PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Duck Football Player Drowns

oregonpackfan
07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Oregon Duck defensive back Todd Doxey drowned in the McKenzie River which flows through Eugene. Alcohol is not considered to be a factor.

Doxey did not know how to swim. Another factor in his death was the 58 degree temperature of the river which flows from Oregon's Cascade Mountains. A very heavy snowfall last winter and a cool spring led to a late snow melt which has cooled the water considerably.

Doxey was well like and respected by his coaches and teammates. He also was a 3.5 student in high school.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beaversfootball/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1216094107198390.xml&coll=7

Jimx29
07-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Such irony :?

Deputy Nutz
07-17-2008, 08:59 AM
How does a Duck drown?

SkinBasket
07-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Call me overly cautious, but why the fuck is someone who doesn't know how to swim jumping 30 feet off a bridge into a cold river?

Freak Out
07-17-2008, 09:45 AM
58 is warm.

oregonpackfan
07-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Call me overly cautious, but why the fuck is someone who doesn't know how to swim jumping 30 feet off a bridge into a cold river?

The guy was 20 years old. Most of us have done foolish things when we were that age. I certainly did.

There has been over half a dozen drownings in the cold Oregon rivers this spring.

Medical authorities report that when the body is suddenly immersed in cold water(like jumping off a bridge) there is often a gag reflex where the mouth is forced open. The victim inhales water and the drowning process begins.

Deputy Nutz
07-17-2008, 12:13 PM

The guy was 20 years old. Most of us have done foolish things when we were that age. I certainly did.

There has been over half a dozen drownings in the cold Oregon rivers this spring.

Medical authorities report that when the body is suddenly immersed in cold water(like jumping off a bridge) there is often a gag reflex where the mouth is forced open. The victim inhales water and the drowning process begins.

I understand if this happened to an above average swimmer, but someone that is not a very good swimmer or can't swim at all should have better sense than jumbing into any kind of natural waterway, much less from thirty feet in the air.

Darwinism claims another victim

SkinBasket
07-17-2008, 01:09 PM

There's a difference between doing something foolish and doing something you know can kill you. I could understand if the guy was mentally retarded. Sure, being 20 puts you close, but it doesn't - or shouldn't - negate your basic survival instincts, no matter how hot it is.