PDA

View Full Version : Favre situation much like Kelly's

Pacopete4
07-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Favre situation much like Kelly's
by Chris Brown, Lead Journalist Last Updated: 7/15/2008 2:56 PM ET

Email Alerts Forward To A Friend Print Page Wireless Alerts Wireless Feeds

Brett Favre's second thoughts about retiring are nothing new in the NFL. There have been dozens of prominent players that still believe they have a lot of the game left in them. Bills Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly was in the exact same place as Favre 11 years ago.

"No matter what you do if you've succeeded and you're passionate about the game you always have second thoughts," Kelly told Buffalobills.com. "You always know that you can still play better than some of the quarterbacks out there."

That coupled with the fact that Favre had nothing to look forward to at the end of the summer for the first time in 17 years is what Kelly believes made him reverse his retirement decision.

"It's tough for him, there's no doubt," said Kelly. "He's passionate about the game just like I was. When you're passionate about something for so long and that's all you've ever done since you were a little boy and now all of a sudden you have nothing to do, that's hard."

Kelly's 13-year career ended in a playoff loss on home turf, much the way Favre's did this past January, only Kelly was knocked from the game with a concussion.

Ironically, after making it known that he was going to retire the Bills organization approached Kelly with a similar query to that of the Packers with Favre.

"My situation is almost identical to Brett's because when I announced my retirement they asked me if I would entertain being a backup and I said, 'I will never be a backup in this league. I'd rather retire,'" said Kelly. "They thought Todd (Collins) deserved a chance after I decided I was going to step away."

The Packers seem to be committed to beginning a new era in much the same way with Aaron Rodgers. And much like Kelly, Favre believes he is still a starting caliber signal caller in this league.

The difference is Favre appears willing to play for another NFL franchise after having his services refused by Green Bay in a starting capacity. Kelly, though he received overtures from other NFL clubs shortly after he retired, didn't want to wear another team's uniform.

"I wanted to play for one team and one team only," said Kelly.

And Favre might choose that route as well as he stated in an interview with FOX News that he "might not play anywhere" when all is said and done.

Kelly believes it would be a decision Favre could rest easier with than quarterbacks like himself or Dan Marino.

"For him he's won a Super Bowl, he's been MVP, he's got more money than probably most owners, so what's left for him to accomplish," Kelly asked rhetorically. "He's got about every record out there. But the one thing I see is passion. He's got passion for the game. If he comes back God bless him."

Selfishly though Kelly hopes Favre chooses another common interest they share besides football.

"I've already put my call in to him asking him when he wants to go hunting," said Kelly chuckling. "But that's put on hold for now I guess."

Chevelle2
07-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Jim Kelly's always been a class act.

falco
07-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Jim Kelly's always been a class act.

amen

The Shadow
07-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Oh, I thought you meant R. Kelly.
That's a relief!