PDA

View Full Version : Bleacher Report Reports Favre to Tampa

vince
07-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Not sure how this could happen by Monday with Favre not officially reinstated, and I can't believe the Packers could have exhausted their trade partner possibilities...

Anyway, it's an interesting rumor. Don't shoot the messenger.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/37140-nfl-rumors-brett-favre-to-tampa-bay-by-monday-for-chris-simms-and-a-second

NFL Rumors: Brett Favre to Tampa Bay by Monday for Chris Simms and a Second?
Sources close to analyst Alex Tallitsch tell him Brett Favre will be a Tampa Bay Buccaneer by Monday.

I know this is citizen journalism at its finest, but I am going to throw this out there to have it on the record and time stamped accordingly.

A source I am highly confident in is saying that Brett Favre will be traded to the Bucs for Chris Simms and a second round draft pick by Monday.

The Packers have shown great interest in ending the fiasco immediately, and this would be an interesting but not surprising move.

Don't be shocked to see Favre wearing a skull and cross-bones by the time you head to work on Monday morning.

What would become the instant must-see game of next season? Is there even a question?

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 06:20 PM
What would the Packers want Chris Simms for?

Rastak
07-13-2008, 06:22 PM
I'd do that if I was Green Bay. A second?

As far as Simms goes, I guess he could open up Flynn to be the practice squad guy.

Tampa plays Green Bay this year, don't they?

RashanGary
07-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Chris Simms is a veteran QB with some talent that plays the WCO. He could beat Flynn out as the #3 QB. Tampa would definitly be a threat though. They're a pretty damn good young team. Very similar to GB IMO and warmer weather.

This would be great though. This is a really good sinerio for us and for Favre. This would make my whole year for sports. I'm so tired of Favre's off the field act so to finally be rid of him is just too good for me to get my hopes up.

VegasPackFan
07-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Doesnt make a whole lotta sense to trade for another qb of that caliber

RashanGary
07-13-2008, 06:27 PM
The 2nd round pick is the main piece. Simms is the filler and Tampa has so many QB's that they don't mind throwing him in since their bringing in yet another.

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Do it Ted.

vince
07-13-2008, 06:29 PM
The bucs are dying for an excuse to get rid of Simms.

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 06:30 PM
The guy gave them his spleen...left it lying there right on the field and they dis him like this after all Sims did for them.

RashanGary
07-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Gruden has had a lot of success with older QB's. Gannon and Brad Johnson were both less physically able than Brett. This would be a perfect match.

I don't want to get my hopes up. I just want this whole headache to end and this would be a perfect way to end it FOREVER!!

They could also use Favre to sell merchandise and tickets. This is really a perfect fit.

twoseven
07-13-2008, 06:32 PM
The Packers have shown great interest in ending the fiasco immediately, and this would be an interesting but not surprising move.

Placing him on an NFC team that will definitely challenge for a playoff spot, a team that GB faces in Tampa Sept. 28. Looking to end the fiasco? Ending the fiasco has Brett in the AFC, not Tampa. Oh, don't get me wrong, the compensation is nice, but Brett will be very much in our thoughts and on our radar playing for the Bucs.

GoPackGo
07-13-2008, 06:33 PM
It won't be great when Tampa and Favre beat Rodgers and Green Bay in the 1st round of the playoffs :roll:

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Right 27. Someplace like, say....Baltimore? :whist:

VegasPackFan
07-13-2008, 06:35 PM
How do you trade a player that is still on the retired list? TB is not going to make that deal until BF OFFICIALLY unretires.

twoseven
07-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Right 27. Someplace like, say....Baltimore? :whist:Absolutely. BAL competing with NE, IND, PIT to get to the SB to show us up..hey good luck with that.

mission
07-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah, Ted. Fuckin do it!

This makes so much sense on so many levels. Gruden, The QB situation, Simms in Limbo, Warm Weather, Game Vs This Season... a SECOND! (TED, eh eh!! second!!??)

Really now. It will still feel kinda weird for me but Im so sick of this shit. Let's just get this show on the road. I want draft picks and potential, future trade bait.

RashanGary
07-13-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't care if he's in the NFC. If we're going to get to the SB then we're going to have to beat good teams no matter what. If we lose to them in the playoffs it means we were not good enough.

The only thing I would NOT do is trade him to the Vikings. Even the Bears would be OK in my book but NOT the Vikings. They have everything in place right now. No way do I give them a top 5 QB so they can demolish us.

VegasPackFan
07-13-2008, 06:40 PM
BF is still retired. There cant be any deals until that status changes.

Rastak
07-13-2008, 06:41 PM

Can't they trade his rights?

RashanGary
07-13-2008, 06:42 PM
In some of the TT interviews he did dangle Brett out there. He said "He was a first team all pro player last year. To quote Mike after the season, 'he has a couple-three years left in him'".

Obviously Ted is aware that he has a very movable piece. This would just be too good to be true. The quicker this gets over with the better. I also think Ted pressured them to get the letter in so they could get something done. They said "We will not release him but he hasn't even gotten his papers in yet".

If something better comes along, great. If not, take this and never look back.

twoseven
07-13-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't care if he's in the NFC. If we're going to get to the SB then we're going to have to beat good teams no matter what. If we lose to them in the playoffs it means we were not good enough.

The only thing I would NOT do is trade him to the Vikings. Even the Bears would be OK in my book but NOT the Vikings. They have everything in place right now. No way do I give them a top 5 QB so they can demolish us.Tampa was in the playoffs last year with a nobody at QB, how is sending them Brett Favre not a problem for GB?

VegasPackFan
07-13-2008, 06:43 PM

Of course thay can but who is gonna do that unless there is gurantee that he comes out of retirement?

Rastak
07-13-2008, 06:44 PM

Of course thay can but who is gonna do that unless there is gurantee that he comes out of retirement?

Exactly, they'd all have to be in full agreement.

RashanGary
07-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Tampa was in the playoffs last year with a nobody at QB, how is sending them Brett Favre not a problem for GB?

It's an issue but I'm not all that scared of Brett in the playoffs and if he were to beat us then it was meant to be. I'd be happy for him.

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 06:45 PM
It's not hard. It'd be a conditional trade. See Pacman to Dallas.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Ty would love to see the chucky face when Brett throws up one his patented "this ain't gonna end well" passes.

twoseven
07-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Tampa was in the playoffs last year with a nobody at QB, how is sending them Brett Favre not a problem for GB?

It's an issue but I'm not all that scared of Brett in the playoffs and if he were to beat us then it was meant to be. I'd be happy for him.How about what a scenario like that does for TT's future?

mmmdk
07-13-2008, 06:49 PM
I'd do that if I was Green Bay. A second?

As far as Simms goes, I guess he could open up Flynn to be the practice squad guy.

Tampa plays Green Bay this year, don't they?

Green Bay at Tampa Bay, 28th of september 2008. :shock:

Pacopete4
07-13-2008, 06:51 PM
absolutely STUPID... you hold on to a Brett Favre, and u fuckin make sure hes 100% committed and then u START a Brett Favre... its simple!

mission
07-13-2008, 06:53 PM
absolutely STUPID... you hold on to a Brett Favre, and u fuckin make sure hes 100% committed and then u START a Brett Favre... its simple!

no.

pbmax
07-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Possibly, because the only people to file paperwork have been the Packers which was to move him to the inactive/retired list. They may be able to rescind it.

Which leaves a second, good unanswered question. Why did Favre send the letter to the Packers (and make it public) if he must first contact the League before anything can be done?

And second, if the Packers files the inactive/retired list paperwork, could they just retract it to move/release/trade Favre?

Thompson seemed to insist that the League had to be notified, but is that a wish to have Favre's fingerprint on it or is it an ironclad rule?

As to the trade the second is fine as might be Simms, but the Tampa QB situation is clogged like nobody's business. Favre is better than Garcia, but does Favre want to work for a coach that has not been shy about yanking his QBs around like puppets? Sounds like too much drama. And no way you get a second and a player unless Favre commits to play there.

RashanGary
07-13-2008, 06:54 PM

Please go through. Please get rid of this diva.

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 07:01 PM
I can't imagine getting a 2nd rounder....but would not complain if we die (whether I agree with it or not)

Maybe we could draft another QB with the pick, and then out of the three eventually we might have a replacement :lol:

Lurker64
07-13-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't want to trade Brett Favre until he formally asks the league to reinstate him. Personally, I'd hope he stays retired. At this point, trading him to another team would likely encourage him to unretire, which is not something I want.

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't want to trade Brett Favre until he formally asks the league to reinstate him. Personally, I'd hope he stays retired. At this point, trading him to another team would likely encourage him to unretire, which is not something I want.

Despite sending somebody to his home to try to get him to retire last week..........it seems a foregone conclusion that he's going to play again IMO.

The Packer brass is watching their words closely hoping that he changes his mind, but it isn't working so far so if they don't want him to be their quarterback they should resolve this quickly if they can.

Lurker64
07-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Despite sending somebody to his home to try to get him to retire last week..........it seems a foregone conclusion that he's going to play again IMO.

The Packer brass is watching their words closely hoping that he changes his mind, but it isn't working so far so if they don't want him to be their quarterback they should resolve this quickly if they can.

Well, he's currently retired so nobody can make him retire at this point. The issue is whether or not he stays retired. I have no idea whether he will or he won't. Brett is enough in "petulant child" mode right now that I wouldn't be surprised if he just sits at home and pouts if the team doesn't give him everything he wants.

bobblehead
07-13-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure tampa would give a second for him, but if we couldn't get a second from an AFC team I would be thrilled with this end result. I know, tampa is dangerous and all, but like JH said, if we can't beat tampa with brett, we probably can't beat dallas with romo, ect ect. If we are superbowl bound, which I don't think we are, trade or no, then we should be able to fade this for a second.

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 07:23 PM

It might be simple if Favre could say that he's 100% committed, but he can't.

Partial
07-13-2008, 07:24 PM

It might be simple if Favre could say that he's 100% committed, but he can't.

He just did on Tuesday. He says he hasn't been able to commit in March for years. What else in new?

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 07:26 PM
I didn't see a statement from Favre on Tuesday. Last I heard M3 asked him at the end of June if could give it 100% and he couldn't say yes. Can you post the quote, cause I missed it.

Pacopete4
07-13-2008, 07:27 PM
you really think Favre would be coming back if he wasn't 100% committed to playing football? this guy bleeds football and has left his guts and heart on that field for us...

Partial
07-13-2008, 07:27 PM
I didn't see a statement from Favre on Tuesday. Last I heard M3 asked him at the end of June if could give it 100% and he couldn't say yes. Can you post the quote, cause I missed it.

Then re-read the timeline. On Tuesday, they asked Favre if he could give 100% and "for the first time was able to say a resounding yes" or something to that effect.

pbmax
07-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Playoff disasters.

He just did on Tuesday. He says he hasn't been able to commit in March for years. What else in new?

Lurker64
07-13-2008, 07:37 PM

Then re-read the timeline. On Tuesday, they asked Favre if he could give 100% and "for the first time was able to say a resounding yes" or something to that effect.

It's interesting that the statement you're referring to is in the Yahoo Sports Timeline and not the JS timeline, when it was Silverstein of the JS that did the interview with Thompson that resulted in the timeline in the first place.

I'm inclined to view any statements about Favre's current mental state as suspect until Brett Favre personally comes out and addresses the media.

Partial
07-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Playoff disasters.

At least we will get into the playoffs with BF. Very unlikely with powderpuff Rodg at the helm.

PackerBlues
07-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I have read some pretty stupid things in all of this mess, but to question if Favre would give 100% has got to take the cake. :eyes:

A guy starts every single game for how many freakin years, and you idiots want to question his commitment? Ha! If Brett Favre says he wants to come back and play, I do not picture him giving anything less than 100%. :roll:

3irty1
07-13-2008, 07:48 PM
I have read some pretty stupid things in all of this mess, but to question if Favre would give 100% has got to take the cake. :eyes:

A guy starts every single game for how many freakin years, and you idiots want to question his commitment? Ha! If Brett Favre says he wants to come back and play, I do not picture him giving anything less than 100%. :roll:

I agree everyone in this thread who's loving this trade might be drunk.

texaspackerbacker
07-13-2008, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't mind if this happened. I said, to me, a second rounder is the minimum the Packers should consider. Any less than that, pay him his $10-12 million to back up Rodgers or just to sit inactive.

We don't need Sims, but as a throw-in, he couldn't hurt.

I'm fairly convinced that Favre will not be all that good whoever he plays for--given the idea that he said he would want to prepare at about 80% of the effort he gave last year.

All of this being said, my best guess is that this whole Tampa trade rumor is nothing more than wild-assed speculation from the head of a media idiot.

woodbuck27
07-13-2008, 07:53 PM

MJ and a second round pick. . .a second ...a second...a second...

Nice deal. If it we're true and Packer management wants this to go away really fast :D

Upper management MJ, or the fella's above TT. This 'if true' is stamped 'Chairman and friends', as certainly TT doesn't do anything FAST.

oregonpackfan
07-13-2008, 07:54 PM

The last I heard Favre is not officially retired because he never filed his retirement papers.

I agree with the posters that getting Simms would be a good deal. The Packers need a veteran QB to back up Rodgers.

woodbuck27
07-13-2008, 08:03 PM

That's where I am too and been there long before he announced his forced-unforced, too emotional to be true retirement.

Favre wants to play in the worst way and to play in Green Bay is no longer the right option for Brett Favre as it really is. He's gone Packer fans one way or the other Brett Favre played his last game in a Packer uniform in that loss to the Giants.

Sad and true.

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 08:05 PM

Nice deal. If it we're true and Packer management wants this to go away really fast :D

Upper management MJ, or the fella's above TT. This 'if true' is stamped 'Chairman and friends', as certainly TT doesn't do anything FAST.

Woodbuck, I'm trying to ask why the Packers would want Chris Simms if they already have a starting QB and a backup and a developmental 3rd stringer.

woodbuck27
07-13-2008, 08:08 PM

Woodbuck, I'm trying to ask why the Packers would want Chris Simms if they already have a starting QB and a backup and a developmental 3rd stringer.

Favre's not going to the Bucks MJ..come on. That would be certifiably insane. :D X 10

retailguy
07-13-2008, 08:14 PM

Isn't there value in having a B/up QB that has some actual in game NFL experience? While I'm not ready to christen Rodgers injury prone, his track record on durability isn't very good. I think there is some value in experience here, however, I doubt that this goes down that quickly, IF it's even in the works.

I think it's just another rumor.

Zool
07-13-2008, 08:31 PM
If they trade Brett for Simms thats pretty much giving him away. Simms and Gruden's relationship is over according to Simms. He said he can never play there again. He will be released or at most given up for a 6th or a 7th. I've been calling for Simms all offseason, but this trade is not good.

motife
07-13-2008, 08:32 PM
better yet would be a 2nd and Jason Taylor from the Dolphins.

with the starting DL :

Aaron Kampman DE

Ryan Pickett DT

Cullen Jenkins DT

Jason Taylor DE

in your face Vikings.

Scott Campbell
07-13-2008, 08:34 PM
If they trade Brett for Simms thats pretty much giving him away. Simms and Gruden's relationship is over according to Simms. He said he can never play there again. He will be released or at most given up for a 6th or a 7th. I've been calling for Simms all offseason, but this trade is not good.

They're talking about Simms and a 2nd. Not a bad deal. Though Simms is nothing more than a throw in given his stature in Tampa.

Zool
07-13-2008, 08:36 PM

They're talking about Simms and a 2nd. Not a bad deal. Though Simms is nothing more than a throw in given his stature in Tampa.

What I'm saying its possible to get Simms as an UFA in about a month. Could still get a player and a pick for Favre and end up with Simms. Anyone have any excess D-tackles they're willing to part with?

Deputy Nutz
07-13-2008, 08:49 PM

I agree everyone in this thread who's loving this trade might be drunk.

Simply to make Packer fans happy I think the Packers need to sit on Favre, tell him he is welcomed back on the roster. Nobody really wants to see Favre play for someone else.

Anyways I do think Favre needs to prove that he is ready to give himself over to the game of football once again. I didn't question this before I heard that he told McCarthy in March that he was ready to come back, and Ted and McCarthy wanted him back only for Favre to pull back again. Really where is his head at?

Brando19
07-13-2008, 08:54 PM
We need to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. It's time for a press conference, Brett!

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 09:36 PM

It might be simple if Favre could say that he's 100% committed, but he can't.\\\

I believe he did last week

MJZiggy
07-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Then someone find it for me, please, because I can't find a single quote with him saying that.

Brando19
07-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Favre hasn't said shit.

HarveyWallbangers
07-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Sources close to analyst Alex Tallitsch tell him Brett Favre will be a Tampa Bay Buccaneer by Monday.

Alex Tallitsch = Joe Arrigo?

digitaldean
07-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I agree, this is all a moot point until he files for reinstatement with the Commish.

Personally, I think the trade is a bit weak. If he is that last piece of a puzzle for any team, a first round pick would be necessary.

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Then someone find it for me, please, because I can't find a single quote with him saying that.

Find it youself; I don't care about having to verify quote for anybody :lol:
It was noted by either TT or MM in that dirty stupid timeline

pbmax
07-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Its Wilde's timeline in the State Journal, July 8th:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/295949

Late June: Favre calls McCarthy and the two have a conversation in which Favre tells him he might want to play again. At that point, McCarthy asks Favre if he was 100 percent committed to a return. ''He said, 'No, no, I'm not saying I'm there yet.' ''

July 4th weekend: Thompson, who is on vacation, exchanges text messages with Favre.

July 8: During a conference call with Thompson, McCarthy and Packers VP of football administration/player finance Russ Ball, Favre and his agent, James ''Bus'' Cook discuss Favre's situation with the Packers. McCarthy asks Favre if he is 100 percent committed to football. For the first time in the offseason, Favre says yes.

rbaloha1
07-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Packers Nation, please do not worry about the details of BF's current status.

Support TT.

Make the deal -- let another organization pander to the diva.

Thank you BF. Can not wait to beat you again and again!

Bretsky
07-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Packers Nation, please do not worry about the details of BF's current status.

Support TT.

Make the deal -- let another organization pander to the diva.

Ah, so you want him traded to the Vkings or Bears then ??

bobblehead
07-14-2008, 12:14 AM
1) nobody questions bretts committment on sundays, he is a warrior, we are questioning his committment to the gameplan and studying the other teams defense this upcoming sunday. We question him waiting til OTA and minicamps are done before he suddenly wants to play again.

2) If we can actually score a second for a guy with one year left who we no longer want, that is a huge trade and we gotta take it.

3) Simms has value cuz he has actually started in the nfl and isn't in his first season. He knows how to prepare each week and understands this league, brohm and flynn don't yet....thats why most rookie QB's look lost.

4) Holding out for better than simms as the throw in would be foolish, not many teams will offer a second. As for teams with spare DT's...good luck, there is a reason we got a 2nd for part time williams.

5) The final reason to do this deal if its for real is that mccarthy and thompson don't actually want brett anymore. And they sure as hell don't want to go thru this next year again if we keep him on our roster.

sepporepi
07-14-2008, 02:17 AM

Ah, so you want him traded to the Vkings or Bears then ??

He means Tampa Bay 8-) .

First time week 4 and second time in the playoffs :lol:

twoseven
07-14-2008, 04:30 AM
All things considered, this hypothetical proposal sounds goofy, believing it when it actually happens. But Favre to Tampa not only perpetuates #4 as a thorn in our side, it also may (if #4 were to bloom there) send Garcia packing for a new team, possibly to CHI or MN (?), another thing that really doesn't help GB in the grand scheme of things if it were to happen.

3irty1
07-14-2008, 07:50 AM
All things considered, this hypothetical proposal sounds goofy, believing it when it actually happens. But Favre to Tampa not only perpetuates #4 as a thorn in our side, it also may (if #4 were to bloom there) send Garcia packing for a new team, possibly to CHI or MN (?), another thing that really doesn't help GB in the grand scheme of things if it were to happen.

BINGO.

The Leaper
07-14-2008, 08:02 AM
You don't trade Favre to an NFC team (unless they offer you a ridiculously good deal...I don't consider a 2nd and Simms to be ridiculously good) and you don't release Favre outright.

sheepshead
07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
With Relationship Broken, Bucs Need To Trade Simms
ADVERTISEMENT

By ANWAR S. RICHARDSON

The Tampa Tribune

Published: July 13, 2008

Related Links

Bucs Coverage
TAMPA - Most people can identify with being in a bad relationship that needs to end.

When the relationship first started, there was nothing but hope and promise. It originally seemed that person could be a good fit, but as things progressed, somebody, if not both parties, realized they were not compatible. Then it was time to move on.

This basically summarizes the dysfunctional relationship between the Bucs and Chris Simms, the unhappy quarterback who wants out, but whose team will not let him go.

We learned last week that Dallas, Chicago and Detroit are interested in Simms. There are plenty more rumors to come, and no matter which team Simms plays for this season, he will be a backup - except in Tampa.

That is why it is time for the Bucs to let go and move on.

Simms was criticized by fans and media members for voicing his displeasure this summer, but those opponents fail to realize the obvious.

Before Simms became a starter in 2005, he spent the first six weeks behind Brian Griese. After Griese's injury against Miami, Simms was 5-5 as a starter that season.

Simms struggled in 2006, and after throwing seven interceptions and one touchdown in three games, he suffered a near-fatal spleen injury. As Simms recovered, his frustrations began to mount.

It was easy for Simms to understand why Jeff Garcia started last season. Yet, he was baffled about why Bucs coach Jon Gruden preferred to keep Luke McCown and Bruce Gradkowski on Tampa Bay's roster over him. Think about it. Gradkowski?

The Glazers thought about it, too, and insisted that Simms be retained. However, Simms began reading the writing on the relationship wall this summer.

Garcia was going to start again this season. Griese, the player he previously played behind, was re-signed. McCown, a quarterback Gruden believed was better than Simms last season, was back, while Tampa Bay drafted Josh Johnson in the fifth round, pretty much guaranteeing him a roster spot.

As the fifth quarterback on Tampa Bay's depth chart, Simms just wanted to be released and have an opportunity to play for another team. He wants this relationship to end, but the Bucs are holding on with hopes of getting something in exchange for him.

One reasonable alternative would be to trade Simms for a conditional draft pick based on his playing time. Tampa Bay could initially receive a seventh-round draft pick that could increase to a fifth- or fourth-rounder based on Simms' performance this season. Both teams win in that scenario.

The worst thing is to proudly send a message to Simms that he will only be moved when Tampa Bay says so. Simms could have been traded on draft day, but the longer Tampa Bay holds on to him, his odds of learning another playbook and contributing to another team this season decreases. There is no need to be perceived as a team trying to hurt Simms' career by holding on to him.

When Tampa Bay drafted Simms in 2003, it appeared this could be a powerful union.

Now there is nothing but bitterness, and it needs to end.

DonHutson
07-14-2008, 10:59 AM
A second and a backup veteren QB was the minimum I was looking for in the thread I started about Favre's value.

The three I mentioned there were Favre for Simms or Garcia and a pick, Favre for Boller and a pick, or Favre for Delhomme and a pick.

I'd rather get Garcia in the deal to serve as a one year backup while Brohm gets acclimated to the NFL. But Simms serves the same purpose, and he could be around longer if Brohm or Flynn fail to pan out.

The second rounder basically recoups the pick we spent on Brohm, which may have been used elsewhere had Favre not retired before the draft.

I'm not all that scared of the Buccs in the playoffs. They had a good run through a crappy division to get in last year. Healthier Saints and Panthers teams might knock them out altogether.

cpk1994
07-14-2008, 01:03 PM
How do you trade a player that is still on the retired list? TB is not going to make that deal until BF OFFICIALLY unretires.TB? You mean GB. And I give an emphatic NO to this deal. Chris Simms is a pile of garbage, Not worth it.

packers11
07-14-2008, 01:05 PM
its monday... im waiting :whist:

texaspackerbacker
07-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I hope you're not holding your breath. I think this whole story came from the imagination of the media asshole that wrote it--figuring that Tampa could use Favre, Tampa wants to dump Simms, and wrongly assuming that Green Bay would like a vet backup QB like Simms.

That's not to say that a trade similar to this--hopefully without the backup QB--couldn't happen with any number of teams. But beware when some fool says he knows it's in the works.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 01:57 PM

right, but that doesn't mean that GMs can't make deals conditional on the paperwork going through.

The Leaper
07-14-2008, 01:59 PM
right, but that doesn't mean that GMs can't make deals conditional on the paperwork going through.

Correct.

However, I'm guessing Thompson doesn't want to be the GM that traded Brett Favre unless he really has to be. If Favre doesn't request for activation, Thompson doesn't have to do anything...and why should he?

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 02:02 PM
can you imagine Favre sitting home next fall watching the NFL on TV?

He said he can play, and now he's made a big deal about saying he wants to play. this is his last shot, he's playing.

Gunakor
07-14-2008, 02:07 PM
How do you trade a player that is still on the retired list? TB is not going to make that deal until BF OFFICIALLY unretires.TB? You mean GB. And I give an emphatic NO to this deal. Chris Simms is a pile of garbage, Not worth it.

Simms might be garbage, and he might not be. However, he wasn't even the sticking point to that deal anyway. It's the second round pick that would make this deal work.

DonHutson
07-14-2008, 03:48 PM

Simms might be garbage, and he might not be. However, he wasn't even the sticking point to that deal anyway. It's the second round pick that would make this deal work.

I agree. You're trading for the pick. Presumably the team that gets Favre would have a QB to get rid of. We currently have a rookie as the primary backup. While he seems to be doing fine so far, it might be nice to have a little experience there. The FA options have been, and still are, unpalatable.

So why not take a QB back in the deal? If Simms or whoever it ends up being can't beat out Brohm then we'll get rid of him. If he does, then that's a good thing. It would be preferable to trade Favre into the AFC. A similar trade might bring that 2nd rounder and someone like Kyle Boller or Sage Rosenfeld. Those two are similar to Simms - probably career #2 material. When or if Brohm takes their job, that's fine.

MJZiggy
07-14-2008, 08:15 PM
I thought this deal was supposed to be signed, sealed and delivered by the time I went to work on Monday. Stupid sources...