PDA

View Full Version : Favre waiting on reinstatement

digitaldean
07-16-2008, 12:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3491920

Sounds like ol' Bus wants the Packers to make the next move.

Read it and sound off....

Rastak
07-16-2008, 12:55 PM
"If he asks for reinstatement and they start fining him $15,000 a day [for not reporting to training camp], well that just doesn't make sense," Cook said.

"We're going to let Green Bay decide what they want to do. It's their move."

Is Bus an idiot? They don't have to make ANY move.

Harlan Huckleby
07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
What a joke.

Lord Favre is delaying filing to block the team from ending the situation with a trade.

Apparently, Team Favre thinks they can beat Team Packers in an ugly public relations campaign. Now, I have to grant them, there are a large number of Lord Favre sychophants who are willing to excuse any and all outrageous behavior by Him. But TT and MM are not going to cave to public pressure.

FAvre is leaving on the lowest of low notes.

packers11
07-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Right now we have until the sixth week [of the regular season] and Brett has made it pretty clear that he is not willing to come in as a backup.

what a moron... If Favre misses any training camp, he will not be ready for ANY TEAM!!! this is the QB position not a position were you can come in and just play... What a joke...

The Leaper
07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Lord Favre is delaying filing to block the team from ending the situation with a trade.

I don't think Favre really wants to play for anyone else. He isn't interested in learning a new system or working with a bunch of new players. I've maintained that all along.

He wants to play for Green Bay. I think he is beginning to see that isn't going to happen, and so he is highly likely to remain in retirement.

cpk1994
07-16-2008, 01:05 PM
I always thought that Brett's nieveness was a southerni thing. Turns out he just that dumb. THey are playing right into TT's hands.

Harlan Huckleby
07-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Right now we have until the sixth week [of the regular season] and Brett has made it pretty clear that he is not willing to come in as a backup.

what a moron... If Favre misses any training camp, he will not be ready for ANY TEAM!!! this is the QB position not a position were you can come in and just play... What a joke...

He (Favre) is evidently not interested in playing elsewhere, perhaps because he is not sensing interest in him around the NFL, given that the PAckers will block him from playing on an NFC competitior.

Favre is focused on forcing the Packers to take him back with a public relations campaign.

Harlan Huckleby
07-16-2008, 01:07 PM

I don't think Favre really wants to play for anyone else. He isn't interested in learning a new system or working with a bunch of new players. I've maintained that all along.

He wants to play for Green Bay. I think he is beginning to see that isn't going to happen, and so he is highly likely to remain in retirement.

agreed, that's probably the outcome

Patler
07-16-2008, 01:08 PM
"If he asks for reinstatement and they start fining him $15,000 a day [for not reporting to training camp], well that just doesn't make sense," Cook said.

I think he must be. The Packers can do absolutely nothing while Favre/Cook do all the complaining they want to, and where will it put them? The same exact place they are right now.

If he applies for reinstatement and does not report, the Packers will simply put him on the "inactive/did not report" list that holdouts are put on. They don't pay him but still hold his rights. Fines are meaningless.

The only way he can try to force a release/trade is to report. I doubt they will keep a $12 million backup.

Rastak
07-16-2008, 01:10 PM

I think he must be. The Packers can do absolutely nothing while Favre/Cook do all the complaining they want to, and where will it put them? The same exact place they are right now.

If he applies for reinstatement and does not report, the Packers will simply put him on the "inactive/did not report" list that holdouts are put on. They don't pay him but still hold his rights. Fines are meaningless.

The only way he can try to force a release/trade is to report. I doubt they will keep a $12 million backup.

Exactly. Unless there is some devious behind the scenes stuff going on this makes ZERO sense from Favre's perspective. Maybe Leaper is right, he may simply cave and call it a day and this is the start.

sharpe1027
07-16-2008, 01:10 PM
He (Favre) is evidently not interested in playing elsewhere, perhaps because he is not sensing interest in him around the NFL, given that the PAckers will block him from playing on an NFC competitior.

Favre is focused on forcing the Packers to take him back with a public relations campaign.

Just show up and blow Rodgers out of the water with your play. Who gives two shits about public relations? If the fans were making personell decisions, myself included, the Packers wouldn't win a game.

The longer this goes on, the more mud Favre slings, the more friends Favre throws under the bus, and the more his family tries to attack the Packers, the more people will be sick of Favre.

PackerTimer
07-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Actually, this creates more sympathy for me towards Favre. He obviously wants to play for the Packers. I'm solidly in the camp that says it's time to move on now. But if he hadn't made so many damn mistakes over the last four months this thing could have been avoided and he'd still be our starting QB. Such a disappointing situation.

His unreasonble distrust in TT and his waffling is going to cost him a chance to QB a Super Bowl caliber team. So sad. He's been toying with retirement for three years and was always smart enough to not make a quick decision. This year he messed up.

The Leaper
07-16-2008, 01:18 PM
He's been toying with retirement for three years and was always smart enough to not make a quick decision. This year he messed up.

He hasn't always made a quick decision. He just hasn't had someone behind him ready to go and a GM with a twitchy trigger finger.

PackerTimer
07-16-2008, 01:22 PM
He's been toying with retirement for three years and was always smart enough to not make a quick decision. This year he messed up.

He hasn't always made a quick decision. He just hasn't had someone behind him ready to go and a GM with a twitchy trigger finger.

Leaper people have been saying TT has wanted him out for three years. Why now would Favre jump the gun and make a quick decision. It doesn't make sense.

Chevelle2
07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
if he wants out, would he send the papers in? im admitedly confused

Patler
07-16-2008, 01:31 PM

In 2007 he announced his decision February 2nd, after a so-so year. He had waited until April in 2006 after the horrendous season. I can't see how March this year was being so "quick".

Partial
07-16-2008, 01:35 PM
From the Campen quote does anyone else feel like the Packers want Favre to force their hand as then they will be "forced" to have a competition and have Favre unseat Aaron? The wording seems peculiar to me.

PackerTimer
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM

In 2007 he announced his decision February 2nd, after a so-so year. He had waited until April in 2006 after the horrendous season. I can't see how March this year was being so "quick".

I guess when I said quick I was thinking in terms of when he was ready. As you mentioned, he never worried about timelines in the past and always made a decision in his own time whether that be February or April. But this year he didn't. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think there was that much pressure on him, at least not more than in any other year, to make a decision.

Partial
07-16-2008, 01:40 PM
"He says, 'You know, I know they told you they're moving on and playing there's not an option," Favre said, according to a full transcript of the interview obtained by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Playing here in Green Bay is not an option, which that's what they want. They want to move on. But I'm telling you, if you reinstate or you force their hand, back them in a corner, they feel like they have no other option, they're going to accept you back."

A member of the team says Force their hand. Go ahead and do it and you will get what you want. That quote is very interesting to me. It either speaks of Campens faith in Rodgers, his admiration for Favre, or an agenda.

sharpe1027
07-16-2008, 01:41 PM
From the Campen quote does anyone else feel like the Packers want Favre to force their hand as then they will be "forced" to have a competition and have Favre unseat Aaron? The wording seems peculiar to me.

I don't know if Campen was directed by the Packers or just two friends talking. I think they are perfectly fine with Favre retiring and they want to show support for Rodgers, but if Favre comes back they will start him. Just my opinion.

packers11
07-16-2008, 01:41 PM
www.rotoworld.com

The agent for Brett Favre denies a Green Bay Press-Gazette report that his client will apply for reinstatement from retirement "sooner rather than later."

The obvious question is: Why? If Favre is so set on coming back, there is no reason he'd wait to petition the NFL for reinstatement. The agent says Favre wouldn't want to be fined $15,000 daily for skipping training camp practices, but retiring in March showed Favre was willing to forgo his $12 million salary anyway. We're fairly certain this matter doesn't revolve around money.

www.pft.com

COOK SAYS FAVRE WON’T ASK FOR REINSTATEMENT YET
Posted by Mike Florio on July 16, 2008, 2:38 p.m.
Contrary to a report in the Green Bay Press-Gazette that quarterback Brett Favre will send a letter to Commissioner Roger Goodell requesting reinstatement, Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, says that such a request will not be made in the near future.

“We have no definite plans to ask for reinstatement,” Cook told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. “Right now we have until the sixth week [of the regular season] and Brett has made it pretty clear that he is not willing to come in as a backup.

“If he asks for reinstatement and they start fining him $15,000 a day [for not reporting to training camp], well that just doesn’t make sense. We’re going to let Green Bay decide what they want to do. It’s their move.”

Actually, Bus, it’s Brett’s move. He asked to be release, the team said no. If he wants back in, he needs to request reinstatement, and then show up for practice.

But Brett apparently doesn’t want to advance this chess match if he has to get his hands dirty to do so. That’s his prerogative. Either way, the ball is in Favre’s court.

The options are simple: Send the letter and show up, or don’t send the letter and shut up.

Chevelle2
07-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Can someone answer this for me?

Partial
07-16-2008, 01:42 PM
It seems like the gentlemens way of saying if you come back they'll give you a fair competition, knowing that he would beat out Rodgers, which Rodgers can't bitch about as he lost out in a fair competition.

The Leaper
07-16-2008, 01:43 PM

Well, the Packers didn't go to the NFCC game after 2005 or 2006...so he had an additional 3 weeks right there to make a decision.

His decision after the 4-12 year took quite awhile, considering where the team would've been if he had retired.

I think this year's was very quick mainly because I don't see why it needed to be made so rapidly. The Packers had a guy ready to go behind Favre. They were covered no matter what his decision was...so why not let the guy take some time to recover from a whirlwind season filled with so many ups and downs?

McCarthy calling Favre every week beginning in February for a status report? C'mon now. There was no need to be that much up Favre's ass in February.

Chevelle2
07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
It seems like the gentlemens way of saying if you come back they'll give you a fair competition, knowing that he would beat out Rodgers, which Rodgers can't bitch about as he lost out in a fair competition.

Then why won't Favre take it? Is he afraid of Rodgers beating him, or maybe he wants out of GB? If he wants out of GB, why isn't he turning in his papers?

packers11
07-16-2008, 01:44 PM

Then why won't Favre take it? Is he afraid of Rodgers beating him, or maybe he wants out of GB? If he wants out of GB, why isn't he turning in his papers?

He wants to feel "wanted" . He wants the job from day 1...

Chevelle2
07-16-2008, 01:46 PM

He wants to feel "wanted" . He wants the job from day 1...

So he is so full of himself, that he wants to be HANDED the job, rather than playing for it (knowing full well, he will probably get it)

So basically he is hurting himself. Wow.

cpk1994
07-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Can someone answer this for me?He must file his reinstatement papers before the Packers can do anything. If he files his papers, the Packers have two choices, put him on the active roster, or release him. They won't release him so he would be put on the active roster. The Packers are not required to do anything further. They must let him come to camp if he wnats to be there, but they don't have to give him reps in practice or play him at all.

Chevelle2
07-16-2008, 01:52 PM

Can someone answer this for me?He must file his reinstatement papers before the Packers can do anything. If he files his papers, the Packers have two choices, put him on the active roster, or release him. They won't release him so he would be put on the active roster. The Packers are not required to do anything further. They must let him come to camp if he wnats to be there, but they don't have to give him reps in practice or play him at all.

So if he doesnt hand in the papers, we can assume he is staying retired?

lod01
07-16-2008, 01:54 PM
This is all a PR campaign cooked up over beers between Favre/Cook and TT/MM, etc. Thus keeping the Packers in the offseason news over every other team. Merchandise sales increasing, yada yada yada.... Favre starts week 1 keeping the focus of the NFL world squarely on the Packers..blah blah blah.

Jerry Jones is really pissed that he didn't come up with a plan like this.

At least I'll hope that is all this is. Otherwise it's a 100% complete clusterfvck.

packers11
07-16-2008, 01:54 PM

Definitely... Especially if he misses any part of training camp...

Chevelle2
07-16-2008, 01:55 PM

Definitely... Especially if he misses any part of training camp...

Gotcha, thanks for helping me getting it cleared in my head.

Patler
07-16-2008, 01:55 PM
McCarthy calling Favre every week beginning in February for a status report? C'mon now. There was no need to be that much up Favre's ass in February.

Yet Favre, or maybe it was his family, complained that he heard too little from the Packers, and didn't feel wanted.

This whole "rushed" thing from Favre sounds like the misbehaving child who yells, "He made me do it....He made me do it!"

packers11
07-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Interesting side notes :

Baltimore Ravens Westminster, Md. July 21 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)
Miami Dolphins Davie, Fla. July 25 (rookies and veterans)
New York Jets Hempstead, N.Y. July 16 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)
Carolina Panthers Spartanburg, S.C. July 25 (rookies and veterans)
Green Bay Packers Green Bay, Wis. July 27 (rookies and veterans)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Lake Buena Vista, Fla. July 25 (rookies and veterans)
Washington Redskins Ashburn, Va. July 19 (rookies and veterans)

To all the potential teams he could be playing for, their training camp starts earlier than the packers. So if something is going to be worked out, it has to be pretty damn soon...

lod01
07-16-2008, 01:58 PM

Can someone answer this for me?

He has to send in papers. The Packers are not going to budge because they don't have to. He said he retired. Unless he sends in paperwork saying he is going to play, they don't have to do anything. He can't sign anywhere, no team will talk to him etc. He is Packers property for 2 more years because that's what his contract says. He can want out all he wants but without saying he's coming back in writing, why would the packers just release him when they don't have to?

sharpe1027
07-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Well, the Packers didn't go to the NFCC game after 2005 or 2006...so he had an additional 3 weeks right there to make a decision.

His decision after the 4-12 year took quite awhile, considering where the team would've been if he had retired.

I think this year's was very quick mainly because I don't see why it needed to be made so rapidly. The Packers had a guy ready to go behind Favre. They were covered no matter what his decision was...so why not let the guy take some time to recover from a whirlwind season filled with so many ups and downs?

So they can't ask him to come back and then check up on him once a week, but at the same time they didn't do enough to try to get him back? C'mon now, you can't have it both ways.

mngolf19
07-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Interesting side notes :

Baltimore Ravens Westminster, Md. July 21 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)
Miami Dolphins Davie, Fla. July 25 (rookies and veterans)
New York Jets Hempstead, N.Y. July 16 (rookies), July 23 (veterans)
Carolina Panthers Spartanburg, S.C. July 25 (rookies and veterans)
Green Bay Packers Green Bay, Wis. July 27 (rookies and veterans)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Lake Buena Vista, Fla. July 25 (rookies and veterans)
Washington Redskins Ashburn, Va. July 19 (rookies and veterans)

To all the potential teams he could be playing for, their training camp starts earlier than the packers. So if something is going to be worked out, it has to be pretty damn soon...

Unless one of them suffers an injury then they could be interested farther down the line.

twoseven
07-16-2008, 02:50 PM
This is all a PR campaign cooked up over beers between Favre/Cook and TT/MM, etc.

The Packers were asked to be the team that would be on HBO's inside training camp, or whatever it's called, this summer (like the Chiefs and Ravens before them). They said no, MM didn't like the idea of players being on tv as they were being cut. Just imagine what that would have been like if we were still in it. That would have be some good ass television.

Jerry Jones is still happy because HIS team IS going to be the one on HBO this summer.

cpk1994
07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
This is all a PR campaign cooked up over beers between Favre/Cook and TT/MM, etc.

The Packers were asked to be the team that would be on HBO's inside training camp, or whatever it's called, this summer (like the Chiefs and Ravens before them). They said no, MM didn't like the idea of players being on tv as they were being cut. Just imagine what that would have been like if we were still in it. That would have be some good ass television.

Jerry Jones is still happy because HIS team IS going to be the one on HBO this summer.Sure,but how many watch ESPN vs. HBO? That is well in ESPN's favor and I would say that Jones would prefer all that time on ESPN over HBO in a heartbeat.

twoseven
07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Ideally you would think any potential suitor would like Favre as early as possible. But there's no reason why he can't be trade bait into and during the season for a team that finds themselves in a deseprate situation should their QB not play well or injuries happen. I guess I don't see why a training camp date should be some kind of firm deadline. Would a team like Tampa, if they are interested in Favre, actually waver on the idea of a trade if they can't get him in time for their camp?

The Leaper
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
So they can't ask him to come back and then check up on him once a week, but at the same time they didn't do enough to try to get him back? C'mon now, you can't have it both ways.

I'm just saying that a weekly status report a few weeks removed from the season...considering the circumstances (aging player, capable replacement ready to go)...makes it seem like the Packers were really looking for a quick answer. In that sense, I can understand how Favre would've felt pressured to make a decision.

I've never said the Packers didn't do enough to try to get him back. Personally, I don't think a team has to do much of anything in that regard. It is the player's decision whether or not they want to play...some players may want to know they are part of future plans or whatever, but the player is still responsible for his own career decisions.

cpk1994
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Ideally you would think any potential suitor would like Favre as early as possible. But there's no reason why he can't be trade bait into and during the season for a team that finds themselves in a deseprate situation should their QB not play well or injuries happen. I guess I don't see why a training camp date should be some kind of firm deadline. Would a team like Tampa, if they are interested in Favre, actually waver on the idea of a trade if they can't get him in time for their camp?Its about learning the offense(WCO version) that his potential new team has and getting cohesion with his potential new teammates. Do you think Favre could really come in during the regular season on less than a weeks notice and just guide the team with no problems?

twoseven
07-16-2008, 03:02 PM

Jerry Jones is still happy because HIS team IS going to be the one on HBO this summer.Sure,but how many watch ESPN vs. HBO? That is well in ESPN's favor and I would say that Jones would prefer all that time on ESPN over HBO in a heartbeat.I was joking around.

twoseven
07-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Ideally you would think any potential suitor would like Favre as early as possible. But there's no reason why he can't be trade bait into and during the season for a team that finds themselves in a deseprate situation should their QB not play well or injuries happen. I guess I don't see why a training camp date should be some kind of firm deadline. Would a team like Tampa, if they are interested in Favre, actually waver on the idea of a trade if they can't get him in time for their camp?Its about learning the offense(WCO version) that his potential new team has and getting cohesion with his potential new teammates. Do you think Favre could really come in during the regular season on less than a weeks notice and just guide the team with no problems?If Vinny Testaverde can go from his couch one week to leading the Panthers to victory the next week, why can't Favre. I didn't say it was ideal (as the first sentence stated), just that it shouldn't be ruled out.

sharpe1027
07-16-2008, 03:08 PM

I'm just saying that a weekly status report a few weeks removed from the season...considering the circumstances (aging player, capable replacement ready to go)...makes it seem like the Packers were really looking for a quick answer. In that sense, I can understand how Favre would've felt pressured to make a decision.

I've never said the Packers didn't do enough to try to get him back. Personally, I don't think a team has to do much of anything in that regard. It is the player's decision whether or not they want to play...some players may want to know they are part of future plans or whatever, but the player is still responsible for his own career decisions.

Fair enough.

My question is what does it matter if they called weekly? Do you blame them for asking? If so, what about the MM saying that all Favre had to do was ask for more time? The certainly didn't give him an ultimatum, at best they prodded him weekly for a decision.

twoseven
07-16-2008, 03:17 PM

I'm just saying that a weekly status report a few weeks removed from the season...considering the circumstances (aging player, capable replacement ready to go)...makes it seem like the Packers were really looking for a quick answer. In that sense, I can understand how Favre would've felt pressured to make a decision.I agree with this. However, let's look at what Favre had going for him. He already had a history of waiting to decide, 2005 was well after the draft, he could have done the exact same thing. He was coming off a great year, almost made the SB, runner up MVP, looked as good as ever, odds on favorite to be back in NFCC, he had the franchise wrapped around his pinky. Other than being really pissed off, what could TT and MM actually do if Brett kept them waiting until April or May for a decision, hell, June for that matter? He was under contract, what would they do, name AR starter with Brett still undecided? 99.9% would still be firmly behind Brett if that were to happen and TT and MM would be facing the heat, and AR wouldn't have leg to stand on as heir apparent. Weekly calls would have drove me nuts too, but Brett had all the power and held all the cards, he could have made everyone wait. He had a shitty 2005 and we all waited until almost May (I think). With what he did last year I expect that kind of cred would have many waiting until June if need be for him to figure it out. I feel he had that ace up his sleeve..until he gave it all away and said 'I retire.' Big mistake. Even bigger mistake with how he and 'his camp' have handled things since then.

Spaulding
07-16-2008, 03:20 PM

I wonder if you're on to something. Regardless of the current miscommunication and posturing, what if the initial message was intended to Favre that if were to come come back that although they couldn't guarantee him a starting spot and officially list him as the backup QB, that in reality they were trying to imply that they fully intended to give him a chance to battle for the starting spot?

TT's job is put the best team on the field and if Favre gives him that chance I would expect and believe that he and M3 go with Favre. If this is true it would make sense that the posturing is all to save face in backtracking and benching Rodgers and/or burning bridges with him for down the road.

All speculation but given how much confusion between the two parties has occurred, what if?

texaspackerbacker
07-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Ideally you would think any potential suitor would like Favre as early as possible. But there's no reason why he can't be trade bait into and during the season for a team that finds themselves in a deseprate situation should their QB not play well or injuries happen. I guess I don't see why a training camp date should be some kind of firm deadline. Would a team like Tampa, if they are interested in Favre, actually waver on the idea of a trade if they can't get him in time for their camp?Its about learning the offense(WCO version) that his potential new team has and getting cohesion with his potential new teammates. Do you think Favre could really come in during the regular season on less than a weeks notice and just guide the team with no problems?If Vinny Testaverde can go from his couch one week to leading the Panthers to victory the next week, why can't Favre. I didn't say it was ideal (as the first sentence stated), just that it shouldn't be ruled out.

It ain't often I agree with twoseven, but this is true. Long before this unretirement stuff came up--or at least before it became public, I figured that if Rodgers got hurt, they could just call Favre and he could come in and start. QBs do that all the time, many of them not even veterans.

I don't see this delay of reinstatement as blocking a trade--the trade could always be conditional. What it does do is make for less incentive for the Packers to trade him. BTW, I thought he never filed retirement papers, so why does he now need reinstatement papers?

This delay, IMO, is a very good thing. As somebody says, it plays right into Thompson's hand--and surely Favre must know this--by allowing the Packers NOT to do anything except let him sit.

Maybe, just maybe, this all is Favre's clumsy way of letting everybody know he is available if needed later--because of injury or whatever, that he does NOT care to play for somebody else--he certainly seemed to say THAT in the interview. If he (or the damned media) had just shut up and not rocked the boat, he would be sitting there, ready to come to the rescue if Rodgers goes down, but content to stay retired if all goes well. I think that's exactly what would have happened if the media assholes hadn't stirred up trouble, and if this is handled just right by Packer brass, maybe it could still turn out that way.

How's that for a rose-colored Kool Aid scenario?

Patler
07-16-2008, 03:27 PM

I'm just saying that a weekly status report a few weeks removed from the season...considering the circumstances (aging player, capable replacement ready to go)...makes it seem like the Packers were really looking for a quick answer. In that sense, I can understand how Favre would've felt pressured to make a decision.I agree with this. However, let's look at what Favre had going for him. He already had a history of waiting to decide, 2005 was well after the draft, he could have done the exact same thing. He was coming off a great year, almost made the SB, runner up MVP, looked as good as ever, odds on favorite to be back in NFCC, he had the franchise wrapped around his pinky. Other than being really pissed off, what could TT and MM actually do if Brett kept them waiting until April or May for a decision, hell, June for that matter? He was under contract, what would they do, name AR starter with Brett still undecided? 99.9% would still be firmly behind Brett if that were to happen and TT and MM would be facing the heat, and AR wouldn't have leg to stand on as heir apparent. Weekly calls would have drove me nuts too, but Brett had all the power and held all the cards, he could have made everyone wait. He had a shitty 2005 and we all waited until almost May (I think). With what he did last year I expect that kind of cred would have many waiting until June if need be for him to figure it out. I feel he had that ace up his sleeve..until he gave it all away and said 'I retire.' Big mistake. Even bigger mistake with how he and 'his camp' have handled things since then.

Favre let them know about his decision the end of the week before his retirement conference, so the end of the last week of Feb, or so. If I remember correctly, both Favre and MM said he was left alone until Feb. Weekly check ups from MM thereafter amounted to three or four telephone calls from MM before Favre made a decision. Doesn't sound too overbearing to me.

The Leaper
07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
My question is what does it matter if they called weekly?

It doesn't necessarily matter...it just makes it seem to me that the Packers were awful antsy about getting Favre's decision WHEN THEY DIDN'T NEED TO BE. That is what bothers me.

If the Packers would've been stuck scrambling for a starting QB if Favre retired, I could see the need for a quick decision...I could understand calling him every week.

However, the Packers HAD a capable replacement. It wasn't going to be any skin off their nose whatever Favre's decision was. It wasn't like the Packers were unaware that this was going to be a tough decision on Favre this year, and that he might struggle with it.

I don't blame them for asking...they have that right. I'm just wondering why they seemed so damned antsy when there was really no good reason to be that way. Calling Favre once a week in February tells me the Packers were antsy.

cpk1994
07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
BTW, I thought he never filed retirement papers, so why does he now need reinstatement papers?
The retirement papers are for benefit & severance purposes only. The Packers put him on the retired list, therefore he must apply for reinstatement to be on the active roster again.

The Leaper
07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
If I remember correctly, both Favre and MM said he was left alone until Feb.

Wow! They left him alone for ELEVEN DAYS! Outstanding.

The NFFC game was on Jan 20th I believe...so that is 11 days until February.

Then to start calling the guy once a week after that...when you damn well know he just got finished with a season where he would need some time to decompress???

It smacks of the antsy. I'm not saying the Packers don't have the right...just that it seems very odd they were so antsy when they already had their pieces in a row at the QB position.

Answer me that...WHY THE FUCKING RUSH????

sharpe1027
07-16-2008, 03:42 PM

Then to start calling the guy once a week after that...when you damn well know he just got finished with a season where he would need some time to decompress???

It smacks of the antsy. I'm not saying the Packers don't have the right...just that it seems very odd they were so antsy when they already had their pieces in a row at the QB position.

I don't see it as a rush. Given Favre's history the past couple years, I can understand calling once a week to touch base. Calling once a week to see where he stood, and they probably talked about other things...big deal.

Personally, I think Favre has misconstrued a lot of things said and done by the Packers.

Bossman641
07-16-2008, 03:45 PM

This doesn't seem to mesh very well with your "Favre was rushed, leave him alone" theory.

— Feb. 22: Thompson calls Favre after getting word that Favre was upset Thompson hadn’t called him in a while. According to Thompson, Favre said, “Well, I don’t know where that’s coming from. That doesn’t come from me. I’m fine with it.” Thompson said he reassures Favre: “You know that Mike and me, we still think you can play, you’re still our guy.”

or this

— Feb. 29: The beginning of free agency, the Packers’ original target date for Favre’s decision. “He told me that day, he said, ‘Hey, if I needed to make a decision today, I would retire,”’ McCarthy said. “I said, ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa. It’s not that important. Ted and I have talked about it over and over again as far as, you’re the priority and we didn’t need to stick to that date. So you need more time? Sure. How much time do you need? He said, ‘I’ll tell you what. (Wife) Deanna and I are going to sit down this weekend, why don’t you call me Monday?”’

He felt rushed, yet he called TT and was mad because they hadn't contacted him recently enough? They were pushing him out the door, yet they told him to take more time when he said he was gonna retire?

Here's what this situation is: Brett fucking up. He had the time, he held the cards. Every single FACT mentioned shows that TT and MM supported him, whether that was giving him more time or welcoming him back when he wanted to return in late March. BRETT FUCKED IT UP! Now he is angry, and trying to spin it all to make it look like he was the victim and was shoved out the door. Fortunately, most of us are smarter than that.

He's either indecisive, or EXTREMELY NEEDY. Or possibly both.

sharpe1027
07-16-2008, 03:48 PM
BRETT FUCKED IT UP! Now he is angry, and trying to spin it all to make it look like he was the victim and was shoved out the door. Fortunately, most of us are smarter than that.

Sadly, I find this the most plausible explanation. :(

Patler
07-16-2008, 03:55 PM

Who knows when the first call in Feb. was? It might have been the second week, or later. My point was (which you avoided by quoting only the single sentence) was that "weekly calls" amounted to four flipping calls at most, maybe only 3. WOW, THE PRESSURE MUST HAVE BEEN UNBEARABLE FOR HIM.

The other point that has been missed is that the calls were from McCarthy, not Thompson. If Thompson had been calling him weekly his point might be somewhat more valid (but not much).

The Shadow
07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
BRETT FUCKED IT UP! Now he is angry, and trying to spin it all to make it look like he was the victim and was shoved out the door. Fortunately, most of us are smarter than that.

Sadly, I find this the most plausible explanation. :(

The evidence supports this take.

woodbuck27
07-16-2008, 04:11 PM

He wants to play for Green Bay but he knows he can't. I think he's beginning to see that isn't going to happen, and so he is highly likely to remain in retirement.

He obviously to me wants to play in the NFL in 2008 The leaper, but it's just getting worse for that opportunity with this latest tidbit. He's all over the map.

What's it all about with him and his dumb agent. Favre needs to reinstate ASAP, and allow the cards to fall as they may. If he's committed to play somewhere and I believe he is, on his terms 'of course'. He's making a complete mess of it. His wife should take over as his agent as she's certainly govern his and her best interests. This really is a matter of extreme interest to Brett Favre and Deanna Favre. There's too much at stake now.

This is a nightmare. It's just plain sickening. I'm disappointed in how he's handled his off season. I don't blame ' Bus ' Cook, I blame 'the man' who employs him for his best interests.

Patler
07-16-2008, 04:18 PM
He obviously to me wants to play in the NFL in 2008 The leaper, but it's just getting worse for that opportunity with this latest tidbit. He's all over the map.

What's it all about with him and his dumb agent. Favre needs to reinstate ASAP, and allow the cards to fall as they may. If he's committed to play somewhere and I believe he is, on his terms 'of course'. He's making a complete mess of it. His wife should take over as his agent as she's certainly govern his and her best interests. This really is a matter of extreme interest to Brett Favre and Deanna Favre. There's too much at stake now.

This is a nightmare. It's just plain sickening. I'm disappointed in how he's handled his off season. I don't blame ' Bus ' Cook, I blame 'the man' who employs him for his best interests.

That is the perplexing aspect of this whole mess. He was held on such a high pedestal by Packer fans not just for his play on the field, but for many other reasons. He was in a position only a few greats in any sport ever reach with their fans. He has damaged that in just a few weeks. He has allowed those around him to damage it even more and has done nothing to stop it or correct it. In fact, it seems to continue spiraling down.

vince
07-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Brett must have signed a new spokesman contract with the Waffle House.

This is unbelievable.

What are the odds that he ends up changing his mind again?

Is he banking on Rodgers going down? Jeff Gillooly a new friend?

Giving up?

What is he thinking?

MJZiggy
07-16-2008, 10:02 PM

Who knows when the first call in Feb. was? It might have been the second week, or later. My point was (which you avoided by quoting only the single sentence) was that "weekly calls" amounted to four flipping calls at most, maybe only 3. WOW, THE PRESSURE MUST HAVE BEEN UNBEARABLE FOR HIM.

The other point that has been missed is that the calls were from McCarthy, not Thompson. If Thompson had been calling him weekly his point might be somewhat more valid (but not much).

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but who cares even if TT were trying to pressure him to make a decision. He's Brett Freakin' Favre!! If he's not ready he says "No, Ted, I'm not ready, I will call you in a couple weeks." What's Ted gonna do about it really. He does anything, and the fans crucify him at that point. Even if he got all the way to the retirement presser, he could simply have said, "you know what? I thought I had a decision to give you, but I'm not 100% in either direction right now." Yeah, he'd have taken a little heat for it, but we'd have been spared this whole "he made me do it" crap.

GBRulz
07-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but who cares even if TT were trying to pressure him to make a decision. He's Brett Freakin' Favre!!

Actually, yes... I was sensing some deja vu because you posted almost the same comment "Nail in the Coffin Thread".

Trying to boost your post count? :lol:

Joemailman
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Is it possible to plagiarize yourself?

MJZiggy
07-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Couldn't remember if I said it here because I've gotten into a couple conversations with people at work about it. People tend to show up in my office if they wanna talk about it...

twoseven
07-17-2008, 03:46 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but who cares even if TT were trying to pressure him to make a decision. He's Brett Freakin' Favre!! If he's not ready he says "No, Ted, I'm not ready, I will call you in a couple weeks." What's Ted gonna do about it really. He does anything, and the fans crucify him at that point. Even if he got all the way to the retirement presser, he could simply have said, "you know what? I thought I had a decision to give you, but I'm not 100% in either direction right now." Yeah, he'd have taken a little heat for it, but we'd have been spared this whole "he made me do it" crap.You got it. We waited for quite awhile for his decision after a crappy 2005..but, with everything he did in 2007 the guy could have waited until end of July and nobody could have done a thing about it, he had the GBP wrapped around his little pinky..and the fans would be burning management at the stake if they tried. Just one of several mistakes the Favre camp has made this year. Lump that in with his original retirement speech which had plenty of comments by Brett that were all about finality with little to no room for reversal, and his side has little (if anything at all) to stand on by way of Brett not having total control over his own future, forget the ridculous idea of anyone making him do anything. I have a feeling that the last person to ever actually MAKE Brett do something was probably Irv Favre when Brett was a teenager, even then I am skeptical.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but who cares even if TT were trying to pressure him to make a decision. He's Brett Freakin' Favre!! If he's not ready he says "No, Ted, I'm not ready, I will call you in a couple weeks." What's Ted gonna do about it really. He does anything, and the fans crucify him at that point. Even if he got all the way to the retirement presser, he could simply have said, "you know what? I thought I had a decision to give you, but I'm not 100% in either direction right now." Yeah, he'd have taken a little heat for it, but we'd have been spared this whole "he made me do it" crap.

I agree. If Favre wasn't 100% either way, he should've kept his trap shut.

However, he's an emotional nutcase...so, like a woman, he can't keep his trap shut. It must have been his time of the month.

:D