He doesnt like FA because its to much of a risk, but also he thinks that if he brings in better people it would make the exsisting starter feel like he hasnt done anythng. FA's are good, because if they dont become the starter, they push the other people to do better because they could have there role taken away.

This last point was true with William Henderson.

A few years ago, all we heard was that William Henderson was finished and ineffective as a blocker. They signed a younger Nick Luchey (with a $1 million SB as I recall) and boom...Henderson is back on his game. Henderson was able to take some plays off and his career was extended. But now, Luchey is gone, Henderson signed a new 2 year contract and has kept his starting assignment.

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 05:03 PM
What happened to Luchey?

Charles Woodson
04-04-2006, 05:04 PM
I dont know if this is true, but i heard someone say that TT's theory was this. He doesnt like FA because its to much of a risk, but also he thinks that if he brings in better people it would make the exsisting starter feel like he hasnt done anythng. FA's are good, because if they dont become the starter, they push the other people to do better because they could have there role taken away.

This last point was true with William Henderson.

A few years ago, all we heard was that William Henderson was finished and ineffective as a blocker. They signed a younger Nick Luchey (with a $1 SB as I recall) and boom...Henderson is back on his game. Henderson was able to take some plays off and his career was extended. But now, Luchey is gone, Henderson signed a new 2 year contract and has kept his starting assignment.

Yeah thats why i dont care if some of the mid level FA's are busts, cause thier way, someone is going to start, and someone is going to be pushed to reach theier better potential

billy_oliver880
04-04-2006, 05:05 PM
What happened to Luchey?

Prolly hanging with our good buddy Cledious. Cloudious? Cladious? HAHA Screw it you all know who I am talking about.

MJZiggy
04-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Livin' in the U-Haul van?

billy_oliver880
04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Livin' in the U-Haul van?

I mean...who here hasn't dreamed that dream... :lol:

Kiwon
04-04-2006, 05:12 PM
What happened to Luchey?

He went back to the Bengals last year. He can't have any complaints with the Packers. Sherman gave him every chance to win the FB position, but Henderson was too strong and Luchey was too undisciplined with his eating to stay with the team after Vonta Leach came along.