PDA

View Full Version : Read This: Telling Timeline on Favre Situation

Carolina_Packer
07-12-2008, 09:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgCyu6zibIils489IMS1plw5nYcB?slug=ap-packers-favretimeline&prov=ap&type=lgns

OK Favre supporters. Read the link above and tell me how this information makes Favre look in this whole situation? How does it make the Packers management look?

Looks like Favre was wanted back after all, even when there are stories to the contrary, painting the Packer management as wanting Favre gone, which never made sense to me if they thought he could still play. All along it looks as though they wanted to know his level of commitment and where his head was and he seemed to have switched gears late in the process leading up to the recent conference call. Even when (according to the the article above) he was saying he wanted back into football, he was never 100% committed to coming back for sure. How can an organization plan with information like that? I think the artcle above is very telling. Hopefully, even with this whole to do, they can patch things up and Favre can find his commitment again and compete against Rodgers for the starting job.

Joemailman
07-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Okay, that's enough timeline threads. :wink:
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=13202

PackerTimer
07-12-2008, 09:57 PM
May 6: With the NFL draft out of the way, Thompson visits Favre in Mississippi and has lunch on his back porch. Thompson says they have a “good conversation,” but don’t spend too much time talking about the idea that he might be having second thoughts.

“We didn’t talk specifically about it,” Thompson says. “But he mentioned several things where there was always indecisiveness, or he was wondering if he made the right decision. I think that’s normal.”

You know, I think that maybe this is what Favre and his family have been referring to. I honestly think, and I'm on record as saying its bs, that he was hoping that TT would ask him to come back. TT thought it was a "good conversation." Brett, not being asked to return, probably felt slighted and would have a much different opinion of this conversation.

One thing about this that really surprise me is that TT was down in Mississippi for a lunch to begin with. If TT was pushing out Favre for the last three years like some people would have you believe, what was he doing down there buddying it up with Favre in the first place?

Carolina_Packer
07-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Okay, that's enough timeline threads. :wink:
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=13202

Sorry for the duplicate information, but I thought this article had more in it than others here. This was pretty detailed to dates.

Also worth noting, Favre responded recently to media reports that he "had the itch again" by saying that it was all rumors. Sounds like either things were changing day to day for him before he was 100% committed, or he didn't want to tip his hand at the time. I hope he asks to be reinstated and that they can have him back on the roster and tell him that he's going to be competing for the starting job. As others have said, if A-Rod gets hurt again along the way, then it's all on Favre and this issue is out the window.

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 01:52 AM
Brilliant of TT and MM to offer this up. Good for PR and sets them up to get rid of Favre with not as much backlash. Would love to hear Favre's time line and compare how close the content would be described; but that will never occur

Carolina_Packer
07-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Brilliant of TT and MM to offer this up. Good for PR and sets them up to get rid of Favre with not as much backlash. Would love to hear Favre's time line and compare how close the content would be described; but that will never occur

Perhaps he'll have his Mom, Scott, Bus or someone else in his entourage talk for him again. It is strange that he is never the one out in front of his own dealings.

GBRulz
07-13-2008, 09:19 AM

Perhaps he'll have his Mom, Scott, Bus or someone else in his entourage talk for him again. It is strange that he is never the one out in front of his own dealings.

Carolina, I agree. It's one of the things that has bothered me about Brett during this whole off-season. I mean, he's always been very honest and open with the media throughout his career. But once the off-season started, every major announcement came through some kind of source. Wasn't it Mort who first reported the retirement VM that Brett left him?

I dunno, just wish Brett could have done the talking instead of all this channeling crap.

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 09:23 AM
I dunno, just wish Brett could have done the talking instead of all this channeling crap.

His pilot has been unusually quiet. That guy usually has something to say.

Fritz
07-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Bretsky - I don't know if it was "brilliant" - that suggests that they are orchestrating everything and playing games. I don't agree. For this whole ordeal, TT and MM have played it close to the vest, not saying much (as is TT's style). TT has been getting ripped to shreds and the Favre family has contributed to this. My sense is that they are trying to set the record straight.

Also, I know a little bit about lying or "spinning" the truth. Sadly enough, I used to do that in my life. My ex-wife was also in insurance fraud investigator and I saw, from her, how people lie well and how they lie badly. So (and I'm not proud of this) I speak as a bit of an expert. And I can tell you this: If you're going to lie, or fudge or stretch the truth or spin it, you don't offer up any detail. It's the worst thing you can do.
It's the first rule of spin. Because if you get cross-examined you have to keep making up more and more to make it fit, and that's where people get tripped up. And we all know the media will be doing some serious cross-examining.

Therefore, I must conclude here that this level of detail - from two people speaking together - could not possibly be a lie designed to make Favre look bad. Now, as one poster accurately notes above, Favre may have a different sense of the "good conversation" TT and he had at lunch in Mississippi. But that's not challenging the essential truth of the timeline; that's one's perception of how things went, not what happened.

Note too that neither Favre nor his family have given any specifics as to why they feel TT was pushing Favre out. They talk about "feeling" and while what people feel is what they feel, there's no detailed fact to support that TT was blowing Favre off. Not til the press conference yesterday, anyway - at this point they seem a bit tired of the back-and-forth of Favre.

And you end by saying Favre will not reveal any timeline. Why not? He has never, in the past, hesitated to open up about what he feels or thinks about a number of subjects - Javon Walker, not getting Randy Moss, his painkiller addiction. It's part of what so many of us love about the guy. He's not political - he's pretty open, mostly.

So I conclude from this that TT and MM gave Favre a lot of consideration, they did feel he was their best chance to win this year, they were open to having him come back and in fact offered reduced reps in practice and borrowed a plane to fly to Favre's home (by the way, if you're lying that's a bad detail l to make up cuz it's so easily checkable), they were on the phone with him frequently, they sent an emissary and TT even went down for lunch. Are those the actions of people trying to ignore Brett Favre out of the game?

No. Ultimately, Favre seems unwilling to admit to his wavering. He wanted back, but he didn't feel 100% committed (which by the way Favre himself said a few times is necessary if you're going to play). And I don't blame him for that. That's human. But I do blame him for his apparent willingness to let his family (Mom and brother) air his grievances and allow them to suggest that he was forced out. Becvause he was not forced out, though now it seems that TT has run out of patience.

woodbuck27
07-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Bretsky - I don't know if it was "brilliant" - that suggests that they are orchestrating everything and playing games. I don't agree. For this whole ordeal, TT and MM have played it close to the vest, not saying much (as is TT's style). TT has been getting ripped to shreds and the Favre family has contributed to this. My sense is that they are trying to set the record straight.

Also, I know a little bit about lying or "spinning" the truth. Sadly enough, I used to do that in my life. My ex-wife was also in insurance fraud investigator and I saw, from her, how people lie well and how they lie badly. So (and I'm not proud of this) I speak as a bit of an expert. And I can tell you this: If you're going to lie, or fudge or stretch the truth or spin it, you don't offer up any detail. It's the worst thing you can do.
It's the first rule of spin. Because if you get cross-examined you have to keep making up more and more to make it fit, and that's where people get tripped up. And we all know the media will be doing some serious cross-examining.

Therefore, I must conclude here that this level of detail - from two people speaking together - could not possibly be a lie designed to make Favre look bad. Now, as one poster accurately notes above, Favre may have a different sense of the "good conversation" TT and he had at lunch in Mississippi. But that's not challenging the essential truth of the timeline; that's one's perception of how things went, not what happened.

Note too that neither Favre nor his family have given any specifics as to why they feel TT was pushing Favre out. They talk about "feeling" and while what people feel is what they feel, there's no detailed fact to support that TT was blowing Favre off. Not til the press conference yesterday, anyway - at this point they seem a bit tired of the back-and-forth of Favre.

And you end by saying Favre will not reveal any timeline. Why not? He has never, in the past, hesitated to open up about what he feels or thinks about a number of subjects - Javon Walker, not getting Randy Moss, his painkiller addiction. It's part of what so many of us love about the guy. He's not political - he's pretty open, mostly.

So I conclude from this that TT and MM gave Favre a lot of consideration, they did feel he was their best chance to win this year, they were open to having him come back and in fact offered reduced reps in practice and borrowed a plane to fly to Favre's home (by the way, if you're lying that's a bad detail l to make up cuz it's so easily checkable), they were on the phone with him frequently, they sent an emissary and TT even went down for lunch. Are those the actions of people trying to ignore Brett Favre out of the game?

No. Ultimately, Favre seems unwilling to admit to his wavering. He wanted back, but he didn't feel 100% committed (which by the way Favre himself said a few times is necessary if you're going to play). And I don't blame him for that. That's human. But I do blame him for his apparent willingness to let his family (Mom and brother) air his grievances and allow them to suggest that he was forced out. Becvause he was not forced out, though now it seems that TT has run out of patience.

Nice post and analysis.

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 09:38 AM

Nice post and analysis.

Yes, a good post

I don't see Favre offering up specifics because he's using the media to do his talking. Mortenson did report that Favre indicated that is not exactly how it went down in March but he didn't offer many specifics.

Clayton just reported that the mojo between BF and Thompson is deteriorating by the minute and it's become less likely that he can be a Packers.

The ESPN analysts seem to be split about 50-50 as to whether Favre will play in GB or somewhere else.

Sport Reporters was interesting. The last thing they said was something to the effect that the hottest girl in the school gets extra chances.. :lol:

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Clayton just reported that the mojo between BF and Thompson is deteriorating by the minute and it's become less likely that he can be a Packers.

Maybe Brett doesn't like getting hit back.

Fritz
07-13-2008, 09:51 AM

Nice post and analysis.

Yes, a good post

I don't see Favre offering up specifics because he's using the media to do his talking. Mortenson did report that Favre indicated that is not exactly how it went down in March but he didn't offer many specifics.

The ESPN analysts seem to be split about 50-50 as to whether Favre will play in GB or somewhere else.

Sport Reporters was interesting. The last thing they said was something to the effect that the hottest girl in the school gets extra chances.. :lol:

Especially if she's bisexual.

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 10:00 AM

For the record I never said they made anything up. To me brilliant was offering all of this exact stuff up knowing the Favre camp will most likely not counter much if at all.

They are offering info to the media effectively to allow fans to view this and condone the possibility that they are sending the best option to win short term to another team and moving on

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 10:01 AM

Nice post and analysis.

Yes, a good post

That would warrant UNLIMITED chances :lol:

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 10:04 AM
They are offering info to the media effectively to allow fans to view this and condone the possibility that they are sending the best option to win short term to another team and moving on

Or that no matter the consequences, you can't allow one player to hold your team hostage.

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Or that no matter the consequences, you can't allow one player to hold your team hostage.

Never bought into the hostage theory

TT has a choice

vince
07-13-2008, 10:10 AM
As much as I love Brett Favre for how he plays the game, this is more important than 'the now.'

If he comes back and starts, I will lose some respect for TT for succumbing to the star-struck fans and not taking the principled stance here. This is an incredibly difficult situation, but the team must come first, and they have the opportunity here to send a powerful message to the team.

Brett, take your ball and go home.

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 10:12 AM
As much as I love Brett Favre for how he plays the game, this is more important than 'the now.'

If he comes back and starts, I will lose some respect for TT for succumbing to the star-struck fans and not taking the principled stance here. This is an incredibly difficult situation, but the team must come first, and they have the opportunity here to send a powerful message to the team.

Brett, take your ball and go home.

If Favre wants to play he should play

And at best or worst (depending on your view)....we'll take some draft pick

Fritz
07-13-2008, 10:16 AM

Nice post and analysis.

Yes, a good post

Does this suggest that if Favre is bisexual he'd get more chances? (This is me playing straight man - ha ha - for Tank).

pbmax
07-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I haven't gotten to the end of the Internet yet, but my sense is that T2 is still getting ripped to shreds. From CBS to ESPN and profootballtalk, most people either:

1) Believe the camp thing, as backup or open competition, is a bluff

2) Think Thompson is just CYA, just hoping beyond hope that Favre will retire

3) If Favre does come to camp, they are just trying to lessen the blow to Rodgers, since Favre will win out

In short, yesterday's interviews have had little effect. I think he was better off with the leaked threat of backup status from Friday and waiting. Now he has put the ball in Favre's court waiting for the unretirement letter.

It won't be clear until Monday's radio chatter, but yesterday, from a media managed standpoint was a wash.

I'd like to think the Packers are prepared to have Favre come in to be backup or compete, but I get the sense they are not. And waiting for Favre to decide to file the letter gives him the next move.

The one question that hasn't been asked, is why did Favre not also send a letter to Goodell when they mailed the release request to the Packers? Why did he want the request to be released public before he requested active status?

I hope Thompson was sandbagging, to let fans know they were confused and upset over this development. To let Favre continue to push this. I can't imagine Thompson, in the position he is in, not having played out this scenario several times in his head. It has to be the reason his is sitting on more than his usual pile of cap room.

Especially since he says he knows Favre reiterated a desire to play again to Campen after the aborted first unretirement and the current unretirement. He HAD to have seen this coming.

GBRulz
07-13-2008, 10:17 AM

His pilot has been unusually quiet. That guy usually has something to say.

Do you read officialbrettfavre.com ? I'm banned from there and they now require you to register just to read, so I haven't been able to see his comments. I'm sure he has plenty to say though. DavidPHX is his screen name.

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 10:18 AM

Nice post and analysis.

Yes, a good post

Does this suggest that if Favre is bisexual he'd get more chances? (This is me playing straight man - ha ha - for Tank).

rule only applies to chicks :!:

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Do you read officialbrettfavre.com ? I'm banned from there and they now require you to register just to read, so I haven't been able to see his comments. I'm sure he has plenty to say though. DavidPHX is his screen name.

Banned? Oh, you're such a trouble maker. :lol:

No, I've never been there.

GBRulz
07-13-2008, 10:24 AM

Banned? Oh, you're such a trouble maker. :lol:

No, I've never been there.

Yeah, I know!! Brett's pilot, David was telling people how you should only buy autographed Favre stuff through their website and that eBay was full of fakes. I mean, let's remember OBF is a store with a forum attached. So, I told him he was arrogant and I got banned for it.

Thank god Mad isn't sensitive as to what people say about him or we'd all be banned from here :lol: :wink:

pbmax
07-13-2008, 10:27 AM
This is good news for the Packers if this reaction carries to other pundits and talking heads. I had not seen positive reaction to the timeline or Favre's other possible unretirement. It seemed to have a bigger impact on this forum than in the stuff I have read so far.

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I know!! Brett's pilot, David was telling people how you should only buy autographed Favre stuff through their website and that eBay was full of fakes. I mean, let's remember OBF is a store with a forum attached. So, I told him he was arrogant and I got banned for it.

Thank god Mad isn't sensitive as to what people say about him or we'd all be banned from here :lol: :wink:

So David probably wouldn't have let you get away with calling him Burrito Boy either. :lol:

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 10:53 AM
I haven't gotten to the end of the Internet yet, but my sense is that T2 is still getting ripped to shreds. From CBS to ESPN and profootballtalk, most people either:

1) Believe the camp thing, as backup or open competition, is a bluff

I'D AGREE HERE; and honestly it is a bluff. Green Bay is not going to bench BF if he is here. The Media is not buying this for a minute and that is 100% from what I've heard.

2) Think Thompson is just CYA, just hoping beyond hope that Favre will retire

Well, honestly, Ted does hope Brett Retires; but I do think the media is taking what he said as sincere and they are not abusing him too badly today. The talk radio hosts nationally are hammering him though

3) If Favre does come to camp, they are just trying to lessen the blow to Rodgers, since Favre will win out

This might be true I guess; basically they have either decided or are deciding if Favre is their starter or if they are going to trade him

It won't be clear until Monday's radio chatter, but yesterday, from a media managed standpoint was a wash.

AGREE, but overall my perception was TT was getting hammered nationally before yesterday; now it's even ground

I'd like to think the Packers are prepared to have Favre come in to be backup or compete, but I get the sense they are not. And waiting for Favre to decide to file the letter gives him the next move.

Looking at the facts, Favre had his 2nd best year last year since 1996. ESPN mapped out about six stats showing that for their audience. If Favre is in Green Bay he's the starter. Right now it seems about 50-50 from the media as to whether he's back in GB or not.

The one question that hasn't been asked, is why did Favre not also send a letter to Goodell when they mailed the release request to the Packers? Why did he want the request to be released public before he requested active status?

After their last conference call, Favre felt like he was not welcomed in Green Bay so he just asked for his release. To me, that was kind of taking a shot at TT.

Especially since he says he knows Favre reiterated a desire to play again to Campen after the aborted first unretirement and the current unretirement. He HAD to have seen this coming.

I AGREE; TT is smart and knew this was a good possibilty. IMO his plan was not to let Favre back after the last debacle and we'll see if he sticks to it.

RashanGary
07-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Favre's not going to open up because he never thought the Packers would come out and tell the truth. He thought he could spread a half truth in the media because TT has allowed every other player to do it. Instead, the Packers came out and told how it really went down.

Yeah, Brett will be silent. There is nothing he cna possibly say to help his cause if this story is accurate. IF it's not accurate he'll say so. Brett has never been one to keep his mouth shut about anything that would help him. Maybe he'd let a teammate go under the bus, but never himself.

texaspackerbacker
07-13-2008, 11:18 AM
The Packers ain't a democracy. Thompson and McCarthy didn't need to do things for "PR" or whatever. All they needed to do--and all they did--was go with their guts--and let the chips fall.

If the Packers fall on their face--which I very much doubt will happen, they will get crucified no matter how much PR crap they might do. If the Packers win to at least as great an extent as last year, and Rodgers does well--as I thoroughly expect, they will be praised regardless of how the whole Favre mess has been handled.

RashanGary
07-13-2008, 11:21 AM
If the Packers make it to the NFC championship Thompson will be widely considered one of the games top 2 or 3 GM's. Just after 2007 there were already about a dozen stories about how he's considered top 5 or 6 already.

vince
07-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Let's look at this offseason time frame and add in another event not included in the Packers timeline of events...

— March 29: Favre calls McCarthy to deliver a message: Thanks, but no thanks.

“He felt at this point we had reached a point of closure,” McCarthy said. “Those were his words. And he was going to stick with his initial decision.”

— McCarthy talks to Favre again the week of April 7 and April 14 and on April 24. On the 24th, McCarthy explains the team’s decision to place Favre on the reserve/retired list.
Favre does nothing to dissuade the team to move on. He tells them he has reached closure. Then this event...

------------------------------------------------------------------
April 25: Brett Favre appears on David Letterman and has this near mis-speak...

Favre: "I think when training camp gets close, I will - something's bound to happen."

Letterman: "You just said, 'Something's bound to happen,' so this makes me think you're not retired."

Favre: "Butterflies, or - I don't know, something's bound to happen."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now back to the published timeline:

May 6: With the NFL draft out of the way, Thompson visits Favre in Mississippi and has lunch on his back porch. Thompson says they have a “good conversation,” but don’t spend too much time talking about the idea that he might be having second thoughts.

“We didn’t talk specifically about it,” Thompson says. “But he mentioned several things where there was always indecisiveness, or he was wondering if he made the right decision. I think that’s normal.”

— June 7: During a staff retreat in Kohler, Wis., Campen says he’s worried about Favre. McCarthy tells Campen to go to Mississippi—not as an official team intermediary, but as Favre’s friend.

— June 16-20: Acting on Campen’s advice, McCarthy calls Favre. They play phone tag for a few days but eventually connect. “You and Ted need to have a plan if I do come back,” Favre says, according to McCarthy. “Either give me my helmet or give me my release.”

At that point, McCarthy asks Favre if he was 100 percent committed to a return. “He said, ‘No, no, I’m not saying I’m there yet.”’

Brett insists he's not ready to commit, knowing fully that McCarthy demands commitment from his players, but warns them to be ready to give him his helmet or give him his release.

This all gives a lot of credence to Campbell's theory that Favre decided long ago (in late March) that he wanted to return - just not for the Packers.

It appears entirely possible that, on March 29, Brett decided he wanted to return to football, and expected the Packers to dissuade him at that time, which would give Brett the opportunity to recommend they release him. When they accepted his pledge to return TO THE PACKERS, he was left with no choice but to quickly recant.

Then, in order to execute his plan to return to another team, he needed to try to manipulate the people involved into giving him his unconditional release. The way tried to do that was by upset the apple cart (through his network of family and friends that he can trust) and hurt the Packers enough to want to rid themselves of his services as quickly as possible.

Obviously, this is all speculation, but it begs another question: If Favre only wants to return to the Packers, why hasn't he simply applied for reinstatement? Pretty simple matter to return.

I now believe that Brett Favre doesn't want to quit playing football. He wants to quit playing football for the Green Bay Packers.

This will never overturn the massive public goodwill he's built over the years, but he has willingly hurt the franchise and made it difficult for them to move forward in the most effective way possible - all because he wants to play for another team - the most logical being the Vikings. And he wants Ted Thompson to take the blame for it all. Better have his loyal fans who have helped make him the most marketable player in the history of the league think Thompson pushed him out than to have them know he would quit on them.

This is a real shitty way to see this, but it makes more sense than any other possibility.

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 03:48 PM
But why would he want to play for another team?

vince
07-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Good question. It could very well have to do with the weather and the demands placed on him in Green Bay. He's not tired of football. He's just tired of football in Green Bay. The commitment that McCarthy has demanded may be more than he thinks he should have to give... He played last year and had success, but I just don't think it was fun for him.

vince
07-13-2008, 03:55 PM
But why would he want to play for another team?
If he wants to play for the Packers, why wouldn't he just apply for reinstatement?

GoPackGo
07-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Let's look at this offseason time frame and add in another event not included in the Packers timeline of events...

“He felt at this point we had reached a point of closure,” McCarthy said. “Those were his words. And he was going to stick with his initial decision.”

— McCarthy talks to Favre again the week of April 7 and April 14 and on April 24. On the 24th, McCarthy explains the team’s decision to place Favre on the reserve/retired list.
Favre does nothing to dissuade the team to move on. He tells them he has reached closure. Then this event...

Favre: "I think when training camp gets close, I will - something's bound to happen."

Letterman: "You just said, 'Something's bound to happen,' so this makes me think you're not retired."

— June 7: During a staff retreat in Kohler, Wis., Campen says he’s worried about Favre. McCarthy tells Campen to go to Mississippi—not as an official team intermediary, but as Favre’s friend.

— June 16-20: Acting on Campen’s advice, McCarthy calls Favre. They play phone tag for a few days but eventually connect. “You and Ted need to have a plan if I do come back,” Favre says, according to McCarthy. “Either give me my helmet or give me my release.”

At that point, McCarthy asks Favre if he was 100 percent committed to a return. “He said, ‘No, no, I’m not saying I’m there yet.”’

Brett insists he's not ready to commit, knowing fully that McCarthy demands commitment from his players, but warns them to be ready to give him his helmet or give him his release.

This all gives a lot of credence to Campbell's theory that Favre decided long ago (in late March) that he wanted to return - just not for the Packers.

It appears entirely possible that, on March 29, Brett decided he wanted to return to football, and expected the Packers to dissuade him at that time, which would give Brett the opportunity to recommend they release him. When they accepted his pledge to return TO THE PACKERS, he was left with no choice but to quickly recant.

Then, in order to execute his plan to return to another team, he needed to try to manipulate the people involved into giving him his unconditional release. The way tried to do that was by upset the apple cart (through his network of family and friends that he can trust) and hurt the Packers enough to want to rid themselves of his services as quickly as possible.

Obviously, this is all speculation, but it begs another question: If Favre only wants to return to the Packers, why hasn't he simply applied for reinstatement? Pretty simple matter to return.

I now believe that Brett Favre doesn't want to quit playing football. He wants to quit playing football for the Green Bay Packers.

This will never overturn the massive public goodwill he's built over the years, but he has willingly hurt the franchise and made it difficult for them to move forward in the most effective way possible - all because he wants to play for another team - the most logical being the Vikings. And he wants Ted Thompson to take the blame for it all. Better have his loyal fans who have helped make him the most marketable player in the history of the league think Thompson pushed him out than to have them know he would quit on them.

This is a real shitty way to see this, but it makes more sense than any other possibility.

This is a very entertaining theory that I hope isn't correct. Nice post Vince

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Actually and technically, to be fair, with Goodell out of the country we don't know that he didn't apply for reinstatement...

Bossman641
07-13-2008, 04:03 PM
This doesn't go with the theory that Favre decided in late March he wanted to play for another team, but the Vikings traded for Jared Allen on April 22. Days later, on the 25th, is when Favre said his comment on Letterman about something happening. Could Favre have seen the Allen move as the big move he didn't see the Packers making?

Doubtful, but nothing in this situation makes sense.

I just don't understand why he would want to play for another team: Packers are coming off a NFC Champ game appearance, young team that should be even better, a coach who played to his strengths, and he was adored in GB.

This whole situation sucks.

vince
07-13-2008, 04:04 PM
He asked the team for his unconditional release before applying for reinstatement. That's for sure.

He and/or his agent would certainly have made it known that Brett has taken that step if he has. They haven't made such an announcement, so IMO, it's safe to assume that he hasn't.

woodbuck27
07-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Favre's not going to open up because he never thought the Packers would come out and tell the truth. He thought he could spread a half truth in the media because TT has allowed every other player to do it. Instead, the Packers came out and told how it really went down.

Yeah, Brett will be silent. There is nothing he cna possibly say to help his cause if this story is accurate. IF it's not accurate he'll say so. Brett has never been one to keep his mouth shut about anything that would help him. Maybe he'd let a teammate go under the bus, but never himself.

Favre won't say anything but he's decided he wants to win a Super Bowl with his team. That would be 'the Green Bay Packers'. He won't butt heads with Ted Thompson as he knows enough people fully realize where TT's sentiments lie, and that is the easy way with Favre staying retired.

Don't ever place TT is a difficult position where he has to make a solid and fast decision. Favre won't make it easy on Packer management and blow his cool.

Favre's 'the Dude'. One of the classiest people to ever play a pro sport.

digitaldean
07-13-2008, 04:22 PM

Favre won't say anything but he's decided he wants to win a Super Bowl with his team. That would be 'the Green Bay Packers'. He won't butt heads with Ted Thompson as he knows enough people fully realize where TT's sentiments lie, and that is the easy way with Favre staying retired.

Don't ever place TT is a difficult position where he has to make a solid and fast decision. Favre won't make it easy on Packer management and blow his cool.

Woody, Favre has done a lot of classy things like his charity softball game, his work with Make-A-Wish and his foundation. No question about it.

But in this situation he has been CLASSLESS, REPEAT CLASSLESS. If he was "the dude", he wouldn't be using surrogates to voice his opinion. When TT was cut down by Scott, Bonita and the usual suspects, TT didn't say a word. When this excrement hit the fan in the past week. He has come out directly and talked to the 3 major papers in the state, a local GB TV station plus an ESPN radio station in Milwaukee.

Your vitriol for TT is tiresome. He isn't the one who can't make up his mind. It's #4. Aren't you kind of forgetting the fact that even when Brett changed his mind less than 1 month after his retirement, TT still said that he wanted him back. But when Favre was using terms like "adding closure" to McCarthy after backing out of unretiring, a team has to move forward.

He still has to deal with a divided fanbase, keep from alienating Rodgers and the team (you know, the other people on the roster?)

If Favre comes back I will have no problem if he starts. But I will still remember the penny-ante BS shenanigans he pulled to get his way like a stinkin' spoiled brat. That has knocked him down respect-wise in my eyes.

woodbuck27
07-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Woody, Favre has done a lot of classy things like his charity softball game, his work with Make-A-Wish and his foundation. No question about it.

But in this situation he has been CLASSLESS, REPEAT CLASSLESS. If he was "the dude", he wouldn't be using surrogates to voice his opinion. When TT was cut down by Scott, Bonita and the usual suspects, TT didn't say a word. When this excrement hit the fan in the past week. He has come out directly and talked to the 3 major papers in the state, a local GB TV station plus an ESPN radio station in Milwaukee.

Your vitriol for TT is tiresome. He isn't the one who can't make up his mind. It's #4. Aren't you kind of forgetting the fact that even when Brett changed his mind less than 1 month after his retirement, TT still said that he wanted him back. But when Favre was using terms like "adding closure" to McCarthy after backing out of unretiring, a team has to move forward.

He still has to deal with a divided fanbase, keep from alienating Rodgers and the team (you know, the other people on the roster?)

If Favre comes back I will have no problem if he starts. But I will still remember the penny-ante BS shenanigans he pulled to get his way like a stinkin' spoiled brat. That has knocked him down respect-wise in my eyes.

Please read that post more carefully without the let's slam woody slant. Try that. I said Favre won't make this any more difficult for himself or Packer management. He wants to win with the Packers. Nothing I've ever witnessed would indicate otherwise.

Secondly Favre can't control what passionate family members think, feel and release to the press. He's not tied to them with a rope.

Thirdly my observations of Ted Thompson's style are well supported, even criticized by more people than just woodbuck27. I support Packer teams winning, and today I still feel once Favre is back in the fold he gives us that BEST opportunity to get to the Super Bowl.

I just wish that he and Ted Thompson were more obviously on the same page and it's too obvious that their not. That irks me. What is TT's problem with winning, or really going for the win with Brett Favre a our QB?

I have always felt a need to fire away and question just that.

Is that not allowed? yes it is. :D

digitaldean
07-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Your opinion on TT is supported by others, that is true.

The reply was not a personal slam. I am just posting my opinion as well.

All we heard last season was doom and gloom that since Moss wasn't here we'd suffer for it. (I disagreed with TT's handling of that affair, by the way).

Favre may not be able to control his family, but he can control his agent. If his agent says something he doesn't agree with , he can publicly state his disagreement and/or fire him. That he can do, but hasn't.

I think TT was trying to get on the same page with Brett in March when Brett backed out. When TT met with him in May, nothing was stated then about coming back either.

McCarthy has stated that he still can't pin Favre down about committing 100% either. Training camp is less than 2 weeks. It's time for #4 to settle this once and for all.

If he comes back, he's entitled to. It's the perception of him being above anyone else on the roster that gets my goat. #4 has caused this mess from the beginning, TT has not shoved him out the door. Was he less than enthused during the teleconference, yes. I would be too when I go through 3 years of this melodrama, then get words like "closure" and spend months trying to get A-Rod and a revamped offense prepped for the post-Favre era. This vacillating should be done.

Before this past weekend's events, the best analogy I heard was this: Tell Brett, come back for 1 more year to make a SB run, sign A-Rod to a long-term deal and then let Brett ride off into the sunset. But after all this, I wonder what'll happen now.

Again, Woody, no personal slam meant. But it doesn't change my opinion on how TT has handled this. He has to appease the NFL's most rabid fanbase, a QB who has been waiting for his chance to start, plus not alienate the HOF QB who has stiff-armed publicly and privately. Personally, TT has shown more patience than I would have.

The Shadow
07-13-2008, 05:12 PM

All we heard last season was doom and gloom that since Moss wasn't here we'd suffer for it. (I disagreed with TT's handling of that affair, by the way).

Favre may not be able to control his family, but he can control his agent. If his agent says something he doesn't agree with , he can publicly state his disagreement and/or fire him. That he can do, but hasn't.

I think TT was trying to get on the same page with Brett in March when Brett backed out. When TT met with him in May, nothing was stated then about coming back either.

McCarthy has stated that he still can't pin Favre down about committing 100% either. Training camp is less than 2 weeks. It's time for #4 to settle this once and for all.

If he comes back, he's entitled to. It's the perception of him being above anyone else on the roster that gets my goat. #4 has caused this mess from the beginning, TT has not shoved him out the door. Was he less than enthused during the teleconference, yes. I would be too when I go through 3 years of this melodrama, then get words like "closure" and spend months trying to get A-Rod and a revamped offense prepped for the post-Favre era. This vacillating should be done.

Before this past weekend's events, the best analogy I heard was this: Tell Brett, come back for 1 more year to make a SB run, sign A-Rod to a long-term deal and then let Brett ride off into the sunset. But after all this, I wonder what'll happen now.

Again, Woody, no personal slam meant. But it doesn't change my opinion on how TT has handled this. He has to appease the NFL's most rabid fanbase, a QB who has been waiting for his chance to start, plus not alienate the HOF QB who has stiff-armed publicly and privately. Personally, TT has shown more patience than I would have.

Sadly, it's a waste of time using reason and logic with The Cult.
The Favre idolizers have placed him far above the welfare of the team, and anyone who questions Favre's actions ABOUT ANYTHING draws the kneejerk vitriol of the True Believer.

vince
07-13-2008, 05:43 PM

I'd like to add this to the timeline above...

April 4: Less than a week after Favre tells the Packers he has reached "closure," Sam Farmer of the LA Times reports that: "According to NFL sources, Favre’s agent has quietly inquired with teams about their interest in trading for the three-time NFL most valuable player." When questioned about the veracity of the story, Farmer stands firmly behind it.
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/apr/04/sports/sp-favre4

green_bowl_packer
07-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Setting up an old Tivo which had ESPN's NFL Live on it from March 19 that I just watched, same time all the Chad Johnson not wanting to be in Cincy stuff was going on oddly enough.

The thing was when they were doing there bits and pieces at the end of the show is where they announced Chillar signs for 2 years and that they would retire Favre's jersey at the first home game in September 8th, this was the week before he snubbed them according to the time-line.

So there was some conversation going on about coming back at the same time as the jersey retiring? That doesn't make any fucking sense (as the other 50 threads will attest). And he doesn't say anything or did he agree not to come back and then they decided on the date without him? I can't believe if he even had an inkling to come back and play he would have agreed to that date.

Then the whole locker fiasco. I remember MM saying something like "We have some special, exciting plans for the locker" translation - He's going to use it next season! Then Rookie Camp and OTA's came and everyone's talking about the locker of the guy who's not on the team anymore. I think that's when the Pack decided they were moving on they had to, you can't have the whole talk be about an empty locker of a guy who's not on the team.

I have a feeling this Greta thing tonight will be fluff, I hope next weekend when he's at the Packer Hall of Fame Ceremony the GB press holds his feet to the fire for some real answers without stealing thunder from Frank and Gilbert.

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2008, 08:30 PM
So there was some conversation going on about coming back at the same time as the jersey retiring? That doesn't make any fucking sense (as the other 50 threads will attest). And he doesn't say anything or did he agree not to come back and then they decided on the date without him? I can't believe if he even had an inkling to come back and play he would have agreed to that date.

What doesn't make sense? He retired on March 4th. On March 19th they were talking about his jersey retirement. At the end of March, he told them he was thinking about coming back. Thompson and McCarthy talked, and decided they were cool with it. They were setting up an announcement, and then Brett changed his mind. What's doesn't make sense about the timeline?

woodbuck27
07-14-2008, 08:53 PM

I totaly agree that all round this is a mess. I believe that TT's hands are tied, and today I'm not of the opinion he has caused this total mess for those of us that want Favre where he belongs. As OUR QB.

TT is just doing what he's been told,I believe by his BOSS's.

I wish that Brett Favre would just retire. I also want Favre to do what's best for him because only he knows whats best for him and those closest to him in real life. That places people like me in a difficult position.

I can't ever not be loyal as a fan to Brett Favre after all the value he's given to me as a Packer fan. I'm very concerned over his decision to play again and end up in a spot that may really harm him in the end.

I hold NO malice towords Ted thompson over this matter as it now stands and is being reported. The Packer Organization has decided to move on without Brett Favre. A hard one to take. TT is only doing as he's directed.
As a result many will make him the scapegoat, if it turns out badly overall for OUR team.

I won't be one to take him to task over that if the facts as we now know them are true. I've been very disappointed in TT's ways in the past, but I sense there's a better TT ahead for our future once Favre is gone. No shame on Brett Favre either.

One thing I question though is:

If TT really believed that Favre was finally retired or wouldn't play for us again? Why so much CAP money?

Moving past that query:

It's just a case of 'all good things come to an end'. This one really sucks though for me. Especially given the year Favre had in 2007.

green_bowl_packer
07-14-2008, 09:03 PM

What doesn't make sense? He retired on March 4th. On March 19th they were talking about his jersey retirement. At the end of March, he told them he was thinking about coming back. Thompson and McCarthy talked, and decided they were cool with it. They were setting up an announcement, and then Brett changed his mind. What's doesn't make sense about the timeline?

I guess I'm living up to my handle: I meant that if he's telling Campen he's thinking of coming back to play a week later why agree to the ceremony in the first place.

MJZiggy
07-14-2008, 09:23 PM
If TT really believed that Favre was finally retired or wouldn't play for us again? Why so much CAP money?[/size]

To sign Ryan Grant to a front loaded contract? To sign the rookies to their deals? To bring in a vet backup QB? As an emergency fund in case we have to sign a new punter?