PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers Ultimatum

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:30 AM
AR is undoubtably tired of endlessly being stuck in the middle of the annual BF retirement opera.

If Rodgers were to state publicly, "Guarantee me the starter position or release me.", how many would be in favor of granting him an unconditional release or guaranteeing him the starter job? Lets see a show of hands.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Well...

Since he really hasn't done much to prove why he should be the starter over a first ballot HOFer...

I'd tell him to take a hike if that was his attitude.

Fortunately, his most recent comments seem to show far more maturity than that.

mngolf19
07-15-2008, 10:34 AM
And this would also not likely happen since he would immediately go to MN or Chi as well.

Sparkey
07-15-2008, 10:37 AM
AR is undoubtably tired of endlessly being stuck in the middle of the annual BF retirement opera.

If Rodgers were to state publicly, "Make me the starter or release me.", how many would be in favor of granting him an unconditional release or guaranteeing him the starter job? Lets see a show of hands.

But he is the Starter ........

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Since he really hasn't done much to prove why he should be the starter over a first ballot HOFer...

OK, true enough. Just to clarify your position, are you suggesting that since Favre is a first ballot HOFer, he is justified in showing up in July and making that same ultimatum?

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 10:41 AM

If Rodgers were to state publicly, "Make me the starter or release me.", how many would be in favor of granting him an unconditional release or guaranteeing him the starter job? Lets see a show of hands.

But he is the Starter ........

OK, right. But that situation is now in some dispute. So reword it as "Guarantee me the starter position or release me."

Tarlam!
07-15-2008, 10:44 AM
I would say exactly the same as TT has said about Favre.

Aaron is welcome in GB and we will not be releasing him.

Merlin
07-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Thompson would never release Rodgers, he has his entire career invested in that draft pick. He has not allowed Rodgers one iota of competition for being number 2 or for now being the starter as it appears that the words "compete for the starting job" have not been uttered. And to yes, Rodgers has said some mature things but he has said some very immature things as well. He is an unproven commodity and cannot afford to say stupid things as he has. He should say all of the right things and is expected to. AS is McCarthy about his players.

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Thompson would never release Rodgers, he has his entire career invested in that draft pick.

Not really. Thompson will be in Green Bay for a few more years. If ARod doesn't get the job done this year and/or next year, Thompson has a backup plan in Brian Brohm now.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Just to clarify your position, are you suggesting that since Favre is a first ballot HOFer, he is justified in showing up in July and making that same ultimatum?

Not just because of his HOF status...but also because he is coming off an MVP caliber year where the Packers were within an eyelash of the Super Bowl.

The guy can still play at an extremely high level, so it is shocking to me that the Packers in essense are running the guy out of town.

The Leaper
07-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Not really. Thompson will be in Green Bay for a few more years. If ARod doesn't get the job done this year and/or next year, Thompson has a backup plan in Brian Brohm now.

He may have a backup plan...but how many Packer fans would be extremely upset at Thompson for dumping Favre for Rodgers if Rodgers did not pan out?

Thompson will have a very shaky tenure in Green Bay if Rodgers doesn't turn into a player they can confidently sign long term before the end of 2009.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 11:16 AM
The guy can still play at an extremely high level, so it is shocking to me that the Packers in essense are running the guy out of town.

If the packers intention was to run him out of town, why did they wait until July to do it?

And what about their offer to fly Favre up to Green Bay and finalize his unretirement a month after he retired? Are you suggesting that didn't happen? Or does it just not count because it doesn't fit your theory?

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2008, 11:20 AM

He may have a backup plan...but how many Packer fans would be extremely upset at Thompson for dumping Favre for Rodgers if Rodgers did not pan out?

Thompson will have a very shaky tenure in Green Bay if Rodgers doesn't turn into a player they can confidently sign long term before the end of 2009.

It may be shaky at that point, but if the Brohm leads them to the Super Bowl in 2010, I'm sure Packer fans would forgive him. It certainly appears the organization is willing to give him at least three more years to do his thing.

DonHutson
07-15-2008, 11:23 AM

If Rodgers were to state publicly, "Guarantee me the starter position or release me.", how many would be in favor of granting him an unconditional release or guaranteeing him the starter job? Lets see a show of hands.

Then I guess we'd have two QB's that aren't going to be released.

Rodgers has all been guaranteed the starting job heading into camp. It's up to him hold on to it. Anyway, I don't think Rodgers is that stupid.

packinpatland
07-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Thompson would never release Rodgers, he has his entire career invested in that draft pick. He has not allowed Rodgers one iota of competition for being number 2 or for now being the starter as it appears that the words "compete for the starting job" have not been uttered. And to yes, Rodgers has said some mature things but he has said some very immature things as well. He is an unproven commodity and cannot afford to say stupid things as he has. He should say all of the right things and is expected to. AS is McCarthy about his players.

"he has his entire career invested in that draft pick"

I think this statement has more to do with this whole debacle than we know.

Guiness
07-15-2008, 11:27 AM

I haven't participated much in the multitude of Favre threads, but I think you've nailed the kicker here Leaper. It's what I've been thinking all along - I wonder just how confident TT and MM are in Rodgers.

sharpe1027
07-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Thompson would never release Rodgers, he has his entire career invested in that draft pick. He has not allowed Rodgers one iota of competition for being number 2 or for now being the starter as it appears that the words "compete for the starting job" have not been uttered.

This has been thrown around as if it was fact way too much. People who look for reasons to dislike TT have been left to resort to hypothetical opinions on his unspoken thoughts because the team has done so well. Whatever.

Rodgers would be pretty stupid to add pressure to himself by giving such an ultimatum. Its far more likely he'll just wait another year or do it behind the scenes.

FritzDontBlitz
07-15-2008, 12:57 PM

I would expect Thompson to say "we're not guaranteeing you the starter job and we're not releasing you."

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 01:26 PM
HH, when I saw this thread title you had me scared that Rodgers had actually MADE an ultimatum. That's all we would need.

The Shadow
07-15-2008, 02:03 PM

I would think his career is more about taking a team on the decline and restoring it to contender status.

3irty1
07-15-2008, 05:09 PM
A player whose never started an NFL game can absolutely not under any circumstances make a demand like that before training camp.

pbmax
07-15-2008, 06:13 PM
I would favor trading him to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac for a sub-prime mortgage with and ARM and a balloon payment. I think they'd take that deal.

FritzDontBlitz
07-15-2008, 07:51 PM
I would favor trading him to Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac for a sub-prime mortgage with and ARM and a balloon payment. I think they'd take that deal.

Always gotta give props to a good political joke.

falco
07-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Always gotta give props to a good political joke.

you mean a good fiscal joke

Packers4Ever
07-15-2008, 08:37 PM

I like Rodgers ok but he's not Brett (who is?) and with the schedule we
have coming up, things could get pretty tense. How will he do under fire?
What about when there's 2 LB's bearing down on him? He really hasn't experienced much that can be commented on right now. He *should* be ready, with 3 years behind him (game planning) plus coaching by Favre and MM ~ Brett's first NFL game here was no piece of cake, remember?

I guess I didn't really answer ~

It all remains to be seen...

Lurker64
07-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Thompson would never release Rodgers, he has his entire career invested in that draft pick.

I can't say I agree that Thompson has his entire career invested in that draft pick. It seems to me that Thompson has drafted enough solid contributors, and signed enough solid contributors as free agents that if Rodgers doesn't pan out he will be fine. However, if Rodgers doesn't pan out and Thompson ensures that he starts longer than he should, then Thompson's career might be in trouble. Likewise if Rodgers and Brohm don't pan out and Thompson is unable to find a quality starting QB.

I'm pretty sure Thompson's legacy is more in "Finding a successful successor to Favre" and not "Ensuring that Rodgers in particular is that successful successor to Favre." That's part of what I liked about the Brohm draft pick, it showed that he was more interested in "having a solid starting QB" than "making Rodgers hit it big".

If Thompson had nothing behind Rodgers for the future, then his whole career would be in trouble, but I'm going to give him at least Rodgers and Brohm as shots.

falco
07-15-2008, 08:53 PM

I can't say I agree that Thompson has his entire career invested in that draft pick. It seems to me that Thompson has drafted enough solid contributors, and signed enough solid contributors as free agents that if Rodgers doesn't pan out he will be fine. However, if Rodgers doesn't pan out and Thompson ensures that he starts longer than he should, then Thompson's career might be in trouble. Likewise if Rodgers and Brohm don't pan out and Thompson is unable to find a quality starting QB.

I'm pretty sure Thompson's legacy is more in "Finding a successful successor to Favre" and not "Ensuring that Rodgers in particular is that successful successor to Favre." That's part of what I liked about the Brohm draft pick, it showed that he was more interested in "having a solid starting QB" than "making Rodgers hit it big".

If Thompson had nothing behind Rodgers for the future, then his whole career would be in trouble, but I'm going to give him at least Rodgers and Brohm as shots.

i completely agree Lurker

mission
07-15-2008, 08:59 PM

i keep reading posts and usually just say "jackass..." before moving on to the next and every now and then i end up nodding along to the post... then i look over and its almost always a lurker post.

maybe it's that fort dodge ia blood in me :wink:

bobblehead
07-15-2008, 10:44 PM

I haven't participated much in the multitude of Favre threads, but I think you've nailed the kicker here Leaper. It's what I've been thinking all along - I wonder just how confident TT and MM are in Rodgers.

I think you are both hitting the good stuff a little too hard. His "career" is vested in trading a 6th for ryan grant, grabbing bigby off the scrap heap, grabbing Donald Lee off the heap, drafting jennings. I love sports announcers and forum posters....everything is life or death. Josh hamilton put on the greatest display of power in history.

Bretsky
07-15-2008, 10:47 PM

HH = Trouble Maker