PDA

View Full Version : K.C.Joyner of ESPN - excerpts from Wednesday's chat

K-town
06-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Chris (Salisbury Maryland):: What more moves do you expect from the Packers and how do you think their season will turn out?

KC Joyner: I know some people in the Wisconsin area (I do various radio shows there) and they tell me that the Packers may be done with their offseason acquisitions. I can tell you that Pickett was an excellent pickup. Woodson didn't have a very good year in coverage last year but a lot of that was due to his playing a nickel safety position a lot of the time. The Packers will use him as a CB, so I would expect his yards per attempt to come down this year. The big question for GB is if Favre will improve his play. They can't have another year from him like he had last year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott (Tampa): KC, love your stuff! With your analysis, what do you find is or are the most important attribute(s) to look for when researching how good a team's running game will be? Thanks!

KC Joyner: Offensive line by far. A single bad offensive lineman can kill a team with missed blocks. Having a healthy O line might be the most important aspect of any offense.

Joyner uses the statistical/scientific approach to breaking down film, grading players, etc. His take on players based on film study and his own brand of metrics is pretty unique. Not saying he's always right, but some of the numbers he comes up with are surprising (for example, Miami was in the top five for most successful vertical passing teams last year, based on yards per "longg pass" attempt).
He's kind of like the guys who preach "Moneyball" in baseball.
Anyway, the above were comments posted for your amusement or comment.