PDA

View Full Version : The Flipflopping Details

digitaldean
07-12-2008, 08:29 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8339456

Just a couple excerpts, but please read the whole story to get the context of it all...

____
Favre first indicated to a Packers employee that he was having second thoughts about his retirement on March 26, FOXSports.com has learned. That was only 20 days after Favre proclaimed he was "not up to the challenge" during his retirement news conference.

On the night of March 27, Favre told McCarthy that he wanted to return. McCarthy then arranged for a private jet that would take him and Packers general manager Ted Thompson from the NFL owners meeting in Palm Beach, Fla., to Hattiesburg, Miss., for an April 1 meeting with Favre to finalize the deal.

"He mentioned several things where you could tell there's always indecisiveness," Thompson said. "He's wondering if he made the right decision. I think that's normal."

But less than 48 hours later, Favre called McCarthy to say he would remain retired after discussing the situation extensively with wife Deanna. "Closure" was even a term Favre used in his conversation with McCarthy, a source said.

"He said he appreciated all the planning we were going to do," McCarthy said. "But he felt that at this point, he had reached a point of closure, to use his words, and he was going to stick with his initial decision.
_____

Favre's "itch" to play had again returned in earnest by June 14, when he spoke with Packers offensive line coach James Campen, a friend who has served as an unofficial liaison between the quarterback and the team. During a June 20 conversation, Favre again approached McCarthy with the possibility of a comeback. McCarthy, though, was once again unable to secure the "100 percent" commitment he was seeking.

McCarthy said he had a phone conversation with Favre on June 20, and the quarterback sent a clear message: "Give me my helmet or give me my release."

Even then, McCarthy said when he asked Favre if he was ready to make a 100 percent commitment to football — an issue Favre had brought up in his retirement news conference — the answer still was no.

"That always seemed to be the one thing that he had to come to grips with," McCarthy said.

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Some more new information. I don't think this is a suprise at all. I think Brett was just finagling his way out of offseason commitment and the Packers were having no part of it.

I'm very impressed with MM and TT holding strong on this issue and also not breaking their word to their starting QB. It shows integrity. I also think they don't feel like they need Brett anymore so their comfort with Rodgers allows them to treat Brett like every other player. If they didn't have confidence in a QB I'll bet they would have taken another year of Brett's shit, whehter Rodgers worked hard or not. Forget what I said about unconditional integrity. Let's call it integrity when convenient.

RashanGary
07-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Favre not commiting in the offseasons has rubbed me the wrong way for a while. All these guys are just so happy to be there and would do anything to be in Greenbay just to play football. Then you have this guy who doesn't want to bother to show up. It's just insulting to the other players IMO.

Man, I just want this thing to end so I can remember the good times with Brett. Right now, all I think of is what a bad teammate and selfish person he is being. He was the well grounded star for so long but man, he really lost it.

Kiwon
07-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Based on the very limited information that I have read I can't find much fault with the Packers organization.

This TT/MM press conference has probably been posted on some other threads but the timeline they lay out is pretty clear and I have no reason to doubt that they are telling the truth.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2008-07-12-favre-update_N.htm

Brett has made a mess of things largely all on his own. The situation better get solved quickly though before any lasting damage gets done via rash statements and recriminations in the media.

Harlan Huckleby
07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't see what the Packers and Favre have to fight about.

Favre asked for his release, but I assume that is just a formality. He can't seriously expect them to do this.

So all that is left is to find a team to trade him to, something the Packers can do in consultation with Favre.