PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to happen next?

Harlan Huckleby
07-19-2008, 01:35 PM
We are really down to three outcomes, at least for the next stage of this drama. Pick your poison.

(If Favre comes to camp, he may or may not become the starter, but that's a whole new saga. We don't know whether the trade would happen right away, or several weeks down the line. No way is TT going to release Favre or quickly demote Rodgers.)

GrnBay007
07-19-2008, 01:43 PM
If Favre decides to go to camp there is no way he ends up not being the starter.

Harlan Huckleby
07-19-2008, 01:50 PM
If Favre decides to go to camp there is no way he ends up not being the starter.

I think its unpredictable. The team wants Aaron Rodgers to succeed, so he will get benefit of the doubt. If Favre looks clearly better in preseason, than ya, sure.

What if Favre were to show up with the attitude, "I'm gonna put the team first. I'll be the backup if that's what the coaches think is best." Holy Christ - what a win-win-win-win (Favre, Rodgers, fans, team) situation!

Joemailman
07-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Favre should definitely come to camp. If he does, the Packers have to show him respect, which means they allow him to compete for the starting job. They cannot tell guys like Aaron Rouse and Allen Barbre that they have a chance to win a starting job, and tell Brett Favre that he does not. If Brett comes back with no guarantees, he wins back all the goodwill he has lost recently, and then some.

oregonpackfan
07-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Favre comes to his senses, remembers he is about to turn 39, and apologizes to the Packers organization and fans for this mess.

Favre still has the legacy of: the greatest Packer QB ever to wear the green and gold, one of the greatest QB's ever to play in the game, many NFL QB records, a Super Bowl win, the respect of millions of people who follow the NFL, and having never suffered a season-ending injury for 17 years in the NFL.

May he retire with all those components of his legacy intact.

packers11
07-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Favre comes to his senses, remembers he is about to turn 39, and apologizes to the Packers organization and fans for this mess.

Favre still has the legacy of: the greatest Packer QB ever to wear the green and gold, one of the greatest QB's ever to play in the game, many NFL QB records, 2 Super Bowl wins, the respect of millions of people who follow the NFL, and having never suffered a season-ending injury for 18 years in the NFL.

K I fixed your quote... 8-)

mmmdk
07-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Those who want Favre back; get real. Favre not only burned bridges, he scorched them. Stay retired Favre or be traded. Days with Packers should be done with.

Joemailman
07-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Nah, a player doesn't burn bridges by having a rift with the GM. He hasn't ripped his teammates, or even his coaches. It probably won't happen, but the bridge is still there if Favre wants to cross it.

Rastak
07-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Nah, a player doesn't burn bridges by having a rift with the GM. He hasn't ripped his teammates, or even his coaches. It probably won't happen, but the bridge is still there if Favre wants to cross it.

I would agree with Joe. He sort of wired the charges but hasn't pushed the plunger yet.

falco
07-19-2008, 06:43 PM

I would agree with Joe. He sort of wired the charges but hasn't pushed the plunger yet.

I'm generally disgusted with Favre, but were some sort of arrangement made that resulted in him coming back and playing I would be supportive of his effort.

My opinion of him, however, is forever changed, . .

mission
07-19-2008, 07:26 PM

I'm generally disgusted with Favre, but were some sort of arrangement made that resulted in him coming back and playing I would be supportive of his effort.

My opinion of him, however, is forever changed, . .

Really.

I hate that it has. But it has.

Let's get on with the program. I don't hate the guy, he's still the greatest Packer I've ever got to watch, but still...

texaspackerbacker
07-19-2008, 07:32 PM
He should come out with a public statement that he regrets this whole mess, that he has no intention of submitting any papers or playing for anybody other than the Packers, but that if an urgent need came up for the Packers in mid-season, he'd be available.

That would silence this fiasco, it would save his legacy with Packer fans, and it just might get him back on the field at some point.

Lurker64
07-19-2008, 07:38 PM
He should come out with a public statement that he regrets this whole mess, that he has no intention of submitting any papers or playing for anybody other than the Packers, but that if an urgent need came up for the Packers in mid-season, he'd be available.

That would silence this fiasco, it would save his legacy with Packer fans, and it just might get him back on the field at some point.

I agree that this is the best possible scenario.

gbgary
07-19-2008, 07:56 PM
What do you want to happen next?

this is obviously the best outcome, and what i'm hoping for, but i'm not holding my breath. i expect more fur to fly. :cat:

woodbuck27
07-19-2008, 08:13 PM

Favre still has the legacy of: the greatest Packer QB ever to wear the green and gold, one of the greatest QB's ever to play in the game, many NFL QB records, a Super Bowl win, the respect of millions of people who follow the NFL, and having never suffered a season-ending injury for 17 years in the NFL.

Best for Brett...sadly,permanent retirement. He's painted himself in a corner.

mmmdk
07-19-2008, 09:19 PM

Teammates are not GM. Favre, sorta, dissed his HC by his wanting Mariucci. Still, the feud is with TT...the GM plus many fans due to his infantile approach to the whole matter. Bridges burned/scorched.

Packers4Ever
07-19-2008, 09:25 PM

Wow, just report to camp Sunday/Monday? Gotta be a catch?
:shock:

MJZiggy
07-19-2008, 09:31 PM

Before he can go to camp he MUST file reinstatement papers or the Packers couldn't allow him into camp if they wanted.

And if he did, Favre might get his starting role back, but he'd have to start in a backup position watching someone else take all the snaps with the first team. Considering how things are playing out, I don't see him being too OK with that...

swede
07-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I didn't vote,

I could live with any of the three.

When this is all over I'll go right back to worshiping Favre.

If I can forgive him five picks in an NFC championship game I can surely forgive him for messing up his retirement.

I'm done with wishing. Think I'll go fishing.

Wake me up when training camp starts.

Packers4Ever
07-19-2008, 10:06 PM

Before he can go to camp he MUST file reinstatement papers or the Packers couldn't allow him into camp if they wanted.

And if he did, Favre might get his starting role back, but he'd have to start in a backup position watching someone else take all the snaps with the first team. Considering how things are playing out, I don't see him being too OK with that...

That sounds more logical, I figured there had to be
some paperwork in there. Thanks, MJ

Harlan Huckleby
07-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Favre should definitely come to camp. If he does, the Packers have to show him respect, which means they allow him to compete for the starting job. They cannot tell guys like Aaron Rouse and Allen Barbre that they have a chance to win a starting job, and tell Brett Favre that he does not. If Brett comes back with no guarantees, he wins back all the goodwill he has lost recently, and then some.

Ya, this is exactly how I see it. Favre has a lot to gain.

The problem is we're dealing with emotions, and that chip on Favre's shoulder is pretty large. Not clear he can come back and start @ #2.

bobblehead
07-19-2008, 11:04 PM
and if MM decides rogers has won the job and goes with him?? I can hear it already, people will be screaming it wasn't fair, they never wanted favre, ect ect, it would be a no win for MM therefore if he reported we would trade his rights before he ever set foot on the practice field.

BF is DONE as a packer...get used to it.

Harlan Huckleby
07-19-2008, 11:41 PM
and if MM decides rogers has won the job and goes with him?? I can hear it already, people will be screaming it wasn't fair, they never wanted favre, ect ect,

certainly a possibility. But it depends on how Favre conducts himself. If Rodgers is the starter playing well, I don't see a huge problem.

texaspackerbacker
07-20-2008, 01:08 AM
There's too much drama being ascribed to this whole mess. I don't see any need for an apology; I don't see any bridges scorched or burned; I don't see any offense taken by Thompson or McCarthy;

What I see is Favre just fading back into retirement, never filing any reinstatement paperwork, never remotely considering playing for some other team, but quietly letting the Packers know that if an emergency need comes up during the season, he'd still be willing and able to answer the call.

Carolina_Packer
07-20-2008, 01:13 AM

Best for Brett...sadly,permanent retirement. He's painted himself in a corner.

Wow, I was surprised to read that you wrote this. Being a "hope Brett gets a chance to come back as a starter" guy myself, as I perceive you are, what leads you to this statement?

sheepshead
07-20-2008, 08:11 AM
From the chicago media--not sure if this has been posted yet:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080717-brett-favre-chicago-bears-packers,1,3443463.column

sheepshead
07-20-2008, 08:42 AM

I agree, it's Brett Fucking Favre for Pete's Sake.

Unless I am way off, the next step is Brett's in camp. TT may talk trade and what becomes of that remains to be seen. There arent going to be many good choices. Then he competes and well....

bobblehead
07-20-2008, 08:54 AM

Unless I am way off, the next step is Brett's in camp. TT may talk trade and what becomes of that remains to be seen. There arent going to be many good choices. Then he competes and well....
I'll say one thing. I am not so sure brett can win a straight up CAMP competition. In my mind, his experience would make him way better in game at this point IF he is committed to doing his homework.

That being said, great QB's are most often made by a good coach, a good system, and committment to being great. How many guys like jeff george who have all the tools flop? How many guys like montana who have average arms excel? How many Holmgren proteges started in the NFL? I think MM believes that rogers is ready and can be exceptional and only needs experience. With brett we probably win 2-3 more games this season, but if MM truly believes in rogers, I think he believes we are better off with him by week 14 or so, and definately going forward. If he didn't believe rogers had the right stuff he would be begging brett to come back....publicly and openly. He wants to win a superbowl and if he believed BF was his only chance to do so anytime soon he would not be hardballing him.

Bretsky
07-20-2008, 09:06 AM
It shocks me that 19 posters would say stay retired :!:

Take your best QB and start him, or take a free draft pick via the trade

cpk1994
07-20-2008, 09:09 AM
If Favre decides to go to camp there is no way he ends up not being the starter.You have got to be kidding. Favre hasn't looked good in preseason for years. Matt Hasselback outplayed him many times. It's sheer arrogance to think that Favre would automatically beat out Rodgers when Favre rarely is the best QB performance wise in preseason.

Bretsky
07-20-2008, 09:11 AM
If Favre decides to go to camp there is no way he ends up not being the starter.You have got to be kidding. Favre hasn't looked good in preseason for years. Matt Hasselback outplayed him many times. It's sheer arrogance to think that Favre would automatically beat out Rodgers when Favre rarely is the best QB performance wise in preseason.

Do you honestly think they start AROD over Brett Favre after analyzing all of the factors as well as the preseason if he comes into camp very soon ??

Joemailman
07-20-2008, 09:47 AM

I suspect that is because most see little hope of him returning to the Packers, and most do not want to see him play for someone else, especially Minnesota.

sheepshead
07-20-2008, 10:10 AM

I'll say one thing. I am not so sure brett can win a straight up CAMP competition. In my mind, his experience would make him way better in game at this point IF he is committed to doing his homework.

That being said, great QB's are most often made by a good coach, a good system, and committment to being great. How many guys like jeff george who have all the tools flop? How many guys like montana who have average arms excel? How many Holmgren proteges started in the NFL? I think MM believes that rogers is ready and can be exceptional and only needs experience. With brett we probably win 2-3 more games this season, but if MM truly believes in rogers, I think he believes we are better off with him by week 14 or so, and definately going forward. If he didn't believe rogers had the right stuff he would be begging brett to come back....publicly and openly. He wants to win a superbowl and if he believed BF was his only chance to do so anytime soon he would not be hardballing him.

:clap:

Harlan Huckleby
07-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I didn't vote,

:lol: It's amazing how differently everyone is responding to Crisis Favre: Day 17.
007 is driving up to the rally in the Lambeau Parking lot where a crowd will express their love and appreciation for Brett Favre by demanding that Ted Thompson be fired. I have been spamming various internet forums (including bringbackfavre.com that 007 introduced me too) with annoying jabs at Lord Favre.

And now we see Swede has taken a third approach. In his own quiet, dignified way, he has announced his refusal to feed the insanity by voting in this poll. He modestly didn't mention it, but I think a hunger strike may also be involved.

cpk1994
07-20-2008, 12:48 PM

Do you honestly think they start AROD over Brett Favre after analyzing all of the factors as well as the preseason if he comes into camp very soon ??If A-Rod outperforms Brett in preseason, and based on preseason track record that won't be impossible, Abso-fucking-loutely.

Harlan Huckleby
07-20-2008, 12:50 PM

I suspect that is because most see little hope of him returning to the Packers, and most do not want to see him play for someone else, especially Minnesota.

nah, I think it's because most are pussys.

Favre has no avenue to get to a key NFC rival, ain't gonna happen.

I agree with Bretsky, it is suprising that people would rather put the storied stallion back into the barn than let him race a couple more times. Damn, what's the fun of that? So he is wearing the jersey of another team? At least it will be interesting to watch. If he returns to G.B., it might turn ugly, but then again it could also go very well. Why not take a risk? It's not like buying a mortgage from Bretsky where you are liable to suffer some real personal harm.

Harlan Huckleby
07-20-2008, 12:52 PM

Do you honestly think they start AROD over Brett Favre after analyzing all of the factors as well as the preseason if he comes into camp very soon ??If A-Rod outperforms Brett in preseason, and based on preseason track record that won't be impossible, Abso-fucking-loutely.

It would be a damn interesting competition!!! I would be delighted for the winner regardless of if it was Favre or Rodgers. A great story either way.

When did packer fans become such pussies that their delicate feelings can't stand a QB competition?

cpk1994
07-20-2008, 01:10 PM

It would be a damn interesting competition!!! I would be delighted for the winner regardless of if it was Favre or Rodgers. A great story either way.

When did packer fans become such pussies that their delicate feelings can't stand a QB competition?ACtually, I thnk the bigger question should be is "When did Favre become such a pussy that his delicate feelings can't stand a QB competition?"

Packers4Ever
07-20-2008, 02:59 PM

This is a new preseason, cpk1994
My money goes on my guy ! :worship:

texaspackerbacker
07-20-2008, 03:33 PM
The Packers are simply better off with Rodgers at QB. Thompson knows that; McCarthy knows that; I know that; And some other posters know that.

The way for Favre to regain good will is simply to stay retired--and be available in case of injury to Rodgers. I think he knows that. The questions are whether he would rather push--probably unsuccessfully for a release or trade and whether he would sell out that goodwill in order to force the Packers to pay his salary for being inactive. He can't force a release or trade, he can't force them to keep him on active status, but he can force them to pay his salary, even if it's just for sitting. I think he'd prefer the love and admiration of Packer fans, but $12 million is $12 million--and it would be a good way to stick it to Thompson and McCarthy if indeed, he is motivated to do so.

Carolina_Packer
07-20-2008, 03:48 PM
[quote="texaspackerbacker"]The Packers are simply better off with Rodgers at QB. Thompson knows that; McCarthy knows that; I know that; And some other posters know that.

The way for Favre to regain good will is simply to stay retired--and be available in case of injury to Rodgers. I think he knows that. The questions are whether he would rather push--probably unsuccessfully for a release or trade and whether he would sell out that goodwill in order to force the Packers to pay his salary for being inactive. He can't force a release or trade, he can't force them to keep him on active status, but he can force them to pay his salary, even if it's just for sitting. I think he'd prefer the love and admiration of Packer fans, but $12 million is $12 million--and it would be a good way to stick it to Thompson and McCarthy if indeed, he is motivated to do so.[/quote

Wow, you said that first sentence with a lot of conviction. Now, what causes you to really believe it? I mean, Favre can't play foreve, but he's only a year removed from a 13-3 regular season. Are you saying you think he would show serious enough decline this year that A-Rod would be head and shoulders ahead of him? Obviously the body of A-Rod's work is not enought to reach much of a conclusion one way or the other, but it's pretty bold to say that he is a better option than Favre at this point.

Gunakor
07-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Wow, you said that first sentence with a lot of conviction. Now, what causes you to really believe it? I mean, Favre can't play foreve, but he's only a year removed from a 13-3 regular season. Are you saying you think he would show serious enough decline this year that A-Rod would be head and shoulders ahead of him? Obviously the body of A-Rod's work is not enought to reach much of a conclusion one way or the other, but it's pretty bold to say that he is a better option than Favre at this point.

Yeah, that's a bold statement. But Tex isn't the one who made it. T2 and M3 are the ones making that statement. Some of us trust the decisions they make and believe that they've done an incredible job in a very short time here. If they say Rodgers is ready, then Rodgers is ready. He looked ready last season to me also, so I really don't have any worries.