PDA

View Full Version : OTA REPORT, from a fan. Thursday, June 8, 2006.

gbpackfan
06-08-2006, 05:38 PM
What a perfect day to go watch the Packers practice. Okay, here's what I (a normal know nothing fan) saw today.

STUDS AND DUDS

PRE-PRACTICE STUD:

BILLY CUNDIFF - Some of you who showed up right at 11:15 am might be saying "What is he talking about? Billy Cundiff?" However, for those of you who arrived early, like I always do, would have seen Billy kick FG before practice. He made just about every one of them! It was very impressive. After just missing a 58 yarder, he came back to NAIL ONE! 58 yards! That is pretty damn good.

STUDS:

GREG JENNINGS - FINALLY! The kid put it all together today. Caught the ball well in individual and team drills. Caught two touchdowns from Brett, one a REAL pretty one. I guess ALL touchdowns are pretty though. Caught another pass in traffic and caught the ball with HIS HANDS, not his chest. Caught every punt and looked real smooth in doing so. Great day!

RUVELL MARTIN - Ruvell may have had the best day of any player I have watched! He caught everything thrown his way and is now No. 6 on the depth chart! That may not sound like much, but he has faught his way up and as it currently stands, he is on the team. Made a very impressive catch in traffic on the far sideline and made another nice TD catch, running a fade route. With a kid this big, he should be a real red zone weapon.

AHMAD CARROLL - He did get burned once by Rod Gardner on a crossing route but other then that, he had a great day. Carroll and Manual teamed up in blanketing, I believe Fergie, on a deep pass down the far sideline. The pass fell incomplete and Manual and Carroll crashed into each other. After a few moments Carroll got back up and was ready for action. Carroll was VERY enthusiastic and came ready to play. He congratulates his team-mates when they do well and he seems to be well liked. I just love the attitude this kid came in with this year.

DUDS:

CORY RODGERS - Honestly, I have NOTHING against him and I know many of you think I am picking on him. I am just reporting what I see. Rodgers' stone hands clanked a football into Donald Driver's head during individual drills. Donald was wearing a helmet so there was no threat of injury. Rodgers walked over to Donald and said "sorry." You know what Donald said? "Why didn't you catch the ball!" I love it! Rodgers' piss poor play has caught the eye of the coaches too. He is now working with the 3rd team, way down on the depth chart. All's I can say is, I TOLD YOU SO!

VONTA LEACH - He was basically MIA today. It looks like he has fallen to 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. Are they just trying to give their younger guys a chance or are the sending a message to Leach.

AARON RODGERS - Had another two passes batted down at the line and was intercepted on one of those. Threw about 3 pics in total and looked uncomportable all day. Wasn't impressed with his two minute drill and failed to find open targets when rolling out of the pocket. Bad day.

ONE LINER (or more):

Tom Arth and Brian Wrobel continue to get 0 snaps in team drills.

Donald Driver was flat out amazing today! (He is not in studs section because I could basically put him there everyday)

M. Manual ran with the 1's today.

If you have never had a chance to watch the Packers practice the two minute drill, you haven't lived. It was great.

Favre executed the two minute drill nicely, but the O stalled inside the 20 yard line.

Favre was picked off twice while rolling to his right.

Underwood picked off Rodgers.

Barnett picked off Favre. Great play!

I believe Montez Murphy picked off Rodgers at the line, but it might have been Nichols. I am sorry, it was hard to see if it was 64 or 67 who made the play.

Speaking of Murphy, him and Jason Hunter are working their asses off out there!

NOAH HERRON RAN WITH THE FIRST TEAM TODAY! Gado was the No. 2 back.

Davenport worked in light team drills (almost like a walk through). However, he moved around gingerly on that ankle. It looked awkward. I am getting worried.

Green continues to look like he will back better then ever. It's hard to explain he just looks great.

Speaking of Green, I'd bet none of you could beat him in arm wrestling. Damn does he have some guns!

Mike McCarthy called the plays to Brett's helmet radio during the two minute drill.

WR depth chart was clear today, and it was: Driver, Fergie, Gardner, Boe, Jennings, R. Martin.

During punt return drills, Jennings and Rodgers were the only two returning punts.

Every punt return ran to the returner's right.

Jennings caught punts first.

Many of the coaches continue to wear long sleeves in the heat. I just dont get that!

FB AJ Cooper ran with the No. 1 offense. It appears that he has moved ahead of Brown and Leach. Hendo was there, but he was used all that much. I believe they were sort of resting him. Nothing to be worried about though.

Cooper looked real nice catching the ball out of the back field.

TE Depth chart continued to be, Bubba, Martin and Lee.

Bubba and Lee both had really bad drops.

Boe had a nice catch down the seem.

Fergie was steady but not spectacular.

CB Jerron Wishom was crap today. (Christl mentioned his deflections but not the TDs he gave up!)

Rob Davis has competition at long snapper, his name is Thomas Gafford. Davis was better though.

No O-linemen jumped off-sides. At least not that I saw.

Rod Gardner lined up wrong twice.

MM barked at Brett Favre and co. when they failed to line up properly on one particular play.

The D had at least 5 ints today.

FAVORITE MOMENT

It is so funny to watch the O, I mean all the players on the O, after the D picks off the ball. Every offensive player runs over to the defender with the ball and tries to block their path. It is really funny. It 's like watching youth soccer, you know bunch ball. I'm not sure why they do it, maybe to get it through their heads that they may have to become a defender at any time? Team building? Who knows.

Another great moment came when Brett threw a perfect pass to DD on the far sideline. Brett threw it just over Mike Hawkins who was unable to bat it down, even after jumping high in the air. After the play was over Donald yelled "And I thought you could jump?! So sad!" It was funny as hell. I love it when they talk trash to each other, as long as it's "friendly."

GOING BACK FOR MORE TOMORROW. I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH! ANYONE WANT TO SEND ME SOME GAS MONEY? JUST KIDDING!!!! I'LL HAVE A NEW REPORT TOMORROW EVENING.

:mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

red
06-08-2006, 05:50 PM
great report, thanks

if jennings is looking so good then why is he only #5, are the other guys looking better?

any hawk sightings?

gbpackfan
06-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Come on man. Jennings is still a rookie. Driver, Gardner, Fergie and Boe all have more experience and do look better and more consistent. Jennings is looking good but don't expect the world out of him either. He was a STUD today though!

red
06-08-2006, 06:05 PM
thanks for clearing that up. from what i've read and heard, even from brett today, it sounded like jennings was one of the better ones out there

i don't expect the moon from him this year, but i do expect him to be #3 this year and compete for #2 by the end of the year

but i guess as long as anybody steps up this year and looks like a real #2 i'll be happy

Rastak
06-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Come on man. Jennings is still a rookie. Driver, Gardner, Fergie and Boe all have more experience and do look better and more consistent. Jennings is looking good but don't expect the world out of him either. He was a STUD today though! I don't know, Favre kind of singled him out for praise in his press conference I heard. He may be a good possession reciever and could end up being #3. He sure sounds like a good pick from the reports you guys have given. Of course, preseason when things speed up and the pads are on is a better test.

Badgepack
06-08-2006, 06:15 PM
gbpackfan, great notes from practice, thanks

So glad to hear Ruvell is still stepping up and making plays.
Like you said, a red zone threat and hopefully more.
Seems like each day he is making the plays, we will see if he continues to do so when the pads are on.

woodbuck27
06-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Super Report Packer fan and very fun to read. You really are enjoying attending these OTA's , I'm eating my heart out ,LOL.

Yes ! Favre and the 2-minute drill is a russshhh !!

Sounds to me as if Ahmad Carroll is looking really good. What other CB's are impressing you?

How well is Marquand Manual moving? Does Mark Roman's attitude look OK?

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-08-2006, 06:24 PM
hey thx gb,

Why the hell is brett throwing picks again though. not a good sign

woodbuck27
06-08-2006, 06:32 PM
hey thx gb,

Brett's only trying to make the CB's @ the OTA's appear toooo good - to draw the attention of the likes of Al Harris and Rod Woodson to get them worried that their jobs arn't safe.

Favre said that he has thrown more pass's at this point than any time in his career thus far into the off season and he's not going to extend himself or overthrow and risk tendonitis developing.

Favre will be awesome this year, if we are more set with REAL targets to throw to .

gbpackfan
06-08-2006, 06:47 PM
I will pay real close attention to the CB and their bump and run coverage tomorrow for you guys.

Brett's picks did suck. When he was in the pocket, he was lights out. But when he moved to his right, yikes! Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

MadtownPacker
06-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Man, Carroll is showing something!!!!! Thanks GBPF, I love these reports you lucky bastards write!

Maybe Favre had a flash back of last season and thought he had to chuck one in the endzone?

red
06-08-2006, 07:14 PM
take a camera with you if you can tomorrow, and snap some pictures of hawk in action.

i know i'm not the only one waiting for that

gbpackfan
06-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Red,

My friend took his camera today and I am waiting for him to email me the pics. We took over 80!

MadtownPacker
06-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Red,

My friend took his camera today and I am waiting for him to email me the pics. We took over 80!Thats cool man, let me know if you need somewhere to upload them.

PaCkFan_n_MD
06-08-2006, 08:48 PM
hey thx gb,

Brett's only trying to make the CB's @ the OTA's appear toooo good - to draw the attention of the likes of Al Harris and Rod Woodson to get them worried that their jobs arn't safe.

Favre said that he has thrown more pass's at this point than any time in his career thus far into the off season and he's not going to extend himself or overthrow and risk tendonitis developing.

Favre will be awesome this year, if we are more set with REAL targets to throw to .

its not that i don't think brett will be good this year, but its a little Disappointing

red
06-09-2006, 06:26 AM
hey thx gb,

its not that i don't think brett will be good this year, but its a little Disappointing

brett also said his arm is still out of shape right now, he said he just started throwing a bit a few weeks ago. so that might have something to do with the int's. he also mentioned something about the picks and what he should have done different, so you have to hope he's learning.

he also mentioned that his arm will be the last thing to go on his body

KYPack
06-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Man, How long does OSU have classes anyhow?

The colleges around here have been out for weeks and summer school is getting ready to start.

Give us a full Hawk report when it goes down.

Good job, BTW.

NoVaDMak
06-09-2006, 08:40 AM

Wow. Is this more of a sign that Gado's not doing well or has Herron really been impressive this camp? I've read previously that Gado's doing too much thinking and not read/reacting quickly. How do you think Gado has been doing with the new blocking scheme?

Green Bud Packer
06-09-2006, 08:43 AM
great post gb. how has colledge looked in individual drills?

MJZiggy
06-09-2006, 08:49 AM

Wow. Is this more of a sign that Gado's not doing well or has Herron really been impressive this camp? I've read previously that Gado's doing too much thinking and not read/reacting quickly. How do you think Gado has been doing with the new blocking scheme?

I wonder if perhaps they just needed to get him in there for a little bit--especially considering that by the last 2 games of last season he was the "featured" back. Both Brett and M3 said Sam's doing fine. I think they just needed to see what they have in Herron and have him at least work with #1 team a bit while Ahman and Najeh are still out.

woodbuck27
06-09-2006, 10:54 AM

I really believe with his attitude screwed in as it is that Samkon Gado will be very good. He hasn't shown us much else.

FavreChild
06-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, gbpackfan. Love your format and the detailed observations. You should be on the payroll somewhere... :cool:

PCastleberg
06-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks a ton GBPackfan for going and for taking the time to type that up. Excellent work.

Love your sig BTW, its the same as mine on another board...

PC

ND72
06-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I was at the OTA also, and Favre threw 2 INT's as well YESTERDAY alone....if you're going to pick on Rodgers, open up the book on Favre.

Also, if you were there yesterday, if you saw Cundiff practicing onside kicks...wow...it was pretty sweet. never seen anyone do it like that before.

ND72
06-09-2006, 02:29 PM
And about Samkon Gado...again, trying not to hate. But, Edgar Bennett did mention that Herrion has picked up the offense quicker and is understanding it better than Gado has. He did have a couple good runs in practice yesterday, but on one play, he didn't actually run the play correctly....the zone was an inside zone, and was meant to go inside, where there was plenty of room to run, but instead decided to bounce outside where there was no room, but still ended up with 5 yards....probaly could have been more though if he had followed his guys.

Harlan Huckleby
06-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Herron was damn good at Northwestern. I thought he looked a little slow last season, but apparently he is in better condition now.