PDA

View Full Version : Draft Pick Signings Starting to happen!!

CaliforniaCheez
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
With 10 days to go and 10 guys to sign (9 picks and Grant) the Packers no have to get one deal done each day or there will be a holdout opr lock out depending on how you look at it.

80 days and not one milestone has been meet.

What a waste of time to look at the daily transaction report and see others having picks signed but nothing for the Packers.

Could it be that:

a) The media starts reporting that the Packers are distracted by Brett Favre and are not doing their jobs.

b) Brett Favre is correct and management is unreasonable and that is why no draft pick is signed.

c) Packer management including the new negotiator are incompetent.

A,B, or C the media makes the Packers look bad for not getting people signed.

cheesner
07-18-2008, 02:28 PM
With 10 days to go and 10 guys to sign (9 picks and Grant) the Packers no have to get one deal done each day or there will be a holdout opr lock out depending on how you look at it.

What a waste of time to look at the daily transaction report and see others having picks signed but nothing for the Packers.

Could it be that:

a) The media starts reporting that the Packers are distracted by Brett Favre and are not doing their jobs.

b) Brett Favre is correct and management is unreasonable and that is why no draft pick is signed.

A,B, or C the media makes the Packers look bad for not getting people signed.Since TT became GM, have any drafted players missed any significant time?

PackerTimer
07-18-2008, 02:31 PM

Could it be that:

A,B, or C the media makes the Packers look bad for not getting people signed.Since TT became GM, have any drafted players missed any significant time?

How about d) chill out. They'll get signed.

CaliforniaCheez
07-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Only once did Andrew Brandt get all the draft picks signed before the start of training camp.

The new guy is off to a bad start. Grant and not one of the picks is signed yet.

sharpe1027
07-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Only once did Andrew Brandt get all the draft picks signed before the start of training camp.

The new guy is off to a bad start. Grant and not one of the picks is signed yet.

For all we know they have deals in place with most of them but are waiting to sign them for buisness reasons and/or roster numbers. I bet they sign most or all of them at about the same time next week.

Pacopete4
07-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Conspiracy theory.. they are all holding out til Favre is given his job back

mission
07-18-2008, 04:00 PM
some of your guys are like divas on your periods...

jesus, i cant really even visit this site as often as i used to without wanting to punch my lil macbook :bang:

Lurker64
07-18-2008, 09:02 PM
If you read ESPN's hashmarks blog over the last few months you'll notice a couple of things:
1) They're announcing every single draft pick signing that takes place.
2) Only a handful of guys have been signed.

I mean, Mr. Irrelevant only agreed to a deal today. Do you think it was because they were having trouble coming to terms with the last overall pick and he was threatening to hold out? Personally, I don't.

Fritz
07-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Y'know, lurker, there's got to be a way for Mr. Irrelevant to parlay that title into a bigger contract. I've been thinking about that. That player is, after all, distinct from the other players. That's got to be worth something.

Hey - I shoulda been an agent.

I'm not concerned about the rooks signing or not yet. The Packers have done well for years now, getting draft picks into camp.

Patler
07-19-2008, 08:16 AM
I think you will see the majority of rookies signed by all teams just days before camps begin. The contracts are probably agreed to, but not signed. The reason? The 80-player opening roster limit without the added benefit of NFL-E exemptions.

Teams are very concerned about having enough healthy players for the two-a-day practices in early camp. If a player is hurt, it puts more strain on others at the position. Most teams are at about 80 now. For every player signed, one gets cut. If a marginal player pulls a hammy or something between now and camp, the team would prefer to cut him instead of someone who can be an active participant from Day 1.

Sure, they can go out and sign someone, but they prefer players who have been with them through out the off season camps, because most teams introduce the playbook in those camps, and a new player is not familiar with it.

They want 80 healthy players (or as close to 80 as they can be), all already familiar with the playbook on the opening day of camp.

MJZiggy
07-19-2008, 09:14 AM
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nflinsider/2008/07/many_rookie_contract_negotiati.html

I thought this bit might be relevant...

Agents for those players and team negotiators are awaiting an arbitration ruling that will affect the way contracts for those players can be structured.

Patler
07-19-2008, 09:25 AM
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nflinsider/2008/07/many_rookie_contract_negotiati.html

I thought this bit might be relevant...

Agents for those players and team negotiators are awaiting an arbitration ruling that will affect the way contracts for those players can be structured.

Now that is very interesting. It is also the first I have seen about it. Most likely the most significant reason why so few have signed.

mission
07-19-2008, 01:58 PM
omg brett kept us from signing our roookies omg... hold me

CaliforniaCheez
07-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Signed players report in one week. Holdouts officially begin.

Practice begins in 180 hours from the time of this post.

MJZiggy
07-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm willing to bet it will be a busy week. The only part that concerns me is that Andrew Brandt is no longer the one doing the contracts...

bobblehead
07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Just curious, if BF doesn't show will this end most of the shit flying around?

MJZiggy
07-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Unless they can find more rumors to speculate about, yes, it should.

Fritz
07-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Don't know that I agree, Zig. Until the Brettster comes out and re-announces his retirement and says he's not applying for reinstatement, speculation will swirl like a turd in a toilet bowl (sorry but that was too good not to use).

MJZiggy
07-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Yes, but eventually, the media will run out of nothing to report and the turd will have to be flushed. Unless something happens to A-Rod. Then all bets are off.

Lurker64
07-21-2008, 07:37 PM
As of this posting there are four NFL teams without a single player signed: The Colts(9), the Browns(5), the Vikings(5), and the Packers(9). Interestingly enough, all of these teams had no first round pick this year. The Browns open camp on the 23rd, the Colts on the 25th, the Vikings on the 25th, and the Packers on the 28th. All four of these teams have serious postseason aspirations this year, and we have more time than any of them to get our picks signed (more than three times as much as the Browns and almost twice as long as the Colts and Vikings).

By my count, only the Redskins have signed all of their draft picks and only 6/31 first round picks have been signed.

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Don't know that I agree, Zig. Until the Brettster comes out and re-announces his retirement and says he's not applying for reinstatement, speculation will swirl like a turd in a toilet bowl (sorry but that was too good not to use).

I think the media is burnt out on all things Favre. I have a hunch there won't be much talk about new teams for Favre until maybe some team suffers an injury at QB.

Patler
07-22-2008, 05:26 AM
I think the media is burnt out on all things Favre. I have a hunch there won't be much talk about new teams for Favre until maybe some team suffers an injury at QB.

I have sensed that too. It's almost like the VanSustern interview pushed them to the edge. Some even seem to feel sorry for Favre now, and maybe some guilt for their hand in creating this mess.

CaliforniaCheez
07-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Signed players report in 5 days.

Ryan Grant and Nine Draft picks are showing no progress in negotiations.

The Bears have signed 11 of their 12 draft picks. They are working on their first round pick.

1st practice begins in 145 hours.

Zool
07-22-2008, 07:42 AM

You have a source for this one?

cpk1994
07-22-2008, 08:16 AM

I have sensed that too. It's almost like the VanSustern interview pushed them to the edge. Some even seem to feel sorry for Favre now, and maybe some guilt for their hand in creating this mess.They don't feel guilt. They feel like they were stabbed in the back. They did everything they could to throw TT under the bus and then the March flip flop comes out along with the Greta interview. They are now embarrassed by the fact they have been kissing the butt of a whiny petulant 4 year old.

Fritz
07-22-2008, 08:25 AM

I have sensed that too. It's almost like the VanSustern interview pushed them to the edge. Some even seem to feel sorry for Favre now, and maybe some guilt for their hand in creating this mess.

From time to time people have talked about how Favre could "rehab" his image after this mess. I think the JSO article on Favre's presence at the induction ceremony Saturday was a start.

Maybe Favre needs a publicist. Wouldn't that rankle? I'd rather let him just be Brett Favre, and take the bad with the good. I'm not happy over how he's handled all this - he's made a mess - but I think (don't know, of course) that he's just a very confused and hurt guy. I don't think he's evil or worthy of scorn. I was angry at first, but now I almost feel bad for the guy. Sitting there with his millions of dollars, his hot wife, his wonderful children, his health, his good looks, his -

Wait. I think he'll be okay.

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I'd rather let him just be Brett Favre, and take the bad with the good. I'm not happy over how he's handled all this - he's made a mess - but I think (don't know, of course) that he's just a very confused and hurt guy.

I agree completely. I think this unretirement fiasco just fleshes him out as a full human being instead of a cartoon hero. The applause he got at the induction ceremony is a sign that most people welcome him back in good standing. I don't think this incident, as embarassing as it was, will harm is legacy or popularity one bit.

CaliforniaCheez
07-22-2008, 01:25 PM

Proving a negative?? Zool you are better than that.

I said they "are showing no progress". If progress was shown this would not be such a large concern.

Some of you posters are so distracted by Brett Favre (every thread goes there) you don't realize that the players on the roster report on Sunday.

All signed and active players first practice is in 139 hours.

No media reports to date regarding signings other than the promised "things will heat up after the July 4th holiday".

Zool
07-22-2008, 01:27 PM

I said they "are showing no progress". If progress was shown this would not be such a large concern.

Some of you posters are so distracted by Brett Favre (every thread goes there) you don't realize that the players on the roster report on Sunday.

No media reports to date regarding signings other than the promised "things will heat up after the July 4th holiday".

I was actually looking for a report to read, not trying to prove you wrong. I thought maybe there were specifics.

The Leaper
07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Many other teams open camp before Green Bay, so there is no reason for our guys to miss even one practice.

Get the deals done.

Packers4Ever
07-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Signed players report in 5 days.

The Bears have signed 11 of their 12 draft picks. They are working on their first round pick.

1st practice begins in 145 hours.

Oh shoot !! Ryan Grant was interviewed briefly on ESPN before lunch and I figured he'd signed, being able to speak for the team now, but guess not.
:roll:

SkinBasket
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Deal done with fourth-rounder Sitton
By Tom Silverstein
Wednesday, Jul 23 2008, 03:34 PM

The Packers have reached a contract agreement with offensive guard Josh Sitton, a fourth-round draft choice from Central Florida.

The 6-3 1/2, 324-pound Sitton played both guard positions and right tackle in college, but has mostly worked at right guard with the Packers, playing behind starter Jason Spitz.

Sitton is the third of nine draft choices to reach an agreement with the Packers, joining quarterback Matt Flynn and receiver Brett Swain.

UPDATE: The Packers just announced that they have signed fifth-round offensive tackle Breno Giacomini of Louisville. That means four of the nine are done.

There. Stop yer bitchin.

bobblehead
07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Deal done with fourth-rounder Sitton
By Tom Silverstein
Wednesday, Jul 23 2008, 03:34 PM

The Packers have reached a contract agreement with offensive guard Josh Sitton, a fourth-round draft choice from Central Florida.

The 6-3 1/2, 324-pound Sitton played both guard positions and right tackle in college, but has mostly worked at right guard with the Packers, playing behind starter Jason Spitz.

Sitton is the third of nine draft choices to reach an agreement with the Packers, joining quarterback Matt Flynn and receiver Brett Swain.

UPDATE: The Packers just announced that they have signed fifth-round offensive tackle Breno Giacomini of Louisville. That means four of the nine are done.

There. Stop yer bitchin.

You call that progress?? Bah, TT sucks, there IS no progress and I will say so since it backs up my statement that TT sucks. NONE I TELL YOU!!

Tyrone Bigguns
07-23-2008, 05:11 PM

How do you know that progress isn't being made?

Have you talked with the player's agents..or with TT?

CaliforniaCheez
07-23-2008, 06:12 PM
http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080723/SPORTS/807230341/1002

Josh Sitton OL, Green Bay

A long road behind, a big future ahead. Today is a symbolic one for Josh Sitton.

Sitton, a former standout offensive lineman at Catholic High and UCF, will complete an 18-hour, two-day drive from his Pensacola home to Green Bay, Wisconsin this afternoon in preparation for the Green Bay Packers' training camp.

"I'm ready to get back to work and get back to football," Sitton said as he drove through Alabama on Tuesday. "I'm excited to see what's ahead, and hopefully as time goes on, get some playing time with an organization as great as the Packers."

Chosen by the Packers with the 36th pick of the fourth round (No. 136 overall) Sitton, who can play multiple positions along the offensive line, enters training camp with the best chance of making his respective NFL team.

Greeted with an NFL playbook "about four or five inches thick," at rookie camp in May, Sitton impressed enough to sign a four-year contract with a $384,000 signing bonus last week. He will make $295,000 in 2008, $385,000 in 2009, $475,000 in 2010 and $565,000 in 2011.

Sitton will be preparing for a large media frenzy surrounding Packers legendary quarterback Brett Favre, who announced his desire to come out of a short-lived retirement.

Sitton, in perfect rookie form, has no opinion on the matter.

"I haven't turned the TV on in about three weeks," Sitton said. "My mom has told me stuff about it, but that's it."

Sitton's versatility as an offensive lineman -- he played four of the five OL positions at UCF -- was his calling card to the NFL. Green Bay reinforced the notion by drafting Sitton in the fourth round and giving him a $384,000 signing bonus. Barring major injury, Sitton is expected to make the team.

Hopefully he can afford the gas to get to Green Bay tonight.

CaliforniaCheez
07-24-2008, 10:34 PM
http://gnb.scout.com/2/772077.html

Packer Report has learned the Green Bay Packers have signed fourth-round draft pick Jeremy Thompson, a defensive end from Wake Forest.Agent Bill Johnson broke the news via an e-mail sent Thursday night. Thompson will sign the deal on Saturday, one day before the players report for training camp and two days before camp opens.

“I’ve always appreciated his preparation and sense of fairness,” Johnson said of Russ Ball, the Packers’ chief negotiator.

The four-year contract is worth just more than $3.4 million.

The Packers hope Thompson — the brother of Packers offensive tackle Orrin Thompson — can add an immediate boost to the pass rush while possibly fighting for a starting job down the road. He finished with 6.5 sacks as a senior.

“He’s awfully excited about his opportunity and eager to get to work,” Johnson wrote.

Roster moves

On Thursday afternoon, the Packers released three players, including former University of Wisconsin punter Ken DeBauche, who played high school ball at Bay Port in the Green Bay suburb or Suamico. Also waived were linebacker Marcus Riley and cornerback Kyle Ward. With the 80-player roster limit, the Packers are forced to release players once draft picks are signed.

boiga
07-26-2008, 03:38 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/26/lee-agrees-to-terms.aspx

Cornerback Patrick Lee is signed, TE Finley is close.

After that, all that's left is Brohm and Jordy. And, well, Grant, but who's cares about that one, right?

boiga
07-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Sorry, for the double post, but figured this should be bumped once more.

Jordy and Jermichael, our two picks with the most awesome first names, have both signed 4 year deals.
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/26/te-finley-done-as-well.aspx
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/07/26/first-pick-nelson-agrees-to-terms.aspx

All that's left are Brohm and Grant. Maybe Ryan should get on that plane now, hmm? He's still in new york waiting for his douche of an agent to give him word to come back.

Chevelle2
07-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the news!

Interesting Brohm isn't signed yet, if you catch my drift....

CaliforniaCheez
07-26-2008, 06:25 PM
It looks like only a few will miss Monday's practice while the league aproves the contracts.