PDA

View Full Version : Thursday OTA Report *Packerrats Copyright*

RashanGary
06-08-2006, 01:59 PM
The Good

Ahmad Carroll - Again, I didn't see any catches on his side. At one point I thought I saw him get in really bad position, but then then the Saftey came accross and deflected the pass. He used his help and the defense made the play. He also looks really strong and physical. He's competitive as hell.

Marviel Underwood - Intercepted a Favre pass over the middle during a red-zone drill

Nick Barnett - Had a nice interception in the red zone as well. Looked pretty good with the ball in his hands. Barnett is a worker. He might not be as stout as you like them but he works is tail off.

Greg Jennings - Again, he didn't drop one punt or pass all day long. Jennings has a natural feel for the ball while it's in the air. You look at Ferguson and Rodgers dance around and eventually get in position to make a grab and then you watch Jennings take two steps, stand there and have the ball hit him right in the hands. It's pretty impressive, the ball isn't even coming down and he's just standing there waiting. He's a natural. At one point, Favre threw a pretty hard pass and Jennings reached out. It was barely on this finger tips and he caught the ball almost effortlessly. I love this kid. If I could change my name from Nick Collins to Greg Jennings right now I would.

Nick Collins - He looks a little bigger. This is just my impression, but I think he's the biggest saftey we have this year. I don't remember having that impression last year. Again, he's mostly just playing deep coverage. On most plays, his assignment seems pretty simple. Manuel on the other hand seems to have a pretty complicated assignment of both run defense and a little zone. I think the coaches are doing a good job putting him in a place to succeed. I think he's going to have a big year. After seeing that they are not going to complicate things for him, it cemented it for me.

Starting WR's - Driver, Gardner, Ferg and Boerigter seem to be getting the most work with the #1's. Ruvell Martin made a nice catch on a fade as did Boerigter. I think Martin has a place on the team as a Red Zone target. He is big. He has good hands and balance. He's not as impressive getting separation, but in the tight quarters of the endzone he has a place.

The Bad

Ferguson - Dropped a punt or two. Dropped at least one shoulda been caught ball. It seems petty, but this is the exact shit we go crazy over during a real game. He made a nice leaping catch in the endzone but other than that he just keeps showing his crappy ass ball skills. Physically, he's dominate. He needs to be playing special teams.

Boerigter - He's consistant at what he does, but he's not special at all. He brings size and can strech the field a little, but he's pretty stiff and doesn't really have any exposion to get separation. He's good when using his body much like Ruvell Martin. I don't like him.

Random Notes

Mike Shermans practices were largely composed of position drills. McCarthy has very few position drills. Almost all practice is game like. It's offense vs defense for the most part but even when they are separated, they line up and run plays Offense vs offense *playing D* and defense vs defense *playing O*. There are drills, but very few compared to Shermans practices. I don't know what it means, but it's definitly different.

Brett's buddy TT was gone. Brett had to talk to Driver and McCarthy today.

red
06-08-2006, 02:10 PM
thanks for the info nick, i love jennings too. can't wait to see how his career unfolds

Bossman641
06-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Nick,

Thanks for the report. I'm really glad to hear that about Carroll, can never have enough good corners. The more I hear about Jennings the more impressed I am. Looks like we finally might have drafted an offensive rookie who contributes right away. Disappointing to hear about Ferguson and his continuing lack on consistency.

Thanks again

Partial
06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
nice report!

anyone ever get the sense when they see the photos of TT that he is itchin' to go get on the field? That dude still looks like a baller to me. An old baller.

RashanGary
06-08-2006, 02:20 PM
On a side note....

Garner acctually catches the ball. If he brings it, he should beat out Ferg. They have about the same build. I think Ferg gets the slight edge physically. Gardner looks to be carrying a little extra fat. Gardner has much better ball skills. IMO he is the better WR.

I was pretty tough on Gardner because I thought he looked out of shape, but he caught alot of balls today. He didn't drop anything.

Partial
06-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Nick,

where have they been playing hodge primarily? Who's getting the snaps at 2nd string DE?

RashanGary
06-08-2006, 02:26 PM
I watch more DB's and WR's because without tackling or real blocking, I can't tell WTF is going on in the run game.

Hodge was in the middle on second team from what I saw. I didn't pay too close attn though. When pads are on, I'll notice the LB's more.

Tony Oday
06-08-2006, 02:28 PM
LOL what if carrol beats out either Harris or Woodson. THAT would be comedy in the making!

Travbrew
06-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Sweet report Nick, thanks and keep 'em coming.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-08-2006, 04:44 PM
anyone ever get the sense when they see the photos of TT that he is itchin' to go get on the field? That dude still looks like a baller to me. An old baller.

Thompson would be a kicker today if he was still playing. No way some polar bear like thompson can play LB today. Look at Hawk and then look at thompson...thompson looks more like a gay dude who'd rather go shopping than play football.

Partial
06-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Tank, I have no idea of how physique, but I would put 100 dollars on TT in a brawl.

MJZiggy
06-08-2006, 04:55 PM

Thompson would be a kicker today if he was still playing. No way some polar bear like thompson can play LB today. Look at Hawk and then look at thompson...thompson looks more like a gay dude who'd rather go shopping than play football.

Evidently he could if he wanted:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/articles/articlesNewsDetail.jsp?id=46108

Simoneau's 2005 season may best be remembered for his debut at kicker in the week 2 win over the 49ers. With David Akers sidelined with a hamstring injury, Simoneau rushed onto the field and booted a PAT for his first NFL points and became the first linebacker to kick a PAT for the Eagles since Dave Lloyd did so (7 times) in 1965.

In the process, Simoneau became the first defensive player to convert a PAT since Atlanta's Rick Bryant vs. Detroit on Sept. 8, 1985. He was also the first defensive player in the NFL to kick a PAT since Oilers linebacker Ted Thompson kicked four PATs at the Jets (11/23/80).

Did that make your man crush any stronger? Naw...impossible! :mrgreen:

Anti-Polar Bear
06-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Thompson actually kicked feild goals? man, that is so gay. Thompson was lucky to have played in then NFL. He offered to have sexual a relationship with Bud Phillips, I believe, for a roster spot.

MJZiggy
06-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Ooohhh let's not get catty about it.

Murphy37
06-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks Nick, but where are the pictures? I was hoping to get a few close up shots of Whittaker's ass. I'll pay you................................let me know

CaptainKickass
06-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Dang!

MJZiggy with the proverbial smack down!

*ouch*

Anti-Polar Bear
06-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Believe what you may
But I am truly not gay

:idea:

MadtownPacker
06-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Great report NC!!

Im telling you guys, watch out for Carroll. The A-Car is still boarding!!!!!!