PDA

View Full Version : Wow

Chevelle2
07-15-2008, 07:12 AM
ON ASSISTANT COACH JAMES CAMPEN WHO VISITED FAVRE: "And he's caught in the middle of this, which he doesn't want to be caught in the middle of it. Yes, we are friends. We do talk. That's really how this whole thing got started, but, you know, that's not his job.

"He says, 'You know, I know they told you they're moving on and playing there's not an option. Playing here in Green Bay is not an
option, which that's what they want. They want to move on. But I'm telling you, if you reinstate or you force their hand, back them in a corner, they feel like they have no other option, they're going to accept you back."

"And he said, 'Just telling you.' And I said, 'OK.'

"...You know, I didn't want to go back there after that. You know, and really already, after what Mike had told me when he said, 'Hey

Brett, I'm sorry, we've moved on,' that was OK. That was OK.'

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/14/more-favre-comments.aspx

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 07:20 AM
If Campen really said that, he's toast.

Chevelle2
07-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Yeah, but Favre is the one who threw him under the bus

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 07:25 AM

Agreed, I wondered about that myself.

Campen, then, is toast!

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Well, then Brett must certainly know that he's not blackballed. He's choosing to leave the Packers because it's too uncomfortable for him not becasue the Packers are forcing him to out of the league as some said last night.

Man, this is too bad.

Chevelle2
07-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Well, then Brett must certainly know that he's not blackballed. He's choosing to leave the Packers because it's too uncomfortable for him not becasue the Packers are forcing him to out of the league as some said last night.

Man, this is too bad.

Of all the ways for a HOF QB to leave, this is the worst way. So sad.

pbmax
07-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Perhaps I am missing something, but isn't Campen simply reinforcing the line of thought that they aren't going to let him go free? That if push comes to shove, the Packers would rather take him back than release him?

It seems like this is consistent with Thompson's remarks after the fact.

MTPackerfan
07-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Maybe they are encouraging Campen to make those comments to Brett so they can basically offer him the starting job when he comes back, but they are saying something else in public for Aaron Rodgers to hear.

MJZiggy
07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Maybe they are encouraging Campen to make those comments to Brett so they can basically offer him the starting job when he comes back, but they are saying something else in public for Aaron Rodgers to hear.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on that idea.

HarveyWallbangers
07-17-2008, 02:09 AM
I actually think this is one side of the story that has been under-scrutinized. Brett threw Campen under the bus, and it's one of the things that makes me think a little less of Brett. There was really little need for it. Imagine if somebody without Brett's popularity had done this. People would be taking that person to task.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 02:13 AM

I wouldn't get my hopes up on that idea.Not to mention it would be dumb of the Packers to do so. They told Rodgers he was the guy. YOu actually think the Packers would wnat A-Rod to think they were lying to him? You already have one pissed QB, why would you even think of taking the chance of pissing off a second?

woodbuck27
07-17-2008, 02:49 AM

I wouldn't get my hopes up on that idea.Not to mention it would be dumb of the Packers to do so. They told Rodgers he was the guy. YOu actually think the Packers would wnat A-Rod to think they were lying to him? You already have one pissed QB, why would you even think of taking the chance of pissing off a second?

Because welcoming Favre back as the starter solves a lot of problems immediately for this season and certainly the greater history of the Packer Organization.

Secondly it puts to rest the complaints that maybe or for sure that TT doesn't support Favre.

Thirdly it will be gone - done - over for all Packer fans as 'the better good decision.

Forthly it's solid PR for OUR team given Favre's legacy.

It's deemed the best case scenario for a win-win. Next season and maybe even this season we'll see Aaron Rodgers start and maybe not. Yes Favre gets 'Diva status' but he's earned it despite the terrible mess he's made of it all this week.

CaptainKickass
07-17-2008, 03:02 AM

Brett threw Campen under the bus because he (Favre) found out about the handy pocket tape recorder, that Campen brought with him to his recent trip to Miss., to talk Favre out of trying to come back. When Favre found out that Campen had a recorded coversation of Favre talking to the Minnesota Bi-Queens, Favre threw James under the proverbial bus.

It's just my latest theory.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 03:42 AM

Because welcoming Favre back as the starter solves a lot of problems immediately for this season and certainly the greater history of the Packer Organization.

Secondly it puts to rest the complaints that maybe or for sure that TT doesn't support Favre.

Thirdly it will be gone - done - over for all Packer fans as 'the better good decision.

It's deemed the best case scenario for a win-win. Next season and maybe even this season we'll see Aaron Rodgers start and maybe not. Yes Favre gets 'Diva status' but he's earned it despite the terrible mess he's made of it all this week.Then we get to go through this shit agin next summer. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Gunakor
07-17-2008, 07:55 AM

It's deemed the best case scenario for a win-win. Next season and maybe even this season we'll see Aaron Rodgers start and maybe not. Yes Favre gets 'Diva status' but he's earned it despite the terrible mess he's made of it all this week.

How is this scenario a win-win? Something you have to understand here Woody is that appeasing Aaron Rodgers is a HUGE problem if Brett comes back. Put yourself in his shoes. Envision all of the work you'd have done in his position only to hold a clipboard for three years, and the year they tell you that the job is yours they pull the rug out from under you just 2 weeks before training camp starts. You can't please both. So who do you want to make happy, the 39 year old QB who might have one good season left in him or the 25 year old QB who will likely be a very good QB for at least another decade? Bring Favre back, lose his replacement. Keep his replacement, lose Favre. Any way you slice this one it's a lose-lose.

texaspackerbacker
07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Perhaps I am missing something, but isn't Campen simply reinforcing the line of thought that they aren't going to let him go free? That if push comes to shove, the Packers would rather take him back than release him?

It seems like this is consistent with Thompson's remarks after the fact.

You're not missing anything. A bunch of others are reading stuff in that isn't there.

This whole Campen thing is a big nothing. As somebody said, Campen was just the messenger reinforcing what McCarthy and told Favre and Thompson said publicly.

Favre didn't "throw him under the bus" just by relating this little insignificant event either.

This was an attempt to gently let Favre know the way things were--and the way things should be, that Aaron Rodgers is the best hope to lead the Packers to the Super Bowl, that the commitment had been made, etc. Also, Campen pointed out the other half of the message--that rather than release him, and probably rather than trade him, the Packers would just keep him on some inactive status, or at most as a backup. Because he is under contract, and because the team can do that, the team holds all the cards here--assuming they are willing to shell out $12 million for nothing.

Deputy Nutz
07-17-2008, 08:55 AM

Man, this is too bad.

Don't say "blackballed", Harlan gets offended for some reason.

texaspackerbacker
07-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Blackballing, by definition, implies a conspiracy. There is no conspiracy here. There is merely the Packers exercising their right under a valid contract to retain a player under any status they choose--as long as they are willing to pay according to the terms of that contract.