PDA

View Full Version : NAIL IS IN THE COFFIN

Pages : 1 [2]

Chevelle2
07-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Its AR problem. I feel bad for that guy.

pbmax
07-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Actually, I believe Favre has given them leverage, should they choose to use it.

He has said he is not coming back unless he is the starter. The Packers seem to be saying its not that simple. If they sit on his rights, the only option left to him, other than more interviews, is to reinstate.

At that point, the Packers would have to choose whether to call his bluff or not. If they put him on the roster, then he needs to report, which he said he wouldn't do. This is their leverage.

But the Packers would need to be prepared for the mother of all distractions if he did report.

I see a problem with Favre joining the Vikkings...............John David Booty wears #4. What would Favre have to pay to wear his number?

Seriously though, TT does have some leverage here. To release Favre would be foolish for the Pack.

TT and the Packers have ZERO leverage... Favre can make this a pain in the ass as much as he wants too..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8094bd7a&template=with-video&confirm=true

pbmax
07-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Sheep we were talking about this last night, is there a statement on record of T2 or M3 saying backup? All we could find was the need to determine roles.

If you know of the statement, please post it. But walking back a role to be determined is pretty simple.

TT will loosen that statement about being a backup a bit. Brett will come in and win the starting job (surprise) and we get one more shot with Favre under center. (my take)

cpk1994
07-15-2008, 08:08 AM
I see a problem with Favre joining the Vikkings...............John David Booty wears #4. What would Favre have to pay to wear his number?

Seriously though, TT does have some leverage here. To release Favre would be foolish for the Pack.

TT and the Packers have ZERO leverage... Favre can make this a pain in the ass as much as he wants too..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8094bd7a&template=with-video&confirm=trueWrong. The PAckers have ALL the leverage. Favre can't play ANYWHERE without TT letting it happen. Favre's be ego prevents the rest.

F U !!!!Classy respnose as usual from the resident incoherent tool.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 08:10 AM
At that point, the Packers would have to choose whether to call his bluff or not. If they put him on the roster, then he needs to report, which he said he wouldn't do. This is their leverage.

Well, if Favre reinstates, the Packers HAVE to put him on the roster. They don't have a choice in the matter.

However, I agree that the Packers have created a situation that is to their advantage. They won't release Favre...and probably won't trade him either, as no team is going to give up anything of real value for him except for a couple teams in the NFC that Thompson probably doesn't want to trade Favre to. So, Favre either reports to camp or he stays retired.

The choice right now is entirely on Brett Favre.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 08:13 AM
is there a statement on record of T2 or M3 saying backup? All we could find was the need to determine roles.

I haven't seen any comments directly from the Packers claiming that Brett could only return as a backup. However, that could very well be their actual intention given the comments from Favre. I guess Thompson and McCarthy just are smart enough to not publically state their preference at this point.

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 08:23 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8094bd7a&template=with-video&confirm=trueWrong. The PAckers have ALL the leverage. Favre can't play ANYWHERE without TT letting it happen. Favre's be ego prevents the rest.

F U !!!!Classy respnose as usual from the resident incoherent tool.

cpk1994. I've never issued such an intolerant response to any poster here at Packerrats . Your wind just sucks in my sail, and of all people here, you define yourself best as 'a hater' cpk1994.

Your nothing but a silly punk. I toss better value in ass wipe into the toilet than you offer. :D

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I am certain it has been posted on one of the 756 other BF threads and I will not be accused of starting 757!

Interesting are the comments by posters on the first page:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080715/PKR07/807150546/1058/PKR01

E.g. "Sell your tickets" hahahaha!

I know one or two posters here that would fit right in over on that thread!

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 08:26 AM
I am certain it has been posted on one of the 756 other BF threads and I will not be accused of starting 757!

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080715/PKR07/807150546/1058/PKR01

Names Tarlam! ?? Don't lump woodbuck27 into that mess. I want whats best for all concerned. Not just Favre or TT and brass. I think of the Packer fans first man.

There's too much hatred for Ted Thompson on that respose team to be any part of who I am. This is developing into 'a real shitstorm', and TT has to act really fast now and sadly the best he'll do is get Favre back pronto.

Then it just continues. Two men - two very different personality's and ego's.
That would be the very best PR TT could come up with now to satisfy Packer Nation, even if it's a split.

Don't ever imagine Favre ever comes out of this 'the loser' either. He plays poker better than TT because he holds better hands overall and his patience trumps TT's procrastination. :D

Carolina_Packer
07-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Again, why weren't you in favor of granting Javon Walker an unconditional release?

The whole Walker thing was about MONEY. Have we heard Favre mention ANYTHING about money? NO................he just wants to PLAY. Damn, I never thought I'd hear Packer fans complain about a HOF QB just want to play and be REJECTED. Friends/relatives have called.....even BEAR fans, and said what the hell is going on in GB that they don't want Favre. It's really not that complicated.

It's a little complicated when it takes someone so long to make up their minds, and backs out after brief talks of unretirement. The Packers weren't flush with options at QB, so they had to know in or out and plan for Favre not to be there or be left holding the bag if he retired after having enough time (in his book) to decide. If the team is talking about having him back to compete for the starting job, why should Brett be concerned. If he can't beat out Rodgers fair and square then perhaps he is done. Same for Rodgers, but if he can't beat out Favre to start, he should accept being the backup.

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Again, why weren't you in favor of granting Javon Walker an unconditional release?

The whole Walker thing was about MONEY. Have we heard Favre mention ANYTHING about money? NO................he just wants to PLAY. Damn, I never thought I'd hear Packer fans complain about a HOF QB just want to play and be REJECTED. Friends/relatives have called.....even BEAR fans, and said what the hell is going on in GB that they don't want Favre. It's really not that complicated.

It's a little complicated when it takes someone so long to make up their minds, and backs out after brief talks of unretirement. The Packers weren't flush with options at QB, so they had to know in or out and plan for Favre not to be there or be left holding the bag if he retired after having enough time (in his book) to decide. If the team is talking about having him back to compete for the starting job, why should Brett be concerned. If he can't beat out Rodgers fair and square then perhaps he is done. Same for Rodgers, but if he can't beat out Favre to start, he should accept being the backup.

Aaron Rodgers hasn't done one thing to support him beating out Brett Favre.

The issue is the Packer brass want Favre to disappear and he won't. He's Brett Favre.

GBRulz
07-15-2008, 08:48 AM
I hate to break it to you Merlin, buit they have made all OTA's this year so your argument is garbage.[/quote]

Not that it really matters, but no they didn't. I was there for four practices this year, only saw Al at one of them. He wasn't there at all for the first week.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 08:49 AM
It's a little complicated when it takes someone so long to make up their minds, and backs out after brief talks of unretirement. The Packers weren't flush with options at QB, so they had to know in or out and plan for Favre not to be there or be left holding the bag if he retired after having enough time (in his book) to decide.

I can't agree with this statement.

First, it isn't complicated at all. The Packers likely did put pressure on Favre to make a decision...so Favre made the only decision he could in March. I don't necessarily fault Green Bay for pressing Favre on the issue, but they can't sit back now and plead ignorance.

If you were going to pressure Favre to make a decision, the kind of scenario we are currently witnessing was certainly going to be a logical end game. Favre has earned the right to go out on HIS terms, at least IMO. Thompson, a guy who never had that right as a player and is so open about it publically (when he isn't open about anything else) that you can tell it eats him up day and night, apparently doesn't understand that.

If the Packers are so confident about Rodgers, then pressuring Favre wasn't neccessary. If Favre came back, they had 2 great QBs. If Favre didn't come back, they had a guy ready who has been groomed and made ready. The position wasn't at all lacking in options, as you suggest. It would've been fine either way.

If the team is talking about having him back to compete for the starting job, why should Brett be concerned.

Because he is a HOF QB who is coming off an MVP caliber season. Why the hell should he have to prove ANYTHING?

If you were an MVP worker at your company coming off a great year and sparkling review, and they decided to open up your job to competition with a recent college grad with great potential but little proven capability, you'd be a little pissed off. Sure, the company has the right to do whatever they want...but you also have the right to your own displeasure and frustration. That is precisely where Favre is right now.

If he can't beat out Rodgers fair and square then perhaps he is done.

That is just a dumb comment. After all Favre has given the organization...and what he accomplished LAST SEASON...he shouldn't have to sit here and prove himself as being better than a kid with no NFL starts on his resume.

What the Packers are doing to Favre is being noticed by every player and future player in the league. The Packers are getting a black eye right now because of their lack of loyalty to Favre...even if their decision to "move on" is a practical one. It will only make it more difficult for the Packers to acquire free agent talent.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 08:52 AM
BTW

I am so fucking tired of people harping on Favre for missing the OTAs. That is a load of crock. OTAs for a guy like Favre are virtually meaningless.

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 08:54 AM
It's a little complicated when it takes someone so long to make up their minds, and backs out after brief talks of unretirement. The Packers weren't flush with options at QB, so they had to know in or out and plan for Favre not to be there or be left holding the bag if he retired after having enough time (in his book) to decide.

First, it isn't complicated at all. The Packers likely did put pressure on Favre to make a decision...so Favre made the only decision he could in March. I don't necessarily fault Green Bay for pressing Favre on the issue, but they can't sit back now and plead ignorance.

If you were going to pressure Favre to make a decision, the kind of scenario we are currently witnessing was certainly going to be a logical end game. Favre has earned the right to go out on HIS terms, at least IMO. Thompson, a guy who never had that right as a player and is so open about it publically (when he isn't open about anything else) that you can tell it eats him up day and night, apparently doesn't understand that.

If the Packers are so confident about Rodgers, then pressuring Favre wasn't neccessary. If Favre came back, they had 2 great QBs. If Favre didn't come back, they had a guy ready who has been groomed and made ready. The position wasn't at all lacking in options, as you suggest. It would've been fine either way.

If the team is talking about having him back to compete for the starting job, why should Brett be concerned.

Because he is a HOF QB who is coming off an MVP caliber season. Why the hell should he have to prove ANYTHING?

If you were an MVP worker at your company coming off a great year and sparkling review, and they decided to open up your job to competition with a recent college grad with great potential but little proven capability, you'd be a little pissed off. Sure, the company has the right to do whatever they want...but you also have the right to your own displeasure and frustration. That is precisely where Favre is right now.

That is just a dumb comment. After all Favre has given the organization...and what he accomplished LAST SEASON...he shouldn't have to sit here and prove himself as being better than a kid with no NFL starts on his resume.

What the Packers are doing to Favre is being noticed by every player and future player in the league. The Packers are getting a black eye right now because of their lack of loyalty to Favre...even if their decision to "move on" is a practical one. It will only make it more difficult for the Packers to acquire free agent talent.

Excellent post and 'nail in the coffin' argument The Leaper .

pbmax
07-15-2008, 08:58 AM
This is clearly still a sore spot with him. But as was pointed out before, Brett is not the GM and its not his call. I do credit him with not making a huge public stink outside of the one Moss rant. But silence in this case doesn't mean he at peace.

He still has the energy to backseat GM but not the commitment to come to offseason training. Another sign he really isn't in this for the right reasons. He's going Marino on the team.

Favre's just seems bitter with Thompson for not allowing him to play G.M. Same thing happened in Chicago with Mike Jordan at the end. Kind of funny since the Packers would have had a real hard time signing Rivera and Wahle. (Rivera would have been a bad re-signing since he's proven over the hill since then.) Anybody sad we didn't hire Mooch?

In the transcript, Favre expressed frustration with three incidents in the recent Packers past involving Thompson.

In one instance, Favre told Van Susteren that “I worked my butt off two years ago to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” adding that he was willing to give up salary to land the talented receiver.

But Favre said Thompson denied publicly that Favre had lobbied to get Moss, which Favre said was not the case. Moss signed with the New England Patriots.

In a second instance, Favre said he once tried to convince Thompson to re-sign Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, two key linemen, but the two got away and signed elsewhere.

In a third case, Favre told Van Susteren he tried to convince Thompson to interview Steve Mariucci, an old friend, for the head coaching job vacated by Mike Sherman. Favre said Thompson ended up hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

Chevelle2
07-15-2008, 09:01 AM
"going Marino on the team"

For those younger, what did Marino do?

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 09:04 AM
This is clearly still a sore spot with him. But as was pointed out before, Brett is not the GM and its not his call. I do credit him with not making a huge public stink outside of the one Moss rant. But silence in this case doesn't mean he at peace.

He still has the energy to backseat GM but not the commitment to come to offseason training. Another sign he really isn't in this for the right reasons. He's going Marino on the team.

Favre's just seems bitter with Thompson for not allowing him to play G.M. Same thing happened in Chicago with Mike Jordan at the end. Kind of funny since the Packers would have had a real hard time signing Rivera and Wahle. (Rivera would have been a bad re-signing since he's proven over the hill since then.) Anybody sad we didn't hire Mooch?

In the transcript, Favre expressed frustration with three incidents in the recent Packers past involving Thompson.

In one instance, Favre told Van Susteren that “I worked my butt off two years ago to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” adding that he was willing to give up salary to land the talented receiver.

But Favre said Thompson denied publicly that Favre had lobbied to get Moss, which Favre said was not the case. Moss signed with the New England Patriots.

In a second instance, Favre said he once tried to convince Thompson to re-sign Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, two key linemen, but the two got away and signed elsewhere.

In a third case, Favre told Van Susteren he tried to convince Thompson to interview Steve Mariucci, an old friend, for the head coaching job vacated by Mike Sherman. Favre said Thompson ended up hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

I see the strain between Favre and Ted Thompson as too obvious. Of course all that is just played out as some undercurrent, but it's a huge factor in today.

Too bad for Ted Thompson as he can't win. Favre outplayed him and we'll all see this sooner or later.

I feel badly for TT. He's just pushed where he's shoved.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 09:05 AM
This is clearly still a sore spot with him. But as was pointed out before, Brett is not the GM and its not his call.

I agree. He looks like an idiot getting all frustrated over Thompson ignoring his suggestions. Thompson's record the last 4 years have been incredibly solid and there should be no question regarding Thompson's desire and ability to improve the Packer roster from top to bottom.

Even if Favre was frustrated, he should be able to sit back at this point and realize that Thompson has a far better understanding of how to run a team than he does.

cpk1994
07-15-2008, 09:07 AM
I hate to break it to you Merlin, buit they have made all OTA's this year so your argument is garbage.

Not that it really matters, but no they didn't. I was there for four practices this year, only saw Al at one of them. He wasn't there at all for the first week.[/quote]But Charles was, I guess that was who I was thinking of and just lumped Al in with him. This is what happens when you deal with Merlin and Woody. You become just a dumb as they are.

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 09:08 AM
This is clearly still a sore spot with him. But as was pointed out before, Brett is not the GM and its not his call.

I agree. He looks like an idiot getting all frustrated over Thompson ignoring his suggestions. Thompson's record the last 4 years have been incredibly solid and there should be no question regarding Thompson's desire and ability to improve the Packer roster from top to bottom.

Even if Favre was frustrated, he should be able to sit back at this point and realize that Thompson has a far better understanding of how to run a team than he does.

Your certainly correct. TT just moves too slow to meet Favre's timeline.

pbmax
07-15-2008, 09:08 AM
This argument is a non-starter. Even Favre says McCarthy told him he could have asked for more time in the Spring. He didn't mention he wanted until training camp until June, after his "retirement".

How is it possible that Favre, who has withstood tremendous pressure and scrutiny in his career, suddenly folds like a card table on one of the most important issues of his career? The team has said a decision before Free Agency would be nice. Before the draft would be OK. Our shrinking violet of a QB couldn't pipe up that he needed more time?

His answer was that he couldn't commit 100%. McCarthy answered in the only practicable way, take a few more days and make sure you're sure.

And he still didn't ask for more time. He started to waffle less than one month after his retirement but never asked back. He didn't ask for anything until the Packers told him is was late to reinstall him over Rodgers prior to training camp.

Then he asked to be released. These are not the actions of a man wronged, these are the actions of a man who has had his agent testing the waters and has been gunning for his release since March.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Too bad for Ted Thompson as he can't win. Favre outplayed him and we'll all see this sooner or later.

I can't agree with that.

Thompson can easily win if he goes on to win a Super Bowl with Rodgers or Brohm in a few years. He can also lose if Rodgers turns out to be a dud. However, he can still go either way at this point.

Favre is the one who can't win. The guy has been pushed away from the team where he is a legend, and has no real chance of playing anywhere else either...even though he wants to.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 09:12 AM
This argument is a non-starter. Even Favre says McCarthy told him he could have asked for more time in the Spring. He didn't mention he wanted until training camp until June, after his "retirement".

What does "more time" mean? If the Packers wanted a decision by the draft...which is what I'm assuming they wanted...then Favre felt he would not have the opportunity to make a real decision.

Who cares if McCarthy offered him a few more weeks to decide? The bottom line is that the Packers clearly were putting a DEADLINE on Favre. Putting a deadline on a 38 year old QB legend coming off an MVP caliber season when you have his replacement already waiting in the wings regardless of Favre's decision is a bad idea if you ask me.

pbmax
07-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Favre was 13-3 last year with Thompson's timeline. No other GM got him there that fast. Favre has no qualifications to be GM. Moss, Wahle and Riveria won zero Super Bowls after they moved.

If your argument comes down to who is the better GM, the answer is that Thompson has gotten his job done better than Brett.

Your certainly correct. TT just moves too slow to meet Favre's timeline.

GBRulz
07-15-2008, 09:13 AM
[/quote]But Charles was, I guess that was who I was thinking of and just lumped Al in with him. This is what happens when you deal with Merlin and Woody. You become just a dumb as they are.[/quote]

Wouldn't it be nice if who did and didn't attend mini-camp this year was our biggest off-season problem?? :wink:

RIPackerFan
07-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Sorry - but Favre can make this season a fiasco.

He could come to camp (as 2nd string) - and cause a serious media circus at camp.

There is no doubt in my mind - if he were to come to camp - there would be a divided lockerroom - more pressure on Rogers - fans chanting Favre every day in practice - and overall distractions that will cause this team to self-destruct.

He knows this - which is why he is asking for his release. There is no way this ends up nice if he comes to camp and TT/MM don't intend on starting him. Even if Brett does everything nicely - teammates/fans will be going crazy and it doesn't end well.

pbmax
07-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Marino was always more demonstrative on the field than Favre when it came to communicating frustration with teammates. At the end of his career, it seemed he was always glaring at someone after a play failed.

At the end of his tenure, there was tension with his coach/GM (Jimmy Johnson) and the direction of the team (more running, less wide open).

By the end of Johnson's tenure and into Wannestat's, the news out of Miami seemed to be all about when the union of team and Marino would break apart. He seemed separate from the rest of the team and frustrated.

Favre has different complaints and he has rarely shown up teammates. But the public airing of grievances, QB vs. team is reminiscent of Marino's end.

The end of Joe Montana's tenure in San Fran was equally fraught, but it was a shorter time frame and one of the seasons Montana was out of the picture after an injury. Before it was public every day, they traded him to the Chiefs.

"going Marino on the team"

For those younger, what did Marino do?

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I hate to break it to you Merlin, buit they have made all OTA's this year so your argument is garbage.

Not that it really matters, but no they didn't. I was there for four practices this year, only saw Al at one of them. He wasn't there at all for the first week.But Charles was, I guess that was who I was thinking of and just lumped Al in with him. This is what happens when you deal with Merlin and Woody. You become just a dumb as they are.

YOUR NOT ONLY A PUNK WITH A BAD ASS WAY YOUR AN ARROGANT FOOL cpk1994.

Merlin and I would rip you a new one in a debate JUNIOR.

pbmax
07-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Shouldn't working out and being physically prepared be more important to an older player than a younger one?

Besides Favre working out with a High School football team, how has he prepared to play? Has he done anything to staunch late season slides? Not even Favre at 39 can turn it on and off. He maybe more physically prepared than the young guys, we don't know. But the evidence of a lower level of play late in the season (mostly one week up another down) makes me doubt it.

BTW

I am so fucking tired of people harping on Favre for missing the OTAs. That is a load of crock. OTAs for a guy like Favre are virtually meaningless.

pbmax
07-15-2008, 09:28 AM
No one said deadline. No one said we HAVE to know. No one said if you don't decide we will retire your jersey and put you on the inactive list.

Before FA would be great, before the draft would be good. If he needed more time, even McCarthy wondered why he didn't ask!

There are two separate issues here. Why does it take this long to decide? Did he just want to miss the minicamps?

The second is why would Favre feel pressure on this one issue when it has failed to move him on other occasions this offseason. You can say he blinked, I think it suited his purpose.

What does "more time" mean? If the Packers wanted a decision by the draft...which is what I'm assuming they wanted...then Favre felt he would not have the opportunity to make a real decision.

Who cares if McCarthy offered him a few more weeks to decide? The bottom line is that the Packers clearly were putting a DEADLINE on Favre. Putting a deadline on a 38 year old QB legend coming off an MVP caliber season when you have his replacement already waiting in the wings regardless of Favre's decision is a bad idea if you ask me.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Shouldn't working out and being physically prepared be more important to an older player than a younger one?

C'mon Max. OTAs have very little to do with being physically prepared to play...and you damn well know it. Mentally prepared, yes. Physically prepared, NO!

They aren't two-a-days designed to get people into playing shape. They are out there practicing in shorts without pads. It is far more about drilling fundamentals about the system into the heads of the young guys who need to learn it...which obviously is not true of Favre.

Peyton Manning is going to miss all of training camp and preseason this year...DAMN!!! I guess the Colts are screwed. How the fuck is Manning ever going to be able to be ready to play???

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Leaper, I think you are right. But the Favre camp started a propaganda war that forces management to react.

All Brett had to do was unretire. Tell TT and Goodell he was back on the roster. Instead, it has turned into a pissing contest.

motife
07-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Favre is such a complete idiot.

If you want to play, stop dithering, unretire and STFU.

Who cares about your long winded explanations?

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 09:55 AM

If you want to play, stop dithering, unretire and STFU.

Who cares about your long winded explanations?

I would agree with that. If he wants to play, ask for reinstatement and come to play. If Favre is in camp, there is no way in hell that Rodgers is named the starter on week one. I can't see ANY coach or GM that would play Rodgers over Favre at this point...unless you held a gun to their head.

I wish Greta would ask him that question...why not just shut up, ask for reinstatement, and go to camp...but she won't.

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 09:58 AM

No, he's a really emotional Southern Gentleman that has been terribley let down by his advisors. And, they are continuing to let him down, IMHO.

Somebody should have told BF back in February to keep his options open by stating he would return. Nobody seems to have.

Somebody leaked he was being shopped.

Somebody leaked he was having second thoughts.

Somebody leaked he had contact to Packer people on at least 3 different occsaions.

Somebody told him to sue for a release, publicly.

Somebody let him be interviewed last night, further widening the division.

Brett is not the idiot. He is following advice. Oh, no doubt he want to play, but he really let his emotions dictate every little step. His people should have been protecting his legacy more.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 09:59 AM
There is no way this ends up nice if he comes to camp and TT/MM don't intend on starting him. Even if Brett does everything nicely - teammates/fans will be going crazy and it doesn't end well.

I think there is truth in this comment. If Favre truly feels the Packers don't want him (and he does) then showing up at camp and causing a ruckus...that ain't Favre's deal. He just wants to play...he doesn't want the circus act.

packers11
07-15-2008, 10:01 AM
pft.com

FAVRE SLAMS THOMPSON IN PART TWO OF INTERVIEW
Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2008, 10:52 a.m.
Packers G.M. Ted Thompson might have been feeling neglected while he watched on Monday night Part One of the Brett Favre interview. After all, it was coach Mike McCarthy and not Thompson who was mentioned most often by Brett, primarily with respect to the perceived effort to force him to decide whether to retire in March and then with respect to the attempt to persuade him not to press for a chance to return with another team in June.

But Thompson gets his share of attention, in Part Two.

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Favre slams Thompson in the segment that will air Tuesday night on Fox News, and Favre points to three incidents that caused him to not trust Thompson.

First was Favre’s desire that the team add receiver Randy Moss in 2007. We reported, numerous times, that Favre was actively lobbying the team to acquire Moss after two failed seasons with the Raiders. There was also a rumor that the team’s failure to try to land the star receiver, who revived his career in a big way with the Patriots last season, prompted Favre to make noise about leaving the team. Though it’s still unclear whether the latter proposition is accurate, it’s now obvious that Favre wanted Moss — and that Favre didn’t appreciate Thompson’s decision not to be honest about that fact with the public.

“I worked my butt off . . . to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” Favre told Fox News.

Second, Favre says he tried to get Thompson to re-sign guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, both of whom left via free agency.

Third, Favre pushed hard for Thompson to consider hiring former 49ers and Lions coach Steve Mariucci, but Thompson rebuffed Brett, hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

“[N]one of those had anything to do with me retiring once again,” Favre says, “but, you know, it’s hard for me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another. And so — and that’s part of the reason for the [request for a] release.”

So Favre didn’t retire from the Packers because of mistrust for Thompson, but now Favre wants out in part because he doesn’t trust Thompson.

But, Brett, didn’t you say you want out because the Packers told you that they don’t want you to play?

More importantly, Brett, when did you become the quarterback/General Manager of the Packers?

Maybe we finally understand why Favre kept quiet for so long on this topic. Now that he’s opening his mouth, he’s sounding like an idiot.

Regarding this apparent effort to smear Thompson by dredging up outdated and irrelevant pisses and/or moans, Favre needs to realize that he hasn’t always been truthful, either. On July 2, for example, he said that the talk of his desire to return is “rumor” and that there’s “[n]o reason for it.”

So before Brett says “you know, it’s hard for me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another,” Favre should ask “this guy” in the mirror whether he has been doing the very same thing.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Brett is not the idiot. He is following advice. Oh, no doubt he want to play, but he really let his emotions dictate every little step. His people should have been protecting his legacy more.

True. Brett's advisors and family don't seem to be real bright when it comes to how to handle this stuff.

However, that is on Brett. He is responsible for acquiring good talent to run his business interests...especially when he clearly isn't bright enough to do so himself.

motife
07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Have you ever listened to a Brett Favre press conference, even in the best of times?

It's excruciating.

He is so long winded it's torture to listen to him. And in sort of a mock very serious monotone. McCarthy said once a 5 minute call to Favre turns into 3 hours.

Favre's long winded, un-focussed, irrelevant going nowhere BS does not work well with no-nonsense guys like Ted or Mike McCarthy. One of the reasons Favre has played well under McCarthy is he is not a "Favre enabler".

I am so sick of Favre leaving the Packer's hanging with his maddening indecision and his constant blather. Using his mom, his brother, his wife, Greta van Susteren to communicate long irrelevancies when all ANYONE wants to know is are you retired or arent you?

sharpe1027
07-15-2008, 10:11 AM
“I worked my butt off . . . to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” Favre told Fox News.
More importantly, Brett, when did you become the quarterback/General Manager of the Packers?

Favre is not the GM, even so, it wasn't like TT didn't try for Moss, the Pats just out-smarted him. Brett needs to shutup and play.

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 10:20 AM
pft.com

Packers G.M. Ted Thompson might have been feeling neglected while he watched on Monday night Part One of the Brett Favre interview. After all, it was coach Mike McCarthy and not Thompson who was mentioned most often by Brett, primarily with respect to the perceived effort to force him to decide whether to retire in March and then with respect to the attempt to persuade him not to press for a chance to return with another team in June.

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Favre slams Thompson in the segment that will air Tuesday night on Fox News, and Favre points to three incidents that caused him to not trust Thompson.

First was Favre’s desire that the team add receiver Randy Moss in 2007. We reported, numerous times, that Favre was actively lobbying the team to acquire Moss after two failed seasons with the Raiders. There was also a rumor that the team’s failure to try to land the star receiver, who revived his career in a big way with the Patriots last season, prompted Favre to make noise about leaving the team. Though it’s still unclear whether the latter proposition is accurate, it’s now obvious that Favre wanted Moss — and that Favre didn’t appreciate Thompson’s decision not to be honest about that fact with the public.

Second, Favre says he tried to get Thompson to re-sign guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, both of whom left via free agency.

Third, Favre pushed hard for Thompson to consider hiring former 49ers and Lions coach Steve Mariucci, but Thompson rebuffed Brett, hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

“[N]one of those had anything to do with me retiring once again,” Favre says, “but, you know, it’s hard for me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another. And so — and that’s part of the reason for the [request for a] release.”

So Favre didn’t retire from the Packers because of mistrust for Thompson, but now Favre wants out in part because he doesn’t trust Thompson.

But, Brett, didn’t you say you want out because the Packers told you that they don’t want you to play?

Maybe we finally understand why Favre kept quiet for so long on this topic. Now that he’s opening his mouth, he’s sounding like an idiot.

Regarding this apparent effort to smear Thompson by dredging up outdated and irrelevant pisses and/or moans, Favre needs to realize that he hasn’t always been truthful, either. On July 2, for example, he said that the talk of his desire to return is “rumor” and that there’s “[n]o reason for it.”

So before Brett says “you know, it’s hard for me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another,” Favre should ask “this guy” in the mirror whether he has been doing the very same thing.

Brett needs to STFU. You're not the GM. Looks real smart to bitch about moves that weren't made when the team was 13-3 last year, they have a very young team, and one of the emerging coaches in the league.

Damn, McCarthy sucks. Is there anyone that would rather have Mooch over MM?

It's apparent what Brett wants. He wants things HIS way. He wants to be coddled and surrounded by people who make it easier on him.

PackerTimer
07-15-2008, 10:33 AM
I think he comes off really whiney in those excerpts and rather like a petulant kid who didn't get his way.

I also did not like how he kept bringing up the back up thing in the first part. TT never said that and everybody knows it. What he said was taken way out of context and he cleared it up. It's just another example of the half-truths and deceptions that are out there. Unlike some, I don't see those half-truths as coming from the Packers. I think he's a great QB and a genuinely good guy who is taking a completely horrible position. He messed up. He should just own up to it and either show up or shut up.

Sparkey
07-15-2008, 10:34 AM
pft.com

Wow,

Reading all this reminds me of a kid that doesn't get what he wants and starts to pout and whine and scream until he gets his way. Thank goodness that MM and TT are good "parents" and wont bow down to the pressure.

Who the hell does Favre think he is ?

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Who the hell does Favre think he is ?

Er, Brett Favre?

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 10:45 AM
After last night, and the speculation about what is said tonight, I think Brett realizes his career, at least in Green Bay is finished. He is simply putting together his laundry list of complaints and letting them rip. Foolish pride, and bitterness.

Seriously, sign Marco and Wahle? Where were the Packers going to get that kind of money at the time? Brett cough up some of the cash he was making? How did Dallas do with Riveria? Oh he injured his back, played for a half of season and then retired. Wahle? Cut midway through his contract in Carolina.

Mooch? No other team has hired him as of yet, and the last thing the GM needs to here is his QB giving him advice who should be the new coach. Maybe Favre realized how much Sherman needed help running the franchise, and he was just cutting the new GM off at the pass, who knows.

Favre is really losing this battle with the media. I don't think any of us here question his ability to still play the game at a high level, it is one of the things that makes this a very difficult situation for a lot of us fans, but this bickering, and "he said, he said " business is getting ugly and pointless. It is pretty simple trust the fact that the GM is going to pay your salary and you have absolutely nothing else to worry about. Thompson has done a fine job building this roster, I wonder if Favre can even recognize that.

At the same time all these little quotes from the interview that are released ahead of time are taken out of context, and are slanted at making Favre look like a spiteful old man.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:47 AM
However, I agree that the Packers have created a situation that is to their advantage. They won't release Favre...and probably won't trade him either, as no team is going to give up anything of real value for him except for a couple teams in the NFC that Thompson

Just a minor quibble: you've said here and in the past that the Packers need to get a good deal in order to make a trade, you said a first rounder before. No way. The Packers would and should take a conditional 2020 7th rounder if some AFC team will have him. They first and foremost have to unload their problem. Unfortunately, according to John Clayton, there are no AFC teams with any interest.

Merlin
07-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Not a one of us knows what Ted Thompson told Brett. I agree that Favre is going a bit out there with these comments, but Thompson also left some questionable comments out there. Since I don't know what Favre was told about any of these issues by Thompson, I can only make one assumption: Somewhere in the middle is the truth. Favre is partially right and Thompson is partially right. What we are hearing from both are one sided opinions. If you are bashing Favre over his comments or bashing Thompson over his comments then I am afraid you really don't understand disputes very well. I think Thompson's choice of words to date has been very telling, I think Favre's choice of words are very telling. There is something(s) in there that we don't know about and neither one of them is going to drop the bomb on the other unless it gets downright ugly.

As I aid before, if Thompson & Favre can come to middle ground, which I still see as a possibility, then Favre will be in camp. If they cannot then Thompson & Favre need to part ways. Notice I didn't say the Packers and Favre. If the Packers are greater then Favre, they are certainly greater than Thompson. It may be an issue where someone above Thompson has to step in although I don't see that happening. It's fairly clear to me that McCarthy is caught in the middle and has to maintain an alliance with Thompson, which he should. But it would be interesting to hear McCarthy "unplugged" so to speak about everything.

Let's see if the "Packers" and by that I mean Thompson, release anything today or tomorrow after the 2nd part of the interview. I would think Thompson would be trying very hard to speak with Brett if his intentions were to "protect his legacy" and to "welcome him back", which I seriously doubt they are....Stay tuned...

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:50 AM
After last night,

you are on my permanent shit list. your performance last night was disgraceful - questioning my manhood and JustinHarrel's intelligence. Not unlike Brett Favre's pathetic display last night, I think you have now soiled your nest here at packerrats. Leave.

motife
07-15-2008, 10:50 AM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/SIGN/98268~Caution-Drama-Queen-Just-Ahead-Posters.jpg

http://www.570news.com/images/FEEDS/07/13/s071339A.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Favre is really losing this battle with the media. I don't think any of us here question his ability to still play the game

I think he also is ruining his chances with other teams.

Ya, Favre has a chance of reappearing in 2008 at the same high level he performed in 2007. But GMs are first of all very risk averse. Favre is 39 years old, that is one risk factor, but also he has shown himself to be a little unbalanced this offseason. If I'm a GM, I'm wondering where his head is at.

cpk1994
07-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Favre is really losing this battle with the media. You don't watch ESPN, do you? I have never seen so much ass-kissing in my life.

Gunakor
07-15-2008, 11:45 AM

I can't agree with that.

Thompson can easily win if he goes on to win a Super Bowl with Rodgers or Brohm in a few years. He can also lose if Rodgers turns out to be a dud. However, he can still go either way at this point.

Favre is the one who can't win. The guy has been pushed away from the team where he is a legend, and has no real chance of playing anywhere else either...even though he wants to.

Favre wasn't pushed away from the team that made him a legend. He walked away on his own. And M3 filled the starting QB position that he vacated, after giving Favre ample opportunity to think about it. If Favre had until FA and the draft to make a decision, then he made his decision a month and a half earlier than he had to. So he can't claim that he was pressured into making a decision. And the notion that he should be allowed until TC to make a decision is absolutely obsurd. Suppose Green Bay had allowed that, and prepared for the season with Favre at QB assuming he'd come back, but then in late July Favre said he couldn't do it. Then Green Bay has ONE MONTH to prepare for the new season with a brand new starting QB. That's not fair to the Packers, is it? Hindsight is wonderful, and if we had known he'd want to come back way back in March then I'm sure we'd have allowed Brett all the time he needed. But we didn't have the luxury of hindsight back in March. There was no telling what his decision would have been. So what was TT supposed to do?

Here's the bottom line. Aaron Rodgers has been 100% committed to being the starting QB since March, and the team has been 100% committed to Aaron Rodgers. Favre has not been 100% committed, so the team could not commit 100% to him. And yes, enough work has been done over the last couple months that it IS too late to just welcome him back as the starter with no strings attached. It's not too late to welcome him back as the starter, but it's only fair to make him compete for that job with the person who actually IS the starter. Right now, that person is Aaron Rodgers. If Favre is really a top 5 QB in the league then he should not have any problems beating out a guy who hasn't started a game yet for the starting job. So I really don't see what the problem is here. If Favre won that competiton then yes I'd welcome him back and cheer him on just as I always have. So would MM and TT and the entire Packer Nation. But I want to see that competition first.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Then Green Bay has ONE MONTH to prepare for the new season with a brand new starting QB. That's not fair to the Packers, is it?

So is it equally fair to give a guy who has given his all to your team for 16 years roughly the same amount of time to make a career ending decision?

The Packers already had plan B...his name is Aaron Rodgers. He already knows the system. He already knows the players. One month is PLENTY of time for him to get up to speed. Numerous QBs have made due with a lot less with success.

I could see your argument if Green Bay had no one immediately available on the roster to replace Favre...but that was not the case.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
And yes, enough work has been done over the last couple months that it IS too late to just welcome him back as the starter with no strings attached.

Like what? Having a few practices in shorts? Holding a few meetings?

Peyton Manning is missing an entire preseason. I'm guessing it won't slow the Colts down one bit. Care to wager?

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 12:26 PM
And yes, enough work has been done over the last couple months that it IS too late to just welcome him back as the starter with no strings attached.

Peyton Manning is missing an entire preseason. I'm guessing it won't slow the Colts down one bit. Care to wager?

The Leaper!!! YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!... ya, I guess the Colts should move on with Sorgi now that Manning cant play for 6 weeks

BallHawk
07-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Haven't been around much, but here's my take on the situation.
----------

If Brett just said "You know, I thought I was ready to retire, but I was wrong. If the Packers would be in a position to let me compete for a job, I would be willing to do that. If not, maybe we could work something out where I play for another team."

If he said that this situation wouldn't be the bombshell it is now.

Brett is being confrontational for no good reason. Coming out with these claims about TT not doing what he says are laughable. Does Brett think he should have a major influence on personel decisions? Favre is friends with Mooch, does that mean he should be hired as coach? Re-sign Wahle and Rivera. Looking at what happened to those two players after they left Green Bay, TT made the right decision.

IMO, deep down, Brett is angry at himself for making this decision to retire early. He realizes that he didn't make the right choice. But instead of being diplomatic about it he's going around making accusations and smears as a way to comfort himself into that it isn't his fault.

I love Brett, he is one of the greatest players the NFL has even seen. And that's why it pains me so to see this charade keep on going. I thought he had the will power to be one of the few guys to walk away from the game on their own accord. But he, somewhat understandably, doesn't have it. Ok, I accept that, but he's handled this in completely the wrong way. TT hasn't handled it as well as he could of.

Through all of this, Aaron Rodgers is the one looking like the gentleman. A-Rod is saying all the right things, or rather, not saying much about it all. Aaron is talking about the team, the season, what HE can do to help the team. That's what you want out of a QB.

I don't think we'll see Brett in a Green Bay uniform again. Whether we see him in another NFL uniform, I think it's more than likely he'll play somewhere else. If TT holds Brett in Green Bay against his will it would be the biggest mistake he can make. Don't try and mold Brett's legacy, let Brett mold it himself. He's being doing it since September of 1992. If Brett desires to play for another team, let him. Whether it be through release or trade, let Brett do what he pleases. He's the main character in this play, not TT.

This is an ugly event for both Brett and the Packers orginization. I sincerely hope this can be cleaned up quickly and as painlessly as possible, for both parties involved.

bobblehead
07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Favre is really losing this battle with the media. I don't think any of us here question his ability to still play the game

Ya, Favre has a chance of reappearing in 2008 at the same high level he performed in 2007. But GMs are first of all very risk averse. Favre is 39 years old, that is one risk factor, but also he has shown himself to be a little unbalanced this offseason. If I'm a GM, I'm wondering where his head is at.

I disagree, GM's and fans always think they are ONE PLAYER AWAY and it is often a QB. If we shop him we will get something for him. I wouldn't even be shocked if Vick gets another chance.

dissident94
07-15-2008, 12:49 PM
you guys are putting way too much in offseason work. A few months of work. Not a big deal.
People have no concept of how bad we could possibly be without Favre. Just look at Miami after Marino left.

Have a great QB doesn't happen in the offseason

cpk1994
07-15-2008, 12:55 PM
you guys are putting way too much in offseason work. A few months of work. Not a big deal.
People have no concept of how bad we could possibly be without Favre. Just look at Miami after Marino left.

Have a great QB doesn't happen in the offseasonBut they could possibly be very good too. Look at Steve Young and the 49ers. That works both ways.

mngolf19
07-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Only way a trade happens is if a contender has their QB go down in preseason. Could happen. Otherwise the limited number of teams that have interest in him and could take him salary wise and are competitive this year is very few. And those teams would wait for the situation to get worse (Brett showing up at camp)

Carolina_Packer
07-15-2008, 12:57 PM

Leaper, what are those terms? Are they retirement March 6th, reconsideration of retirement at the end of March? Re-re-consideration of having considered unretirement? So, which is it? You give the organization the OK to press Favre for an answer, but then you give Brett wide lattitude on his time-table for possible return. He did kick the tires on possibly returning.

If the Packers are so confident about Rodgers, then pressuring Favre wasn't neccessary. In your previous statement, you said it was OK for management to press Favre for an answer. If Favre came back, they had 2 great QBs. If Favre didn't come back, they had a guy ready who has been groomed and made ready. The position wasn't at all lacking in options, as you suggest. It would've been fine either way. I disagree. If they wait until Favre makes up his mind on his own time-table, and DON'T draft for depth, then they would have only had Rodgers and camp arms at QB, if Brett's decision at long last (assuming the scenario where the team says take all the time you need) was to retire. If that would have come to pass, we'd be killing TT for leaving things so up in the air. Are you saying that they should have drafted QB no matter when Brett made his decision? That I could agree with.

Because he is a HOF QB who is coming off an MVP caliber season. Why the hell should he have to prove ANYTHING? When the team could not get an acccurate read on his level of commitment to football (and fine if you don't feel like playing), and when he wavered a few times, I think they wondered if he was really done and if it was time to move on. Now that he's decided it's time to come back, you seem to be saying that the team should drop everything and make him the starter again without having to prove a level of commitment? I'm not suggesting competition where they line up and both throw passes through tires, but just one where the best man wins. If Favre outperforms Rodgers in practice, give him his job back. I believe it's about wins, despite some of annoyances/hesitancies of Favre.
If you were an MVP worker at your company coming off a great year and sparkling review, and they decided to open up your job to competition with a recent college grad with great potential but little proven capability, you'd be a little pissed off. Sure, the company has the right to do whatever they want...but you also have the right to your own displeasure and frustration. That is precisely where Favre is right now. If the MVP worker was taking liberties and not showing a high level of commitment to the company, then he'd be resting on his laurels, with somewhat of a sense of entitlement as if he could just walk back in and assume the same role without having to answer for his indecision, or the company wanting someone they knew would be there. Perhaps the organization just took the MVP worker at his word and didn't want to wait on him anymore. People do retire and lose their desire at some point. Is a company supposed to guess when that desire might change or move on? I don't think they expected Favre back, and why should they have?

That is just a dumb comment. After all Favre has given the organization...and what he accomplished LAST SEASON...he shouldn't have to sit here and prove himself as being better than a kid with no NFL starts on his resume. So, he should be given the starters job back just like that, after he retires and then finally decides to come back? I love Brett and I think he's a proven winner, but isn't that enabling someone to just do whatever/however they want irrespective of the team's needs? Again, the point is, if he's still got it and it's better than Rodgers, a little healthy competition never hurt anyone. You don't think Rodgers was trying to win the starters job for three years? You don't think Favre was trying to keep the starters job? If he's better, no competition, A-Rod sits.
What the Packers are doing to Favre is being noticed by every player and future player in the league. The Packers are getting a black eye right now because of their lack of loyalty to Favre...even if their decision to "move on" is a practical one. It will only make it more difficult for the Packers to acquire free agent talent. What role does Favre and his indecision play in this? Not everything has to be malice of forethought. Brett was not wavering to piss the team off, and the team didn't move on to squeeze Brett out. Sometimes people really do retire and lose their desire to play and as an organization you have to be ready, not just hoping for Brett to change his mind.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 12:58 PM

I disagree, GM's and fans always think they are ONE PLAYER AWAY and it is often a QB. If we shop him we will get something for him. I wouldn't even be shocked if Vick gets another chance.

Ya, I too would think many teams would have interest in Favre. I'm just reacting to John Claytons analysis that no AFC team has interest in Favre, and the Packers statement that they have had no trade inquiries.

Gunakor
07-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Then Green Bay has ONE MONTH to prepare for the new season with a brand new starting QB. That's not fair to the Packers, is it?

So is it equally fair to give a guy who has given his all to your team for 16 years roughly the same amount of time to make a career ending decision?

The Packers already had plan B...his name is Aaron Rodgers. He already knows the system. He already knows the players. One month is PLENTY of time for him to get up to speed. Numerous QBs have made due with a lot less with success.

I could see your argument if Green Bay had no one immediately available on the roster to replace Favre...but that was not the case.

Favre had been given more than a month. He had been given three, he only used one. Watch the interview again Leap. He said that the Packers wanted to know by the draft. Favre announced his retirement in early march, the draft is in late april. He had more time if he wanted.

Gunakor
07-15-2008, 01:13 PM

Well, the Colts didn't draft 2 new quarterbacks in the draft. The Colts have not tailored thier offense to a new quarterback. The Colts have not made decisions all offseason figuring that Jim Sorgi would be thier starter this year. You can't compare what Favre has done to what Manning is doing. They are two completely different situations.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 01:24 PM
but we can compare Walker/McKenzie to him>>>>> DOUBLE STANDARD! ha

Gunakor
07-15-2008, 01:27 PM

Have a great QB doesn't happen in the offseason

Miami didn't have a plan in place for Marino's retirement. The Packers do. They've been grooming his replacement for years now.

It's not just the work that the players have done in the last couple months that is important. What about the work that TT's scouts put in while preparing for the draft? How about the work that MM and his staff have done putting together a new offense tailored to Aaron Rodgers? Is that work not important?

People like you have no concept of how GOOD we could possibly be without Favre. Just look at San Fransisco when Montana retired. And Young wasn't even drafted and groomed by the Niners to be Montana's replacement. He spent several years looking like a shit backup in Tampa before going to San Fransisco. Rodgers has been here from the start, knowing this would one day be his team to lead. He's been preparing for this for several years now. He'll come into this season every bit as prepared as Young came into the first year after Montana. Maybe even moreso.

Gunakor
07-15-2008, 01:28 PM
but we can compare Walker/McKenzie to him>>>>> DOUBLE STANDARD! ha

I wasn't the one who made that comparison. Find where I did and quote me please. I never compared the two even once. They are not the same, I never said the were. You mistake me for someone else.

packinpatland
07-15-2008, 01:34 PM

'Unbalanced' ? I thought he sounded perfectly balanced in that interview. The unbalanced one is TT.......taking out his locker and shipping it to MS? That's just weird.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Favre is really losing this battle with the media. You don't watch ESPN, do you? I have never seen so much ass-kissing in my life.

I am not saying the media is the one judging, I am the one judging, and unbelievably Ted Thompson is actually sounding more balanced and level headed than Favre. Thompson is making more sense in the matter. Thats what I am saying.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
After last night,

you are on my permanent shit list. your performance last night was disgraceful - questioning my manhood and JustinHarrel's intelligence. Not unlike Brett Favre's pathetic display last night, I think you have now soiled your nest here at packerrats. Leave.

Who do I get to take with me? Make me a list, I must request Sheephead. He is simply such a good time I don't know if I could make it without him.

I am not the first one to question either of those two thing by the way.

Gunakor
07-15-2008, 01:51 PM

'Unbalanced' ? I thought he sounded perfectly balanced in that interview. The unbalanced one is TT.......taking out his locker and shipping it to MS? That's just weird.

I'm not as concerned with how balanced he seemed in that interview as how UNbalanced he's seemed all offseason. One week he's retired, then a couple weeks later he wants back in, then a week after that he changes his mind again, then a couple months after that wants back in again...

Packerarcher
07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
With all of the supposed lies going down on both sides no one knows who to beleive. I through all of this have sided with Brett,not just because he is arguably the best player to ever put on a Packer uni. Not because of all of his kick ass Qb stats or even his durability. Not even because he would give the Packers the best chance to win this season. But because I BELIEVE him,he isn't doing this as a stunt to make money or for publicity. He JUST WANTS TO PLAY FOOTBALL. He really has nothing to gain by lying. The Packer management however have EVERYTHING to gain by putting thier spin on this. They CAN'T look bad in deals like this,already being in a small market a bad image costs them money with both fans and future player prospects. If this whole deal were over money then brett might have something to lie about,but as I said Green Bay could/is loose money on this. So you all beleive who you want,but I know the Packers management have been far from truthful on this.

I posted this last night and I truly beleive it. The Packer Management specifacially TT is not telling the whole truth. No matter what the situation/problem is when it comes to a business at the end of things it comes down to money. Sure Brett probably would not mind the 12 mill from playing another year. But he really has nothing to gain by lying,do you honestly think Brett Favre will not be ok $ wise if he does not play this year. However Green Bay looses money big time when something like this happens,even more so if they look like the big bad guys. TT and the Packer organization will put their spin on this to make themselves look better. THEY ARE GOING TO LOSE BIG TIME MONEY ON THIS,and as JH is so fond of saying, for TT this is only a business. People LIE in BIG business everyday,TT is after all an EXECUTIVE not a coach. Beleive who you want,but if nothing else makes you see the light the money issue should. Brett Favre is losing NONE,the Packers well they are now and who knows how much in the future. Not that TT would tell the TRUTH about it,he may want to go 2 for 2 on Exec of the year.

Lurker64
07-15-2008, 02:47 PM
The Packers only lose money if Favre comes back. I understand the hope of the entire Packers organization (not just TT) is that Brett Favre stays retired and eventually becomes happy with that choice. If that's what happens, nobody loses.

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 02:49 PM
With all of the supposed lies going down on both sides no one knows who to beleive. I through all of this have sided with Brett,not just because he is arguably the best player to ever put on a Packer uni. Not because of all of his kick ass Qb stats or even his durability. Not even because he would give the Packers the best chance to win this season. But because I BELIEVE him,he isn't doing this as a stunt to make money or for publicity. He JUST WANTS TO PLAY FOOTBALL. He really has nothing to gain by lying. The Packer management however have EVERYTHING to gain by putting thier spin on this. They CAN'T look bad in deals like this,already being in a small market a bad image costs them money with both fans and future player prospects. If this whole deal were over money then brett might have something to lie about,but as I said Green Bay could/is loose money on this. So you all beleive who you want,but I know the Packers management have been far from truthful on this.

I posted this last night and I truly beleive it. The Packer Management specifacially TT is not telling the whole truth. No matter what the situation/problem is when it comes to a business at the end of things it comes down to money. Sure Brett probably would not mind the 12 mill from playing another year. But he really has nothing to gain by lying,do you honestly think Brett Favre will not be ok $ wise if he does not play this year. However Green Bay looses money big time when something like this happens,even more so if they look like the big bad guys. TT and the Packer organization will put their spin on this to make themselves look better. THEY ARE GOING TO LOSE BIG TIME MONEY ON THIS,and as JH is so fond of saying, for TT this is only a business. People LIE in BIG business everyday,TT is after all an EXECUTIVE not a coach. Beleive who you want,but if nothing else makes you see the light the money issue should. Brett Favre is losing NONE,the Packers well they are now and who knows how much in the future. Not that TT would tell the TRUTH about it,he may want to go 2 for 2 on Exec of the year.

I see it the exact opposite way.

Who has more to lose, Favre or the Packers. The Packers. They are already a small market team in an area that is not looked at very favorably by rich, young athletes. Why would the Packers put out the details they have unless they have the material to back them up? That’s a pretty big risk, and quite a gamble to take. If Favre had some big bombshell to drop and frame them as liars, I think he would do it. From his comments, it already looks like he is burning bridges, why would he hold back if he could exploit the organization as liars. Who knows, maybe it is coming tonight.

Gunakor
07-15-2008, 02:53 PM

How are the Packers losing money on this? Because more people would buy Favre jerseys than Rodgers jerseys? Lambeau is sold out for the next 600 millenia, so the money will keep rolling in. On top of that, the NFL's shared revenue system remains in place for the next couple of seasons at least. Being in a small market does not matter. The money will be there. That doesn't worry me at all.

The Shadow
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM

Well, his name, legacy, and reputation are suffering terrible hits.
Money from future endorsements has to be flushing away.
His mystique was always as a player somewhat above the rest.
That is most certainly gone now for good.

Packerarcher
07-15-2008, 02:58 PM

How are the Packers losing money on this? Because more people would buy Favre jerseys than Rodgers jerseys? Lambeau is sold out for the next 600 millenia, so the money will keep rolling in. On top of that, the NFL's shared revenue system remains in place for the next couple of seasons at least. Being in a small market does not matter. The money will be there. That doesn't worry me at all.

If you have to ask how this is costing GB money you wouldn't understand. Do you think TICKET sales is the only source of income.

Packerarcher
07-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Well, his name, legacy, and reputation are suffering terrible hits.
Money from future endorsements has to be flushing away.
His mystique was always as a player somewhat above the rest.
That is most certainly gone now for good.

I haven't heard ANY of the companies that he does endorsements for announce they are dropping him. When an athlete does something that the general public views as bad that is usally one of the first things you here. I don't think Brett will have any trouble getting future endorsements if he chooses to.

PackerTimer
07-15-2008, 03:13 PM

First, I take a completely opposite approach. Favre and his camp have been less than truthful through this whole ordeal. Last night he kept on citing the backup plan. That was NEVER said by TT. Never. Not once. It was a misunderstood quote that he cleared up right away. It's just one more example of the half truths we've been hearing from them all along. They are trying to twist and distort what he said to suit their agenda, i.e, you'll be the backup which is not what he said. It sounds like something you'd hear from McCain and Obama.

Second, I think that maybe......ahhhh......it possibly could be something like 13 million dollars.

the_idle_threat
07-15-2008, 03:16 PM
I haven't heard ANY of the companies that [Favre] does endorsements for announce they are dropping him. When an athlete does something that the general public views as bad that is usally one of the first things you here. I don't think Brett will have any trouble getting future endorsements if he chooses to.

If there is no trade and this thing gets ugly, I wouldn't be surprised if this hurts Favre's marketability, at least in the short term. He's painting himself as a victim here, and it's not playing well with a lot of the public.

PackerBlues
07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
I haven't heard ANY of the companies that [Favre] does endorsements for announce they are dropping him. When an athlete does something that the general public views as bad that is usally one of the first things you here. I don't think Brett will have any trouble getting future endorsements if he chooses to.

If there is no trade and this thing gets ugly, I wouldn't be surprised if this hurts Favre's marketability, at least in the short term. He's painting himself as a victim here, and it's not playing well with a lot of the public.

I am sure that a lot of the public is aware of what Favre has had to put up with in the last few years also. Thompson pushing out a legend who not onlyl wants to continue playing, but who also has proved that he is easily still one of the top 5 at his position, does nothing to help the franchise as far as bringing in talent. Not that we have to worry about that with Thompson anyway. :roll: You would think that the thought of trading Favre for a draft pick would have Thompson licking his chops and drooling all over the place just thinking about bringing in another Justin Harrell. :roll:

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 03:32 PM

I am sure that a lot of the public is aware of what Favre has had to put up with in the last few years also. Thompson pushing out a legend who not onlyl wants to continue playing, but who also has proved that he is easily still one of the top 5 at his position, does nothing to help the franchise as far as bringing in talent. Not that we have to worry about that with Thompson anyway. :roll: You would think that the thought of trading Favre for a draft pick would have Thompson licking his chops and drooling all over the place just thinking about bringing in another Justin Harrell. :roll:

What Favre has had to put up with? You mean wanting Moss and not getting him because he's NOT THE FUCKIN GM.

Pushing out a legend? As in being open to Favre's return in March and giving him plenty of time for YEARS to make a decision about retirement.

Not bringing in talent? Were you in a coma last year? I'll recap, 13-3, youngest team in the league, Jennings became a star, this guy Grant who TT TRADED for became the surprise back of the 2nd half. It was quite a seaon.

PackerBlues
07-15-2008, 03:39 PM
What Favre has had to put up with? You mean wanting Moss and not getting him because he's NOT THE FUCKIN GM.

Pushing out a legend? As in being open to Favre's return in March and giving him plenty of time for YEARS to make a decision about retirement.

Not bringing in talent? Were you in a coma last year? I'll recap, 13-3, youngest team in the league, Jennings became a star, this guy Grant who TT TRADED for became the surprise back of the 2nd half. It was quite a seaon.

I was actually referring to the coaching changes, the changes in personell around him, the death of his father and brother-in-law...........but if you want to lump all of that other shit in along with it, go ahead dumb ass.

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 03:46 PM

I was actually referring to the coaching changes, the changes in personell around him, the death of his father and brother-in-law...........but if you want to lump all of that other shit in along with it, go ahead dumb ass.

So what does that have to do with it? Not that I don't sympathize with him and appreciate what he has gone through, but what is your point? Because he has gone through some personal struggles he has earned the right to act like a whiny bitch? What exactly are you trying to prove? Does that give everyone who has gone through personal losses and job changes the right to whine about not getting what they want?

You didn't say anything about his personal life. You jumped straight from "what Favre has had to put up with" to "TT is pushing him out the door and has brought in no talent."

imscott72
07-15-2008, 03:53 PM
I'd really like to know what Deanna thinks about all this. She can't be happy. This drama doesn't seem like her style at all. I'm betting she's a little pissed off with Bretsky right now.

vince
07-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm betting Bretsky would get pretty turned on by that.

Oh you mean the OTHER Bretsky...

PackerTimer
07-15-2008, 04:01 PM

I haven't read any of your posts in some time. They certainly haven't gotten any more insightful. Crawling back out of the word work when you can blast TT, huh? Certainly couldn't do it during the season when they were busy going 13-3 with the lack of talent he assembled. Your opinion lacks any credibility.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 04:08 PM
One thing about Ted Thompson, the worst part of his job is when he has to let somebody go or move in a different direction. I think he feels awful that Favre is hurt by this and is doing everything he can to treat Brett with respect and dignity even if they're ready to move on.

To Brett this might be about spite and distrust but to the Packers, I think they are just trying to make the best decisions they can and they hate to see any of their guys (including Brett) hurt when they make a decision to move forward.

imscott72
07-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Oh you mean the OTHER Bretsky...

Yep Da other one.. :D

The Shadow
07-15-2008, 04:15 PM

13-3?

Packerarcher
07-15-2008, 04:25 PM

13-3?

Shadow what is that suppose to mean.

PackerTimer
07-15-2008, 04:48 PM

13-3?

Probably that he brought enought talent for a 13-3 and NFC Championship Game run. Unfortunately for some on here, it wasn't Favre alone who got us there. He was big part of it, but TT has done a heck of a job rebuilding this team.

Packerarcher
07-15-2008, 04:57 PM

13-3?

Probably that he brought enought talent for a 13-3 and NFC Championship Game run. Unfortunately for some on here, it wasn't Favre alone who got us there. He was big part of it, but TT has done a heck of a job rebuilding this team.

No it was not Favre alone that got the Pack to 13-3 last year,nor was it TT. Regardless of how much talent there was on that field last year,if you deny Brett Favre was one of the biggest factors of 13-3 you are dillusional.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 05:04 PM
No it was not Favre alone that got the Pack to 13-3 last year,nor was it TT. Regardless of how much talent there was on that field last year,if you deny Brett Favre was one of the biggest factors of 13-3 you are dillusional.

That's what makes it so interesting to me. The Packers didn't have to move on from a good thing. They chose to. I think they are excited about the guy they have and me being an "actions speak louder than words" guy, I think it is a positive sign to Packer fans that the next QB is going to be a good one.

PackerTimer
07-15-2008, 05:15 PM

13-3?

It's equally delusional to pretend that TT had nothing to do with that success. I've seen people do that. I have not seen anybody pretend that BF had nothing to do with it. People are a little upset over his actions right now. But ask myself or any one of those people and they'll acknowledge what he did for this team not only last year but for the last 16. The difference is we don't see that as some sort of entitlement or right to act the way he is now.

Gunakor
07-15-2008, 05:41 PM

If you have to ask how this is costing GB money you wouldn't understand. Do you think TICKET sales is the only source of income.

You didn't answer my question. And you totally didn't read the second sentence of my response, which is I'm sure something along the lines of what you are getting at. Trust me, if Rodgers is the starter then plenty of people will spend plenty of money on Rodgers merchandise. What else could you be talking about? The media circus surrounding this deal could only bring in MORE money. Any of the other sources of income aren't going to change significantly. If at all. Fan support will remain strong regardless. So what money are you talking about that Ted is losing here?

cpk1994
07-15-2008, 05:44 PM

I am not saying the media is the one judging, I am the one judging, and unbelievably Ted Thompson is actually sounding more balanced and level headed than Favre. Thompson is making more sense in the matter. Thats what I am saying.And thats great, but as long he has ESPN kissing his ass and sniffing his jock, he will never lose the battle with the media.

Bretsky
07-15-2008, 06:42 PM

:bclap:

Bretsky
07-15-2008, 06:45 PM

That's what makes it so interesting to me. The Packers didn't have to move on from a good thing. They chose to. I think they are excited about the guy they have and me being an "actions speak louder than words" guy, I think it is a positive sign to Packer fans that the next QB is going to be a good one.

Very true; and if TT ditches Favre and AROD miserably fails and we are not winning there will be several volunteers to throw TT under the bus and several volunteers to drive it :lol:

MJZiggy
07-15-2008, 07:30 PM

I know one or two posters here that should buy those tickets! :idea:

The Shadow
07-15-2008, 07:35 PM

13-3?

Well, when a football team goes 13-3 and is one bad pass away from going to a Super Bowl, the GM must have had at least some modicum of success with bringing in talent.

MJZiggy
07-15-2008, 08:20 PM

I am not saying the media is the one judging, I am the one judging, and unbelievably Ted Thompson is actually sounding more balanced and level headed than Favre. Thompson is making more sense in the matter. Thats what I am saying.And thats great, but as long he has ESPN kissing his ass and sniffing his jock, he will never lose the battle with the media.
There is every potential for him to lose that battle as soon as the fans decide that this whole thing is BS and get tired of hearing about it. And since actual Packer fans are getting sick of hearing it and Caliendo makes a living off of a man-crush for Favre, there has to be some potential for the public to tire of the drama.

MJZiggy
07-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Here is something that's been bothering me all day: Favre thinks M3 and TT pressured him to retire? Pressured him to decide? Even if he hadn't had another month to think about it before his draft deadline, he's Brett Freaking Favre. He could have simply said, "no, I'm not ready to decide yet."

If the team had made any move to do ANYTHING about it, they'd have been crucified by the media.

He could have stepped onto that press conference stage amongst all the swirling doubts at the time and said, "ya know what, I know I came here to retire, but I just can't." The press would have called him a drama queen and the fans would have rejoiced. TT or M3 might have expressed an opinion, but no one held a gun to his head to either decide or hold that press conference. The blame for that decision does not fall on TT. Sorry. If Favre wants to play the "big boy" card in interviews, then he needs to man up and not blame TT for his own wrong decisions.

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Ziggy,

I just got home. What the heck is going on with United in the SuperLiga? I'm hoping for a dramatic comeback. I know it doesn't anything, but I want the MLS teams to win bad.

MJZiggy
07-15-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't know. I don't have it on. :oops:

Bretsky
07-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Chris Mortenson interviewed tonight

He thinks cooler heads will prevail, and the Packer Brass will decide that in 08 they are better off with the combo of Favre Rodgers instead of Rodgers Brohm.
Interesting take

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Chris Mortenson is annoying.. a lot of the stuff he reports seems to be really dumb, but he actually seems like a nice guy so I'll give him a break I guess

PackerTimer
07-15-2008, 10:20 PM

He thinks cooler heads will prevail, and the Packer Brass will decide that in 08 they are better off with the combo of Favre Rodgers instead of Rodgers Brohm.
Interesting take

I think Mort is reaching. Did he mean some sort of QB by committe thing? I don't see Favre accepting that at all after his comments the last few nights. I also don't see him getting the job handed to him. I don't think we'll see Favre in a Packer uniform or any uniform for that matter this year.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:21 PM

Interesting take

Ya, I think patching up differences is not a big obstacle.

And I think that a trade that suits both Favre and the Packers does not look likely.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 10:23 PM
The only way this happens though is if Favre and Thompson sit face to face and have a chat... that is THE only way this happens but I really don't see that happening cuz they both seem to wanna be dumb with this issue

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't think we'll see Favre in a Packer uniform or any uniform for that matter this year.

oh phooey. When is the last time a star player sat out a season in any sport. Favre doesn't even have a contract dispute. he'll play, probably in GB, but somewhere.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:24 PM
The only way this happens though is if Favre and Thompson sit face to face and have a chat... that is THE only way this happens but I really don't see that happening cuz they both seem to wanna be dumb with this issue

TT hasn't done a single dumb thing. And there is absolutely no indication that he has avoided communication with Favre.

This fuck-up is 100% on Madonna, a.k.a Favre.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh, come on Harlan... it goes both ways and I've seen reports from both guys now that they both have done stupid things

PackerTimer
07-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I don't think we'll see Favre in a Packer uniform or any uniform for that matter this year.

oh phooey. When is the last time a star player sat out a season in any sport. Favre doesn't even have a contract dispute. he'll play, probably in GB, but somewhere.

I don't know Harlan, he won't be with the Packers unless he does a 180 and decides he's willing to compete for the starting job because the Packers won't hand it to him. And unitl he officially unretires he won't get traded. Every day that he doesn't do that makes it less and less likely he'll ever do it.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:30 PM
If TT and MM are stupid, then I'm stupid too. Because even with the benefit of hindsight, I would say and do pretty much exactly what they did.

Honestly, the only questionable thing TT was to suggest that Favre was welcome to come back in a non-starter role. That was a political way of TT telling Favre to go fuck himself. That's about what I would have done too.

Fundamentally, MM & TT bent over backwards to accomodate Favre, they have NOTHING to apologize for.

Bretsky
07-15-2008, 10:31 PM

TT hasn't done a single dumb thing. And there is absolutely no indication that he has avoided communication with Favre.

This fuck-up is 100% on Madonna, a.k.a Favre.

I don't agree HH but I'm sick of debating this

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 10:33 PM
If TT and MM are stupid, then I'm stupid too. Because even with the benefit of hindsight, I would say and do pretty much exactly what they did.

Honestly, the only questionable thing TT was to suggest that Favre was welcome to come back in a non-starter role. That was a political way of TT telling Favre to go fuck himself. That's about what I would have done too.

Fundamentally, MM & TT bent over backwards to accomodate Favre, they have NOTHING to apologize for.

Agreed, at least on a "what is reasonable" scale. I just don't see what else they should have done differently.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:34 PM

I don't know Harlan, he won't be with the Packers unless he does a 180 and decides he's willing to compete for the starting job because the Packers won't hand it to him. And unitl he officially unretires he won't get traded. Every day that he doesn't do that makes it less and less likely he'll ever do it.

What looks like a big deal is actually a big nothing. Once it moves off a confrontational, hurt-feelings plane, things will just fall into place. Favre can "compete for a starting job" if he feels the Packers want him. That just means he is in camp splitting time with Arod.

cpk1994
07-16-2008, 06:48 AM

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: