PDA

View Full Version : Wilde Has The Best Summation Of Thompson Today

pbmax
07-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Here is the link:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/topstories/295949

digitaldean
07-12-2008, 05:11 PM
TT has not trashed Brett publicly despite the reneging Favre did in March.

TT has not trashed Brett despite Favre acting like a spoiled dumb a** brat and letting mommy, brother and his "I still need my commission" agent to do his dirty work.

As much as this pains TT haters like Woody, Thompson has had to deal with all sorts of bull crap from fans who worship Favre no matter what.

Brett has done a ton for this team, no question. But these past 5 months from him have been a complete and utter embarrassment. Total lack of character, IMO.

The only one to burn any bridges here is Brett and the whole Favre clan who made those comments on TT.

I'll criticize TT when it's necessary and have done so in the past. This case is NOT one of those times.

twoseven
07-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Asked who gives the Packers a better chance to win in 2008, Rodgers or Favre, Thompson replied, "Right now, we'd say Aaron Rodgers, because Aaron Rodgers is on the active roster." :lol:

VegasPackFan
07-12-2008, 05:18 PM
I agree 100% TO THAT ^^^^^^

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 05:30 PM
"Mike (McCarthy) and I talked about it, and we both agreed that it would still be a good idea (for Favre to play)," Thompson said. "Mike called Brett back and said, Great, we'd like to come and talk to you, sit and talk to you.' ''

my interpretation: Favre must officially unretire before TT talks about Bretts role on the team. TT and Coach both agreed that it would be a good idea for Brett to keep playing. Based on the quote above, Brett will unretire and most likely beat out Rodgers in a training camp position battle to once again QB the Packers to another NFC north crown.

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 05:35 PM

TT has not trashed Brett despite Favre acting like a spoiled dumb a** brat and letting mommy, brother and his "I still need my commission" agent to do his dirty work.

As much as this pains TT haters like Woody, Thompson has had to deal with all sorts of bull crap from fans who worship Favre no matter what.

Brett has done a ton for this team, no question. But these past 5 months from him have been a complete and utter embarrassment. Total lack of character, IMO.

The only one to burn any bridges here is Brett and the whole Favre clan who made those comments on TT.

I'll criticize TT when it's necessary and have done so in the past. This case is NOT one of those times.

I want the entire FORUM to believe this is a fact please. I don't hate.

I'm not a Ted Thompson hater and to infer I am. Is unfair and a kick in the head I can't get up off the ground from and defend.

I DON'T HATE TED THOMPSON. I DON'T ALLOW ANYONE THAT MUCH POWER OVER ME.

PackerTimer
07-12-2008, 05:38 PM
"Mike (McCarthy) and I talked about it, and we both agreed that it would still be a good idea (for Favre to play)," Thompson said. "Mike called Brett back and said, Great, we'd like to come and talk to you, sit and talk to you.' ''

my interpretation: Favre must officially unretire before TT talks about Bretts role on the team. TT and Coach both agreed that it would be a good idea for Brett to keep playing. Based on the quote above, Brett will unretire and most likely beat out Rodgers in a training camp position battle to once again QB the Packers to another NFC north crown.

I think you are misreading TT on this. It was a good idea at the time, in March, not now. If and when he unretires, the Packers have moved on and he'll more than likely be traded. I wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't think you'll ever see Favre in Packer jersey again.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 05:38 PM

I've never seen you this worked up before digital dean. I like it!

motife
07-12-2008, 05:40 PM
SAT., JUL 12, 2008 - 4:23 PM
Packers: Thompson unsure where Favre saga will go
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY -- The Green Bay Packers aren't ruling out the slim possibility Brett Favre could be on their 2008 roster -- at least, not publicly -- or the possibility of trading the legendary quarterback. But general manager Ted Thompson reiterated Saturday afternoon that Aaron Rodgers is the team's starter, despite Favre's recent unretirement talk.

Calling the situation still "volatile" and admitting "it's been a tough few days," Thompson said in a half-hour interview the team has no intention of honoring Favre's written request for his outright release, and the club will wait and see what its next move will be if and when Favre formally applies for reinstatement with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

"Our stance is that Brett, just like any other retired player, has the option to ask the commissioner for reinstatement," said Thompson, who placed Favre on the reserve/retired list April 25, just over six weeks after Favre's emotional March 6 retirement news conference. "If he does that, he'll go on our active roster. Then we'll see how it goes after that. We don't know where that goes."

Asked if he would consider releasing Favre as Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, had requested, Thompson replied, "We have no plans to release him."

Attempts to reach Favre and Cook were unsuccessful. The Favre camp has been getting its message out through ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Asked if the team is willing to trade Favre if it comes to that, Thompson said simply, "I don't know that we need to talk about hypotheticals. The man's still retired."

If that changes, and Favre does apply for reinstatement and has to go back on the Packers' 80-man roster, Thompson wouldn't say what role Favre would play. Thompson said the idea that Favre could only return as Rodgers' backup was "misinterpreted," but Thompson also stopped short of saying if Favre came back there would be an open competition in training camp for the starting job.

"If he goes back on our roster, whatever role he might perform for us is yet to be determined," Thompson said, before adding, "Aaron Rodgers is our starting quarterback."

Asked who gives the Packers a better chance to win in 2008, Rodgers or Favre, Thompson replied, "Right now, we'd say Aaron Rodgers, because Aaron Rodgers is on the active roster."

Such a scenario -- having Favre on the active roster, at a $12 million base salary, competing with or backing up Rodgers -- would seem to be an an untenable position for the Packers. Asked if the club could really do that, Thompson replied, "I think we could. I grant you that there'd be some awkward moments, but at the end of the day, football players are football players.

"There's so much uncertainty and what-ifs. One day something looks untenable and then the next day it looks like it might work. I don't think you can reach for absolutes here."

Asked if there'd be a risk of Favre coming to camp and creating not only a distraction but divisive situation where the locker room would be split between "Favre guys" (mostly veterans) and "Rodgers guys" (younger players), Thompson replied, "I think this is a pretty sound team. I understand where you're going with it, but I don't know that we could predict that would happen. We don't have the answers on any of these things right now. We have to think them through. I don't know if you can draw that conclusion just yet."

Thompson conducted interviews Saturday with the Associated Press and the state's three major newspapers -- the State Journal, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and the Green Bay Press-Gazette. This marked the first time Thompson or coach Mike McCarthy had publicly addressed Favre's desire to play again since his "itch" to return broke July 2.

Presumably, the Packers don't really want Favre back after all that's happened. Essentially, their message is they aren't going to free him to sign with any of the league's other 31 teams -- especially not NFC North division rivals Minnesota, Chicago or Detroit -- and he won't be given his starting job back if he returns to Green Bay.

The most likely scenario would have Favre petitioning the league for reinstatement and the Packers trading him to an AFC team, or at least an NFC team outside the division. Among the teams that fit that profile are the Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Ravens, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets, Carolina Panthers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins.

The Packers' best-case scenario, in which Favre would've simply stayed retired, almost certainly won't happen. The Packers went so far as to send an intermediary down to Mississippi last week to try to talk Favre into staying retired, but their attempt failed.

Favre would likely have high trade value, in part because of the draw he'd be for his new team's attendance and marketing endeavors, but whether the Packers could get a first-round pick for a player who'll turn 39 on Oct. 10 remains to be seen.

Asked to assess Favre as a player, Thompson replied, "We felt like at the conclusion of the season that he was still a very good player. He was a first-team all-pro player. We felt he had a good year and we feel like he, to quote Mike, a couple, three years left.' ''

That's what the Packers were thinking when, just three weeks after his tearful farewell, Favre contacted McCarthy and told him of his desire to come back.

As the State Journal and FoxSports.com reported Friday, Favre had his chance to come back in late March, and the team had agreed to embrace his return, only to have Favre change his mind yet again and stay retired. Thompson confirmed those events Saturday.

Two days later, Favre called and told McCarthy that he and his wife, Deanna, had talked it over and decided he would stay retired.

Asked if at that point he made up his mind that the team was moving on, Thompson replied, "I don't know there was an exact date where we said we were going to move on. But we were faced with the realization we'd have to move forward without Brett as our quarterback.

"I've never been through anything quite like this. But again, the Packers are going to do the right thing. And again, Brett hasn't done anything wrong. If he's having a change of heart, then we'll work our way through it and try to do what 's best for the team."

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 05:40 PM

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 05:44 PM

I think you are misreading TT on this. It was a good idea at the time, in March, not now. If and when he unretires, the Packers have moved on and he'll more than likely be traded. I wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't think you'll ever see Favre in Packer jersey again.

we'll see what happens. I hope you are wrong

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 05:44 PM

I see. So will you concede extreme loathing? :lol:

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 05:52 PM

I see. So will you concede extreme loathing? :lol:

Scott please. You shame yourself. :idea:

I just don't see Ted Thompson as 'the wonder boy' some here do. I see a man that's led. With Favre gone... just maybe, he'll step properly into the role we need to expect of him. Winning a Super Bowl the ' Big Payoff '.

I"ll settle for a reasonable effort to get us to ' the game '.

GoPackGo
07-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I DON'T ALLOW ANYONE THAT MUCH POWER OVER ME.

Are you on medication now or something? You used to have conniption fits pretty regularly

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 06:00 PM

Are you on medication now or something? You used to have conniption fits pretty regularly

He's found peace since then in the martial arts.

http://popsci.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/19/mr_six_old_guy_lg.jpg

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 06:06 PM

I don't need medication doctor. I'm very sane and cooler, more sensible than a lot of people that frequent this forum :)

I read well and I follow Packer ongoing happenings very well. I'm a sincere and dedicated Packer fan that wants to see our team win a Super Bowl. I'm also appreciative, very thankful for all I've seen from Brett Favre.

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 06:07 PM

He's found peace since then in the martial arts.

http://popsci.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/19/mr_six_old_guy_lg.jpg

Your really ill Scott. :idea:

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm also appreciative, very thankful for all I've seen from Scott Campbell.

Your welcome Woody. Anytime.

FritzDontBlitz
07-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm pretty impressed with TT's ability to dance through the minefield of questions he's facing. He's stroking A-Rod's ego while being diplomatic about Brett's situation at the same time. I gotta give the man his propers for his answers.

Lurker64
07-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty impressed with TT's ability to dance through the minefield of questions he's facing. He's stroking A-Rod's ego while being diplomatic about Brett's situation at the same time. I gotta give the man his propers for his answers.

Yeah, he's been much more diplomatic than he has in the past. I'm impressed. Thompson is successfully juggling this while walking a tightrope over a minefield. I couldn't really ask him to handle it any better.

MJZiggy
07-12-2008, 06:27 PM

I agree. I didn't think there was any way for TT to do anything to save any kind of face for the organization in light of public opinion, but this might have done just that.

Scott Campbell
07-12-2008, 06:29 PM

I agree. I didn't think there was any way for TT to do anything to save any kind of face for the organization in light of public opinion, but this might have done just that.

Well, this is just Chapter 36 of Brett's Trapped In Ted's Closet, with another 15 or so to go. So a lot can still happen.

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm also appreciative, very thankful for all I've seen from Scott Campbell.

Your welcome Woody. Anytime.

Now there's that tarnished Scott Campbell ego clearly demonstrated. There's help out there for you Scott. :idea:

woodbuck27
07-12-2008, 06:32 PM

Just give him enough time. :D

digitaldean
07-12-2008, 07:50 PM

Scott,

I had to sign off for awhile. I'm so upset with all those bashing the Packers.

Favre has had his way for the past several years and got all sorts of special treatment. For that I DO fault the Packers.

But other than that, I have lost a little respect for Brett. This whole escapade is utter nonsense.

The Shadow
07-12-2008, 07:52 PM
[quote=Scott Campbell]

Scott,

Favre has had his way for the past several years and got all sorts of special treatment. For that I DO fault the Packers.

But other than that, I have lost a little respect for Brett. This whole escapade is utter nonsense.[/quot

I am on board with that sentiment.

cpk1994
07-13-2008, 01:31 PM

Scott,

But other than that, I have lost a little respect for Brett. This whole escapade is utter nonsense.Actually fault Mike Sherman more than anybody. He was the biggest enabler of them all.

Harlan Huckleby
07-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Actually fault Mike Sherman more than anybody. He was the biggest enabler of them all.

I knew it, it was only a matter of time.

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Actually fault Mike Sherman more than anybody. He was the biggest enabler of them all.

The media has been saying it for days.

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 02:01 PM

Writers have been saying it for days.

Partial
07-13-2008, 03:58 PM

Why does everyone keep saying this?!? They've had OTAs and a couple of minicamps... These are primarily to keep guys in shape and for the team to get to know one another.

The vast majority of the practice in pads and implementation of the offense is in TC. Besides, you don't think the savy vet and best quarterback to ever play the game couldn't pick up 10 new plays? Nonsense.

The Shadow
07-13-2008, 04:00 PM

Why does everyone keep saying this?!? They've had OTAs and a couple of minicamps... These are primarily to keep guys in shape and for the team to get to know one another.

The vast majority of the practice in pads and implementation of the offense is in TC. Besides, you don't think the savy vet and best quarterback to ever play the game couldn't pick up 10 new plays? Nonsense.

Johnny Unitas is dead, so no.

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Lol, Shadow. P, McCarthy installs his offense in minicamp. The people who are expressing caution against ASSUMING that Favre has to be the best player are those that are old enough to feel what life is like at 38, who could feel what Favre was talking about at his retirement and know what it feels like to try and keep up your performance level as you age. The other question is one of commitment.

Favre said "give me my helmet" M3 asked are you 100% committed, and Favre said no.

No one is saying DON'T play him. I'm hearing a lot of "let's be cautious about it and not make any assumptions based on the past because the past is in the past."

In March, 2 months after that loss, he was still physically dragged down and mentally beat.

woodbuck27
07-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Lol, Shadow. P, McCarthy installs his offense in minicamp. The people who are expressing caution against ASSUMING that Favre has to be the best player are those that are old enough to feel what life is like at 38, who could feel what Favre was talking about at his retirement and know what it feels like to try and keep up your performance level as you age. The other question is one of commitment.

Favre said "give me my helmet" M3 asked are you 100% committed, and Favre said no.

No one is saying DON'T play him. I'm hearing a lot of "let's be cautious about it and not make any assumptions based on the past because the past is in the past."

In March, 2 months after that loss, he was still physically dragged down and mentally beat.

After that loss to the Giants and on 'the now famous Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy timeline'.

When was the first time that Ted Thompson, our Packer GM and representing Packer Upper management. Sat down personally to show Favre any real support for 2008 MJ?

Tyrone Bigguns
07-13-2008, 05:44 PM

Johnny Unitas is dead, so no.

Don't you mean Otto Graham? :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
07-13-2008, 05:49 PM

After that loss to the Giants and on 'the now famous Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy timeline'.

When was the first time that Ted Thompson, our Packer GM and representing Packer Upper management. Sat down personally to show Favre any real support for 2008 MJ?

He probably was going to get around to it when he got done blowin' the rest of the team. :roll:

I guess he forgot that Brett is more important than the rest of the TEAM!

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 06:09 PM

When was the first time that Ted Thompson, our Packer GM and representing Packer Upper management. Sat down personally to show Favre any real support for 2008 MJ?March 4 IIRC. Then again in May when he stopped down to visit in Hattiesburg.

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 06:54 PM

When was the first time that Ted Thompson, our Packer GM and representing Packer Upper management. Sat down personally to show Favre any real support for 2008 MJ?March 4 IIRC. Then again in May when he stopped down to visit in Hattiesburg.

Just when you think you've seen the pinnacle of stupidity...............I wonder if Canada is embarrassed?

Deputy Nutz
07-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Scott,

But other than that, I have lost a little respect for Brett. This whole escapade is utter nonsense.

Your past post was so, lets see, "What have you done for me lately?" Lets run Favre through the muck attack him personally and his family. Yet as soon as he is again the starting QB for the Packers you all are gong to have your Favre jerseys on screaming at the top of your lungs for your hero. Totally forgetting the bullshit that you and everyone else are so bold to spew about him. The life of the fan.

For one I think Ted Thompson and the Packers are in a very difficult position none of which can be blamed on them. Like Thompson said in the interview, he doesn't blame Favre for this situation, Favre wants to play football. I personally don't exactly like the way this has all been handled by the Favre clan, still I ain't gonna sit here on a forum and slander the guy, especially after all he has done for the Packer organization as a player and a person.

I am cool with the way Thompson has handled this situation, very dicey and no easy way out. Too many promises made. Thompson and McCarthy were more than happy to have Favre back in late March, and Favre again turned back to retirement. So I think the Packers do wonder about Favre's commitment to football in 2008, and as far as Favre coming back and being the starting QB the Packers are going to make him prove that he is totally committed to football. Right now Aaron Rodgers is the committed player, he is like Thompson said the best answer at QB for the Packers because he is on the roster, and has been to the OTAs and mini camps. Until Favre can show up to training camp and show that he is emotionally, mentally, and physically repaired and ready to go for 2008 Aaron Rodgers is the starting QB.

digitaldean
07-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Nutz,

There's no way it's a "what have you done for me lately" response.

I am just tired of this BS soap opera Favre has pulled the last few seasons.

Favre has let everyone except himself reply to this mess. TT feels the heat from the fans and has gone on virtually every major news outlet to put out his side of the story. Brett is well...silent. If all this stuff is being said about TT and it's not true, then it's Brett's job to clear up his relationship with TT.

Both you and Woody are thinking I'm getting personal in this. I am attacking no fellow Rat or Favre. Interpret it however you want, but it's not that and it sure the heck is slander.

I am voicing my opinion on how he has acted (or done nothing) in this situation. I have even prefaced my previous posts about all the good he has done for the team and for charities. But if he is acting wrong, he's not above criticism, living legend or not.

He is the #1 Packer player and a 1st ballot HOF'er. I know the list of crap QB's and characters that played in the 3 decades before we won SB 31. I don't want him to leave, but I sure don't want him to drag this organization through something this divisive.

Deputy Nutz
07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Nutz,

There's no way it's a "what have you done for me lately" response.

I am just tired of this BS soap opera Favre has pulled the last few seasons.

Favre has let everyone except himself reply to this mess. TT feels the heat from the fans and has gone on virtually every major news outlet to put out his side of the story. Brett is well...silent. If all this stuff is being said about TT and it's not true, then it's Brett's job to clear up his relationship with TT.

Both you and Woody are thinking I'm getting personal in this. I am attacking no fellow Rat or Favre. Interpret it however you want, but it's not that and it sure the heck is slander.

I am voicing my opinion on how he has acted (or done nothing) in this situation. I have even prefaced my previous posts about all the good he has done for the team and for charities. But if he is acting wrong, he's not above criticism, living legend or not.

He is the #1 Packer player and a 1st ballot HOF'er. I know the list of crap QB's and characters that played in the 3 decades before we won SB 31. I don't want him to leave, but I sure don't want him to drag this organization through something this divisive.

Honestly, what has he done that has been so bad that the poor Green Bay Packers can't recover from?

From what I remember of 2007 Favre didn't pull any retirement problems, he waited a month or so, and declared no retirement, sure he bitched about not getting Moss, but that had nothing to do with retirement, nor did he ever ask for a trade.

He is the media focal point of this franchise so everything that Favre does gets put on front page news and over dramatized so people like you can get upset and curse and claim he has done such unfavorable things to the Packers franchise. Is he trying to start his own NFL team in Mississippi? Is he trying to steal players like Al Harris and Don Driver from the Packers?

sharpe1027
07-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Honestly, what has he done that has been so bad that the poor Green Bay Packers can't recover from?

Don't you think that insinuating that the OP thought that "Packer's can't recover from" this situation, is overstating his position a tad? Of course they can recover from it, that doesn't make it any less of a pain in the ass to deal with.

The Leaper
07-14-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm very glad Thompson came out publically and stated his views. He hit a home run IMO.

I have little doubt that if Favre wants to play in 2008, that he can play and START for the Packers. However, Thompson wants to be sure that Favre wants to play...which is why he is refusing to grant Favre the knowledge of what exactly would happen if he returned to the team.

I can't see Thompson trading Favre unless he gets a very sweet deal for doing so. He certainly won't release him outright. Favre has 2 choices...play (under the terms of the Packers) or retire.

Deputy Nutz
07-14-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm very glad Thompson came out publically and stated his views. He hit a home run IMO.

I have little doubt that if Favre wants to play in 2008, that he can play and START for the Packers. However, Thompson wants to be sure that Favre wants to play...which is why he is refusing to grant Favre the knowledge of what exactly would happen if he returned to the team.

I can't see Thompson trading Favre unless he gets a very sweet deal for doing so. He certainly won't release him outright. Favre has 2 choices...play (under the terms of the Packers) or retire.

I think I have mostly been in agreement with you on most of the Favre talk. Since the Packers/Ted Thompson have spoken with the media I have floated more towards the middle of this situation. I can't believe Thompson has been this big of a villian in this situation preventing Favre from wearing the Green and Gold again.

The main focus for me is to see Favre play football for the Green Bay Packers in 2008 or play for no one. Yes, I am being selfish, but why should the Packers make some other team stronger in 2008?

I can't see the Packers trading Favre to Tampa Bay, or any other NFC team or team that will show up on the schedule in 2008.

I like the fact that Ted Thompson turned this back on Favre. You wanna play football again, show up, no promises attached.