PDA

View Full Version : basis of tampering charges Favre statements to Campen

AV David
07-17-2008, 02:31 PM
The following was on Packerupdate website.

"James Campen was a rather marginal player for the Packers in the early 90s and he’s been a seldom-heard from assistant coach with the team for the past five years, but that anonymity may be about to change. According to a person familiar with the situation, Campen is at the very heart of the organization’s decision to file tampering charges against the Vikings on Wednesday. “Favre told Campen about his interest in playing for Minnesota - and about his numerous conversations with Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell - when the two friends met in Kiln, Mississippi on June 8,” said the source. “[General manager] Ted Thompson has known about all this for weeks. Once Favre officially requested his unconditional release on July 9, the organization began moving forward with its plan to file tampering charges. And since it’s highly doubtful that what Favre allegedly said to Campen would be enough to prove wrongdoing on the part of the Vikings, I’m guessing that the Packers have more than just that.”

Think about it: Favre threw Campen under the bus before he knew Campen had already thrown Favre under the bus.

Pacopete4
07-17-2008, 02:51 PM
YESSS!!! LET THIS FRANCHISE SUFFER MORE AND MORE!!! THANKS CAMPEN, FAVRE, TT, MM... THANKS ALL!!

my god this situation is the worst handled thing ive ever seen.. worse than spygate IMO

sharpe1027
07-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Think about it: Favre threw Campen under the bus before he knew Campen had already thrown Favre under the bus.

Did Favre do anything wrong? Can he be punished or only the Vikings? If it is only the Vikings, then Favre isn't really isn't thrown under the bus, except that he looks like he told Campen one thing and the fans and media another. *gasp* That sounds like an "untruth."

hoosier
07-17-2008, 03:01 PM
YESSS!!! LET THIS FRANCHISE SUFFER MORE AND MORE!!! THANKS CAMPEN, FAVRE, TT, MM... THANKS ALL!!

my god this situation is the worst handled thing ive ever seen.. worse than spygate IMO

No chance. Favre is coming across as a flake in addition to a spaz. If anything, TT will garner more sympathy for putting up with BF's crap with such good grace. Once training camp starts and Favre doesn't show, I suspect this will all pass under the bridge and disappear from sight.

HowardRoark
07-17-2008, 03:03 PM
The following was on Packerupdate website.

"James Campen was a rather marginal player for the Packers in the early 90s and he’s been a seldom-heard from assistant coach with the team for the past five years, but that anonymity may be about to change. According to a person familiar with the situation, Campen is at the very heart of the organization’s decision to file tampering charges against the Vikings on Wednesday. “Favre told Campen about his interest in playing for Minnesota - and about his numerous conversations with Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell - when the two friends met in Kiln, Mississippi on June 8,” said the source. “[General manager] Ted Thompson has known about all this for weeks. Once Favre officially requested his unconditional release on July 9, the organization began moving forward with its plan to file tampering charges. And since it’s highly doubtful that what Favre allegedly said to Campen would be enough to prove wrongdoing on the part of the Vikings, I’m guessing that the Packers have more than just that.”

Maybe TT is a genius after all. Playing his cards perfectly to get some compensation out of this mess.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Maybe TT is a genius after all. Playing his cards perfectly to get some compensation out of this mess.

Hilarious.

Thompson may get more in return for draft picks via tampering charges than he would in a trade.

Perhaps Thompson and Favre engineered this whole mess back in March to stick it to the Vikings?

:D

Lurker64
07-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Yeah, at this point I both cannot see how Favre could have played this worse or how Thompson could have played this better. Ted's going to come out of this smelling like a rose.

AV David
07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
"Did Favre do anything wrong? Can he be punished or only the Vikings? If it is only the Vikings, then Favre isn't really isn't thrown under the bus, except that he looks like he told Campen one thing and the fans and media another. *gasp* That sounds like an "untruth."

I don't think Favre can be punished by the NFL. I think he did "wrong" as a human being.

The theory is this: the Vikes are recruiting Favre through Bevell. That is the reason Favre decides to come out of retirement. Favre can get a "twofer" 1. He can take a last shot at the Superbowl with a terrific defensive line and a phenomenal rb. 2. He gets to stick it to TT because apparently he has been building up hostility against TT for some time now. The whole unretirement thing is premised upon going for the gusto with the Vikings.

Favre spilled his guts to Campen about being recruited by the Vikes. Later, Favre figures Campen is an OK guy, but expendable as a friend. Favre throws him under the bus by portraying Campen as a turncoat Packer who sided with Favre and spoke to Favre "out of school." At this point Campen is "collateral damage." But so what, Campen is "little people." In reality, Campen is a trojan horse of sorts. He has already ratted Favre out to TT. That effectively destroys the Viking conspiracy. Now Favre probably stays retired because he really only wanted to play for the Vikes.

Great idea Brett. Lousy execution.

The Leaper
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Now Favre probably stays retired because he really only wanted to play for the Vikes.

I doubt that is the case. Favre wanted to play for the Packers, but after he was told that wasn't an option he probably viewed the Vikings as the next best opportunity to go somewhere that needed a QB and had a chance at a title...plus it would give him a chance to get back at Thompson and prove him wrong.

I can't blame Favre for that line of logic...and I can't really blame the Packers for deciding to move on. This is the perfect storm that comes about when a legendary franchise has to part ways with a legendary QB.

boiga
07-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Wow. If they really do have hard proof of all this, then TT is going to get completely cleared of wrongdoing

But Campen... jeez. What a double agent. They should make a movie about him. This certainly explains why McCarthy was so quick to respond to Brett's claim that Campen was sent to Mississippi on the team's behalf.

In any case, I'm willing to bet Campen felt a hell of a lot less guilty over ratting on Brett after that gretta interview came out.

RashanGary
07-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I've been wondering this whole time how media member (usual former athletes) have been able to look in the mirror and say both sides should have done things differently.

Favre retired
Packers moved forward and want to go with Rodgers
Favre goes NUTZ

Somehow the Packers did something wrong?

I don't see it. Other than trying to talk Brett into not tarnishing his legacy (something that should be up to Brett), I don't se how they've been in the wrong on anything and that is a very minor point in all of this anyway.

It's jsut like the Jwalk situation. Everyone insisted TT did something wrong. No, when a player goes nutz, everyone ends up hurting whether they did everythign right, everythign wrong or somethign in the middle.

AV David
07-17-2008, 03:34 PM
"I can't blame Favre for that line of logic...and I can't really blame the Packers for deciding to move on."

Favre used Campen to support his PR campaign. When he did it, he had to figure it could have some pretty negative employment consequences for Campen. By the way, Campen is working check to check for the Packers. He never made a ton of money in the NFL. He needs the job and was supposedly Favre's friend.

Do you think Favre's willingness to betray a "friend" exposes a negative side to his character?

I do.

Partial
07-17-2008, 03:39 PM
I've been wondering this whole time how media member (usual former athletes) have been able to look in the mirror and say both sides should have done things differently.

Favre retired
Packers moved forward and want to go with Rodgers
Favre goes NUTZ

Somehow the Packers did something wrong?

I don't see it. Other than trying to talk Brett into not tarnishing his legacy (something that should be up to Brett), I don't se how they've been in the wrong on anything and that is a very minor point in all of this anyway.

It's jsut like the Jwalk situation. Everyone insisted TT did something wrong. No, when a player goes nutz, everyone ends up hurting whether they did everythign wright, everythign wrong or somethign in the middle.

ummm, moved forward exactly how? They haven't started camp yet...

It's all rumor to this point.

sharpe1027
07-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Wow. If they really do have hard proof of all this, then TT is going to get completely cleared of wrongdoing

But Campen... jeez. What a double agent. They should make a movie about him. This certainly explains why McCarthy was so quick to respond to Brett's claim that Campen was sent to Mississippi on the team's behalf.

In any case, I'm willing to bet Campen felt a hell of a lot less guilty over ratting on Brett after that gretta interview came out.

Campen is a double agent? I don't know, he works for the Packers. He became aware of actions by another team that hurt the Packers through Favre. He reported the actions to his superiors. Favre was retired and was (reportedly) being recruited by the Vikings, the Vikings were in the wrong not Favre. Of course Favre's recent actions look worse in light of this information, but Campen reported it weeks ago according to the article.

KYPack
07-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah, this whole thing will blow over.

TT will send Campen down there again and those two will smooth the whole thing out.

NOT!

PackerTimer
07-17-2008, 03:55 PM
I doubt that is the case. Favre wanted to play for the Packers, but after he was told that wasn't an option he probably viewed the Vikings as the next best opportunity to go somewhere that needed a QB and had a chance at a title...plus it would give him a chance to get back at Thompson and prove him wrong.

I can't blame Favre for that line of logic...and I can't really blame the Packers for deciding to move on. This is the perfect storm that comes about when a legendary franchise has to part ways with a legendary QB

Didn't Favre himself say that he was told playing for the Packers wasn't an option on June 20th in a coversation with MM? This all happened on June 8th.

HowardRoark
07-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Campen is a double agent? I don't know, he works for the Packers. He became aware of actions by another team that hurt the Packers through Favre. He reported the actions to his superiors. Favre was retired and was (reportedly) being recruited by the Vikings, the Vikings were in the wrong not Favre. Of course Favre's recent actions look worse in light of this information, but Campen reported it weeks ago according to the article.

I think he is just an agent. He would be a double agent if Favre thought he was working as an agent for him. I think.

But it IS rude of him to involve Deanna.

http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/movies/slideshow/monkey_men/img_1.jpg

boiga
07-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Campen is a double agent? I don't know, he works for the Packers. He became aware of actions by another team that hurt the Packers through Favre. He reported the actions to his superiors. Favre was retired and was (reportedly) being recruited by the Vikings, the Vikings were in the wrong not Favre. Of course Favre's recent actions look worse in light of this information, but Campen reported it weeks ago according to the article. But according to Brett, Campen also told him that he could force the Packers hand by demanding to come back. That went against the best interest of the organization, but is certainly something you would tell a friend.

And Favre must have been friendly enough with the guy if he told him about meeting with the vikings. That's not something he'd want TT to know about... for obvious reasons.

So it seems Campen was trying to play both sides to come to a resolution. Instead, he screwed over both sides by giving inside information to both parties.

He's a double agent.

sharpe1027
07-17-2008, 04:13 PM
But according to Brett, Campen also told him that he could force the Packers hand by demanding to come back. That went against the best interest of the organization, but is certainly something you would tell a friend.

And Favre must have been friendly enough with the guy if he told him about meeting with the vikings. That's not something he'd want TT to know about... for obvious reasons.

So it seems Campen was trying to play both sides to come to a resolution. Instead, he screwed over both sides by giving inside information to both parties.

He's a double agent.

Good points, but I think that Campen was asked by the Packers to go talk to Favre "as a friend" and not as an official visit. Also, what Campen told Favre was just his opinion of what the Packers would do if Favre forced their hand. While it is not flattering to MM and TT, I don't know how that is inside information or against the best wishes of the organization.

boiga
07-17-2008, 04:59 PM
PFT is reporting on a new aspect of this allegation already: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/17/packers-think-they-have-the-goods-on-the-vikes/

Rumors are that Brett's communication with Bevell occurred using a cell phone paid for by the packers. So, they already have the entire call list.

Communication with Bevell spiked before the release statement and they even have a call between Childress' office and Favre.

That's pretty damning if corroborated.

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Rumors are that Brett's communication with Bevell occurred using a cell phone paid for by the packers. So, they already have the entire call list.

D'oh... :oops:

digitaldean
07-17-2008, 05:31 PM
If this is true, that's a big...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nZUk9NgZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

On a side note...
Brett needs to have the Packers pay for a cell phone for him? I suppose they can then get a hold of him easier (?)

Boy does this situation have the Keystone Kops written all over it.

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Actually after reading the whole article it sounds more like Florio is taking a guess that this may have happened because he's not sure how else the Packers would have the phone records. I don't know either, but the cell phone theory seems a bit far-fetched. Maybe Campen was wearing a wire when he talked to Favre. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Which raises an interesting question as to how far the NFL can go to gather evidence in a case such as this? Can they actually get phone records and search computers?

sharpe1027
07-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Actually after reading the whole article it sounds more like Florio is taking a guess that this may have happened because he's not sure how else the Packers would have the phone records. I don't know either, but the cell phone theory seems a bit far-fetched. Maybe Campen was wearing a wire when he talked to Favre. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Which raises an interesting question as to how far the NFL can go to gather evidence in a case such as this? Can they actually get phone records and search computers?

They probably could get that information with consent. If the Vikings refuse to cooperate, the Commissioner could just assume the records show their guilt.

Deputy Nutz
07-17-2008, 06:00 PM
The NFL is basically issuing a search warrant on the Minnesota Vikings. League officals will go into the Vikings complex and basically take or go into all of their computers, phone records made or received on the Vikings premesis. So if Bevell made contact with Favre, basically any contact regardless on how close of friends they are, the Vikings will have to do some answering. I don't know if this is against league rules or policy, but I know the league looks down on Coaches or front office officials contacting and communicating with players under contract from another team, and given the circumstances surrounding Brett Favre at the moment it sure doesn't look good for the Vikings. At the very least, and at this point the most probably the Vikings will get a slap on the wrist.

This also goes with my theory on how close Brett Favre and Darrell Bevell actually are. When Bevell was in Green Bay nothing was really made of their close bond which is now being reported. Everyone knew how close Mooch and Favre were, but I never really heard how much Bevell meant to Favre in regards to football or outside of it on a personal level.

The Shadow
07-17-2008, 06:00 PM

Yeah, at this point I both cannot see how Favre could have played this worse or how Thompson could have played this better. Ted's going to come out of this smelling like a rose.

It certainly appears that way!

CaptainKickass
07-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Maybe Campen was wearing a wire when he talked to Favre. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Shazam!

I've posted two r three times in other threads early on that Campen was using his "handy pocket tape recorder "when he visited Favre.

I should be a frickin journalist.

:)

packinpatland
07-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Maybe Campen was wearing a wire when he talked to Favre. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Shazam!

I've posted two r three times in other threads early on that Campen was using his "handy pocket tape recorder "when he visited Favre.

You sure Bill Belichik wasn't involved in some way? :lol:

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 06:39 PM

You could certainly get away with playing one on the internet.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-17-2008, 07:07 PM
By the way, Campen is working check to check for the Packers. He never made a ton of money in the NFL. He needs the job and was supposedly Favre's friend.

Where do you get this kinda stuff? First, Campen played 6 seasons in the NFL. Since he was acquired as a free agent..i'm sure he wasn't making the minimum. Even minimum NFL wage is pretty darn good money...and if he was smart..and we have to think so based on his career at Tulane..he socked some money away or bought a reasonable house.

He has been employed since he retired, and if he was really hurting i highly doubt he woulda been "just" a d coordinator at his alma mater.

the guy is no millionaire...but, neither is most of america.

HarveyWallbangers
07-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Where do you get this kinda stuff? First, Campen played 6 seasons in the NFL. Since he was acquired as a free agent..i'm sure he wasn't making the minimum.

I agree he's not living check to check, but maybe you should check your records before ripping somebody. There wasn't UFA back then. He was what was called a Plan B free agent. Those guys generally made little more than the league minimum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_B_Free_Agency

Plan B free agency was a type of free agency that became active in the National Football League in February 1989. Plan B free agency permitted all teams in the NFL to preserve limited rights of no more than 37 total players a season. If a player was a protected Plan B free agent, he was incapable of signing with another team without providing his old team the first opportunity to sign him again. The rest of the players were left unprotected, liberated to negotiate contracts with the rest of the teams in the league.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Where do you get this kinda stuff? First, Campen played 6 seasons in the NFL. Since he was acquired as a free agent..i'm sure he wasn't making the minimum.

I agree he's not living check to check, but maybe you should check your records before ripping somebody. There wasn't UFA back then. He was what was called a Plan B free agent. Those guys generally made little more than the league minimum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_B_Free_Agency

Plan B free agency was a type of free agency that became active in the National Football League in February 1989. Plan B free agency permitted all teams in the NFL to preserve limited rights of no more than 37 total players a season. If a player was a protected Plan B free agent, he was incapable of signing with another team without providing his old team the first opportunity to sign him again. The rest of the players were left unprotected, liberated to negotiate contracts with the rest of the teams in the league.

I knew he was a Plan B...hence my statement that he was making more than the minimum...you didn't see me touting a huge salary. And, then the next sentence..even if he was making the minimum.

But, you don't know if he was making more than little more than..etc. You cover yourself with generally...but, the packers sucked back then..and he was a promising young offensive lineman.

HarveyWallbangers
07-17-2008, 07:28 PM
He wasn't one of the top 37 players on his team. I wouldn't be surprised if he did in fact make the minimum. If he didn't it wasn't much more than the minimum (like thousands more). You pointed out he was a FA. Those that didn't know any better (like yourself) might assume that means he made decent money. Him being a Plan B free agent wasn't much more than being a street FA nowadays. Why don't you look up how much more than the minimum he made.

I know you are used to being wrong--despite the high opinion that you have about your own intellect.

It's cool correcting somebody, but you don't have to be a horse's ass while donig it.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-17-2008, 07:54 PM
He wasn't one of the top 37 players on his team. I wouldn't be surprised if he did in fact make the minimum. If he didn't it wasn't much more than the minimum (like thousands more). You pointed out he was a FA. Those that didn't know any better (like yourself) might assume that means he made decent money. Him being a Plan B free agent wasn't much more than being a street FA nowadays. Why don't you look up how much more than the minimum he made.

I know you are used to being wrong--despite the high opinion that you have about your own intellect.

It's cool correcting somebody, but you don't have to be a horse's ass while donig it.

I completely knew he was a plan b...still is a FREE AGENT.

And because he wan't among the top 37...who cares. That essentially means that he wasn't a starter or among the top 1/2 of the team's backups. You think that a team might value backup QBs, RB, WRs, etc? :roll:

Hmm, plan b guys included smerlas, kinard, mowatt, Novacek, etc.

I can argue the exact opposite. Shitty packer team that paid for a young offensive lineman. A packer team that got a guy to play 15 games that year, and started the next. Hmm, maybe they saw a potential starter and paid more..or paid more because they were trying to lure him to a crappy team. Packers were signing Plan B guys like crazy back then.

For example, the broncos paid a 100k bonus to backup gmen NT..robb "fucking who?" white.

I would look it up..if i knew where. Until you post the figures..you are no more right than I.

Horse's ass: you mean like what you are doing here?

HowardRoark
07-17-2008, 08:34 PM

Oh my gawd, like, I completely knew it too! (twirling hair) I soo totally thought that he was like still like a FREE AGENT.....I soo felt embarrassed for him.

nu-uh Harvey, you cant be like, serious?

RashanGary
07-17-2008, 08:41 PM
ummm, moved forward exactly how? They haven't started camp yet...

It's all rumor to this point.

The Packers moved forward because they decided to go with Rodgers instead of Favre. That was an organization decision. It probably was partly because of the waffling but I'd say a bigger part was just because they are ready.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-17-2008, 08:48 PM

Oh my gawd, like, I completely knew it too! (twirling hair) I soo totally thought that he was like still like a FREE AGENT.....I soo felt embarrassed for him.

nu-uh Harvey, you cant be like, serious?

People wondered why Drew Carey had to shut down the conservative comedians association.

Roark's post solves that puzzle.

AV David
07-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Tyrone:

The reference to "living check to check" was a hyperbolic argument. I was using hyperbole to make a point.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Tyrone:

The reference to "living check to check" was a hyperbolic argument. I was using hyperbole to make a point.

Ok. My mistake had to be the dumbest one in the history of this forum.