PDA

View Full Version : news on possible lions WR cuts

red
06-09-2006, 07:13 AM
well i don't know if you guys have talked about it over here, but we've kicked around the idea over at packerchatters that there is a chance lions WR charles rodgers or wr mike williams might soon be available

last night on detroit fox sports network they had a lions expert talking about this

he said its put up or shut up time for rodgers, if he doesn't show anything in training camp or preseason, he'll be cut

then they switched to mike williams, the guy said williams would have already been cut this offseason if it wasn't for the fact that the team would take a 12 million dollar cap hit. i guess he doesn't fit martz's system at all, and will be almost worthless in it. add that to the fact that he doesn't quite have his head on straight and the coaches don't really like him.

these are both two guys that when giving it their all would work out good for green bay. mike willaims is the big name, anyone that saw him play in college knows the kid is a freak, we're talking TO caliber freak

a 12 million dollar hit is huge, but if he continues to tick of the coaches we could see him on the open market

just something to watch for

BlueBrewer
06-09-2006, 08:28 AM
I would like to see either of them in Green Bay, but I don't thnk that we will. Rodgers is no Mr. Rodgers that TT would be looking for, and Williams was a last year top draft pick and they will have to make a run at making him fit before giving up this soon.

woodbuck27
06-09-2006, 10:01 AM
We don't need anymore Problem Child's (Children) on OUR Team. . .but wait a second.

Can we get either in time for the completion of the OTA's. I still can't get over Ryan Pickett's absence and just how long of a vacation does Charles Woodson need?

Both of these FA's should be at the OTA's. I flat out stand on this, as there is a shitload to learn, and maybe both of these fella's are exceptionally bright, but still they should NOT be absent.

We need one thing. ALL HANDS ON BOARD!

I'm not impressed with Al Harris's absence either. Get the "H" in there and prove your worth more $ Mr. Harris, by given errrrr. Donnell Washington ,uhh - uhh, is going to get his over weight ass cut.

Tony Oday
06-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Good Lord I would LOVE Charles Rogers on this team. Kepp him of the sticky icky and away from Tank and he is a guy that can stretch the field ala Walker.

Give Rogers Favre and he will be a top WR in the game.

Partial
06-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Good Lord I would LOVE Charles Rogers on this team. Kepp him of the sticky icky and away from Tank and he is a guy that can stretch the field ala Walker.

Give Rogers Favre and he will be a top WR in the game.

Agreed. And both are big and fit our system. I'd take a flier on 'em. Better than the fraud

chain_gang
06-09-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't like either as a pickup, they have shown nothing at all to warrant their selection status. Also the Lions receiver situation is as unproven as ours, that should say alot. Two former top 10 pickups can't beat out former packers camp body Scotty Vines. They may have potential, but so have Ferguson, Mayes, Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Ike Hilliard, and so on. If any team gives up on a top 10 pick within a year it says something. Now if Mike Williams was willing to convert into a TE he may be worth a look. But Rodgers has had a lot of chances and I have seen nothing to be excited about. I'll take our chances with what we have, versus a Lions cut any day of the week.

woodbuck27
06-09-2006, 11:10 AM
I don't like either as a pickup, they have shown nothing at all to warrant their selection status. Also the Lions receiver situation is as unproven as ours, that should say alot. Two former top 10 pickups can't beat out former packers camp body Scotty Vines. They may have potential, but so have Ferguson, Mayes, Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Ike Hilliard, and so on. If any team gives up on a top 10 pick within a year it says something. Now if Mike Williams was willing to convert into a TE he may be worth a look. But Rodgers has had a lot of chances and I have seen nothing to be excited about. I'll take our chances with what we have, versus a Lions cut any day of the week.

Who wants a Mike Williams " in his mind " Contract and attitude and Carlos Rodgers is one of the really finest College player at WR to simply BUST - end story on him. Some bad fortune but alot of his own bad doing as well - (drugs).

Tony Oday
06-09-2006, 11:20 AM
lol have you guys seen charles rogers play? Last year was a down year but man he has got speed and hands if not for the freek injuries his first two years he would be mentioned in the same breath as Roy Williams.

MadtownPacker
06-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Noodle arm Joey was throwing them the ball, how can anyone expect them to be any good?

Take a chance on either one.

chain_gang
06-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Nobody's been able to see him play, he's injured every year, twice with a broken Collarbone, top that off he's already had to serve a four game suspension for a failed drug test, and I remember back when he was drafted, didn't he have an issue with a diluted urine sample, although it was overlooked, at the time, obviously the issue wasn't fixed, and more than likely you'll be seeing him serving a year long suspension sometime soon, how is that a bad break, that's self induced. Now I'll say I shouldn't be drawing a conclusion on Rodgers because no has seen him play much in the NFL, college is different, he was a stud in college, but so many others have been too. Now he could make something out of himself in the league, but the odds are not in his favor, he has a history of injuries, plus the failed drug test against him, and also the issues at the combine with the urine test. Doesn't look to promising to me. Now the player always has the option to turn it around, but I can't see anything that makes me believe he will.

Look at the last year when he did play, 9 games played, 3 games started, and only 14 recs. for 197 yds and 1 TD. How come he couldn't beat out scotty vines after serving his suspension, that to me says all I need to know about him. You look back at his college career, and he was great. But the past is the past, and he's shown nothing in his three years in the league to show he can be a good/great wideout in the league. He may be a serviceable no.3 or no.4 wideout. If you take out his first game of his career against the Cardinal's he only has 2 TD receptions in his whole career.

CaptainKickass
06-09-2006, 12:46 PM
I like what I've heard about Ruvell Martin, and Greg Jennings way more than what I've heard about either of these guys.

Mazzin
06-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Agreed, someone in camp could blow on his collar bone and break it! :lol: