PDA

View Full Version : Strange part of the unedited Favre transcript

digitaldean
07-17-2008, 08:56 PM
I saw this on the local sports on WBAY tonight and thought I was seeing things, but it was repeated on their website.
http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=8694542
______
But his ongoing feud with the Packers is no laughing matter, and Thursday the Fox News Channel posted Brett Favre's entire, unedited interview with Greta Van Susteren on its web site.

In parts that did not air the past three nights, Favre made it clear he doesn't want to return to Green Bay regardless of whether the team changes its mind to let him return.

"I didn't want to go back there after that. It really, already, after what Mike had told me, when he said, 'Hey Brett, sorry, we moved on,' that was OK, that was OK. And I told Mike, in that June 20th conversation, 'I didn't ask you to wait for me. I knew when I retired that there's a chance you guys move on and if I get to play again it wouldn't be in Green Bay. I won't hold it against you.'

I went to Fox News' page that had the text of the interview, but it had a disclaimer that it was a rush transcript and may not be in it's final form.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,384601,00.html

I'd have to think if what this says is true, that notes a bit of finality to all this. Obviously the team has planned for the future and that means no Brett. That part just kind of threw me a little bit.

Thoughts?

Lurker64
07-17-2008, 09:03 PM
It's a shame that they didn't air that. I'm pretty sure Packer Fans would be less divided if they realized that Favre simply doesn't want to play here anymore. With any luck this will come to light and the man will stay retired.

packinpatland
07-17-2008, 09:06 PM
:bs2:

digitaldean
07-17-2008, 09:07 PM
:bs2:

Not believing this???

texaspackerbacker
07-17-2008, 09:12 PM
That doesn't exactly strike me as strange. It should be obvious by now to any fan that the Packers have moved on. It also shouldn't be surprising that under those circumstances, Favre would see the handwriting on the wall.

What isn't being said specifically by Favre is that he really wants to play for somebody else. Surely he must know that he can't force the Packers to release or trade him. All he can force them to do is pay his salary.

It sounds like he doesn't value his "legacy"--bowing out gracefully--as much as he values the salary--because unless Thompson and McCarthy budge from what they have said so far--and there's really no reason other than the $12 million to do so, those are his only two choices--stay retired or get reinstatement and collect his money for being inactive.

Brando19
07-17-2008, 09:19 PM
If this is true, Brett needs to stay his ass retired. Crazy old man.

cheesner
07-17-2008, 09:28 PM
This is making less and less sense.

Why is he complaining given the comments here? He sounds like he is accepting of the situation. So why is he making such a big case over it?

He must really be angling to play somewhere else, all along. I suspect the whole Minny thing is very real, they need a QB, he was in contact, he knew GB wouldn't trade him there, only way he would get there is if the Pack cuts him.

packinpatland
07-17-2008, 09:38 PM
[quote=packinpatland]:bs2:

No, I'm not. It's just getting too bizarre.

RashanGary
07-17-2008, 09:46 PM

Why is he complaining given the comments here? He sounds like he is accepting of the situation. So why is he making such a big case over it?

He must really be angling to play somewhere else, all along. I suspect the whole Minny thing is very real, they need a QB, he was in contact, he knew GB wouldn't trade him there, only way he would get there is if the Pack cuts him.

Um. . . Yeah :) :)

I think it's been pretty clear that he's pissed off beyond belief. When they said they moved forward and rejected his comeback, I think he got incredibly angry. I think he pictures himself as untouchable so for this to happen to him, I think it was a very rude awakening. Rather than undertsanding it, I think he's getting very mad and wanting to seek revenge. I woudln't be suprised if he contacted Bevel not the other way around.

RashanGary
07-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I've gone back and listened to all three of the FAvre videos again. It's wierd, but some of the stuff that was on TV isn't even in there any more. There was the part where Favre says he wouldn't play as a backup. Well, he just said "why" but it wasn't there. Then there are other convenient missing pieces. I'm going to go back and read the transcript becasue it seems to me Vanwhatever is covering up for Brett.

bobblehead
07-17-2008, 11:02 PM

DING DING DING...give the man his prize shirly.

If he really simply wanted to play he would have had bus go to the pack and say "hey, can I seek a trade for brett". They would have said yes. That is what I predicted would happen last week, and the only reason I am wrong is that brett wants to play with minnesota and no one else. He wants to punk TT and prove that brett is the man. He can't do that in baltimore.

I personally think if BF wants to second guess TT on personell matters he should go apply as GM somewhere and show TT how to build a team. I obviously underestimated his bitterness towards TT and MM for making him actually study defenses and show up for offseason mini's and actually work all thru training camp. The more I see and hear the more I am disliking brett the person, and I never wanted that to happen.

RashanGary
07-17-2008, 11:25 PM
The Packers absolutely can't let him get to Minnesota. They are a great team with the worst QB in the league. Favre would definitly stand a chance ot beat us.

If Brett really wants to prove how good he is, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Chicago or Detroit. I'd be more than happy to face him on those teams.

bobblehead
07-18-2008, 01:33 AM
The Packers absolutely can't let him get to Minnesota. They are a great team with the worst QB in the league. Favre would definitly stand a chance ot beat us.

If Brett really wants to prove how good he is, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Chicago or Detroit. I'd be more than happy to face him on those teams.

Flip side, with a running game and tough D I can see brett trying force things with a mere 7 point lead...it is his style to throw huge picks in that situation.

BallHawk
07-18-2008, 05:28 AM
And I told Mike, in that June 20th conversation, 'I didn't ask you to wait for me. I knew when I retired that there's a chance you guys move on and if I get to play again it wouldn't be in Green Bay. I won't hold it against you.'[/i]

He knew that when he retired there was a "CHANCE" they'd move on???
:shock:

Is he out of his mind? There was a chance? And what was the alternative then? We'd sit in a goddamn prayer circle, hold hands, and pray Favre would come back.

There was a chance. Damnit, he's just completely delusional.

twoseven
07-18-2008, 05:55 AM
And I told Mike, in that June 20th conversation, 'I didn't ask you to wait for me. I knew when I retired that there's a chance you guys move on and if I get to play again it wouldn't be in Green Bay. I won't hold it against you.'[/i]

Is he out of his mind? There was a chance? And what was the alternative then? We'd sit in a goddamn prayer circle, hold hands, and pray Favre would come back.

There was a chance. Damnit, he's just completely delusional.Absolutely. I was thinking the same as you when I saw that head scracther.. WTF, he retires and the team has no choice but move on BECAUSE HE RETIRED and Brett actually wondered if they would? Hey, somebody pass me the crazy pills.

cheesner
07-18-2008, 09:47 AM

There was a chance. Damnit, he's just completely delusional.Absolutely. I was thinking the same as you when I saw that head scracther.. WTF, he retires and the team has no choice but move on BECAUSE HE RETIRED and Brett actually wondered if they would? Hey, somebody pass me the crazy pills.
I think he meant move on in a sense of the door was closed when he walked out of it.

cheesner
07-18-2008, 09:49 AM

I actually wouldn't mind. Hell, we know Brett will then make the jersey retiring ceremony on that first night.

But just remember, this is the Vikings we are talking about here. And the Vikings will be the Vikings and choke come the playoffs. If we can get a #1 for Brett, I say we do it.

Fritz
07-18-2008, 10:18 AM
That doesn't exactly strike me as strange. It should be obvious by now to any fan that the Packers have moved on. It also shouldn't be surprising that under those circumstances, Favre would see the handwriting on the wall.

What isn't being said specifically by Favre is that he really wants to play for somebody else. Surely he must know that he can't force the Packers to release or trade him. All he can force them to do is pay his salary.

It sounds like he doesn't value his "legacy"--bowing out gracefully--as much as he values the salary--because unless Thompson and McCarthy budge from what they have said so far--and there's really no reason other than the $12 million to do so, those are his only two choices--stay retired or get reinstatement and collect his money for being inactive.

Tex, I don't often agree with you, but I definitely agree with the part I've put into boldface type. I think Favre has put himself in a difficult situation because he's such an emotional guy - he's said for a while that Green Bay is the only place he'd ever want to play, and so on and so on. And when he said all that he believed it - it wasn't smooth PR. It was Brett being Brett. But now, he's changed his mind, and I think given the fervor of his previous comments about being a Packer forever, he's having a hard time admitting that he feels differently...so he'd like to believe (and I think he does believe) that the Packers forced him out. That way he can pretend to be consistent about wanting only to be a Packer. The expectations he seems to have - that the Packers would welcome him back and not have moved on after he moved on by retiring - is a bit breathtaking.

swede
07-18-2008, 12:19 PM

Tex, I don't often agree with you, but I definitely agree with the part I've put into boldface type. I think Favre has put himself in a difficult situation because he's such an emotional guy - he's said for a while that Green Bay is the only place he'd ever want to play, and so on and so on. And when he said all that he believed it - it wasn't smooth PR. It was Brett being Brett. But now, he's changed his mind, and I think given the fervor of his previous comments about being a Packer forever, he's having a hard time admitting that he feels differently...so he'd like to believe (and I think he does believe) that the Packers forced him out. That way he can pretend to be consistent about wanting only to be a Packer. The expectations he seems to have - that the Packers would welcome him back and not have moved on after he moved on by retiring - is a bit breathtaking.

Yes and yes.

To this I would add, after having been disrespected by the Pack and after having made up his mind to play again, he decided that Minnesota is the team that has done the things he's always wanted the Packers to do--mortgage the future with the acquisition of a big fish player--and is the one team in his mind that would immediately become a SB contender with the addition of a really good veteran quarterback.

The only explanation for requesting a release rather than a trade is that Favre would have at least a 10% chance of winning the PR battle and getting the full release that was the only way for him to end up in Minny.

Favre must have blabbed something to somebody in Green Bay--probably Campen--about Minnesota. The move by TT to slap a tampering complaint against the Vikes was quite good. The polar weasel strikes again.

The only shitty thing Favre can do to Green Bay now is show up to training camp and be a prick in person.

i don't think he can do that because, when you get right down to it, Favre's too good of a guy to pull that stunt.

Carolina_Packer
07-18-2008, 12:35 PM

I don't think it's the moving on part that's upsetting to him, I think it's the we'll have you back, but in a different role stance. Favre wants to start somewhere or have a chance to start in GB. He's at the end of career and would not want to go out without a chance to play again and start. He doesn't want to be boxed in by the Packers position with him. That is what is getting under his skin in all of this. I think he has a point, even though the team is within it's rights to bring him back to the roster as a backup (once he files for reinstatement). They should be looking at how this will appear to the public, even if they are within their rights to do this with Brett. There are legacy issues for both to be considered.

mraynrand
07-18-2008, 12:49 PM

The implications of this are that Favre is talking with Bus Cook and Bus is giving him a scenario on how he can get Green Bay to release him so that he can go to Minnesota. It would have to be a nasty little plan to specifically and unforgivably burn bridges, and continually embarrass and stain the organization so that the team would see it in their best interests to actually release him, rather than keep him and not trade him (forcing Favre either to return to the team and compete for the starting spot and/or accept the backup role). This scenario requires that we believe that Favre is a total skunk, willing to piss off all of Packer fans over essentially what is a power struggle with the GM. Is Favre just bitter over how he perceives TT didn't listen to him, or is Favre a calculating Machiavellian misanthrope?

Freak Out
07-18-2008, 12:50 PM
I've gone back and listened to all three of the FAvre videos again. It's wierd, but some of the stuff that was on TV isn't even in there any more. There was the part where Favre says he wouldn't play as a backup. Well, he just said "why" but it wasn't there. Then there are other convenient missing pieces. I'm going to go back and read the transcript becasue it seems to me Vanwhatever is covering up for Brett.

Sure thing Borat...better call in Fox Mulder to help on this one.

Pugger
07-18-2008, 01:07 PM
This is my theory:

MM and TT moved on because they wanted a QB that was 100% committed. Brett couldn't guarantee this. Brett doesn't want to be traded in fear TT would ship him off to some bottomfeeder team. Brett got pissed when he was told Rodgers was the starter now but Brett could return and compete for the starter's job. Evidently this is beneath him. Brett wanted to be released and TT said no. Brett blew a gasket and went on TV to stick it to TT and to see if he could make life so miserable that TT would capitulate and give Brett his release so he could go to MN. No GM in his right mind would just cut a player of Brett's value without compenation and it would be stupid to trade him to someone in the NFC. And after going on TV and calling your boss a liar I doubt he'd be welcomed back to GB with open arms. I have a feeling come training camp Brett will be back in Mississipi still retired and we can go on with the season.

Fritz
07-19-2008, 08:13 AM
IF Favre really does want to come back - he hasn't applied for the necessary reinstatement yet, despite all the noise - I hope the team and Favre could work out a list of "acceptable" teams to both, then swing a trade.

It'd be a short list, though. Washington, maybe, if they don't completely love that young guy Campbell? Tampa Bay, if TT is willing to ship Favre to an NFC team that's in the hunt? Carolina, with same proviso? And who in the AFC would be a contender without a good QB?

MJZiggy
07-19-2008, 08:25 AM
I dunno, Washington kinda liked Campbell last year, but it's hard to tell with a new coach...