PDA

View Full Version : Source: Vikings tampered with Favre

Brando19
07-16-2008, 05:46 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8351554/Source:-Packers-say-Vikings-tampered-with-Favre

As the days roll by, the Brett Favre saga seems to get stranger and stranger. Now the soap opera has shifted to a new level.

In the latest twist, the Packers have filed tampering charges with the league office against the Minnesota Vikings for alleged communication with Favre, still technically a member of Green Bay, FOXSports.com has learned. The league, according to a source, is currently in information-gathering mode, speaking to members of both teams.

The Vikings were informed late last week that the allegation is that Favre has had inappropriate dialogue with Minnesota offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, a close Favre friend and former assistant coach with the Packers. Favre has sought his release from Green Bay and several rumors have swirled that Minnesota is his targeted landing place, largely due to his relationship with Bevell.

League sources say the Vikings vehemently denied any wrongdoing and are awaiting the league's next step in the process. The Packers, meanwhile, have supplied the league with their version of wrongdoing.

Should the league find the Vikings guilty of tampering, they could lose draft picks and/or face fines.

The entire affair escalated to an ugly level this week when Favre conducted an interview with FOX News' Greta Van Susteren in which the living legend took the Packers to task for refusing to release him. In fact, a leaked version of the transcript had Favre blasting GM Ted Thompson, but in another odd twist, that portion of the interview has not been shown on the air.

The Packers have refused to grant the league's all-time leading passer's request for a release due in part to their fear that he would sign with the Vikings. Despite the wave of speculation, Vikings head coach Brad Childress insists that Tarvaris Jackson is his guy.

The entire affair is unfortunate, as Favre is more synonymous with Green Bay than any other player is with a city. At the same time, however, fans are now forced to make judgments for or against their hometown hero/team.

Calls by FOXSports.com to head coaches of both teams have not yet been returned.

packinpatland
07-16-2008, 05:48 PM
So.........how truthful is this one?

falco
07-16-2008, 05:55 PM
just heard this on NFL network, those rascally vikings

Zool
07-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Fine, trade him to the Vikes for 9 picks. Make him the next Hershel Walker.

falco
07-16-2008, 05:58 PM

i find it interesting that the packers have actually filed tampering charges - should make the opening day game even more contentious

Lurker64
07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, when the Bears were victims of tampering they ended up moving up in the draft, maybe we'll get better draft position too!

RashanGary
07-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Oh, the tangled web we weave :)

I'm a big pro Packer guy in this whole ordeal. I'm really, really ready to move on from Favre but the one thing I don't want is for him to go to the team in our division that has everything but a QB. We might not need Favre, but he dramatically improves their biggest weakness. Hopefully the Vikes lose a draft pick and some money over this.

SMACKTALKIE
07-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Apparently Bevell and Favre speak to each other from time to time. This should be interesting.

SMACKTALKIE
07-16-2008, 06:10 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com

PACKERS FILE TAMPERING CHARGES AGAINST VIKINGS
Posted by Josh Alper on July 16, 2008, 6:57 p.m.
It looks like Florio wasn’t the only one curious about conversations between Brett Favre and Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.

Jay Glazer of Fox is reporting that the Pack have filed tampering charges with the league about alleged conversations between the two men. The league is currently investigating the matter and gathering information by talking to people on both teams. Glazer’s sources say the Vikings “vehemently deny” that there’s been any wrongdoing. The penalty for tampering is loss of draft picks and/or a fine.

Despite Brad Childress’s protestations, many believe that the Vikings are Favre’s ideal team for the 2008 season. Bevell was his quarterback coach in Green Bay for a season and the team is in very good shape outside of the quarterback position. They’re also the team the Packers would least like to see Favre playing for in the fall. If they knew the Vikings wouldn’t sign Favre, they might be more amenable to releasing him as he desires.

Following that logic, the tampering claim could be a way of scaring the Vikings off their pursuit of Favre. Tampering is difficult to prove but if the Vikings signed Favre right when he became available they’d certainly appear guilty.

Rastak
07-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Yea, word is they talk fairly regularly so phone records can't be evidence because conversations are allowed, just not about playing for your team.

If Favre says they talked (assuming they did), then the charges are most likely upheld.

I wouldn't be too shocked if it was mentioned in private conversation, a violation of the rules. I'd also be shocked if the league could prove it, unless Favre offers TT an olive branch.

I'll say they did, then you make me the starter!

MJZiggy
07-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Weren't a few of us asking about tampering all the way back to when the rumors were flying that Bus was trying to shop Favre around? Interesting new twist, though I wouldn't call it shocking or anything.

Brando19
07-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Yea, word is they talk fairly regularly so phone records can't be evidence because conversations are allowed, just not about playing for your team.

If Favre says they talked (assuming they did), then the charges are most likely upheld.

I wouldn't be too shocked if it was mentioned in private conversation, a violation of the rules. I'd also be shocked if the league could prove it, unless Favre offers TT an olive branch.

Haha, Ras Ras Ras. You just don't wanna believe the fact that the Vikings get a giant erection when thinking about Favre being on their team.

motife
07-16-2008, 06:17 PM
http://www.fanhouse.com/2008/03/24/nfl-busts-49ers-for-lance-briggs-tampering-bears-will-get-draft/
NFL Busts 49ers for Lance Briggs Tampering, Bears Will Get Draft Compensation
Posted Mar 24th 2008 6:20PM by Michael David Smith

In a rare case of a team being sanctioned by the league for impermissible contact with a player, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has ruled in favor of the Bears and against the 49ers in the tampering case surrounding linebacker Lance Briggs.

The punishment: The 49ers will forfeit their fifth-round pick in this year's NFL draft, and the teams will trade their picks in the third round of the draft, meaning Chicago will get the seventh pick in the third round while San Francisco will get the 12th pick in the third round.

Goodell ruled that the 49ers committed tampering by contacting Briggs' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, to talk about Briggs during the 2007 season. The 49ers and Bears almost pulled off a trade in 2007, but Briggs ultimately finished the season with the Bears and then signed a long-term contract extension to stay in Chicago this month.

So, for the 49ers, it's a loss of one draft pick and the diminished value of another, all for trying to tamper with a player -- and not even succeeding. Not the smartest of moves for the San Francisco front office.

RashanGary
07-16-2008, 06:24 PM
It's all coming together though. Favre does not want to be traded so he will not apply for reinstatement. He wants to do everything he can to get released.

Damn, this thing is going to be ugly I have a feeling.

MJZiggy
07-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Likely not any more because if Favre tried his damndest to get released and the Packers relent, then the Vikes look guilty as sin if Favre joins them.

Lurker64
07-16-2008, 06:46 PM
There's very little that will hurt my opinions of Favre more than hearing that he wants or wanted to be a Vikings. I'm not sure a 16 year hall of fame career and a championship excuses this sin.

Rastak
07-16-2008, 06:54 PM

Haha, Ras Ras Ras. You just don't wanna believe the fact that the Vikings get a giant erection when thinking about Favre being on their team.

I know one thing, the Packers don't LOL.....

RashanGary
07-16-2008, 06:58 PM
You've never struck me as the angery loyal type, Lurker. You seem way smarter than that (really, I'm not just saying that, you seem very smart and I think loyalty like this toward athletes is below you).

I don't care that Favre wants to go to the Vikings. I don't care that the Vikigns want Favre. They're not stupid. Everyone including the Pakcers knows FAvre is a damn good QB and the Vikings have the worste QB in the league. Everyone also knows the Vikings are an extremely talented team that will undoubtedly vie for the playoffs even without a QB. With a QB they are with the elite in the NFC. Giants, Pcakers, Cowboys, Vikings. I'd say Favre's chances with that team are as good as his chances with this team.

Really though, I think now the whole "release him" thing can go away. That's not happening. It would be extremely idiotic.

Deputy Nutz
07-16-2008, 07:48 PM

Funny I didn't realize that Favre and Bevell "the good Mormon" were all that close during Bevell's time in Green Bay, at least I believe Favre didn't pay a whole lot of attention to him. I think this has been slimed out to the media that Bevell and Favre were extra super close during their time in Green Bay together just to but a spin to this, danger management, cutting this off at the pass.

Bretsky
07-16-2008, 07:56 PM
All this stuff is kind of funny; I'm near the point where I agree with the latest blog by Silverstein. Here we are with whining about a player that it appears we want nothing to do with.

RashanGary
07-16-2008, 08:08 PM
I guess if the Vikes really wanted him I'd do it for a 1st round pick. What the hell, if you have to face him you have to face him. The Vikings have sold out to win now. The Packers are built for the long haul but are ready today as well. It would be an interesting battle to say the least. The Vikes are going to have to offer the most though. If not, I wouldn't let him go.

Bretsky
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM
the longer this drags out the less value he has to a new team...aka...learing the new system. They will not get a first. They will not get fair value in our eyes at least. But if they are not going to give him an honest shot it's better to get rid of him for whatever we can if he files those papers.

MJZiggy
07-16-2008, 08:15 PM
The only one dragging this out is Favre. No one can do anything until he either files his papers or doesn't so if he's complaining about TT not doing something he needs a better mirror.

Bretsky
07-16-2008, 08:23 PM
The only one dragging this out is Favre. No one can do anything until he either files his papers or doesn't so if he's complaining about TT not doing something he needs a better mirror.

If Favre is in GB on 7/19, if either of them has a half a brain they'd set up an air it out meeting and come to a conclusion if Favre is coming back somewhere

MJZiggy
07-16-2008, 08:25 PM
There's a big if. You're right. They should have a cage sit-down. Lock 'em in a room and no one comes out until it's settled.

Joemailman
07-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Am I the only person who thinks that the tampering story and the story about Favre not having any immediate intentions to apply for reinstatement might be connected?

Scenario: Favre and Cook were primarily interested in Minnesota. Now that this has blown up in their face, they are not as interested in applying for reinstatement. I now suspect that Favre will play for the Pack, or not play at all.

Rastak
07-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Am I the only person who thinks that the tampering story and the story about Favre not having any immediate intentions to apply for reinstatement might be connected?

Scenario: Favre and Cook were primarily interested in Minnesota. Now that this has blown up in their face, they are not as interested in applying for reinstatement. I now suspect that Favre will play for the Pack, or not play at all.

It's possible. I have no knowledge of what either the Vikes or Favre are thinking at this point.

packers11
07-16-2008, 08:55 PM
lets make him talk to every team, then we could grab extra draft picks without even trading him... brilliant! :lol:

Fosco33
07-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Brilliant positioning by the Pack.

Besides the aforementioned points on his possible future connection w/ the Vikes, it also shows Brett (and more Bus) that they won't allow inappropriate discussions (i.e., Brett can't go and look around w/o the Packer's permission).

While getting uglier than a one-eyed Pugg, this is a perfect play.

Who needs '24' or 'LOST' - we got enough drama in GB.

DonHutson
07-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I wondered whether Brett's comment about Tampa being "too hot" was a veiled reference about Minnesota.

The name of the game is to make the other party look like the one driving Favre out of town. This is an unexpected and rather brilliant move by Ted, if there's enough to it that he doesn't end up looking like an ass.

MJZiggy
07-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Dude lives in Southern Mississippi and Tampa is too hot?

HarveyWallbangers
07-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I think it's becoming more clear. Favre has never really liked Thompson. Despite the comments by him that they were fine. Reading into this, after Favre contacted the Packers the last time and got a lukewarm response, Favre was probably quite shocked. He talked to Bevell to gauge the Vikings interest. That would be the perfect team to stick it to Thompson. I think Bevell made it known that the Vikings were interested (kind of funny to see them go out of their way to say they don't have interest in Favre). Thus, Favre is now pushing for his release, so he can play with the Vikings. He knows Thompson would never trade him to Minnesota.

Not sure if it's just me, but Chilly sure comes across smug every time he opens his mouth (which has little business being).

"It's kind of interesting to watch, isn't it?" Childress said Tuesday, referring to the back-and-forth sniping between Favre, who wants to be released, and the Packers, who say they do not plan to oblige that request...

It's all added up to one big "soap opera" in Green Bay, as Childress put it. He said he was as surprised at anyone at the acrimony that has surfaced following a 16-year love affair between a player and a franchise.

Bretsky
07-16-2008, 10:15 PM
This one looks to get long and uglier IMO

HarveyWallbangers
07-16-2008, 10:17 PM
I'll spell it out right now: Brett's legacy would be EXTREMELY tarnished, for me, if he finagled his way to the Vikings--just to stick it to Ted Thompson.

falco
07-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I'll spell it out right now: Brett's legacy would be EXTREMELY tarnished, for me, if he finagled his way to the Vikings--just to stick it to Ted Thompson.

i agree harvey, and i think your previous post makes a lot of sense

to me, his legacy is greatly tarnished already

SMACKTALKIE
07-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I think it's becoming more clear. Favre has never really liked Thompson. Despite the comments by him that they were fine. Reading into this, after Favre contacted the Packers the last time and got a lukewarm response, Favre was probably quite shocked. He talked to Bevell to gauge the Vikings interest. That would be the perfect team to stick it to Thompson. I think Bevell made it known that the Vikings were interested (kind of funny to see them go out of their way to say they don't have interest in Favre). Thus, Favre is now pushing for his release, so he can play with the Vikings. He knows Thompson would never trade him to Minnesota.

Not sure if it's just me, but Chilly sure comes across smug every time he opens his mouth (which has little business being).

"It's kind of interesting to watch, isn't it?" Childress said Tuesday, referring to the back-and-forth sniping between Favre, who wants to be released, and the Packers, who say they do not plan to oblige that request...

It's all added up to one big "soap opera" in Green Bay, as Childress put it. He said he was as surprised at anyone at the acrimony that has surfaced following a 16-year love affair between a player and a franchise.

Chilly is very good at "coach speak." In every interview I've seen with Chilly, when this topic came up, he skirted it with general statements.

falco
07-16-2008, 10:21 PM

Chilly is very good at "coach speak." In every interview I've seen with Chilly, when this topic came up, he skirted it with general statements.

i remember watching him give his introductory speech (we were staying by my parents near the border and only got minny channels) - everyone was upset he didnt come by us - I watched the interview and said "thank god"

SMACKTALKIE
07-16-2008, 10:25 PM

i remember watching him give his introductory speech (we were staying by my parents near the border and only got minny channels) - everyone was upset he didnt come by us - I watched the interview and said "thank god"

He was very uptight and sterile in his first year.....much like his O was. He has come around the last two years, with his interviews and play calling.

HarveyWallbangers
07-16-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm just glad Chilly's here in Minnesota. Makes me feel they have very little chance at winning the Super Bowl. He's awful. If they had a good coach and a good QB, I'd believe the hype on them.

KYPack
07-16-2008, 10:30 PM
All I can think of is that goofy chopshop photo of Brett in a Queen uni.

What a goddamned nightmare.

SMACKTALKIE
07-16-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm just glad Chilly's here in Minnesota. Makes me feel they have very little chance at winning the Super Bowl. He's awful. If they had a good coach and a good QB, I'd believe the hype on them.

Careful. Who knows what can happen. :wink: Good QB's make coaches look good.

Lurker64
07-16-2008, 10:38 PM

Yeah, I would rather pay Brett the entirety of his salary to sit on the couch until his contract expires in three years than ever see him in a Vikings uniform. My hope is that at 42, having not played football in three years, they wouldn't want him.

Harlan Huckleby
07-16-2008, 10:45 PM
The name of the game is to make the other party look like the one driving Favre out of town. This is an unexpected and rather brilliant move by Ted, if there's enough to it that he doesn't end up looking like an ass.

I didn't think of this aspect, but you are probably right.

Favre played this game himself in his interview with Dame Gretta, denying the (nonexistent) accusation that he was a "traitor", anxious to play for another team. Favre implied the team was pushing this perspective. Favre's ploy worked to some degree, as I noticed several people praised Favre's commitment to Green Bay the next day.

I think Minnesota's infraction was trivial, but it was indeed a violation of the rules. Thompson stood up on his hind lets, barked twice, and reminded Favre and the public that his rights are owned by Green Bay, and the team intends to protect its interests. It puts to rest the foolish talk of "just release the poor guy" from some softheaded quarters.

Well done, TT.

SMACKTALKIE
07-16-2008, 10:48 PM

I didn't think of this aspect, but you are probably right.

Favre played this game himself in his interview with Dame Gretta, denying the (nonexistent) accusation that he was a "traitor", anxious to play for another team. Favre implied the team was pushing this perspective. Favre's ploy worked to some degree, as I noticed several people praised Favre's commitment to Green Bay the next day.

I think Minnesota's infraction was trivial, but it was indeed a violation of the rules. Thompson stood up on his hind lets, barked twice, and reminded Favre and the public that his rights are owned by Green Bay, and the team intends to protect its interests. It puts to rest the foolish talk of "just release the poor guy" from some softheaded quarters.

Well done, TT.

What infraction? Nothing has been determined yet as to if there were any infractions.

Iron Mike
07-16-2008, 10:50 PM

Do the Queens even HAVE draft picks left?? Or does KC have all of theirs already? :roll:

pbmax
07-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Speaking of spin, can anybody remember the start to this story, on the same day (or right around it) that Rodgers "Come along or shut up" SI quote hit the intertubes?

The local radio was flogging this as evidence of the Packer's spin on to get Rodgers off the front page. I don't remember it seeming like a Packer leak, but can't recall the exact story or source.

Anyone remember or have a link?

SMACKTALKIE
07-16-2008, 10:53 PM

Do the Queens even HAVE draft picks left?? Or does KC have all of theirs already? :roll:

Only if "all of theirs" consists of 3 picks.

Guiness
07-16-2008, 10:53 PM

QFT

Harlan Huckleby
07-16-2008, 10:59 PM
What infraction? Nothing has been determined yet as to if there were any infractions.

Fair enough. The alleged infraction.

I don't think the Packers care that much about Favre and Bevell's chats, they are making a point.

SMACKTALKIE
07-16-2008, 11:01 PM

Fair enough. The alleged infraction.

I don't think the Packers care that much about Favre and Bevell's chats, they are making a point.

They were just talking about wives and tractors. :lol:

Iron Mike
07-16-2008, 11:04 PM

Only if "all of theirs" consists of 3 picks.

I forgot....then again, the Queens pissed away 7 draft picks in 2005, so what's wrong with pissing away 3?? :roll:

Bretsky
07-16-2008, 11:07 PM
This kind of crap goes on all the time; IMO it's a joke. Meant to send a stone the way of the Bus Cook Camp as well as a bit of a message toward the Vikes that they are not going to be allowed to beat us with Favre on their squad.

SMACKTALKIE
07-17-2008, 01:42 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com

The AP reports that Packers officials believe the Vikings' interest drove Brett Favre to have a "sudden change of heart" about retirement.

"They feel like Favre had something (in place), and that's why he was so anxious to get his release all of a sudden," a source said. The Packers reportedly believe taped phone calls submitted to the NFL office will reveal "more than normal contact" between Favre and Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. Job-related speech with a coach from another team would violate NFL rules because Favre is still under contract with the Pack.

SMACKTALKIE
07-17-2008, 01:44 AM
Taped calls? Does TT have phone taps on Favre?

MNF week 1 is going to be VERY interesting.

CaptainKickass
07-17-2008, 02:52 AM
Taped calls? Does TT have phone taps on Favre?

MNF week 1 is going to be VERY interesting.

Maybe James Campen's trip down to Miss. to "talk Favre back into retirement" yielded some interesting results. Perhaps the "Minnesota Bi-Queens" called while he was there and he turned his handy pocket recorder on.

????????

twoseven
07-17-2008, 03:50 AM

Yeah, I would rather pay Brett the entirety of his salary to sit on the couch until his contract expires in three years than ever see him in a Vikings uniform. My hope is that at 42, having not played football in three years, they wouldn't want him.Jeff George.

Rastak
07-17-2008, 06:21 AM

The AP reports that Packers officials believe the Vikings' interest drove Brett Favre to have a "sudden change of heart" about retirement.

"They feel like Favre had something (in place), and that's why he was so anxious to get his release all of a sudden," a source said. The Packers reportedly believe taped phone calls submitted to the NFL office will reveal "more than normal contact" between Favre and Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. Job-related speech with a coach from another team would violate NFL rules because Favre is still under contract with the Pack.

Holy cow, what started as a tampering charge could lead to a federal wiretapping charge on someone..... :wink:

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 06:26 AM

Holy cow, what started as a tampering charge could lead to a federal wiretapping charge on someone..... :wink:Not if the Packers calim they were trying to prevent a terrorist attack. :wink:

Rastak
07-17-2008, 06:35 AM

Holy cow, what started as a tampering charge could lead to a federal wiretapping charge on someone..... :wink:Not if the Packers calim they were trying to prevent a terrorist attack. :wink:

Actually, I just read the whole story and it sounded more like phone records. It is in the NFL's power to find guilty base on circumstantial evidence. If I recall the evidence against the 49ers was pretty flimsy. It's so hard to prove they like to make a point. One thing that could be a defense is Greta's brilliant question "Would you play for the Minneapolis Vikings"? He said he could envision that. Greta knows her football as a side note. :wink:

]{ilr]3
07-17-2008, 06:39 AM
[quote=cpk1994][quote="Rastak
Greta knows her football as a side note. :wink:

Is that why she called them the Minneapolis Vikings twice in one night?

Edit: With the wink at the end I am now assming you were joking :oops:

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Actually, I just read the whole story and it sounded more like phone records. It is in the NFL's power to find guilty base on circumstantial evidence. If I recall the evidence against the 49ers was pretty flimsy. It's so hard to prove they like to make a point. One thing that could be a defense is Greta's brilliant question "Would you play for the Minneapolis Vikings"? He said he could envision that. Greta knows her football as a side note. :wink:That question is not a defnese for the Vikings, Ras. Thats circumstancial incrimination. That lends credence to the Packers claim.

Bretsky
07-17-2008, 07:50 AM
FESS UP MAN

It wasn't Bevell trying to take Favre into going to the Vikings

It was RASTAK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rastak
07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
FESS UP MAN

It wasn't Bevell trying to take Favre into going to the Vikings

It was RASTAK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, where do you think I got this snazzy tan? Mississippi!

mngolf19
07-17-2008, 08:25 AM
I agree. If the ratings weren't going to be high enough for that week 1 game already, they'll be even higher now. And not that anyone needs any, but this becomes bulletin board material.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 08:27 AM
A. There was no infraction. Favre and Bevell have a friendship. They are allowed to talk to each other as friends.

B. This is merely a warning shot that Thompson is firing over the bow of the Viking's love boat. I doubt he expects this to actually hold up, but he did this to make it known to everyone in the league that he is watching.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 08:30 AM
A. There was no infraction. Favre and Bevell have a friendship. They are allowed to talk to each other as friends.

B. This is merely a warning shot that Thompson is firing over the bow of the Viking's love boat. I doubt he expects this to actually hold up, but he did this to make it known to everyone in the league that he is watching.They can talk to each other, but if Bevell mentioned ANYTHING about coming to Minnesota, that is a voilation of the tampering rules. You cannot state beyond resonable doubt that this isn't an infraction. That is for Goodell to sort out.

HarveyWallbangers
07-17-2008, 09:23 AM
I have the belief that the allegations are probably true, but I have my doubts that they can be proven. Didn't anybody else find it strange that Favre doesn't appear to want to work with the Packers on a trade? He knows they'd never trade him within the division. He wants to be released because he doesn't want to "cede control to the Packers." Kind of strange. You'd think he'd know that the Packers own his rights and were paying him $12M/year. You'd think he'd want to help out the Packers--unless he wants to play for a team in the division.

Favre threw Campen under the bus. I wonder if Campen is the Packers source. Maybe he let it known to Campen that the Vikings have shown interest, and this is payback time for Campen. That's just speculation, but it would be interesting. I wonder if Chilly finds Green Bay's "soap opera" more interesting now.

Fritz
07-17-2008, 10:07 AM
There are several interesting aspects of this long-running story, and there have been some excellent posts here - thanks for the good reading.

From my perspective, what I find quite interesting about all of this is Favre's apparent continued lack of commitment to coming back. I didn't see this noted (though perhaps it was), but in Favre' interview with Sustern, he commented that he would be 100% committed if he did come back This suggests - to me - that he's not 100% committed at this time. In addition, I find it confusing that Favre or Cook are claiming that the ball is in the Packers' court when in fact they can do nothing at all - release him, trade him, anything - until Favre applies for reinstatement. Which he has not done. Why not?

There may be many conclusions that can be drawn from this, but two strike me as the most obvious (and according to Occam's Razor therefore the most likely): One is that Favre isn't really sure he wants back, but in case he decides he does want back what he wanted originally was the option of being welcomed back (joyfully) by the Packers. When they didn't give him carte blanche to come back any time, he got mad. So now he's striking back out of hurt, and thus this is more about his bruised feelings than any real desire to play. He still seems uncertain as to whether he wants to play football this year.

The other obvious conclusion is that Favre kinda wants to maybe play, but when the Packers did not give him a deadline of, say, training camp, he decided to take his ball and not only go home but then go see if he could play with the Packers' (probable) biggest division rival this year in order to screw the Pack. It would be a big F___ You to the Packers (if of course Favre has a good year the the Queens do really well while the Packers don't).

Are there other fairly obvious possibilities (that account for the facts we know) I'm missing?

Also, earlier Bretsky made reference to a Silverstein article in which the writer wonders how fans/team can complain and whine about a player they no longer are interested in. To me, that's simple: in that regard this is absolutely no different than the Mike Mckenzie or Javon Walker situations. The Packers own the rights (by league rule) to a very talented player who is no longer happy with the team and is causing much disruption. The Packers or fans or both are not so much whining (although there's some of that, perhaps) as they are figuring out what's best for the team.

You'd like to get a return on your investment. So you do care about that investment. I think the logic that since you don't care to have the guy on your team you should just get rid of him is foolish. You've got to try to get something in return for letting the player get out of town. It worked in both Mckenzie's case and in Walker's case. It could work here - if Favre really does want to play and applies for reinstatement. Why let Favre go for free if you can get a draft pick for him?

Partial
07-17-2008, 10:08 AM
I have the belief that the allegations are probably true, but I have my doubts that they can be proven. Didn't anybody else find it strange that Favre doesn't appear to want to work with the Packers on a trade? He knows they'd never trade him within the division. He wants to be released because he doesn't want to "cede control to the Packers." Kind of strange. You'd think he'd know that the Packers own his rights and were paying him $12M/year. You'd think he'd want to help out the Packers--unless he wants to play for a team in the division.

Favre threw Campen under the bus. I wonder if Campen is the Packers source. Maybe he let it known to Campen that the Vikings have shown interest, and this is payback time for Campen. That's just speculation, but it would be interesting. I wonder if Chilly finds Green Bay's "soap opera" more interesting now.

I really don't think he threw Campen under the bus. It was all but said by TT publically. I was also pretty much assumed.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 10:40 AM

Too funny. So when Martha Stewart talked to her friend, the CEO of a company she had investments with, that wasn't insider trading?

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 10:45 AM
One is that Favre isn't really sure he wants back, but in case he decides he does want back what he wanted originally was the option of being welcomed back (joyfully) by the Packers. When they didn't give him carte blanche to come back any time, he got mad. So now he's striking back out of hurt, and thus this is more about his bruised feelings than any real desire to play. He still seems uncertain as to whether he wants to play football this year.

This is my impression also.

When MM & TT told Favre on June 20 that they had moved-on with Rodgers, that really should have been the end of the drama. Favre claimed in the interview that of course he accepts their decision, but obviously not. Why was there any need for public comments by either side?

And regarding Favre's desire to play football: He doesn't want to play in Tampa Bay because he prefers a cooler climate? :lol: :lol: I don't know if the story is true, but I'm not sensing a fire in the belly.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Too funny. So when Martha Stewart talked to her friend, the CEO of a company she had investments with, that wasn't insider trading?

It depends on whether or not she discussed the company.

Favre has EVERY RIGHT to talk to Bevell as a friend. He just doesn't have the right to discuss "business".

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Exactly. This is a way for Ted to get it in the public record that Favre was making plans to leave prior to asking for reinstatement. If the charges stick and the Vikings get punished, that's a bonus. So within the "rules" of the Blame Game, it's a great move by Ted.

Having said that, I'm sick of the Blame Game. I don't really give a shit who's idea it was for Brett to leave. Ted seems to be getting paranoid about being seen as the GM that drove Favre away. Who cares? He needs to man up and say he is the GM that's getting rid of Favre - because he thinks it's the right thing to do. If they keep winning, Ted's legacy will be just fine.

So my feelings on this move are mixed.

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Favre threw Campen under the bus. I wonder if Campen is the Packers source. Maybe he let it known to Campen that the Vikings have shown interest, and this is payback time for Campen. That's just speculation, but it would be interesting.

I was speculatin' the same thing. I can only imagine the debriefing Campen had to give the Packers after Brett's info came out. Ted and Mike probably put a sack over his head and took him to Egypt where they could get medieval on his ass.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Ted seems to be getting paranoid about being seen as the GM that drove Favre away. Who cares? He needs to man up and say he is drving Favre away - because he thinks it's the right thing to do. If they keep winning, Ted's legacy will be just fine.

One point that has not been emphasized: Its not just TT. If McCarthy wanted to stick with Favre, there is no way TT would go out on this limb.

I also think the situation is more nuanced than TT driving Favre out of town. I believe his offer to bring Favre back in an undetermined role is sincere, if not so welcoming. There is room to work this out.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Favre threw Campen under the bus. I wonder if Campen is the Packers source. Maybe he let it known to Campen that the Vikings have shown interest, and this is payback time for Campen. That's just speculation, but it would be interesting.

I was speculatin' the same thing. I can only imagine the debriefing Campen had to give the Packers after Brett's info came out. Ted and Mike probably put a sack over his head and took him to Egypt where they could get medieval on his ass.

maybe, but I somehow sense Mike Sherman's hand in this.

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 11:20 AM
One point that has not been emphasized: Its not just TT. If McCarthy wanted to stick with Favre, there is no way TT would go out on this limb.

I also think the situation is more nuanced than TT driving Favre out of town. I believe his offer to bring Favre back in an undetermined role is sincere, if not so welcoming. There is room to work this out.

Fair enough. You can sub Packers for Ted if you want.

I'm less optimistic that a solution exists where Favre comes back. Especially since the tampering charges are intended to imply that Favre is a sneaky traitorous fuck, and since Brett has called Ted a lying incompetant asshole. The Blame Game seems to be all about exit strategy in my opinion.

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Ted and Mike probably put a sack over his head and took him to Egypt where they could get medieval on his ass.

maybe, but I somehow sense Mike Sherman's hand in this.

I think you just heard the word "ass" and subliminally your mind drifted to Sherman. It's understandable. His was a biggun'.

Fritz
07-17-2008, 11:57 AM

Egypt? All they had to do was get that private jet and book a flight to Guantanamo Bay. A little Caribbean vacation for Campen.

I did not hear where Favre said he thought Tampa was too hot, but the dude lives in frickin' Mississippi and played his college ball in the deep south.

I maintain that Favre really truly isn't sure he wants to play football this year, but he is sure he's been slighted by the Packers.

Just wondering - Michael Strahan dithered and slithered about retirement until near the end of training camp last year. I wonder how it would have worked out if the Pack had said to Favre, "Ah, just let us know by the end of July." Could that have worked out? Would Favre be able to train enough in camp to perform at the level he did last year? Would the indecision have in some way hurt the organization, or would he have stepped in and been just fine? Or if he decided to retire at the last minute before camp started, would the Pack be okay with, say, Rodgers and Brohm and maybe an aging, useless vet as the third stringer (someone JT O'Sullivanesque, perhaps)?

FritzDontBlitz
07-17-2008, 12:39 PM
This shit gets funnier by the day. Has Jerry Angelo called yet? I'm kinda looking forward to the ability to see Favre play all 16 games instead of just 8 or 9 a year.

Lurker64
07-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Whether or not the allegations of specific tampering can be proven, it bears mentioning that the NFL under Goodell has a very low standard for tampering. For example, according to this article (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-67/It-s-not-a-good-time-to-be-charged-with-tampering.html) (and this one (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?&entry_id=25163)) the main evidence in the recent ruling against the 49ers was that phone records showed a 49ers official had called Rosenhaus during the timeframe in question. The records at no point even indicated whether or not Rosenhaus actually answered the phone, but the 49ers were still punished with loss of draft picks and draft position.

The Bears had a record that a phone call was made and the 49ers ended up losing draft picks and draft position, that's it. By this standard if the Packers have anything whatsoever of substance (e.g. "more contact between Favre and Bevell than usual in June-July" or "any single utterance of 'you should come be a Viking' by Bevell") then the Vikings are going to get tagged in this one.

Also considering that this controversy has dominated media coverage of the NFL but really hasn't left the league as a whole looking good, Goodell might be inclined to lower the already very low standards for this charge. I mean, no NFL fan was really aware of the Briggs/49ers situation and not a lot of them called, but a large number of NFL fans fall into the camps of "Sick to their stomach", "angry at someone", or "annoyed at this whole situation" about the Favre thing.

If the Packers can make a convincing case that the genesis of this whole debacle is tied in any way to the tampering charge, in light of the damage this situation could potentially do to the Green Bay Packers, the NFL may very well come down hard. The NFL doesn't even want teams to entertain the option of "covertly courting your rival's retired superstars in order to create a media firestorm that hurts your rival."

So while the Packers might not be able to prove anything by any reasonable standard, that doesn't mean that the NFL won't find in favor of Green Bay.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't think Briggs had any relationships with 49er coaches...maybe I'm wrong. In that way, it was easier to prove the call was about "business".

If Briggs is talking to a 49er who he has no relationship with...what the hell else is it gonna be about?

If Favre is talking to Bevell...a guy who he has a friendship with...it will be harder to prove the call was strictly business. Obviously, if they can prove it, the Vikings will be hurt.

Lurker64
07-17-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't think Briggs had any relationships with 49er coaches...maybe I'm wrong. In that way, it was easier to prove the call was about "business".

If Briggs is talking to a 49er who he has no relationship with...what the hell else is it gonna be about?

If Favre is talking to Bevell...a guy who he has a friendship with...it will be harder to prove the call was strictly business. Obviously, if they can prove it, the Vikings will be hurt.

But, the phone call in question wasn't between Briggs and the 49ers, it was between the 49ers and Drew Rosenhaus, Briggs's agent. Rosenhaus represents a great number of players in the NFL, including several who were on the 49ers roster at the time of the call. Who's to say the 49ers weren't calling about a contract extension for Frank Gore? (Or Ronald Fields, Jason Hill, Marcus Hudson, or Moran Norris?)

But the NFL found "the existence of a phone call between a team and an agent who represents several players on that team as well as a free agent" to be sufficient "proof" for tampering. So Favre being Bevell's friend might not be any protection here. It seems to me that the NFL is primarily concerned with "avoiding the appearance of impropriety".

Rastak
07-17-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree with both Leaper and Lurker actually. Here's my take.

In the 49ers case the conviction so to speak was on pretty flimsy evidence but it did make a certain bit of sense.

If phone records are provided and it turns out Favre and Bevell talked once every month all year, forget it. They are friends and there is no rule prohibiting that.

If he called once a month until late june and then called twice a day? Well, that's a whole different thing. Absent any real evidence but armed with that I would guess it would be enough.

I do like Harv's take on Campen being maybe a witness of sorts. Could very well be. Still, this stuff is so hard to prove.

The league interviews people:

Campen: Favre told me the Vikings want him.
Favre: I never talked about that.
Bevell: I never talked about it.

It's tough and that's why the league doesn't seem to give teams the benefit of the doubt.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I see. I didn't really know the particulars of the Briggs situation. It does appear that the Vikings could be in for some penalties.

Pretty soon, the Vikings won't have any draft picks left in 2009.

Rastak
07-17-2008, 01:53 PM
I see. I didn't really know the particulars of the Briggs situation. It does appear that the Vikings could be in for some penalties.

Pretty soon, the Vikings won't have any draft picks left in 2009.

Which 2009 picks are they missing?

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Which 2009 picks are they missing?

All the ones you guys are going to give us for Favre. :D

mraynrand
07-17-2008, 03:54 PM
If I recall, the only Viking who ever tampered with Favre was John Randle

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/72323731.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB039B6BD23F31DDC5 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

http://www.vikingstailgate.com/images/chicken.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I think Favre's interest in the Vikings is pretty obvious, he's hoping to be reunited with Robert Fergusson. You gotta admire the loyalty.

SnakeLH2006
07-19-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm as big a Favre fan as they come....but seriously..Faver will end his starting streak in weeks on that turf....This is so absurd...Favre knows better than to play with the ViQueens. 39 years old..hard to believe it, as iron as he is, but he'd get smoked on that turf. NO WAY it happens.

Fritz
07-19-2008, 08:05 AM
I think Favre's interest in the Vikings is pretty obvious, he's hoping to be reunited with Robert Fergusson. You gotta admire the loyalty.

Bretsky?

pbmax
07-19-2008, 08:21 AM
About the Briggs and Bears tampering, the story I recall is that the league was able to match emails to phone calls to Rosenhaus, where it appeared information that could only have come from the agent about Briggs (possibly contract terms?) ended up in the email after calls from Rosenhaus.

So phone records may not be enough.

pbmax
07-19-2008, 08:26 AM
PFT summary of email and phone call link:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/25/more-than-two-calls-did-in-niners/

Source of email info (San Jose Mercury News):

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/kawakami/2008/03/25/49ers-tampering-story-theres-definitely-more-damning-evidence-than-just-2-phone-calls/#more-938

Dabaddestbear
07-19-2008, 04:03 PM

swede
07-19-2008, 05:10 PM

Urlacher does not have a piss face.

Sure, he's ugly, but he doesn't have a piss face.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-19-2008, 05:53 PM

Urlacher is calling Favre piss face.

mission
07-19-2008, 05:57 PM
what a difference a comma makes to a swede :)

swede
07-19-2008, 09:36 PM
GD DP

swede
07-19-2008, 09:37 PM

Urlacher is calling Favre piss face.

It's okay Tyrone. There are a bazillion things about which you are the ultimate authority; the comma of address and the changes in meaning caused by its omission is simply not among them. Some of us flame people more quietly than others.

MJZiggy
07-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Sometimes quiet is better...

HarveyWallbangers
07-23-2008, 09:23 PM
It keeps looking worse for the Vikings. Bringing up tampering charges against another team isn't very common, so I kind of figured the Packers might have good case. We'll see though.

Two NFL sources said Wednesday that, in addition to cell-phone records of calls between Favre and Minnesota coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, the club also claims Favre sent text messages back-and-forth with the two Vikings coaches...

A league source confirmed previous media reports that Favre was using a Packers-issued cell phone in his alleged communications with Bevell and Childress...

"We keep (text messages) for a very short time — days," said David Clevenger, Verizon's executive director of media relations for the Midwest region. "Then, we clean out our computers. We have 68 million customers, and we wouldn't be able to keep all their text messages. We have no reason to do it. There's no way they (the Packers) would be able to go back and pull up what was said (in the texts)."

But, the owners of the phone are able to see where the texts were sent, much like an itemized bill details every call made and received.

"If they own the phone, then they have the right to do that," Clevenger said.

Clevenger also said Verizon only began making text message destination numbers accessible to owners in May.

Chevelle2
07-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Vikings: "hey brett its chilly. wat u say abt cumin to mn to ball eh? LOL"

Brett: "dood TT is gay. lets doo it! ME+AP=SB!"

Vikings: "DLOL! SUX 2 B T-JACK!"

HarveyWallbangers
07-24-2008, 01:28 AM
Now, sources are saying the phone records reports are false--as Favre doesn't have a Packers issued cell phone. No players do--which makes more sense.

Rastak
07-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Now, sources are saying the phone records reports are false--as Favre doesn't have a Packers issued cell phone. No players do--which makes more sense.

Hopefully the NFL will let us all know what really happened, or at least what they believe happened.

I really should send TT a fruit basket for helping spark a little interest in July for Viking fans too!

What a guy. He keeps you guys on the edge of your seat and he still has time to make it interesting for me!

Badgepack
07-24-2008, 08:35 AM

So Favre stole a phone from the Packers too, that SOB.

Fritz
07-24-2008, 09:01 AM

Hopefully the NFL will let us all know what really happened, or at least what they believe happened.

I really should send TT a fruit basket for helping spark a little interest in July for Viking fans too!

What a guy. He keeps you guys on the edge of your seat and he still has time to make it interesting for me!

According to Tank and a few others, TT is a fruit basket.

packrat
07-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Maybe that is why TT is such a good GM--full time attention to football players, without the kind of distractions that affect Tony Romo's performance. If so, maybe there will be a run on gay GM's. (and players?)

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Kind of interesting.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-2-173/Could-the-Vikings-rescue-Green-Bay-.html

The Packers, according to ESPN's John Clayton and others, believe the Vikings tried to stir the pot, if nothing else, by consulting with Favre on his decision to apply for reinstatement. The Vikings, on the other hand, were livid when the Packers initiated a tampering investigation, believing it was an attempt by the Packers to draw attention away from their own missteps.

Those emotions are still bubbling on the surface. Wednesday, we asked Packers coach Mike McCarthy whether he had any competitive concerns about facing Favre on another team, in the NFC North or otherwise.

"As far as where Brett Favre goes or if he's going to go," McCarthy said, "those are all hypotheticals. I'd really like to share my opinion on that, but I'm not going to do that."

In an instigating mood, we encouraged McCarthy to offer that opinion. Alas, he shook his head.

"That's why I'm holding on to this mike," he said, glancing down at his white-knuckled grip on a television microphone stand.

boiga
08-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah harvey, McCarthy also told a fan during the "Mike McCarthy Show" that it was hard for him to toe the line with the administration's attempt to "Take the high road."

Given that Favre virtually confirmed tonight that if he can't start for the Packers he wants to join up with the vikes, M3's anger is starting to make a lot of sense.

Also, considering that it's the vikes or bust, these tampering charges seem likely to stick.

gex
08-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Damn Boiga, you got 12 threads you either started or were the last to post on the front page.

You sure do get around :wink:

boiga
08-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Damn Boiga, you got 12 threads you either started or were the last to post on the front page.

You sure do get around :wink:It was quiet 15 minutes and I'm bored... I was wondering if Wisconsin had fallen off the face of the earth actually because no one was responding.

Iron Mike
08-02-2008, 12:53 PM

I'm sorry.........is this thread entitled "Predict the number of wins for the Bears in 2008" and you couldn't find the key with 3 on it? :P

Iron Mike
08-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Back on topic, shouldn't the tampering case have come to a resolution by now??? :?

DonHutson
08-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Back on topic, shouldn't the tampering case have come to a resolution by now??? :?

Shhh... you're disrupting the Hall of Fame game.

:twisted:

Rastak
08-02-2008, 03:58 PM

Shhh... you're disrupting the Hall of Fame game.

:twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: