PDA

View Full Version : Favre set to ask for reinstatement

packers11
07-16-2008, 01:08 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080715/PKR01/80715161/1057/PKR&located=RSS

Favre set to ask for reinstatement

Goodell has no reason to hold up request

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

Brett Favre is ready to make the next move in his face down with the Green Bay Packers and petition NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for reinstatement to the team’s roster, which would leave the next move in the Packers’ hands.

Though Favre hasn’t filed his official retirement papers with the league, he is on the Packers’ reserve/retired list, and by NFL rules, has to ask the commissioner in writing for reinstatement to the team.

A source close to Favre said he is going to petition the league, and though he didn’t say when, the assumption is it will be sooner rather than later so Favre can be traded to a new team before training camp.

“He’s going to write the letter to the commissioner,” the source said. “We’ll see what happens from there, I guess.”

In an interview on Fox News with Greta Van Susteren on tonight, Favre never addressed the reinstatement letter, but said he’s certain he wants to play football this year, though he doesn’t know if circumstances will work out for him to play.

The 12-minute segment — the second of an interview that was taped Monday — also more starkly revealed the widening rift between Favre and team management since Favre has become more adamant in the past three to four weeks that he wants to return for another season after announcing his retirement in March. The growing animosity will make it especially hard for Favre to return to the team.

The Packers are perplexed that Favre has changed his mind about playing so late in the offseason after telling them twice in March — once early in the month, again late in the month — that he couldn’t commit 100 percent to playing. They argue that his decision left them no choice but to prepare the team in offseason practices to move on with Rodgers at quarterback, with all the practical and psychological dimensions that includes.

The source said Favre, on the other hand, feels the Packers pushed him into an early decision regarding retirement, and they could have given him more time to decide. Favre also intimated in the interview that he’s upset the Packers don’t want him back and also seem to be doing everything possible to prevent him from playing for another team.

Also, Favre strongly suggested he’s lost trust in his personal relationship with General Manager Ted Thompson, though Favre never mentioned Thompson by name.

“How am I supposed to trust that they’re working on a trade after the things that have been told to me in the past?” Favre said. “Teams may have called and said, ‘We’re interested.’ Well, you know, they may never tell us. The longer this goes on, the less likely I am to play with someone because of the time factor.”

If Favre petitions and receives reinstatement, the next move would be the Packers’. They’d have to add him to their 80-man roster or release him. Thompson has said in recent public statements that he’s ruled out releasing Favre, so the presumption is he’d put Favre on the roster.

An NFL spokesman said the commissioner would have no deadline to respond to a reinstatement request. However, Goodell would have no reason to delay the ruling, and Favre is a shoo-in for reinstatement since there are no legal or other issues jeopardizing his eligibility.

The Packers’ players are required to report for camp on July 27 and begin practicing July 28. Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy would have to decide whether to leave the door open to him attending training camp, and the potential problems that could cause, or trade him before camp begins.

In the TV interview today, Favre said a flat “no” when asked if he would return as the Packers’ backup quarterback and dismissed the idea of competing with Rodgers for the starting job with the one-word answer, “Why?”

“They’ve been preaching about, ‘We want to protect Brett’s legacy’ — we both know what that’s about,” Favre said. “How does that protect my legacy if I’m a backup? ‘Brett, we’ll welcome you back, we’ll pay you $12 million, but you have to hold a clipboard and ball cap.’ That’s probably better for them as opposed to letting me go somewhere and me coming back (and beating the Packers), then their legacy, the management, could be in jeopardy. Let me worry about that. You don’t worry about my legacy. It’s a bunch of bull, it’s all it is.”

Favre also said he isn’t inclined to report for training camp just to see what the Packers would do, or to force the team’s hand by creating a disturbance because of his presence.

“It’s tempting, because everyone’s saying call their bluff or whatever,” he said. “I think (training camp) is going to be a circus in itself already, whether I go there or whatever. I like my teammates, I had a lot of fun with them. I’ve talked to numerous guys throughout this whole ordeal. I wish them the best, I really do. I hold nothing against those guys. We had a lot of fun together. It was an amazing year last year. I don’t want to make it any worse than it is. I’ve always been a Packer, always will be a Packer. Will I play somewhere else? Remains to be seen. But I don’t want to go back there just to stick it to ’em.”

Despite all the talk, there’s no knowing what could happen between Favre’s reinstatement, if he follows through with the request, and the start of training camp.

Thompson and McCarthy have told Favre they’ve committed to Aaron Rodgers as their starting quarterback, and their continued stance strongly suggests they’re happy with what they’ve seen in Rodgers.

Assuming Favre remains steadfast that he won’t come back as a backup or to compete for the starting job, the Packers’ only other options would be to bring him back as the starter or trade him.

The greatest risk of bringing him back is ruining the franchise’s relationship with Rodgers, who would feel undercut after being assured all offseason that the team is his to run. Rodgers is under contract through 2009, and if he’s upset enough, he could leave the team as a free agent after that year, and all the time the Packers have taken to develop him would go for naught. The Packers would have the option of putting their franchise tag on him after the ’09 season, but that would come at a great cost and with at most only the 2009 season to evaluate him as a starter.

There’s also a question of how Favre’s return would affect a locker room that McCarthy has prepared to go on without Favre after his dominant presence the past 16 years. Both quarterbacks undoubtedly would have their supporters among players, and Thompson and McCarthy would have to project whether that would be a long-term problem.

The far more likely option appears to be a trade.

“(A trade) is hard to imagine,” Favre said, “but if I’m going to play — obviously, I’d have to agree to whoever it is, and I’m sure they’re not going to do it with a big rival or competitor or whatever. But that may be their only option. I don’t know what else to do.”

Favre also expressed at least some sympathy for Rodgers, who is facing a difficult task succeeding a legend.

“The one thing in this, I do feel bad for Aaron a little bit,” Favre said. “I think he’ll do a fine job, to be totally honest with you, I do. He has been injured. I mean, the two injuries are not his fault. Couldn’t control (it). I know this has been tough on him. I think he’ll do a fine job. And this has nothing to do with him, this whole deal.”

Pacopete4
07-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Well here is where we find out what TT really is going to do... let the Legend come back for another hurrah or trade him away along with some of the hora of the Packers... its gonna be an interesting watch for the next week here

on a side note.. I hope whatever happens, happens before this weekends celebration of Frankie Winters and Gilbert Brown... they deserve their time in the spotlight.

mmmdk
07-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Favre can write?

cpk1994
07-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Well here is where we find out what TT really is going to do... let the Legend come back for another hurrah or trade him away along with some of the hora of the Packers... its gonna be an interesting watch for the next week here

on a side note.. I hope whatever happens, happens before this weekends celebration of Frankie Winters and Gilbert Brown... they deserve their time in the spotlight.Or he can come back with out the hurrah and stew on the bench.

vince
07-16-2008, 07:11 AM
If this report is true (and it makes sense), the facts lead toward him being a Buc soon. There were numerous independent reports from Tampa that he was seen at their facility and had dinner with the Bucs' GM and owner...

woodbuck27
07-16-2008, 07:40 AM
If this report is true (and it makes sense), the facts lead toward him being a Buc soon. There were numerous independent reports from Tampa that he was seen at their facility and had dinner with the Bucs' GM and owner...

I saw him on the local late sports show and he looks in outstanding condition. He looks awesome.

cpk1994
07-16-2008, 08:26 AM
If this report is true (and it makes sense), the facts lead toward him being a Buc soon. There were numerous independent reports from Tampa that he was seen at their facility and had dinner with the Bucs' GM and owner...IF those rports are(most likely they are BS) true that is tampering, becuase I highly doubt the Packers have given them permission to talk to Favre since Favre is still retired.

vince
07-16-2008, 08:29 AM
If this report is true (and it makes sense), the facts lead toward him being a Buc soon. There were numerous independent reports from Tampa that he was seen at their facility and had dinner with the Bucs' GM and owner...IF those rports are(most likely they are BS) true that is tampering, becuase I highly doubt the Packers have given them permission to talk to Favre since Favre is still retired.
Why wouldn't the Packers give him permission to talk with a team they may have decided they're interested in making a trade with?

Spaulding
07-16-2008, 08:32 AM
I fully believe Favre provides the Packers the best chance to win this year. But what if the reason he won't compete is that due to last years practices, etc. he knows that there is a strong chance Rodgers could fairly beat him?

Just wondering as although I don't necessarily believe that but what if?

He probably doesn't want to compete though for the following valid reasons:

A) Left as the starter and had a phenominal year and thus why should he lose position after a few months of off season

B) Might not get a fair shake as if things are close they go with younger Rodgers

C) He's Brett Favre

Tarlam!
07-16-2008, 08:36 AM
He probably doesn't want to compete though for the following valid reasons:

A) Left as the starter and had a phenominal year and thus why should he lose position after a few months of off season

B) Might not get a fair shake as if things are close they go with younger Rodgers

C) He's Brett Favre

Ooooh, oooh, I lnow! I know!

It's C) He's Brett Favre!

But in all honesty, is Favre the automatic starter ANYWHERE in the league 'cept for the Fins or Bear's??

packinpatland
07-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Once again.......... 'sources close to Favre'
There's alot of 'ifs' in this article.

Is there any earthly reason why reporters can't wait for the news instead of creating and speculating?

Also reported in this article:
"Favre also said he isn’t inclined to report for training camp just to see what the Packers would do, or to force the team’s hand by creating a disturbance because of his presence."
Which directly contradicts the headlines today.

Spaulding
07-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Based on last year's performance he's definitely top five. The question though is that 2008 is another year. Is 2007 the year we should expect from him when his QB rating was 95 or 2005/2006 when his rating was just over 70 both years?

Logic would say the talent level (i.e. specifically the receiving corps) is far better but then again he's also another year older and possibly playing in a slightly different offensive scheme this year.

This leads to another question, what would the answer to this whole drama be if it had happened one year earlier?

Tarlam!
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
This leads to another question, what would the answer to this whole drama be if it had happened one year earlier?

DING DING DING - I think we have a winner!

Heck, what about after the 4-12 fiasco. TT talked him into coming back. If he'd have pulled this back then, he would undeniably have been welcomed back as the saviour almighty!

HarveyWallbangers
07-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Vince, not to question you, but where were the numerous independent reports? Do you have links? One poster posted a link to a forum where a guy said he saw Favre talking to the owner? It wasn't credible. Were there other reports or did the other rumors all stem from this non-credible report?

The Leaper
07-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I don't see Favre going to camp with Green Bay. The team has made it clear they don't want him there, and Favre respects the team too much to show up and create a circus. He said as much in his interview.

Rastak
07-16-2008, 09:30 AM

Vince, not to question you, but where were the numerous independent reports? Do you have links? One poster posted a link to a forum where a guy said he saw Favre talking to the owner? It wasn't credible. Were there other reports or did the other rumors all stem from this non-credible report?

I don't have links but I saw about 3 different reports and the Bucs have now denied they hosted Favre this week. I'm kind of doubting this story.

edit: Here's one

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul/15/bucs-gm-mum-interest-favre/

LL2
07-16-2008, 10:06 AM
They better get a #1 or at least a #2 rd pick if they trade him.

vince
07-16-2008, 05:58 PM

Sorry about being late to the party Harv. Busy day today.

I deserve to be questioned after this. Boy was I wrong. I'm not even going to waste the time to bring up the links at this point, but there were a number of radio statiosn in Tampa reporting that Favre was touring the facilities and at dinner. There seemed to be too many eye witness accounts of people who claimed to have seen him and too many local (Tampa) accounts of this, but anyone can call into a radio sports show and corroborate a rumor for shits and giggles. Given that the other report by GBPG indicated Favre was set to file for reinstatement, I mistakenly put credence in those reports because if Favre were getting set to apply for reinstatement, the logical conclusion to draw would be an impending trade.

MJZiggy
07-16-2008, 08:14 PM

Sorry about being late to the party Harv. Busy day today.

I deserve to be questioned after this. Boy was I wrong. I'm not even going to waste the time to bring up the links at this point, but there were a number of radio statiosn in Tampa reporting that Favre was touring the facilities and at dinner. There seemed to be too many eye witness accounts of people who claimed to have seen him and too many local (Tampa) accounts of this, but anyone can call into a radio sports show and corroborate a rumor for shits and giggles. Given that the other report by GBPG indicated Favre was set to file for reinstatement, I mistakenly put credence in those reports because if Favre were getting set to apply for reinstatement, the logical conclusion to draw would be an impending trade.

People saw Elvis for 15 years after he died too...but I digress. There was one part of this article that I did have a particular issue with and it was this:

Assuming Favre remains steadfast that he won’t come back as a backup or to compete for the starting job, the Packers’ only other options would be to bring him back as the starter or trade him.

I call BS. If Favre remains steadfast that he won't come back as a backup or compete for the starting job, the Packers can simply put him on the roster and let it be. They aren't required to do anything more and if Favre don't wanna compete, he can stay home and rack up fines or sit on the bench. Or reretire.

He can't have it both ways. If the team doesn't trade him and he applies for reinstatement, his choices are compete or go home.