PDA

View Full Version : Part 3

Brando19
07-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Looks like FoxNews just announced Part 3 of the Favre interview will be tonight at 10 pm Eastern time. I guess Favre = good ratings. Go ahead, Brett...dig the hole deeper. Greta is also supposed to interview former Bears QB Jim Miller.

http://www.foxnews.com/ontherecord/index.html

Freak Out
07-16-2008, 06:35 PM
:lol:
Keep them above the belt. Jim Miller? Now that's funny.

RashanGary
07-16-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm going to sleep early tonight. I have an 8 mile run tomorrow morning and I"m not going to be tired all day for another one of those. Still, I am anxiously awaiting hearing this one.

PackerTimer
07-16-2008, 09:31 PM
He sounded like a jilted ex-girlfriend. I'm so glad the news came out today that he isn't going to hurry to seek reinstatement. After what he has said the last few night, he's burnt his bridges with the Packers. Hopefully, he'll just slip quietly back into retirement. He thinks he's setting the record straight. Really it's just whining.

MJZiggy
07-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Did she ask him ANYTHING worth asking? Anything? And has she thought about interviewing someone (oh I don't know) from the TEAM??? Anyone?

vince
07-16-2008, 09:35 PM
My God, what a pathetic public manipulation campaign. That was nothing short of ridiculous.

PackerTimer
07-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Did she ask him ANYTHING worth asking? Anything? And has she thought about interviewing someone (oh I don't know) from the TEAM??? Anyone?

Absolutely nothing. It was a terrible interview. She basically just let him vent. So lame. I think he thought he could swing public opinion back to his side. I think he was close after the first one. There were alot of people that were ready to believe in him, but after the last two, he has sound bitter, jaded, and rather pathetic.

Chevelle2
07-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Oooh what happened?

GBRulz
07-16-2008, 09:51 PM
I didn't know there was a part 3. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

I'm sure Greta only was granted an interview with the stipulation that the "probing" questions wouldn't be asked. can't really blame her for it.

vince
07-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Brett talked about how he can't trust Ted Thompson because he didn't resign Wahle and Rivera like he wanted, didn't interview Steve Marriuchi like he wanted, and didn't sign Randy Moss like he wanted. Brett said that, when he campaigned for those moves, Thompson told him he would do each of those things, but he didn't.

Then Greta interviewed Jim Miller, who talked about how the Packers should allow the great Brett Favre to have input into personnel decisions and let him start for the team or release him.

What a blatant public manipulations effort. At the end, Greta not so casually mentioned that there is a shareholders meeting coming up, and in not so many words encouraged the shareholders to raise a ruckus in favor of Brett Favre.

falco
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Brett talked about how he can't trust Ted Thompson because he didn't resign Wahle and Rivera like he wanted, didn't interview Steve Marriuchi like he wanted, and didn't sign Randy Moss like he wanted. Brett said that, when he campaigned for those moves, Thompson told him he would do each of those things, but he didn't.

Then Greta interviewed Jim Miller, who talked about how the Packers should allow the great Brett Favre to have input into personnel decisions and let him start for the team or release him.

What a blatant public manipulations effort. At the end, Greta not so casually mentioned that there is a shareholders meeting coming up, and in not so many words encouraged the shareholders to raise a ruckus in favor of Brett Favre.

did jim really say that? he's been saying the opposite on NFL radio

Lurker64
07-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Every time Brett Favre opens his mouth, I think less of him. Just shut up and stay retired, Christ. At this rate I'll be picketing your Hall of Fame induction...

Harlan Huckleby
07-16-2008, 11:09 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: No damages for his pain and suffering?

Sounds like 007.

BF4MVP
07-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Tom Pelissero of the Press Gazette analyzes part III:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

packinpatland
07-17-2008, 06:10 AM
My God, what a pathetic public manipulation campaign. That was nothing short of ridiculous.

What part of what he said did you think was untrue?
The Wahle, Rivera part, the Mariucci part or the Randy Moss part?

MJZiggy
07-17-2008, 06:16 AM
I think Vince is referring to the idea that Favre has a belief that he gets some sort of input into those decisions and Greta asked nothing to challenge that notion. Any real reporter would have pondered exactly why Brett thought that it listed "General Manager" in the quarterback job description. It's not germain to the unretirement discussion and they both know it.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 06:29 AM

Well he did take a lot of shots to head in his career.......

hurleyfan
07-17-2008, 06:34 AM

Absolutely nothing. It was a terrible interview. She basically just let him vent. So lame. I think he thought he could swing public opinion back to his side. I think he was close after the first one. There were alot of people that were ready to believe in him, but after the last two, he has sound bitter, jaded, and rather pathetic.

Seems as if all interviews with popular public people are nothing more than a softball game anymore.. No one asks the tough questions.

vince
07-17-2008, 07:08 AM

What part of what he said did you think was untrue?
The Wahle, Rivera part, the Mariucci part or the Randy Moss part?

It may have all been completely true, although there is no doubt (at least in my opinion) that Brett has spun his personal accounts in a blatant attempt to make them appear as damning as possible and try to say opinion to his side.

The point is that Brett Favre has no right whatsoever to tell the new General Manager how he needs to do his job. Thompson is right to take Brett's thoughts under advisement and and act in ways that he and the management staff believe to be the right direction.

Perhaps Thompson should he have immediately nipped the situation in the bud and told Brett to leave the general management duties to him, but that doesn't put Brett in the right here. Perhaps he did that and Brett conveniently neglected to mention that. There's no doubt that Brett conveniently neglected to mention a lot of relevant facts in this completely biased diatribe sponsored by Greta.

Brett is acting like such a prima donna it's become pathetic.

packinpatland
07-17-2008, 07:09 AM
I think Vince is referring to the idea that Favre has a belief that he gets some sort of input into those decisions and Greta asked nothing to challenge that notion. Any real reporter would have pondered exactly why Brett thought that it listed "General Manager" in the quarterback job description. It's not germain to the unretirement discussion and they both know it.

My take was that Brett was simply telling these stories to say that Ted has a history for not always being 100% truthful and forthright, and that history does have a bearing on this whole mess. I can't think of a time when a reporter, team member, or coach has said that of Favre.........in fact the opposite is true.........he's too honest and open.

packinpatland
07-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Was it OK for Brady to lobby for Moss?

vince
07-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Was it OK for Brady to lobby for Moss?
It's OK for them to lobby. It's not OK for them to expect that the general manager will follow their orders. That's not only upside down, it's a combination of ignorance and arrogance (more arrogance) rarely seen in professional sports.

Ted Thompson blew Brett off and didn't listen to his instructions because they were different than the direction Ted wanted to take the team. Now Brett's now crying about it because he can't "trust" Ted to do what Brett tells him to do. That's ridiculous.

vince
07-17-2008, 07:27 AM

To be clear and fair, he didn't say exactly that. I was paraphrasing. He built Brett up by citing his accomplishments and tenure and then suggested that he has earned the right to have input into personnel decisions.

packinpatland
07-17-2008, 07:34 AM
I don't think the issue is that TT didn't do what Brett wanted, as much as he said he would try to keep one guard, said he'd talk to Mariucci, and told the press that he wasn't aware of Favre lobbying for Moss.
He said one thing and did another.
For me, that's the issue.

RashanGary
07-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Ted may have said he'd try. Of all we know of Ted Thomspon, he never says enough to be caught in a lie so I highly doubt he told Brett that he'd get it done.

packinpatland
07-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Ted may have said he'd try. Of all we know of Ted Thomspon, he never says enough to be caught in a lie so I highly doubt he told Brett that he'd get it done.

That still isn't what I'm saying. He told Brett he'd at least give Mariucci a call.............he didn't. He said he wasn't aware that Brett lobbied for Moss....he was aware.
He didn't have to 'get it done'.......he just had to go thru the motions he said he go thru.........above all, just be honest.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
I can't think of a time when a reporter, team member, or coach has said that of Favre.........in fact the opposite is true.........he's too honest and open.

Umm, how about when he recently lied about his interest in returning to the Packers? Said it was all just a rumor?

Or how about when he omits from his side of the story that he changed his mind about retiring last spring, and the team bent over backwards to welcome him back? Then he changed his mind again.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Umm, how about when he recently lied about his interest in returning to the Packers? Said it was all just a rumor?

That isn't really a lie. He did not say that he had no interest. He merely stated that all the reports were rumor, because neither the Packers or Favre had spoken directly about the situation to anyone.

Favre was actually right...that stuff was mostly speculation, some of it turned out to be right, some of it turned out to be wrong.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 10:50 AM

That isn't really a lie. He did not say that he had no interest. He merely stated that all the reports were rumor, because neither the Packers or Favre had spoken directly about the situation to anyone.

Favre was actually right...that stuff was mostly speculation, some of it turned out to be right, some of it turned out to be wrong.

What bullshit. The "just rumors" about him wanting to return turned out to be true. What false speculation?

Leaper, you are rewriting the past faster than Favre.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Leaper, you are rewriting the past faster than Favre.

Not really.

The Packers apparently made it clear to Favre that returning was not an option...but they did not make that clear to the media.

I don't think either side is outright lying here...but both sides have conveniently left out items when it benefits them.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
The Packers apparently made it clear to Favre that returning was not an option...but they did not make that clear to the media.

The only reason why the team said ANYTHING at all to the media was in response to the hissy fit raised by the Favre campers.

And you are correct that TT was more forthright in speaking to Favre than he was in his public announcement, but that's because of his obligation to guard the PAcker interests. He discouraged Favre from returning privately, but publicly he left door open for him to return as non-guaranteed starter, because:

1) Damage control with public relations.
2) It strengthens his hand in trade negotiations with other teams if the Packers look like they have options.
3) Having Favre remain on the roster as a backup, although not TT's first choice, actually has some significant advantages for the team. Not least of which is that Favre can be promoted to the starter role if Rodgers is injured or falters.

Thompson is a goddman GM, he is not hired to show all his cards to the public. How open and forthright was Ron Wolf?

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 11:03 AM

The only reason why the team said ANYTHING at all to the media was in response to the hissy fit raised by the Favre campers.

And you are correct that TT was more forthright in speaking to Favre than he was in his public announcement, but that's because his duties in guarding the PAcker interests required it. He discouraged Favre from returning privately, but publicly he left door open for him to return as non-guaranteed starter, because:

1) Damage control with public relations.
2) It strengthens his hand in trade negotiations with other teams if the Packers look like they have options.
3) Having Favre remain on the roster as a backup, although not TT's first choice, actually has some significant advantages for the team. Not least of which is that Favre can be promoted to the starter role if Rodgers is injured or falters.

Thompson is a goddman GM, he is not hired to show all his cards to the public. How open and forthright was Ron Wolf?Wolf actually was a little too open at times, like when he kept saying how it assinine that Sherm Lewis was passed over for head coaching jobs and then psased Shem over himself leading to the Ray Rhodes hire. Then there was the imfamous "vote of confidence" right before he fired Rhodes. Wolf was quite the opposite of TT to the point of talking out of both sides of his mouth.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 11:05 AM
ya, wolf popped off from time to time, but he could also be a world class bluffer and liar.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 11:08 AM
ya, wolf popped off from time to time, but he could also be a world class bluffer and liar.Very true.

Merlin
07-17-2008, 11:29 AM
It is true that you do want a certain amount of deception in your GM, but not to his own team. Favre has been known to tell it like it is and be too honest. I think when any rumors come out about him he struggles with what he told whoever because he knew he should have kept his mouth shut. Especially his family. I don't know how he can't feel betrayed by his family when he makes comments in private to them.

It is obvious that Ted Thompson lead Favre to believe he would do some things and then never did them. What words were used really doesn't matter as the perception was there. It is true that when you have a great player on a team you may ask his opinion from time to time about certain things. It's obvious that there was a report between Bret and Thompson. It's obvious Thompson didn't pull the "I am the GM let me do my job" act. I don't think any GM would do that with their Franchise player. If someone asks you if you will try to do something or look into it and you respond by saying you will and you don't, Favre is right, it isn't exactly lying but it is deceptive.

I know that this issue is splitting fans right down the middle. If Ted Thompson is as good of a GM that certain people make him out to be then he is smart enough to know that this is about winning football games in 2008. Doing what is best for the Green Bay Packers so they can succeed in 2008. Putting the best players on the field from your roster in 2008. If Favre is on the roster in 2008 and Favre is not the starter in 2008, then Ted Thompson is quite possibly the dumbest person in the NFL. Thompson is always preaching about "best player available" and how the best football players make the team, yadda yadda yadda. If Favre files for reinstatement and Ted Thompson trades him, releases him, or makes him a backup, then Ted Thompson has done a complete 180 on his own philosophy. Can you Thompson backers handle a guy talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk? Can you handle someone who doesn't do what is best for your team to win in 2008? After these interviews with Favre, there is no doubt in my mind that Ted Thompson has been purposely been trying to get Brett Favre out of Green Bay, preferably to retire so he doesn't look like the bad guy. It's blown up in his face.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 11:44 AM
It is obvious that Ted Thompson lead Favre to believe he would do some things and then never did them.

Nonsense. Rather than make a general slander, why don't you say something specific.

Favre himself has never claimed that TT lied to him privately. Favre's complaint is that TT mislead the public in his most recent remarks. And even that claim turns out to be pretty weak.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 11:44 AM
It is true that you do want a certain amount of deception in your GM, but not to his own team. Favre has been known to tell it like it is and be too honest. I think when any rumors come out about him he struggles with what he told whoever because he knew he should have kept his mouth shut. Especially his family. I don't know how he can't feel betrayed by his family when he makes comments in private to them.

It is obvious that Ted Thompson lead Favre to believe he would do some things and then never did them. What words were used really doesn't matter as the perception was there. It is true that when you have a great player on a team you may ask his opinion from time to time about certain things. It's obvious that there was a report between Bret and Thompson. It's obvious Thompson didn't pull the "I am the GM let me do my job" act. I don't think any GM would do that with their Franchise player. If someone asks you if you will try to do something or look into it and you respond by saying you will and you don't, Favre is right, it isn't exactly lying but it is deceptive.

I know that this issue is splitting fans right down the middle. If Ted Thompson is as good of a GM that certain people make him out to be then he is smart enough to know that this is about winning football games in 2008. Doing what is best for the Green Bay Packers so they can succeed in 2008. Putting the best players on the field from your roster in 2008. If Favre is on the roster in 2008 and Favre is not the starter in 2008, then Ted Thompson is quite possibly the dumbest person in the NFL. Thompson is always preaching about "best player available" and how the best football players make the team, yadda yadda yadda. If Favre files for reinstatement and Ted Thompson trades him, releases him, or makes him a backup, then Ted Thompson has done a complete 180 on his own philosophy. Can you Thompson backers handle a guy talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk? Can you handle someone who doesn't do what is best for your team to win in 2008? After these interviews with Favre, there is no doubt in my mind that Ted Thompson has been purposely been trying to get Brett Favre out of Green Bay, preferably to retire so he doesn't look like the bad guy. It's blown up in his face.Problem is YOU think Farve is the better player. TT is not you. He and M3 may well believe A-Rod is the man for the job. It doesn't matter what you think or I think, it matters what they think, and I trust their judgement becuase their track record so far has been very good.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 11:48 AM
It doesn't matter what you think or I think, it matters what they think, and I trust their judgement becuase their track record so far has been very good.

I think the track record of all Packer executives while Brett Favre has been the QB has been very good for the most part.

Winning in the NFL without a HOF caliber QB is far more difficult...and is something Thompson hasn't had to deal with yet. It won't be a piece of cake. Hopefully he continues to have great success, but I'm not going to be 100% counting on it.

Merlin
07-17-2008, 11:48 AM

I know that this issue is splitting fans right down the middle. If Ted Thompson is as good of a GM that certain people make him out to be then he is smart enough to know that this is about winning football games in 2008. Doing what is best for the Green Bay Packers so they can succeed in 2008. Putting the best players on the field from your roster in 2008. If Favre is on the roster in 2008 and Favre is not the starter in 2008, then Ted Thompson is quite possibly the dumbest person in the NFL. Thompson is always preaching about "best player available" and how the best football players make the team, yadda yadda yadda. If Favre files for reinstatement and Ted Thompson trades him, releases him, or makes him a backup, then Ted Thompson has done a complete 180 on his own philosophy. Can you Thompson backers handle a guy talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk? Can you handle someone who doesn't do what is best for your team to win in 2008? After these interviews with Favre, there is no doubt in my mind that Ted Thompson has been purposely been trying to get Brett Favre out of Green Bay, preferably to retire so he doesn't look like the bad guy. It's blown up in his face.Problem is YOU think Favre is the better player. TT is not you. He and M3 may well believe A-Rod is the man for the job. It doesn't matter what you think or I think, it matters what they think, and I trust their judgement becuase their track record so far has been very good.

What I think you are right does not matter, but to dismiss the opinion of most NFL experts over that of Ted Thompson is ridiculous. Ted Thompson has made "I am smarter then you" decisions and then they turned out to be stupid moves. Open your eyes and quit blindly following the guy, he isn't God, he has made mistakes and he is as much to blame for this issue as anyone else.

Merlin
07-17-2008, 11:50 AM
It is obvious that Ted Thompson lead Favre to believe he would do some things and then never did them.

Nonsense. Rather than make a general slander, why don't you say something specific.

Favre himself has never claimed that TT lied to him privately. Favre's complaint is that TT mislead the public in his most recent remarks. And even that claim turns out to be pretty weak.

What's nonsense is you blatantly dismissing Favre's comments and then making things up as you go and fueling the fire. I do not know what was said but the perception was there (if you care to READ everything I said). You would never take anything out of context and run with it (see your post about how it's obvious Favre wouldn't mind playing for the Vikings). Sad, really sad.

My Bad, you didn't make the Vikings comment, Idle did.

sharpe1027
07-17-2008, 11:58 AM

It is not so obvious. He had a deal in place for Moss. How is that lying? You can quibble about whether or not he was an idiot to let the Patriots out bid him, but there is no way he lied about trying to get Moss. Yet, in Favre's world, apparently he did. It would appear that Favre's digging deep looking for any ammunition he can.

Rastak
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM

It is not so obvious. He had a deal in place for Moss. How is that lying? You can quibble about whether or not he was an idiot to let the Patriots out bid him, but there is no way he lied about trying to get Moss. Yet, in Favre's world, apparently he did. It would appear that Favre's digging deep looking for any ammunition he can.

You must have missed the point he made. He was pissed Ted denied Favre had pushed for it. He was asked "Rumor had it that Favre pushed for the Moss signing" and Ted said "No, that's not true".

Not a big deal to me but it apparently was to Favre.

sharpe1027
07-17-2008, 12:06 PM

You must have missed the point he made. He was pissed Ted denied Favre had pushed for it. He was asked "Rumor had it that Favre pushed for the Moss signing" and Ted said "No, that's not true".

I guess I missed that. In any event, I don't think that is telling Favre one thing and the media another. It is a tough situation, many players would be pissed if their GM told the media about a private conversation.

packinpatland
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM

Lied? ..........you're right, it was an 'untruth'.

billy_oliver880
07-17-2008, 12:11 PM

I guess I missed that. In any event, I don't think that is telling Favre one thing and the media another. It is a tough situation, many players would be pissed if their GM told the media about a private conversation.

It would not be in Ted Thompson's best interest to tell the media that a player has been pushing him to sign a player. Seems to me that it would leave the door open for any player to come to Ted and ask for a player to be signed. It is just not good business practice.

Rastak
07-17-2008, 12:13 PM

It would not be in Ted Thompson's best interest to tell the media that a player has been pushing him to sign a player. Seems to me that it would leave the door open for any player to come to Ted and ask for a player to be signed. It is just not good business practice.

Exactly, so the proper response was "I can't get into that now".

sharpe1027
07-17-2008, 12:16 PM

It's not that simple. The media and all of us would assume that means "yes."

Rastak
07-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Which would be the truth. Better to "no comment" than lie.

sharpe1027
07-17-2008, 12:25 PM

Which would be the truth. Better to "no comment" than lie.

Better for who? The second Oakland finds out that Favre is pushing for Moss Oakland gains some leverage.