PDA

View Full Version : Favre on Fox News tonight

dabootski
07-14-2008, 02:06 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/14/favre-on-fox-news-tonight.aspx

Rastak
07-14-2008, 02:11 PM
PFT.com blurb:

FAVRE TO SPEAK ON FOX NEWS
Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2008, 3:03 p.m.
Packers quarterback Brett Favre will end his silence regarding the recent events surrounding his unretirement via an exclusive interview with . . . Greta Van Susteren?

Seriously.

Favre was interviewed on Monday by Van Susteren, who likely doesn’t know whether you put air in a football or give it a facelift, and who hosts an evening show on the Fox News Channel.

In a crypic blurb on her show’s web site, Van Susteren says that Favre “accepts” the decision of G.M. Ted Thompson not to grant his release, but she also reiterates Favre’s desire to exit the Packers.

The interview will air Monday night on Fox News Channel at 10:00 p.m. EDT. (Even Keith Olbermann will be watching.) In a photo on the Van Susteren site, Favre is seen talking to her in his normal appearance — unshaven, gray T-shirt, and camo shorts. Amazingly, however, he is wearing shoes. And socks.

Regardless of the potential impact of Favre’s words on his football career, the selection of FOX News and Van Susteren will raise eyebrows with folks like Chris Mortensen and Peter King and Jay Glazer and Al Jones of the Biloxi Sun-Herald and others who undoubtedly have tried to put themselves in position to get this “get.”

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2008, 02:15 PM
I've been waiting for this, but this could get ugly. I don't think Brett and Ted/Mike are on the same page.

I just interviewed Brett Favre in Mississippi... he is, as you know, entangled in a dispute with the Green Bay Packer General Manager. Brett understands the GM decision... and he accepts it..(And yes he loves the Packer fans)... but now - since the Packer GM made plain he does not want him - he wants to be released by the Packers so that he can see if any other team wants him. I am rushing to the airport but you will see the interview tonight...

I don't think it's so much they don't want him back. I'm sure they are tired of the constant flip-flopping, but they'd probably take him back. The problem is that Brett is thinking about Brett. Ted/Mike have to worry about the team. They have to show the team that Brett isn't bigger than the team. He can't just skip the entire offseason and just expect to waltz back in and get his starting job. They also have to deal with Aaron Rodgers. The dude has been waiting for 3+ years. He put in the work on the practice field and off-the-field to show his teammates he was ready to be the guy, but Brett has taken them on a roller-coaster with the retirement talk the last few years (and took it to a new level this offseason).

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Regardless of the potential impact of Favre’s words on his football career, the selection of FOX News and Van Susteren will raise eyebrows with folks like Chris Mortensen and Peter King and Jay Glazer and Al Jones of the Biloxi Sun-Herald and others who undoubtedly have tried to put themselves in position to get this “get.”

Kind of silly since Greta is a huge Packers fan who has interviewed Brett several times over the years.

Rastak
07-14-2008, 02:18 PM

Kind of silly since Greta is a huge Packers fan who has interviewed Brett several times over the years.

I would think Jones could throw the best softballs.

packers11
07-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Favre your not getting released. Get it through your damn head, you know how the business works...

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Favre was interviewed on Monday by Van Susteren, who likely doesn’t know whether you put air in a football or give it a facelift, and who hosts an evening show on the Fox News Channel.

GVS graduated from the UW-Madison. I don't remember if she was born in WI, but she may know a bit about the Packers.

digitaldean
07-14-2008, 02:30 PM
At least he has spoken.

It kind of clears up some things. But I also believe there's some misunderstanding or too much "reading between the lines" here.

Let's hope this silliness gets resolved quickly.

packinpatland
07-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Is there a way for us not living in WS to see or hear this?

digitaldean
07-14-2008, 02:31 PM

GVS graduated from the UW-Madison. I don't remember if she was born in WI, but she may know a bit about the Packers.

Greta was born and raised in Appleton, WI, a daughter of a county court judge.

dabootski
07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
packinpatland: if you get fox news network, you will get it. its national not regional. if not, find a friend with cable.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Jones might have a face for radio.

This is not the first time Favre has referred to not being sure the team wants him. Its an odd phrase, especially since he used it years before an actual retirement.

Does he really need that much stroking, must the OLine coach, the Head Coach AND the GM all profess their love publicly every year?

Or does he really want to go somewhere else?

I would think Jones could throw the best softballs.

texaspackerbacker
07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
And she is a conservative ...... Can we then assume Brett Favre is a conservative? ....... I digress.

I think what it is logical to read into this is a token of disrepect on Favre's part for ESPN, etc.--what I have referred to as the "media assholes" who have been instigating, mishandling, speculating, and generally getting everything wrong in this whole fiasco.

Wouldn't it be funny if he went on Greta's show and stated that the whole thing is one big crock, and he's just gonna stay retired? I suppose that's just wishful thinking, though.

packinpatland
07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
packinpatland: if you get fox news network, you will get it. its national not regional. if not, find a friend with cable.

Not to sound totally stupid....but what time to they mean when they say 'tonight's news'?

dabootski
07-14-2008, 02:49 PM
packinpatland: 10pm ET

packinpatland
07-14-2008, 02:51 PM
packinpatland: 10pm ET

Badgepack
07-14-2008, 02:55 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8306816?MSNHPHMA

MILWAUKEE (AP) - After avoiding public comment through weeks of speculation about his football future, Brett Favre is speaking for himself: He wants to play but doesn't feel welcome in Green Bay, so he's asking to be released.
Favre's first substantial comments on his latest retirement decision reversal come in an interview with Fox News' Greta Van Susteren scheduled to air at 10 p.m. ET Monday.

"I am guilty of retiring early and there is a reason for that," Favre said, according to an excerpt provided to The Associated Press. "And the major issue is 'Why did he retire,' and 'He asked for a release because he doesn't want to play in Green Bay.' That's not true. And I hope people are hearing this and saying 'OK, that clears it up."'

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 03:00 PM
sounds like this interview is going to rehash what we already know...

-he wants to play
-he knows he shouldn't of retired
-he doesn't think TT or the Packers want him back
-he is asking for his release for these reasons

retailguy
07-14-2008, 03:04 PM
And she is a conservative ...... Can we then assume Brett Favre is a conservative? ....... I digress.

Ummm. NO. She is NOT conservative. She came from CNN.... But, who cares?

sharpe1027
07-14-2008, 03:04 PM

He didn't feel welcome? A virtual guarantee of your starting position, being asked to return, being asked to reconsider your retirement...yet he didn't feel welcome. Hmm. I think he might have some more explaining to do, like some specific examples of why he didn't feel welcome.

I should wait until I hear the interview, but I already feel like saying "Brett, just shutup and lead us to another superbowl win already."

LL2
07-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Does anyone think Brett should "honor" his current contract? If I remember correctly he has preached that many times.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 03:12 PM
He would have no problem honoring it, if the Packers gave him the respect that HE HAS EARNED IN THE NFL OVER 16 SEASONS OF QUARTERBACKING THE PACKERS

sharpe1027
07-14-2008, 03:15 PM
He would have no problem honoring it, if the Packers gave him the respect that HE HAS EARNED IN THE NFL OVER 16 SEASONS OF QUARTERBACKING THE PACKERS

Javon wanted more respect too.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 03:18 PM
No, no.. Javon wanted more money after he already received the front loaded rookie contract... huuuuuge difference and actually two, totally different situations

sharpe1027
07-14-2008, 03:23 PM
No, no.. Javon wanted more money after he already received the front loaded rookie contract... huuuuuge difference and actually two, totally different situations

Different, sure, but similiar enough.

Javon wanted respect in the form of money by releasing him from his current contract obligations and giving him a new contract. Brett wants respect in the form of releasing him from his current contract obligations period. Neither shows much interest in what is best for the team or their signed contract, but at least Javon would have given the Packers something on the field. Releasing Favre leaves them with nothing.

LL2

Some around here and elsewhere seem to have this idea that Favre has “earned the respect” that he should be given the red carpet on any given day he decides to play again. Has Favre earned more respect than the factory worker or person that worked their way into management after 16 years, only to find out on a Friday afternoon he/she is being let go? Favre was not earned any respect in the way he has handled himself this offseason.

Pacopete4
Sharpe... he is going to be paid 13 mil to hold a clip board.... releasing him sure as hell gives the packers back something

dabootski
07-14-2008, 03:27 PM
"Van Susteren, who is from Appleton, Wis., and is a Packers shareholder, said Favre made it clear he would not return to the Packers if he wasn't the starter. And while Favre said the Packers asked him for a list of teams to which he would accept a trade, he wants to be released to make sure he ends up on a competitive club."

linkage: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3486775

i'm starting wonder if the only way this ends is with favre staying retired. he is NOT going to get traded to a competitive NFC team or i will personally hunt down TT. and there are no "competitive" AFC teams that are in need of a QB are there?

fuck this whole thing. seriously.

sharpe1027
Sharpe... he is going to be paid 13 mil to hold a clip board.... releasing him sure as hell gives the packers back something

Uhh...he's only going to be paid if he reports. If he reports he's probably going to start.

Besides, Brett's the contract obligation gives the Packers the right to trade him for fair compensation.

bobblehead

he EARNED millions upon millions of dollars. He never EARNED the right to change his mind back and forth and not allow the team to make decisions because he wasn't making his.

When he retired he gave up anything else the pack owed him, they moved on, now he should. I really wish they would give bus permission to seek a trade to an AFC team.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 03:28 PM
I hope he sticks it to the Packers in the worst way possible and I know deep down that's what he wants to do as well...

Deputy Nutz
07-14-2008, 03:30 PM

He didn't feel welcome? A virtual guarantee of your starting position, being asked to return, being asked to reconsider your retirement...yet he didn't feel welcome. Hmm. I think he might have some more explaining to do, like some specific examples of why he didn't feel welcome.

I should wait until I hear the interview, but I already feel like saying "Brett, just shutup and lead us to another superbowl win already."

Believe it or not, but this is really how I have felt the whole time. Just play the game you love and stop worrying whether the GM wants you or not, he is willing to pay your salary, stop carrying so much about your ego and just play football.

I don't know if I have changed my stance on Favre after I heard that he wanted to come back 30 minutes after he retired and this was accepted by McCarthy and Thompson only then to go back to retirement. What more does he want from this franchise? Does he want Thompson to personally carry him through the airports and sit on his lap during the plane ride and have TT sing to him?

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2008, 03:32 PM
i'm starting wonder if the only way this ends is with favre staying retired. he is NOT going to get traded to a competitive NFC team or i will personally hunt down TT. and there are no "competitive" AFC teams that are in need of a QB are there?

fuck this whole thing. seriously.

I think Baltimore could be competitive with a good QB. McGahee and Heap on offense. Some young talent on the OL. Defense could still be good when healthy.

lod01
07-14-2008, 03:38 PM

javon sucks.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 03:39 PM

javon sucks.

AHAHAHA!... now thats a great post!

svh1962
07-14-2008, 03:43 PM
What is going to happen when someone else on the team decides to do the same thing that Brett is doing because he feels he is being disrespected?

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 03:50 PM
What is going to happen when someone else on the team decides to do the same thing that Brett is doing because he feels he is being disrespected?

You're joking right?... there is no one that's given us 16 years of legendary material who you could even consider in this equation. The ONLY reason this is even a problem is because he can still play at the highest level in the league. You know it, I know it, and so does that man trying to keep him out, Ted Thompson. There has never been a situation quite like this one, not even the Montana situation really compares..

twoseven
07-14-2008, 03:50 PM
I hope he sticks it to the Packers in the worst way possible and I know deep down that's what he wants to do as well...newsflash... he already has.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 03:52 PM
I hope he sticks it to the Packers in the worst way possible and I know deep down that's what he wants to do as well...newsflash... he already has.

Not even close yet... he will make it a lot worse and I cant wait to see ole Teddy boy's face

RIPackerFan
07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
I am thinking that the Packers have told Brett - you are backing up Arod and there will be no competition for a starting position. I think that is why he is pushing for his release - not that he has to compete for a starting position, but that he can't.

While I understand that many of you are pissed and want Favre on the bench, imagine the circus if Favre actually showed up as a back-up with no chance to start.

No doubt in my mind - the lockerroom would be split, the fans would be split, and any FA would think twice about coming to the Pack due to the vindictive nature of management. Arod would have no confidence (since he would be booed and looking over his shoulder every five seconds) - there would be mutiny in every team meeting - and at the end of the day - it would hurt the Pack.

svh1962
07-14-2008, 03:55 PM

You're joking right?... there is no one that's given us 16 years of legendary material who you could even consider in this equation. The ONLY reason this is even a problem is because he can still play at the highest level in the league. You know it, I know it, and so does that man trying to keep him out, Ted Thompson. There has never been a situation quite like this one, not even the Montana situation really compares..

So what you are saying is that Brett is above anyone else on the team and that without him the Packers should fold the franchise?

sharpe1027
07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Paco, with all due respect.

Brett just needs to show up and play, he knows it and you know it. It's been in his hands the whole time. If he wants to play, all he has to do is show up and put in the effort. If he can still sling it, he beats out Rodgers, but they'll probably install him as the starter even if he struggles a little.

The buck stops with Brett, he's been in control all along. If you want to complain, complain about him.

Lurker64
07-14-2008, 03:56 PM

Not even close yet... he will make it a lot worse and I cant wait to see ole Teddy boy's face

Are you sure you're a Packer fan?

Gunakor
07-14-2008, 03:59 PM

What respect are you talking about here Pacopete? Does TT have to fly down to Mississippi to wipe Favre's ass after every time he takes a shit? Does he have to cook him bacon and eggs every morning for breakfast? I don't get it... Just what more were we supposed to do?

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 04:01 PM
the respect that he is the starting QB for the Packers... how hasn't he earned that?

Lurker64
07-14-2008, 04:03 PM
the respect that he is the starting QB for the Packers... how hasn't he earned that?

"Respect" is quantified in terms of tens of millions of dollars in this case. Just because you're a legend doesn't mean you can boss the team around. No matter who you are and who the team is, no player is bigger than a team. Lombardi wasn't bigger than the Packers, and neither is Favre.

Anyway, I would never "respect" somebody so much that I'm willing to shoot myself in the foot at their whim.

twoseven
07-14-2008, 04:06 PM

You're joking right?... there is no one that's given us 16 years of legendary material who you could even consider in this equation. The ONLY reason this is even a problem is because he can still play at the highest level in the league. You know it, I know it, and so does that man trying to keep him out, Ted Thompson. There has never been a situation quite like this one, not even the Montana situation really compares..TT's the one keeping him out, eh?

March..'I quit', later in March 'I want back in', later still in March 'I don't want back in after all', June 20 (speaking to MM) 'I want back in'..MM asks 'can you commit 100%?'..BF says 'No.' Currently BF asks for release and claims he's ready to go but he still hasn't sent his letter to Goodell.

Favre and Favre alone is keeping himself out. Passive aggressive childish behavior is hardly something TT should have to deal with, the Favre camp has been dousing TT with it for weeks now. If BF is a man he should step up like one and stop playing games, get his family to shut the hell up and declare his true intentions for the world to hear. I would like to think we'll see that tonight Fox News, but I doubt it. It will probably be a bunch of bullshit whining about not being wanted. Glad TT and MM already got on record tellng Brett if he wants back in to show his butt up to camp and they'll deal with it. Wonder if that's too complicated for the Favre camp to understand. Check the ego at the door if that's possible, toe the damn line, and I bet Brett is running the show before too long under center in GB again..if his ego will let him. Why should he be offered more than that at this point when he has already proven he doesn't know what the hell he wants, his actions from March until now have shown that pretty clearly.

You're right no situation compares to this. Even a mental patient might be able to show more commitment to a decision AND the ability to speak for themself than BF has in the last few months.

ND72
07-14-2008, 04:07 PM

Van Susteren, is from Appleton, Wis., and is a Packers shareholder.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
If they told him something so inflammatory, I am sure he will mention it in the interview.

I am thinking that the Packers have told Brett - you are backing up Arod and there will be no competition for a starting position. I think that is why he is pushing for his release - not that he has to compete for a starting position, but that he can't.

While I understand that many of you are pissed and want Favre on the bench, imagine the circus if Favre actually showed up as a back-up with no chance to start.

No doubt in my mind - the lockerroom would be split, the fans would be split, and any FA would think twice about coming to the Pack due to the vindictive nature of management. Arod would have no confidence (since he would be booed and looking over his shoulder every five seconds) - there would be mutiny in every team meeting - and at the end of the day - it would hurt the Pack.

ND72
07-14-2008, 04:19 PM
In my opinion, Ted Thompson is doing EXACTLY what he should. Favre is under contract with the Packers. He doesn't have to do a DAMN thing whether anyone likes it or not. If Brett wants to play, show up in 2 weeks and report to camp, and who knows, maybe put the man pants on and win back the team. Everyone wants Favre to basically stick it in Thompson's ass...well, there you go, show up and do it. Otherwise, if you don't like it, or don't want to play for Green Bay, shut up and go ride the tractor. Thompson doesn't need to do shit for you.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Ditto.

In my opinion, Ted Thompson is doing EXACTLY what he should. Favre is under contract with the Packers. He doesn't have to do a DAMN thing whether anyone likes it or not. If Brett wants to play, show up in 2 weeks and report to camp, and who knows, maybe put the man pants on and win back the team. Everyone wants Favre to basically stick it in Thompson's ass...well, there you go, show up and do it. Otherwise, if you don't like it, or don't want to play for Green Bay, shut up and go ride the tractor. Thompson doesn't need to do shit for you.

Deputy Nutz
07-14-2008, 04:29 PM
In my opinion, Ted Thompson is doing EXACTLY what he should. Favre is under contract with the Packers. He doesn't have to do a DAMN thing whether anyone likes it or not. If Brett wants to play, show up in 2 weeks and report to camp, and who knows, maybe put the man pants on and win back the team. Everyone wants Favre to basically stick it in Thompson's ass...well, there you go, show up and do it. Otherwise, if you don't like it, or don't want to play for Green Bay, shut up and go ride the tractor. Thompson doesn't need to do for you.

Well I think Thompson owes him the courtesy of being an unbelievable football player for the Green Bay Packers, but he doesn't need to personally cater to him, more so than any other current Packer.

I am down with the Ted Thompson response.

twoseven
07-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Van Susteren, who is from Appleton, Wis., and is a Packers shareholder, said Favre made it clear he would not return to the Packers if he wasn't the starter.

Lurker64
07-14-2008, 04:38 PM
According to Fox representatives, Favre said he did not want to be traded because that would cede control to the Packers.

This is what really burns me. Brett, you're under contract. That contract means that you receive millions of dollars for playing a game, but also that the other party in the contract decides where and how much you play.

You do not get out of contracts because you want to be out of them, no matter how famous you are. Grow up Brett...

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Van Susteren, who is from Appleton, Wis., and is a Packers shareholder, said Favre made it clear he would not return to the Packers if he wasn't the starter.

And he shouldn't have too...

It's two convo's:

TT: Brett, are you 100% certain that you want to play football again? And can we put this circus behind us?

Brett: Yes Ted, I already miss it and have a lot left in the tank. I'm sorry that it took so long for me to realize it but I am 100% committed to playing football.

TT: Alright, get up to Green Bay and lets get you prepared and caught up for the season.

Brett: Thanks Ted. Let win the whole thing!

-----------------------------------

In TT's office-

TT: Hey Aaron, we are going to bring Brett back because he gives us the best chance to win now. We still have plans for you in this organization and want you to be a big part of it. This is a unique situation and the way you have handled yourself so far shows you can handle this. I hope you really do understand where we are coming from.

Arod: Ted, I understand where you are coming from and will go along with the plan for the team. I hope to be able to gauge the situation as to when Brett is going to leave because I would really love a chance to play football at some point, whether it is here or elsewhere.

Ted: We will do our best to help you with your needs too but as of right now I cannot answer you completely but we will work together to get it done. Thanks for being so understanding.

Bossman641
07-14-2008, 04:52 PM

WTF? Are you even a Packers fan or can you not find the time to do that being on Favre's nuts all day?

son of a vic
07-14-2008, 04:52 PM
"GVS graduated from the UW-Madison. I don't remember if she was born in WI, but she may know a bit about the Packers."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Her pappy was a circuit court judge of Outagamie County in Appleton, 25 miles south of Green Bay.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 04:55 PM

WTF? Are you even a Packers fan or can you not find the time to do that being on Favre's nuts all day?

Huge Packers fan.. but I completely disagree with him not being allowed back as the starting QB for the Pack. It this is the way we treat a guy who basically built the packer back up to where they are today then yes, I hope he sticks it to us.

Chevelle2
07-14-2008, 04:55 PM

It's two convo's:

TT: Brett, are you 100% certain that you want to play football again? And can we put this circus behind us?

Brett: Yes Ted, I already miss it and have a lot left in the tank. I'm sorry that it took so long for me to realize it but I am 100% committed to playing football.

TT: Alright, get up to Green Bay and lets get you prepared and caught up for the season.

In TT's office-

TT: Hey Aaron, we are going to bring Brett back because he gives us the best chance to win now. We still have plans for you in this organization and want you to be a big part of it. This is a unique situation and the way you have handled yourself so far shows you can handle this. I hope you really do understand where we are coming from.

Arod: Ted, I understand where you are coming from and will go along with the plan for the team. I hope to be able to gauge the situation as to when Brett is going to leave because I would really love a chance to play football at some point, whether it is here or elsewhere.

Ted: We will do our best to help you with your needs too but as of right now I cannot answer you completely but we will work together to get it done. Thanks for being so understanding.

This is exactly how things should have gone down. Its unfortunate.

svh1962
07-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I think that the signing of Reggie White is what gave the Packers the Super Bowl.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 05:03 PM
I think that the signing of Reggie White is what gave the Packers the Super Bowl.

Favre was the bigger role, a QB always is. But point is moot because Reggie's not the one who for the last 16 years has won the most NFL games compared to other franchises...

texaspackerbacker
07-14-2008, 05:08 PM

he EARNED millions upon millions of dollars. He never EARNED the right to change his mind back and forth and not allow the team to make decisions because he wasn't making his.

When he retired he gave up anything else the pack owed him, they moved on, now he should. I really wish they would give bus permission to seek a trade to an AFC team.

The last thing I want is to contribute to politics creeping into the Packers forum, but Bobblehead, for a good conservative/libertarian, you say some strange things sometimes. Favre DIDN'T HAVE THE RIGHT to change his mind about whether he wanted to retire? I would be the first to agree, he was bonehead stupid to retire and that the way he handled the whole "itch" fiasco was pretty dumb too, but a person--any person--not having the right to work or not work, etc.? That's tantamount to slavery.

svh1962
07-14-2008, 05:16 PM

Favre was the bigger role, a QB always is. But point is moot because Reggie's not the one who for the last 16 years has won the most NFL games compared to other franchises...

I disagree, Desmond Howard had the bigger role. He was named the Super Bowl MVP, not Brett. Also the Packers only got to the Super Bowl after Reggie was signed. Brett did not get there on his own, he had to rely on the other players. So again I ask, is Brett bigger than the team? If he is, then he should have won more Super Bowls with the players that was on the team for those 16 years.

Gunakor
07-14-2008, 05:19 PM

Huge Packers fan.. but I completely disagree with him not being allowed back as the starting QB for the Pack. It this is the way we treat a guy who basically built the packer back up to where they are today then yes, I hope he sticks it to us.

Hey Paco, what about the way that Favre has treated us? Does he get a free pass?

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Probably would've if Wolf didnt make the biggest mistake of his life and hire Ray Rhodes that eventually went to Mike Sherman... horrible years for Brett to deal with.. McCarthy and Holmgren are the only real coaches he's ever had

twoseven
07-14-2008, 05:20 PM
but a person--any person--not having the right to work or not work, etc.? That's tantamount to slavery...and just handing over the keys to the castle to a guy that has changed his mind about retirement three different times in 3 1/2 months, said 'No' to the question of if he is 100% committed just three weeks ago, and has yet to submit his letter of intention to play to Goodell is tantamount to stupidity.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 05:23 PM
the reason that letter has not been put in because he is tryin to work this out without having to put a time table for the packers to do something.. if he submits that letter, it gives them only so much time.. I believe 10 days.

Lurker64
07-14-2008, 05:23 PM
but a person--any person--not having the right to work or not work, etc.? That's tantamount to slavery...and just handing over the keys to the castle to a guy that has changed his mind about retirement three different times in 3 1/2 months, said 'No' to the question of if he is 100% committed just three weeks ago, and has yet to submit his letter of intention to play to Goodell is tantamount to stupidity.

Also, nobody is saying he can't work. He is fully within his rights to apply for reinstatement and show up to camp and he will be paid handsomely for doing so. What he does not have the right to do is "decide where and under what terms he works", which is essentially the case for everybody on the planet. I'd love to be the CEO of a billion dollar corporation, but nobody is infringing on my rights by telling me I can't have that job.

Similarly, nobody is infringing on Brett's rights by telling him that he can't be the QB for the Minnesota Vikings.

twoseven
07-14-2008, 05:28 PM
the reason that letter has not been put in because he is tryin to work this out without having to put a time table for the packers to do something.. if he submits that letter, it gives them only so much time.. I believe 10 days.Stop drinking the Favre koolaid. The Packers don't have to do anything. 10 days to do what, put him on the roster? Uh oh. Now they're in trouble. Favre is in position to do diddly poo, but sit on his tractor and figure out if his ego wil let him walk into Packer camp like a man, show the team he is committed and get the starting job by taking it, not having it put on a platter for him like some diva.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 05:32 PM
You see, there is part missing from the beginning of your press conference:

Brett: Ted, I want to come back and be the QB of the Green Bay Packers...

Then Ted asks the 100% question. So far all we have is:

Brett: Do you guys still want me?

It's two convo's:

In TT's office-

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 05:36 PM
No koolaid... just stating that he's tryin to work it out in a different way by going to another team instead of putting a timetable on the packers.. i dont see that as backin brett or the pack ha, its just stating facts buddy

twoseven
07-14-2008, 05:42 PM
No koolaid... just stating that he's tryin to work it out in a different way by going to another team instead of putting a timetable on the packers.. i dont see that as backin brett or the pack ha, its just stating facts buddyThanks, buddy. Brett will go NOWHERE until the Pack decides to send him somehere, but keep telling yourself Brett is in some sort of control if it makes you feel better.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Brett Favre just found out what it's like to be told no. I think it's pretty funny to see the tantrum.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Yep twoseven, the Packers told him no and now Favre is throwing a little fit.

The Shadow
07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Brett Favre just found out what it's like to be told no. I think it's pretty funny to see the tantrum.

Could not agree more.

twoseven
07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Brett Favre just found out what it's like to be told no. I think it's pretty funny to see the tantrum.I think it's sad and pathetic. Back in March all I could think about was how cool it was going to be seeing Favre's number retired on opening night..what a pipe dream that has become. Wonder if when all the smoke clears if Brett will even show up for the eventual ceremony.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 05:48 PM
No koolaid... just stating that he's tryin to work it out in a different way by going to another team instead of putting a timetable on the packers.. i dont see that as backin brett or the pack ha, its just stating facts buddyThanks, buddy. Brett will go NOWHERE until the Pack decides to send him somehere, but keep telling yourself Brett is in some sort of control if it makes you feel better.

I never said Brett was in controll Buddy.... I just said that he hasn't turned in the papers because HE/HIMSELF does not want a timetable, he is tryin to work it out without that stuff happening. Learn to read you fuckin idiot

motife
07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
http://packergeeks.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/favre-accuses-packers-of-dishonesty/

Favre Accuses Packers of Dishonesty
Is Brett Favre serious? According to this quote from his Fox News Channel appearance tonight, Favre accuses the Green Bay Packers of making stuff up about his situation.

"Them moving on does not bother me. It doesn’t. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is you know I’m thinking about playing again. The ‘itch’ has been used. That is the word that has been used if you want to say itch, or the fire is coming back, or whatever. If I’m going to play it’s going to be 100% commitment…. And so if you move on, you tell me one thing, don’t come back and tell the public,… just say it. ‘You know, we’ve moved on and we’ll work with Brett on whatever it is.’ Don’t make up a lot of stuff or give half of the truth."

So what, exactly, did they make up? I hope he’ll give details tonight. But I must say he does not come to the claim with a ton of credibility. Nearly a dozen times since this whole began Favre has said things that are demonstrably false or, at the very least, contradicted by sources that don’t have the credibility problems he is creating for himself. I look at some here. Aaron from Cheesehead.tv expands on the subject here. And Foxsports.com’s Mark Kriegel discusses Favre’s credibility here. An excerpt:

"Rather, what so disappoints about this latest episode is the sense that Favre — of all people — has been less than honest with himself and legions who believed in him. Worse still, there’s something disingenuous, even sneaky, about the way this story has played out.

He changed his mind? He’s allowed, I guess. He’s human. But after a goodbye like the one issued in March, if he has something to say, he should say it.

Instead, he takes a pass while friends and family fuel the rumors he has long complained about.

In April, the Los Angeles Times reported that his agent was trying to gauge teams’ interest. “Absolutely false,” said the agent.

Then, last week, came reports saying that Favre had an “itch” to return.

“It’s all rumor,” said the retired quarterback.

Rumor, really? Subsequent statements by his mother, his brother and Packers cornerback Al Harris told you otherwise.

Then there were stories of Favre texting Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson. More rumors, of course.

Now, Favre has asked for a release from the team.

“There’s only one way for me to play the game, and that’s 100 percent,” he said, referring to the rigors of film study and practice. “… if I cannot do those things 100 percent, then I can’t play.”

He didn’t want to do it back in March, but now he does? Why should the Packers, or any other team, believe him? Because he said so?"

Ouch. We’ll have more after the interview tonight.

twoseven
07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Learn to read you fuckin idiothttp://www.afunworld.com/content/20080714/pictures/5/bab067.jpg

twoseven
07-14-2008, 06:04 PM

I never said Brett was in controll Buddy.... I just said that he hasn't turned in the papers because HE/HIMSELF does not want a timetable, he is tryin to work it out without that stuff happening. Learn to read you fuckin idiotWho's the fucking idiot?

packers11
07-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Brett Favre told FOXNews' Greta Van Susteren in Monday's interview that the Packers asked him for a list of team's he's willing to be traded to.

Favre also said wants to be on a contender. Presumably, the Packers would rather not deal Favre inside the conference and will certainly not let him go to an intradivision rival. The Dolphins would seem Green Bay's ideal option, but they went 1-15 last year. We're speculating, but GM Ted Thompson may have to suck it up and send Favre to Tampa. The Bucs host the Pack in Week 4.

Source: Associated Press

packers11
07-14-2008, 06:26 PM
In Monday's interview with Greta Van Susteren of FOXNews, Brett Favre says he isn't interested in backing up Aaron Rodgers in 2008 and reiterates that he doesn't want to be traded.

Quotes from the interview, which will be aired late Monday night, are slowly emerging. Favre also says he wants to play in 2008, but isn't sure where yet. "(The Packers) moving on does not bother me," Favre adds. "It doesn't. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd I knew that could possibly happen."

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

packers11
07-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Citing a team source, the Baltimore Sun reports that the Ravens are unlikely to pursue Brett Favre if he becomes available.

The Ravens are apparently satisfied with their current QB situation, which includes Troy Smith, Kyle Boller, and Joe Flacco. Smith is the early favorite to start in Week 1, while Flacco will be given a long look this preseason.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 06:27 PM

It's two convo's:

In TT's office-

This is exactly how things should have gone down. Its unfortunate.

Yes, exactly how things should have gone down - back in March or April. But Favre changed his mind then, twice. As late as the end of June he still wasn't committed to returning. Then in July he DEMANDS start me or release me.

What BS.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Favre also said wants to be on a contender.... GM Ted Thompson may have to suck it up and send Favre to Tampa. The Bucs host the Pack in Week 4.

TT doesn't have to do shit. IF Miami offers a far better price for Favre, trade him to Miami. Favre can stay retired if he wants to.

I understand that TT will try to accomodate Favre's wishes, but he doesn't have a gun to his head.

It's the Green Bay PAckers, not the Brett Favre Packers.

MJZiggy
07-14-2008, 07:01 PM
the reason that letter has not been put in because he is tryin to work this out without having to put a time table for the packers to do something.. if he submits that letter, it gives them only so much time.. I believe 10 days.

If he submits the papers, the Packers add him to the roster and can take as much time as they want to do whatever they feel like doing. From the sound of things, if Favre is delaying in hopes that something gets done so he never has to find himself on a depth chart behind Aaron Rodgers--even for a short while.

Chevelle2
07-14-2008, 07:05 PM

If he submits the papers, the Packers add him to the roster and can take as much time as they want to do whatever they feel like doing. From the sound of things, if Favre is delaying in hopes that something gets done so he never has to find himself on a depth chart behind Aaron Rodgers--even for a short while.

Couldn't Favre make things really difficult tho? Like show up to TC with a media circus, just to be a d!ck?

MJZiggy
07-14-2008, 07:17 PM
He has to submit the papers first and be willing to be listed as a backup. He could certainly make a media circus, but if you look around, there are people getting sick of the drama now--and if he showed up to training camp, it would be a media circus regardless, let's not kid ourselves, but if he's gonna be a dick, he's gonna look like a dick and likely wind up traded to Miami or Buffalo.

Where he can either lose a lot or freeze his ass off and play for a worse team than he'd freeze his ass off for now.

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Think of the fire that can be spit back and forth in here if Brett Favre comes to Packers camp, plays about even with AROD, and loses his starters position and consecutive game streak becasuse he's a backup :lol: :cry:

PackerTimer
07-14-2008, 07:59 PM
According to Fox representatives, Favre said he did not want to be traded because that would cede control to the Packers.

This is what really burns me. Brett, you're under contract. That contract means that you receive millions of dollars for playing a game, but also that the other party in the contract decides where and how much you play.

You do not get out of contracts because you want to be out of them, no matter how famous you are. Grow up Brett...

Totally agree. This is where the JWalk and Favre situations get very similar. Both were under contract. Both want out for their own selfish reasons. Only now the shoe is on the other foot and Brett looks a lot like a hypocrit.