PDA

View Full Version : Florio: "Favre more diva than good old boy"

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 03:00 AM
Didn't see this posted and I know its from Florio but still an interesting read:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=434609

Lurker64
07-17-2008, 03:32 AM
The following section is 100% dead-on, even if it's Florio.

4. He thinks the rules don't apply to him

We've seen several players over the past few years who believe they somehow are exempt from the rules of the football industry.

Whether it's Terrell Owens or Jake Plummer or Chad Johnson, each learned that certain business realities prevent them from doing what they want to do, when they want to do it.

Owens learned that a player under contract simply can't create a major disruption to force his team to cut him in a fit of exasperation. Sure, Owens eventually got his wish for a release from the Eagles -- but only after it cost him several game checks and a big chunk of bonus money.

Plummer learned that a player can't pocket a big signing bonus and retire after being traded to a team for which he doesn't want to play. Though Plummer wasn't forced to play for the Buccaneers after they acquired his contract from the Broncos, he ultimately had to pay them. A lot of money.

Johnson learned that a player can't fire his team, no matter how bad he wants it or how loudly he cries for it. When a player is under contract, the team owns the rights to the player. Period.

Despite these realities, Favre wants Packers GM Ted Thompson to tear up the last two seasons of his contract and allow him to become a free agent.

Plenty of players would love to do the same thing, especially with the salary cap creeping toward $120 million per team. But the rules don't contain exceptions for players who have broken NFL records or played in 253 consecutive games (275 counting playoff games) or received incessant praise from guys like John Madden.

When it comes to his contract, Favre is no different than any other player. His decision to seek his release from the Packers and his belief he is entitled to it, suggests that he believes he is different.

Favre's statements in 2005 when ex-teammate Javon Walker held out in a contract dispute made it clear that Favre believes a player should honor his contract. If Favre doesn't think this concept applies to him, then he must think he is above the rules.

Badgerinmaine
07-17-2008, 09:13 AM
The article's a little smart-alecky, but there's a lot of truth in it.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Kind of funny none of the Farve apoligists have had the guts to respond to this article.

GBRulz
07-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Kind of funny none of the Favre apoligists have had the guts to respond to this article.

You've been hanging around Tex too much ! :lol:

I guess what I don't agree with in this article is that Favre's situation is different from the TO's of the world. None of them retired and then wanted to come back to their team and were told "we've moved on" or "you'll be a backup" etc. Heck, I don't even know what is truth or speculation with all the bazillion comments anymore. But anyhow, he is only seeking to be released because the Packers don't want him, not because he isn't happy with his contract.

I think if the Packers tell him they will let him compete for the job or something like that, he comes back. Then again, he basically feels that he shouldn't have to compete for the job and I don't agree with that. Also, none of this will happen if he doesn't file reinstatement papers.

Brett is getting really bad advice IMO from Bus, about the whole thing. If you want back in, file the damn papers already. Until then, the Packers don't have to do anything, nor should they.

I wanted Brett back more than anything, but even this so called "Favre apologist" is beyond tired of the whole drama.

oregonpackfan
07-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Good post, GBR. I agree.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Kind of funny none of the Favre apoligists have had the guts to respond to this article.

You've been hanging around Tex too much ! :lol:

I guess what I don't agree with in this article is that Favre's situation is different from the TO's of the world. None of them retired and then wanted to come back to their team and were told "we've moved on" or "you'll be a backup" etc. Heck, I don't even know what is truth or speculation with all the bazillion comments anymore. But anyhow, he is only seeking to be released because the Packers don't want him, not because he isn't happy with his contract.

I think if the Packers tell him they will let him compete for the job or something like that, he comes back. Then again, he basically feels that he shouldn't have to compete for the job and I don't agree with that. Also, none of this will happen if he doesn't file reinstatement papers.

Brett is getting really bad advice IMO from Bus, about the whole thing. If you want back in, file the damn papers already. Until then, the Packers don't have to do anything, nor should they.

I wanted Brett back more than anything, but even this so called "Favre apologist" is beyond tired of the whole drama.I don't consider you an apologist becuase you saee both sides and give blame to Brett sometimes, unlike Merlin, Woody and others who abide by two rules:

1. Brett is always right.

2. If Brett is wrong, refer to rule 1.

P.S. Iv'e been spending too much time around Tex? If so, I really need to up my medication. :lol:

GBRulz
07-17-2008, 12:05 PM
P.S. Iv'e been spending too much time around Tex? If so, I really need to up my medication. :lol:

Maybe Johnny Jolly can help you out. :rs:

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM

Maybe Johnny Jolly can help you out. :rs:I was thinking Nate Newton would be better. :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
But anyhow, he is only seeking to be released because the Packers don't want him, not because he isn't happy with his contract.

the Packers are willing to trade him, he's the one blocking that. He wants to be a free agent - who wouldn't? He's unhappy that he has a contract. Boo hoo. He's no different than the other prima donnas.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
He's no different than the other prima donnas.

When did TO give 16 years to an organization?

When did TO support a community like Favre has in Wisconsin?

When has Favre burned bridges with 2 separate NFL franchises?

When has Favre had his teammates hate him for his ridiculous statements about their talents and abilities?

Sure, Favre is going Aretha Franklin on us at times in this debacle...but he's not what some of you want to claim he is.

Claiming Owens and Favre are the same makes you look like a dumbass.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 09:33 PM
nothing that Favre has accomplished entitles him to demand, "Make me a starter or make me a free agent."

Donna, donna, the prima donna

In the matter of this latest dispute, he's no more or less selfish than Javon Walker or Terrell Owens were in their conflicts.

RashanGary
07-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Nobody forced him to sign the contract. Now he has to play by the rules of it just like every other player.

bobblehead
07-17-2008, 10:53 PM
He's no different than the other prima donnas.

When did TO give 16 years to an organization?

When did TO support a community like Favre has in Wisconsin?

When has Favre had his teammates hate him for his ridiculous statements about their talents and abilities?

Sure, Favre is going Aretha Franklin on us at times in this debacle...but he's not what some of you want to claim he is.

Claiming Owens and Favre are the same makes you look like a dumbass.

I think brett deserves certain things from the packers, but I think those things are all past now. He had the right to come back and LOSE his job legitimately...he chose not to. If he and ARod were equals he earned the right to start until rogers was superior...he chose not to. He earned the right to play out his contract without being cut due to high salary as long as he is the best QB on the roster....he chose not to.

In THIS INSTANCE he is acting like a TO or others who hold themselves above the team. He has not earned the right to turn this whole thing into the circus that it has become.

Incidentally I thought Bubba Franks earned the right to play out his contract for all that he gave the packers, always showing up in shape, playing his tail off ect ect...but many on this site were begging for his release.

The Leaper
07-18-2008, 08:03 AM
nothing that Favre has accomplished entitles him to demand, "Make me a starter or make me a free agent."

I would agree.

However, IMO, Favre has more of a right to think that way than the other guys you would bring up...even if he is still wrong. That's my point.

The Leaper
07-18-2008, 08:03 AM
In THIS INSTANCE he is acting like a TO or others who hold themselves above the team. He has not earned the right to turn this whole thing into the circus that it has become.

I agree with this as well...but do you ignore the other 16 seasons and conclude that Favre is entirely prima donna?

I don't.

Owens, Ocho Cinco...they have a PATTERN of behavior over years and years. Favre is struggling with this situation, but otherwise he's been a Packer we all can be proud of. Dragging him through the mud because of this is over the top IMO.

KYPack
07-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah, but it's Florio.

This is like Christmas, Easter, and the 4th of July for that little Viking loving weasel.

Toss in New Years, too.

He would cream himself if BF went to the Queens.

You wanna see a Favre apologist?, wait til Brett had on Viking silks.

Carolina_Packer
07-18-2008, 08:51 AM

Don't forget his refusal to report to Baltimore, so that would make 3 teams he's affected in his career. Just waiting for a blow-up in Dallas.

cpk1994
07-18-2008, 08:55 AM

I agree with this as well...but do you ignore the other 16 seasons and conclude that Favre is entirely prima donna?

I don't.

Owens, Ocho Cinco...they have a PATTERN of behavior over years and years. Favre is struggling with this situation, but otherwise he's been a Packer we all can be proud of. Dragging him through the mud because of this is over the top IMO.I say this pattern has occurred since Mike Sherman became head coach. His enabling began what we are seeing now. He let Brett do whatever he wanted, when he wanted, and excused every mistake Brett made in games no matter how boneheaded it was. THere was a falt out refusal to do anything about it as I recall Sherman's imfamous "we're not going to anything to reign him in" statement to the press. ALl the excuses including, "The ball slipped out of his hands" or "Well you know he has a broken thumb". Its no wonder why Brett has the entitlement attitude. It also explains why Brett threatened to retire if Sherman was fired. Thats why he is mad at TT, becuase TT won't give him what Mike Sherman did. Favre just totally ran SHerman over and Sherman refused to anything about it. THen just looking at TT's tenure, this behavior has been very apparent with the Moss stuff. TO say this behavior has only happened this year is ludicrous.