PDA

View Full Version : Wilde beast

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Wilde: A different path would better serve Favre
By JASON WILDE

GREEN BAY — Now that Brett Favre's three-part softball-a-thon with Greta Van Susteren is finally over, how do you feel about the Green Bay Packers retired-for-now quarterback?

From Favre's liar-liar, pants-on-fire rip job of general manager Ted Thompson; to the Packers' tampering allegations against their rivals, the "Minneapolis" Vikings (thanks, Greta!); to Favre showing up at the ESPY awards in an out-of-character black suit instead of Wranglers and flip-flops — the story has taken a few strange and ugly turns, and it's hard to imagine how the two sides will ever get over it, regardless of where Favre ends up in 2008.

It's incredible just how divided Packer Nation has become.

Based on an overflowing e-mail inbox and unscientific sports talk radio sampling, there are three clear groups: Favre lovers who still think their favorite quarterback can do no wrong, reasonable people who effectively argue that Favre still gives the Packers the best chance to win this season, and Favre-fatigued Packers fans who've maxed out on his annual hemming and hawing about playing.

We're not here to judge, although after all that's happened, that first group — some of whom could absolve Favre of blame for all 316 interceptions he's thrown (including playoffs) in his career — might have a slight credibility problem.

But here are couple of thoughts to chew on:

At any point during his chat with Van Susteren, did you hear Favre say anything remotely about the team and its potential?

No. It was all about him.

He said in passing that he liked his teammates and had fun with them, but he should've said, "I want to come back because I know we can win it all this year. We were 13-3 last year, made it to the NFC Championship Game with the youngest team in the league, and we'd have been in the Super Bowl if not for my overtime interception against the Giants. We've got a great team, and I want to be a part of it."

Second, it's too late now, but public opinion would be completely on his side had he come out and said, "I love playing in Green Bay, I love that franchise, I love the fans, and I don't want to go anywhere else. If the Packers only want me back as a backup, then that's what I'll do. I'll be the backup, I'll be third-string, heck, I'll play tight end if they want me to.

"Sure, I want to play — every backup does — but what we have in Green Bay is special. We've got a great team, and I want to be a part of it, no matter what my role. I'll support Aaron Rodgers, give him any advice I can, and I'll prepare so I'm ready if needed."

Had he just said this — rather than trashing Thompson and throwing both Rodgers and Favre's pal, offensive line coach James Campen, under the bus — he would've been a sympathetic figure who was, despite incredibly unfair treatment, doing the right thing because he's that great of a guy.

It's hard to figure out whether anyone in Mississippi is giving Favre any public-relations advice.

From here, it sure looks like he's surrounded by a bunch of enablers who keep telling him how great he is and how unjust and disrespectful the Packers' treatment of him has been — rather than warning him that he might be eroding some of his fan base with his words and actions.

As for Thompson, while Favre's beef that Thompson wasn't forthcoming with him about his decisions — not signing Randy Moss, not re-signing guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, not interviewing Steve Mariucci for the head-coaching job — might be valid, let's not forget that Rivera's body broke down as soon as he got to Dallas, Wahle had one good year in Carolina and is now in Seattle, and no one, including New England, knew Moss was going to have the monster year he had last year.

And his complaint about hiring Mike McCarthy without interviewing Mariucci, Favre's buddy and ex-quarterbacks coach?

Explain this: Favre throws 29 interceptions in a 4-12 season in 2005 because his head coach, Mike Sherman, didn't crack down on him for his decision-making and risk-taking.

And then Favre wants his best friend in the coaching world to get an interview? So he can keep doing what he wants?

Where's the credit McCarthy deserves for reining Favre in and helping him produce the renaissance season he had last year?

Sure, Favre's point probably was that he felt Thompson hadn't been fully truthful with him about not wanting to hire Mariucci, but is it really Favre's right to expect the GM to interview a candidate of his choosing?

The tampering charges Wednesday were simply the capper.

The Vikings released a statement Thursday, saying, "We are not commenting on the issue. These types of matters are handled by the league."

But the guess here is that the Packers' accusations against the Vikings are less about sticking it to their rivals and more about sending the following message to Favre and Cook: We've told you we're not releasing you, we know you want to play in Minnesota, and hell will freeze over before we let that happen.

And that, as opposed to a softball, is a fastball high and tight.

Joemailman
07-17-2008, 10:48 PM
I don't think his suggestion that Favre should be willing to back up Rodgers is a realistic one. Rodgers would get a sore neck from looking over his shoulder. However, I largely agree with the article. Favre has a mostly sympathetic audience when he says he wants to play football. He does not when he tries to play GM. And he probably didn't endear himself to a lot of GM's around the league by ripping Ted Thompson, especially since the Packers just went 13-3.

RashanGary
07-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Great article. The good sense is finally starting to come out in all of this.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't think his suggestion that Favre should be willing to back up Rodgers is a realistic one. Rodgers would get a sore neck from looking over his shoulder.

Maybe. It's unpredictable, something that McCarthy has to work out. What if Rodgers stands up to the pressure and plays well? Or maybe it becomes obvious in training camp that Favre is playing far better.

You can't say what will happen.

Joemailman
07-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Well, everything will be fine as long as they're winning virtually every game. But if they lose a couple in a row with Favre on the bench, you know what the storyline will be.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, everything will be fine as long as they're winning virtually every game. But if they lose a couple in a row with Favre on the bench, you know what the storyline will be.

if Rodgers is struggling, what's to not like about having Favre on the bench?

Joemailman
07-17-2008, 11:21 PM
I think having Favre sitting there on the bench greatly increases the chances that Rodgers would succumb to the pressure of replacing Favre. If you're going to have Favre on the team, you might as well start him.

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I think having Favre sitting there on the bench greatly increases the chances that Rodgers would succumb to the pressure of replacing Favre. If you're going to have Favre on the team, you might as well start him.

maybe so. that is something for McCarthy, Favre and Rodgers to work out. I wouldn't say anything for sure.

MadtownPacker
07-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Put a link to the article you idiot.

oregonpackfan
07-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Put a link to the article you idiot.

Madtown,

It won't work with Harlan. After all "You can't teach an old dog new tricks..."

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2008, 12:51 AM
:oops: my bad, here's your link, Pepe (http://www.cockfights247.com/)

The Leaper
07-18-2008, 08:10 AM

If the anti-Favres are so concerned with "Rodgers' psyche" about bringing Favre back as the starter...bringing him in as a backup is probably worse.

Rodgers WILL struggle at times. He hasn't had ONE DAMN START in the league yet! Having Favre sitting on the bench would do Rodgers no favors. There is zero chance that Thompson would consider that. He'd bring Favre back as the starter before he let him sit on the bench...putting more pressure on Rodgers.

Zool
07-18-2008, 08:52 AM

If the anti-Favres are so concerned with "Rodgers' psyche" about bringing Favre back as the starter...bringing him in as a backup is probably worse.

Rodgers WILL struggle at times. He hasn't had ONE DAMN START in the league yet! Having Favre sitting on the bench would do Rodgers no favors. There is zero chance that Thompson would consider that. He'd bring Favre back as the starter before he let him sit on the bench...putting more pressure on Rodgers.

If you want to be fair and honest about it, how many people are actually anti-Favre instead of just anti-stupid ass actions of his over the last 4 months? Makes a less compelling statement for you I suppose, but at least call a spade a spade.

The Leaper
07-18-2008, 08:55 AM
If you want to be fair and honest about it, how many people are actually anti-Favre instead of just anti-stupid ass actions of his over the last 4 months? Makes a less compelling statement for you I suppose, but at least call a spade a spade.

I'm just referring to the current situation. I'm relatively certain 99.9% of Packer fans aren't anti-Favre period.

Zool
07-18-2008, 08:56 AM
That is definitely not how you worded your post.

The Leaper
07-18-2008, 08:59 AM
That is definitely not how you worded your post.

Well, I just clarified that for you, didn't I?

sheepshead
07-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Again I'll say it: Bus Cook! How Brett Favre deals with the Packers and his relationship with the Packers brass is Cooks job. Hell it looks to me like his only job and he has failed miserably.

Brett get a new agent-NOW!

RashanGary
07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
I think I'd be considerd anti Favre adn I'm not concerned about Rodgers feelings. I'd say Rodgers is more emotionally secure than Brett by a long shot.

I don't want Brett back because he's a headache and the Packers management don't want him back. I believe they know more than me and this speaks to how highly they think of Rodgers. I think the Packers will move on from Favre without missing a beat. If they thought they were better off with Favre he'd be back right now. He's not. I trust MM/TT based on thier stellar track record hence I expect big things from Rodgers.

Guiness
07-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I think I'd be considerd anti Favre adn I'm not concerned about Rodgers feelings. I'd say Rodgers is more emotionally secure than Brett by a long shot.

I don't want Brett back because he's a headache and the Packers management don't want him back. I believe they know more than me and this speaks to how highly they think of Rodgers. I think the Packers will move on from Favre without missing a beat. If they thought they were better off with Favre he'd be back right now. He's not. I trust MM/TT based on thier stellar track record hence I expect big things from Rodgers.

I don't agree with a lot of what you say, and how you say it JH, but this last statement is a very valid one. TT/MM don't want Favre back - that counts for a lot. They (mostly TT, I guess) are a lot closer, know a lot more about the situation, and seem to have made their decision.

Although just about every fibre of my being screams otherwise, the couple of dissenting fibres point out that they should know what's best for the team. Just about every sports writer on the planet is saying the Pack would be better in '08 with Favre under centre, and all those other fibres in my body agree, but there it is. :thank:

The wildcard here, of course, is that they're mad at Favre for all his screwing around, and are willing to drive the golf cart straight to hell rather than cave. I can only hope that isn't the case.

MadScientist
07-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I think the Packers will move on from Favre without missing a beat. If they thought they were better off with Favre he'd be back right now. He's not. I trust MM/TT based on thier stellar track record hence I expect big things from Rodgers.

I don't agree with a lot of what you say, and how you say it JH, but this last statement is a very valid one. TT/MM don't want Favre back - that counts for a lot. They (mostly TT, I guess) are a lot closer, know a lot more about the situation, and seem to have made their decision.

Although just about every fibre of my being screams otherwise, the couple of dissenting fibres point out that they should know what's best for the team. Just about every sports writer on the planet is saying the Pack would be better in '08 with Favre under centre, and all those other fibres in my body agree, but there it is.

One other wild card along these lines is what does Favre really think about his chances of beating out Rodgers if things were opened up? He acted in the interview like there shouldn't even be a question, but so why doesn't he put it on the line and say he'll come back for a chance to beat Rodgers, and if he fails, he'll carry the clipboard for the year.

pbmax
07-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Woodbuck, you are really Scott Favre aren't you :D

From here, it sure looks like he's surrounded by a bunch of enablers who keep telling him how great he is and how unjust and disrespectful the Packers' treatment of him has been — rather than warning him that he might be eroding some of his fan base with his words and actions.

Just kidding Woody, still love you.

NewsBruin
07-20-2008, 11:23 AM
He said in passing that he liked his teammates and had fun with them, but he should've said, "I want to come back because I know we can win it all this year. We were 13-3 last year, made it to the NFC Championship Game with the youngest team in the league, and we'd have been in the Super Bowl if not for my overtime interception against the Giants. We've got a great team, and I want to be a part of it."

Second, it's too late now, but public opinion would be completely on his side had he come out and said, "I love playing in Green Bay, I love that franchise, I love the fans, and I don't want to go anywhere else. If the Packers only want me back as a backup, then that's what I'll do. I'll be the backup, I'll be third-string, heck, I'll play tight end if they want me to.

"Sure, I want to play — every backup does — but what we have in Green Bay is special. We've got a great team, and I want to be a part of it, no matter what my role. I'll support Aaron Rodgers, give him any advice I can, and I'll prepare so I'm ready if needed."

Had he just said this — rather than trashing Thompson and throwing both Rodgers and Favre's pal, offensive line coach James Campen, under the bus — he would've been a sympathetic figure who was, despite incredibly unfair treatment, doing the right thing because he's that great of a guy.

It's hard to figure out whether anyone in Mississippi is giving Favre any public-relations advice.

You know, if Favre just acted like everyone else thinks he should act and says what everyone says he should say, then there wouldn't be a problem. Sigh. I can just see Wilde holding his Brett Favre action figure by the legs, hopping him around the desk, and saying that preceeding line in a high-pitched voice, smiling at himself that he's solved the problem.

Playing backup is not going to cure Brett's retirement boredom. I'm not arguing for the Pack to re-install him as starter, but it's so dumb to suggest that Brett should want to be the towel boy if his heart's not in it.

FWIW, I don't want the Pack to re-install him, but I want Brett to get the opportunity to be in someone's training camp with enough time to compete for the starting position. I don't give a wet slap about his "legacy." Like a reputation, it's something that's not built by doing what makes everyone appreciate it, it's built by being the person one wants to be. If Brett has 3 seasons of success or failure somewhere else, that doesn't make his Green Bay career any less special.

Harlan Huckleby
07-20-2008, 01:04 PM
FWIW, I don't want the Pack to re-install him, but I want Brett to get the opportunity to be in someone's training camp with enough time to compete for the starting position.

Agreed. It's a boy's game. Favre is obviously still a boy, why shouldn't he play?

I always figured he would leave the game only when it was absolutely impossible for him to stay in the league. Fine.