PDA

View Full Version : Will Favre show up to training camp?

packers11
07-17-2008, 12:30 PM
If FAVVVV REEEEE really wants to play football this season he will show up for training camp...

The question is... Will he?

Ted will either name him the starter once he gets there or trade his ass once he shows up. There is no way he would have that huge distraction behind Rodgers if he indeed was the starter...

So lets see if the people on the forum can call this right... Will Favre show up?

SMACKTALKIE
07-17-2008, 12:34 PM
If FAVVVV REEEEE really wants to play football this season he will show up for training camp...

Ted will either name him the starter once he gets there or trade his ass once he shows up. There is no way he would have that huge distraction behind Rodgers if he indeed was the starter...

So lets see if the people on the forum can call this right... Will Favre show up?

Which training camp?

packers11
07-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Which training camp?

You smart ass... :lol:

Considering I put Ted's name in there also, I believe I meant the packers training camp...

SMACKTALKIE
07-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Which training camp?

You smart ass... :lol:

Considering I put Ted's name in there also, I believe I meant the packers training camp...

Sorry. Could'nt help myself.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 12:45 PM

So lets see if the people on the forum can call this right... Will Favre show up?The better question would be "Will Brett file his reinstatement papers? He can't come to camp if he doesn't file.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 12:51 PM
The national media talks like there is a giant groundswell of support for Favre. I don't see it in WI. People want him back on the team, but his play for sympathy with Gretta went over like a lead balloon.

The issue as it is now framed, "Should Favre be guaranteed the starter job" is not going to get a yes from most fans.

Step one is Favre has to accept that his PR ploy has bombed. And then he has to swallow his pride and show up for camp on the Pakcers terms, let the chips fall where they may.

LL2
07-17-2008, 12:55 PM
I wish Favre would either STFU or file those damn reinstatement papers. I say a comment by Bus Cook saying "It's their move" about the Packers. Uh, hello! No it's not. The Packers have said Favre isn't going to be release, and he can file his reinstatement papers. So, it's Favre call at this point. Read the article below. I think it's a pretty good view point of the whole Favre situation.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/07/17/favre.snaps/index.html

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 01:04 PM
My guess, and that's all it is: if Favre wants to play a full season he'll agree to a trade before camp. I'd put these odds at about 15%.

If he just wants to pull a Roger Clemens and show up for the playoffs, he'll ask for reinstatement some time toward the end of camp (I believe he needs to be on the opening day roster to get his full salary, but I'm not sure). The Packers will carry him on the roster at least through the opener against the Vikes, and probably all the way to the trade deadline (it's $12M either way so what the hell). Favre never actually shows up for anything, and says he won't accept any trade from Green Bay. Favre ends up getting released after the deadline, the Vikes sign him, and he makes his first start on Sunday Nov. 9 against: the Packers. I'd put these odds (of at least some of it coming true) at 85%.

Either way, he never shows for camp in Green Bay.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I wish Favre would either STFU or file those damn reinstatement papers. I say a comment by Bus Cook saying "It's their move" about the Packers. Uh, hello! No it's not. The Packers have said Favre isn't going to be release, and he can file his reinstatement papers. So, it's Favre call at this point. Read the article below. I think it's a pretty good view point of the whole Favre situation.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/07/17/favre.snaps/index.htmlBravo, Don Banks, Bravo.

packers11
07-17-2008, 01:09 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80956c72

Schefter on Favre

Adam Schefter reports on his conversation with Brett Favre's agent Bus Cook.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
My guess, and that's all it is: if Favre wants to play a full season he'll agree to a trade before camp. I'd put these odds at about 15%.

If he just wants to pull a Roger Clemens and show up for the playoffs, he'll ask for reinstatement some time toward the end of camp (I believe he needs to be on the opening day roster to get his full salary, but I'm not sure). The Packers will carry him on the roster at least through the opener against the Vikes, and probably all the way to the trade deadline (it's $12M either way so what the hell). Favre never actually shows up for anything, and says he won't accept any trade from Green Bay. Favre ends up getting released after the deadline, the Vikes sign him, and he makes his first start on Sunday Nov. 9 against: the Packers. I'd put these odds (of at least some of it coming true) at 85%.

Either way, he never shows for camp in Green Bay.Id put his odds at ending up with the Vikings at 0.00000000000000000% TT values his job and Favre ending up in Minny is career suicide.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Step one is Favre has to accept that his PR ploy has bombed. And then he has to swallow his pride and show up for camp on the Pakcers terms, let the chips fall where they may.

I would agree. Favre's camp has failed miserably in this one. Favre himself is not the smartest guy around. He's a backwoods hick who can play football like Thor, but in terms of mental gymnastics he's a gimp. Agent Cook doesn't really impress me as a boy genius either.

They've both been exposed by Thompson and the Packer braintrust.

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 01:19 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/07/17/favre.snaps/index.htmlBravo, Don Banks, Bravo.

Absolutely. I agree with almost everything in that article.

My only quibble is with the recurring notion that Ted drafted two QB's to send Brett a message. We only had one viable QB on the roster at the time. The FA available were mostly atrocious. The only even passable one spurned a $1M contract offer. Where else was he supposed to get QB's if not the draft at that point?

Also, if Ted was so fired up to get Brohm and send that message, why did he pass on Brohm twice (at 30 and again at 36 after trading down)? They acutally took him at a place where they didn't think he'd even be around. If they risked missing out on Brohm to take what will this year be a 4th string WR, how desparate could he have been to "send a message" to Favre? And they considered Flynn a fifth round talent, but they didn't take him until the seventh. So they didn't exactly bend over backwards to acquire him either.

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Id put his odds at ending up with the Vikings at 0.00000000000000000% TT values his job and Favre ending up in Minny is career suicide.

But how long would they carry him to ensure that won't happen? He's got three years left on his contract, would you hold him that long? After the deadline, there's no compensation to be gained until the offseason. If the Tavaris Jackson experiment is a failure the Vikes should be in the hole in the division race. If the Jackson experiment is a success, the Vikings won't need Favre. If Jackson is doing OK, there could be some locker room turmoil from bringing in Favre. And can Favre really step in mid-season at pick up where he left off with a new team? If you're going to let him go, that's the best time in my opinion.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Also, if Ted was so fired up to get Brohm and send that message, why did he pass on Brohm twice (at 30 and again at 36 after trading down)?

Precisely.

Thompson wasn't even THINKING about taking a QB on the first day...despite thinking Favre was out of the picture and that he only had Rodgers on the roster.

Brohm was selected because he was by far the best player remaining on the board in Thompson's mind. It had no bearing on the QB situation, especially in terms of Favre potentially changing his mind.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Id put his odds at ending up with the Vikings at 0.00000000000000000% TT values his job and Favre ending up in Minny is career suicide.

But how long would they carry him to ensure that won't happen? He's got three years left on his contract, would you hold him that long? After the deadline, there's no compensation to be gained until the offseason. If the Tavaris Jackson experiment is a failure the Vikes should be in the hole in the division race. If the Jackson experiment is a success, the Vikings won't need Favre. If Jackson is doing OK, there could be some locker room turmoil from bringing in Favre. And can Favre really step in mid-season at pick up where he left off with a new team? If you're going to let him go, that's the best time in my opinion.You can carry him all season if he doesn't report. There is a list for that. Bretts ego won't allow him to step foot in GB if they get past the regular season opener.

GBRulz
07-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Packers11 - Did I give you permission to steal my avatar?? :twisted:

packers11
07-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Packers11 - Did I give you permission to steal my avatar?? :twisted:

haha... i'm sorry... i'll change it again... I wanted a new one, so I changed it earlier today, but then I saw someone post with it. So I changed it again, and now I see you have it....

I'll have to change it again... :oops:

GBRulz
07-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm just kidding with you. I just stole it before you did, that's all !!

How about this one? :lol:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/Favre-1.jpg

Gunakor
07-17-2008, 02:26 PM
If he stays home, then he's staying home. If he reports to camp he'll play. If not here then somewhere else but he'll play. If he doesn't report, I don't see a reason for Green Bay to do anything for him.

packers11
07-28-2008, 11:15 PM
:wait:

packers11
07-31-2008, 01:22 PM
BUMP*

moment of truth on Friday...

boiga
07-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Uhm... he didn't show up for the first day of camp....

So the answer to the poll was "no."

packers11
07-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Uhm... he didn't show up for the first day of camp....

So the answer to the poll was "no."

oh very true, I misread the poll and the initial post... :oops:

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 01:37 PM
NFLN reports that Brett Favre has chartered a plane to Green Bay this afternoon, so odds are he'll be in camp tomorrow. Drama just doubled. Family night just became the Barnum & Bailey Circus. This stinks...

Pacopete4
07-31-2008, 01:39 PM
I think its awesome... him coming to camp gives him his only shot at playing for the pack again.. the fans are already starting to lean and when pre season starts coming and he's not playin... it'l be out of control in packerland

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
I think its awesome... him coming to camp gives him his only shot at playing for the pack again.. the fans are already starting to lean and when pre season starts coming and he's not playin... it'l be out of control in packerland

what do you expect his role will be on the team?

Pacopete4
07-31-2008, 01:42 PM
right away I think they'll take as much time to say "we're trying to get him ready and individual workouts are what we need to do since we havent seen him since his last game" but sooner or later, he'll have to hit that practice field and if its at 2nd string or even lower.. people will not stand for it and a huge reason for that is because NO ONE wants to see that amazing streak ended for really, no reason other than his false retirement

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 01:43 PM

Paco, please understand this because the rest of us already do... Brett Favre coming to camp isn't going to help him get his job back. All it will do is create an even bigger media circus surrounding TC. All this is going to do is cause a bigger distraction. Favre is not, I repeat NOT going to win the starters job back. Nothing good will come from Favre coming to camp. Nothing at all.

Pacopete4
07-31-2008, 01:44 PM
he'll get it back...

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2008, 01:48 PM
individual workouts are what we need to do since we havent seen him since his last game" but sooner or later, he'll have to hit that practice field

If he doesn't express an acceptance of his role as #2, the Packers can keep him out of practice.

people will not stand for it and a huge reason for that is because NO ONE wants to see that amazing streak ended

So what you are saying is that some of the fans, like farve, will not stand for Favre being the backup. So that means a "fair competition" would only lead to more divisiveness if they were to have one and Favre should lose.

If I were advising Favre, I would tell him to accept the #2 job, bide his time.

Gunakor
07-31-2008, 01:51 PM
he'll get it back...

No Paco, he won't. The only way it happens is if Rodgers goes down with another season ending injury while the Packers are still in a playoff hunt. I don't think the coaching and management staffs could have been any more clear on this for the last month. It's not going to happen.