PDA

View Full Version : ryan grant

bobblehead
07-14-2008, 07:36 PM
has anyone heard anything....is he even talking? I think he is probably pissed at brett for the distraction.

MJZiggy
07-14-2008, 07:38 PM
I think Grant could sign a billion dollar contract and dance naked at center field with it and the press wouldn't notice...

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Grant might be waiting for them to let Favre back because he knows he'l face 8 in the box with Arod back there..

Chevelle2
07-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Grant might be waiting for them to let Favre back because he knows he'l face 8 in the box with Arod back there..

False. MM said none of the packages would change with AR.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Doesn't mean they couldn't put 8 in the box and make Arod beat them.... which is the more likely scenario

Chevelle2
07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Doesn't mean they couldn't put 8 in the box and make Arod beat them.... which is the more likely scenario

If we go 4/5 wide, do you think they will put 8 in the box?

Gunakor
07-14-2008, 07:56 PM

False. MM said none of the packages would change with AR.

8 in the box is a defensive package. Ryan Grant plays offense. The 8 in the box is in reference to an opponents defensive package - something MM has no control over. How would he know if none of the opponents defensive packages would change with AR? I'll not-so-boldly GUARANTEE that they'll change.

That said, I don't expect 8 in the box to last very long against us. I expect this to be as balanced an offense as we finished the season out last year.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Do you trust Arod gettin the ball out quickly with 4/5 wide? cuz thats leaving that shit line all on its own blocking

Gunakor
07-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Do you trust Arod gettin the ball out quickly with 4/5 wide? cuz thats leaving that shit line all on its own blocking

It's an average line. One could not help but notice them getting better as the season wore on. And they were good in pass protection all year.

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Good in pass protection due to the case of a HOF QB that knows what hes doing and knows how to throw in a lot of different positions... It will be noticed this season if he's not back there how really good and quick he was at getting that ball away

Gunakor
07-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Good in pass protection due to the case of a HOF QB that knows what hes doing and knows how to throw in a lot of different positions... It will be noticed this season if he's not back there how really good and quick he was at getting that ball away

A lot of the time Favre had 4+ seconds in the pocket. That's enough time. The line did well.

vince
07-14-2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.packerupdate.com/packer_update/2008/07/grant-should-be-signed-shortly.html

GRANT SHOULD BE SIGNED SHORTLY

It may seem like there’s no other news in Green Bay besides Brett Favre, but there is. According to a person familiar with the situation, talks between the team and star running back Ryan Grant are continuing, and for the first time in three months, real progress is being made. “I had my doubts about a deal getting done by the start of training camp, but now I think it’ll happen,” said the source. “[Agent] Alan Herman is beginning to compromise, and let’s be honest, [GM] Ted Thompson can’t afford to have another distraction surrounding the team when vets report in two weeks. I think both men are highly motivated to work things out.”

Grant's unique status - he’s been in the league since 2005 but is still an exclusive rights free agent - has made negotiations tricky. “Under these circumstances, there’s probably no one contract that will make both sides jump for joy,” said the source. “That’s why these talks have dragged on since the middle of April. But I do expect to see Grant on the practice field later this month.” At a time when Packers fans are divided like perhaps never before, that would be terrific news for everybody.

bobblehead
07-14-2008, 08:56 PM
http://www.packerupdate.com/packer_update/2008/07/grant-should-be-signed-shortly.html

GRANT SHOULD BE SIGNED SHORTLY

It may seem like there’s no other news in Green Bay besides Brett Favre, but there is. According to a person familiar with the situation, talks between the team and star running back Ryan Grant are continuing, and for the first time in three months, real progress is being made. “I had my doubts about a deal getting done by the start of training camp, but now I think it’ll happen,” said the source. “[Agent] Alan Herman is beginning to compromise, and let’s be honest, [GM] Ted Thompson can’t afford to have another distraction surrounding the team when vets report in two weeks. I think both men are highly motivated to work things out.”

Grant's unique status - he’s been in the league since 2005 but is still an exclusive rights free agent - has made negotiations tricky. “Under these circumstances, there’s probably no one contract that will make both sides jump for joy,” said the source. “That’s why these talks have dragged on since the middle of April. But I do expect to see Grant on the practice field later this month.” At a time when Packers fans are divided like perhaps never before, that would be terrific news for everybody.

Thanks for the info.....and sticking to ryan grant as we have 132 other BF threads i don't want this one to become 133

Freak Out
07-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Grant not coming to camp sans new deal

But RB's agent hopeful for contract before camp

By Pete Dougherty
Gannett Wisconsin Media

GREEN BAY — The Green Bay Packers haven't negotiated with the agent for halfback Ryan Grant recently, but Grant's agent is hopeful the start of training camp in less than two weeks will push the sides to finish a new deal.

Alan Herman, Grant's agent, said the sides have had substantive talks this offseason but haven't talked for about three weeks, and he's awaiting a counteroffer from team negotiator Russ Ball.

Grant's is an unusual case because though he's only played one year in the NFL, he's entering his fourth season out of college football at age 25.

He almost single-handedly upgraded the team's running game when he emerged from the bottom of the depth chart in the second half of last season, and is looking for some financial security, even though he's three years away from free agency.

Herman has said Grant will not sign the minimum tender of $370,000 for a second-year player and won't report to training camp until he has a long-term contract.

"We've had a fruitful discussion, but it's been kind of quiet for a while," Herman said. "I know people take vacation, and the Brett Favre situation I'm presuming has occupied a lot of their time.

"I'm still optimistic we can get this done in time to get Ryan to training camp."

Herman said both sides have shown a willingness to compromise because of Grant's unusual circumstances. He said the sides have agreed on the likely length of the contract, though he wouldn't divulge it.

However, there's a gap in what the sides think is appropriate compensation.

"We're getting a little close here (to the start of camp)," Herman said. "I'm kind of waiting to hear from them. I know they're a little preoccupied with just a small problem (i.e., Favre)."

Lurker64
07-16-2008, 07:11 PM
At this point there's really no difference between "signing Grant now" and "signing Grant next week", there's really no rush to get the deal done before training camp. I wouldn't be worried yet.

Gunakor
07-16-2008, 07:27 PM
At this point there's really no difference between "signing Grant now" and "signing Grant next week", there's really no rush to get the deal done before training camp. I wouldn't be worried yet.

I think the Packers executives and coaching staff have been a little preoccupied due to certain recent developments anyway. Grant will get his new deal, I'm not worried about that either.

bobblehead
07-16-2008, 08:12 PM

I'm worried. If they haven't gotten it done yet I suspect they aren't quite on the same page. My guess is RG is probably asking about 10 mill more over 5 years than the team is offering. Like he wants 30 and they are offering 20.

MJZiggy
07-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Ok, we got one article from July 14 saying he should be signed shortly and they're working on it and one from July 16 saying they haven't even been talking? Which is it?

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 08:12 AM
A lot of the time Favre had 4+ seconds in the pocket. That's enough time. The line did well.

So what happens when inexperienced ARod has only 2 seconds? It happened enough to Favre last year to scare the hell out of me.

Those claiming the OL did well obviously didn't watch that much Packer football last season. We had to leave RBs and TEs to block far too often because the OL wasn't getting the job done. Overall, they improved as a unit from their dismal performance in 2006, but they still are mediocre at best.

Favre made that group look a lot better than it is.

KYPack
07-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Pro Football Outsiders had the Packers OLine #1 in the league at pass protection. Now a lot of that was due to BF and MM's savvy schemes to get the ball out quick.

But actually, the Packers are a competent pass pro team. The weak link is LG. Colledge can get bull ruched right off the field (eg. Dallas game). That said, pass pro is his strong suit. But Spitz can hang in there, Wells does a decent job and the tackles are the best pass pro combo in the NFL.

Out of the competition at LG, we should get a decent hand in there at this position, we will have a very sound outfit ant blocking for the pass.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Out of the competition at LG, we should get a decent hand in there at this position, we will have a very sound outfit ant blocking for the pass.

I agree that things should continue to improve in 2008. However, let's not forget that Clifton and Tauscher are no longer prime candidates to start 16 games in a season. The potential for the line to get weaker from time to time really exists.

Also, the Packers let a lot of rushers come free on the edges last year because Favre could see them and knew where to go with the ball before the rush got to him...prime example being his record setting TD pass to Jennings. Can Rodgers accomplish that anywhere near as well as Favre? Doubtful...at least as far as 2008 goes. That means you will need to keep more help in the backfield and reduce the options at receiver for Rodgers. That doesn't make an offense more potent, as it helps reduce the potential targets the defense has to cover.

I don't think we are doomed with Rodgers back there. His mobility is something that Favre doesn't have...and will help reduce the rush to some extent on its own. Still, going from a 16 year vet to a guy with no starts under his belt is a HUGE change...especially in an offense predicated on timing and efficiency.

sharpe1027
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Their worst pass protection probably came in the Dallas game, where Dallas was able to get pressure up the middle. Favre couldn't handle it, partly due to the play calling, and partly due to his lack of speed. Favre is one of the best at feeling the pressure shifting slightly to avoid a rusher, but when the rush came straight up the middle, he can't do much anymore because he can't run away from them.

Arod was able to get away from the rush and his running took advantage of the aggressive pass rush when they did not staying in their lanes. Arguably, Dallas didn't game plan for a mobile QB from the Packers, but they are professional players who practice against a fairly mobile QB in Romo everyday. So, I don't think it is fair to entirely discount how effective Arod's mobility was in that game.

I think Grant will do just fine with either QB.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 01:08 PM
So, I don't think it is fair to entirely discount how effective Arod's mobility was in that game.

No one should discount Rodgers mobility. That is clearly his greatest attribute in terms of a comparison with Favre. His mobility certainly was effective in the Dallas game, and still would've been effective even if Dallas gameplanned for Rodgers all week.

However, the point that Rodgers had an advantage because Dallas really had not installed a plan based on HIS strengths is also valid.

sharpe1027
07-17-2008, 01:28 PM
No one should discount Rodgers mobility. That is clearly his greatest attribute in terms of a comparison with Favre. His mobility certainly was effective in the Dallas game, and still would've been effective even if Dallas gameplanned for Rodgers all week.

However, the point that Rodgers had an advantage because Dallas really had not installed a plan based on HIS strengths is also valid.

Yes. My point is simply that Grant should do just fine with either QB, especially with all of the WR and TE threats they have.

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I don't really understand this thread. It seems that Grant has gone out of his way to avoid putting the spotlight on his contract situation. I don't know why he'd be annoyed about the Favre situation garnering this attention.

I would hope the Packers can do two things at once to the point that they can still get Grant signed. They have a bunch of rookies to sign too, for that matter, so if they are completely paralyzed by the Favre situation, that's a problem.

Lastly, despite what Bus Cook says, the Packers can't do a whole lot about Favre until he asks to be reinstated. How time consuming can the situation really be?

sharpe1027
07-17-2008, 01:42 PM
I don't really understand this thread. It seems that Grant has gone out of his way to avoid putting the spotlight on his contract situation. I don't know why he be annoyed about the Favre situation garnering this attention.

I would hope the Packers can do two things at once to the point that they can still get Grant signed. They have a bunch of rookies to sign too for that matter, so if they are completely paralyzed by the Favre situation, that's a problem.

Lastly, despite what Bus Cook says, the Packers can't do a whole lot about Favre until he asks to be reinstated. How time consuming can the situation really be?

Anytime there is a big event like this many companies/organizations have a whole bunch of meetings to talk about it, but that accomplish nothing. I think alot of time is probably being spent in meetings on how to address the situation in the media and possibly contacting Favre and as to come up with a plan if he does ask for reinstatement. They also are probably fielding questions from players and agents alike.