PDA

View Full Version : FA Rookie RB a find

KYPack
06-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Read this in Christl's BLOG

"Ben Brown a 6-foot-1, 246-pounder from tiny Tabor College, an NAIA school in Hillsboro, Kan., is spending more time at tailback, less time at fullback and making the best of at most four, five opportunities per practice.

Pure and simple, Brown looks to be a load when he gets into the open field.

He said the Packers timed him at 4.7 in the 40-yard dash before signing him, but he added that he thinks he’s running faster than that now. He looks to be faster and the Packers probably wouldn’t be wasting their time with him at tailback if they didn’t think that, as well. Brown also has good forward lean and seemingly more ability than most fullbacks to plant and cut to evade a tackler.

Brown said he played at Bakersfield Junior College in 1999 and 2000, but didn’t have the grades to get into a four-year school, despite interest from the likes of UCLA and Arizona State. He also became a father and needed to work to support his family. For three years, he didn’t play any football.

He worked odd jobs in California for two years and for another year in Atlanta. In fact, he said he worked three jobs at once in 2003: At Pier 1, K-Mart and a Safeway grocery store.

"I was at the end of my road," said Brown.

But then a friend hooked him up with the coach at Tabor and that’s where Brown played the past two years, splitting time between fullback and tailback.

When the season ended, Brown and his wife made a highlight film and sent it to all 32 NFL teams. Arizona and Pittsburgh showed some interest. But only the Packers offered him an opportunity.

Brown said John Dorsey, the Packers’ director of college scouting, invited him for a tryout within two hours of the completion of the NFL draft. And Brown turned that tryout into a free agent contract with a good showing in the first minicamp.

Based on flashes, his versatility and the Packers’ needs, Brown might have a shot at making the roster come training camp.

One thing going for Brown beside his size and speed is his desire.

"I’m very hungry," he said. "I’m past hungry. This is my life. This it for me"

This could be cool. We need a few rookie's to be surprises this year.

It's REAL early, but it would be great if this guy is one of those players. A FB that could block AND run the ball? That's almost unheard of. It seems like we didn't bring enough backs inhto camp. Maybe TT & his boys do have a few tricks up their sleeves. This guy's gotta be 26 - 27, that's a real find if he makes it.

The Leaper
06-09-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure if this kid will be able to contribute much this year...but he could be a potential stash on the practice squad who would be ready to step up if there were injuries this year...or next year if Davenport is not resigned.

woodbuck27
06-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Is anybody NOT pulling for Ben Brown?

green_bowl_packer
06-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Hopefully with the new zone blocking scheme the Pack can become like Denver where they can just plug in guys you've never heard and they rack up the yards. I'm really pulling for this guy, sounds like he really wants it, if he can pick up blocking assignments he has the chance to bounce Leach. Here's a interesting story here as to how he was discovered.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/05/11/1/

Oscar
06-09-2006, 11:02 AM
It sounds like he might be one of coach Mac's Packer people. Not afraid to put in a hard days work. I'm so looking forward to seeing what some of these guys do when the pads go on. If Davenport doesn't look good in camp or isn't fully recovered Brown may be the guy. Heres rooting for the underdog. :D

Tony Oday
06-09-2006, 11:25 AM
I would be happy with a guy that can suit up 16 games in a row!!!! hehe

MadtownPacker
06-09-2006, 12:15 PM
"I’m very hungry," he said. "I’m past hungry. This is my life. This it for me"
If he was just talking like this would be one thing but if he is showing enough that he might make the roster then i have to believe him.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
The rookie RB i think will make the biggest impact in the NFL this year is Jerry Woodtaker, the 6'1" 272 lbs white smash mouth from North Dakota. Woodtaker fell to the 3rd rd to the Dallas Cowboys due to a history of being a pimp in Germany. Woodtaker ran 4.24 40 at the combine.

bigcoz75
06-09-2006, 01:13 PM
The rookie RB i think will make the biggest impact in the NFL this year is Jerry Woodtaker, the 6'1" 272 lbs RB from North Dakota. Woodtaker fell to the 3rd rd to the Dallas Cowboys. Woodtaker ran 4.24 40 at the combine.

272 lbs and a 4.24 40..... holy fright

When you say impact you must mean like two semis colliding.

Harlan Huckleby
06-09-2006, 01:27 PM
ahhhh, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Partial
06-09-2006, 01:28 PM
I was thinking the same thing Harlan,

that, and speed takes a second to balance and vision in my mind. I could be wrong since I know next to nothing about running backs, but the two best ones in the league are like 4.4-4.5 runners.

ND72
06-09-2006, 02:23 PM
So Woodtaker has already been released by the Cowboys, just so you know. "Released due to repeated violations to team rules."

KYPack
06-09-2006, 05:22 PM
The rookie RB i think will make the biggest impact in the NFL this year is Jerry Woodtaker, the 6'1" 272 lbs white smash mouth from North Dakota. Woodtaker fell to the 3rd rd to the Dallas Cowboys due to a history of being a pimp in Germany. Woodtaker ran 4.24 40 at the combine.

This humor is one reason the "Tank Lovers" dig the ADB.

Never have understood their attachment to this fool.

Get a new joke, Baby Tanky.

green_bowl_packer
06-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Tank, I thought you preferred the fabulous Dick Nibbler from SFSU? If anyone should know about these dudes it'd be you, so I'll take your word for it.

SkinBasket
06-09-2006, 08:17 PM
So Woodtaker has already been released by the Cowboys, just so you know. "Released due to repeated violations to team rules."

LOL!

That's some impact. And so soon....

Nice call Tank.