PDA

View Full Version : Favres and Thompson will attend Hall of Fame banquet

packers11
07-18-2008, 12:52 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080718/PKR01/80718075/1058

July 18, 2008

Favres and Thompson will attend Hall of Fame banquet

Brett and Deanna Favre, and Packers General Manager Ted Thompson are all expected to attend the Packers Hall of Fame banquet at the Lambeau Field Atrium Saturday.

According to Hall of Fame Vice-President Dennis Tattum, Favre has told inductee Frank Winters that he’ll attend the entire banquet. Favre is presenting Winters for induction.

Tattum said the 1,300 people attending the banquet are asked not to seek autographs or ask to pose for pictures during the banquet and program.

Favre has asked the Packers to release him from his contract, but Thompson has denied the request.

packers11
07-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Now how funny would it be if the planner put them all at the same table... Now that would be a really good table to be at! :lol:

Pacopete4
07-18-2008, 01:10 PM
thats gotta be awkward for both of them.. but funny none the less

LL2
07-18-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd like to know if they even talk...and what they say. It's one time I'd like to be a fly on the wall.

Pacopete4
07-18-2008, 01:25 PM
well I think Favre would win in a fist fight... that'd a fun clip to see for the next 50 years

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't think there is any animosity that runs deep.

Favre's accusations against TT were ridiculous. He questioned some of his ancient decisions on some particular players, big fuckin deal. And as far as Favre calling TT a "liar", all he said was that Thompson was deceptive in his comments to the public. Another BFD.

And I really doubt TT or MM are that personally offended. BF mostly made himself look silly, people see through Favre's hurt feelings and blubbering.

I think Favre and TT could easily put this behind them.

3irty1
07-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I hope Favre does indeed show. When a man has allowed you to press your hands against his nuts and ass for that long the least you can do is give something back.

Packers4Ever
07-18-2008, 01:59 PM
thats gotta be awkward for both of them.. but funny none the less

Hmmmm I wonder what Brett will wear to the banquet ? 8-)

HarveyWallbangers
07-18-2008, 02:16 PM
well I think Favre would win in a fist fight... that'd a fun clip to see for the next 50 years

Ted is 55 years old, so he'd probably have a tough time.
:D

Kind of interesting that they are virtually the same size though. Back in those days, Ted was big enough to be a LB. Ted in his prime might have a fighting chance.

RashanGary
07-18-2008, 02:29 PM

Favre's accusations against TT were ridiculous. He questioned some of his ancient decisions on some particular players, big fuckin deal. And as far as Favre calling TT a "liar", all he said was that Thompson was deceptive in his comments to the public. Another BFD.

And I really doubt TT or MM are that personally offended. BF mostly made himself look silly, people see through Favre's hurt feelings and blubbering.

I agree. I think TT could be over it instantly. Still, the Packers don't want Favre and Favre will not get over that for a long time. His ego is huge and it just got damaged in a way that I don't see him handling for a long time.

Badgepack
07-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Favre will get back into the Packer environment, get all choked up and sappy and do an 180 about his thoughts on the Pack.

mraynrand
07-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Will Mrs. Thompson attend?

Brando19
07-18-2008, 03:35 PM

Ted is 55 years old, so he'd probably have a tough time.

Kind of interesting that they are virtually the same size though. Back in those days, Ted was big enough to be a LB. Ted in his prime might have a fighting chance.

Hell no. Favre throwing a punch at your face like he throws a football equals KO!

Pacopete4
07-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Favre looks to have long arm and a big hand.. reach + fist = KO

and I hope favre shows up in a tux like he did for the ESPY's.. maybe he's turning over a new leaf?

packinpatland
07-18-2008, 04:46 PM

I'm glad you asked that. I've always been under the assumption that there isn't/never/couldn't be a Mrs. Thompson. Anyone care to clear that up?

GrnBay007
07-18-2008, 04:55 PM

I'm glad you asked that. I've always been under the assumption that there isn't/never/couldn't be a Mrs. Thompson. Anyone care to clear that up?

Good thing there's not a Mrs. Thompson. If she ever attempted to change her mind about her clothing choice for an evening out after the scheduled departure time, she might be kicked to the curb! :D :wink:

RashanGary
07-18-2008, 04:59 PM

Good thing there's not a Mrs. Thompson. If she ever attempted to change her mind about her clothing choice for an evening out after the scheduled departure time, she might be kicked to the curb! :D :wink:

:lol:

DonHutson
07-18-2008, 05:21 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080718/PKR01/80718075/1058

Brett and Deanna Favre, and Packers General Manager Ted Thompson are all expected to attend the Packers Hall of Fame banquet at the Lambeau Field Atrium Saturday.

That's great, but what I want to know is if there are going to be any insider Packer Rats attending so we can get the inside scoop?

Harlan Huckleby
07-18-2008, 05:27 PM

There may be a clue in the old photo that surfaced when TT was recruiting that macho guy from Pittsburg:

http://www.sequelsolutions.biz/machomen.jpg

Joemailman
07-18-2008, 06:59 PM

No wonder he's such an effective GM.

Carolina_Packer
07-18-2008, 07:51 PM

There may be a clue in the old photo that surfaced when TT was recruiting that macho guy from Pittsburg:

http://www.sequelsolutions.biz/machomen.jpg

Someone had some fun with Photoshop. Is MM wearing a condom on his head or what? Too funny.

SnakeLH2006
07-19-2008, 01:49 AM
From what we've all read/posted...I doubt Favre/TT have had a face to face since the season ended...My guess is this shit gets resolved real quick when they meet....else they both look like fools (how could it get any worse really). This shit goes down quick after this banquet. Quote the SnakeLH2006 Never More (yea it's a mouthfull, but that's cool). :shock:

packrulz
07-19-2008, 06:16 AM

I agree, most of Favre's complaints about TT sound like whining, but I think both TT & MM should greet Favre warmly and with respect, and ask him for a meeting including ARod, since it affects him, and get this thing resolved asap. I'm still hoping Brett will agree to battle it out for the starting job, but it doesn't sound like he wants to. I'm suprised he's not asking to go to Atlanta, They drafted him, they need a QB, it's close to Miss., and they're AFC.

motife
07-19-2008, 07:31 AM
I've seen Favre manhandle defensive linemen at least twice. One I can't remember who it was but he was trying to tackle Favre after the play maybe an interception and Favre threw him on the ground instead. The other was the crazy Alonzo Spellman. He threw him around like a rag doll.

KYPack
07-19-2008, 08:54 AM

I agree, most of Favre's complaints about TT sound like whining, but I think both TT & MM should greet Favre warmly and with respect, and ask him for a meeting including ARod, since it affects him, and get this thing resolved asap. I'm still hoping Brett will agree to battle it out for the starting job, but it doesn't sound like he wants to. I'm suprised he's not asking to go to Atlanta, They drafted him, they need a QB, it's close to Miss., and they're AFC.

Hotlanta only seems like they are in the AFC.

They're NFC South with all them other rebel teams.

Bretsky
07-19-2008, 08:56 AM
SOMEBODY needs to break into this place, kidnap Favre and TT and lock them into a room until everything is settled one way or the other

GrnBay007
07-19-2008, 10:51 AM
SOMEBODY needs to break into this place, kidnap Favre and TT and lock them into a room until everything is settled one way or the other

I would volunteer to be the ref. :D

packinpatland
07-19-2008, 11:07 AM

I used to do that with my daughters.........'Sit there till you figure it out...then come get me."

Harlan Huckleby
07-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I've seen Favre manhandle defensive linemen at least twice. One I can't remember who it was but he was trying to tackle Favre after the play maybe an interception and Favre threw him on the ground instead. The other was the crazy Alonzo Spellman. He threw him around like a rag doll.

The legend continues to grow. :lol: Some of these stories remind me of the tales I heard as a kid about Paul Bunyan and his blue ox Babe.

MJZiggy
07-19-2008, 12:03 PM

I used to do that with my daughters.........'Sit there till you figure it out...then come get me."

I thought for a second you were saying that you and your daughters used to have a hobby of stalking and trying to kidnap Packer team members...

Can we make it a mudwrestling match? I can see by your faces that you people have no sense of humor today...

motife
07-19-2008, 12:47 PM
No one wants to see men mud wrestling. That's very gay.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_02/glastonbury1G_468x271.jpg

bobblehead
07-19-2008, 12:56 PM

Haven't you all figured it out yet. It IS all settled. TT will do nothing until favre reports to camp, then he will trade him to an afc team for a 3rd year RB who nobody knows that will then rush for 1500+ yards and once again all the TT haters will be stumped.

cpk1994
07-19-2008, 01:19 PM

Haven't you all figured it out yet. It IS all settled. TT will do nothing until favre reports to camp, then he will trade him to an afc team for a 3rd year RB who nobody knows that will then rush for 1500+ yards and once again all the TT haters will be stumped.Problem with that is(unless you are being sarcastic), Brett is still retire. TT has no incentive to anything until Brett decides he ACTUALLY WANTS TO PLAY AND INFORMS THE NFL! Nothing will happen this weekend as TT puts business aside to take part in what the weekend is all about, the Packer Hall of Fame ceremonies.

mission
07-19-2008, 02:09 PM

Haven't you all figured it out yet. It IS all settled. TT will do nothing until favre reports to camp, then he will trade him to an afc team for a 3rd year RB who nobody knows that will then rush for 1500+ yards and once again all the TT haters will be stumped.Problem with that is(unless you are being sarcastic), Brett is still retire. TT has no incentive to anything until Brett decides he ACTUALLY WANTS TO PLAY AND INFORMS THE NFL! Nothing will happen this weekend as TT puts business aside to take part in what the weekend is all about, the Packer Hall of Fame ceremonies.

uh... i dunno if sarcasm is the best word but it's definitely a word related to that.

but thanks for clearing up the scenario :jig:

Spaulding
07-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Looks like nothing came out of the Hall of Fame ceremony in Lambeau for Winters induction:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080719/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_packers_favre_8

falco
07-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Looks like nothing came out of the Hall of Fame ceremony in Lambeau for Winters induction:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080719/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_packers_favre_8

i think its just starting now - the press conference was earlier today though

oregonpackfan
07-19-2008, 07:24 PM
If this is true, I am glad. The focus should be on Frank Winters for his induction into the Packer HOF. All other matters, especially this Favre issue, should be put aside.

Rastak
07-19-2008, 07:35 PM
ESPN from AP:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3496751

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre stuck to the script, declining to address his public rift with the Green Bay Packers in an appearance at Lambeau Field on Saturday.

In town to present former teammate Frank Winters for induction into the Packers' Hall of Fame at a banquet Saturday night, Favre briefly spoke with reporters about his former center's career before abruptly stepping off the stage and ducking out a side door.

Brett Favre talks during a news conference before the Packers' Hall of Fame induction banquet.
But Favre did pause to praise the place where he used to play -- and now is trying to play his way out of.

"That's the thing about Green Bay," said Favre, who spoke for about three minutes. "It's a special place. There's a lot of tradition. You think of the Packers, you think of all these great names, and to be a part of that -- and I know Frank feels honored -- is a special thing. I'm thankful that he asked me to be here."

With that, Favre introduced Winters and walked off the stage.

Winters said he was glad Favre kept his commitment to present him to the Packers' Hall of Fame despite the fact that it might be an awkward situation, given the very public nature of Favre's rift with the team in recent weeks.

"There's a lot of people probably, around the NFL and the United States probably thinking Brett wouldn't show up today," said Winters, who had asked Favre to present him several months ago. "But I knew deep down inside he would, and he told me he would be here, and it's a great honor."

Favre retired in early March, but recently has been having second thoughts about playing in 2008. But the latest, and most intense, episode in several offseasons worth of Favre's flip-flopping on his future in football was met with lukewarm enthusiasm by the Packers, who spent the offseason planning to move forward with Aaron Rodgers as their starter.

Favre asked to be released from his contract, a request the team has no plans to grant. The next step for Favre could be to petition NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for reinstatement, a move that would force the Packers to release him or place him on their active roster. He also could be traded.

Favre's rights belong to the Packers until his current contract expires after the 2010 season.

In an interview with Fox News last week, Favre criticized general manger Ted Thompson for being dishonest with him. But Packers officials have gone out of their way not to criticize Favre, instead laying out a specific timeline of their dealings with him in the offseason.

The most significant episode in their timeline came in late March, when Favre led the Packers to believe he was going to unretire and they were prepared to welcome him back -- only to change his mind once again and stay retired.

Despite the public acrimony, Winters said Saturday night's dinner -- where Favre was to present Winters and receive a team MVP award from the Hall of Fame for his performance last season -- wouldn't be a problem.

"I don't think it's awkward," Winters said. "I mean, I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that would like to ask him a lot of questions. But this is a special night for a couple of guys, and we're just going to keep it to that."

Saturday night's inductees included Winters, former defensive tackle Gilbert Brown and former video director Al Treml.

Brown deflected a question about whether Favre's situation is going to overshadow the evening's event.

"I don't know," Brown said. "All I know is tonight is (about) Gilbert Brown, Frank Winters and Al Treml. That's all I care about."

Winters also ducked questions about the Favre situation.

"When it plays out, however it plays out, I'll comment at that point," Winters said. "But right now, I'm not going to comment on it and take anything away from the other guys that are getting inducted tonight."

Despite putting himself in a potentially awkward situation, Favre still managed to laugh about the good times he had while playing with Winters -- including the first time they met in 1992, when Favre's conditioning was less than ideal.

"I said, 'What do you play?' He said, 'I play center," said Favre, who weighed 252 pounds at the time. "He says to me, 'What do you play, linebacker?' And from that point on, we were inseparable."

Winters said he didn't have any insights on Favre's next move. But he acknowledged that it's difficult for players to leave the game.

"You miss the guys," Winters said. "I'm not going to lie, you miss the paycheck. It's a great way to make a living. But sooner or later, you realize it's time to move on."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press