PDA

View Full Version : This is hard on everyone, including the Packers

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 04:20 PM
The #1 pitfall Thompson has said about being a GM is having to let players go. He knows first hand what it feels like to be moved on from. When you hear him tell the story you'd think his heart was still in that Houston Oilers lockerroom being stepped on and kicked around by the young draft picks that took his spot.

He talks about how hard this is on the Packers to see a person go through this. It's the exact situation that he's talked about dreading since the day he got here. The exact situation that he can hardly stomach every year when he has to make cuts, esspecially to veterans.

They have a choice, but they made a football decision to move forward. After Brett's final retirement they made a decision to move forward and seem genuinely excited about the guy they have and genuinely empathetic for the guy that tried to come back but was told they moved forward. Brett is obviously hurt. He never thought this day would come and probably feels mistreated, old, guilty for things he could have done better and generally on the outside. Just pure rejection. Nobody seems at all happy to see this happening to Brett but they know what it feels liek and they do dread it.

All Brett did was leave the door open and all the Packers did was go through it. Nobody angry, nobody sinister, just a tough deicsion that hurts for fans, hurts for the Packers, hurts for Brett. It's really just too bad such a great career is ending publicly like this.

BallHawk
07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
:roll:

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Favre tempted to show up to camp to call Packers' 'bluff'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

MILWAUKEE -- Brett Favre says he's tempted to show up at the Green Bay Packers' training camp just to call the team's "bluff."

In the second part of an interview with Fox News, the quarterback says he knows his arrival in camp would cause a media circus but that might not stop him. Players are scheduled to report July 27.

The interview is on the show "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren" and is scheduled for broadcast Tuesday night. An excerpt was provided to The Associated Press.

Meanwhile, don't expect NFC North rival Minnesota Vikings to welcome Favre if he is released.

Vikings coach Brad Childress has watched as the Packers and Favre appear headed for a messy divorce.

But the coach of the team regarded as the best place for the disaffected Green Bay quarterback to settle maintains he wants no part of it.

"It's kind of interesting to watch, isn't it?" Childress said Tuesday, referring to the back-and-forth sniping between Favre, who wants to be released, and the Packers, who say they do not plan to oblige that request.

NFL guidelines prohibit Childress from commenting on players under contract with other teams, and the coach said he remains committed to third-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson going into this season.

One of the interesting subplots to arise from the crumbling relationship between Favre and the Packers is the suggestion that the three-time MVP could join the Vikings for one more run at a title.

With Jackson just three years removed from Division I-AA Alabama State, quarterback is considered to be one of the few question marks on a rising team with a veteran defense and a running game featuring Adrian Peterson, last year's offensive rookie of the year behind a solid offensive line.

"You can make an argument for one side and an argument for another," Childress said of the hypothetical prospect of bringing a 38-year-old star quarterback into the mix. "But I can't waste a lot of energy. All I can do is take a look at the waivers every day and see if there's somebody that's better than somebody on the roster. That's really all you can evaluate."

Favre told Fox News on Monday night that he "never fully committed" to retiring and felt pressured by the Packers to make a decision back in March. The Packers have denied that, telling The Associated Press that they wanted to bring him back and didn't make the decision to move on until Favre assured them his decision to retire was final.

It's all added up to one big "soap opera" in Green Bay, as Childress put it. He said he was as surprised at anyone at the acrimony that has surfaced following a 16-year love affair between a player and a franchise.

Childress has experience with that. When he was hired in 2006, he butted heads with franchise quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who was coming off a severe knee injury. Culpepper was dealt to Miami and the Vikings chose Jackson in the second round as the quarterback of the future.

Favre broke Dan Marino's career record for touchdown passes in the Metrodome last season and Childress is 0-4 against Favre in his two-year tenure as Vikings coach.

Childress said it's clear that Favre still has the physical tools to play in the NFL, but he's more concerned with the continued development of his own starter.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Hey Harrell.. the Packers shoulda locked that door cuz that career is not over it looks like.. haha

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Paco, the Packers seem genuinely commited to their decision. The time to change their mind was on June 20th when Favre said "give me my helmet or give me my release". At that point they could have taken him back and saved this whole mess. Instead they got together with Murphy and Harlan and they started to grease the wheels on this PR machine. They made a clear decision to move on and at this point will probably not change their mind as they already had that option when it was much easier to do so.

I'm sure the Vikings enjoy this but the Packers have one of the best lockerrooms in the leage and I think one of the best coaches. One player is not going to tear them apart. The sooner they can get this over the better, but Rodgers seems to have loads of support and everyone who ever talks about this starts out by saying "Rodgers didn't do anything to deserve any of this". NObody is going to hate him for this, they will more than likely rally around him for dealing so well with a bad situation.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Harrell... I dont think they are gonna have a choice if he shows up to camp..

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Harrell... I dont think they are gonna have a choice if he shows up to camp..

We'll see. I think they would rather start Rodgers and if they were affraid of the media circus they would have just cut it off when they had the free and easy chance. They're prepared to take this thing to the finish line. They knew Brett wanted back and knew they'd have ot reinstate him if he demanded it. They already chose to deal with it. I doubt they'll turn back now. It'll be very dramatic to watch play out though. I don't know if Brett can swallow all of the pride it would take to come back or if he's vindictive enough to try to divide a lockerroom but you never know. It could get worse before it gets better. I think he clearly looked rejected and hurt. He could do anything I suppose.

vince
07-15-2008, 04:47 PM
It's hard on Rodgers too. Kids won't even take his autograph!!

Rodgers Dissed by Kid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMCmyHSnvx4&eurl=http://packershome.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=703)

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 04:50 PM
that... was... hilarious....

Gunakor
07-15-2008, 05:50 PM
that... was... hilarious....

What's so funny about it? Do you hate Rodgers simply because he's not Favre too?

vince
07-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm firmly in Rodgers' camp, and I thought it was hilarious too. The way he walked off and gave the kid the ol' double guns and waved him off was comical, you got to admit... :lol:

cpk1994
07-15-2008, 05:57 PM
that... was... hilarious....And....you....are...an...asshole..

falco
07-15-2008, 06:02 PM
aaron rodgers conduct throughout this has made me a huge fan of his, and I really bad want to see him succeed now (even more so than just as a fan of the packers).

GBRulz
07-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Aaron has always been really great about signing for the fans. Even when outside of the stadium. I remember one time a bunch of us were with the guy who (at the time) owned the GB Gamblers. I'm good friends with his fiance and he knows Aaron well, which is why i've been able to hang with him on several different instances. Anyhow, Aaron was with and some people just totally cut right in and ask (told) him to sign something. He did. I'm like "Doesn't that irritate you?" and he said it actually rarely happens. Most of the locals are very considerate about bothering the players on their private time. I have to agree with that.

I'm sure he could care less if that kid wanted his autograph or not.

GBRulz
07-15-2008, 06:04 PM

My god, lighten up people.

falco
07-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Aaron has always been really great about signing for the fans. Even when outside of the stadium. I remember one time a bunch of us were with the guy who (at the time) owned the GB Gamblers. I'm good friends with his fiance and he knows Aaron well, which is why i've been able to hang with him on several different instances. Anyhow, Aaron was with and some people just totally cut right in and ask (told) him to sign something. He did. I'm like "Doesn't that irritate you?" and he said it actually rarely happens. Most of the locals are very considerate about bothering the players on their private time. I have to agree with that.

I'm sure he could care less if that kid wanted his autograph or not.

#1) GBRulz i'm getting sick of your name dropping, you're getting to be as bad as mission - I saw LeRoy Butler at the pickerel gas station but you don't hear me bragging about it - ps just kidding

#2) maybe the kid was a Ben Rothlisberger fan and didn't want Rodgers autograph on the football??? Just like if you were gonna have Favre sign a football you wouldn't want Daunte Culpeppers autograph

GBRulz
07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
hmm, how do I take that Falco, since i have no clue who mission is !!! :wink:

If that kid had a clue, he would realize that Rodgers autograph will be worth more than Big Ben's :lol:

cpk1994
07-15-2008, 06:12 PM

My god, lighten up people.You obviously haven't read his posts lately have you?

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 06:13 PM

I didnt have anything to do with Favre or me and my feelings on this current situation, nor if i like Arod or not...

it had to do with it actually being funny that the kid snubbed him most likely cuz he didnt know who he was... my god u guys take a chill pill

falco
07-15-2008, 06:14 PM

I didnt have anything to do with Favre or me and my feelings on this current situation, nor if i like Arod or not...

it had to do with it actually being funny that the kid snubbed him most likely cuz he didnt know who he was... my god u guys take a chill pill

pffft rastak is more of a packer fan than you are

GBRulz
07-15-2008, 06:19 PM
I have read enough to know that he wants Favre back. Quite honestly, I'm not sure what that has to do with calling him an asshole for thinking that video was funny. I thought it was funny, too...I'm I going to be called a bitch because of it?

I just hate the dividing of Packers fans because of all this crap.

falco
07-15-2008, 06:21 PM
I have read enough to know that he wants Favre back. Quite honestly, I'm not sure what that has to do with calling him an asshole for thinking that video was funny. I thought it was funny, too...I'm I going to be called a bitch because of it?

I just hate the dividing of Packers fans because of all this crap.

if not this, it would be something else......

pro-Sherman anti-Sherman
pro-Thompson anti-Thompson
pro-Favre, anti-Favre
pro-Rodgers, anti-Rodgers
pro-force out rule, anti-force out rule

this is eternally a community divided

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 06:21 PM
ahhh, it's "hard" on people, but not hard like having to go to Afghanistan, or getting layed off, or finding your wife in bed with your brother, or your doctor telling you your dick is gonna fall off.

The Favre incident is "hard" in the same sense that it was hard when the Gong Show got canceled. ITs just entertainment.

Zool
07-15-2008, 06:23 PM
ahhh, it's "hard" on people, but not hard like having to go to Afghanistan, or getting layed off, or finding your wife in bed with your brother, or your doctor telling you your dick is gonna fall off.

The Favre incident is "hard" in the same sense that it was hard when the Gong Show got canceled. ITs just entertainment.

You liar, you were never in Afghanistan.

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 06:35 PM

Isn't the Gong show coming back on Comedy Central?

Harlan Huckleby
07-15-2008, 06:36 PM
be still my beating heart

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/gong_show/index.jhtml

there it is... haha

Tarlam!
07-16-2008, 06:55 AM
...I'm I going to be called a bitch because of it?

Like, duh- as if we needed a reason Michele! :taunt:

I know, I know: :smack:

Big Hug!