PDA

View Full Version : What Will Ultimately Happen

Chevelle2
07-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Lets get some predictions going

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 07:32 AM
I said stay on the tractor because I think Brett is too proud to come back and other teams are too affraid to touch him after this crazy mess to offer a trade.

Chevelle2
07-15-2008, 07:33 AM
I said stay on the tractor because I think Brett is too proud to come back and other teams are too affraid to touch him after this crazy mess to offer a trade.

Like the logic. I think I agree. And I say "think" because I really have no idea.

pack4to84
07-15-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm ready for Rogers to start, but Brett is one week away from starting anyways. I wouldn't be surprise that some nut fan might pull a Tonya Hardy. That is why I can't see TT letting Brett be the backup.

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Knowing TT, he will try and trade and cut his losses.

He stone faced Walker and Packer fans were divided a bit at the time. He'll stone face Favre as well. I think he will do this, because as a perennial "cut" candidate in "his day", he must have hated the "stars" that were automatic starters, despite their work ethics. That's a major reason he won't give BF a free pass.

And he is strictly about the locker room. He knows letting Favre back in there will create a major divide, because of the publicity.

If he can find a suitable trade partner, he will trade. If BF vetos it, TT is washed free of any sinns; he can publicly make the claim he offered BF choices (without being specific, although it will get leaked, always does) but that #4 vetoed it, so, he will be expected in camp albeit in a changed role.

Boom. End of story.

mmmdk
07-15-2008, 07:56 AM
If Favre really wants to play then it's a trade. Hmm, Bucs maybe?

Chevelle2
07-15-2008, 08:00 AM

Like the logic. I think I agree. And I say "think" because I really have no idea.

At the same time, he can force a release.........

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Knowing TT, he will try and trade and cut his losses.

He stone faced Walker and Packer fans were divided a bit at the time. He'll stone face Favre as well. I think he will do this, because as a perennial "cut" candidate in "his day", he must have hated the "stars" that were automatic starters, despite their work ethics. That's a major reason he won't give BF a free pass.

And he is strictly about the locker room. He knows letting Favre back in there will create a major divide, because of the publicity.

If he can find a suitable trade partner, he will trade. If BF vetos it, TT is washed free of any sinns; he can publicly make the claim he offered BF choices (without being specific, although it will get leaked, always does) but that #4 vetoed it, so, he will be expected in camp albeit in a changed role.

Boom. End of story.

Let's hope for more that that same Ole same Ole Tarlam!

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 08:27 AM

Please explain; how? Do you mean by becoming a locker room cancer á la MM or Walker?

I couldn't see Brett Favre pulling that stunt.

Chevelle2
07-15-2008, 08:29 AM

Please explain; how? Do you mean by becoming a locker room cancer á la MM or Walker?

I couldn't see Brett Favre pulling that stunt.

I could be wrong, but according to NFL.com, he has a no trade clause - simply by veoting any trade.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8094c655

So he can be shopped around to all 31 team, veto every single one, and GB has his rights still.

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Well, that only means he can veto a trade. TT can hold onto his rights forever, despite what BF or Bus Cook do.

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 08:34 AM
What happens if Favre is "waived"? Does he go onto the waiver wire?

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Well, that only means he can veto a trade. TT can hold onto his rights forever, despite what BF or Bus Cook do.

That's right.

woodbuck27
07-15-2008, 08:57 AM

Waived where? The NFL doesn't have a minor league agreement Tarlam!

There is a waiver wire I do understand but again waived where... but to possible oblivion?

cheesner
07-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Trade to Tampa for a 2nd or a 3rd.

MJZiggy
07-16-2008, 06:21 AM

I thought you were cyber dead to Tarlam, Woody. Besides the fact that suggesting that the NFL doesn't have a waiver wire is just silly, you have about a snowball's chance in boiling water that he will even answer you.

Tar, I don't think Favre goes through waivers because he's been in the league too long, but I could be mistaken on that. Patler? Max?

Patler
07-16-2008, 07:18 AM

I thought you were cyber dead to Tarlam, Woody. Besides the fact that suggesting that the NFL doesn't have a waiver wire is just silly, you have about a snowball's chance in boiling water that he will even answer you.

Tar, I don't think Favre goes through waivers because he's been in the league too long, but I could be mistaken on that. Patler? Max?

I don't understand Woody's comment, NFL players are "waived" and the CBA even has an article entitled "Waiver System"

A veteran (4 years or more) waived between Feb. 1 and the trade deadline becomes a free agent, and can negotiate a new contract with any team without compensation to his former team. A veteran waived after the trade deadline goes into the waiver system and a team can assume his existing contract; however, regardless of the remaining length of his existing contract, he can declare himself a free agent at the end of that season.

woodbuck27
07-16-2008, 07:55 AM

I don't understand Woody's comment, NFL players are "waived" and the CBA even has an article eptitled "Waiver System"

A veteran (4 years or more) waived between Feb. 1 and the trade deadline becomes a free agent, and can negotiate a new contract with any team without compensation to his former team. A veteran waived after the trade deadline goes into the waiver system and a team can assume his existing contract; however, regardless of the remaining length of his existing contract, he can declare himself a free agent at the end of that season.

Yes. I was thinking in terms of the waiver policy in Pro Leagues that have Minor League and Semi-Pro Systems like the NHL and MLB Patler. A player in those Pro Leagues can be waived out of 'the Bigs'.

Tarlam!
07-16-2008, 08:00 AM

NFL players are "waived" and the CBA even has an article entitled "Waiver System"

Thanks Patler and Ziggy. So, if TT waives BF after the trading deadline, he is awarded the team with a high claim on the QB, right?

When is that deadline?

oregonpackfan
07-16-2008, 09:12 AM

I partly agree. I think the Packers will offer him to come back as the backup QB. Favre will be too proud to accept that role.

Other teams will consider it too late in the preseason to take a 39 year old QB and have him learn a new playbook.

Carolina_Packer
07-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Middle of October I think

Patler
07-16-2008, 05:45 PM

NFL players are "waived" and the CBA even has an article entitled "Waiver System"

Thanks Patler and Ziggy. So, if TT waives BF after the trading deadline, he is awarded the team with a high claim on the QB, right?

When is that deadline?

Trade deadline is usually around the middle of October.

Joemailman
07-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I said stay on the tractor, but this story changes daily, so I will probably change my mind soon.

Chevelle2
07-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Are we essentially waiting for either

a) a trade
b) a statement Favre is staying retired?

Because of neither happens, this "not knowing" could linger into TC, which would be a pain.

Fritz
07-21-2008, 01:37 PM
I went with the tractor answer simply because I think if Favre were serious about playing for another team - just getting back to football, period - he'd have asked for reinstatement. But he hasn't done that yet, which means TT can neither trade nor release him, and which means that Favre can't really even show up and participate in camp.

At the moment I think he wanted to have the Packers beg him to come back, and when they didn't he started getting mad and maybe toyed with coming back to another NFC contender, and now is wondering if he really wants to do that.

What's weird about all this is that if the Packers had gone say 8 - 8 or even 9 - 7 last year, I don't think Favre would necessarily be so unsettled about retirement. But they got to the NFC Championship game, and that very fact - which I thought would convince Favre to come back and not retire - may be pulliong at him now.

Pacopete4
07-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Are we essentially waiting for either

a) a trade
b) a statement Favre is staying retired?

Because of neither happens, this "not knowing" could linger into TC, which would be a pain.

Part of me thinks the Packers want to see how long Rodgers makes it and that will determine if we see Brett back or not..

bobblehead
07-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I don't see it going down this way, but a bad possibility is brett shows for camp, the team pudders around for 2 weeks trying to trade him while he makes it known he will retire if he gets traded.

Eventually, after a preseason game they release him of rogers looks good.

That is my nightmare scenario.

Harlan Huckleby
07-21-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm having trouble deciphering some of those options, especially the "staying in camp" and winking stuff.

I thought about joining Swede's proud resistance and refusing to vote in polls. But I don't have the strength to turn my head away from the Favre nonsense, no man is an island, and I want to be part of the fun.

I'll go with the wild idea that Favre comes to camp and becomes a backup. (But I guess he'll find his way back to become starter - is that what winky-winky means?)

Chevelle2
07-21-2008, 01:53 PM
I'll go with the wild idea that Favre comes to camp and becomes a backup. (But I guess he'll find his way back to become starter - is that what winky-winky means?)

Basically. To the public it will seem like a fair competition, and maybe even to AR. But BF, TT and MM know Favre will win it.

Harlan Huckleby
07-21-2008, 02:08 PM

Basically. To the public it will seem like a fair competition, and maybe even to AR. But BF, TT and MM know Favre will win it.

I think Rodgers will win the competition. But history shows Rodgers will get hurt.

Chevelle2
07-21-2008, 02:50 PM

I think Rodgers will win the competition. But history shows Rodgers will get hurt.

Nah I think his injury history has been overblown. Playing the rest of the game with a broken foot shows hes tough, and the hamstring was a fluke - happened on the last play of practice. Plus MM said he could have played.

Fritz
07-21-2008, 03:03 PM
What if Favre applies for reinstatement and comes back to the NFL - whether with the Pack or someone else - and Deanna calls him one day and says "Honey, the grass is getting awfully long."

Will Favre have to fight the urge to go sit on his lawn tractor?

Sometimes I wonder if the Pack had let Favre cut the grass around Lambeau if none of this would have happened.

I blame his lawn.

Carolina_Packer
07-21-2008, 04:50 PM
What if Favre applies for reinstatement and comes back to the NFL - whether with the Pack or someone else - and Deanna calls him one day and says "Honey, the grass is getting awfully long."

Will Favre have to fight the urge to go sit on his lawn tractor?

Sometimes I wonder if the Pack had let Favre cut the grass around Lambeau if none of this would have happened.

I blame his lawn.

Well, nothing runs like Favre's mouth! :lol: