PDA

View Full Version : A non Favre thread! Packer history question.....

Rastak
07-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Okay, so I admit my knowledge of the Packers history is limited.

I have a couple of questions.

1) How did the Packers become publicly owned?

I have to admit, I envy the hell out of you guys for that. They must been owned privately at some point. How did this come to be?

2) I recall some stock being issued a while back which was non-voting stock. Did I dream this or are all shares sold voting stock?

3) Stock is bought and sold. Why hasn't someone tried to buy a mojority of shares? I would think this would be quite the dream for a very rich Packer fan.

I figured you guys could use a break from the Favre wars and I've actually been meaning to ask this for a long time.

Willard
07-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Are you saying that Favre could buy a majority of Packer stock, and name himself starting QB?

HarveyWallbangers
07-12-2008, 04:00 PM
We get to vote on some menial issues--like the board members and stuff.

falco
07-12-2008, 04:00 PM

I have to admit, I envy the hell out of you guys for that. They must been owned privately at some point. How did this come to be?

2) I recall some stock being issued a while back which was non-voting stock. Did I dream this or are all shares sold voting stock?

3) Stock is bought and sold. Why hasn't someone tried to buy a mojority of shares? I would think this would be quite the dream for a very rich Packer fan.

I figured you guys could use a break from the Favre wars and I've actually been meaning to ask this for a long time.

you bastard! you're trying to distract us while you steal favre away - I'm watching you buddy

mmmdk
07-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Are you saying that Favre could buy a majority of Packer stock, and name himself starting QB?

:lol:

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 04:02 PM
As the story goes, I think they decided to take it public so that somebody like Red McCombs couldn't buy the team. McCombs later went on to buy some lesser franchise.

twoseven
07-12-2008, 04:03 PM

you bastard! you're trying to distract us while you steal favre away - I'm watching you buddyWas thinking the same thing, look at the Viking fan trying to change the Brett Favre channel.

Rastak
07-12-2008, 04:03 PM

you bastard! you're trying to distract us while you steal favre away - I'm watching you buddy

LOL.....no, I really am interested and I thought you guys could use a break, but I guess not.

Rastak
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
We get to vote on some menial issues--like the board members and stuff.

That is cool. I didn't realize the board was elected by all shareholders.

mmmdk
07-12-2008, 04:05 PM

LOL.....no, I really am interested and I thought you guys could use a break, but I guess not.

So you say... :lol: I'm still laughing!

falco
07-12-2008, 04:06 PM

what makes you say that :shock:

i would imagine it could be possible for sometime to buy all the stock but I think it would be a logistical nightmare - the real problem would be that in order to effectively to do it, you'd have to offer each individual an enormously high price for them to justify the sale, and it just wouldn't happen

I'm sure at some point the various levels of government would interfere, given the investment they've put into the packers as a community owned organization, or at a minimum they wouldn't be as cooperative in the future

mmmdk
07-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Who wants my chicken soup recipe???

3irty1
07-12-2008, 04:09 PM
To my knowledge the Packers were first sponsored by the Indian Packing Company who was the employer of Curly Lambeau and then later bought by Lambeau and other backers leading to the public ownership we have today.

The stock in the Packers is not stock as you know it. Its a donation of money and a certificate. There is not always stock available to buy so most stockholders are proud to support the team. The last time stock was available it was for the renovations to Lambeau Field.

mmmdk
07-12-2008, 04:12 PM

You need good stock for my chicken soup.

Rastak
07-12-2008, 04:13 PM
To my knowledge the Packers were first sponsored by the Indian Packing Company who was the employer of Curly Lambeau and then later bought by Lambeau and other backers leading to the public ownership we have today.

The stock in the Packers is not stock as you know it. Its a donation of money and a certificate. There is not always stock available to buy so most stockholders are proud to support the team. The last time stock was available it was for the renovations to Lambeau Field.

When did the current format go into place?

It sounds kind of like a hybrid. It isn't really stock but allows you to vote on board members which obviously a say in how things are run.

Does a person get one vote for each certificate they own?

3irty1
07-12-2008, 04:20 PM

It sounds kind of like a hybrid. It isn't really stock but allows you to vote on board members which obviously a say in how things are run.

You can read everything here if you are really interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Green_Bay_Packers

From Wikipedia:
"Based on the original "Articles of Incorporation for the (then) Green Bay Football Corporation" put into place in 1923, if the Packers franchise was sold, after the payment of all expenses, any remaining monies would go to the Sullivan-Wallen Post of the American Legion in order to build "a proper soldier's memorial." This stipulation was enacted to ensure the club remained in Green Bay and that there could never be any financial enhancement for the shareholders. At the November 1997 annual meeting, shareholders voted to change the beneficiary from the Sullivan-Wallen Post to the Green Bay Packers Foundation."

Rastak
07-12-2008, 04:22 PM

You can read everything here if you are really interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Green_Bay_Packers

From Wikipedia:
"Based on the original "Articles of Incorporation for the (then) Green Bay Football Corporation" put into place in 1923, if the Packers franchise was sold, after the payment of all expenses, any remaining monies would go to the Sullivan-Wallen Post of the American Legion in order to build "a proper soldier's memorial." This stipulation was enacted to ensure the club remained in Green Bay and that there could never be any financial enhancement for the shareholders. At the November 1997 annual meeting, shareholders voted to change the beneficiary from the Sullivan-Wallen Post to the Green Bay Packers Foundation."

Thx!

It started with a semi-smartassed comment I made yesterday and then I realized I really didn't understand the history so I should STFU until I do.

falco
07-12-2008, 04:36 PM
...then I realized I really didn't understand the history so I should STFU until I do.

in this regard, you are unique amongst your peers here :D

Rastak
07-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Ok, I got it now. There is a limit to the number of shares someone can hold.

Interesting article. It sounds like this was in place almost from the start.

MJZiggy
07-12-2008, 04:41 PM
The other detail I recall from the last offering was that once you buy the stock, you cannot sell it. You can bequeath it, but not sell it like a normally traded stock.

MJZiggy
07-12-2008, 04:42 PM

I want it.

mmmdk
07-12-2008, 06:31 PM

I want it.

Hey MJ - it's good to be back a la Favre. :D