PDA

View Full Version : If the Packers thought they needed Brett to win

RashanGary
07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
What do you think?

BF4MVP
07-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Their jobs depend on winning games..So I think they would take Favre back if they thought they needed him in order to win.

PackerTimer
07-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I hope nobody actually votes no on this. There is no way the Packers front office is not concerned with winning football games. They at least BELIEVE Rodgers gives them a good chance to win this year. Are they right or wrong? I don't know, we'll see I guess.

Edit: Too late I guess. Somebody already voted no. :?

Bretsky
07-15-2008, 10:28 PM
They know Favre gives them the best chance to win in 08.

They are sick of the drama and think it's in the best long term interests of the team to move forward without him.

I'm not sure I agree with either explanation in the poll

GBRulz
07-15-2008, 10:31 PM

They are sick of the drama and think it's in the best long term interests of the team to move forward without him.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bossman641
07-15-2008, 10:38 PM

I don't really agree on either explanation earlier, but I am really pumped to see Rodgers now. Hopefully MM knows very well what he has in Arod. There's certainly gonna be a ton of pressure on him, but here's hoping he's up for it.

Is the benefit of Favre's presumed better play worth the headache of his retirement talk?

What helps the team more? Having Aaron, Jennings, Jones, and Nelson learn and grow together; or giving it one last shot with Favre?

Is the "tone at the top" that the organization is setting more important then any ill feelings that may arise in players or fans?

I just want to put this all behind and actually see some football.

GrnBay007
07-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Who do you think gives the Packers the best chance to win the super bowl?

Brett Favre 88% 7660

Aaron Rodgers 12% 1035

total votes: 8695

Lurker64
07-15-2008, 10:53 PM
What does the poll mean by "win"? Is it "win the superbowl"? Is it "win some games"? Is it "win enough games to make the playoffs"?

I believe that both Rodgers and Favre will be able to win enough games to make the playoffs. I wouldn't predict either is good enough to win the superbowl, because once you're in the playoffs it's pretty much a crapshoot (particularly in July). Favre may give a better edge to win it all once in the playoffs, but Favre certainly didn't play his best ball towards the end of the season.

You don't win the Superbowl by having the best team in July and August, you win the Superbowl by getting hot in December-February. Having the best team in the autumn just gets you the chance to make the playoffs, which is something I firmly believe all involved think Rodgers is good enough to do.

Deputy Nutz
07-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Slanted question. I think that Thompson is actually looking past 2008. He is done he has worked the free agent market, picked his rookies, and outside of the waiver wire at the beginning of September his job has already been completed for 2008.

DonHutson
07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Their best chance to win comes from having a QB who is 100% committed physically and mentally to the team - now, in the playoffs, and every week (check that, every DAY) in between.

The real question then is whether they can believe Favre is that guy all of a sudden after Favre himself doubted that all summer long. It would appear that the Packers are not convinced and they would like Favre to prove it before they give him his starting job back.

I have little doubt that Favre is still more talented. I can't help being concerned that football may become a burden to him again at some point before the season is over.

texaspackerbacker
07-16-2008, 03:30 PM
I was gonna say, stupidly worded poll; How could anybody possibly vote no, they don't care about wins and losses; But low and behold, 52% voted no--go figure!

mission
07-16-2008, 03:33 PM

they KNOW?!?!

no they dont.

they dont KNOW that.

im pretty sure they might even disagree with that.

if you want to get strictly scientific -- the only environment where we saw them BOTH play was dallas. and the difference was dramatic.

dont take that as me saying that's the all-telling measuring stick of the conversation but lets get real. underlining and bolding shit cuz you are just so sure is retarded.

is rodgers the next favre?

no!!!

*could* he end up winning _two_ super bowls during his career without all the records?

yep.

feasible?

very.

could he win two super bowls without ever throwing a ball to a running back underhanded while about to get sacked ... you know, the things that make brett so gosh darn great!?

and as far as im concerned -- records or not -- if he did that, measuring his success as a packer versus favre's is pretty straight forward.

1 vs 2 ...

stats dont win us super bowls. we've learned that.

reggie does.

:P

Carolina_Packer
07-16-2008, 03:33 PM
I hope nobody actually votes no on this. There is no way the Packers front office is not concerned with winning football games. They at least BELIEVE Rodgers gives them a good chance to win this year. Are they right or wrong? I don't know, we'll see I guess.

Edit: Too late I guess. Somebody already voted no. :?

Perhaps that implies their confidence in Rodgers. If they had doubts, I think they would be faster to bury the hatchet with Brett and bring him back as the starter once he's reinstated.

Carolina_Packer
07-16-2008, 03:35 PM
What does the poll mean by "win"? Is it "win the superbowl"? Is it "win some games"? Is it "win enough games to make the playoffs"?

I believe that both Rodgers and Favre will be able to win enough games to make the playoffs. I wouldn't predict either is good enough to win the superbowl, because once you're in the playoffs it's pretty much a crapshoot (particularly in July). Favre may give a better edge to win it all once in the playoffs, but Favre certainly didn't play his best ball towards the end of the season.

You don't win the Superbowl by having the best team in July and August, you win the Superbowl by getting hot in December-February. Having the best team in the autumn just gets you the chance to make the playoffs, which is something I firmly believe all involved think Rodgers is good enough to do.

So the Vikings didn't already win the Super Bowl? Whew! :-)

The Leaper
07-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Good poll question!

Their jobs depend on winning games..So I think they would take Favre back if they thought they needed him in order to win.

Ah, but both TT and MM signed hefty extensions recently. Their jobs are not as dependent on winning games right now.

woodbuck27
07-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Their best chance to win comes from having a QB who is 100% committed physically and mentally to the team - now, in the playoffs, and every week (check that, every DAY) in between.

The real question then is whether they can believe Favre is that guy all of a sudden after Favre himself doubted that all summer long. It would appear that the Packers are not convinced and they would like Favre to prove it before they give him his starting job back.

I have little doubt that Favre is still more talented. I can't help being concerned that football may become a burden to him again at some point before the season is over.

Geee I wish you to be absolutely correct, but that's not the way it is. Do I ever hope I'm wrong but NO!

TT has it where he's wanted it for some time. no backing down fr. him now unless his Boss's direct otherwise. He really buys more time with his constant slant on re-building. Now it's the let's get our new starting QB grounded and winning on some consistent basis.

TT's a sly fox. :D

I didn't select either option in this poll. The proper selection wasn't available. The poll is 'as foxy' as our management.

mission
I was gonna say, stupidly worded poll; How could anybody possibly vote no, they don't care about wins and losses; But low and behold, 52% voted no--go figure!

thats why i never vote in these polls. you'll learn, son. :P

The Leaper
Slanted question. I think that Thompson is actually looking past 2008. He is done he has worked the free agent market, picked his rookies, and outside of the waiver wire at the beginning of September his job has already been completed for 2008.

So what was Ryan Grant last year?

Thompson's job for 2008 sure as hell better not be done.

The Leaper
07-16-2008, 03:38 PM

It isn't that they don't care at all about winning...but whether or not winning in 2008 is more important than other factors.

So I guess you could say it is poorly worded, but I got the drift and think it is a valid question to ask of people.

sheepshead
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
What do you think?

I think its obvious. Maybe give some thought before you create these posts. If MM and TT thought ARod couldnt win !) he wouldnt here at all, and 2) Brett wouldnt get the "push back" he's getting now. What other explanation can there be?

p.s Jesus would never have voted for same sex marriage or partial birth abortions.