PDA

View Full Version : Jolly cleared of intent to distribute

boiga
07-17-2008, 02:04 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080717/PKR01/80717086/1954/PKR03

All they found in the car was a Dr. Pepper bottle of unknown concentration in the cup holder.

This means he'll probably make it for training camp, thank goodness.

Sorry if this doesn't deserve a new thread, but I figured people would like to know.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080717/PKR01/80717086/1954/PKR03

All they found in the car was a Dr. Pepper bottle of unknown concentration in the cup holder.

This means he'll probably make it for training camp, thank goodness.

Sorry if this doesn't deserve a new thread, but I figured people would like to know.They won't file distribution charges, but he still has the possession charge. He is not out of the woods by any means.

boiga
07-17-2008, 02:14 PM
True, but considering it was a single bottle and he can argue that one of the three passengers (like the guy they found pot on) brought it in without telling him the contents.

Jolly might still be liable, but he's got a good chance of pleading out. Previously we had thought it might have been 200 g of pure codeine. One Dr. Pepper bottle is certainly inoffensive in comparison.

The packers still have to punish the guy and maybe start him on a stricter drug testing regimen. But odds are certainly against him losing playing time.

cpk1994
07-17-2008, 02:16 PM
True, but considering it was a single bottle and he can argue that one of the three passengers (like the guy they found pot on) brought it in without telling him the contents.

Jolly might still be liable, but he's got a good chance of pleading out. Previously we had thought it might have been 200 g of pure codeine. One Dr. Pepper bottle is certainly inoffensive in comparison.

The packers still have to punish the guy and maybe start him on a stricter drug testing regimen. But odds are certainly against him losing playing time.I wouldn't bet against loss 4 games as any plaea is still a violation of the league drug policy.

Edit: It may have been a Dr. Pepper bottle but the report still stands that the Police siezed 200g of codiene.

Pacopete4
07-17-2008, 02:19 PM
I'll take 4 games because I sure as hell thought this was gonna be a lot worse than its turning out to be..

KYPack
07-17-2008, 02:28 PM
These cops got "badge heavy" and over-charged the hell out of big John.

Sure, he will get something out of it, but it was a minor possession beef not like he was a drug kingpin. There is no way the DA should have been allowed to file the initial charges. That was pure bullshit.

AV David
07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
JJ still has some trouble, but he is a hell of a lot better off today than he was yesterday.

HarveyWallbangers
07-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Hell, I didn't think codeine was illegal. Do you need a prescription for it? I guess I got codeine confused with some other drug.

BlueBrewer
07-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Hell, I didn't think codeine was illegal. Do you need a prescription for it? I guess I got codeine confused with some other drug.

it shouldnt be, i get a better buzz from nyquil. :roll: :lol:

boiga
07-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Edit: It may have been a Dr. Pepper bottle but the report still stands that the Police siezed 200g of codiene. Actually, it was 200 g of codeine SYRUP. That means it likely had less than 250 mg of actual codeine mixed in with the Dr. Pepper.

But, the cops are right to arrest someone carrying the stuff. Purple Drank has been becoming more popular as of late and leads to some nasty side effects and addictions in the long run.

Still, this is a lot closer to a pot arrest than anything else.

AV David
07-17-2008, 03:28 PM
As I said above, JJ is a lot better off today than he was yesterday. But there is still potential for disaster here.

Texas is the only state in the Union that allows the JURY to sentence a person convicted of a felony. If the crime calls for a sentence of 0-10 years, the jury can sentence a guy to 10 years on a first conviction. Some have said you can find some rednecks in Texas. In Texas, black men have historically received sentences of almost twice those received by white guys for the same crime. I suspect Texas is making SOME social progress, albeit slow progress. If JJ gets unlucky, his fate could be in the hands of some Texans with dubious motives. That is at least worth worrying about.

KYPack
07-17-2008, 03:41 PM
As I said above, JJ is a lot better off today than he was yesterday. But there is still potential for disaster here.

Texas is the only state in the Union that allows the JURY to sentence a person convicted of a felony. If the crime calls for a sentence of 0-10 years, the jury can sentence a guy to 10 years on a first conviction. Some have said you can find some rednecks in Texas. In Texas, black men have historically received sentences of almost twice those received by white guys for the same crime. I suspect Texas is making SOME social progress, albeit slow progress. If JJ gets unlucky, his fate could be in the hands of some Texans with dubious motives. That is at least worth worrying about.

This is a small case. It won't hit a jury. Probation with no jail time, if that.

Lurker64
07-17-2008, 03:55 PM
I also can't imagine that his status as an NFL player as well as a 2-time all Conference Big 12 football player in Texas will really hurt his standing... unless of course the jury is packed with Longhorns that will hold his Aggie past against him.

AV David
07-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I agree it will probably work out OK. I was pointing out a worst case scenario.

CaliforniaCheez
07-17-2008, 06:25 PM
There is likely a first timer program where is he goes to counseling the charges are dropped and he is on probation for a year where if the is a new arrest he is charged with both.

Without a conviction no suspension. However it is his first time event in the NFL program and the next "problem" he encounters is 4 game suspension.

Even that could be worked a bit.

KYPack
07-17-2008, 06:34 PM
There is likely a first timer program where is he goes to counseling the charges are dropped and he is on probation for a year where if the is a new arrest he is charged with both.

Without a conviction no suspension. However it is his first time event in the NFL program and the next "problem" he encounters is 4 game suspension.

Even that could be worked a bit.

Ding, Ding, Ding.

Give Cheese a beer, that's what will happen.

The Asst DA that signed off on the first charges outta be fired. No way you can file those charges with that shit evidence. A senior DA got in there and changed the filing. Jolly's attorney's could've gotten the whole deal dismissed if they hadn't re-filed.

Freak Out
07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
I've done some drugs in my time....but codeine syrup? WTF are they referring to? Cough syrup? ...in a soda bottle....funny. Is this common? I just wish we could go back to those carefree days of herb and mushrooms....a little cactus every now and again....chew a little leaf. :hug: Oh ya......

NewsBruin
07-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Thank goodness. I've been waiting for the days when we could be a "It's no longer a felony/It's the cops' fault" team.

If Jolly pleads or is found guilty, he's going to get tested, and it's not the Packers' choice or responsibility..

Tyrone Bigguns
07-17-2008, 08:01 PM
I've done some drugs in my time....but codeine syrup? WTF are they referring to? Cough syrup? ...in a soda bottle....funny. Is this common? I just wish we could go back to those carefree days of herb and mushrooms....a little cactus every now and again....chew a little leaf. :hug: Oh ya......

Yes. Southern appers been singing about it/using it for years. Goes by several names...lean, syrup, purple jelly, etc.

http://www.rapdict.org/Syrup

http://www.rapdict.org/Sippin_syrup

Pimp C died of it...but, he also had medical issues that contributed.

mission
07-17-2008, 08:02 PM
wait wait.. he just had a bottle of the sizzzzurrrp?

lol

you kiddin?

its dangerous if you drink a TON of that shit but come on, it's fun and in some settings a lot safer than downing a bunch of whiskey. this is retarded.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Ty would like to be a pepper. Wouldn't u like to be a pepper 2?

MadtownPacker
07-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Doesn't sound too bad now so 4 games sounds about right. Not a good way to start the season though. It's one step closer to the DL playing like the end of last season when lots of injuries popped up.

Fritz
07-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I hope Roger Goodell doesn't feel compelled to demonstrate the size of his cojones by giving Jolly some big suspension - not when Pacman Jones is back in the league!