PDA

View Full Version : Nice Article on the progress of OUR "D".

woodbuck27
06-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Notes: Defense taking it one day at a time
Unit works on forcing turnovers

By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com

Posted: June 8, 2006

Green Bay - Green Bay defensive coordinator Bob Sanders was not doing cartwheels - that really isn't in his personality, anyway - but he admitted that his defense, as a whole, had one of its best practices under his watch Thursday.

The first- and second-team offense, led by quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, respectively, took over at midfield or in the red zone and attempted to score. On four occasions, the defense caused a turnover, with interceptions by linebacker Nick Barnett, safety Marviel Underwood, tackle Jerome Nichols at the line and end Jason Hunter, who hauled in a pass that was tipped around first.

"That's something we need to improve on from last year, getting turnovers," Sanders said. "It just so happened we got a few today. Those things come in bunches. Our linemen got their hands up and we were positioned and made the plays."

Before Thursday, Sanders said, the defense had no more than two takeaways in any minicamp practice. Coming on the heels of the 2005 season, when the Packers had only 21 takeaways against 45 giveaways, the performance Thursday was at least a temporary sign of encouragement.

"It's an emphasis every single day," Sanders said. "But to get overly excited about one day, I'm not. It's just one day. That's our emphasis and I'm glad we did it. For us, we need to go back and do it again tomorrow."

Young defense: The Packers have five rookie receivers and five rookie linebackers, making those two the youngest positions on the team. But the linebackers are really young, with second-year players Brady Poppinga and Kurt Campbell largely unknown because of injuries suffered last season.

The most experienced returning Packer at the position is Nick Barnett, who is heading into his fourth season, and he has taken rookie Abdul Hodge under his wing. Hodge has been playing middle linebacker behind Barnett.

"Every day helps," Hodge said. "Every day we play, I get more familiar with the guys. We always talk about getting the turnovers. We know that the defense that gets the most turnovers wins the game. We always talk about forcing the offense to turn the ball over."

Hodge has been with the Packers for every minicamp practice. Hodge, who last season averaged 13.2 tackles per game for Iowa to rank third in NCAA Division I, has picked up on the scheme quickly, Sanders said.

"He's a very smart player," Sanders said. "He's been well-coached in college, is an attention-to-detail guy."

Roll call: Defensive tackle Donnell Washington joined the usual no-shows, cornerbacks Al Harris, Charles Woodson and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, at the voluntary practice Thursday.

Sanders said it was possible that linebacker A.J. Hawk, the first-round draft pick, would travel to Green Bay today. With the weekend off, the Packers would get their first look at him in more than a month on Monday.

"As far as installation and that stuff, he really hasn't missed that much," Sanders said. "Because we have reviewed a lot, he's already had the installation we have done. He's really not that far behind. He'll just have to work himself back in, which he will, because he is another guy that is very intense."

From the June 9, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

The Leaper
06-09-2006, 11:45 AM
I think the defense being able to spend this training camp focusing on something other than an entirely new defensive scheme for the first time in years is going to help a lot. Turnovers are tough to come by if the team is too busy thinking about where they need to be and what area they are responsible for. When the guys have a feel for the defense, that is when they are better able to make plays. Hopefully the guys reach that comfort level in the defense this season.

wist43
06-09-2006, 11:57 AM
The defense will be better than last year; but, that still only puts them at average.

They have no pass rush, and the only LB they have that is adept at blitzing and rushing the passer may start the season on the PUP list (Poppinga).

With no pass rush, they're going to struggle to get off the field.

CaptainKickass
06-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Isn't AJ Hawk supposed to have pass rush skills?

Mazzin
06-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Hawk is indeed supposed to have pass rush skills.

See this is why I love Nick Barnett, the man is a monster on the field (look at the numbers) and I'm so happy to see that he has taken the rook under the wing, alot of players wouldn't like the fact that they drafted a rookie at their position.

One ? though shouldn't they be practicing with Hodge at Strong side, even though I still want to see what Ben Taylor brings to the table.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-09-2006, 01:24 PM

See this is why I love Nick Barnett, the man is a monster on the field (look at the numbers) and I'm so happy to see that he has taken the rook under the wing, alot of players wouldn't like the fact that they drafted a rookie at their position.

One ? though shouldn't they be practicing with Hodge at Strong side, even though I still want to see what Ben Taylor brings to the table.

Mazzin, i would prefer to see Barnett at weak side and Hawk at Middle. I think Hawk is a Urlacher clone; maybe not as good as the bears LB, but good enough.

Partial
06-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Barnett and Monster can only be used in a sentence together if the phrase is afraid of the seperates the two words.

Partial
06-09-2006, 01:26 PM

Mazzin, i would prefer to see Barnett at weak side and Hawk at Middle. I think Hawk is a Urlacher clone; maybe not as good as the bears LB, but good enough.

and you wanted a strong safety over a punishing middle linebacker clone?

woodbuck27
06-09-2006, 01:38 PM
"Hawk is indeed supposed to have pass rush skills." Mazzin

Yes he doesMazzin. Go to the site below and select the video to see AJ Hawk in action:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl;_ylt=AvC2uHIJi5pfHnDu34TNiBA5nYcB

Scouting report on AJ Hawk:

A.J. Hawk Outside Linebacker
Height: 6-foot-1 Weight: 240 pounds Class Year: Sr
Experience: 3V High School: Centerville Hometown: Centerville, OH

Scouting Report Summary

Frank Coyle:

Hawk is probably the most developed prospect in this draft. That means he starts from Day One on a unit that needs talent and leadership.

Pros: Refined in every area of the game into a complete defender -- instincts, athleticism, big-play ability, intangibles and top production. A durable player who will play through minor bumps and bruises without complaint and will do what it takes to always answer the bell. Has excellent instincts and is an extremely consistent player and outstanding competitor. Reads plays well and flows quickly to the ball. Is hard to fool with any type of influence play and readily reacts properly to draws and screens, showing the ability to get through traffic and beat blockers. A powerful tackler who explodes to the ball, usually with sound technique to finish the play. He uses his hands well to shed blockers with the speed to pursue sideline to sideline. In pass coverage, he is a fine athlete with the fluid hips that allow to him to turn and change directions easily to match up in man coverage and make plays on the ball.

Cons: Continues to improve as a pass rusher and shows the savvy to blitz off the edge on the delay, or the snap, with good angles to the passer. He improved at gaining an edge in 2005 and avoided getting picked off en route to the passer. He is capable of playing the strong side, but would be challenged more physically there at just 6-foot-1 and 240 pounds.
Numbers: As a senior he made 121 tackles with 16.5 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, 1 interception, 3 passes defended, 1 fumble recovery, 2 forced fumbles and 1 blocked kick. At the Combine, he ran a fine 4.65 with a 40-inch vertical jump and 9-foot, 7-inch broad jump. His 20-yard shuttle and 3-cone drills were outstanding. He did 24 reps in lifting.

Murphy37
06-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Ugh..................I think cloning is wrong, unless your cloning Don Knotts. That dude is funny.

I'm still holding out hope that the linebackers might get switched around a bit as far as positions. But being that there are a lot of young guys, and Barnett is the elder statesman, he'll hold at middle LB this year. Eventually it would be nice to see Barnett on the outside which I believe suits his strengths better. I have no problem with Hawk getting a shot at the middle, or Hodge for that matter. Should be fun to watch either way.

Tony Oday
06-09-2006, 01:49 PM

HOLY CRAP!!!!! you admitted a TT draft pick was good you feeling alright?

Anti-Polar Bear
06-09-2006, 03:26 PM
and you wanted a strong safety over a punishing middle linebacker clone?

I'll take a better than Ed Reed-clone (Huff), one who can do everthing on the feild defensively (blitz, line up in the box to stop the run, cover WRs) over a Urlacher clone anyday (Urlacher cant cover WR man 2 man; neither can hawk; hell, hawk cant cover at all, not even the slowest TE in the world).

Partial
06-09-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't know that I would.

I like to think of a defense as this. The DLine obviously is the most crucial aspect. Obviously, for want to be able to stop the run so you need big DTs who can hold up. You also need to be able to get the passer so you need quality defensive ends.

From then on, I think strength up the middle gets less and less important with each tier. For stopping the run, for me, I see it as DTs, MLB, then the safeties.

The DEs are responsible for getting to the passer and being sufficient in stopping the run. I think you have to be strong in the front and back on this, where your middle in the least important. In this case, it is DE, CB, and OLB.

I think this is why DLs, MLB, and CB come at a premium, where as outside linebackers and safeties are significantly cheaper.

That is one of the big problems in the contract negoiations with Ed Reed. He wants to be paid as a premier player in the league, not a premier safety.