PDA

View Full Version : Please Let The Favre Retirement Issue End Soon!

oregonpackfan
07-19-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't know how you are feeling but this whole retirement/reinstatement/trade topic involving Brett Favre is driving me nuts!

I can't help but feel this whole issue may be so divisive it may irreparably hurt the Packers season no matter how it ends, be it Favre starting for the Green and Gold or Favre being traded/released to another team.

It just seems to be ripping apart the whole Packer nation. What are your thoughts?

digitaldean
07-19-2008, 03:10 PM
I have to hope that this comes to a quick resolution. It is polarizing most Packer fans. No one is going to be totally happy in this, no matter how it turns out.

My wish is that it gets resolved this weekend with BF and TT swallowing their pride and doing what's best for this team.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling this is going to fester all preseason. :x

Lurker64
07-19-2008, 03:12 PM
It seems to me that right now the situation is at an impasse and is unlikely to end suddenly. Favre says essentially "the next move is theirs" but the Packers have no reason to make any move at all since Brett is currently retired and the Packers hope he stays so.

It seems to me that Favre's "the next move is theirs" gambit was either:
1) An attempt to get the spotlight off of him, and back on Green Bay while the wave of public opinion galvanized by his Fox News comments forced Ted Thompson's hand.

-or-

2) An attempt to gracefully back out of this after realizing that there's no way he's going to get what he wants.

I'm hoping it's #2 personally, since it appears that the wave of public opinion Brett hoped for isn't surfacing. At the very least, the degree to which he overplayed his hand in the Greta interview certainly isn't helping his case.

Anyway, I think it's likely to stay like this for a while. I think if we get to Training Camp without news, we're in the clear. Favre clearly doesn't want to compete for a job, and Green Bay training camp starts later than the majority of NFL clubs which would dramatically hurt his ability to contribute to another team. As good as he thinks he is, he's not going to be able to show up at a team two weeks into training camp and end up the starter on week 1.

mission
07-19-2008, 03:19 PM
thanks for your opinion on this.

and another thread.

and getting people to reply to it.

and perpetuating it.

maybe i should make a thread talking about how i want it to end and then if everyone else does, maybe brett will see it -- and then come back and we'll win the super bowl.

awesome.

mission
07-19-2008, 03:20 PM
and my 500th post...

i want to thank brett...

and stupid threads...

The Shadow
07-19-2008, 03:21 PM
I would like to see Favre come to his senses, write a letter of apology to TT, MM, and Packer fans for allowing his ego to cause distraction to the team, and confirm his retirement with some small shred of dignity.

texaspackerbacker
07-19-2008, 07:44 PM
I think more of a big deal is being made of this than should be made.

I STILL say this whole mess was stirred up and made much worse by the God damned media. Favre's statements were relatively insignificant and harmless. Thompson and McCarthy made their decisions long ago. It was all perfectly clear to Brett, and I think he would have just sat in Mississippi and said and done nothing if the assholes of the media hadn't been ragging him with incessant idiotic questions.

He still can right the ship if he just comes out now and says he wishes none of this had ever become public, he has no intention of playing anywhere else or submitting any reinstatement papers, but that if an emergency came up for the Packers in mid-season, he'd still be available.

That would save his legacy with Packer fans and hopefully, shut the God damned media bastards up once and for all.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I would like to see Favre come to his senses, write a letter of apology to TT, MM, and Packer fans for allowing his ego to cause distraction to the team, and confirm his retirement with some small shred of dignity.

And, i would like to be six four and playing QB for the pack....i'm much closer to that than your scenario.

MJZiggy
07-19-2008, 08:28 PM

I STILL say this whole mess was stirred up and made much worse by the God damned media. Favre's statements were relatively insignificant and harmless. Thompson and McCarthy made their decisions long ago. It was all perfectly clear to Brett, and I think he would have just sat in Mississippi and said and done nothing if the assholes of the media hadn't been ragging him with incessant idiotic questions.

He still can right the ship if he just comes out now and says he wishes none of this had ever become public, he has no intention of playing anywhere else or submitting any reinstatement papers, but that if an emergency came up for the Packers in mid-season, he'd still be available.

That would save his legacy with Packer fans and hopefully, shut the God damned media bastards up once and for all.

I'm backing off my blame on the media for this one. I think the media and the fans got played big time.

retailguy
07-19-2008, 08:31 PM

Did you read the story at deadspin.com that Bart Starr is working on a comeback? They are reporting that he's working out at a local high school in the Phoenix area. :twisted:

Harlan Huckleby
07-19-2008, 10:44 PM
It just seems to be ripping apart the whole Packer nation. What are your thoughts?

actually i don't think the rift is that big of a deal, people will go back to thinking about the team as soon as training camp starts. I think the Mike Sherman swan song year brought out more cussin than the Favre controversy.

speaking for myself, I've had some harsh words with people over this topic, but they are all people who I despised before this incident. so no loss.

MJZiggy
07-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Yes, but I was sitting in a bar trying to have a conversation and every time Favre and Winters flashed on the screen, I forgot what we were talking about...

Bretsky
07-20-2008, 09:00 AM

I'm backing off my blame on the media for this one. I think the media and the fans got played big time.

wow; a chick admitting she was wrong. :shock:

MJZiggy
07-20-2008, 09:01 AM
It happens, B. If you guys were ever listening instead of tuning us out, you might notice. :taunt:

Bretsky
07-20-2008, 09:08 AM
It happens, B. If you guys were ever listening instead of tuning us out, you might notice. :taunt:

You should know

We tune you out because we are letting you think you are right when you clearly are not :lol:

MJZiggy
07-20-2008, 09:24 AM
No, you tune us out because you know you are wrong and simply don't want to admit it.

I think Harlan's right, though. I say once the season starts and things move forward, that the whole thing blows over and people go back to remembering the football part of it.

Bretsky
07-20-2008, 09:29 AM
No, you tune us out because you know you are wrong and simply don't want to admit it.

Of course that is exactly what we want you to believe so stick with that theory

BTW, if you ever do meet with my wife I will completely deny ever sharing this knowledge :lol:

MJZiggy
07-20-2008, 09:43 AM
*printing thread...*

By the way, is she coming to the posters game this year?

:lol:

Joemailman
07-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Not after this, she isn't.

Dabaddestbear
07-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I wish it would all stop so that the Packers can start to focus on football and compete for the NFC north with a level head...
Better yet, Brett, keep up the good job! :twisted:

Tarlam!
07-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey Baddest, howz tricks?

Got a QB that can actually play yet? Oh, too bad.

Dabaddestbear
07-20-2008, 07:54 PM

Yeah, one that took us to the SB and another that took us to the playoffs.
Do you got a QB that ever started a game or better yet even played an entire one yet? Oops, sorry I forgot...that doesn't exist on the Packers roster. :P

oregonpackfan
07-21-2008, 12:33 AM

Do you got a QB that ever started a game or better yet even played an entire one yet? Oops, sorry I forgot...that doesn't exist on the Packers roster. :P

The Bears made the Super Bowl and playoffs in spite of Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton not because of them. :roll:

Tarlam!
07-21-2008, 12:50 AM

You're not seriously going to argue that you have a QB that can actually play are you? Now that is loyalty to one's team! I admire that!!

True, Aaron hasn't started yet and he may be as brittle as Rex, but at least we know he at least has the ability to play. That would mean we have at least potential upside. What do Da Bears have?

Iron Mike
07-21-2008, 01:25 AM
What do Da Bears have?

Two QBs with their own pages on drunkathlete.com

http://campussqueeze.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/grossman8.jpghttp://www.tremendousupsidepotential.com/ko99999.jpg

Pugger
07-21-2008, 11:33 AM
As long as Brett doesn't file reinstatement papers he's still officially retired so this retirement issue isn't an issue. :wink: