PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers, a little comparison.

chain_gang
07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
I've read and have heard many people say, that Rodgers will be injured this year, due to the fact that he got hurt last year during practice, and the year before in limited action against the Patriots. I think it's still early to call him injury prone, and believing he will get hurt this year because of his past injuries is majorly flawed argument.

But here's a comparison I like a lot.

Steve Young was the starter during 1991 season, due to Montana being out for the year, he wasn't spectacular his first season, with the 49ers being 4-4 midway through the year, he suffered a knee injury, and missed 6 games, replaced by Steve Bono. Young came back in week 15, and the 49ers finished 10-6. Missing the playoffs.

Now here's where the comparison gets more interesting.

During the offseason, after the 1991 season, with Montana due to be returning from injury, the 49ers were actually shopping Steve Young, and planned on Montana being the starter. Well the deals fell through to trade Young, and Montana wouldn't be able to start the year at QB. Young ended up being hurt in the 5th game(Concussion). He ended up coming back the following week. The only action Montana saw was during the last game of the regular season. Young ended up winning NFL MVP that year, and then during the offseason the 49ers ended up trading Montana to the Chiefs. During the beginning of the 1993 season, Young was injured again(Thumb injury). He didn't miss any time, but he was ineffective for the the first four games of the year, by year end he was on a torrid pace and showed that the 49ers made the correct move. 1994, I think we all know enough about what happened then. Super Bowl MVP, Super Bowl record 6 TD passes, NFL MVP, 35TD's 10Int's, over 70% comp., and a QB rating of 112.8.

The rest of his career is history.

The point of this is, what would have happened to the 49ers if they would have traded Young after the 1991 season, if they had of seen enough to believe he was injury prone, or not the guy to take them to a Super Bowl. The Fact is Young made them a contender, year in an year out, after the Montana years. The 49ers had a tough choice to make, whether to live out of the past, or was it time to move on to the future. The right move is to also looked ahead to the future.

In conclusion, what we all need to realize is this isn't 1996/1997 anymore, at some point Green Bay has to look to the future, and that time is now. We have the supporting cast to ease the burden on Rodgers, much like the 49ers did with Young, Granted we don't have the Best Receiver ever in Jerry Rice. But our team structure is very similar to the 49ers. It's time to move forward, the pieces are in place.