PDA

View Full Version : Except for you diehard lefties, what is Barrys problem here?

sheepshead
07-15-2008, 01:28 PM
I think the fact that he is clearly afraid to debate Senator McCain in an open forum should disqualify him from consideration immediately.

McCain challenges Obama to town hall-style debates

CREATE A SCENARIO FOR 2008

USA TODAY's interactive electoral vote tracker lets you build election scenarios, share them with friends and study past election outcomes.

By David Jackson, USA TODAY
BATON ROUGE — Republican Sen. John McCain kicked off the latest phase of the presidential race Wednesday by challenging Sen. Barack Obama to a series of town hall-type debates.

"I propose these town hall meetings be as free from the regimented trappings, rules and spectacle of formal debates as possible," McCain said in a letter to Obama, sent the morning after the Illinois senator clinched the Democratic presidential nomination.

Announcing the proposal at a solo town hall in Louisiana's capital city, McCain said: "I think Americans are tired of the ways presidential campaigns have been run in the past. All the gimmicks, the phony sound bites, and photo-ops."

It would just be him and Obama, McCain said, adding that they do not need "any big media-run productions, no process questions from reporters, no spin rooms."

"Just two Americans running for the highest office in the greatest nation on Earth, responding to the concerns of the people whose trust that we must earn," he said.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: United States | Florida | United States Senate | Illinois | New York City | Louisiana | Earth | Hillary Rodham Clinton | McCain | George Washington | Sen. Barack Obama | Abraham Lincoln | President Kennedy | David Plouffe | Federal Hall | Lincoln-Douglas | Stephen Douglas

McCain also suggested the two candidates travel to the events on the same airplane, with a joke alluding to the financial disparities between the campaigns.

"It would probably help out on energy savings," McCain said. "Given our expenses, I know my campaign would agree to it."

The Arizona senator proposed 10 town halls, one a week between now and the two political conventions. He proposed an opening contest June 12 in New York City, possibly at Federal Hall, where George Washington took the first oath of office as president.

Campaigning in Florida as well as Louisiana, McCain also said he plans to go after Democrats and independents who backed the candidacy of Hillary Rodham Clinton.

"I want to assure them I will be the president of everyone," McCain said.

During the event at a riverfront convention center, McCain praised Clinton's efforts. McCain, noting he was "a father of three daughters," said the former first lady "has inspired women all over America to believe that they can achieve the highest office of this nation."

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said Wednesday that while the town-hall idea is appealing, the campaign would recommend a less-structured, lengthier exchange more in line with the historic Lincoln-Douglas debates.

"But having just secured our party's nomination, this is one of the many items we will be addressing in the coming days and look forward to discussing it with the McCain campaign," Plouffe said.

In the Lincoln-Douglas debates, held seven times during Abraham Lincoln's losing Senate campaign against Stephen Douglas in Illinois in 1858, a candidate spoke for an hour, the other for an hour and a half, and the first candidate was allowed a half-hour rebuttal.

Asked if he would negotiate the format with Obama, McCain said he would only discuss possible ways to "modify the details" of a town hall format.

"The answer is I want a town hall meeting," McCain told reporters, calling it "the most effective way for democracy to function."

McCain noted that back in 1963 fellow Arizonan Barry Goldwater discussed the possibility of joint town halls with President Kennedy, should they oppose each other in the 1964 election. An assassin killed Kennedy in November 1963.

Contributing: The Associated Press

texaspackerbacker
07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Some say Obama is such a great speaker, and McCain is not, hence, an advantage to Obama in debates. I say, Not So.

The reason Obama either is or should be afraid of debates is that he is an all out flaming anti-American extremist. With the huge help of the leftist mainstream media, he has been fairly successful at covering this up.

Debates, however, would be all about the ISSUES. Obama is wrong--blatantly WRONG on virtually all the issues. He knows that he is contrary to the views of the huge majority of Americans, but God damned elitist that he is, he doesn't care--beyond trying to circumvent the views of Americans and getting elected. He wants to get in WITHOUT discussing issues, then inflict his horrendous positions on the American people.

The best way to expose him is debates.

3irty1
07-16-2008, 12:29 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about Barry Zito.

Freak Out
07-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Do us a favor and remove all the BS photo crap and linkage BS when you cut and paste please.

I am all for open debates, town hall meetings and Indian leg wrestling between the candidates. I want to see these guys fucking debate! Lets get some food and beer and go for it. No more staged network BS that has to fit into a specified time slot and no damn commercial breaks please. This is about American Democracy and not about the commercial profits and the media. Make sure it is on cable, SAT and over the air broadcasts as well as radio..AM and FM. No more BS. :evil:

Charles Woodson
07-16-2008, 01:35 PM
I cant vote yet but if i could i would be for McCain.
The thing that scares me the most about Obama is the fact that many see him as a whiteboard, (blackboard if you wana get technical) but he says hes all for change, but he never really speaks about what hes going to change. He lets people project what they think he is going to do. Honestly, i dont know how people could vote for him, he changes his mind sooo much on shit that its just not right.

texaspackerbacker
07-16-2008, 03:50 PM
I cant vote yet but if i could i would be for McCain.
The thing that scares me the most about Obama is the fact that many see him as a whiteboard, (blackboard if you wana get technical) but he says hes all for change, but he never really speaks about what hes going to change. He lets people project what they think he is going to do. Honestly, i dont know how people could vote for him, he changes his mind sooo much on shit that its just not right.

Good points, Charles.

The thing that the sinister leftist media has helped Obama to instill in people's minds is a NEED for change.

Hell No, we don't need change. We are the greatest country in the world in terms of prosperity, freedom, and people's ability to influence government. We are dominant in the world, and showing no likelihood of losing that dominance--unless some dumbass CHANGE PROPONENT comes in and screws up the magnificently good thing we have in this country.

That dumbass would be Obama, and I, for one, am not altogether sure his motivation isn't to bring America down--as opposed to just worsening things through naive and stupid policies.

As I said, it's all about THE ISSUES, and debates will serve to expose Obama's positions as horribly out of touch with what Americans want, not to mention horribly dangerous and harmful.