PDA

View Full Version : Phil Gramm had a point.

sheepshead
07-20-2008, 08:03 AM
http://michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/nprnomeatfamily.png

bobblehead
07-20-2008, 11:16 AM
link didn't work for me, but I used to like gramm....now he is too much establishment for my taste.

sheepshead
07-20-2008, 11:18 AM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92592545

bobblehead
07-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Ok, I read that, but saw no mention of Phil Gramm. I would say that if the only plant is relocating to Illinois I gotta wonder just how anti-business ohio is?? I have no clue, but it would seem something is causing that and the lack of jobs.

texaspackerbacker
07-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Gramm was clumsey in his wording, and as a former politician, he should have known what the God damned leftist mainstream media would do. Calling Americans "whiners", even if adequately explained in context, is a bad move.

The main point Gramm made, though, is abundantly true. The "recession" is indeed merely "mental". However, instead of letting the damned media paint him as an elitirt, and seeming to blame Americans for being conned, Gramm SHOULD HAVE placed the blame squarely where it belongs--on the stinking lying demagogue leftist politicians--from Obama on down--and on those dirty America-haitng evildoers in the leftist mainstream media.

As if it even needs to be said, we have NOT had a recession--an objective economic term with a clear definition that has not been met.

sheepshead
07-20-2008, 05:33 PM
No no no..the point is--look at the size of those people..complaining about missing meals?? COME ON!

Tyrone Bigguns
07-20-2008, 06:10 PM
More of that compassionate conservatism we always hear about. :roll:

Deputy Nutz
07-20-2008, 06:43 PM

It is not their fault, fried food is cheap.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-20-2008, 06:49 PM

True..and if you read the article...starches is what they are eating most.

It is well known that the cheapest food is the least nutritional.

Hmm, get a "value" meal at MickeyDs...or buy fresh veggies, meat, etc..i wonder which is cheaper? :oops:

bobblehead
07-20-2008, 09:18 PM

heaven forbid anyone actually cooks anymore. I can make a very nutritional meal for two for under $10. Make it about 12-14 if I upgrade from chicken to beef.

Eggs, rice, chicken, most veggies and fruits, and tofu are all inexpensive compared to damn near any junk/fast food. My wife made a tofu and mushroom dish the other day that was 3 meals for EACH of us for $20.

Problem is that most people think cereal and milk constitues cooking.

MJZiggy
07-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Eggs and toast are cheaper than cereal by far. As are oatmeal and grits (which are almost tolerable if you don't add so much water.)

sheepshead
07-21-2008, 07:08 AM

Hmm, get a "value" meal at MickeyDs...or buy fresh veggies, meat, etc..i wonder which is cheaper? :oops:

This is BS. Poor people in other countries dont look like this. This is one of those 7 deadlies. Prepared food is always more expensive as a few posters have pointed out.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-21-2008, 04:46 PM

This is BS. Poor people in other countries dont look like this. This is one of those 7 deadlies. Prepared food is always more expensive as a few posters have pointed out.

You mean the starving people in poor countries. Oh, so now you want the U.S. to be compared to a 3rd world. Sounds GREAT!

What part of this paragraph didn't you get.

"The rising cost of food means their money gets them about a third fewer bags of groceries — $100 used to buy about 12 bags of groceries, but now it's more like seven or eight."

P.S. those posters are WRONG. I can go to tbell and pickup several things for under a dollar...so, a meal is lless than 5 for me...which is less than bobble's ten for 2 poeple.

sheepshead
07-22-2008, 08:49 AM

You mean the starving people in poor countries. Oh, so now you want the U.S. to be compared to a 3rd world. Sounds GREAT!

"The rising cost of food means their money gets them about a third fewer bags of groceries — $100 used to buy about 12 bags of groceries, but now it's more like seven or eight."

P.S. those posters are WRONG. I can go to tbell and pickup several things for under a dollar...so, a meal is lless than 5 for me...which is less than bobble's ten for 2 poeple.

These 2 are spending WAY more than a dollar at T-Bell my packer brothah. This is gluttony to be sure and why should anyone feel sorry for people that cannot control themselves? I would not hire either one of them for any position just based on their size. They wont see age 50 at this rate and the health issues are enormous. The article to me said, we have traded turkey for pasta and we cant have ice cream anymore.

bobblehead
07-22-2008, 10:44 AM
In my example we are off by what, 50 cents each, the difference being my meal is very nutritional and yours is crap. Oh yea, mine take a tad bit of time and effort.....very small amount.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-22-2008, 06:11 PM
In my example we are off by what, 50 cents each, the difference being my meal is very nutritional and yours is crap. Oh yea, mine take a tad bit of time and effort.....very small amount.

I don't disagree about nutrition...i'm just pointing out that for poor people they can spend less on less nutrional food.

And, no..not by a couple of cents. I could get three dollar items. that is 2 bucks less. So, 4 dollars total.

If you read, they get by with around 900 a month. Your food plan would be a third of their total budget. That ain't good.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-22-2008, 06:15 PM

These 2 are spending WAY more than a dollar at T-Bell my packer brothah. This is gluttony to be sure and why should anyone feel sorry for people that cannot control themselves? I would not hire either one of them for any position just based on their size. They wont see age 50 at this rate and the health issues are enormous. The article to me said, we have traded turkey for pasta and we cant have ice cream anymore.

You are again making conjecture. Both of those women didn't get fat overnite. Simple putting on 10 pouns a year is easy to do without excercise...has nothing to do with gluttony. BUt, i wouldn't expect you to understand basic math. Plus, i guess someone on disability would be inclined to workout. :oops:

Turkey and icecream: yep, turkey is definitely excessive. As is ice cream. :oops: I guess we are in russia now.

BTW, eating pasta is only gonna make them fatter...no protein..just carbs.

Hiring: That is your right, but good to see that compassionate conservatism again. No judging of their qualificiations or ability..just appearance.

sheepshead
07-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm sorry you dont see the irony in this. (as millions of others have, i pulled from another blog site)

There's a difference between assisting someone who gets a bad break, until they get back on their feet and slugs thinking this is a nanny state that depend on government checks for generations. My favorite is people calling talk shows on their cell phones bitching the cant pay their co-pays etc. cancel your cell phone already.

like this group_ I see no one whos height and weight is proportionate and several on their cell phones, yet somehow they need free food???

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=764962

Tyrone Bigguns
07-22-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm sorry you dont see the irony in this. (as millions of others have, i pulled from another blog site)

There's a difference between assisting someone who gets a bad break, until they get back on their feet and slugs thinking this is a nanny state that depend on government checks for generations. My favorite is people calling talk shows on their cell phones bitching the cant pay their co-pays etc. cancel your cell phone already.

like this group_ I see no one whos height and weight is proportionate and several on their cell phones, yet somehow they need free food???

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=764962

irony? I don't think it is ironic..poor editing choice, but oh well.

What you dont' see is the irony of your own position. Here you have someone who wants to work but can't find much out there..and has little money to pay for gas to even try to find work.

She doesn't want to depend on the nanny state..she categorically said she doesn't want to get pregnant to make more gov money.

Yep, she is a bad apple. Wants to work, doesn't want to get pregnant.

Nice knowing you would turn her down for work...yep, that will help the situation. :oops:

sheepshead
07-22-2008, 07:03 PM
and before you give me crap about the color of their skin and what you presume to be the color of my skin, here:

Population by race & Hispanic population, 2000

All races, metro Milwaukee

White

Black/African American

American Indian & Alaska Native

Asian

Native Hawaiian & other Pacific Islander

Other race

Two or more races

Hispanic/Latino population (may be of any race)

Tyrone Bigguns
07-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Color of your skin? Huh.

Are you trying to say you are minority?

bobblehead
07-23-2008, 09:47 AM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/CanAFamilyEatOn100AWeek.aspx

Just so happened to be an article on MSN today, not a bad one.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-23-2008, 04:30 PM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/CollegeAndFamily/RaiseKids/CanAFamilyEatOn100AWeek.aspx

Just so happened to be an article on MSN today, not a bad one.

So, 50 for those two. OR, basically close to 25% of their total budget.

Interesting quotes

"barely enough to put decent meat on our plates."

"Every meal and snack has to be meticulously planned"

"People tend to buy less food than what they really need,"...not a good situation for a family without a car.

"At the store, I was surprised to find out how little fresh produce I could get for my money, even with most of my choices -- including broccoli, cabbage, nectarines, green beans, carrots, zucchini and corn -- selling for 99 cents a pound or less."....whoops...there goes the best nutritional source. :oops:

"Most of the dinners were relatively healthful, with plenty of protein and a vegetable. But we padded out our meals with a lot of starches, including potatoes and rice. And I don't think grilled cheese night was a nutritional home run.

My family didn't eat as much fresh fruit, nuts and vegetables as we usually do."

Starches..aka..carbs..aka..getting fat.

bobblehead
07-24-2008, 01:34 PM
This is my fault for even getting involved when i knew it would degenerate into rich vs. poor or someother crap.

Here is my point plain and simple, making no judgements into any other facts.

Eating healthy is just as cheap as eating shitty...just a tad more tedious. People with money are just as guilty as poor people of being fat, whiney, lazy and stupid. We americans eat like shit cuz its more convenient and/or tasty.

You can argue til the cows come home that I'm wrong, but I'm not. Vegetables dollar for dollar are far cheaper than a big mac. A can of tuna is no comparison to a taco at taco bell, except for price. Potatoes and rice(especially brown) are not evil in and of themselves...only when mixed with a bunch of other unhealthy shit. A billion chinese aren't fat and they eat more rice than the rest of the world.

Most people regardless of social standing eat far more than our bodies need. Don't believe me, try and stick with a 1500 calorie a day diet which is all you really need unless you are vigorously exercising or do very physical work. You will feel a lot better too.

Obesity is not a problem of the poor, it is a problem...period. It is caused by us being whiny lazy crybabies and not wanting to put even a little bit of effort into our diet. Just like phil said.

Now you can come back and try and make this a rich/poor or compassion/evil issue if you want, I know it is your wheelhouse, but I'm not getting involved in all that. I never made any mention of people being rich or poor in any post in this thread, so the comment about their situation not having a car is irrelavent. Save those things for the posters who make it an issue, or better yet for when it is THE arguement.

Again...for clarity...my point is that dollar for dollar it is as cost efffective to eat healthy as it is to eat unhealthy....just a tad more tedious.

The Leaper
07-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Eating healthy is just as cheap as eating shitty.

I would agree...the issue isn't cost, but time. It takes a ton of time to eat healthy, because you have to prepare your own meals from scratch.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Who made it rich vs. poor? All i said was that 25% of their budget was going to food. No financial person would ever say to do that..you know...the ones saying 20-25% should be spent on housing, etc.

If someone came to you and made 100k and told you that they spent 25K on food..you would be amazed, if not frightened by their wastefulness. Now, they certainly have the right to spend as they choose..but, most would agree that it was a stupid thing to do.

The simple facts disagree with you. As the writer pointed out...she couldn't afford fresh veggies..and was amazed the prices.

And, she couldn't afford in her own words decent meat. Now, she did get plenty of protein..and if you read between the lines...it was rice and beans...which when served together form a complete protein.

Now, i do agree that preparing food is time consuming...and is that realistic for most people..probably not. Americans work longer and harder than ever before..with 2 income families.

And, i do agree that poor eating and poor meal planning cuts across all social spectrums.

bobblehead
07-24-2008, 07:20 PM
If she can't afford fresh veggies either a) she is shopping at the wrong place or b) she can't afford unhealthy food either. Need I go on? 3 cucumbers for a dollar. 4 radish bunches for a dollar. 3 bunches of scallion onions for a dollar. 2 bunches of beets for a dollar. 3 bunches of cilantro for a dollar. don't want to shop around? wal mart will price match any ad you show them. (although almost every price I quote is normal prices at food 4 less in vegas)

Again, I never brought poor vs. rich into this, my only point is that if people are USING cost as an exuse to eat shitty they are full of it, there is virtually no difference in cost. People in america have become whiney self pittying wretches....across all spectrums.

As for the time factor...it doesn't take a PROHIBITIVE amount of time. yes, it cuts into TV time, yes, it cuts into warcraft time. Yes, it cuts into laying around and being lazy time. I don't really care if someone values those things more than they value their health, that is their business....until it affects me. In this case the arguement immediately turned to the poor and how they can't afford good food and that is why they are fat...that isn't true. I am simply trying to right the inaccuracy of that statement. So far tyrone is the only one who seems to think it is indeed cheaper to eat junk.

You can't beat me at this particular arguement, I shop and cook a lot. It takes some time. It also keeps me big and strong and sharp thinking so I can sit in front of my computer and get into pointless arguements to pass the free time I have left.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-24-2008, 07:35 PM
If she can't afford fresh veggies either a) she is shopping at the wrong place or b) she can't afford unhealthy food either. Need I go on? 3 cucumbers for a dollar. 4 radish bunches for a dollar. 3 bunches of scallion onions for a dollar. 2 bunches of beets for a dollar. 3 bunches of cilantro for a dollar. don't want to shop around? wal mart will price match any ad you show them. (although almost every price I quote is normal prices at food 4 less in vegas)

Again, I never brought poor vs. rich into this, my only point is that if people are USING cost as an exuse to eat shitty they are full of it, there is virtually no difference in cost. People in america have become whiney self pittying wretches....across all spectrums.

As for the time factor...it doesn't take a PROHIBITIVE amount of time. yes, it cuts into TV time, yes, it cuts into warcraft time. Yes, it cuts into laying around and being lazy time. I don't really care if someone values those things more than they value their health, that is their business....until it affects me. In this case the arguement immediately turned to the poor and how they can't afford good food and that is why they are fat...that isn't true. I am simply trying to right the inaccuracy of that statement. So far tyrone is the only one who seems to think it is indeed cheaper to eat junk.

You can't beat me at this particular arguement, I shop and cook a lot. It takes some time. It also keeps me big and strong and sharp thinking so I can sit in front of my computer and get into pointless arguements to pass the free time I have left.

Hmm..you list cuke...little nutritional value..96% water. LOL I, and most reasonable people don't consider cukes in the veggie cat..they are salad veggies...like iceberg lettuce. Lastly, a good portion of its cals come from sugar.

Radish: LOL. Again, you don't serve a side of radish with your steak...like spinach or broccoli. Again, 90 percent water. Again, large portion of cals come from sugar. And, to get any sort of decent value..you would need to eat a cup of radishes...not likely.

Cilantro: Lord..you think most people are eating cilantro..or have it available fresh? Serving size is a 1/4 cup and you get 5% of your daily vitamin A.

Beets: Large portion of cals from sugar. Again, not very nutritious. 11% of your daily C..37% of your folate.

Try comparing your lame veggies to broccoli...135% of C, 116% K, 11% A, etc.

"At the store, I was surprised to find out how little fresh produce I could get for my money, even with most of my choices -- including broccoli, cabbage, nectarines, green beans, carrots, zucchini and corn -- selling for 99 cents a pound or less."....Those are REAL VEGGIES.

Ty is right. It is cheaper to buy food that fills you up...potatoes, rice, beans, etc. And, it is easily cheaper to go to Tbell and eat for 3 bucks than to purchase your meal.

You try to argue with the facts, yet the facts betray you.

mraynrand
07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Who made it rich vs. poor? All i said was that 25% of their budget was going to food. No financial person would ever say to do that..

$100/weekx52 weeks = 5200x4=20800. I would argue that having a family of four living on 20,800 is irresponsible. Still, some get themselves into that position, and some of those folks through no fault of their own. But, through local charities, churches, school breakfasts, lunches (and coming soon to a neighborhood near you) school dinners, as well as food stamps (to the tune of 38 bil/year) - assistance is available if things get rough.

But if you buy expensive broccoli for the kids, just be sure not to try and keep it cool in a Whirlpool - they suck, will break down and you'll be running up and down the stairs to get stuff out of the basement all day...

Tyrone Bigguns
07-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Who made it rich vs. poor? All i said was that 25% of their budget was going to food. No financial person would ever say to do that..

$100/weekx52 weeks = 5200x4=20800. I would argue that having a family of four living on 20,800 is irresponsible. Still, some get themselves into that position, and some of those folks through no fault of their own. But, through local charities, churches, school breakfasts, lunches (and coming soon to a neighborhood near you) school dinners, as well as food stamps (to the tune of 38 bil/year) - assistance is available if things get rough.

But if you buy expensive broccoli for the kids, just be sure not to try and keep it cool in a Whirlpool - they suck, will break down and you'll be running up and down the stairs to get stuff out of the basement all day...

Just for clarification. In that article she spent 100..but, i don't think that actually works out to per week..52 times.

She most likely had to buy rice, potatoes, pasta...etc...that last more than one week.

bobblehead
07-25-2008, 12:17 AM

Hmm..you list cuke...little nutritional value..96% water. LOL I, and most reasonable people don't consider cukes in the veggie cat..they are salad veggies...like iceberg lettuce. Lastly, a good portion of its cals come from sugar.

Radish: LOL. Again, you don't serve a side of radish with your steak...like spinach or broccoli. Again, 90 percent water. Again, large portion of cals come from sugar. And, to get any sort of decent value..you would need to eat a cup of radishes...not likely.

Cilantro: Lord..you think most people are eating cilantro..or have it available fresh? Serving size is a 1/4 cup and you get 5% of your daily vitamin A.

Beets: Large portion of cals from sugar. Again, not very nutritious. 11% of your daily C..37% of your folate.

"At the store, I was surprised to find out how little fresh produce I could get for my money, even with most of my choices -- including broccoli, cabbage, nectarines, green beans, carrots, zucchini and corn -- selling for 99 cents a pound or less."....Those are REAL VEGGIES.

Ty is right. It is cheaper to buy food that fills you up...potatoes, rice, beans, etc. And, it is easily cheaper to go to Tbell and eat for 3 bucks than to purchase your meal.

I started apost before quoting a bunch of healthier veggies and then had to cut it short and leave. I thought I was adding to it, but it never got posted. In that one I listed prices of nectarines .52 a pound, cabbage not sure i hate it, but its cheap. bananas .45 apound, baked beans .75 a can, canned spinach 2/1.00 corn .65 a can, I can go on and on, that was my first list I thought I posted but had to cut the post short.

As for the sugar in beats and radishes, surely you aren't calling these "junk" foods. These are natural sugars and digest very well giving you energy and health benefits. Beets are very good for cleansing the blood, I do eat a lot of cilantro. I actually buy lettuce and grill chicken legs sometimes and wrap the meat in the lettuce with cilantro, very good, very healthy. Mushrooms are also good, a tad more expensive than others, not sure on kales price I don't eat that either. Brocolli, I think i get 2 crowns for a dollar when I buy it fresh, but its real cheap frozen, like $2 for a big bag. The author also mentions carrots which i rarely eat, they are not as healthy as advertised, but still won't hurt you for sure. These are all natural foods and are all healthy, you can knock cucumbers or radishes all you want, but when you say things like its cheaper to eat unhealthy it just ain't so. These crunchy veggies (salad veggies) are vital to our body and do not make you fat in any way. gotta cut this post short too now, but you get my point.

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2008, 12:18 AM
I remember Mike Ryko described Phil Gramm as a clone of LBJ in which a laboratory error had been made.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-25-2008, 05:01 PM

I started apost before quoting a bunch of healthier veggies and then had to cut it short and leave. I thought I was adding to it, but it never got posted. In that one I listed prices of nectarines .52 a pound, cabbage not sure i hate it, but its cheap. bananas .45 apound, baked beans .75 a can, canned spinach 2/1.00 corn .65 a can, I can go on and on, that was my first list I thought I posted but had to cut the post short.

As for the sugar in beats and radishes, surely you aren't calling these "junk" foods. These are natural sugars and digest very well giving you energy and health benefits. Beets are very good for cleansing the blood, I do eat a lot of cilantro. I actually buy lettuce and grill chicken legs sometimes and wrap the meat in the lettuce with cilantro, very good, very healthy. Mushrooms are also good, a tad more expensive than others, not sure on kales price I don't eat that either. Brocolli, I think i get 2 crowns for a dollar when I buy it fresh, but its real cheap frozen, like $2 for a big bag. The author also mentions carrots which i rarely eat, they are not as healthy as advertised, but still won't hurt you for sure. These are all natural foods and are all healthy, you can knock cucumbers or radishes all you want, but when you say things like its cheaper to eat unhealthy it just ain't so. These crunchy veggies (salad veggies) are vital to our body and do not make you fat in any way. gotta cut this post short too now, but you get my point.

Veggies: Sugar. No, i'm not calling them junk food, but they aren't cruciferous veggies and offer a very low amount of nutriotional value. Most people don't eat a serving of radish...therefore the small amount of nutrition they offer is even smaller...same with cilantro, etc.

Let me ask you..when was the last time you eat a cup of radishes? That is a serving size...so, to make the food pyramid of 3-5 servings of veggies..you need to eat a CUP!!!

Beans: LOL. Now, you are touting premade foods. BTW, again not a cruciferoius veggie. Good for protein and carbs...and for getting FAT. Beans are legumes...not in the "veggie" cat..well, they are plants...veggies, legumes, fruits, grains.

Spinach: canned. Again, not fresh.

You are confusing healthy and nutritious. Lettuce is healthy, but offers little nutrition compared with other veggies.

Salad veggies are the worst of the best. And, if you don't know that, then you really know little. A salad is part of a meal...but, not the side you serve when you make a proper..protein, starch, veggie.

P.S. Try using the food pyramid and see how easy it is to eat cheaply.