PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news : Favre tempted to show up to camp

packers11
07-15-2008, 04:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3490792

Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Favre tempted to show up to camp to call Packers' 'bluff'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

MILWAUKEE -- Brett Favre says he's tempted to show up at the Green Bay Packers' training camp just to call the team's "bluff."

In the second part of an interview with Fox News, the quarterback says he knows his arrival in camp would cause a media circus but that might not stop him. Players are scheduled to report July 27.

The interview is on the show "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren" and is scheduled for broadcast Tuesday night. An excerpt was provided to The Associated Press.

Meanwhile, don't expect NFC North rival Minnesota Vikings to welcome Favre if he is released.

Vikings coach Brad Childress has watched as the Packers and Favre appear headed for a messy divorce.

But the coach of the team regarded as the best place for the disaffected Green Bay quarterback to settle maintains he wants no part of it.

"It's kind of interesting to watch, isn't it?" Childress said Tuesday, referring to the back-and-forth sniping between Favre, who wants to be released, and the Packers, who say they do not plan to oblige that request.

NFL guidelines prohibit Childress from commenting on players under contract with other teams, and the coach said he remains committed to third-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson going into this season.

One of the interesting subplots to arise from the crumbling relationship between Favre and the Packers is the suggestion that the three-time MVP could join the Vikings for one more run at a title.

With Jackson just three years removed from Division I-AA Alabama State, quarterback is considered to be one of the few question marks on a rising team with a veteran defense and a running game featuring Adrian Peterson, last year's offensive rookie of the year behind a solid offensive line.

"You can make an argument for one side and an argument for another," Childress said of the hypothetical prospect of bringing a 38-year-old star quarterback into the mix. "But I can't waste a lot of energy. All I can do is take a look at the waivers every day and see if there's somebody that's better than somebody on the roster. That's really all you can evaluate."

Favre told Fox News on Monday night that he "never fully committed" to retiring and felt pressured by the Packers to make a decision back in March. The Packers have denied that, telling The Associated Press that they wanted to bring him back and didn't make the decision to move on until Favre assured them his decision to retire was final.

It's all added up to one big "soap opera" in Green Bay, as Childress put it. He said he was as surprised at anyone at the acrimony that has surfaced following a 16-year love affair between a player and a franchise.

Childress has experience with that. When he was hired in 2006, he butted heads with franchise quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who was coming off a severe knee injury. Culpepper was dealt to Miami and the Vikings chose Jackson in the second round as the quarterback of the future.

Favre broke Dan Marino's career record for touchdown passes in the Metrodome last season and Childress is 0-4 against Favre in his two-year tenure as Vikings coach.

Childress said it's clear that Favre still has the physical tools to play in the NFL, but he's more concerned with the continued development of his own starter.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 04:18 PM
YESSSSSSSS!!!!!! SHOW UP!!!!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!

I LOVE IT! Stick it to em Favre.. there is no way in hell they put u behind Rodgers and you'll make TT look like the ass clown that he really is...

Charles Woodson
07-15-2008, 04:20 PM
I say both sides cut the crap. Everyone, packer fans and not are sick of hearing both sides. Unfortunately playing it out like men is a little to complicated. Brett needs to show up and camp, and out duel A-rod. I mean if he does then it would leave packers brass with no choice then to play him. As bad as things have gotten, i think things could be mended temporarily. I mean if he shows up, and sucks it up then let him ride the bench or retire. I love brett, always have always will but he really isnt helping himself by doing this.

I can see his intention, that he wanted to come back, TT/MM didnt want him, so he tried to get the media involved to pressure them. I just think it wasnt a smart move

DonHutson
07-15-2008, 04:24 PM

Meanwhile, don't expect NFC North rival Minnesota Vikings to welcome Favre if he is released.

That's a big stretch from Childress's comments in the article. He can't comment on another team's players, so what is supposed to say? He can't say much and he didn't. Saying "we just watch the waiver wires" and "isn't this all interesting" certainly doesn't add up to no way. More like, we'll see...

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Charles... I for one is with Brett for getting the media because the Packers wouldnt deal with him any other way. They were ignoring him. Well guess what, they cant ignore him now cuz this just got even more real.

packers11
07-15-2008, 04:29 PM
If he reports to camp, this will be extremely interesting... Ted's worst nightmare just came true...

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 04:31 PM
I love it... TT whatcha gonna do now you fuckin weasel

Lurker64
07-15-2008, 04:34 PM
If Favre legitimately wants to play football this year, he needs to stop whining, shut his trap, and show up to camp. I don't really even think this puts TT in that bad of a position. Favre whining about how unfair the world is puts Thompson in a worse position than Favre showing up at camp (as is his right), as far as I'm concerned.

DonHutson
07-15-2008, 04:37 PM

MILWAUKEE -- Brett Favre says he's tempted to show up at the Green Bay Packers' training camp just to call the team's "bluff."

So he might show up or he might not? I'm glad we've finally resolved that.

:roll:

falco
07-15-2008, 05:05 PM
tacopete i don't think you need to support TT and you can certainly support BF all you want, but you shouldn't be so gleeful about this team coming apart at the hinges

sharpe1027
07-15-2008, 05:12 PM
So he shows up and wins the starting position. Wow, how terrible for a GM to have to go into a season with a HoF QB and a backup who's prepared to start.

Compare that to the Bears still haven't come up with a starting QB.

Show up Brett, playing with a chip on your shoulder may be just what you needed...

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 05:16 PM
tacopete i don't think you need to support TT and you can certainly support BF all you want, but you shouldn't be so gleeful about this team coming apart at the hinges

Why does him coming to camp automatically mean the team is coming apart? I never even said I wanted to see that did I? I even listened to Al Harris say the locker room wouldnt divide and they would support whoever their QB is come September... he also said with a huge smile he wants to see Brett back...

I am just gleeful that he's coming back and TT will have nothing he can do about it... thats all

ps. be a little more respectful and call my by my real name, thanks

Gunakor
07-15-2008, 05:29 PM
If Brett wins the starting position then I'd fully support him just as I have for 16 years. If Rodgers legitimately wins the starting position - something I have a feeling very well could happen - then I'd fully support Rodgers just as I have Favre for 16 years. This is excellent news. Hopefully we can all put this to rest, and the two of them can settle it themselves with thier play on the field.

GBRulz
07-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I might have to do a drive-by or two that weekend. As far as I know, he hasn't sold his house yet here.

If he really wants to play, showing up and dueling it out IS the way to go about it IMO.

cpk1994
07-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Why does him coming to camp automatically mean the team is coming apart? I never even said I wanted to see that did I? I even listened to Al Harris say the locker room wouldnt divide and they would support whoever their QB is come September... he also said with a huge smile he wants to see Brett back...

I am just gleeful that he's coming back and TT will have nothing he can do about it... thats all

ps. be a little more respectful and call my by my real name, thanksUNfortunately for you, TT has already inferred that Brett CAN come back. Just not automatically the starter. So that part of your argument that this is going to make TT squirm is total BS. 2. AL Harris doesn't speak for the entire locker room as many of the players have supported A-Rod through text messages. You and Al are living in a dream world if you don't think the locker room will divide. Yes Brett can come back. But TT and M3 are under no obligation to play him in any way. Trust me, TT is not quaking in his boots at the though of Brett being in camp. Brett in Packers camp = not in anyone elses camp.

GoPackGo
07-15-2008, 05:49 PM
So he shows up and wins the starting position. Wow, how terrible for a GM to have to go into a season with a HoF QB and a backup who's prepared to start.

Compare that to the Bears still haven't come up with a starting QB.

Show up Brett, playing with a chip on your shoulder may be just what you needed...

cosigned

mmmdk
07-15-2008, 05:53 PM
So Favre comes to camp...to collect his knives?

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 05:59 PM
I love it... TT whatcha gonna do now you fuckin weasel

The Packers can deal with Favre showing up to camp.

I have yet to see one credible accusation about TT or MM's conduct in this whole affair. From start to finish, TT & MM have been honest and accomodating with Favre. I agree that TT was playing a little poker in his recent comments to the public, but big friggin deal.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 06:01 PM
If he really wants to play, showing up and dueling it out IS the way to go about it IMO.

Yes, that would be fine. Unfortunately, Favre has been saying that it is an insult that he not be given the starting job.

GBRulz
07-15-2008, 06:06 PM

Yes, that would be fine. Unfortunately, Favre has been saying that it is an insult that he not be given the starting job.

I never heard him say it was in insult, but if he did...so be it. I don't know why it's an insult and I certainly don't agree with his line of thinking.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 06:08 PM
he mocked the notion of his returning to GB to hold a clipboard.

falco
07-15-2008, 06:09 PM

better to mock a notion than to ridicule a handicapped person

SkinBasket
07-15-2008, 06:12 PM
I never heard him say it was in insult, but if he did...so be it. I don't know why it's an insult and I certainly don't agree with his line of thinking.

Well either he was insulted by the notion when he mentioned it in the Mon interview or Gretta let a wet sulphuric air biscuit loose as he was talking.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 06:14 PM
In Favre's heart-to-heart with Gretta, he said something interesting that has been passed over. He claimed that he understood completely that the team wanted to move-on. He wasn't upset by the team moving on. Supposedly, his only complaint is that the team was not forthcoming in their public remarks.

Well, well. So if Favre accepts the decision, why can't his fan accept the decision? You can judge for yourself whether TT was sufficiently open and honest about it. But fundamentally, Favre claims he was not mistreated.

Or do you Favre supporters think he was lying through his teeth?

the_idle_threat
07-15-2008, 06:15 PM
or Gretta let a wet sulphuric air biscuit loose as he was talking.

This possibility can't be ruled out.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 06:15 PM

better to mock a notion than to ridicule a handicapped person

"It takes a big man to cry. And it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

- Jack Handey

Joemailman
07-15-2008, 06:25 PM
It would be fascinating if Favre showed up at camp. Whether TT and MM want him there, they have to show him respect as long as he is on the team, and that means giving him a chance to battle for the starting job. They would lose all credibility if they put him 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

It would be a spectacle though. I could see large portions of the crowd cheering for Favre and against Arod. That would be a shame as Arod has done nothing to deserve being put in such a situation.

falco
07-15-2008, 06:26 PM
It would be fascinating if Favre showed up at camp. Whether TT and MM want him there, they have to show him respect as long as he is on the team, and that means giving him a chance to battle for the starting job. They would lose all credibility if they put him 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

It would be a spectacle though. I could see large portions of the crowd cheering for Favre and against Arod. That would be a shame as Arod has done nothing to deserve being put in such a situation.

as a packer fan, i see this as a worst case scenario

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 06:28 PM

Shhh, Paco Pete sees this as the best case scenario.

Tony Oday
07-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Favre has forever tarnished his image in my mind. He is being the little kid on the playground that isnt getting his way. TT and MM chartered a fricken jet to go get him then he waffled AGAIN. WTF. Man up Brett. Show up to camp and claim what is yours. He comes to camp he is the starter. TT works a deal with AR that pays him what he was supposed to make if he started and he gets another year where he doesnt have to do anything.

Charles Woodson
07-15-2008, 06:30 PM

As a packer fan? thats the best scenario, that he comes and battles for the position. It would be the worst for packer brass to put him 3rd or 4th unless he truly sucks it up. but for him to come back and compete for the job would be the best.

falco
07-15-2008, 06:31 PM

As a packer fan? thats the best scenario, that he comes and battles for the position. It would be the worst for packer brass to put him 3rd or 4th. but for him to come back and compete for the job would be the best.

its way too late for that, IMHO - at this point, it would destroy the team

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 06:33 PM

not necessarily. there is still time for some attitude adjustments.

I see all of the hard feelings as being repairable. ITs the fans who are messed up the most, they need the intense therapy.

Bretsky
07-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Several points

Cut the shit; I want both sides to cut the media game crap
Favre should send his papers and show up

TT should welcome him back or trade him immediately

This should come to an end soon

And one more thing; Tavarius Jackson is the our divisions best friend. The Vikings have a nice core of talent. Thank God for Tavarius. They would be morons not to jump at getting Favre in there to try to lead them deep into the playoffs.

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 06:50 PM
TT should welcome him back or trade him immediately.

Its not clear that a trading partner is available that TT can live with.

twoseven
07-15-2008, 06:52 PM

not necessarily. there is still time for some attitude adjustments.

I see all of the hard feelings as being repairable. ITs the fans who are messed up the most, they need the intense therapy.I say the Packers take a page out of Belicheat's Patriot playbook on this one..they should turn this whole problem that they have created for themselves into the league's problem by claiming they were somehow disrespected by everyone on the planet during their infighting and self made dillema (when they clearly were not) and use that anger to kick some ass.

Charles Woodson
07-15-2008, 06:52 PM

As a packer fan? thats the best scenario, that he comes and battles for the position. It would be the worst for packer brass to put him 3rd or 4th. but for him to come back and compete for the job would be the best.

How would it destroy the team? the beef is only with TT really. MM plays a role, but i see them getting along fine, Favre still has chemistry with his WR, I think the jump from Favre to A-rod would be harder for the recivers then this.

B, i think you summed it up the best.

Bretsky
07-15-2008, 06:56 PM
TT should welcome him back or trade him immediately.

Its not clear that a trading partner is available that TT can live with.

Ah garbage somebody will take him

Give him away for a late round pick if need be

The other option is either to give him a fair shake in camp or release him

IMO TT does not want to explore either of them

Kiwon
07-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Why is Captain America, Farve, acting like such a prick?

I thought his family couldn't wait for him to retire and now his wife sets up his media strategy when he gets his "itch" back.

No player in NFL history did more to earn the respect he receives and just when he has the rest of his life on a silver platter he starts to tear away at his own legacy. Some how "team-first" Brett Farve became "ego-first" Brett Farve.

Folksy, down to earth, humble Brett Farve is turning into a real jerk. Very sad to see.