PDA

View Full Version : Favre BBQ's TT in part 2

digitaldean
07-15-2008, 11:55 AM
PFT.com says the Milw. JS got transcript of tonight's part 2 interview with Greta Van Susteren on FNC.

Makes Favre all the more a whiner. He should shut his piehole before he digs any other holes for himself.
____-

FAVRE SLAMS THOMPSON IN PART TWO OF INTERVIEW
Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2008, 10:52 a.m. EDT

Packers G.M. Ted Thompson might have been feeling neglected while he watched on Monday night Part One of the Brett Favre interview. After all, it was coach Mike McCarthy and not Thompson who was mentioned most often by Brett, primarily with respect to the perceived effort to force him to decide whether to retire in March and then with respect to the attempt to persuade him not to press for a chance to return with another team in June.

But Thompson gets his share of attention, in Part Two.

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Favre slams Thompson in the segment that will air Tuesday night on Fox News, and Favre points to three incidents that caused him to not trust Thompson.

First was Favre’s desire that the team add receiver Randy Moss in 2007. We reported, numerous times, that Favre was actively lobbying the team to acquire Moss after two failed seasons with the Raiders. There was also a rumor that the team’s failure to try to land the star receiver, who revived his career in a big way with the Patriots last season, prompted Favre to make noise about leaving the team. Though it’s still unclear whether the latter proposition is accurate, it’s now obvious that Favre wanted Moss — and that Favre didn’t appreciate Thompson’s decision not to be honest about that fact with the public.

“I worked my butt off . . . to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” Favre told Fox News.

Second, Favre says he tried to get Thompson to re-sign guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, both of whom left via free agency.

Third, Favre pushed hard for Thompson to consider hiring former 49ers and Lions coach Steve Mariucci, but Thompson rebuffed Brett, hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

“[N]one of those had anything to do with me retiring once again,” Favre says, “but, you know, it’s hard for me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another. And so — and that’s part of the reason for the [request for a] release.”

So Favre didn’t retire from the Packers because of mistrust for Thompson, but now Favre wants out in part because he doesn’t trust Thompson.

But, Brett, didn’t you say you want out because the Packers told you that they don’t want you to play?

More importantly, Brett, when did you become the quarterback/General Manager of the Packers?

Maybe we finally understand why Favre kept quiet for so long on this topic. Now that he’s opening his mouth, he’s sounding like an idiot.

Regarding this apparent effort to smear Thompson by dredging up outdated and irrelevant pisses and/or moans, Favre needs to realize that he hasn’t always been truthful, either. On July 2, for example, he said that the talk of his desire to return is “rumor” and that there’s “[n]o reason for it.”

So before Brett says “you know, it’s hard for me to trust, you know, this guy when I — either I’m told one thing and everyone else is told another, or he’s telling the public one thing and telling me another,” Favre should ask “this guy” in the mirror whether he has been doing the very same thing.

Chevelle2
07-15-2008, 11:56 AM
I want to hear what TT lied about.

Until then, I don't believe Brett.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 11:57 AM
HOW ABOUT WE WAIT TIL THE INTERVIEW IS ACTUALLY SEEN BEFORE WE MAKE ASSUMPTIONS ON ANYTHING... ISN'T THAT PART OF THIS WHOLE PROBLEM THAT WE SIDE WITH A PARTY WITHOUT EVEN LISTENING TO WHAT THE OTHER PARTY HAS TO SAY??????

GBRulz
07-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Paco - Stop it with the common sense already, will ya? :wink:

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 12:03 PM
haha, sorry.. I'll dumb it down for everyone except u I guess

retailguy
07-15-2008, 12:20 PM
HOW ABOUT WE WAIT TIL THE INTERVIEW IS ACTUALLY SEEN BEFORE WE MAKE ASSUMPTIONS ON ANYTHING... ISN'T THAT PART OF THIS WHOLE PROBLEM THAT WE SIDE WITH A PARTY WITHOUT EVEN LISTENING TO WHAT THE OTHER PARTY HAS TO SAY??????

Usually, in an argument, both parties have valid points. The truth typically lies somewhere in the middle.

I don't think we need to wait for anything, however, I appreciate the substance of what you're trying to say.

Seems to me that:

A. Brett doesn't Like Ted
B. Ted wanted Brett to retire.
C. Brett doesn't believe that Ted tells the truth
D. Ted thinks Brett is a prima donna.
E. Lots of people here think Brett IS the GBP
F. Lots of people here think Ted is the greatest GM in the history of earth.
G. Some people here think Ted is an imbecile.
H. Some people here think Brett should stay retired.

Looks like a pretty even battle with some truth and plenty of lies on each side.

Tarlam! - you love that popcorn icon, might be time to break it out, 'cause this thing is just getting started.... lol

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Usually, in an argument, both parties have valid points. The truth typically lies somewhere in the middle.

I don't think we need to wait for anything, however, I appreciate the substance of what you're trying to say.

Seems to me that:

A. Brett doesn't Like Ted
B. Ted wanted Brett to retire.
C. Brett doesn't believe that Ted tells the truth
D. Ted thinks Brett is a prima donna.
E. Lots of people here think Brett IS the GBP
F. Lots of people here think Ted is the greatest GM in the history of earth.
G. Some people here think Ted is an imbecile.
H. Some people here think Brett should stay retired.

Looks like a pretty even battle with some truth and plenty of lies on each side.

Tarlam! - you love that popcorn icon, might be time to break it out, 'cause this thing is just getting started.... lol

You're points are dead on... couldnt agree more, I guess I'm just pissy with the whole situation because basically THERE IS NO WINNER RIGHT NOW

A. Our beloved Brett Favre is being bashed by almost everyone
B. Our beloved Packers are being bashed by almost everyone

(those are in no specific order, so please dont say I love Brett more than the Pack)

but that too me is the most heartbreaking of this all that two things I've loved, look like complete ass clowns

motife
07-15-2008, 01:46 PM
who gives a crap WHAT Favre says? about ANYTHING?

Favre has the emotional stability and thin skin of a crazy ex-wife.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/SIGN/98268~Caution-Drama-Queen-Just-Ahead-Posters.jpg

http://www.570news.com/images/FEEDS/07/13/s071339A.jpg

VegasPackFan
07-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Brett has a contract to play QB for the Packers.

TT has a contract to GM the Packers.

Pretty simple, isn't it?

When those roles dont stay defined, you have problems. TT shouldnt have to "lie" to Brett about any personnel moves he is making. Maybe he just told him "I'll consider it" and Brett doesnt feel like TT even did consider. But again, Brett is the QB, TT is the GM. Get over it, Brett. The moves TT made got a team to the NFC Championship. Bretts play on the field got the Packers to the NFC Cahmpionship.

HughC
07-15-2008, 01:57 PM
In case anybody was interested, here's the link to the story in the Journal Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=772402).

In the transcript, Favre expressed frustration with three incidents in the recent Packers past involving Thompson.

In one instance, Favre told Van Susteren that “I worked my butt off two years ago to try to get them to sign Randy Moss,” adding that he was willing to give up salary to land the talented receiver.

But Favre said Thompson denied publicly that Favre had lobbied to get Moss, which Favre said was not the case. Moss signed with the New England Patriots.

In a second instance, Favre said he once tried to convince Thompson to re-sign Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, two key linemen, but the two got away and signed elsewhere.

In a third case, Favre told Van Susteren he tried to convince Thompson to interview Steve Mariucci, an old friend, for the head coaching job vacated by Mike Sherman. Favre said Thompson ended up hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

I'm sure that other quartebacks and key players lobby their head coach and general manager to bring in certain players, but I don't recall, for example, Tom Brady going public with that frustration, even after his entire corps of wide receivers were unwanted free agents cut by other teams a couple years ago.

The Shadow
07-15-2008, 02:01 PM

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/SIGN/98268~Caution-Drama-Queen-Just-Ahead-Posters.jpg

http://www.570news.com/images/FEEDS/07/13/s071339A.jpg

Well done!

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the forum, HughC.

Lurker64
07-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Favre being upset because he wanted to play GM and was rebuffed is one of the most damning things I've heard on the "he's a prima donna" account.

Players shouldn't get to decide personnel moves, no matter who they are. Every time Brett opens his mouth, I like him less and less. I have lost so much respect for Favre in the past two weeks...

privatepacker
07-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Everyone remembers how Green Bay got Favre, Wolfe traded for him because he was his guy. He took over when the Majic Man got hurt and the rest is history. Has anyone considered that Rodgers may be TT's QB? He has that much faith in him that he's willing to let a Favre walk or get traded. Favre isn't injured, Thank God, but it's probably time to let him go and see if Rodgers is a pretender or contender.

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Nothing good comes from tossing mud, but man, this is exactly what I saw in Brett Favre these last couple years. You could jsut sense it was all about him.

I really just want this whole thing to be over with (trade preferrably) so I can go on remembering him for the great times instead of having to associate him with all of this. Favre is going through a time right now where he thinks he's bigger than the game and it's pretty ugly. He'll get his feet on the ground again and we'll all go on after his final retirement enjoying his presence and remembering his glory.

Right now though, damn, this is ugly Brett.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Harrell.. you say its all on Brett, do you not think that TT or MM have any responsibility with this whole mess? I personally believe this is about as 50/50 you can get with fucking something so good up..

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Harrell.. you say its all on Brett, do you not think that TT or MM have any responsibility with this whole mess? I personally believe this is about as 50/50 you can get with fucking something so good up..

I really don't, Pete. I think the Packers have jobs within the team and each person is supposed to do the best they can while also supporting the other members of the team. I think McCarthy and Thompson are doing the very best they can and they do not want to see Brett go through this but they made a tough call, but a call that they think is a right call and while I think they're ready to move on, I also think it pains them to see someone hurting so badly on the way out the door. Brett left teh door open and the Packers ended up making a call to move forward. If it ends up blowing up in their face, they'll be held accountable for their part but right now all it is, is a tough decision that was made while Brett was waffling in regard to his commitment to the team.

DonHutson
07-15-2008, 04:18 PM
First was Favre’s desire that the team add receiver Randy Moss in 2007.

Second, Favre says he tried to get Thompson to re-sign guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, both of whom left via free agency.

Third, Favre pushed hard for Thompson to consider hiring former 49ers and Lions coach Steve Mariucci, but Thompson rebuffed Brett, hiring Mike McCarthy instead.

Without Moss the Packers still have a top 5 WR corps. Neither Rivera nor Wahle lived up to the deals they got. Mooch is a two time loser as a head coach.

Where did all of these horrible, untrustworthy decisions leave us? One Brett Favre INT away from the Super Bowl. Brett's throwing fuel on the fire, but most of it is dripping on his own shoes.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 04:22 PM

I really don't, Pete. I think the Packers have jobs within the team and each person is supposed to do the best they can while also supporting the other members of the team. I think McCarthy and Thompson are doing the very best they can and they do not want to see Brett go through this but they made a tough call, but a call that they think is a right call and while I think they're ready to move on, I also think it pains them to see someone hurting so badly on the way out the door. Brett left teh door open and the Packers ended up making a call to move forward. If it ends up blowing up in their face, they'll be held accountable for their part but right now all it is, is a tough decision that was made while Brett was waffling in regard to his commitment to the team.

Hmmm.. I do see your point of moving on. I understand that sooner or later TT/MM have to do something and get on with the business of the Packers. But to me, I dont think before training camp is that big of a deal to come back to. I really think if you took a poll, especially the Vets and asked if they wanted Rodgers or Favre after training camp that it'd be hands down. I understand the committment issue, but don't most players bitch that the season is too long to begin with?

To make my point more clear, I would see your point 100% and probably agree with you if training camp were underway and Favre then decided he wanted back in.. but as of right now, with 10 days or so to report... man, Favres looking better and better as we speak

Lurker64
07-15-2008, 05:07 PM

Without Moss the Packers still have a top 5 WR corps. Neither Rivera nor Wahle lived up to the deals they got. Mooch is a two time loser as a head coach.

Where did all of these horrible, untrustworthy decisions leave us? One Brett Favre INT away from the Super Bowl. Brett's throwing fuel on the fire, but most of it is dripping on his own shoes.

Yeah, all this convinces me is that Favre is a terrible GM. Randy Moss didn't want to come here in the first place, Rivera was washed up and Wahle hasn't accomplished much to earn his salary since he left, and McCarthy is at least four times the head coach that Mariucci is.

Brett Favre needs to stop trying to be the General Manager, since he's bad at it.

MadScientist
07-15-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't buy this 'AR is TT's guy' business as the reason for pushing Brett out the door. We can debate TT's moves, but all are easily justifiable. Whale and Rivera - Sherman cap. Moss - how many of us thought he was a cancer and didn't want him in GB, and thought he may have lost a step. Mooch - can't argue much with how MM has done so far.

As for this off season, how would you have done things differently than TT did? I can't really think of anything that wouldn't have hurt the team, more than this mess does.

GBRulz
07-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Or an ex husband.

mmmdk
07-15-2008, 05:48 PM

Or an ex husband.

Hey, that comment wasn't really about Favre... :lol:

Zool
07-15-2008, 05:53 PM

Or an ex husband.

Hey, that comment wasn't really about Favre... :lol:

Haha...i was thinking that same thing.

falco
07-15-2008, 06:07 PM
you know how there are some people that are coaches and gm? too bad favre couldn't be QB and gm. then I bet he would be happy

Tyrone Bigguns
07-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Reminds me of MJ wanting ex UNC player Buzz Peterson to be drafted by the bulls. He lobbied hard for that..and we see how well buzz's pro career turned out. :oops:

Brett is welcome to voice his opinion of players and who he thinks should be kept and who should coach...and then shut his mouth. He ain't paid to make those decisions.

I wonder how well he woulda taken it if TT started questioning his ad libbing or decision making on the field?

I love Brett..and some have accused me of turning a blind eye to his playmaking on the field. But, this just turns my stomach. He is a fucking employee...no more, no less.

TT is our GM..and if Brett doesn't see how his actions are making it tougher for him to do his job (speaking in the past..not of the present situation) then he is a fool.

BF4MVP
07-15-2008, 06:55 PM
The Packers' receivers were among the best in the league even without Moss and Moss said he didn't want to come here anyways..

Rivera is out of football and Wahle just got cut..This a few years after each signed a lucrative free agent deal..

Mooch has had a pretty lackluster/terrible head coaching career while McCarthy led this team to the NFC Championship game last year..

I don't see what Favre is bitching about..It's not his job to make those decisions..And thank God it's not...This team would be in pretty rough shape with Favre as the GM..

retailguy
07-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Or an ex husband.

Hmmm... No, no. Definitely an ex - wife. :twisted: :oops: :wink:

mission
07-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Yeah, all this convinces me is that Favre is a terrible GM. Randy Moss didn't want to come here in the first place, Rivera was washed up and Wahle hasn't accomplished much to earn his salary since he left, and McCarthy is at least four times the head coach that Mariucci is.

Brett Favre needs to stop trying to be the Gene
ral Manager, since he's bad at it.

exactly what i was going to post! except much more incoherent im sure... :lol:

retailguy
07-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Brett Favre needs to stop trying to be the General Manager, since he's bad at it.

Your point inherently assumes that Rivera & Wahle would've performed at the same level if they had remained in GB as they did while leaving GB. Not sure that is a fair statement.

Quite honestly, we had the #1 offensive line in the NFL at the time Wahle & Rivera left. There is no logical reason to believe that would not have continued the following year. Rivera got injured, though I agree he was on his last legs, but Wahle performed a very specific role in GB that was tailored to his strengths over several seasons, Carolina did not use him that way.

As to Moss, who knows, who cares? The guy is a head case, but a damn good head case receiver. To say he wouldn't have helped? Heck, that's not logical.

Please note - I'm not in favor of Brett's position, but speculating he's trying to be a GM? Nah. He just wants to win, and thought he had a better solution. Every employee does this, just most of the time, the press isn't interested...