PDA

View Full Version : ""TIME FOR THIS STORY TO END""

Bretsky
07-16-2008, 07:35 PM
SOLID ANALYSIS

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/16/time-for-this-story-to-end.aspx

gbgary
07-16-2008, 07:50 PM
""TIME FOR THIS STORY TO END""

i've got the biggest case of tired-head over this. http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/images/smilies/tired.gif the only positive i can think of is the chance the vikings might lose a draft pick. :wink:

packinpatland
07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I agree 100%

RashanGary
07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
The Packers are not going to release Favre. The chances of them releasing an unhappy Favre are the same as their chances of releasing an unhappy Walker. It just won't happen, nor should it. The Packers have to do what is best for the Packers. Favre has to do what is best for Favre. That's really all there is to it.

PackerTimer
07-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Absolutely no reason for the Packers to release him. Easy for his sources to say. If it was their guy they would be singing the same tune and wouldn't be willing to let a guy for nothing.

Lurker64
07-16-2008, 08:45 PM
I don't agree with the article at all. The Packers have no reason to decide what to do with Favre so long as he stays retired. If he files for reinstatement, then they have to figure out what to do and I'm sure they've already figured out how they will react if he does so.

But right now, Brett Favre is retired. If he stays retired, it's for the best, but don't treat him like he's not retired when he is.

Bossman641
07-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Yea, I'll pass on this analysis. Why should the Packers give in? Favre is the one primarily responsible for this all. Packers are under no obligation to do anything, especially with Favre not even filing reinstatement papers.

Why should the Packers give Favre what he wants, give the Vikings what they want, and get nothing out of it? Maybe this is me being bitter, but I'd let Brett hang in the wind. See how he acts in the next couple weeks. If he comes to TC and it is a circus and huge distraction, then, and only then do you even think about releasing him.

Who cares if the media battle rages on over the next few weeks, with each interview he does Brett only looks worse.

Joemailman
07-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Now that both sides have stated their positions by talking to the media, maybe they can start acting like adults and fix this mess by talking to each other. It is time to stop making Packer fans choose between supporting the Packers organization and its greatest player. This weekend with Favre in Green Bay for the HOF induction would seem to be a logical time to do it.

HarveyWallbangers
07-16-2008, 10:27 PM
No question he's going to Minnesota if he gets released--unless Thompson can get Minnesota eliminated from the bidding with the tampering charges. Trade him.

Remember the acrimony the Giants went through last offseason? Strahan's retirement, Plax and Shockey getting crap for not attending OTAs, etc. Hopefully, our guys on the team handle it much the same way.

digitaldean
07-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Now that both sides have stated their positions by talking to the media, maybe they can start acting like adults and fix this mess by talking to each other. It is time to stop making Packer fans choose between supporting the Packers organization and its greatest player. This weekend with Favre in Green Bay for the HOF induction would seem to be a logical time to do it.

I agree.

BOTH sides need to swallow some pride and get this crap over with. I know trying to save face in this is what both sides are trying to do, but it's accomplishing zilch.

TT and M3 can both sit down with him and lay out what to do from here. I'd rather have a cloud of secrecy for the next 6 weeks instead of the 2 sides sniping back and forth.

They are like 2 family members fighting with one another not realizing how much it's affecting everybody else. Yeah, it's a business, but chemistry means a lot. I have to think this is bound to have some effect on the locker room if this drags into training camp.

Harlan Huckleby
07-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Terrible, feel-good analysis.

"Just release him and get it over with." How dumb. TT is not payed to harm the Packers interests.

And the point about "they should have given him until May to decide." Well, they might very well have taken him back in May. They already accomodated him with one post-retirement flip flop.

Silverstein (or his un-named theorists) convienently ignore that in early June Favre stated he was thinking about coming back, but still wasn't set.

This article is drivel.

Harlan Huckleby
07-16-2008, 10:57 PM
They are like 2 family members fighting with one another not realizing how much it's affecting everybody else.

Its convienent to say that BOTH sides are being childish, and may help in the reconciliation process.

But the fact is that 100% of the childish, unreasonable behavior has come from Favre's side.

What was TT and MM's supposed crime? They told Favre on June 20 that it was too late for him to return to the Packers as the guaranteed starter, they had moved on with Rodgers.

This is their call. They made a hard-headed business decision, and I am sure they weighed many factors.

Bossman641
07-16-2008, 11:07 PM
They are like 2 family members fighting with one another not realizing how much it's affecting everybody else.

Its convienent to say that BOTH sides are being childish, and may help in the reconciliation process.

But the fact is that 100% of the childish, unreasonable behavior has come from Favre's side.

What was TT and MM's supposed crime? They told Favre on June 20 that it was too late for him to return to the Packers as the guaranteed starter, they had moved on with Rodgers.

This is their call. They made a hard-headed business decision, and I am sure they weighed many factors.

Right on

I keep seeing how it is TT and MM's fault. Their only "fault" was making a hard business decision and not letting Favre return on June 20.

When you look at the actual behavior and who has acted worse, it is no question.

Bretsky
07-16-2008, 11:13 PM
For the huge Favre fans (I'd be in that group) and the luke warm on TT guys this whole ordeal is hard to swallow.

Favre and his camp have acted like crap; tonights interview was a joke.

While nobody really knows but Brett and TT, the one point Favre kept pounding away at was what TT told us through the media and what he was told is not the same. That I believe. TT should sugar coat it for the fans a bit.

And Favre should get out of this media manipulation crap and submit the papers to force the Packes to act. If he has no place in Green Bay and they are moving on, then they will trade him. Stop playing dam games.

OR be a man and set up a meeting with TT this weekend :!:

I just saw Bus Cook stated the next move is by the Packers as they can wait til week 6 of the regular season. I don't see what that accomplishes. He's getting terrible terrible advice by his agent and it's pathetic.

I would not condone releasing Favre; but I'm so sick of this shit and want it to go away enough that if they did I would not care much either.

Harlan Huckleby
07-16-2008, 11:19 PM
While nobody really knows but Brett and TT, the one point Favre kept pounding away at was what TT told us through the media and what he was told is not the same. That I believe. TT should sugar coat it for the fans a bit.

Yes, TT was not being honest. But I had no trouble reading between the lines. The subtext was he (and MM) were cool to Favre's return.

Its like when Tyrone calls up Ziggy for a date, and she says she has to give her cat a bath on Saturday night.

TT had several motivations for not completely slamming the door on Favre publicly. Public relations with fans. Improves his bargaining position for a trade. And having Favre come-in as a backup (with opportunity for promotion) is not such a bad idea for the club.

Bossman641
07-16-2008, 11:30 PM
For the huge Favre fans (I'd be in that group) and the luke warm on TT guys this whole ordeal is hard to swallow.

And Favre should get out of this media manipulation crap and submit the papers to force the Packes to act. If he has no place in Green Bay and they are moving on, then they will trade him. Stop playing dam games.

I just saw Bus Cook stated the next move is by the Packers as they can wait til week 6 of the regular season. I don't see what that accomplishes. He's getting terrible terrible advice by his agent and it's pathetic.

I would not condone releasing Favre; but I'm so sick of this shit and want it to go away enough that if they did I would not care much either.

Question. When you say, that what TT told the media and what he told Brett wasn't the same, what exactly are you talking about?

Wahle and Rivera? Moss? Mooch? Or TT's "Brett can come back to camp" statement?

Bretsky
07-16-2008, 11:35 PM

Question. When you say, that what TT told the media and what he told Brett wasn't the same, what exactly are you talking about?

I think he's told Brett there is not a spot in Green Bay for him and he's sugar coated that for us via the media

Regarding Wahle, Rivera and Mooch.........who the heck cares...and everybody knew Favre offered to give up change to get Moss and TT just didn't close the deal. But all this stuff is meaningless here.

When you look at those interviews, I see a frustrated QB who knows TT does not want him in Green and Gold despite the messages he sends to us. And I don't think Favre trusts TT to trade him to somewhere he wants to go to.

Solution here is simple; send the papers and come to camp. That will create such a circus if TT does not want him he'll trade him fast.

Terrible Terrible advice being given by Bus Cook IMO.

Harlan Huckleby
07-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Solution here is simple; send the papers and come to camp. That will create such a circus if TT does not want him he'll trade him fast.

I agree with this. And what's more, things might even work out well if he comes to camp. I firmly believe that the hard feelings can be smoothed over. And Favre deals with McCarthy, not TT.

Dare I say it: Could this episode even serve as a humbling, learning experience for Lord Favre? Once tempers cool, people could start working together as a team. IF Favre is clearly better than Rodgers, he will find his way to the starting job sooner or later.

Partial
07-16-2008, 11:45 PM
The Packers are not going to release Favre. The chances of them releasing an unhappy Favre are the same as their chances of releasing an unhappy Walker. It just won't happen, nor should it. The Packers have to do what is best for the Packers. Favre has to do what is best for Favre. That's really all there is to it.

You just don't get it.

So what happens when Favre reports to camp and beats out your homeboy? Are you going to shut up and eat crow then?

Bossman641
07-16-2008, 11:52 PM

I think he's told Brett there is not a spot in Green Bay for him and he's sugar coated that for us via the media

Regarding Wahle, Rivera and Mooch.........who the heck cares...and everybody knew Favre offered to give up change to get Moss and TT just didn't close the deal. But all this stuff is meaningless here.

When you look at those interviews, I see a frustrated QB who knows TT does not want him in Green and Gold despite the messages he sends to us. And I don't think Favre trusts TT to trade him to somewhere he wants to go to.

Here's the thing I don't get then. If he told Brett, don't bother to show cause there's no spot for you, and then turned around and said the opposite to the media, don't you think that would have come out by now? Even Favre has admitted he was invited back, and then laughed it off as an insult. Don't you think this would be Favre's most damning evidence regarding TT, rather than stories about Mooch and Moss? If Favre really wanted to stick it to TT and gain public support (and that's all this is really about now) why wouldn't he be pulling out the big guns?

If you think that Favre is above that, then I guess we just disagree. He hasn't held his tongue on much else, why would he hold back on his one ace in the hole? It would be a win-win for him, he would expose TT as a liar AND Favre could show up to camp anyways cause TT would have to be held to his word because he said it publicly.

Bretsky
07-17-2008, 12:11 AM

Here's the thing I don't get then. If he told Brett, don't bother to show cause there's no spot for you, and then turned around and said the opposite to the media, don't you think that would have come out by now? Even Favre has admitted he was invited back, and then laughed it off as an insult. Don't you think this would be Favre's most damning evidence regarding TT, rather than stories about Mooch and Moss? If Favre really wanted to stick it to TT and gain public support (and that's all this is really about now) why wouldn't he be pulling out the big guns?

If you think that Favre is above that, then I guess we just disagree. He hasn't held his tongue on much else, why would he hold back on his one ace in the hole? It would be a win-win for him, he would expose TT as a liar AND Favre could show up to camp anyways cause TT would have to be held to his word because he said it publicly.

TT is too smart to say don't bother to show up; I don't even think he can legally do that. But I do think he said we don't have a spot for you whether you are the best or not........and we don't want to trade you. For a guy like Favre who's been here so long that is a huge ego blow........and TT has sent a message to the fans that he can show up if he chooses and we'll go from there.

I think Favre doesn't go full bore for the stones because deep down he still hopes this somehow works in Green Bay. And him and Deanna both know if he completely hangs him out to dry he 100% won't be back.

And even if he chose to hang TT out to dry, it would still be a my word against his and then people would choose sides; so it serves no purpose.

Regardless he can send the papers and come to camp.

He's idiotic for not doing so; the longer he holds onto those papers the less of a chance he plays in the NFL next year.

Bossman641
07-17-2008, 12:30 AM

TT is too smart to say don't bother to show up; I don't even think he can legally do that. But I do think he said we don't have a spot for you whether you are the best or not........and we don't want to trade you. For a guy like Favre who's been here so long that is a huge ego blow........and TT has sent a message to the fans that he can show up if he chooses and we'll go from there.

I think Favre doesn't go full bore for the stones because deep down he still hopes this somehow works in Green Bay. And him and Deanna both know if he completely hangs him out to dry he 100% won't be back.

And even if he chose to hang TT out to dry, it would still be a my word against his and then people would choose sides; so it serves no purpose.

Regardless he can send the papers and come to camp.

He's idiotic for not doing so; the longer he holds onto those papers the less of a chance he plays in the NFL next year.

Well I guess we'll just agree to disagree then. I've seen nothing from Favre to suggest that he is giving the organization any kind of break in media, personal, or family pressure, so I disagree with the notion that he's holding back on some information he has.

Further, if he really hoped this would work out and he could return to GB he would do one of 2 things, hop on a jet to GB and go talk to them face to face, or STFU go to camp and prove how superior to Rodgers he is. If he's too proud to do these things, then forget him.

Maybe if this was an isolated situation and I was basing it purely on a he said/she said, I could see TT lying about Brett being welcome to camp and Brett keeping it quiet. But when you factor in everything else,: the rumors all summer, not speaking up when his family started talking, his interview the past 3 nights, I just don't see it.

Tarlam!
07-17-2008, 12:32 AM
You just don't get it.

So what happens when Favre reports to camp and beats out your homeboy? Are you going to shut up and eat crow then?

I think many agree Favre is still a better QB, Partial. But he has single handidly divided the fans into three camps if you include "Don't care either way" fans.

If Favre beats out A-Rod, nobody has to eat crow. Harrell's biggest gripe with Favre is his drama queenesque rituals over the last 3 seasons. I agree with Harrell on that.

Bisically, Harrell has said all along that we don't need the drama, we have a good QB. I don't know if I've read A-Rod coming in will be flat out better than Favre starting.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 12:51 AM
i disagree with this article. First Tom says TT would be run out of town of Brett ends up in Minny, but then goes on to say he should release Favre and take that chance anyway. So, Tom is basically saying that TT should put his own job in jeopardy just to "get it over with". Tom, you are just dumb.