PDA

View Full Version : Van Susteren: Favre Felt Pressured

pbmax
07-14-2008, 05:58 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/14/van-susteren-favre-wants-to-play.aspx

According to JSOnline, Favre tells Van Susteren that he felt pressured by the Packers desire to know by the draft. I think our record player is skipping on a scratch.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 06:01 PM
You know, rooting for the Lions can cause much less stress day to day, especially in the offseason*. But all that losing might still take years off your life like you were smoking.

*Unless they draft a WR in the first round.

motife
07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
http://packergeeks.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/favre-accuses-packers-of-dishonesty/

Favre Accuses Packers of Dishonesty
Is Brett Favre serious? According to this quote from his Fox News Channel appearance tonight, Favre accuses the Green Bay Packers of making stuff up about his situation.

"Them moving on does not bother me. It doesn’t. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is you know I’m thinking about playing again. The ‘itch’ has been used. That is the word that has been used if you want to say itch, or the fire is coming back, or whatever. If I’m going to play it’s going to be 100% commitment…. And so if you move on, you tell me one thing, don’t come back and tell the public,… just say it. ‘You know, we’ve moved on and we’ll work with Brett on whatever it is.’ Don’t make up a lot of stuff or give half of the truth."

So what, exactly, did they make up? I hope he’ll give details tonight. But I must say he does not come to the claim with a ton of credibility. Nearly a dozen times since this whole began Favre has said things that are demonstrably false or, at the very least, contradicted by sources that don’t have the credibility problems he is creating for himself. I look at some here. Aaron from Cheesehead.tv expands on the subject here. And Foxsports.com’s Mark Kriegel discusses Favre’s credibility here. An excerpt:

"Rather, what so disappoints about this latest episode is the sense that Favre — of all people — has been less than honest with himself and legions who believed in him. Worse still, there’s something disingenuous, even sneaky, about the way this story has played out.

He changed his mind? He’s allowed, I guess. He’s human. But after a goodbye like the one issued in March, if he has something to say, he should say it.

Instead, he takes a pass while friends and family fuel the rumors he has long complained about.

In April, the Los Angeles Times reported that his agent was trying to gauge teams’ interest. “Absolutely false,” said the agent.

Then, last week, came reports saying that Favre had an “itch” to return.

“It’s all rumor,” said the retired quarterback.

Rumor, really? Subsequent statements by his mother, his brother and Packers cornerback Al Harris told you otherwise.

Then there were stories of Favre texting Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson. More rumors, of course.

Now, Favre has asked for a release from the team.

“There’s only one way for me to play the game, and that’s 100 percent,” he said, referring to the rigors of film study and practice. “… if I cannot do those things 100 percent, then I can’t play.”

He didn’t want to do it back in March, but now he does? Why should the Packers, or any other team, believe him? Because he said so?"

Ouch. We’ll have more after the interview tonight.

SMACKTALKIE
07-14-2008, 06:44 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com

Brett Favre told FOXNews' Greta Van Susteren in Monday's interview that the Packers asked him for a list of team's he's willing to be traded to.

Favre also said wants to be on a contender. Presumably, the Packers would rather not deal Favre inside the conference and will certainly not let him go to an intradivision rival. The Dolphins would seem Green Bay's ideal option, but they went 1-15 last year. We're speculating, but GM Ted Thompson may have to suck it up and send Favre to Tampa. The Bucs host the Pack in Week 4.

SMACKTALKIE
07-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Sorry......I just saw this somewhere else. Just hard to keep up with all the threads.

vince
07-14-2008, 06:50 PM
http://packergeeks.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/favre-accuses-packers-of-dishonesty/

Favre Accuses Packers of Dishonesty
Is Brett Favre serious? According to this quote from his Fox News Channel appearance tonight, Favre accuses the Green Bay Packers of making stuff up about his situation.

"Them moving on does not bother me. It doesn’t. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is you know I’m thinking about playing again. The ‘itch’ has been used. That is the word that has been used if you want to say itch, or the fire is coming back, or whatever. If I’m going to play it’s going to be 100% commitment…. And so if you move on, you tell me one thing, don’t come back and tell the public,… just say it. ‘You know, we’ve moved on and we’ll work with Brett on whatever it is.’ Don’t make up a lot of stuff or give half of the truth."

So what, exactly, did they make up? I hope he’ll give details tonight. But I must say he does not come to the claim with a ton of credibility. Nearly a dozen times since this whole began Favre has said things that are demonstrably false or, at the very least, contradicted by sources that don’t have the credibility problems he is creating for himself. I look at some here. Aaron from Cheesehead.tv expands on the subject here. And Foxsports.com’s Mark Kriegel discusses Favre’s credibility here. An excerpt:

"Rather, what so disappoints about this latest episode is the sense that Favre — of all people — has been less than honest with himself and legions who believed in him. Worse still, there’s something disingenuous, even sneaky, about the way this story has played out.

He changed his mind? He’s allowed, I guess. He’s human. But after a goodbye like the one issued in March, if he has something to say, he should say it.

Instead, he takes a pass while friends and family fuel the rumors he has long complained about.

In April, the Los Angeles Times reported that his agent was trying to gauge teams’ interest. “Absolutely false,” said the agent.

Then, last week, came reports saying that Favre had an “itch” to return.

“It’s all rumor,” said the retired quarterback.

Rumor, really? Subsequent statements by his mother, his brother and Packers cornerback Al Harris told you otherwise.

Then there were stories of Favre texting Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson. More rumors, of course.

Now, Favre has asked for a release from the team.

“There’s only one way for me to play the game, and that’s 100 percent,” he said, referring to the rigors of film study and practice. “… if I cannot do those things 100 percent, then I can’t play.”

He didn’t want to do it back in March, but now he does? Why should the Packers, or any other team, believe him? Because he said so?"

Ouch. We’ll have more after the interview tonight.
That's a great blog entry right there. We'll see if Brett comes with details to support his accusations tonight.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 06:52 PM
sounds like this interview is gonna be a doozy! :lol:

The Shadow
07-14-2008, 06:55 PM
I am very embarrassed for Brett Favre.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Favre is really scorned. It's kind of sad, like watching a young child throw a tantrum but it is all part of the learning process. When you've never been told no it can be a pretty big shock when it happens. It's a little sad and pathetic. He needed this though. He just lost his ground and MM/TT were having no part of it.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 06:58 PM
I am very embarrassed for Brett Favre.

Haha, if you look at my post below I called it sad and pathetic. I (and you) always saw this in Brett but it's sad to see his fans have to see it up close and personal.

gbgary
07-14-2008, 07:02 PM
well...he finally speaks. since he wants to play and the fans clearly want him back then, to me, that settles it. he's still good and if he wants to win, which he always has, then this team is the only option for him. i'm sorry if Rodgers gets pissed/hurt or whatever but we've had good back-ups before and traded them so if he wants to go then so be it. they'd probably get a higher draft pick for him anyway. TT will just have to get over it. they love BB and if he pans out TT will still look like a genius. so get an experienced back up and let's move on.....again.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 07:06 PM
well...he finally speaks. since he wants to play and the fans clearly want him back then, to me, that settles it.

you accept Favre's terms that he be guaranteed a starting job!?

ya know, it's up to the Coach & GM. They deserve the right to make the call.

gbgary
07-14-2008, 07:11 PM
well...he finally speaks. since he wants to play and the fans clearly want him back then, to me, that settles it.

you accept Favre's terms that he be guaranteed a starting job!?

ya know, it's up to the Coach & GM. They deserve the right to make the call.

i hear ya. but who doesn't think Brett is better than Rodgers? the only thing AR has over Brett is legs. it'll be a no-brainer for MM and TT.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 07:11 PM
well...he finally speaks. since he wants to play and the fans clearly want him back then, to me, that settles it. he's still good and if he wants to win, which he always has, then this team is the only option for him. i'm sorry if Rodgers gets pissed/hurt or whatever but we've had good back-ups before and traded them so if he wants to go then so be it. they'd probably get a higher draft pick for him anyway. TT will just have to get over it. they love BB and if he pans out TT will still look like a genius. so get an experienced back up and let's move on.....again.

:lol:

Are you paying attention?

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 07:14 PM
i hear ya. but who doesn't think Brett is better than Rodgers? the only thing AR has over Brett is legs. it'll be a no-brainer for MM and TT.

evidently it is very much a brainer. Favre has been completely flakey the last several months. He's 39. TT has to think about the future.

Lurker64
07-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Does everybody have their "World's Smallest Violins" ready for this interview tonight?

gbgary
07-14-2008, 07:24 PM

Are you paying attention?

i'm going by what i've heard quoted from the interview on nfl network and the phone poll. when i hear the whole interview tonight i may change my mind.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Does everybody have their "World's Smallest Violins" ready for this interview tonight?

I'm sorry but I get great joy out of this. I've seen this spoiled Diva for too long and have been really dumbfounded that 90% of Packer fans have been completely oblivious to it. There are still a minority of idiots who will never see it but it's great to see so many people realizing what Favre hid so well.

motife
07-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Favre is showing himself at his worse right now.

This episode may to some extent tarnish his whole career.

As said above, if you want to come back say so. Directly to Packer mgmt.

Not through your mother or your brother or the Biloxi News or leaks. Especially after you turned down an offer to return when you did say so and left everybody hanging for the umpteenth time.

I didn't have the stomach to listen to Favre's long winded monotone interviews after a victory. I'm sure not going to listen to this travesty.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 07:55 PM

Not through your mother or your brother or the Biloxi News or leaks. Especially after you turned down an offer to return when you did say so and left everybody hanging for the umpteenth time.

I didn't have the stomach to listen to Favre's long winded monotone interviews after a victory. I'm sure not going to listen to this travesty.

So what you're sayin is that you are going to listen to MM and TT only and not listen to Brett's side of the story?... that makes a heck of a lot of sense....

Merlin
07-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Favre has the right to put his side of the story out there. Personally for me anyway, he needs to file for reinstatement and then start the talk. The Packers didn't know he was committed to playing 100% and now they do, I think that changes the outlook from the Packers perspective. But for them to believe it, Favre has to file for reinstatement, something he has not done yet. If Favre files for reinstatement then it's at least on paper that he is committed 100%, then the Packers may change their stance on the situation, which they should if you believe they want to do what is best for the team. This whole "build for the future" mantra is really old. Thompson has had his "future building" for 3 years going on 4 now. At some point you have to realize that future is NOW. Rodgers may be the answer but it's hard to argue that he is better then Favre if both are on the roster and healthy. Thompson would be shooting himself in the foot if Favre files for reinstatement and he trades him. I am hopeful that all of Thompsons and McCarthy's comments are out there to vet out whether or not Favre is serious about returning. Once the reinstatement papers are filed, the answer should be crystal clear.

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 08:58 PM
what channel is this dang thing on ???

packinpatland
07-14-2008, 09:09 PM
what channel is this dang thing on ???

I still can't find it. :roll:

green_bowl_packer
07-14-2008, 09:10 PM
FOX NEWS

packinpatland
07-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I've got FoxNews on, and all it is is local stuff.

Rastak
07-14-2008, 09:13 PM

Not your local fox station, cable news network FoxNews.

Actually it just ended, they will have part 2 tomorrow.

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 09:14 PM
It was on channel 66 in Milwaukee area

Rastak
07-14-2008, 09:15 PM
He basically said McCarthy said they didn't want him but then TT changed the story and said he'd be a backup (I think that was just Favre's interpetation).

He was very complimentary of the Packers pretty much all the interview so far (part one).

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 09:17 PM
This is what I said in April. This is pretty much what Brett just said.

April statement "Also, Havel has said over the last week or two that the Packers didn't even make an effort to ask him to come back. From everything I am piecing together, they made the deadline and told him he had to have an answer. He told them on that day that he had to retire becuase he wasn't sure. They said "OK". It all happened very fast. I don't even think Brett realized they were serious. He's used to being given more time, given mini camps off and being coddled. Instead they hung up the phone and let the story out before he could change his mind, then called him in for a retirement presser. Just like that, he was done. In his mind, I think he was just posturing to have mini camp off. In McCarthy's mind it was over on that day."

HowardRoark
07-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Damn, he sure sounded and looked like Bill Clinton. Those Southern dudes sure have the same mannerisms.

1. Take the nut case back.

2. Tell him he has to play for 3 years. No more talking AT ALL.

3. Trade Rodgers, get some playmakers/draft picks. Do what's right for the kid, he deserves it.

4. Get Brohm ready.

5. Have a beer and move on.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 09:21 PM
I do think Brett is a pampered brat but I don't think he confused the signals. The Packers may not have wanted Favre gone, but I don't think they were worried if he left and to an ego as delicate as Brett's that is enough to put him over the edge.

They're doing everythign they can to avoid putting any undue pressure on Rodgers but the signals are clear. They believe in him. They believe in him so much that they're not willing to put up with Brett's will I/won't I act any more.

I don't think the Packers pushed this, but I think they set a standard that he was going to have to be there in the offseason and if he wasn't willing to work as hard as Rodgers then they'd move forward. They did.

Kiwon
07-14-2008, 09:21 PM

No matter what he says or does his career will be celebrated and his number retired in Green Bay...... eventually, but it's a real shame that it comes to this.

This trouble is all on him.

He left the game on a high point in his career (just the way he said he wanted to) and then he pulls this stunt.

Brett's a unique individual who can think and make the right snap decisions on his feet under duress but can't make them sitting down with all the time in the world. I guess he's got this Spiderman Peter Parker-thing where he talks to himself constantly and convinces himself of one position and then another and then another.

He is letting his ego get the best of him. If he would "play the game for free" as he has always claimed then he should be willing to accept a backup role if he can't win the starting job from Rodgers. Brett's showing that he's not the "team first" guy that he's always claimed to be.

He is absolutely tarnishing his legacy.

woodbuck27
07-14-2008, 09:24 PM

So what you're sayin is that you are going to listen to MM and TT only and not listen to Brett's side of the story?... that makes a heck of a lot of sense....

I'll take 'the man's word' over managements word... any day.

Where did you fellas spend your life? With your head stuck in the sand? Since when has management generally been fair? That's why Unions were created and why today Unions are in such strife.

Management only protects the allmighty dolar and screw the men.

Yes for sure we can expect the man Favre is to lie or waffle and all we've seen in TT since he got here was... well maybe's. Brett Favre will tell it straight up only if he's damn sure he's done in Green Bay.

I sense that's the case unless the fans get 'the facts' or Favre's side of the story.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 09:28 PM
We'll see what happens. I think there are a couple things that came out of htis.

1. Brett's not willing to work all off season like the rest of the team

2. The Packers do not feel they need Brett badly enough to put up with his act of not being a part of the team.

As dramatic as this is, if you sit back and read the signs I acctually think they point to really good things for the Packers. If McCarthy knows anything about he QB position, his actions of not taking Favre in June show that he thinks this team is in good hands with Rodgers. I'm more excited now than I was before any of this came out. I trust McCarthys opinion over my own and his opinion is clear if actions speak louder than words.

The Packers are in good hands at QB. Trust McCArthy's actions.

The Shadow
07-14-2008, 09:30 PM
He's had his way for years, finally had his bluff called, and now he's whining.
Sooner or later, he needed to grow up.
Bye.

digitaldean
07-14-2008, 09:30 PM
First off, I am GLAD Brett finally said something himself. He seemed to lay it out on the table but kind of missed a few facts.

This is my opinion and may be totally wrong. But I think TT and M3 were just flat out tired of the back and forth they had to endure the past couple of years.

The one thing I picked up was BF failed to mention that he cancelled the unretirement meeting a day or two before M3 and TT were coming to Miss.

Nothing was mentioned about TT coming to Hattiesburg and visiting Brett in May.

I think we found a little more that the Packers wanted to have BF make up his mind before training camp because they thought Aaron was ready.

It sure appears he'd like to clock TT. The insinuations and the half truths coming out of both camps (after hearing him speak for himself). I don't know if this situation is irreparable, but it sure looks like its on life support.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
He's had his way for years, finally had his bluff called, and now he's whining.
Sooner or later, he needed to grow up.
Bye.

Perfectly said, Shadow. Favre is getting what he deserves. Hopefully it helps in in the long run. He has a good opportunity to put his feet back on ground after all of this.

woodbuck27
07-14-2008, 09:32 PM
We'll see what happens. I think there are a couple things that came out of htis.

2. The Packers do not feel they need Brett badly enough to put up with his act of not being a part of the team.

As dramatic as this is, if you sit back and read the signs I acctually think they point to really good things for the Packers. If McCarthy knows anything about he QB position, his actions of not taking Favre in June show that he thinks this team is in good hands with Rodgers. I'm more excited now than I was before any of this came out.

Yes sure your feelings are respected by me JH, but this isn't about Aaron Rodgers 'the next Packer starting QB' and what MM thinks of his abilities /skills.

This is about a man wanting to get his side of the story viewed in public. This is about integrity and honor and due respect. This is about 'the TRUTH'.

This is about Packer fans/ NFL fans... hearing Favre's side of the story.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 09:36 PM

As dramatic as this is, if you sit back and read the signs I acctually think they point to really good things for the Packers. If McCarthy knows anything about he QB position, his actions of not taking Favre in June show that he thinks this team is in good hands with Rodgers. I'm more excited now than I was before any of this came out.

Yes sure your fellings are respected by me JH but this isn't about Aaron Rodgers the next packer starting QB and what MMM thinks of his abilities /skills.

This is about a man wanting to get his side of the story viewd in public. this is about integrity and honor and due respect. This is about 'the TRUTH'.

This is about a person who at some point stopped appreciating the wonderfull opportunity that he had and the life he was given from being gifted at a boys game. This is about that person being surrounded with yes men and losing the one person who kept him grounded, his father. This is about that person not bothering to show up and put the work in with his team. This is about a person who thinks he's earned the right to just show up whenever he wants. This is about a team that doesn't worship him and feels they have enough ammo to move ahead. This is about a team that will not allow any member to be above the team. This is about Brett learning that he's not above the team. This is about a lot of things, the truth being closer to the bottom as it was out already.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Part of that can't be right because both Favre and McCarthy are on record saying he called M3 twice, once to say he was retiring, M3 asked him to take the weekend (or a couple of days) to think it over and he called saying he hadn't changed his mind.

So it wasn't received with just a "Yep, OK".

Why does the team need to ask him to come back?

$13 million, young improving roster, NFC Championship berth isn't enough of how serious and good these guys are? They need to ask?

This is what I said in April. This is pretty much what Brett just said.

April statement "Also, Havel has said over the last week or two that the Packers didn't even make an effort to ask him to come back. From everything I am piecing together, they made the deadline and told him he had to have an answer. He told them on that day that he had to retire becuase he wasn't sure. They said "OK". It all happened very fast. I don't even think Brett realized they were serious. He's used to being given more time, given mini camps off and being coddled. Instead they hung up the phone and let the story out before he could change his mind, then called him in for a retirement presser. Just like that, he was done. In his mind, I think he was just posturing to have mini camp off. In McCarthy's mind it was over on that day."

woodbuck27
07-14-2008, 09:38 PM

Not your local fox station, cable news network FoxNews.

Actually it just ended, they will have part 2 tomorrow.

Hahahahahahahahaha... GOOD ONE Rastak. :D X 10

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Right, it's not exact. The Packers did want him back, just not badly enough for him to get away with leaving his team to grow alone in the offseason only to show up on sundays and act like he's one of hte guys.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 09:39 PM
No one person, even a witness, has a monopoly on truth. It can't just be about Favre. And the agendas of Favre and the Packers do not have to mesh.

Fans are rightfully more concerned about the franchise than the QB. At this point, I am more concerned about McCarthy and Rodgers than I am about Favre. Brett's desires are just passing the time until training camp.

Yes sure your feelings are respected by me JH, but this isn't about Aaron Rodgers 'the next Packer starting QB' and what MM thinks of his abilities /skills.

This is about a man wanting to get his side of the story viewed in public. This is about integrity and honor and due respect. This is about 'the TRUTH'.

RIPackerFan
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
My Take:

MM and TT just signed extensions - they no longer had to immediately produce - and as thus, can take a few years of "learning" about the new QBs (with the additional losses that go with trying to find the next QB) and not worrying about a job. It was perfect timing (for them) for Favre to leave. This is the reason why they were indifferent on him leaving - this is why they are indifferent for him coming back.

They know they can have a bad year or two (just in case Arod doesn't pan out) - why do you think they picked up Broehm?

Favre feeling the pressure (since they really did have to plan), retired (feeling wrongly, that he would always be welcome back). When he started feeling around, he found out he was wrong.

There is no doubt in my mind that MM said you can't come back and you can't play for anyone else (which is why he asked for his release - I wouldn't expect anything else from any player who wants to come back). They don't want him to come back - they are not looking at having the best year next year - but what will produce in two to three years - so they are willing to "risk" this year.

While many are pissed at Favre - I can see his point - and while people are sceaming about making a decision so late in the game - how many players make the committment three weeks before the games start (i.e. Strahan).

digitaldean
07-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Just listened to an interview with Greta on WSSP in Milwaukee.

She's stating the reason why he wants to be released is because he doesn't want to have a divided locker room. He understands the Packers commitment to Rodgers. Plus Greta has heard from her sources that the March meeting cancellation in Hattiesburg was due a schedule conflict last second with M3 or TT.

It's now appearing this is a he said/she said type of situation. Some of the stuff that came out during Greta's interview and BF's was that the Packers kind of called him on the wavering.

Man, I am torn about giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, If he REALLY wants to play in Green Bay and he hasn't filed his retirement papers, then he should get his butt in GB before training camp starts, talk to M3, TT, heck even the entire board of directors so this gets ironed out. But if he paints it as if he can't play in GB anymore and wants to just be released, then he better get used to riding the John Deere in Mississippi because he won't go anywhere.

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 10:09 PM
My Take:

MM and TT just signed extensions - they no longer had to immediately produce - and as thus, can take a few years of "learning" about the new QBs (with the additional losses that go with trying to find the next QB) and not worrying about a job. It was perfect timing (for them) for Favre to leave. This is the reason why they were indifferent on him leaving - this is why they are indifferent for him coming back.

They know they can have a bad year or two (just in case Arod doesn't pan out) - why do you think they picked up Broehm?

Favre feeling the pressure (since they really did have to plan), retired (feeling wrongly, that he would always be welcome back). When he started feeling around, he found out he was wrong.

There is no doubt in my mind that MM said you can't come back and you can't play for anyone else (which is why he asked for his release - I wouldn't expect anything else from any player who wants to come back). They don't want him to come back - they are not looking at having the best year next year - but what will produce in two to three years - so they are willing to "risk" this year.

While many are pissed at Favre - I can see his point - and while people are sceaming about making a decision so late in the game - how many players make the committment three weeks before the games start (i.e. Strahan).

:knll:

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2008, 10:13 PM
I didn't think it was near as bitter as people made it out to be. It's kind of what I expected. Brett won't be playing in Green Bay, but I pretty much knew that before this interview.

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I didn't think it was near as bitter as people made it out to be. It's kind of what I expected. Brett won't be playing in Green Bay, but I pretty much knew that before this interview.

It was strong and with conviction

We rarely see that in a Favre interview

Kiwon
07-14-2008, 11:06 PM

It was strong and with conviction

We rarely see that in a Favre interview

I'm not getting Brett's reasoning....they wanted an answer in March before FA and the draft so he retired before he was totally ready.

Well, why give an answer at all if you are not ready? What can TT do to you one way or the other? The fans would have sided with Farve over TT especially after last season.

But WHATEVER happened in the past..... I don't think anything is beyond reconciliation at this point.

I think a third party can talk some sense into Brett and convince him to come back and compete for the starting job. As along as A-Rod keeps his wits and doesn't go nuts in the press I think that the two of them can co-exist as starter and back-up in either position.

texaspackerbacker
07-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Maybe it's rose colored glasses or something, I didn't think Brett was quite as bitter and pathetic as some in here make him out to be. I guy has always impressed me as kind of naive and suggestive, and that's the way he looked tonight.

I think this fiasco had its roots in the long drawn out "to retire or not retire" thing before the '07 season. Obviously, the Packers told him not to pull that crap this year. So because he was rushed, he was "guilty of retiring too early".

You could say that he made that hasty decision out of spite because they rushed him. I don't see it that way, though. I believe what he says that he couldn't commit to a 100% effort in March. It was a stupid decision, but a sincere one.

Now he wants to play, and the Packers say no. I got the impression that he is resigned to the fact that his fate is up to the Packers. The bottom line is that if the Packers are willing to pay his salary, they can just let him sit--put him on inactive status. I get the impression that is exactly what will happen. They aren't gonna give in and release him, probably not even trade him, and he isn't gonna save them the $12 million or whatever by simply retiring.

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Favre suggests Packers haven't been telling truth

By Tom Pelissero • tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com • July 15, 2008

In what has evolved into a high-stakes staring contest between the Green Bay Packers and their longtime quarterback, Brett Favre did not blink on Monday.

Favre's first public comments since the team rejected his request for his release were strong, pointed and at times bitingly sarcastic, and he stated repeatedly that the team has told him he is no longer welcome in Green Bay.

The roughly 11-minute segment, which appeared on the Fox News program "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren," did nothing to disprove the perception that there is a growing schism between the three-time NFL MVP and the team for which he starred the past 16 seasons.

If anything, that gap opened wider as Favre suggested the team was lying publicly about its discussions with him, wants to prevent him from playing elsewhere — though he noted he "may not play anywhere" — and is patronizing him by suggesting publicly he could return but might not start.

"I'm guilty of one thing, and that's retiring early, and I have an answer for that," said Favre, who has made few televised remarks since his tearful retirement speech on March 6. "I knew that I would have second thoughts, and I think Mike (McCarthy, the Packers coach) has even made the comment that, 'You know, I knew Brett would go through this. I knew that he would have these second thoughts.'

"Well, I am. And so, I mean, you're telling me playing (in Green Bay) is not an option, but playing elsewhere, 'We just can't … we're trying to protect your legacy.' Well, thank you, I appreciate that. But apparently now, they want to protect my legacy by bringing me back and having me be a backup. Boy, that, that is really good."

Favre's remarks were a direct answer to those made Saturday by McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson, who told the Green Bay Press-Gazette he was open to Favre's return but "the scenery has changed."

Favre's wife, Deanna, e-mailed Van Susteren — an Appleton native and Packers shareholder who previously interviewed the Favres about Deanna's book — on Saturday to set up the interview after reading those comments.

While Favre repeatedly told Van Susteren he understood the team had to move on, he strongly suggested his decision to retire was impacted by the organization's insistence on having a decision early in the offseason.

"Am I mad at them for that? No," he said.

"And I think that's what needs to be cleared up, is that, hey, you wanted an answer? I gave you the honest answer at that time, as opposed to lying to you and saying, 'Yeah, oh yeah, I'll come back,' and giving you not what's expected of me, and that's 100 percent effort."

Favre described in detail his recollection of a June 20 phone conversation with McCarthy, which was the impetus for the comeback talk that has made waves the past two weeks. Favre said he told McCarthy he'd gotten over the mental hurdle, begun working out at a local high school and was thinking about returning, then asked for McCarthy's thoughts.

According to Favre, McCarthy said,

"'We moved on. I had to tell the team something. … You told me you were not 100 percent committed back, not only when you retired, but several weeks (after). We were talking about coming down there (in late March), and we've had that conversation, and you said you were not 100 percent committed.'

I said, 'You're right. You're absolutely right.'

"And I said, 'But Mike' — and it was a good conversation, and we've always had good communication, the two of us —

and I said, 'You're right. I totally agree. I was not 100 percent committed.' And I said, 'But you guys wanted an answer, in March, and I gave you the honest answer. … Had I been able to wait until training camp, that would have been great.'

He said, 'Well, why didn't you tell me that? We would have let you do it.'"

But Favre said he did tell the team that initially and was pushed to make up his mind before the NFL draft, in which the Packers selected two quarterbacks, Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn, to back up new starter Aaron Rodgers.

A second portion of the interview is to air tonight on "On the Record."

According to excerpts distributed by the network, Favre told Van Susteren the Packers have asked him for a list of teams to which he would accept a trade, but that he wants to be released so he can control his destination.

In Monday's excerpt, Favre called a trade — widely viewed as the most mutually beneficial option for resolving the escalating situation — as "a way-out-there possibility." He also said he has not and cannot envision playing for another team.

Van Susteren, who has interviewed Favre three times, said in a phone interview shortly before Monday's show the future Hall of Famer

"seemed like Brett Favre with a touch of, 'I want to play,' that level of enthusiasm. And also mixed in it with, I think there's a certain bit of, 'I wish it had been different.'"

It's too late for that, and Favre's statements erased any sense the sides might be approaching middle ground.

Instead, it seems things only can get messier and weirder from here.

Don't blink.

sharpe1027
07-15-2008, 10:01 AM
He said, 'Well, why didn't you tell me that? We would have let you do it.'"

Same as every year...I can't fault them for trying to ask him to make up his mind as early as possible.

Look at it from their point of view, anytime you lose someone like Favre, you need to take a good hard look at your team and plan accordingly. You can't just plug someone in to do the job of a HoF QB. I'm willing to be they spent a lot of effort planning accordingly.

They didn't seem to have put the heat on intentionally, although Favre may have looked at it that way.

I still can't get over how little effort Favre has put forth in trying to make this work. He's makes one serious phone call about coming back, and when he wasn't given the red carpet treatment he immediately tries to force a release by using media to lay out a sob story about how much the Packers owe him.

Sparkey
07-15-2008, 10:09 AM
If anything, that gap opened wider as Favre suggested the team was lying publicly about its discussions with him, wants to prevent him from playing elsewhere — though he noted he "may not play anywhere"

???? How is that comment a representation of 100% commitment to playing ?

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Look at it from their point of view, anytime you lose someone like Favre, you need to take a good hard look at your team and plan accordingly. You can't just plug someone in to do the job of a HoF QB. I'm willing to be they spent a lot of effort planning accordingly.

Both sides have a legitimate gripe IMO.

The Packers need time to get the plans laid out for the post-Favre era...although personally I feel training camp is plenty of time for that to occur when you have the replacement ready and in place as Green Bay does.

Favre needs time to recover after giving everything he had during the course of the previous season. Calling him repeatedly (which the Packers did) in February and March is pointless. The guy is 38 and needs far more time to recover and determine if he can do it again than someone who is 25.

Neither side really seemed willing to see the other person's viewpoint. If the Packers had seen Favre's side, they wouldn't have come across as uncaring and apathetic to Favre's return. If Favre had seen the Packers side, he wouldn't feel so unwanted.

It is really disappointing as a Packer fan to see breakdowns on both sides contributing to a real mess.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I still can't get over how little effort Favre has put forth in trying to make this work. He's makes one serious phone call about coming back, and when he wasn't given the red carpet treatment he immediately tries to force a release by using media to lay out a sob story about how much the Packers owe him.

well said

run pMc
07-15-2008, 11:09 AM
In one instance, Favre told Van Susteren that “I worked my butt off two years ago to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” adding that he was willing to give up salary to land the talented receiver.

But Favre said Thompson denied publicly that Favre had lobbied to get Moss, which Favre said was not the case. Moss signed with the New England Patriots.

In a second instance, Favre said he once tried to convince Thompson to re-sign Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, two key linemen, but the two got away and signed elsewhere.

In a third case, Favre told Van Susteren he tried to convince Thompson to interview Steve Mariucci, an old friend, for the head coaching job vacated by Mike Sherman. Favre said Thompson ended up hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

I'm sorry, but...this happens all the time in all the sports. Players lobby the coaches & staff to go after other players. The players will directly lobby other players at the Pro Bowl, etc.
Just because he didn't get the players he wanted on his team, he's going to accuse the team of being dishonest? Did I miss where they told him they were going to sign them?
Favre isn't the GM, coach, or salary cap guy. I think the team can listen to him, but I don't think they have to do anything he suggests...it comes off as selfish and short-sighted to me. It's a business, and Favre is a key employee, but hardly the guy who calls the shots. Furthermore, it's the NFL...hardly anything is done with complete honesty...look no further than Spygate.

As much as I like Favre and would like to see something worked out where he could play for GB, he really looks like a wanker to me in all this drama.
[/quote]

HughC
07-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Apparently part two of the interview, a bit more mud will be slung.

In one instance, Favre told Van Susteren that “I worked my butt off two years ago to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” adding that he was willing to give up salary to land the talented receiver.

But Favre said Thompson denied publicly that Favre had lobbied to get Moss, which Favre said was not the case. Moss signed with the New England Patriots.

In a second instance, Favre said he once tried to convince Thompson to re-sign Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, two key linemen, but the two got away and signed elsewhere.

In a third case, Favre told Van Susteren he tried to convince Thompson to interview Steve Mariucci, an old friend, for the head coaching job vacated by Mike Sherman. Favre said Thompson ended up hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

“And none of those had anything to do with me retiring once again but, you know, it’s hard for me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another. And so — and that’s part of the reason for the release,” Favre said of his request to be released by the Packers to pursue other opportunities. “Not only was I told that playing here was not an option, we’re moving on — it’s kind of in their company line, moving on. That’s OK.”

Here's the link to the full JS story. (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=772402)

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Did Thompson ever say that Favre didn't help recruit Moss? Maybe he did, but I get the feeling that Favre's cronies tell him a lot of rumors as if they were fact--and Favre believes them. There's so much rumor out there that what was actually said gets lost.

texaspackerbacker
07-15-2008, 12:53 PM
exactly. I think you nailed it there, Harvey.

Favre is ........ suggestive, maybe a bit gullible, maybe even Not overly bright.

That led him to piddle around before deciding to play after the '06 season; It led him to mess around and actually retire prematurely after the '07 season; And it caused him to start acting weird now.

PackerBlues
07-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Quite a few people have thought all along, and pointed out, that Thompson wanted Favre out from the very start. What I find so funny about this whole situation, is that it seems to validate that very point.

Then there are the people that have complained that when questioned by the media, Favre sent a message that everything was just rumor and there was no news. Yet the Packers organization was not saying anything either. It's a two way street, and Thompson and the rest of the organization also kept the fact that Favre wanted to come back quiet for at least a month before things started to get leaked to the press by those close to Favre. Yet Favre is being called a "Diva" now by complete ass-clowns, because he was forced to go to the media, while Thompson, his ego, and the rest of the organization tried to sweep everything under the rug, hoping that Favre would just give up and go away. Not very smart in my opinion. In fact, had they tried to work with Favre the way that they claim, this situation probably never would have come to a head the way it has.

I did not catch very much of the interview on fox, just what has been shown on ESPN, and what I have read here. The one thing that I agree with Favre 100% on, is that it is completely ridiculous for Thompson to tell Favre that he is welcome to come back to the Packers as a back-up. Who in the fuck does Thompson think he is dealing with? Is this asshole that out of touch with reality? What in the fuck could Rogers have possibly have done in the off-season to warrant a guaranteed start over Favre. Perhaps Thompson was just that impressed with Rogers telling Packer fans to "get on board or shut the hell up".

To hell with Thompson, and screw Aaron Rogers. Neither of them have done a damned thing that would impress me enough to take their side over Brett Favre's, and as far as I am concerned, Thompson should be ridden out of town on a rail for his mismanagement, and I think that Rogers should be traded for whatever could be gotten for him, simply because I am sick of hearing all the whining about "poor Aaron Rogers", who is nothing more, than one more of the many back-ups to Brett Favre.

Thompson needs to end his posturing and his bull shit, and trade Favre to a team that Favre would agree to go to. Thompsons overly large ego started this mess years ago, and it is time for him to pull his head out of his ass and do what is right.

VegasPackFan
07-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Apparently part two of the interview, a bit more mud will be slung.

“And none of those had anything to do with me retiring once again but, you know, it’s hard for me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another. And so — and that’s part of the reason for the release,” Favre said of his request to be released by the Packers to pursue other opportunities. “Not only was I told that playing here was not an option, we’re moving on — it’s kind of in their company line, moving on. That’s OK.”

Here's the link to the full JS story. (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=772402)

So now one of his big gripes is that Thompson didnt allow him to basically dictate personnel moves for the club.

Favre is a player, not the friggin GM.

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Quite a few people have thought all along, and pointed out, that Thompson wanted Favre out from the very start. What I find so funny about this whole situation, is that it seems to validate that very point.

Then there are the people that have complained that when questioned by the media, Favre sent a message that everything was just rumor and there was no news. Yet the Packers organization was not saying anything either. It's a two way street, and Thompson and the rest of the organization also kept the fact that Favre wanted to come back quiet for at least a month before things started to get leaked to the press by those close to Favre. Yet Favre is being called a "Diva" now by complete ass-clowns, because he was forced to go to the media, while Thompson, his ego, and the rest of the organization tried to sweep everything under the rug, hoping that Favre would just give up and go away. Not very smart in my opinion. In fact, had they tried to work with Favre the way that they claim, this situation probably never would have come to a head the way it has.

I did not catch very much of the interview on fox, just what has been shown on ESPN, and what I have read here. The one thing that I agree with Favre 100% on, is that it is completely ridiculous for Thompson to tell Favre that he is welcome to come back to the Packers as a back-up. Who in the fuck does Thompson think he is dealing with? Is this asshole that out of touch with reality? What in the fuck could Rogers have possibly have done in the off-season to warrant a guaranteed start over Favre. Perhaps Thompson was just that impressed with Rogers telling Packer fans to "get on board or shut the hell up".

To hell with Thompson, and screw Aaron Rogers. Neither of them have done a damned thing that would impress me enough to take their side over Brett Favre's, and as far as I am concerned, Thompson should be ridden out of town on a rail for his mismanagement, and I think that Rogers should be traded for whatever could be gotten for him, simply because I am sick of hearing all the whining about "poor Aaron Rogers", who is nothing more, than one more of the many back-ups to Brett Favre.

Thompson needs to end his posturing and his bull shit, and trade Favre to a team that Favre would agree to go to. Thompsons overly large ego started this mess years ago, and it is time for him to pull his head out of his ass and do what is right.

Let me get this straight. So when Favre started dropping hints about maybe returning, but was unable to say if he was even 100% committed, the Packers should have went public? Why? What would they have said?

"Well Brett decided in late March he wanted to come back, then he decided a few days later he didn't want to come back. Now it is mid June, Brett claims he has an itch to play, but he can't fully commit."

Please tell me what exactly that would do? They did Favre a favor by not leaking word of his change of mind back in March. For a team, organization, and QB trying to emerge from Favre's shadow why would you further cast that shadow over them when he couldn't even commit to playing? Would it make Brett commit? Doubtful. Would it put unfair comparisons on Rodgers and possibly lead to a divided locker room, when Favre STILL didn't know if he wanted to come back? Definitely.

Great Plan. :tup:

sharpe1027
07-15-2008, 01:43 PM
It's a two way street, and Thompson and the rest of the organization also kept the fact that Favre wanted to come back quiet for at least a month before things started to get leaked to the press by those close to Favre.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first time Favre indicated that he was certain he wanted to come back was no where near two months ago. I think your time-frame is off.

The rest of your argument kinda falls apart. Would you have expected the Packers to run to the public each time Favre contacted them? Is it sweeping it under the rug to try and hash things out with Favre before making it a huge public display?

George The Animal Steel
07-15-2008, 01:45 PM
he's going about it the wrong way. What happened to honoring your contract and saying, 'Let's work as a team to see if we can get this done?' Why not go about it that way?

Maybe I'm old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract.

George The Animal Steel
07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
he's going about it the wrong way. What happened to honoring your contract and saying, 'Let's work as a team to see if we can get this done?' Why not go about it that way?

Maybe I'm old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract.

Oh wait...who said that? That was favre.