PDA

View Full Version : NAIL IS IN THE COFFIN

Pages : [1] 2

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 09:13 PM
After Tonights interview, I can't ever see Favre in Green Bay again.

He was brash; He is bitter. He is unhappy.

Continually said MM and/or Packer brass noted

You can't come back to play in GB
But we can't envision you playing somewhere else

It was very obvious that he felt pressured to make a decision sooner than he was ready......whether his perception is right or wrong.

Chevelle2
07-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Recap?

dabootski
hate to say it but i gotta agree with you brettsky. god this just sucks.

my favorite player ever and my favorite sports team ever are getting divorced. goddammit.

Bretsky
watched it with my wife; she reads facial expressions and tone better than I. Chicks do that

Harsh, blunt, and a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Looked jaded

Those are the perceptions of a chick

falco
07-14-2008, 09:17 PM
fuck it

MJZiggy
07-14-2008, 09:18 PM
But what did he SAY???

rbaloha1
07-14-2008, 09:20 PM
BF is a poor politician.

What does BF mean by saying he retired but left the door open to return?

What does BF mean by saying he only plays if he is 100 per cent committed but is not 100 per cent committed?

The coach-player relationship is ruined. BF strategically failed to mention TT in part I.

Stay tuned for part II tomorrow.

Brando19
07-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Everytime he did a direct quote from MM, his impression of him was that of an asshole....i don't think he cares for MM right now. I don't think these relationships can be fixed anytime soon. THIS SUCKS. Part 2 is tomorrow at 10 pm Eastern.

Brando19
07-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Brett said at first they told him he would not be playing in Green Bay. Then MM said he can't see him playing anywhere else. Then they said he could be a backup to Rodgers. Favre said the only time he talked to TT was June 20. He pretty much denied text messaging him a week or two ago. Favre, at the end, said he may not play anywhere. Kinda strange, mean, shocking interview. I don't know what to think. The only thing I'm pretty sure of is he won't ever be a Packer.

Packers4Ever
07-14-2008, 09:26 PM
watched it with my wife; she reads facial expressions and tone better than I. Chicks do that

I wouldn't call it harsh or blunt, but he was definitely prepared
to talk and tell his side, no stammering or searching for words - I thought he came across as very strong, it was good to see him at least looking
and sounding like he felt strong, mentally and physically.
But who knows what they'll allow for him ????

Stay tuned for the 2nd half tomorrow night.

MJZiggy
07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Favre, at the end, said he may not play anywhere.

I KNEW he was gonna threaten to retire!!!

GBRulz
07-14-2008, 09:28 PM
After watching that interview, I am convinced that we will never see him as a Packer again.

There was definitely bitterness towards M3 and the Packers. I loved the part when he said they are trying to protect his legacy and trying to convince him to stay retired, yet they then tell him he can come back as a backup. I probably didn't explain it right, but you've gotta watch the interview.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Tone aside, those are the positions one would expect him to take.

Was there anything to suggest that he wouldn't take an offer to come back and compete? Or does it need to be an offer to start? Just curious if there is wiggle room.

It was very obvious that he felt pressured to make a decision sooner than he was ready......whether his perception is right or wrong.

Fosco33
07-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Main parts of what he said have already been quoted.

I guess it had to end somehow for the Packers... disappointed in MM, TT and BF. People place a lot of pressure on all three - and I don't think this was managed well (whether expectations, timelines, media, etc.).

I do think there was an expectation of a timeline for a decision - and I don't blame TT for asking for one... I question not allowing the door to be relatively open knowing Favre's past -- therefore setting better expectations for MM and ARod.

I'll be very sad to see Favre in another uniform - and I'll likely watch all of his games (on TiVO if it's on the same time as the Pack). He's still 'got it', IMO. 'It' meaning - ability to win/lead a team deep into the playoffs.

But yeah, I think if he came out and said, "I'm an idiot. I want to be a Packer - I'd like to compete for the starting job and make it up to the coaches, players, fans." - I'd feel a lot different.

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Recap?

I will do my best although to be honest what stuck out the most to me was his tone.

Favre noted his decision when he retired was that he could not see giving 100%. He said the Packer brass wanted answer in March and he gave it as best he could. Noted some players might just come back and see where it flies, but he needed to feel 100% committed.

Noted that in June he called MM and noted he was interested in coming back. Wanted to get MM's take. He said MM really waffled and backtracked. Noted that puts him in a bad situation and there might not be a spot for him.

He expressed more interest, and he mentioned...at least two...maybe three times, that they said that He can't come back to Green Bay and they can't envision him with another team. CLEARLY he is not happy with this.

The last time he noted that with some stronger tone. He referred to them putting out things that were not true as well. Not sure what that meant, but I bet there is some things missing to the story of the supposed canceled comeback..just my hunch

He noted that despite what they say, they repeatedly noted that he did not feel like he was welcome to come in and compete.

Chevelle2
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
What was the source of animosity for TT and M3 from Brett?

Chevelle2
07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Recap?

I will do my best although to be honest what stuck out the most to me was his tone.

Favre noted his decision when he retired was that he could not see giving 100%. He said the Packer brass wanted answer in March and he gave it as best he could. Noted some players might just come back and see where it flies, but he needed to feel 100% committed.

Noted that in June he called MM and noted he was interested in coming back. Wanted to get MM's take. He said MM really waffled and backtracked. Noted that puts him in a bad situation and there might not be a spot for him.

He expressed more interest, and he mentioned...at least two...maybe three times, that they said that He can't come back to Green Bay and they can't envision him with another team. CLEARLY he is not happy with this.

The last time he noted that with some stronger tone. He referred to them putting out things that were not true as well. Not sure what that meant, but I bet there is some things missing to the story of the supposed canceled comeback..just my hunch

He noted that despite what they say, they repeatedly noted that he did not feel like he was welcome to come in and compete.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

Merlin
Well saying "he will never be a Packer again" is kind of like saying "he isn't going to retire after a season like that". I am going to stay optimistic on this. I think the Packers have had a poor choice of words thus far and I think McCarthy is only parroting what he is told. Favre seems like he has an understanding of what is going on and he to is confused by the Packers reaction to him wanting to return. Maybe this will cause the Packers to be straightforward with their answer and at the very least cause the dialog to be there. I think there has been a lot of speculation about Favre and from what I can see, the guy wants to play but the Packers (as in Ted Thompson because we know Murphy is staying out of it as is McCarthy) don't want him to play, at all. I think that there is a good possibility that he will be a Packer should he decide to return. As I said, this may serve to get the air cleared on all fronts.

texaspackerbacker
He said--I don't think sarcastically--that he may just not play at all.

That would be for the best.

Packers4Ever
07-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Brett said at first they told him he would not be playing in Green Bay. Then MM said he can't see him playing anywhere else. Then they said he could be a backup to Rodgers. Favre said the only time he talked to TT was June 20. He pretty much denied text messaging him a week or two ago. Favre, at the end, said he may not play anywhere. Kinda strange, mean, shocking interview. I don't know what to think. The only thing I'm pretty sure of is he won't ever be a Packer.

Brando you remember a lot more of the 'he said' stuff than I do,
I guess I was concentrating on how he looked, upbeat, I thought
and ready to talk, like he'd been holding it in for too long.
Whether he''ll ever be a Packer again is a toss-up far as I could
see and maybe that's for the best, what would their relationships
with each other be after all that's gone on?

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Tone aside, those are the positions one would expect him to take.

Was there anything to suggest that he wouldn't take an offer to come back and compete? Or does it need to be an offer to start? Just curious if there is wiggle room.

From what I gathered Favre made it pretty clear he is not welcome based on what they have said and in contrary to what they put out in the media

Brando19
07-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Brett said when he talked to MM a week or so ago telling him he wanted to come back, MM huffed and puffed around. Brett said he wasn't ready to decide in March and wished he could have had til Training Camp to decide. He said MM said, "Why didn't you say so? Ahh." Brett was like, "You told me you needed an answer by draft/free agency so you could get guys in here." He seemed puzzled that MM and TT were upset. He said he appreciates them trying to save his legacy by not trading him, but he said something along the line of 'I'm a big boy.'

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 09:40 PM
After watching that interview, I am convinced that we will never see him as a Packer again.

There was definitely bitterness towards M3 and the Packers. I loved the part when he said they are trying to protect his legacy and trying to convince him to stay retired, yet they then tell him he can come back as a backup. I probably didn't explain it right, but you've gotta watch the interview.

It appeared they expressed a few times that there is not room for him and than my guess is the backup idea came out in the interview TT gave to the media.

He felt some truth was undoubtedly misrepresented. Probably safe to figure he didn't feel they were consistent with what they told him and then the media

He did not waver much at all and sounded very strong and convicted in his view. Sounded pretty believable and sincere, but not happy.

ALSO noted he wanted to play for GB ONLY and it was never his intention to try to go somewhere else until he felt he was not wanted.

What a F'ckin Mess

Pacopete4
When Brett Favre writes the tell all book in 10 years or so we will all know what happened, until then its he said this, they said that... its f-ing dumb. I can't believe im agreeing with John Clayton but they need a mediator in this situation to sit them both down and air it out.. and when it all comes down to that, Brett Favre will be the starter for the Packers cuz like Clayton says, he is the best QB they have... simple

dabootski
texaspackerbacker: i disagree that it "would be for the best". brett favre wants to play football, whether its for the pack (his #1 choice) or someone else. it is obvious now that he 100% wants to get back out on the field. he, like the rest of use, is only gonna live once and would regret not coming back until he really felt he was done. i hope like hell that the future finds him in GB again, but will be happy (and cheer) for him wherever he ends up.

unless its in minnesota. fuck the queens.

Bossman641
07-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Brett said when he talked to MM a week or so ago telling him he wanted to come back, MM huffed and puffed around. Brett said he wasn't ready to decide in March and wished he could have had til Training Camp to decide. He said MM said, "Why didn't you say so? Ahh." Brett was like, "You told me you needed an answer by draft/free agency so you could get guys in here." He seemed puzzled that MM and TT were upset. He said he appreciates them trying to save his legacy by not trading him, but he said something along the line of 'I'm a big boy.'

I'm sorry, but if he expected to have til TC to decide then forget him. That is absolutely ridiculous.

RashanGary

Havel said this in April. That is how Favre feels about it. The problem is, the offseason is when guys get together and grow something special for the up coming season. IT's not right for Favre to leave his teammates to work and then just show up on Sundays like he's one of the guys. I think Brett Favre lost his ground and thinks he's above his teammates. I don't think MM or TT were ready to take him back with the disrespect he's shown to the guys he plays with.

falco
What a F'ckin Mess

agreed bretsky - its a helluva bad situation

GBRulz

Yeah, he said he appreciates them trying to save his legacy by not trading him, but they might welcome him back as a back up.

Chevelle2
07-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Hahahha the fans on the officialfavreforum are flipping "FIRE TT!!"

lol Im embarrassed they are Packer fans.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Exactly, because one-sided tell alls are the best source for the historical record.

When Brett Favre writes the tell all book in 10 years or so we will all know what happened, until then its he said this, they said that... its f-ing dumb. I can't believe im agreeing with John Clayton but they need a mediator in this situation to sit them both down and air it out.. and when it all comes down to that, Brett Favre will be the starter for the Packers cuz like Clayton says, he is the best QB they have... simple

Ballboy
07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
This is like a soap opera.....when will she ask the big question:

Do you see yourself playing in a Packer uniform next year????

woodbuck27
07-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Coming from YOU then I'd agree with that assessment.

D I V O R C E.

Brando19
07-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Yeah, he said he appreciates them trying to save his legacy by not trading him, but they might welcome him back as a back up.

Right, and the lady interviewing him said you're a big boy, and Brett said exactly.

Chevelle2
07-14-2008, 09:45 PM
He said he appreciates them not trading him to protect his legacy....

BUT WANTS A RELEASE????

Whats the difference?

The Leaper
07-14-2008, 09:45 PM
IT's not right for Favre to leave his teammates to work and then just show up on Sundays like he's one of the guys. I think Brett Favre lost his ground and thinks he's above his teammates. I don't think MM or TT were ready to take him back with the disrespect he's shown to the guys he plays with.

That's a load of crap Harrell.

Favre works harder in camp and during the season as anyone on the roster. Just because he needs to take more time to recover during the offseason due to the fact he is 38 years of age and his body isn't the same as it was 15 years ago doesn't mean Favre is some kind of diva.

Favre hasn't disrespected anyone IMO.

woodbuck27
07-14-2008, 09:46 PM
GOOD NIGHT... Packer fans and Rastak. :D

The Leaper
07-14-2008, 09:46 PM

BUT WANTS A RELEASE????

Whats the difference?

Favre wants control over his legacy...he doesn't trust or appreciate Thompson or McCarthy right now and doesn't want them in control of his future.

Lurker64
07-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Favre has been told he's within his right to unretire and report to camp, I don't see why any football player would want or need any more of a welcome.

Brett, if this is really how you feel, stay retired for chrissakes.

GBRulz

BUT WANTS A RELEASE????

Whats the difference?

It's hard to explain if you didn't see it. He was being facetious with that remark. Like "oh, gee thanks for not trading me, but it's ok for me to sit back and hold a clip board" type of thing.

Brando19

D I V O R C E.

Huh?

Pacopete4
07-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Lurker, he knows that they dont plan on starting him... you really think if he wanted to play, and they just said he show up if u want, that he wouldnt? theres a ton going on behind the scene that he nor TT/MM are telling.. and its SHOWING

pbmax
07-14-2008, 09:49 PM
No serious minded person needs 7 months to decide when to retire when you have been contemplating it since 2001. The training camp as target date is ridiculous.

He has also just contradicted most of what he said about his decision during the retirement press conference.

BF4MVP
07-14-2008, 09:50 PM

He said McCarthy told him that playing for Green Bay was "not an option," so I wouldn't think that he sees himself playing for the Pack next year..

I have to admit, I feel a little bit guilty about forming an opinion before I even heard his side of the story..Sounds like if they would have given him until training camp to make his decision, he would be a Packer and all of this would have been avoided..

I'm not sure why they needed to know so quickly..Thompson hardly ever signs free agents, and it's not like we couldn't live without Brohm and/or Flynn..

Plus A-Rod wouldn't have been mad because he has said that didn't expect Brett to retire anyways..

I don't know what to think right now..It's just a messed up situation..

GBRulz
07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Ya know what, JH? I wish you would STFU with your remarks about Favre. You are glad Rodgers is our QB, ok we get that. But to hear you continually disrespect one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game with your BS is beyond sickening.

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 09:51 PM

Hard to argue that the "save the legacy...protect you from yourself" is nothing but a self servicing ridiculously stupid argument

Fosco33
07-14-2008, 09:52 PM
wrong hyperlink... doh

Bretsky

He noted a few times GB has been the only spot he's ever wanted to play, but that is no longer his call

Merlin

Havel said this in April. That is how Favre feels about it. The problem is, the offseason is when guys get together and grow something special for the up coming season. IT's not right for Favre to leave his teammates to work and then just show up on Sundays like he's one of the guys. I think Brett Favre lost his ground and thinks he's above his teammates. I don't think MM or TT were ready to take him back with the disrespect he's shown to the guys he plays with.

It's no secret that you love Thompson, Rodgers, and Justin Harrell. Unfortunately I can't find the post where you said to tell Favre it's time to grow up, I suspect you changed it because you knew it was stupid the second you wrote it. It's time to quit pussy footing around Aaron Rodger's ego and give him a dose of reality. No player tells me as a fan to "get on board or shut up" or whatever the quote was. That shows exactly the amount of ego this kid has. This comes from someone who hasn't had 1 day of competition in the NFL, someone who was handed a job without so much as taking one snap, retained that job without ever being tested.

The GM you love so much is flip flopping on his own handling of the QB position. Rodgers deserves special treatment, Favre does not. Seems a little backasswards to me.

pbmax
Really? So the days he is excused from working in camp, he's working just as hard as the fourth year vets?

And exactly how do you know how much he works during the week?

IT's not right for Favre to leave his teammates to work and then just show up on Sundays like he's one of the guys. I think Brett Favre lost his ground and thinks he's above his teammates. I don't think MM or TT were ready to take him back with the disrespect he's shown to the guys he plays with.

Favre works harder in camp and during the season as anyone on the roster. Just because he needs to take more time to recover during the offseason due to the fact he is 38 years of age and his body isn't the same as it was 15 years ago doesn't mean Favre is some kind of diva.

Fosco33
07-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Ya know what, JH? I wish you would STFU with your remarks about Favre. You are glad Rodgers is our QB, ok we get that. But to hear you continually disrespect one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game with your BS is beyond sickening. :tup:

Bretsky

BUT WANTS A RELEASE????

Whats the difference?

Yo; he was being sarcastic when he said that

Pacopete4
I don't agree with them basically black balling Favre from not playing at all... IF they dont want him to be the starter, then they should allow him to find a suitable trade to a team... as sad as that is.. let the guy finish his career that he has poured everything in to!

pbmax
07-14-2008, 09:54 PM
It is, its just not his call alone. And it would have been all his had he not retired.

He noted a few times GB has been the only spot he's ever wanted to play, but that is no longer his call

Merlin
07-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Lurker, he knows that they dont plan on starting him... you really think if he wanted to play, and they just said he show up if u want, that he wouldnt? theres a ton going on behind the scene that he nor TT/MM are telling.. and its SHOWING

Agreed.

Brando19
07-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Here's the transcript:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298115,00.html

Wrong interview.

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Favre has been told he's within his right to unretire and report to camp, I don't see why any football player would want or need any more of a welcome.

Brett, if this is really how you feel, stay retired for chrissakes.

That is not exactly the message Favre gave tonight; that is the message TT put out via the press though.

Fosco33
07-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Here's the transcript:

Wrong interview.

Yeah, I read the first 2 lines and posted it here - then went and read it and was :oops:

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be on youtube, Fox (many times) or FAVRESPN fully...

Bretsky
No serious minded person needs 7 months to decide when to retire when you have been contemplating it since 2001. The training camp as target date is ridiculous.

He has also just contradicted most of what he said about his decision during the retirement press conference.

Agree on the first part

Not sure what you mean by the 2nd

RashanGary

It's no secret that you love Thompson, Rodgers, and Justin Harrell. Unfortunately I can't find the post where you said to tell Favre it's time to grow up, I suspect you changed it because you knew it was stupid the second you wrote it. It's time to quit pussy footing around Aaron Rodger's ego and give him a dose of reality. No player tells me as a fan to "get on board or shut up" or whatever the quote was. That shows exactly the amount of ego this kid has. This comes from someone who hasn't had 1 day of competition in the NFL, someone who was handed a job without so much as taking one snap, retained that job without ever being tested.

The GM you love so much is flip flopping on his own handling of the QB position. Rodgers deserves special treatment, Favre does not. Seems a little backasswards to me.

Well, you might as well get on board or shut up because that is where we're at Merlin. How does that taste?

Packers4Ever

No, I thought you said it right, GBR, in that sequence, I believe - protect your legacy. stay retired - come back as a backup?
It was like he'd been waiting his turn to talk for a long time. I too would
be very surprised to see him in green and gold again, sad as that sounds.

At least that's how I read it.

Part 2 - 10 Eastern tomorrow night

Merlin
Ya know what, JH? I wish you would STFU with your remarks about Favre. You are glad Rodgers is our QB, ok we get that. But to hear you continually disrespect one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game with your BS is beyond sickening.

Once again, agreed. They guy likes Justin Harrel for faks sake, how creditable can someone be to jump on the bandwagon of a guy who has been nothing but injured for two years and also on the bandwagon of a guy who has only proved he can offend the fan base?

Lurker64
07-14-2008, 09:57 PM
That is not exactly the message Favre gave tonight; that is the message TT put out via the press though.

I saw the interview, I am sick of Brett Favre lying to me. He lied to me in March, and he lied to me tonight. I've seriously lost faith in Brett Favre as a "quality human being", he's a damn good player but he's disingenuous and sneaky. I think Brett Favre owes every single Green Bay Packer fan a sincere apology for his travesty of a "retirement" press conference he held in March. I'll be waiting for an apology, but I don't think I will get one.

Merlin
07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Really? So the days he is excused from working in camp, he's working just as hard as the fourth year vets?

Woodson and Harris don't make it regularly to those either. They are TC type of guys as well.

Pacopete4
How is he lying to you?

the_idle_threat
nevermind :D

pbmax
07-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Was there a question about the March near-unretirement?

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Hey Paco and Merlin. . .

Get on board or SHUT UP!!

:) :)

This is a great day for fans of justice.

MJZiggy
07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Here's the transcript:

Wrong interview.

Yeah, I read the first 2 lines and posted it here - then went and read it and was :oops:

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be on youtube, Fox (many times) or FAVRESPN fully...

I was just going to say that this thing's gonna hit youtube before it hits foxnews.com...there's some pimply kid working on it as we speak...

Merlin

Well, you might as well get on board or shut up because that is where we're at Merlin. How does that taste?

As suspected, you are that stupid.

TravisWilliams23
Maybe MM is the one TT is worried about losing over this ordeal.
Think about this: Brett has his retirement bash in early March.
Later that month "if true" he tells TT he wants to come back and then shortly before they get to finalize that, Brett decides to retire - again.
MM acts on the assumption that Brett is "officially retired" and prepares the upcoming OTA's and practices with all indications that Arod is his QB.
Everything is going according to plan and MM's happy about they way the team is coming around with the "new" offense.
Then bingo-Brett wants to come back and MM would have to start all over again wasting the time already put into the "new" system.
Maybe he tells TT that he won't coach that way and TT doesn't want to lose a pretty good coach over this fiasco.
Don't really know but maybe.

GBRulz

Once again, agreed. They guy likes Justin Harrel for faks sake, how creditable can someone be to jump on the bandwagon of a guy who has been nothing but injured for two years and also on the bandwagon of a guy who has only proved he can offend the fan base?

I have nothing against his support for Rodgers, Harrel, etc. I have a problem with the disrespect showed towards Favre. No real Packer fan would ever talk about one of the greatest players ever, like that.

Brando19

No, but he did mention MM sending a guy down a few weeks ago to talk him out of coming back.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Woodson and Harris both made OTAs this year, Woodson more days than Harris.

But Leaper is talking Training Camp, and the long term vets get a day off (might be the pad practice). So Favre is not working as hard as the younger players.

Woodson and Harris don't make it regularly to those either. They are TC type of guys as well.

Merlin
07-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey Paco and Merlin. . .

You are a fan of stupidity, I see that very clearly now. Next thing you know you will be clamoring for Rex Grossman when Rodgers gets hurt walking into the building the first day of TC.

the_idle_threat
07-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey Paco and Merlin. . .

This is a great day for trolls.

Fixed.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey Paco and Merlin. . .

You are a fan of stupidity, I see that very clearly now. Next thing you know you will be clamoring for Rex Grossman when Rodgers gets hurt walking into the building the first day of TC.

Merlin, GBRulz, trust me, there is nothing you can say that will take away from this moment for me. Favre is a very bad teammate and does not deserve to play in the NFL.

Bretsky

I saw the interview, I am sick of Brett Favre lying to me. He lied to me in March, and he lied to me tonight. I've seriously lost faith in Brett Favre as a "quality human being", he's a damn good player but he's disingenuous and sneaky. I think Brett Favre owes every single Green Bay Packer fan a sincere apology for his travesty of a "retirement" press conference he held in March. I'll be waiting for an apology, but I don't think I will get one.

I don't feel that way. He should have taken more time or as much time as he needed. He felt pressed, made a call, and changed his mind.

I actually feel that there is a discrepancy in what the Packer Brass gave to the media and what Favre perceives he was told by them. Of course the majority in here have already formulated strong views based on the info put out by the Packer brass via the media while we don't trust the info put out by Favre's relatives

But it's clear he thinks he was told he can not come back to GB; regardless of what they are telling us not.

GOSH I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow so I could hear the ESPN analysis from their hosts.

Not sure where the truth is anymore.

Brando19
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Here's the transcript.

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 10:04 PM

nope

Merlin
07-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Maybe MM is the one TT is worried about losing over this ordeal.
Think about this: Brett has his retirement bash in early March.
Later that month "if true" he tells TT he wants to come back and then shortly before they get to finalize that, Brett decides to retire - again.
MM acts on the assumption that Brett is "officially retired" and prepares the upcoming OTA's and practices with all indications that Arod is his QB.
Everything is going according to plan and MM's happy about they way the team is coming around with the "new" offense.
Then bingo-Brett wants to come back and MM would have to start all over again wasting the time already put into the "new" system.
Maybe he tells TT that he won't coach that way and TT doesn't want to lose a pretty good coach over this fiasco.
Don't really know but maybe.

There is probably a lot of truth to that but teams change entire offenses in 1 week during the season. I find it hard to believe that the offense has changed THAT much. If Rodgers is all that and a bag of chips, we may have added some QB draws. Other then that, why couldn't he run the same offense? My guess, he isn't all that and a bag of chips.

Merlin
07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Hey Paco and Merlin. . .

Merlin, GBRulz, trust me, there is nothing you can say that will take away from this moment for me. Favre is a very bad teammate and does not deserve to play in the NFL.

Wtfever man, keep on living in that glass house. Sometimes it just isn't worth it and you my friend are not.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
At this point I have lost track. PFT had a rumor Favre would be allowed to compete. Wilde and the PressGazette had "role to be determined".

There was a leak about being a backup.

Has T2 or M3 gone on record with a quote about backup status?

Chevelle2
07-14-2008, 10:09 PM
At this point I have lost track. PFT had a rumor Favre would be allowed to compete. Wilde and the PressGazette had "role to be determined".

There was a leak about being a backup.

Has T2 or M3 gone on record with a quote about backup status?

TT said the backup statement was taken out of context. That is, he would be considered 2nd string NOW, because he's not on the roster.

Merlin
07-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I have only read the quote from Thompson where he says:

"Favre's welcome back, but the scenery has changed. There may be a different role," Thompson said. "He becomes an active member of the roster, and then we'll see how it goes from there. We don't have the answers right now, because it hasn't happened, and we don't know that it will."

Other then that, I thought the "backup" comment was writer embellishment.

GBRulz
07-14-2008, 10:10 PM

Keep the comments coming, JH and Trojan condoms might want to cast you in their new ad campaign.

MJZiggy
07-14-2008, 10:11 PM
TT in his initial interview said that he could come back to the team but his role would be different. Then, when the media went nuts on his statement he said that he didn't say backup, that they hadn't decided anything and he'd never dealt with anything like this before.

Merlin
07-14-2008, 10:12 PM
This is the clarification that I read:

Sunday, July 13, 2008
Just to clarify ...
One thing that probably deserves clarification following GM Ted Thompson's remarks Saturday is that he never said Brett Favre only would be welcome back as a backup.

The Associated Press originally ran a story saying that. It was a remark taken out of context. The story was adjusted, but I've seen too many stories from other papers and remarks from fans continuing to use that remark.

What Thompson indicated throughout the day in visits with various reporters was that Favre would not return as the starter. There is a difference.

If Favre tells the Packers definitively he wants to come back -- which he has not done, according to Thompson -- he would be added to the roster, since the only other option would be to release him, which the team won't do. If Favre would remain on the roster into training camp and beyond, the Packers would have to determine his role. He well could end up the starter. But the Packers never address such hypotheticals, and the mere implication that Favre wouldn't immediately reassume his old role is reason to believe he will remain to determined to play elsewhere, if he plays at all.

It's difficult to imagine a scenario in which Favre would back up Aaron Rodgers. For one, it would be awkward even having both on the same practice field in camp. It also would make no sense financially for the Packers, who would be bound to pay him his entire $12 million salary if he's on the roster for even one week. So, if he asks to be reinstated to the roster, a trade remains the most likely scenario. It doesn't seem the Packers are convinced he'll make that reinstatement request.

To summarize, Thompson never said the Packers only would have Favre as a backup. He simply indicated Favre would not be anointed the No. 1 quarterback upon his return, and even though Favre probably would be confident he could beat out Rodgers for the job, it's enough uncertainty (and, perhaps, perceived disrespect and unwelcomeness) to believe Favre will continue to pursue opportunities elsewhere.

And yes, I know a lot of you aren't happy about that.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

posted by PackersNews.com at 5:33 PM | 6 Comments

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

BF4MVP
07-14-2008, 10:13 PM

"Favre's welcome back, but the scenery has changed. There may be a different role," Thompson said. "He becomes an active member of the roster, and then we'll see how it goes from there. We don't have the answers right now, because it hasn't happened, and we don't know that it will."

Agreed, Merlin. I don't think TT ever said anything about Brett being a backup, and it's unfortunate that Brett thinks he did....

Merlin
07-14-2008, 10:14 PM

Keep the comments coming, JH and Trojan condoms might want to cast you in their new ad campaign.

Sharp tongue, gotta love it!

PackerTimer
07-14-2008, 10:14 PM
There was absolutely nothing of consequence in this interview. The only thing that was new was that he would have liked to wait until training camp. FUCKING TRAINING CAMP people. How on earth can he say that with a straight face. And before I hear one person say he earned that right, how the hell do you prepare for a season without knowing who will be your starting QB?

I know there are a lot of people who are gonna say he sounded so sincere and honest. To me it was another load of BS. I said this is another thread, for years there were hints that he was pissed about the lack of talent TT brought in and that was a subtle hint for him to leave. After last year that can hardly be said. Now there is a different reason. He was being pushed out by the pressure they put on him to make up his mind. For three years it's been something, now it's just something new.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Merlin and Zig thanks. I also believe I read a rumor/leak that he was going to be the backup if he returned. But if they aren't on the record about that, then there is still room to negotiate.

TT in his initial interview said that he could come back to the team but his role would be different. Then, when the media went nuts on his statement he said that he didn't say backup, that they hadn't decided anything and he'd never dealt with anything like this before.

Fosco33
07-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Just sounded like M3 and TT weren't on the same page.

I bet TT and M3 wanted a quick decision to make plans accordingly... so they ask Brett for one.

Then Brett talks with M3 and says, "I wish I would've had til training camp." - No way in M3's statement. But when Brett talked to TT on June 20th, TT said that would've been fine.

Hmmm. Why is it so hard for all of them to talk and clear it up? Amazing that BF's Packer career could end like this...

Merlin
07-14-2008, 10:17 PM

Agreed, Merlin. I don't think TT ever said anything about Brett being a backup, and I find it kind of disturbing that Brett thinks he did....

Well we don't know exactly what those conversations entailed. I can see where Favre got the impression from if all that was said from Thompson is what he has stated publically. I am sure Favre knows Thompson better then we do. I still believe Thompson in his monotonic, fumbling speech kind of way has not done anything to really clarify his comments to date. From my understanding of what he has said, it sure looks like to me that Favre isn't welcome. I am wishing that tomorrow the Packers clear the air, Brett says my mistake, files his reinstatement papers, and is in camp. Hopefully tomorrow brings us another episode in the saga...

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 10:17 PM

That didn't hurt.

Merlin
07-14-2008, 10:18 PM
There was absolutely nothing of consequence in this interview. The only thing that was new was that he would have liked to wait until training camp. FUCKING TRAINING CAMP people. How on earth can he say that with a straight face. And before I hear one person say he earned that right, how the hell do you prepare for a season without knowing who will be your starting QB?

I know there are a lot of people who are gonna say he sounded so sincere and honest. To me it was another load of BS. I said this is another thread, for years there were hints that he was pissed about the lack of talent TT brought in and that was a subtle hint for him to leave. After last year that can hardly be said. Now there is a different reason. He was being pushed out by the pressure they put on him to make up his mind. For three years it's been something, now it's just something new.

Michael Strahan anyone? He wasn't even in camp while he was deciding. He wasn't a backup come opening day.

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Merlin and Zig thanks. I also believe I read a rumor/leak that he was going to be the backup if he returned. But if they aren't on the record about that, then there is still room to negotiate.

They would be stupid to say anything like that on record

There is one obviously glaring difference

According to Favre at this point they do not want him back
According to TT and the interview it "appears" possible for him to come back...although he used his words wisely

Merlin
07-14-2008, 10:22 PM
True dat Bretsky. But I think (or should I say am hopeful) that he chose them wisely to make sure that Favre was serious about playing again for Green Bay. I agree that Favre has yet to make that statement because he has not asked to be reinstated.

Patler
07-14-2008, 10:25 PM

nope

Was there a question about anything??? - Nope!
Just an awful interview. VanSustern replied for him. If he didn't get it out clearly, she filled it in for him.

She should be embarassed by her performance, in my opinion. It was clearly a Brett Favre fan giving Favre a national podium, not a news reporter/commentator trying to cut through the spin to get down to the facts.

So very many questions that SHOULD be asked.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 10:26 PM
One more thing and then I am done with aspersions, Favre and timelines.

Less than one month after he retired, two separate sources had Cook shopping Favre around to teams. Those rumors reignited in June I believe. Why, in March/April, was Cook shopping his client? June I get because resistance might have been felt.

But in the first timeframe, he had just turned down the opportunity to rejoin the team. What was Cook doing?

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 10:27 PM

nope

Just an awful interview. VanSustern replied for him. If he didn't get it out clearly, she filled it in for him.

She should be embarassed by her performance, in my opinion. It was clearly a Brett Favre fan giving Favre a national podium, not a news reporter/commentator trying to cut through the spin to get down to the facts.

She let him speak; and Part 2 is tomorrow so maybe more juice will come out then. IMO he sounded stronger in his views than he normally does...much stronger.

pbmax
07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Stupid only if they wanted him back. If, as Woodbuck believes, they wanted him gone, that was a statement that seems designed to get Favre to publicly ask to be moved.

It still doesn't make sense, since they can't agree on trade versus release, but if they wanted him to publicly declare a desire to leave, then that might have done it.

According to TT and the interview it "appears" possible for him to come back...although he used his words wisely

SnakeLH2006
07-14-2008, 10:28 PM

:bclap:

I agree, and don't understand all the Favre hate lately. It's getting ridiculous. :?: Seems like a bunch of misinformation from both the Packers Brass/Favre.

Bottom line, I saw both TT and Favre in their media soundoff in the past few days. Yes, Favre's seems bitter, but wouldn't you be too? He didn't sound wishy-washy as many have said on here, and hearing that crap really discourages people to post regularly on here when the same old BS from a few bashers on here gets posted over and over ad nauseum.
:x
I'm holding my tongue till this gets sorted out till I start slinging BS about the greatest player we've seen in the past 2 decades in Green and Gold. Bottom line, I believe Favre WILL be starting this season for GB, when all is said and done.

GBRulz
07-14-2008, 10:30 PM
This Favre stuff is driving a line between Packer fans. I hate that.

Might as well join the political discussions now..lol.

PackerTimer
07-14-2008, 10:30 PM

I agree, and don't understand all the Favre hate lately. It's getting ridiculous. :?: Seems like a bunch of misinformation from both the Packers Brass/Favre.

Bottom line, I saw both TT and Favre in their media soundoff in the past few days. Yes, Favre's seems bitter, but wouldn't you be too? He didn't sound wishy-washy as many have said on here, and hearing that crap really discourages people to post regularly on here when the same old BS from a few bashers on here gets posted over and over ad nauseum.
I'm holding my tongue till this gets sorted out till I start slinging BS about the greatest player we've seen in the past 2 decades in Green and Gold. Bottom line, I believe Favre WILL be starting this season for GB, when all is said and done.

Really I don't mean to be an ass. But what would give you the impression that he'll be GB's starting QB?

pbmax
07-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Well, he is the personality along with the sports star. He can ask for and get that treatment. If T2 had called up Larry King or Oprah or Good Morning America, they would have had to Google him to figure out who he was.

Favre has been staying away from the local reporters for years now, especially since Havel went away. But Wilde, the Press Gazette and McGinn/Silverstein don't get much from him except at news conferences.

nope

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Stupid only if they wanted him back. If, as Woodbuck believes, they wanted him gone, that was a statement that seems designed to get Favre to publicly ask to be moved.

It still doesn't make sense, since they can't agree on trade versus release, but if they wanted him to publicly declare a desire to leave, then that might have done it.

IMO it would be stupid to say that because some fans would rip him; TT knows how to work the media more than some give him credit for.

This is sickening; at this point I just hope he gets moved ....yesterday

Tyrone Bigguns
07-14-2008, 10:34 PM

I have nothing against his support for Rodgers, Harrel, etc. I have a problem with the disrespect showed towards Favre. No real Packer fan would ever talk about one of the greatest players ever, like that.

No real packer fan would disrespect the coach and management as well.

TT is the packer's leader. From day one people have been against him. TT represents the packers organization. The org will be there long after individual players have come and gone.

digitaldean
07-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Maybe Brett felt pressured. But let's look at this from the draft perspective.

TT and M3 must have had the hots for Brohm all along. Why would they have planned on drafting a QB so high if they were unsure if BF would be back? They would've passed on him and just taken Flynn or some other camp arm.

The team does have to plan. Brett was at least honest and told them how he felt. But if he wanted them to wait longer than the draft to make up his mind, he needs to rethink things a little.

I still am irked at some of the special treatment. Skipping OTA's or QB school, that MAY be passable. But waiting on pins and needles until training camp or having the separate locker room shows me a little of a backhanded slap to the team. May not be intentional but it comes across that way.

My employer switched my company's work schedule as of Jan. 1. We were told these were the hours, like it or lump it irregardless how it affected me or my family. I think a lot of athletes need to get shocked a little just like that to realize that someone actually is calling the shots and it's not them. You know, the real world where people can get let go at a moment's notice?!

BF may not like the scenario he's in now, but the past few years of these soap operas have worn thin with management and probably a lot of fans.

pbmax
Agreed on the rips, even the suggestion of the roster shuffle seems to have become the headline out of Saturday's interviews. He would have been better to say its for the coaches to decide and they decide that during TC.

IMO it would be stupid to say that because some fans would rip him; TT knows how to work the media more than some give him credit for.

This is sickening; at this point I just hope he gets moved ....yesterday

green_bowl_packer

nope

I agree with you, whole different interview if it's done by ESPN/NFLN/Peter King/anyone who covers profootball for a living. . .

It was more of a venting by Brett.

Packerarcher
07-14-2008, 10:39 PM

I have said things like this many times about JH. When Rodgers has a shitty season, and Brett is not there to save the Pack we will see how loud and proud JH is TT & Hangnail Rodgers.

PackerTimer
07-14-2008, 10:39 PM

TT is the packer's leader. From day one people have been against him. TT represents the packers organization. The org will be there long after individual players have come and gone.

Really? I thought we were going to fold up the franchise. Funny thing though. When he "retired" on March 3, most people were ok with the future of the team. Most people seemed ok with Rodgers leading the team. Now the team is screwed with the oft injured, won't stay healthy for two games, blah, blah, blah AROD leading the team. Really nothing has changed but now they suck without Favre. I don't get it.

PackerTimer
07-14-2008, 10:41 PM

I have said things like this many times about JH. When Rodgers has a shitty season, and Brett is not there to save the Pack we will see how loud and proud JH is TT & Hangnail Rodgers.

If JH needs to STFU, you aren't far behind him. Your "hangnail" Rodgers crap is tired.

GBRulz
07-14-2008, 10:44 PM

Thank you for that extra special glimpse into your life, but I don't see us disrespecting TT & Co. We may not agree with him at times, but that's a big difference from the constant put downs that some feel the need to do with Favre.

Partial
07-14-2008, 10:45 PM

I'm pretty sure Favre was burned out from working 24/7 on football while A-rod was either getting hurt or out drinking with GBR. Some commitment to the game he has. STFU with your stupid propaganda.

Gunakor
When Rodgers has a shitty season, and Brett is not there to save the Pack we will see how loud and proud JH is TT & Hangnail Rodgers.

Will you even show your face around here anymore when Rodgers has a great season and the Packers are playing at Lambeau in January again this year?

SnakeLH2006

Really I don't mean to be an ass. But what would give you the impression that he'll be GB's starting QB?

Just my 2 cents...but having a job in HR is a boon in reading people. From looking at Favre, and his body language, it really did not seem he was slinging hate on the Pack, so much as he wanted to come off as genuine, which I believe he did. From what he said, the way he talked about the fans, etc....He never said he wouldn't want to play for GB, just he would not be a backup.

As a long as common sense ensues and Favre doesn't say anything too asinine tommorrow, it does not look as bad seeing the interview, as everything written does. I do believe TT wants to start the boatride with AR, but if Favre signs those reinstatement papers, I think he knows enough to sit down and talk it out with the whole team. He's an emotional guy, I think he knows this is fucked up, and I doubt he really wants to alienate GB's fans/his legacy, and personally, I feel there is no way he doesn't play after all this, less the last memories of him are of a bitter, has-been, diva QB that many have been painting him as lately.

Looks like he doesn't want to look like a bad guy...and knows better than to start over at age 39 with a new system....This all comes down to TT and MM accepting him, though. Personally, I'm excited to have AR as our QB, but would welcome Brett back if it happens, and be excited too...Too great options for different reasons.

No real inside info, just a hunch. But on a side note, I'm sick of all the hate going on here with the political divides between Brett and TT. It's gone too far. Granted when I heard Favre could "come back as a backup," I was appalled, but since have regained an even keel on this.

We're all Packer fans. I support MM, TT, Brett, and AR. Go Pack!!

MJZiggy
07-14-2008, 10:46 PM

nope

I agree with you, whole different interview if it's done by ESPN/NFLN/Peter King/anyone who covers profootball for a living. . .

And that's why she got the interview...

PackerTimer
07-14-2008, 10:47 PM

Thank you for that extra special glimpse into your life, but I don't see us disrespecting TT & Co. We may not agree with him at times, but that's a big difference from the constant put downs that some feel the need to do with Favre.

That's funny. Don't get me wrong, I don't know that I can ever recall you disrespecting TT. But he has been soundly disrespected by a number of people.

arcilite
07-14-2008, 10:47 PM

and

Jesus christ this is a big mess right now

GBRulz
07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Really? I thought we were going to fold up the franchise. Funny thing though. When he "retired" on March 3, most people were ok with the future of the team. Most people seemed ok with Rodgers leading the team. Now the team is screwed with the oft injured, won't stay healthy for two games, blah, blah, blah AROD leading the team. Really nothing has changed but now they suck without Favre. I don't get it.

I don't think anyone here has changed their minds into thinking that we're going to suck without Favre. In fact, I think most are supportive of Rodgers and want to put this drama behind us. But...how can we? I hate that it's dividing Packer fans.

Just a lot of emotion lately with Favre. Personally, I am going to hate seeing him with another team. I wish he would just stay retired.

Brando19
07-14-2008, 10:53 PM

nope

She's interviewed Brett before. She's a friend, she's from Green Bay, she's a shareholder, she's a fan. That's why she got the interview. Oh yeah..and it was on a national stage viewed by millions and millions.

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I didn't read the first 7 pages. Anybody talk about how the team will react? Personally, I'm not sure Favre has that much support in the locker room anymore. I think the team will be okay with him getting traded, so I don't see it dividing the locker room or anything.

GBRulz
07-14-2008, 10:54 PM
That's funny. Don't get me wrong, I don't know that I can ever recall you disrespecting TT. But he has been soundly disrespected by a number of people.

Woodbuck comes to mind !!

gex
07-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Well now I guess we should dump Driver and anybody else who ever gave anything of themselves to this franchise and while we are at it tear down the statues of Vince and Curly in the front because loyality and respect for past acomplishments don't fucking mean shit to this new generation of little fuck-wads. :shock:

Partial
What I gather from this is Favre is putting the pressure on them to make a move and make it soon to get everything out of the limelight before he presents Franky.

My guess.. Favre turns in papers, TT publically says come to camp and compete for the spot, may the best man win. Secretly, a handshake is occuring that Favre will be the starter.

TT is probably going to cave eventually because the damage this is doing (the fact that this story has been on the top of espn and all the major sites for days now) to his name and the packer name is just not worth it.

Pacopete4
Harv, I think the team wants the best QB possible back there taking snaps... the thing that cures all is winning and guess who's the winning'est qb of all time....

MJZiggy
07-14-2008, 10:56 PM

nope

She's interviewed Brett before. She's a friend, she's from Green Bay, she's a shareholder, she's a fan. That's why she got the interview. Oh yeah..and it was on a national stage viewed by millions and millions.

Precisely--a friend and a fan who wouldn't hold his feet to the fire if the opportunity came up...

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I didn't read the first 7 pages. Anybody talk about how the team will react? Personally, I'm not sure Favre has that much support in the locker room anymore. I think the team will be okay with him getting traded, so I don't see it dividing the locker room or anything.

My gut tells me the team would welcome him back with open arms
My gut also tells me the team will welcome AROD if he's the starting QB..especially if we win

I think the team would be OK with him traded; they have to be a bit sick of it too

Partial
07-14-2008, 10:58 PM

Really? I disagree. In my opinion, the vets are the guys that call the shots in the locker room, and the vets (Chuck, Al, Chad, Mark, Don) want to win now as they know they'll have limited opportunity.

Not only that, but its not like the offense has completely changed and Favre wouldn't be able to pick it up.

I'm sure the guys aren't happy with Favre and all this crap, but I am sure when push comes to shove they rather have Favre under center than Rodgers, because winning and money are the bottom line, and Favre gives them a better chance at both.

GBRulz
I'm pretty sure Favre was burned out from working 24/7 on football while A-rod was either getting hurt or out drinking with GBR. Some commitment to the game he has. STFU with your stupid propaganda.

I don't even know that he is a drinker. One time he had a beer with us, but other than that I've never seen him with a drink.

Then again, after all this drama he might start....

digitaldean

I listened to an interview on WSSP (ESPN affiliate in Milw.):
http://wssp.radiotown.com/audio/garycliff/ENTIRE%20INTERVIEW.mp3

She stated that Favre wanted to be released to avoid having a divided locker room. I think he could have made his opinion voiced a lot sooner, like when it was announced e wanted to be released.

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Favre's just seems bitter with Thompson for not allowing him to play G.M. Same thing happened in Chicago with Mike Jordan at the end. Kind of funny since the Packers would have had a real hard time signing Rivera and Wahle. (Rivera would have been a bad re-signing since he's proven over the hill since then.) Anybody sad we didn't hire Mooch?

In the transcript, Favre expressed frustration with three incidents in the recent Packers past involving Thompson.

In one instance, Favre told Van Susteren that “I worked my butt off two years ago to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” adding that he was willing to give up salary to land the talented receiver.

But Favre said Thompson denied publicly that Favre had lobbied to get Moss, which Favre said was not the case. Moss signed with the New England Patriots.

In a second instance, Favre said he once tried to convince Thompson to re-sign Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, two key linemen, but the two got away and signed elsewhere.

In a third case, Favre told Van Susteren he tried to convince Thompson to interview Steve Mariucci, an old friend, for the head coaching job vacated by Mike Sherman. Favre said Thompson ended up hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

Partial
07-14-2008, 11:04 PM

I don't even know that he is a drinker. One time he had a beer with us, but other than that I've never seen him with a drink.

I was just trying to make a point. I think you mentioned running into him at Curly's once :D

Partial
07-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Favre's just seems bitter with Thompson for not allowing him to play G.M. Same thing happened in Chicago with Mike Jordan at the end. Kind of funny since the Packers would have had a real hard time signing Rivera and Wahle. (Rivera would have been a bad re-signing since he's proven over the hill since then.) Anybody sad we didn't hire Mooch?

In the transcript, Favre expressed frustration with three incidents in the recent Packers past involving Thompson.

In one instance, Favre told Van Susteren that “I worked my butt off two years ago to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” adding that he was willing to give up salary to land the talented receiver.

But Favre said Thompson denied publicly that Favre had lobbied to get Moss, which Favre said was not the case. Moss signed with the New England Patriots.

In a second instance, Favre said he once tried to convince Thompson to re-sign Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, two key linemen, but the two got away and signed elsewhere.

In a third case, Favre told Van Susteren he tried to convince Thompson to interview Steve Mariucci, an old friend, for the head coaching job vacated by Mike Sherman. Favre said Thompson ended up hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

In retrospect, those are all pretty good moves. The Moss thing would have been nice, but our offense is good enough as is.

Partial
07-14-2008, 11:05 PM

I listened to an interview on WSSP (ESPN affiliate in Milw.):
http://wssp.radiotown.com/audio/garycliff/ENTIRE%20INTERVIEW.mp3

She stated that Favre wanted to be released to avoid having a divided locker room. I think he could have made his opinion voiced a lot sooner, like when it was announced e wanted to be released.

wssp isn't espn, they are the local sports channel. Just pointing it out. Gary and Cliff crack me up daily!

HarveyWallbangers
07-14-2008, 11:06 PM
I sense that most of the players really do believe in Rodgers. I don't believe it's just to help him with his confidence. Just reading comments over the last two years--from "he's ready" comments by Al to "Human Jugs Machine" comments by Jennings to seeing him in practice evry day--I think they think he can get the job done. The guys on the team have seen Favre not at his best in the playoffs. They weren't here when he was at his best. They've also seen him grow more distant from the team, and they also have to be tired of all the drama.

Partial
07-14-2008, 11:08 PM
I sense that most of the players really do believe in Rodgers. I don't believe it's just to help him with his confidence. Just reading comments over the last two years--from "he's ready" comments by Al to "Human Jugs Machine" comments by Jennings to seeing him in practice evry day--I think they think he can get the job done. The guys on the team have seen Favre not at his best in the playoffs. They weren't here when he was at his best. They've also seen him grow more distant from the team, and they also have to be tired of all the drama.

I agree with that, and I do think they have confidence, but I think they're more confident in Favre than the unexperienced QB to get them to the super bowl this year.

GBRulz
07-14-2008, 11:10 PM

I was just trying to make a point. I think you mentioned running into him at Curly's once :D

I've been out with him on a few different occasions. He's a really nice guy. In fact, I think I posted this before on how he mentioned to a friend of mine around last Feb/March that if he wasn't starting this year, he would demand a trade.

In fact, I sometimes wonder if he didn't go to TT with the same feelings, which is why they are so bent on moving forward with him. Heck, I dunno...all this speculation lately is hurting.

Partial
07-14-2008, 11:13 PM

I've been out with him on a few different occasions. He's a really nice guy. In fact, I think I posted this before on how he mentioned to a friend of mine around last Feb/March that if he wasn't starting this year, he would demand a trade.

In fact, I sometimes wonder if he didn't go to TT with the same feelings, which is why they are so bent on moving forward with him. Heck, I dunno...all this speculation lately is hurting.

I would bet my bottom dollar that once the "itch" stuff happened he made it crystal clear that its him or me. I think Favre will be back when all is said and done and Rodgers will be gone or unhappily riding the pine.

Packerarcher
07-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Harv, I think the team wants the best QB possible back there taking snaps... the thing that cures all is winning and guess who's the winning'est qb of all time....

I really would hope that's what the team wants,but are the wants/needs of TT's ego bigger than the team's.

The Shadow
07-14-2008, 11:16 PM

I really would hope that's what the team wants,but is what TT's ego want's bigger.

Yes, a Super Bowl.

GBRulz
07-14-2008, 11:18 PM
I would bet my bottom dollar that once the "itch" stuff happened he made it crystal clear that its him or me. I think Favre will be back when all is said and done and Rodgers will be gone or unhappily riding the pine.

I agree with your first sentence. However, I just don't have the same feeling that Brett will be back. If he would commit for two years, that might be a different story but heck...he can't even commit for more than one year at a time.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Brett said when he talked to MM a week or so ago telling him he wanted to come back, MM huffed and puffed around. Brett said he wasn't ready to decide in March and wished he could have had til Training Camp to decide.

Why should MM be anything but upset when Favre tells him at this ridiculously late date that he wants to come back?

FAvre is acting completely selfish.

Bossman641
07-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Brett said when he talked to MM a week or so ago telling him he wanted to come back, MM huffed and puffed around. Brett said he wasn't ready to decide in March and wished he could have had til Training Camp to decide.

Why should MM be anything but upset when Favre tells him at this ridiculously late date that he wants to come back?

FAvre is acting completely selfish.

HH, don't you understand? This is Brett Favre we are talking about here. They should have sounded the trumpets and rolled out the red carpet. TT and MM each could have kissed the SB ring and then taken to groveling at his feet.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Sounds like if they would have given him until training camp to make his decision, he would be a Packer and all of this would have been avoided.

Unbelievable. How is a team supposed to draft and prepare in the preseason when they don't know who their QB is going to be? This is a completely unreasonable expectation of a Diva. He makes Madonna look like a simple cockney flower girl.

Packerarcher
07-14-2008, 11:30 PM
With all of the supposed lies going down on both sides no one knows who to beleive. I through all of this have sided with Brett,not just because he is arguably the best player to ever put on a Packer uni. Not because of all of his kick ass Qb stats or even his durability. Not even because he would give the Packers the best chance to win this season. But because I BELIEVE him,he isn't doing this as a stunt to make money or for publicity. He JUST WANTS TO PLAY FOOTBALL. He really has nothing to gain by lying. The Packer management however have EVERYTHING to gain by putting thier spin on this. They CAN'T look bad in deals like this,already being in a small market a bad image costs them money with both fans and future player prospects. If this whole deal were over money then brett might have something to lie about,but as I said Green Bay could/is loose money on this. So you all beleive who you want,but I know the Packers management have been far from truthful on this.

DannoMac21
07-14-2008, 11:31 PM
I know the Favre worshipers on this board are going to attack me for this, but whatever...

Favre's a jag. He's Terrell Owens right now. Me and plenty of other insightful NFL fans are losing respect for Favre by the second. Think about what Aaron Rodgers is going through right now? People like to call Ted Thompson dumb for not taking Favre back. And if Favre comes back, we don't win the SB, and Rodgers leaves elsewhere and becomes a stud? Then who's dumb?

The way Favre has handled this is immature. He wanted to come back, we were going to let him, he backs out. Favre's fault. Now people want to blame the Packers for not letting him back when he could've just not retired in the first place? Absolutely unbelievable.

He himself said he wasn't 100% committed. Why do we want someone like that? What is this going to show to all the young players? What's the locker room going to be like?

Jordy Nelson has been catching passes from Aaron Rodgers. He's used to Rodgers. Don't get all these young guys in another new scheme. Aaron Rodgers is going to be damn fine at quarterback. Imagine if the Bears from 2006 had an Aaron Rodgers at QB. We have a complete, young team right now. Leave it that way.

Shut up Brett. You had your chance. Don't be a selfish prick and put more pressure on Rodgers than there already was.

Packerarcher
07-14-2008, 11:33 PM

I really would hope that's what the team wants,but is what TT's ego want's bigger.

Yes, a Super Bowl.

If he wants a Supre Bowl he had better start kissing Favres ASS.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 11:36 PM
I had a hard time with Brett, but I know he's told by everyone close to him that he's earned this right and noboyd needs him there. His dad would have laid into him and told him to show up because if fucking teammates were there and that is what football players do, but his dad is dead and with him left Favres better judgement.

I really think this is going to make Favre a better person and I hope for the best, but at the same time I think the organization made a very tough but very right decision and they have to stick to it. I don't know why I care about this so much but it would seem so wrong for me to strip Aaron of what he worked so hard for and give it to a guy who ddin't even know if he wanted it. If they think Aaron is good and he killed himself to be the starter, you have to give him the chance. IF you think he stinks then I think you might tell him he's just not good enough but I think they think he is good enough and they want to give him the job after all he's done to earn it.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 11:36 PM
My gut tells me the team would welcome him back with open arms
My gut also tells me the team will welcome AROD if he's the starting QB..especially if we win

I think the team would be OK with him traded; they have to be a bit sick of it too

I agree with this, I don't think the team is a tenth as upset as the fans.

I was listening to an interview with John Clayton on the radio. His contacts tell him there is not a single team in the AFC with any interest in Favre whatsoever. I don't know if this will prove true, but it tells us two things:

1) Favre is not the hot commodity that fans see him as. Professional evaluators see him as risky because of his age and instability.

2) TT really is between a rock and hard place. This is more of a mess than I had been thinking. If Clayton is correct, I see a chance of Favre being on the team, either as a starter or frustrated backup, simply because it is the least bad option. Of course it could work out OK, but what a shotgun wedding.

GrnBay007
07-14-2008, 11:37 PM
But because I BELIEVE him,he isn't doing this as a stunt to make money or for publicity. He JUST WANTS TO PLAY FOOTBALL. He really has nothing to gain by lying. The Packer management however have EVERYTHING to gain by putting thier spin on this. They CAN'T look bad in deals like this,already being in a small market a bad image costs them money with both fans and future player prospects.

Throughout this whole deal, this IS the best post I've read!!!! When you have two sides to a story you always look at which side has the most to gain OR lose. I think from what we've heard it's pretty obvious.

Bossman641
07-14-2008, 11:38 PM

Yes, a Super Bowl.

You know who needs to kiss ass? Favre

About the only way I would let him on the team is if he PERSONALLY spoke to TT and MM and ackowledged how poorly he has acted in all of this. He needs to own up, and then also address the team and clear the air with them.

Is it gonna happen? No, because he's Favre and there's probably nobody around him to speak up to him about this.

I still can't believe there are people who believe TT and MM should be kissing Favre's ass and begging him to come back.

Bossman641
07-14-2008, 11:41 PM
With all of the supposed lies going down on both sides no one knows who to beleive. I through all of this have sided with Brett,not just because he is arguably the best player to ever put on a Packer uni. Not because of all of his kick ass Qb stats or even his durability. Not even because he would give the Packers the best chance to win this season. But because I BELIEVE him,he isn't doing this as a stunt to make money or for publicity. He JUST WANTS TO PLAY FOOTBALL. He really has nothing to gain by lying. The Packer management however have EVERYTHING to gain by putting thier spin on this. They CAN'T look bad in deals like this,already being in a small market a bad image costs them money with both fans and future player prospects. If this whole deal were over money then brett might have something to lie about,but as I said Green Bay could/is loose money on this. So you all beleive who you want,but I know the Packers management have been far from truthful on this.

Question? When did he "WANT TO PLAY FOOTBALL" again? Late June?

Sorry, but I believe the Packers' organization. Favre and Co. have already been caught in lies. You don't see the detailed responses from Favre camp that you see from the organization. I'll take TT and MM's word.

DannoMac21
07-14-2008, 11:42 PM

Yes, a Super Bowl.

You know who needs to kiss ass? Favre

About the only way I would let him on the team is if he PERSONALLY spoke to TT and MM and ackowledged how poorly he has acted in all of this. He needs to own up, and then also address the team and clear the air with them.

Is it gonna happen? No, because he's Favre and there's probably nobody around him to speak up to him about this.

I still can't believe there are people who believe TT and MM should be kissing Favre's ass and begging him to come back.

Couldn't have said it better. Awesome statement.

Like Darren Woodson said "Packers should trade him so they don't have to deal with this same mess again in the future."

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 11:48 PM
But because I BELIEVE him,he isn't doing this as a stunt to make money or for publicity. He JUST WANTS TO PLAY FOOTBALL. He really has nothing to gain by lying. The Packer management however have EVERYTHING to gain by putting thier spin on this. They CAN'T look bad in deals like this,already being in a small market a bad image costs them money with both fans and future player prospects.

Throughout this whole deal, this IS the best post I've read!!!! When you have two sides to a story you always look at which side has the most to gain OR lose. I think from what we've heard it's pretty obvious.

I might be missing something, but I didn't hear Favre say anything that really directly contradicted TT's statements. Favre said "they said they don't want me back", well undoubtably that was the team's attitude on June 20. (Favre convienently glosses over that they previously accepted him back, and he changed his mind.) TT's recent public statement is that they will accept him back on the team, but he's very cool and ambigous about the terms. The possibility of a trade or backup role is left open. Well, that also accurately reflects TT's positon.

FAvre truly has NOTHING to whine about. The team has been straight with him. I suspect if TT had an AFC team to trade Favre to, that would just happen. But TT is stuck, and FAvre put the team in this situation. AND FAVRE REFUSES TO TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR CREATING THE MESS.

Deputy Nutz
07-14-2008, 11:51 PM
His interview just makes everything more fucked up.

Regardless of everything said, Favre has the right to play football. They either need to accept him in Green Bay, or trade his rights. I am selfish and I don't want to see him play for another team, but they can't just shut him down. Give him his helmet or trade him.

Outside of that, he was hurt, McCarthey told him he can't play in Green Bay, but they refuse to envision him playing somewhere else. If that is the case that is pretty low on the Packers end. According to Favre, McCarthey just kept trying to talk Favre out of returning, along with James Campen.

I guess I am trying to put words into feelings right now and nothing is seeming to fit. Brett is hurt and offended, and I understand what he is saying. On the other hand he easily pushes everything off on the Packers outside of his retiring early, but then states, there is a reason for that, they wanted a decision in March. They made him do it according to Favre,

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If Favre is accepted back to the Packers I don't for see him doing very well in 2008. I honestly don't see the commitment he is talking about. I see more bitterness and anger than I see a quarterback wanting to get to the Super Bowl.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 11:51 PM
YOu're right on, HH. They didn't contridict at all. The Packers told it in a very direct, easy to follow timeline way and Brett told it to fit what would make him look best in that he wasn't waffling but they didn't want him to begin with. What Favre said is what they said. They were willing to take him if he was committed and when he finially was committed, they had made a decision to move forward. It is tough. I'm sure it's hard as all hell on Favre, but it's not some conspiracy against him. It's just a really bad situation that he in large part brought on himself.

Bretsky
07-14-2008, 11:52 PM

I might be missing something, but I didn't hear Favre say anything that really directly contradicted TT's statements. Favre said "they said they don't want me back", well undoubtably that was the team's attitude on June 20. (Favre convienently glosses over that they previously accepted him back, and he changed his mind.) TT's recent public statement is that they will accept him back on the team, but he's very cool and ambigous about the terms. The possibility of a trade or backup role is left open. Well, that also accurately reflects TT's positon.

FAvre truly has NOTHING to whine about. The team has been straight with him. I suspect if TT had an AFC team to trade Favre to, that would just happen. But TT is stuck, and FAvre put the team in this situation. AND FAVRE REFUSES TO TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR CREATING THE MESS.

I think the point was that the Packers told the media they will take him back but told him they will not.........well, my summation in a nutshell

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 11:55 PM
The Packers were pretty much going through whta Nutz is. They're hoping he doesn't really want to play with someone else and trying to talk him into it a little. They probably don't want to face him and they definitly don't want to lose him as a permanent member of the Packers. I think they value their legacy adn he's a big part of it. He's stood for a lot of good things so I think they respect him as well.

That said, when push comes to shove I think they have to do the right thing and trade him if he really wants it. TT said anything is possible even if you never thought it was. I think that anything is FAvre being traded even though they never pictured doing that.

RashanGary
07-14-2008, 11:57 PM
I think the point was that the Packers told the media they will take him back but told him they will not.........well, my summation in a nutshell

That's how Favre tried to make it look but nothing he said showed they were dishonest. He said June 20th was when he was told no. That is consistant with the whole waffling that the Packers described when they made their decision to move forward.

Bossman641
07-14-2008, 11:57 PM

Regardless of everything said, Favre has the right to play football. They either need to accept him in Green Bay, or trade his rights. I am selfish and I don't want to see him play for another team, but they can't just shut him down. Give him his helmet or trade him.

Outside of that, he was hurt, McCarthey told him he can't play in Green Bay, but they refuse to envision him playing somewhere else. If that is the case that is pretty low on the Packers end. According to Favre, McCarthey just kept trying to talk Favre out of returning, along with James Campen.

I guess I am trying to put words into feelings right now and nothing is seeming to fit. Brett is hurt and offended, and I understand what he is saying. On the other hand he easily pushes everything off on the Packers outside of his retiring early, but then states, there is a reason for that, they wanted a decision in March. They made him do it according to Favre,

If Favre is accepted back to the Packers I don't for see him doing very well in 2008. I honestly don't see the commitment he is talking about. I see more bitterness and anger than I see a quarterback wanting to get to the Super Bowl.

What's conveniently left out here is any explanation of why he tried to come back and was welcomed and then backed out days later.

Harlan Huckleby
07-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Outside of that, he was hurt, McCarthey told him he can't play in Green Bay, but they refuse to envision him playing somewhere else. If that is the case that is pretty low on the Packers end.

Oh come on, don't buy this BS. McCArthy may have said he didn't want to see him play elsewhere, but it is CLEARLY not the intent of the team to block him. TT asked Favre for a list of teams he wanted to play for. The team has no interest or ability to prevent Favre from playing football, a trade is in the team's interest too.

This was cheap propoganda on Favre's part.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 12:00 AM

What's conveniently left out here is any explanation of why he tried to come back and was welcomed and then backed out days later.

That comes in part two tomorrow night.

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 12:05 AM

That comes in part two tomorrow night.

I hope so, but I doubt it. I see a lot of softball lobs that give Favre a chance to put his side out there without having to address specific things TT, MM, and the organization have said. I hope I'm wrong though.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 12:11 AM
I had a hard time with Brett, but I know he's told by everyone close to him that he's earned this right and noboyd needs him there. His dad would have laid into him and told him to show up because if fucking teammates were there and that is what football players do, but his dad is dead and with him left Favres better judgement.

I really think this is going to make Favre a better person and I hope for the best, but at the same time I think the organization made a very tough but very right decision and they have to stick to it. I don't know why I care about this so much but it would seem so wrong for me to strip Aaron of what he worked so hard for and give it to a guy who ddin't even know if he wanted it. If they think Aaron is good and he killed himself to be the starter, you have to give him the chance. IF you think he stinks then I think you might tell him he's just not good enough but I think they think he is good enough and they want to give him the job after all he's done to earn it.

Lets have a serious discussion without any name calling here. First Aaron Rodgers was given the starting job in Green Bay when Favre left. Rodgers didn't beat Favre out for the job. I am not saying he hasn't worked hard at becoming a starting quarterback, I am sure he has, but he hasn't proven that he deserves the job yet. three quarters against Dallas doesn't prove anything at this point.

Rodgers hasn't done anything wrong, but at the same time, I would respect Rodgers and the Packers much, much more if they put an end to this situation with simply inviting Favre back to Green Bay to compete against Aaron Rodgers for the starting QB job. It is simple if Rodgers can defeat Brett Favre in training camp for the starting position then he deserves everything the Packers give him. I personally would back Rodgers, and I think it will actually help his career. It would be like the younger brother finally beating his older brother in competition.

If the Packers maintain their current course of action Aaron Rodgers will have a very tough time ever winning over the majority of Packer fans, simply because he was being protected by the Packers organization from Brett Favre. Simple if Aaron Rodgers can't beat out a 38 year old, soon to be 39 year old Brett Favre, then he simply doesn't deserve to be the Packers starting QB.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 12:12 AM
ball licker

The Shadow
07-15-2008, 12:13 AM

Yes, a Super Bowl.

Favre has had his ass kissed for far too long. Now, he's encountered a GM with the cajones to stand up for the team concept - and he's pouting.
Yes, there will be bumps along the road with a new young quarterback, but many of us are more than willing to endure that over a primadonna who has his own glory and welfare as the top priority.

Carolina_Packer
07-15-2008, 12:14 AM

Michael Strahan anyone? He wasn't even in camp while he was deciding. He wasn't a backup come opening day.

You know this already, but it's worth pointing out...Strayhan never held a press conference to retire, and a team would probably never put that kind of pressure on a DE to give a commitment like they would a QB.

I wonder why Brett never mentioned his wanting to wait until training camp to the management (and before June). If MM"s answer (according to Favre) is correct, then it sounds like they might have given him that leverage, but he never asked. Your boss can ask you to finish an assignment in a set amount of time, but it's not beyond the employee to ask for more time if they wish to. You can't get what you don't ask for in the first place. What would they have done at the time. Sorry Brett, we don't like that answer, so we're going to release you or trade you. Nah! That wasn't likely, so why didn't he ask for it before he retired? Crazy communication.

His personal indecision put the Packers in a tough spot and he knows that. Did he just expect that once he finally became certain they were just going to let him right back in? I wonder if he did think that. They could have played it that way. They could have said, let's prepare for Brett not to be here, but also prepare Rodgers to think that Brett might come back. Not sure how that would have played out. They still could have drafted Brohm. When you have one guy who you're not sure is going to be there for you, you don't want to be left holding the bag if he decides before training camp to call it a career. I can see both sides. I just hope that fences can be mended still and that if he asks for reinstatement and when after that the Packers put him back on the active roster, they also tell him he can compete for the starting job back. Just not sure how that works when Brett hasn't had to compete for the job since his first years.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Favre has had his ass kissed for far too long. Now, he's encountered a GM with the cajones to stand up for the team concept - and he's pouting.
Yes, there will be bumps along the road with a new young quarterback, but many of us are more than willing to endure that over a primadonna who has his own glory and welfare as the top priority.

I don't disagree wiith what you say. But if the Packers can't arrange a trade outside of the division, they will be forced to make nice with FAvre.

I'm seeing this as a likely scenario now.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 12:16 AM
If they're going to battle, they should keep the main offense geared toward Rodgers now. They should have the majority of the snaps with the rolling pockets and stretch runs that will be set up by the moving pockets. They should continue as they did in the off season.

If Brett can come in with the 2nd unit and does better than Rodgers does with the first then I think Rodgers has a shorter leash. If Rodgers really stinks I think Favre should have it. If it's hard to tell then I think Rodgers should have the job until he proves he fails in the season. Right now I think it's Aaron's job to lose and Favre's job to earn back. Favre left. NOw he has to earn his way back in, in a three week camp. If he can't then he has to hope Rodgers fails in the season.

GrnBay007
07-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Rodgers hasn't done anything wrong, but at the same time, I would respect Rodgers and the Packers much, much more if they put an end to this situation with simply inviting Favre back to Green Bay to compete against Aaron Rodgers for the starting QB job. It is simple if Rodgers can defeat Brett Favre in training camp for the starting position then he deserves everything the Packers give him. I personally would back Rodgers, and I think it will actually help his career. It would be like the younger brother finally beating his older brother in competition.

If the Packers maintain their current course of action Aaron Rodgers will have a very tough time ever winning over the majority of Packer fans, simply because he was being protected by the Packers organization from Brett Favre. Simple if Aaron Rodgers can't beat out a 38 year old, soon to be 39 year old Brett Favre, then he simply doesn't deserve to be the Packers starting QB.

Freak Out
07-15-2008, 12:19 AM
I really want #4 to come back and play in GB but if M3 and TT don't want him now so be it. Trade or release him.....whatever. Give him the chance to ride it out...if it ends badly....that's just how life goes sometimes.....but if Rodgers stinks it up or goes down the peasants will rise up and draw and quarter TT and drag whats left of him through the streets of GB.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 12:19 AM
the problem with this scenario is that you would have the mother of all QB controversies if Rogers were to beat-out Favre.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 12:21 AM
If they're going to battle, they should keep the main offense geared toward Rodgers now. They should have the majority of the snaps with the rolling pockets and stretch runs that will be set up by the moving pockets. They should continue as they did in the off season.

If Brett can come in with the 2nd unit and do better than Rodgers does with the first then I think Favre should have it. If Rodgers really stinks I think Favre should have it. If it's hard to tell then I think Rodgers should have the job until he proves he fails in the season. Right now I think it's Aaron's job to lose and Favre's job to earn back.

But why is it Rodgers job to lose? He never took it from Favre to begin with. Sorry I don't buy the whole regeared offense the Packers have been feeding to the media. Sure they made adjustments, or tweaks for a younger QB, maybe one that is a little more mobile, but maybe one that isn't as aware in the pocket.

McCarthy really thinks he needs to dramatically change his offense from last year he needs to be fired as the Packers Head Coach immediately.

Freak Out
07-15-2008, 12:21 AM

I agree with the Nutzter 100 percent. Well done.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 12:22 AM
the problem with this scenario is that you would have the mother of all QB controversies if Rogers were to beat-out Favre.

Honestly if Favre had a fair shot at winning the job and failed, I think he would walk away from the game.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 12:23 AM
But why is it Rodgers job to lose? He never took it from Favre to begin with. Sorry I don't buy the whole regeared offense the Packers have been feeding to the media. Sure they made adjustments, or tweaks for a younger QB, maybe one that is a little more mobile, but maybe one that isn't as aware in the pocket.

If McCarthy wants Rodgers as his QB, that's his call.

And if Favre is such a sure thing, why isn't it easy to trade him?

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 12:24 AM

Honestly if Favre had a fair shot at winning the job and failed, I think he would walk away from the game.

would Sports Illustrated print another retirement issue?

GrnBay007
07-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Favre has had his ass kissed for far too long.
Your opinion.
I will admit that it did appear he got special treatment during the Sherman years, but other than that, no.

Now, he's encountered a GM with the cajones to stand up for the team concept - and he's pouting.

Have any ideas what this big cajones-loaded GM will do IF Rodgers doesn't pan out?

Or are you like some of the others......it doesn't really matter as long at the big cajones GM made a stand? Is anyone even looking at this anymore as who is the best QB?

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 12:26 AM

Lets have a serious discussion without any name calling here. First Aaron Rodgers was given the starting job in Green Bay when Favre left. Rodgers didn't beat Favre out for the job. I am not saying he hasn't worked hard at becoming a starting quarterback, I am sure he has, but he hasn't proven that he deserves the job yet. three quarters against Dallas doesn't prove anything at this point.

Never gonna happen. Even if Rodgers won, do you think most Favre fans would see it as a fair competition? Hell no, they'd be complaining and booing Rodgers every chance they get. It would just create another "Rodgers is TT's pet" situation.

Not to mention Favre. How kindly do you think he'd take to being a backup QB? Do you think he'd be doing the little things a good backup is supposed to be doing: looking over pictures, giving advice, and supporting the starter? Something tells me No.

GrnBay007
07-15-2008, 12:28 AM

True he's the HC but the fact is the Packers are still owned by the fans....the shareholders. Maybe they should take a vote in all this. :D :wink:

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 12:28 AM

And if Favre is such a sure thing, why isn't it easy to trade him?

Whats your fucking point?

McCarthy at this point thinks Rodgers is his starting quarterback, duh!!! Otherwise we wouldn't have 129 different Brett Favre threads.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Never gonna happen. Even if Rodgers won, do you think most Favre fans would see it as a fair competition? Hell no, they'd be complaining and booing Rodgers every chance they get. It would just create another "Rodgers is TT's pet" situation.

Not to mention Favre. How kindly do you think he'd take to being a backup QB? Do you think he'd be doing the little things a good backup is supposed to be doing: looking over pictures, giving advice, and supporting the starter? Something tells me No.

You're right.

I think Thompson wants to trade Favre but can't.

Favre is going to be the starter for GB on opening day.

In the world of second choices, I guess that ain't so bad.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Nutz, I know it's hard for you to fathom, but a part of the Packers decision here is a football decision. I know you're stubborn as fuck and you don't wnat to ever admit you missed something but I really believe the Packers actions speak to their confidence in Rodgers and Rodgers play backs it up. He kicks ass every time he's given a chance. I think they're smart people as it relates to football, smarter than you (no insult intended).

I think you're going to be suprised at how little drop off there is from Favre to Rodgers and when you see this offense kicking ass, just remember I told you so because I know you won't want to here it when it happens.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 12:32 AM

True he's the HC but the fact is the Packers are still owned by the fans....the shareholders. Maybe they should take a vote in all this. :D :wink:

I think McCarthy wants to go with Rodgers. That's obvious from the response that Favre got from him.

I think the fans should respect that choice, its not an easy decision, and MM has earned the right to make it.

However, I sense that the practical realities are going to lead to the Packers going with Favre as their starter.

The Shadow
07-15-2008, 12:33 AM

If you were going in for an operation, would you ask the doctor to take a vote amongst all hospital staff on how to proceed?
How about an airline pilot who takes a vote among passengers on how best to fly the plane?
I think Packer Nation should let the people hired for the job DO their job. After all, their livelihoods depend on results - I really don't think they are trying to 'ruin' the Green Bay Packers.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 12:33 AM

Well I guess you have all the answers and regardless for at least the next year Rodgers is in a lose/lose situation. Anything he does, Favre could have done better, at least in my grand scheme Thompson won't lose his job if Rodgers completely fails or gets injured.

Like I said, Rodgers needs to be able to beat Favre head to head, especially now since Favre has dramatically stated that he wanted to return to Green Bay and has been turned away by the head coach.

Rodgers is already the protected son of Thompson, that much is now evident after Brett's interview.

Carolina_Packer
07-15-2008, 12:35 AM
At some point, a person has to take responsibility for their actions and accept the consequences and deal with it from there. Favre retired because that was his honest answer at that point. If he felt pressured to do so, and needed more time, he should have named a time-table to the team and delayed retirement knowing that he was still up in the air about playing.

Now that he has come around to the idea of playing again a month before training camp, and after a few attempts to find out if he is really, really, really retired, and with no 100 commitment from him until recently, who would really expect that someone wouldn't move on? Why doesn't he see the position he put the team in with is his indecision enough to say, well, if I do come back, I gotta accept what they say and the best I can hope for is to compete for my job back? Did he honestly just EXPECT that once he was ready they would not only welcome him back, but name him as the starter.

The biggest thing that needs to get hammered out here (once he is formally reinstated) is for them to go over the terms of his return and to let him know if there is a chance of him becoming the starter again. If they play it cool and won't commit to letting him compete for the starters job, then I think it becomes a big headache, and that's where I would start to think, why bring him back at all if you're not going to let him compete for the starter's job? Once camp starts, let all the focus and energy be on getting ready for the season, not dealing with frustration from both sides. Iron it out ASAP, and move forward either way.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Rodgers doesn't have a ton of opportunities, but every time he was given a chance last preseason and season he outperformed Brett.

He put up better numbers in the preseason and then played much better than Favre in Dallas.

Favre is so accomplished that it's hard for people to imagine Rodgers can be better but Favre is also 39 and he was playing with a pretty damn talented group of players last year and a pretty damn clever offensive coach. The Packers obviously believe very strongly in Rodgers. I think he can play as well as Favre did last year and I know that was a big year, but I believe that the Packers know how to make decisions and they would not cut off their nose to spite their face. The Packers are making this move because their roster is ready not because they love drama and love losing.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Nutz, I know it's hard for you to fathom, but a part of the Packers decision here is a football decision. I know you're stubborn as fuck and you don't wnat to ever admit you missed something but I really believe the Packers actions speak to their confidence in Rodgers and Rodgers play backs it up. He kicks ass every time he's given a chance. I think they're smart people as it relates to football, smarter than you (no insult intended).

I think you're going to be suprised at how little drop off there is from Favre to Rodgers and when you see this offense kicking ass, just remember I told you so because I know you won't want to here it when it happens.

He has kicked ass when? Really when? One regular season game, and in the 2007 preseason he finally looked like he could play in the NFL. Outside of that he looked absolutely miserable in his previous two preseasons, and he did nothing but get hurt in his second year against the Pats. What else am I missing. He did play sparingly his first season against Balitmore, and that was pretty poor, not that anyone has remembered.

Again I am not trying to hate on Rodgers, I hope he really does play well, and I think he has the talent to do so, but your above post is so way off it is not even funny. If the Packers actually opened up the competition with Favre and Rodgers it would be much closer than many would think.

So again what did I miss? Rodgers has played what I call reasonably well in one regular season game.

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 12:44 AM

Well I guess you have all the answers and regardless for at least the next year Rodgers is in a lose/lose situation. Anything he does, Favre could have done better, at least in my grand scheme Thompson won't lose his job if Rodgers completely fails or gets injured.

Like I said, Rodgers needs to be able to beat Favre head to head, especially now since Favre has dramatically stated that he wanted to return to Green Bay and has been turned away by the head coach.

Rodgers is already the protected son of Thompson, that much is now evident after Brett's interview.

I don't have all the answers.

I'm just saying, it's not as easy as : Favre comes back and wins back his job and plays, or loses his job and either retires or happily backs up Rodgers. Maybe in a Disney movie that would work, but there's no way Favre and his rabid fan base would let that happen.

GrnBay007
07-15-2008, 12:45 AM
If you were going in for an operation, would you ask the doctor to take a vote amongst all hospital staff on how to proceed?

No, but if I had doubts, I'd surely ask for a second or maybe third opinion. Why are so many convinced the Packers are taking the right path in this situation? Like I said before, from what we've heard so far what camp has the most to win or lose from what's been said? There are huge salaries and egos at stake.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 12:45 AM

I don't have all the answers.

I'm just saying, it's not as easy as : Favre comes back and wins back his job and plays, or loses his job and either retires or happily backs up Rodgers. Maybe in a Disney movie that would work, but there's no way Favre and his rabid fan base would let that happen.

So instead you black ball him from playing?

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Nutz, you don't have to criticize others opinions to make yoru points. If they're good enough they'll stand on their own. That is a tactic of someone who's affraid to argue the points.

To the points, Rodgers played better than Favre last preseason adn better in the Dallas game when he took over. Rodgers looked poised, ready and maybe the best player on the field if you go by the 3 quarters that he did play.

Say what you will, but the Packers have more than 4 preseason games and one game that he ouplayed Brett in. They have years of practice and years of coaching/personnel experience. 95% of my opinino comes because I think they know what they're doing and know what a QB is supposed to look like and 5% comes from the fact that he outperformed Brett ever time he was given a chance last year.

Argue the points without the name calling and we can go somewhere. Shwo me why you think MM is unqualified to make this type of decison. Show me how TT is unqualified to make this type of decision. Show me that Rodgers ddin't play great last year. All are relevant points and all point to the possiblity that Rodgers could be everything Favre was last year. You don't even want to consider it though. LIke I said, when it happens I'll be happy to have a conversation as to why I saw it coming but you'll probably back track and give credit to the WR's, GRant, Jackson and the improved line.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 12:48 AM

Could you be full of any more shit? I don't think so.

The packers have absolutely no ability to black-ball Favre. That is silly propaganda.

GrnBay007
07-15-2008, 12:49 AM

That appears to be the TT way........at least so far.

You don't want him, release him!!!

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 12:52 AM

The packers have absolutely no ability to black-ball Favre. That is silly propaganda.

Why are you even talking football there is an election in three months.

Well lets answer your stupid little question, how can they black ball him. Refuse to let him compete as for a starting position with their team, and then refuse to trade him or release him. Sit on him until he has no other choice but to go away. Sure the Commish could get involved like Tags did with the Owens situation years ago, but I think that is a very slim chance.

Harlan Huckleby

That appears to be the TT way........at least so far.

You don't want him, release him!!!

you have really drunk deeply of the Favre kool aide.

It is not practical to release him. They are going to trade him or keep him on the roster.

BTW, I don't recall you being in favor of granting Javon Walker an unconditional release when he felt unloved and unhappy.

RashanGary
They hoped he would stay retired, but now that he is not they'll do the right thing. They're not going to release him but if a team other than Minny and Chicago want him they'll find a way to get him his wish. If Minny or Chicago want him then he's stuck and probably shouldn't have signed the contract because the Packers do have a job to do that involves beating teh Vikings and Bears.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 12:53 AM

Well lets answer your stupid little question, how can they black ball him. Refuse to let him compete as for a starting position with their team, and then refuse to trade him or release him. Sit on him until he has no other choice but to go away. Sure the Commish could get involved like Tags did with the Owens situation years ago, but I think that is a very slim chance.

When did they ever refuse to trade him? When did they ever say he could'nt compete for a job?

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 12:54 AM

When did they ever refuse to trade him? When did they ever say he could'nt compete for a job?

there has been no mention of a trade or opening up competition for him as the starter.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Well lets answer your stupid little question, how can they black ball him. Refuse to let him compete as for a starting position with their team, and then refuse to trade him or release him. Sit on him until he has no other choice but to go away.

This is a funny definition of a "black ball": pay somebody 12M dollars to sit on your bench, then treat them like shit so they become a team cancer.

Wish somebody would black ball me! And I'm not talking about interracial sex.

The scenario you paint is totally ridiculous, counter productive for the team, and not going to happen.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 12:57 AM
When did they say the wouldn't trade him? When did they say they wouldn't let him compete?

Use your head, Nutz. Sometimes it works better than your heart.

GrnBay007
07-15-2008, 12:57 AM
They hoped he would stay retired, but now that he is not they'll do the right thing. They're not going to release him but if a team other than Minny and Chicago want him they'll find a way to get him his wish. If Minny or Chicago want him then he's stuck and probably shouldn't have signed the contract because the Packers do have a job to do that involves beating teh Vikings and Bears.

They hoped he would stay retired........well, sorry, their dreams didn't come true. If they don't want him, which would mean they believe Rodgers is BETTER, then why would they object to ANY team getting him? Rodgers is the man, according to Packer management, why would they fear BF with the Bears or Vikings would be a threat???????

They don't want him.....let him go.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 12:58 AM

They hoped he would stay retired........well, sorry, their dreams didn't come true. If they don't want him, which would mean they believe Rodgers is BETTER, then why would they object to ANY team getting him? Rodgers is the man, according to Packer management, why would they fear BF with the Bears or Vikings would be a threat???????

Again, why weren't you in favor of granting Javon Walker an unconditional release?

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 01:00 AM
In one of the internet Greta reports they said they asked Favre what teams he wanted to be traded to. Maybe it's in part two. Not that it even matters because I think this whole blackballing thing is makebelieve anyway, but if they asked that then there really is no doubt (not that common sense shouldn't have alleviated it anyway)

GrnBay007
07-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Again, why weren't you in favor of granting Javon Walker an unconditional release?

The whole Walker thing was about MONEY. Have we heard Favre mention ANYTHING about money? NO................he just wants to PLAY. Damn, I never thought I'd hear Packer fans complain about a HOF QB just want to play and be REJECTED. Friends/relatives have called.....even BEAR fans, and said what the hell is going on in GB that they don't want Favre. It's really not that complicated.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 01:02 AM

It's a buisness. If he has value they are going to get it and he's also a good QB. TT called him a first team all pro that can play for a couple three years more. He's obviously not chickenshit, they just moved forward with their starting QB position. Why not release Brady Poppinga or James JOnes. They're not starting either and I'm sure they just want to play too.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 01:06 AM
When did they say the wouldn't trade him? When did they say they wouldn't let him compete?

You seriously want to talk shit? I am the only one using my head, either everyone is all fuckng pissed and angry at Favre for fucking with their emotions, or they are out protesting in front of Lambeau to bring Favre back.

At no point has Thompson said anything about competition, or a trade, his only comment has been that the Packers have no intention of releasing him. So you get your shit straight. Remember no mention as of yet on any of the above, we have heard that they will take him back as long as he is willing to be a back up. I don't know the truth to that, Thompson hasn't come out and said it. Favre did say it in his interview.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 01:07 AM
:lol:

As soon as a player loses his starting spot you don't release him on the spot if he says he wants to play :) :)

Even if he's all pissed off, you don't do that. It happens all of the time in sports. It sucks, but someitmes when this much money is involved it gets a little crazy.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 01:08 AM

The whole Walker thing was about MONEY. Have we heard Favre mention ANYTHING about money? NO................he just wants to PLAY. Damn, I never thought I'd hear Packer fans complain about a HOF QB just want to play and be REJECTED. Friends/relatives have called.....even BEAR fans, and said what the hell is going on in GB that they don't want Favre. It's really not that complicated.

ACtually it is very complicated. FAvre was only rejected after a long series of attempts to bring him back. By July, the team had moved on. The team was extremely patient with Favre's waffling. And now you have swallowed Favre's self-pity story, hook line and sinker, that he was brutally rejected.

RashanGary

You seriously want to talk shit? I am the only one using my head, either everyone is all fuckng pissed and angry at Favre for fucking with their emotions, or they are out protesting in front of Lambeau to bring Favre back.

At no point has Thompson said anything about competition, or a trade, his only comment has been that the Packers have no intention of releasing him. So you get your shit straight. Remember no mention as of yet on any of the above, we have heard that they will take him back as long as he is willing to be a back up. I don't know the truth to that, Thompson hasn't come out and said it. Favre did say it in his interview.

Is this the only way you know how to talk to poeple? We can go dig up the things you said and the things I refuted and you'll still be wrong but I don't care to and quite frankly this conversation is over if you can't talk to me with a little more respect than you are.

Deputy Nutz
Well lets answer your stupid little question, how can they black ball him. Refuse to let him compete as for a starting position with their team, and then refuse to trade him or release him. Sit on him until he has no other choice but to go away.

This is a funny definition of a "black ball": pay somebody 12M dollars to sit on your bench, then treat them like shit so they become a team cancer.

Wish somebody would black ball me! And I'm not talking about interracial sex.

The scenario you paint is totally ridiculous, counter productive for the team, and not going to happen.

Favre isn't doing this for 12 million dollars. Favre isn't going to show up in Green Bay to prove a point numbnuts. If he doesn't have the word of McCarthy that he would get a fair shot at the starting position, he isn't going to show up. At least I would hope not.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Oh gawd, Nutz. Don't be so damn dramatic.

The Packers said they don't wnat him to come out of retirement. He still has a choice. Favre isn't Thompson's gimp locked in teh basement getting molested.

Fuck, dude. Get a grip

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 01:11 AM
nutz, "black ball" means prevent someone from working professionally.

what you have described, and i don't know if it even true, is that MM has simply soured on Favre and doesn't want him QBing his team.

That is not a black ball. That is simply McCarthy exercising his judgement as he is entitled to.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 01:12 AM
I don't think MM even really said he doesn't want him as his QB.. he basically said that it would be hard to pull the rug out from Arod now that he's gone thru mini camps and that stuff... everyone needs to quit putting their own twists on things..

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 01:17 AM

Is this the only way you know how to talk to poeple? We can go dig up the things you said and the things I refuted and you'll still be wrong but I don't care to and quite frankly this conversation is over if you can't talk to me with a little more respect than you are.

Simply you are the one taking shots, And if you think I actually need to have a conversation with you about this situation you are fucking delusional. Sorry but I would rather ride the Favre Bandwagon than the Aaron Rodgers one, sorry. And why the fuck would I be wrong? You have attached your wagon to the unproven commodity regardless on how much ass you think he has already kicked, laughable, simply laughable, almost as funny as your little mathematical experiment you tried this past winter.

There will come a time that Favre will no longer be able to play at an acceptable level, has that time come yet? Nope, sorry it hasn't. Can he play better and give the Packers a better shot than Rodgers? Probable, but he is 38, age is a motherfucker. He is coming off an NFC Championship appearance, and runner up as the NFL MVP. He hasn't suffered any serious injuries that would effect his mobility or his throwing ability outside of his age. Rodgers, injured after almost every game he has ever played in the NFL regular season. Who is wrong now?

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Now that he has come around to the idea of playing again a month before training camp, and after a few attempts to find out if he is really, really, really retired, and with no 100 commitment from him until recently, who would really expect that someone wouldn't move on? Why doesn't he see the position he put the team in with is his indecision enough to say, well, if I do come back, I gotta accept what they say and the best I can hope for is to compete for my job back?

I love Brett, but I think you hit it right here. Brett's a coddled, star QB. More likeable and better than 99% of the QBs in NFL history, but he's still a coddled, star QB. He's self-centered. Always has been. I think there are other situations that show his self-centeredness, but I won't go down that road. Nothing that wrong with it. Most star QBs are like this. If he took a step back and really looked at the situation, I think he'd go your route. Unfortunately, I think he thought the Packers would take him back with open arms--no matter when he made his decision. Maybe it was an ego thing between him and Thompson and McCarthy. Perhaps he didn't like being "pressured" into making a decision.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 01:19 AM
nutz, "black ball" means prevent someone from working professionally.

what you have described, and i don't know if it even true, is that MM has simply soured on Favre and doesn't want him QBing his team.

That is not a black ball. That is simply McCarthy exercising his judgement as he is entitled to.

Thanks for proving my point.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 01:21 AM

The Packers said they don't wnat him to come out of retirement. He still has a choice. Favre isn't Thompson's gimp locked in teh basement getting molested.

Fuck, dude. Get a grip

Isn't it time you go and lick your dogs nuts? funny how you give me this little warning and then just start fucking tripping.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 01:22 AM

Simply you are the one taking shots, And if you think I actually need to have a conversation with you about this situation you are fucking delusional. Sorry but I would rather ride the Favre Bandwagon than the Aaron Rodgers one, sorry. And why the fuck would I be wrong? You have attached your wagon to the unproven commodity regardless on how much ass you think he has already kicked, laughable, simply laughable, almost as funny as your little mathematical experiment you tried this past winter.

There will come a time that Favre will no longer be able to play at an acceptable level, has that time come yet? Nope, sorry it hasn't. Can he play better and give the Packers a better shot than Rodgers? Probable, but he is 38, age is a motherfucker. He is coming off an NFC Championship appearance, and runner up as the NFL MVP. He hasn't suffered any serious injuries that would effect his mobility or his throwing ability outside of his age. Rodgers, injured after almost every game he has ever played in the NFL regular season. Who is wrong now?

Nobody is wrong, Nutz. You just stated what is called an opinion. Just read through this thread and really think about it. After some long hard deliberation I think you might understand why the world angers you so deeply :)

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 01:23 AM

Fuck, dude. Get a grip

Isn't it time you go and lick your dogs nuts? funny how you give me this little warning and then just start fucking tripping.

Hey ass hole. I'm not tripping. I'm going to slash your tires if you keep this up.

Deputy Nutz
Now that he has come around to the idea of playing again a month before training camp, and after a few attempts to find out if he is really, really, really retired, and with no 100 commitment from him until recently, who would really expect that someone wouldn't move on? Why doesn't he see the position he put the team in with is his indecision enough to say, well, if I do come back, I gotta accept what they say and the best I can hope for is to compete for my job back?

I love Brett, but I think you hit it right here. Brett's a coddled, star QB. More likeable and better than 99% of the QBs in NFL history, but he's still a coddled, star QB. He's self-centered. Always has been. I think there are other situations that show his self-centeredness, but I won't go down that road. Nothing that wrong with it. Most star QBs are like this. If he took a step back and really looked at the situation, I think he'd go your route. Unfortunately, I think he thought the Packers would take him back with open arms--no matter when he made his decision. Maybe it was an ego thing between him and Thompson and McCarthy. Perhaps he didn't like being "pressured" into making a decision.

Exactly.

SMACKTALKIE
I see a problem with Favre joining the Vikkings...............John David Booty wears #4. What would Favre have to pay to wear his number?

Seriously though, TT does have some leverage here. To release Favre would be foolish for the Pack.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 01:26 AM

Fuck, dude. Get a grip

Hey ass hole. I'm not tripping. I'm going to slash your tires if you keep this up.

Funny. Slash my tires? How about I hang your fucking dog in your front yard? Not funny, sick, but not really all that laughable, maybe Skinbasket would laugh, but I wouldn't.

I wanted to have a discussion, but you wanted to comment on my way of thinking and this and that, instead you tried to again get intelligent and simply that is just the wrong route for you.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Just to set the record straight, I don't really want to hang your fucking dog, hopefully you really don't want to slash my tires.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 01:30 AM
I see a problem with Favre joining the Vikkings...............John David Booty wears #4. What would Favre have to pay to wear his number?

Seriously though, TT does have some leverage here. To release Favre would be foolish for the Pack.

TT and the Packers have ZERO leverage... Favre can make this a pain in the ass as much as he wants too..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8094bd7a&template=with-video&confirm=true

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 01:35 AM
Just to set the record straight, I don't really want to hang your fucking dog, hopefully you really don't want to slash my tires.

No harm. Sensative time. And yeah, I was kidding. It just got so back and forth that I couldn't help but laugh at it. And my humor sucks so you probably didn't know :)

SMACKTALKIE
07-15-2008, 01:37 AM

TT and the Packers have ZERO leverage... Favre can make this a pain in the ass as much as he wants too..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8094bd7a&template=with-video&confirm=true

Ouch. Well......I guess out of all of this..... I find interesting how much MM has been pointed out as one of the bad guys in this situation. Is MM a puppet or Decision maker? Not trying to be sarcastic....looking for opinions of Pack fans.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 01:39 AM
I think MM is sayin everything that TT wants him to because when it boils down to everything... MM works for TT

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Packers have plenty of leverage. Not ideal leverage, but they can work out a trade, get something for Favre, and ensure that he won't be playing in the division next year.

I find interesting how much MM has been pointed out as one of the bad guys in this situation. Is MM a puppet or Decision maker?

Bad guy in what way? That he tried to convince Brett to stay retired--after he had retired, gotten the okay to come back, and then re-retired.

And you know you are trying to be sarcastic. I know Viking fans, and very few of them are just "looking for opinions of Pack fans." I think Rastak and mngolf are the only two I know who are like that.

SMACKTALKIE
07-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Packers have plenty of leverage. Not ideal leverage, but they can work out a trade, get something for Favre, and ensure that he won't be playing in the division next year.

I find interesting how much MM has been pointed out as one of the bad guys in this situation. Is MM a puppet or Decision maker?

Bad guy in what way? That he tried to convince Brett to stay retired--after he had retired, gotten the okay to come back, and then re-retired.

And you know you are trying to be sarcastic. I know Viking fans, and very few of them are just "looking for opinions of Pack fans." I think Rastak and mngolf are the only two I know who are like that.

I'm 34, married, bachelor degree, good job, and love football. Lifelong Viking fan and extremely loyal. I did not join this site to be a jerk or antagonist. I'm sick of totally agreeable Vikings sites so I thought I would try here. Just strangely interested in Packer fan's opinion. No ill will.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 01:54 AM
I'm 34, married, bachelor degree, good job, and love football. Lifelong Viking fan and extremely loyal. I did not join this site to be a jerk or antagonist. I'm sick of totally agreeable Vikings sites so I thought I would try here. Just strangely interested in Packer fan's opinion. No ill will.

I have a ton of friends just like you.. welcome to the fiascal! haha

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2008, 02:04 AM

With a name like smacktalkie it's hard to know this. It's an emotional time. Coming here at a time like this is delicate. It would be like a Packers fan jumping on a Vikings forum after Peterson got injured last year. Can't help but think the worst.

Pacopete, do you live in the Twin Cities? The rivalry is ugly around here. Not a lot of respect that goes on between the two sides.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 02:13 AM
I live in Superior, Wisconsin.. across the bridge from Duluth, MN on the tip of Lake Superior... also known as the Northland

its about 50/50 Packers-Vikings fans up here but the Vikings fans usually disappear about the 7-8th week of the season every year

mmmdk
07-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Just finished reading most of this thread and it's quite evident that with all this fan speculation on the semantics of Favre/TT/MM; that the truth is the real victim here.

The tone on this thread is childish at best but I understand where everyone comes from. So I ain't gonna point fingers!

I think I'm good with any kind of outcome and that's a big change in my Packer world. Personally, I just want my Packers to win; this season does presently seem like a wash though but you never know.

No hidden agenda in the above or seeds of splitting.

:pack:

SMACKTALKIE
07-15-2008, 02:26 AM

With a name like smacktalkie it's hard to know this. It's an emotional time. Coming here at a time like this is delicate. It would be like a Packers fan jumping on a Vikings forum after Peterson got injured last year. Can't help but think the worst.

Pacopete, do you live in the Twin Cities? The rivalry is ugly around here. Not a lot of respect that goes on between the two sides.

Just a nsme. Nothing more. Stayed away from the topic until this piont. Simply intrigued about MM according to the Favre interview tonight at this point.

cpk1994
07-15-2008, 06:27 AM

I wouldn't call it harsh or blunt, but he was definitely prepared
to talk and tell his side, no stammering or searching for words - I thought he came across as very strong, it was good to see him at least looking
and sounding like he felt strong, mentally and physically.
But who knows what they'll allow for him ????

Stay tuned for the 2nd half tomorrow night.NO stammering? I took 5 minutes of stammering before he even answered the first question. Greta better ask him this question in part 2 or the whole interview is BS: "It is reported that the Packers were ready to welcome you back in late March and then told them you were still retired. If they were pushing you out, as you claim, how do you explain that?"

cpk1994
07-15-2008, 06:33 AM

Woodson and Harris don't make it regularly to those either. They are TC type of guys as well.I hate to break it to you Merlin, buit they have made all OTA's this year so your argument is garbage.

cpk1994
07-15-2008, 06:35 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8094bd7a&template=with-video&confirm=trueWrong. The PAckers have ALL the leverage. Favre can't play ANYWHERE without TT letting it happen. Favre's be ego prevents the rest.

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 06:40 AM
I think Brett Favre (or his advisors) made so many errors, it simply is not funny. When I read the timeline of events, it just makes me want to crawl and hide some place.

All he really had to do was "unretire". He needed no one's permission to do so. He needn't have asked "do you think I'm wanted back".

Instead, he wanted to feel wanted. Wanted to be begged back. Wanted some TT/M3 "love".

That's why I cringe a bit when he states "I only want to play football". He wants more than to just play football. He wants to be begged to play football.

The Favre camp are solely responsible for the Public Relations chaos and public face off we are now witnessing.

Nobody had to lose face. Brett instructs Bus to notify TT and Goodell that he will be reporting to TC. Period. Then, there is a press release and that's it.

After that it is TT's job to pacify A-Rod, M3's job to put the best QB on the field.

Instead, Packer fans are divided, probably team mates are to.

I see no blame can be laid upon Management for the way they dealt with the Favre camp salami tactics.

This post does not intend to make any statement on where to go from here. It is my retrospect on how we got here.

Unfortunately, there must now be a public humiliation of one of the parties. Fans that will say "I told ya so" regardless of the future.

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 06:55 AM
I think Brett Favre (or his advisors) made so many errors, it simply is not funny. When I read the timeline of events, it just makes me want to crawl and hide some place.

All he really had to do was "unretire". He needed no one's permission to do so. He needn't have asked "do you think I'm wanted back".

Instead, he wanted to feel wanted. Wanted to be begged back. Wanted some TT/M3 "love".

That's why I cringe a bit when he states "I only want to play football". He wants more than to just play football. He wants to be begged to play football.

The Favre camp are solely responsible for the Public Relations chaos and public face off we are now witnessing.

Nobody had to lose face. Brett instructs Bus to notify TT and Goodell that he will be reporting to TC. Period. Then, there is a press release and that's it.

After that it is TT's job to pacify A-Rod, M3's job to put the best QB on the field.

I see no blame can be laid upon Management for the way they dealt with the Favre camp salami tactics.

This post does not intend to make any statement on where to go from here. It is my retrospect on how we got here.

Unfortunately, there must now be a public humiliation of one of the parties. Fans that will say "I told ya so" regardless of the future.

Right at this moment I believe that Packer management played this just as they felt they could. Favre announced that retirement on what? March 6th? way too early for him and his personality. He felt pressure to retire. That's what he told us.

That is his worst sin for all those down on him. He needed to get to Brett Favre. Be himself.

I'm pretty tired of this mess that goes on and on and has to stop. Brett Favre has to retire or be prepared to get a lot worse attention that even some Packer fans are giving him now. It's brutal to read the negative opinion in it's worst and most inaccurate terms here.

We're simply seeing Brett Favre again want to play football folks. Nothing really dramatic. He wants to play and 'of course' he can't play in Green Bay.They won't release him and if TT doesn't get the deal he EXPECTS Favre won't be traded.

This is at a deadlock as I see it and the man suffering is Brett Favre. He wants the deadlock to end.TT isn't exactly known for his speed in doing business.

COME ON Packer fans here. We do know the scoop. Both sides are letting us down.

sheepshead
07-15-2008, 06:58 AM
TT will loosen that statement about being a backup a bit. Brett will come in and win the starting job (surprise) and we get one more shot with Favre under center. (my take)

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 07:06 AM
TT will loosen that statement about being a backup a bit. Brett will come in and win the starting job (surprise) and we get one more shot with Favre under center. (my take)

Too easy of a solution. Too wonderful too, very very nice. :)

Too much dirty water under the Green Bay Packer bridge Re: TT and Favre I feel. It must end.

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 07:08 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8094bd7a&template=with-video&confirm=trueWrong. The PAckers have ALL the leverage. Favre can't play ANYWHERE without TT letting it happen. Favre's be ego prevents the rest.

F U !!!!

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 07:21 AM

D I V O R C E.

Huh?

I meant things don't look good for Favre in a Packer uniform now Brando19 . Your a huge Favre supporter as I view you here.

That ''he may never play anywhere'' is a 'play on TT's ways' not his definite intention of Packers or retire. Favre is pissed.

DIVORCE = TT and Favre will finally end their 'in my view'. They have to put it mildly a poor relationship.

TT didn't want to win with Favre behind center. He could have taken the couple of steps we needed in this off season, but 'the Favre may come back' issue hung over his head. So TT continues to claim were re-building.He certainly is right now.

Look at all that CAP space. His RB still not signed. No significant addition again in FA'cy. It's been all ...don't encourage Favre and the cost of $12 Million. Those are 'the facts of life'... demonstrated even in the Green Bay Packer organization.

Sadly the fan protest over this mess after today may change things for the worst. Favre may indeed come back to more of the crap he's not enjoyed. His advisors have to work out a strategy to force TT's hand or TT will sit on him. Favre wants to play football and competet. Same ole Brett.

Same Ole Ted Thompson... Re: Brett Favre.

That's what we're seeing and...... as clumsy as he has to be. Favre's dealing with Ted Thompson. HOLY MACKERAL. :)

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 07:31 AM

This is exactly how I see it too. Favre's camp fucked everything up. Now they wanna sweep everything under the rug, not take responsibility, and paint it as "all Brett wants to do is play, what is wrong with that."

All this BS about not being loved. I'm sure Favre expected the Packers to be thrilled when inklings of him wanting to come back started showing up in June. He thought they'd see him as the white knight. Instead, he got a lukewarm or even negative reaction and we are now faced with the situation we are at.

TT and MM's only "mistake" is not welcoming back a 38 year old QB who skipped the offseason.

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 07:40 AM

This is exactly how I see it too. Favre's camp fucked everything up. Now they wanna sweep everything under the rug, not take responsibility, and paint it as "all Brett wants to do is play, what is wrong with that."

All this BS about not being loved. I'm sure Favre expected the Packers to be thrilled when inklings of him wanting to come back started showing up in June. He thought they'd see him as the white knight. Instead, he got a lukewarm or even negative reaction and we are now faced with the situation we are at.

TT and MM's only "mistake" is not welcoming back a 38 year old QB who skipped the offseason.

Still TWO SIDES. What a shame.

That's who's problem now Packer fans?