PDA

View Full Version : Sign of the Apocalypse?

KYPack
07-17-2008, 06:22 PM
This whole deal has me pissed, confused, angry, and generally upside down.

I was watching some boxing last nite on ESPN. The crawl below has categories with the scores and news on the topic.

I almost shit my pants when the categories came up.

It was MLB AL NL Favre NFL.

Sure enough, after the ball scores, there came Favre news, then news on the NFL!

This shit has gotten so far out of control that the Favre controversy is it's own world to be reported on!

This is exactly what we didn't want to happen.

Help us, Vince Lombardi, help us!!!

CaliforniaCheez
07-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Favre is quite popular.

DonHutson
07-17-2008, 06:43 PM
If that's not a sign of the apocalypse, then this might be:

NEWT GINGRICH WEIGHS IN ON BRETT FAVRE
Posted by Josh Alper on July 16, 2008, 6:03 p.m.
It seems that the Brett Favre-Packers dance won’t come to a close until we’ve heard the opinion of everyone in America.

Not just from the football world, either. Deadspin discovered that Newt Gingrich, a Packers shareholder, has taken to the internet to throw his support behind a renewed Contract With Green Bay for the irresolute quarterback.

“Should Favre have taken some time (like he did the past few years) to rest, recover and reclaim some perspective? Yes. Did he make a bad decision to retire? Also Yes. Should Ted Thompson and the Packers welcome him back to Packers family? Absolutely!!”

mraynrand
07-17-2008, 06:55 PM
You'll know it's really out of control when Osama comments on the Favre situation from his cave.

Freak Out
07-17-2008, 07:11 PM
You'll know it's really out of control when Osama comments on the Favre situation from his cave.

I was reading on Arabic Al Jazeera that Bin Laden thought TT was all wrong and Favre was a holy warrior and was really needed in the fight against the Crusader Bear, Queen and Lion franchises.

MJZiggy
07-17-2008, 07:18 PM
At this point, I'd be tempted to believe that...

KYPack
07-17-2008, 07:43 PM

I was reading on Arabic Al Jazeera that Bin Laden thought TT was all wrong and Favre was a holy warrior and was really needed in the fight against the Crusader Bear, Queen and Lion franchises.

Two weeks ago, Zool, I'd call you a goofy bastard.

Now, I'm inclined to go, really?

CaliforniaCheez
07-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Some people thought the continued media attention to the Favre Locker story was weird and drawn out.

I'm not all spun up because there are 3 basic outcomes.

Brett goes away mad and the long term legacy his damaged further.

Brett goes away.

Brett plays.

Unless something bizarre happens.

Knock on wood, Aaron Rodgers is injured in a preseason game.

The Packers place the call and Brett takes a week to decide to come back. He does a couple of interviews regarding his decision.

The ESPN "crawl" will be back.

sheepshead
07-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Brett will start for us September 8. This is no other choice here.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Should Ted Thompson and the Packers welcome him back to Packers family? Absolutely!!”

He has been invited back, the issue is whether his starting job is guaranteed.

Maybe Favre could come back with the attitude that he will do what he can to help the team win, and that the coach has the say over who starts.

Even if Rodgers opens camp as the starter, the chances of the team turning to Favre at some point are very high.

texaspackerbacker
07-17-2008, 09:24 PM
They should do exactly as they have done: Allow him to come back with the presumption that Rodgers is the starter, knowing there is a strong likelihood he will say no to that; Then play hardball regarding a release or a trade for anything less than way too much from a team we don't mind having him; Then, when none of that comes to pass, place him on some kind of inactive status and do whatever PR damage control needs to be done and can be done.

LEWCWA
07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
No they should have told him they need a 2 year commitment, because they were going to trade Rodgers...Brett commits to 2 more years and they get what they can for the BACKUP!

Now Favre should just show up, win the job that is his, and go out with 2 Lombardi trophies!

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 09:54 PM
No they should have told him they need a 2 year commitment, because they were going to trade Rodgers

Maybe they should have done this. This could work out.

Thompson & McCarthy looked at lots of factor and decided to go with a different approach. They privately told Favre of their decision. And then the shit hit the fan.

POLISHHAWK
07-17-2008, 09:58 PM

Osama OBama or Osama Bin Ladin? oh well; not much difference. :D

Zool
07-17-2008, 09:59 PM

Huh? I'm not smart enough, and he's not a big enough asshole for us to be the same person. We do both have red-ish avatars i spose?

KYPack
07-17-2008, 11:37 PM
They should do exactly as they have done: Allow him to come back with the presumption that Rodgers is the starter, knowing there is a strong likelihood he will say no to that; Then play hardball regarding a release or a trade for anything less than way too much from a team we don't mind having him; Then, when none of that comes to pass, place him on some kind of inactive status and do whatever PR damage control needs to be done and can be done.

Tex, I know you support the Pack come hell or high water, but this shit you posted don't make a ton of sense. There is no logical path out of this one. We are in uncharted waters, and bitching at the "naysayers" won't cover all situations in this case.

Lurker64
07-17-2008, 11:50 PM
If Favre does try to force the Packers hand by coming back they should place him in the PUP list with some sort of brain issue, since no man of sound mind would have behaved this way over the last few weeks.

Tarlam!
07-18-2008, 02:55 AM

Now, that was BOMNF, KY! That's going into my sig!

twoseven
07-18-2008, 05:58 AM
This whole deal has me pissed, confused, angry, and generally upside down.

I was watching some boxing last nite on ESPN. The crawl below has categories with the scores and news on the topic.

I almost shit my pants when the categories came up.

It was MLB AL NL Favre NFL.

Sure enough, after the ball scores, there came Favre news, then news on the NFL!

This shit has gotten so far out of control that the Favre controversy is it's own world to be reported on!

This is exactly what we didn't want to happen.

Help us, Vince Lombardi, help us!!!
This has actually happened with other individual stories, Favre is not unique in that right. Everytime there has been a player that has had days of attention in the press ESPN will add their own personal moniker to the ticker. It's happened most recently in the last few months with BONDS, CLEMENS, SANTANA rolling along the bottom of the screen. This is crazy with Brett, but he has not single-nandedly altered ESPN's news ticker..well not yet..I hear rumors of ESPN 4 being in the works..BF all day, all night..hosted by John Madden.

KYPack
07-18-2008, 07:56 AM

Now, that was BOMNF, KY! That's going into my sig!

Don't do it, Tar.

I tangled up two of our resident wild boys, Freak and Zool.

I'll violate my own "never apologize" rule and say "sorry boys"!