PDA

View Full Version : The perfect plan

packers11
07-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I think its simple.

Tell Favre to get his ass back and be the starter and shut the fk up for good...

Give Aaron Rodgers a 5-6 million dollar bonus (as if he was playing) and a year added to his contract... Explain to him the tough situation and that he will indeed get his chance sooner or later.

Steve Young had to wait 4 years... Its year 3 for Rodgers, and unless Favre plans on playing for another (2-3 years) which I don't see happenning. Then it shouldn't be an issue.

CaptainKickass
07-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Best Idea I've heard.

A-rod is still the future, Favre get's his wish, they could have TT, MM and BF all do a nice "we're all friends again" press conference.

Only thing I would add is to have Favre clarify - one more yr, 2 more or what? How do you make him hold to that commitment?

dabootski
07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
packers11: that is EXACTLY how i've been hoping this will be resolved for the last week or so.

rodgers: bummed that he isnt starting this year. stoked that he's got some cash to blow (maybe go make it rain in vegas, i hear its all the rage in the nfl...)

favre: some hurt feelings but ultimately he is back as the leader of the team i feel he wants to be leading.

mccarthy/TT: again, some hurt feelings, but they have to know their chances of winning THIS year are better with #4 as the starter. also have some assurance that the packers/rodgers relationship is okay enough that if he works out the following season or two they have a chance at signing him up for a multi-year deal.

maybe it is just not possible/probable but it seems like a "happy/storybook/pass-me-a-tissue/i-still-love-you-too" ending to this bullshit situation.

Carolina_Packer
07-16-2008, 10:51 AM
That would be cool. Once Brett gets with the team and is in work-mode, I'm sure he won't be thinking about all the dealings of the off-season.

sheepshead
07-16-2008, 11:27 AM
I think its simple.

Tell Favre to get his ass back and be the starter and shut the fk up for good...

Give Aaron Rodgers a 5-6 million dollar bonus (as if he was playing) and a year added to his contract... Explain to him the tough situation and that he will indeed get his chance sooner or later.

Steve Young had to wait 4 years... Its year 3 for Rodgers, and unless Favre plans on playing for another (2-3 years) which I don't see happenning. Then it shouldn't be an issue.

I dont know what theyll do with ARod contract but I see Brett coming back for one more year. I dont think TT has any other good choices here.

The Leaper
07-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Thompson will trade Favre. He's already made it known that Favre is not welcome as the starting QB in Green Bay...and having Brett as a backup would be counterproductive to giving Rodgers the starting job. How can the kid be expected to play when NFL legend Brett Favre is looking over his shoulder?

Favre will not be playing QB for the Packers ever again. Thompson has made is painfully clear that is not an acceptable option.

Freak Out
07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
That would work for me but I have to agree with Leaper in that TT and M3 believe they have passed the point of return and are going with the post Favre retirement plan. I think they are being far to rigid and are turning their back on a QB that we all know can win....but they are the GM and HC and who knows....they could be making the right decision?

Deputy Nutz
07-16-2008, 04:24 PM
This all could be over and done with. How you ask. Favre could simply put out a press release stating:

"Brett Favre is going to report to Packers Training Camp on the 27th of July, he plans on earning his job all over again through training camp, and on Monday Night Football against the Vikings he plans on being the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers."

Instead of handling this situation as an ego driven future Hall of Fame Quarterback, he needs to start handling this like the competitor and leader that all of the Packer fans across the World have come to love and respect. A little humility and hard work will go a long way in ending all this drama.

what to do with Aaron Rodgers, simple if the Packers believe so strongly in Aaron Rodgers then the Packers need to do two things. Re-up his contract. Pay him a salary this year that would equal the salary he would make if he met all of his incentives in 2008, at the minimum. Add 3 or 4 more years to his contract paying him like a top ten starter including quarantee monies. It is a risk for a player that has never started a game, but the Packer will smell like roses coming out of this fiasco.

You don't trade either Favre or Rodgers, they will both hopefully lead the Packers to victorious seasons for years to come.

woodbuck27
07-16-2008, 04:53 PM
This all could be over and done with. How you ask. Favre could simply put out a press release stating:

"Brett Favre is going to report to Packers Training Camp on the 27th of July, he plans on earning his job all over again through training camp, and on Monday Night Football against the Vikings he plans on being the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers."

Instead of handling this situation as an ego driven future Hall of Fame Quarterback, he needs to start handling this like the competitor and leader that all of the Packer fans across the World have come to love and respect. A little humility and hard work will go a long way in ending all this drama.

what to do with Aaron Rodgers, simple if the Packers believe so strongly in Aaron Rodgers then the Packers need to do two things. Re-up his contract. Pay him a salary this year that would equal the salary he would make if he met all of his incentives in 2008, at the minimum. Add 3 or 4 more years to his contract paying him like a top ten starter including quarantee monies. It is a risk for a player that has never started a game, but the Packer will smell like roses coming out of this fiasco.

You don't trade either Favre or Rodgers, they will both hopefully lead the Packers to victorious seasons for years to come.

Ohhh.... how some of us pray for just something like that Nutz.

Just too simple.

Partial
07-16-2008, 04:53 PM

I've got to imagine that Favre would take them up on this offer if presented. Part of me wonders if the Packers said there is no way, shape or form he will be there starting quarterback.

Noodle
07-16-2008, 04:56 PM
You're dead on, Nutz, but Favre is past the point of no return on this. Wasn't it last year when he responded to questions about when and whether he was going to show up with the classic no-I-in-team line, "What are they going to do, cut me?"

He believes in his soul that it's his God-given right to start, and most of Wisconsin agrees with him. Of course, this is the exact opposite of the attitude TT is trying to create with his mania about drafting lots of guys so that there's always lots of competition at every position. Nobody can afford to get fat.

Favre is the lone hold out. He does what he wants. And I don't blame him for that, I'd feel entitled too after all he's done. But I've said before and I'll still say it still, you want your team leader to be the first guy at every work out and the last guy to leave, kind of like Driver, to at least pretend he fears getting cut.

Favre is just not capable at this point of pretending. So you can forget that particular scenario.

woodbuck27
07-16-2008, 05:29 PM
You're dead on, Nutz, but Favre is past the point of no return on this. Wasn't it last year when he responded to questions about when and whether he was going to show up with the classic no-I-in-team line, "What are they going to do, cut me?"

He believes in his soul that it's his God-given right to start, and most of Wisconsin agrees with him. Of course, this is the exact opposite of the attitude TT is trying to create with his mania about drafting lots of guys so that there's always lots of competition at every position. Nobody can afford to get fat.

Favre is the lone hold out. He does what he wants. And I don't blame him for that, I'd feel entitled too after all he's done. But I've said before and I'll still say it still, you want your team leader to be the first guy at every work out and the last guy to leave, kind of like Driver, to at least pretend he fears getting cut.

Favre is just not capable at this point of pretending. So you can forget that particular scenario.

Of course I feel your right Noodle. Sadly it's over for Favre as a Packer.

He should simply retire and hide for a while. :D

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 08:05 AM

I see what you are saying. I think this is actually very true of Favre DURING the season. The guy works his ass off.

I don't think he loves offseason stuff. To him, it is boring and tedious. Does it pay to have your leader there...but bored? I know I'm not at all productive when I'm bored. I think that sets a worse example than not showing up at all.

These are professional adults we are dealing with, not 12 year olds. The players in the NFL get it. They know why Favre gets treated differently. They know the work and effort he has put in over the last 16 years in Green Bay. They understand the guy is 38 years old and has absorbed more punishment on the field than just about any QB in NFL history. They understand he needs time to make a decision on his future.

The notion that the players somehow will think they deserve what Favre gets is ludicrous IMO. They know why he is where he is.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 09:21 AM
I wish there was a possibility of this happening...but I doubt it.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080717/SPORTS01/807170359/1089/rss18

Expect Favre back as starting QB for Pack
BY DREW SHARP • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • July 17, 2008

The flip-flop isn't necessarily a character flaw.

Changing one's mind gets a bad rap sometimes because we've become conditioned to believe that it reflects internal weakness. Staying the course -- even if it's the wrong course -- somehow echoes a sturdiness of character, even though the path potentially leads toward the edge of a cliff.

Brett Favre is now officially a self-absorbed diva, transforming in a matter of days from the Contented Warrior to the Conflicted Egotist. On Tuesday, the Associated Press reported that the former Green Bay quarterback who retired in March would petition the NFL for reinstatement to the Packers.

But Favre is guilty only of career uncertainty. If that's a crime of depleted integrity, then we'll all stand convicted of a similar charge at some point in our lives.

Favre has every right to his indecisiveness in something so personally important. But so, too, do the Packers have every right to their decisiveness in something so professionally important. The Packers cannot commit unlimited time to a superstar who can't quickly and firmly evaluate his own level of commitment.

Everybody wants a villain in this soap opera, but one doesn't exist.

There will be lasting lines drawn in the sand between Favre and the Packers' management in the coming days, but emotions inevitably will give way to common sense within both camps. There will be a shift in direction, and they'll find a suitable resolution that likely will bring back Favre as Green Bay's starting quarterback for one final season.

And then they'll part ways in 2009.

That's the wisest course.

That's not management caving in to public pressure or the distortions of a megalomaniac athlete. It's simply a matter of not allowing ego masquerading as toughness to cloud reasoned judgment.

The political animus currently coursing through this nation resulted from a stubborn unwillingness in those elected to acknowledge prior mistakes.

But often, the best judgment isn't steadfastly clinging to the emotional whims of the immediate moment.

There are worse things than being branded a flip-flopper. Would wearing the tag of "hard-headed loser" feel any better?

The Packers' best chance of returning to the Super Bowl this season is squeezing another year of what remains in Favre's arm and guts. They know that. They appreciate that, even though they have one of the league's younger teams, there remains a win-now urgency in the NFL.

And there's also a local fan base that genuflects whenever it sees No. 4.

But it's never easy for the individual or the team when a brilliant career approaches its twilight.

Barry Sanders seems classy and dignified now because he walked away from football and never looked back. But he was initially painted a quitter when, 10 years ago, he bolted from the Lions on the eve of training camp after giving mixed signals for months about whether he would retire.

Like Favre, Sanders was dismayed with team management. Like Favre, Sanders believed his automatic Hall of Fame credentials liberated him from the constraints of a specific team-orchestrated timetable. And like Favre, Sanders retired knowing that he could still perform at a Pro Bowl level.

But it doesn't necessarily profess a stronger character that Sanders kept his word.

It just made him a lesser competitor.

Give me the flip-flopper, because buried beneath the indecisiveness burns a strong desire to win.

mission
07-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Hey speaking of soap opera... relax on the drama there Woody.

Desire and doing something about it are two separate things. You dont gotta TELL anyone how bad you want something when you're just there ... getting the damn thing.

Pretty simple.

This isn't a perfect situation. It's retarded and that simple "press release" and having Favre back will split the locker room. Make no mistake about it. You guys don't understand team dynamics very well if you think otherwise.

ND72
07-17-2008, 10:01 AM
I think its simple.

I think it's simple also. He's under contract. Put up or shut up. He said he might "call the Packers bluff"....GOOD, then put the man pants on and do it. stop the talk and do something.

GoPackGo
07-17-2008, 10:22 AM
This would be a perfect plan.
Ted Thompson takes a look at how Coach Ken Wisenhunt handled the Matt Leinart-Kurt Warner QB controversy situation last year in Arizona. Matt Leinart struggled at the beginning of the season. Coach knew that Warner could come off of the bench and win some games. In a brilliant coaching maneuver, Coach created a “Package” where Kurt Warner would come into the game and run plays from that package, while Leinart regrouped on the sidelines. While being interviewed Coach avoided anyone labeling it a QB controversy by answering “Matt is the starter, and Kurt comes in on packages that have been designed for him. “
Why can’t Brett be the starting QB with Rodgers coming in for certain packages?
You get the best of both worlds. HOF QB remains on the team, young QB in training gets an opportunity to show what he can do.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Ted Thompson takes a look at how Coach Ken Wisenhunt handled the Matt Leinart-Kurt Warner QB controversy situation last year in Arizona. Matt Leinart struggled at the beginning of the season. Coach knew that Warner could come off of the bench and win some games. In a brilliant coaching maneuver, Coach created a “Package” where Kurt Warner would come into the game and run plays from that package, while Leinart regrouped on the sidelines. While being interviewed Coach avoided anyone labeling it a QB controversy by answering “Matt is the starter, and Kurt comes in on packages that have been designed for him. “
You get the best of both worlds. HOF QB remains on the team, young QB in training gets an opportunity to show what he can do.And what was Arizona's record again? How many playoff games did they win again?

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 10:30 AM
You get the best of both worlds. HOF QB remains on the team, young QB in training gets an opportunity to show what he can do.

I brought that idea up several weeks ago...and I think it could EASILY work in Green Bay. McCarthy is a strong enough offensive coach to pull it off, and Favre and Rodgers both have enough experience in the system that it could work. It would be to the Packers benefit...because the differences between the 2 QBs in how defenses have to play them, like Leinart and Warner, are striking.

Design packages for Rodgers and let him run 2-3 series per game as well as mop-up duty. It would likely reduce Favre's attempts to under 400 for the season and keep him fresh for a stretch run.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
And what was Arizona's record again? How many playoff games did they win again?

That isn't the question. There is more that goes into that than just the QB position.

The question is whether or not the Cardinals were better with the QB combo than they would've been just going with Leinart alone.

I think the answer is yes. Their record would've been worse if Leinart was left to flounder on his own.

cpk1994

I brought that idea up several weeks ago...and I think it could EASILY work in Green Bay. McCarthy is a strong enough offensive coach to pull it off, and Favre and Rodgers both have enough experience in the system that it could work. It would be to the Packers benefit...because the differences between the 2 QBs in how defenses have to play them, like Leinart and Warner, are striking.

Design packages for Rodgers and let him run 2-3 series per game as well as mop-up duty. It would likely reduce Favre's attempts to under 400 for the season and keep him fresh for a stretch run.Again, what was Arizona's record? How maany playoff games did they win? That was a real brilliant strategy.

GoPackGo
And what was Arizona's record again? How many playoff games did they win again?

The Packers are better than the Cardinals at nearly every position. The Cardinals didn't miss the playoffs because of the QB situation, rather they missed the playoffs because they aren't that good and they had injuries.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Again, what was Arizona's record? How maany playoff games did they win? That was a real brilliant strategy.

Again...that isn't the question at hand. Comparing the depth and talent of the two rosters overall is ludicrous.

GoPackGo
07-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Design packages for Rodgers and let him run 2-3 series per game as well as mop-up duty. It would likely reduce Favre's attempts to under 400 for the season and keep him fresh for a stretch run.

looks like you already thought of this before my post!

oregonpackfan
07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't like the concept of revolving quarterbacks. In my experience, it rarely works at the collegiate or pro level. The QB's lose continuity and are focused on avoiding mistakes rather than making proactive moves.

It also breeds discontent. You end up with camps among the players and fans as to who should be the lone starter.

KYPack
07-17-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't like the concept of revolving quarterbacks. In my experience, it rarely works at the collegiate or pro level. The QB's lose continuity and are focused on avoiding mistakes rather than making proactive moves.

It also breeds discontent. You end up with camps among the players and fans as to who should be the lone starter.

Yeah.

It won't work.

Mobs and Pro Football teams both need the same thing.

1 man to lead 'em.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Again, what was Arizona's record? How maany playoff games did they win? That was a real brilliant strategy.

Again...that isn't the question at hand. Comparing the depth and talent of the two rosters overall is ludicrous.Actually that is the part of the question as it was hailed as a brilliant move. Their record proves otherwise. Revolving QB don't work.

The Leaper

I agree that most times it is counterproductive. However, the Packer situation is also rare. How often does an NFL team have TWO guys on the roster with a firm knowledge of the team's system and that are both capable starters?

Your point revolves around QB situations where guys are COMPETING and roles are not really understood. Your point revolves around situations where the team isn't even sure who the better QB is or who should be starting.

In my viewpoint, the Packers situation would not be one of competition. I don't see the players taking sides...I think the players like and respect both Favre and Rodgers, although in different ways of course. Favre would start because he is far more experienced and offers the best chance at winning...but Rodgers should also play because he brings things to the table that Favre can't, and that forces the opposing defense to have to spread their preparation thin to cover all the bases.

Noodle
I don't know -- it worked pretty well for Florida with Leak and Teabow, and it used to be not uncommon at the college level to rotate qbs.

If Favre is going to be a Packer, and I have huge doubts about that, I'd want A-Rod to get live reps this year in situations where it mattered. The organization needs to know whether A-Rod can be the man, and the best way to find out is to let the kid develop a body of work.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 10:48 AM
I don't know -- it worked pretty well for Florida with Leak and Teabow, and it used to be not uncommon at the college level to rotate qbs.

If Favre is going to be a Packer, and I have huge doubts about that, I'd want A-Rod to get live reps this year in situations where it mattered. The organization needs to know whether A-Rod can be the man, and the best way to find out is to let the kid develop a body of work.It was not uncommon at the college level.....until coaches realized it just didn't work. Tebow and Leak were the exception, not the rule.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 10:49 AM
The organization needs to know whether A-Rod can be the man, and the best way to find out is to let the kid develop a body of work.

Rodgers is under contract for two more years.

If he is the starter this year, he'll want an extension after this one...or he'll be upset and could still test the market just as much as if he was still the backup in 2008.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 10:50 AM
It was not uncommon at the college level.....until coaches realized it just didn't work. Tebow and Leak were the exception, not the rule.

Yeah...so Favre and Rodgers could be the exception. Again, it is RARE that an NFL team has 2 guys at QB that are both capable starters. Most teams don't even have one capable starter at this point.

GoPackGo
07-17-2008, 10:51 AM

Again...that isn't the question at hand. Comparing the depth and talent of the two rosters overall is ludicrous.Actually that is the part of the question as it was hailed as a brilliant move. Their record proves otherwise. Revolving QB don't work.

From a PR standpoint it was brilliant, and the QB position didn't cause the team to lose. To me the only thing that can hold this young talented Packers team down is drama in the media, clubhouse, and team management. Strong leadership and creativity is what the Packers need now.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 10:57 AM

From a PR standpoint it was brilliant, and the QB position didn't cause the team to lose.BUt if the Packers don't make the playoffs becuase of revolving QB's, thats OK. The PR is awesome!. Im sure Cardinal fans (both of them)love the PR over a playoff berth. :roll:

mission
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM

Who the hell labeled (sorry, heralded!!!) that brilliant? Michael Irvin?

Maybe just a desperate move for a coach who had a shitty old QB and a promising young one with absolutely no experience.

Leinert is no Rodgers.

Warner is no Favre.

Packers are no Cardinals.

CPK is No Mission.

:P

Next.

I can only imagine Favre with that 40 yard throw across the middle into traffic after waiting two series to get in the game and just trying to make an immediate impact.

Sideline tension always helps professional football teams win.

It works in college because there is no ego yet, seniority is exactly that and starting quarterbacks arent 14 years apart in age.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I can only imagine Favre with that 40 yard throw across the middle into traffic after waiting two series to get in the game and just trying to make an immediate impact.

If the guy can come in on 4th down after a concussion and throw a bullet TD pass...only to not even remember doing it later...then I'm sure he will be just fine coming in after a 10 minute break.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 11:03 AM

If Favre stays home, and Rodgers struggles...you don't think there will be sideline tensions?

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 11:04 AM

If Favre stays home, and Rodgers struggles...you don't think there will be sideline tensions?

you seem to be good buds with Favre. Tell him to file his papers and come to camp, we can use him.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 11:04 AM
It works in college because there is no ego yet, seniority is exactly that and starting quarterbacks arent 14 years apart in age.

Reggie Bush had no ego in college?

BWAH-HA-HA-HA

College players are CONSTANTLY bending rules in college because their ego is out the roof. These guys have been coddled since they were 12.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 11:05 AM
you seem to be good buds with Favre. Tell him to file his papers and come to camp, we can use him.

I'd love to. He can be a real pussy at times.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Maybe just a desperate move for a coach who had a shitty old QB and a promising young one with absolutely no experience.

Leinert is no Rodgers.

Warner is no Favre.

CPK is No Mission.

Next.

It works in college because there is no ego yet, seniority is exactly that and starting quarterbacks arent 14 years apart in age.You might want to reread the thread as it was GoPackGo that labeled at as a brilliant move and it was he and The Lepaer who brought it up in the first place.

Deputy Nutz
07-17-2008, 11:37 AM

I agreed with you on this Leaper. Add this to my above post and I think both parties are pacified for the short term. Rodgers gets his playing time, Favre keeps his streak and really all is well. Unfortunately this isn't the case like many of you pointed out. We don't live in fairyland, I can't make wishes to get this thing straightened out.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
We don't live in fairyland, I think Woody does. :lol:

Merlin
07-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Thompson will trade Favre. He's already made it known that Favre is not welcome as the starting QB in Green Bay...and having Brett as a backup would be counterproductive to giving Rodgers the starting job. How can the kid be expected to play when NFL legend Brett Favre is looking over his shoulder?

Favre will not be playing QB for the Packers ever again. Thompson has made is painfully clear that is not an acceptable option.

Then Ted Thompson is quite possibly the dumbest person in the NFL.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 11:47 AM
We don't live in fairyland, I can't make wishes to get this thing straightened out.

MAybe you just haven't met the right fairy. And why you want to get straightened out, anyway? Be proud of who you are.

Deputy Nutz
07-17-2008, 12:11 PM
We don't live in fairyland, I can't make wishes to get this thing straightened out.

MAybe you just haven't met the right fairy. And why you want to get straightened out, anyway? Be proud of who you are.

Stop hitting on me.

mission
07-17-2008, 12:36 PM

Leinert is no Rodgers.

Warner is no Favre.

CPK is No Mission.

Next.

It works in college because there is no ego yet, seniority is exactly that and starting quarterbacks arent 14 years apart in age.You might want to reread the thread as it was GoPackGo that labeled at as a brilliant move and it was he and The Lepaer who brought it up in the first place.

well dammit then!! :cry: :cry: