PDA

View Full Version : Hushmail users?

Kiwon
07-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Does anyone here use hushmail?

If so, what do you like about it? What don't you like about it?

MJZiggy
07-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Adding one more question, what the hell is it?

SkinBasket
07-20-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm assuming it's what you use when you're doing something you shouldn't and wouldn't if you didn't equate being a total fuckup on the internet to being a total fuckup in real life. Then again, I don't actually know. That's just a guess.

oregonpackfan
07-21-2008, 12:40 AM

I also wish to know what it is. :?:

Kiwon
07-21-2008, 02:16 AM

I also wish to know what it is. :?:

Free Internet email service that automatically encrypts each message when sent to another Hushmail account and provides the sender the option to encrypt and require the receiver to answer a user-generated security question when sent to another mail service. A free account has 2 MB of storage and my understanding is that the emails are permanently deleted after two weeks.

Accounts go dormant after 3 weeks if not accessed and are deleted entirely after 6 months of non-usage.

If you are traveling and don't trust public computers in hotels or private networks, etc. it provides another layer of security. Of course, the recepient also needs a Hushmail account for the highest level of security but the personalized security question feature is nice, combined with the background security stuff, to grant a measure of assurance that one's communication is relatively safe.

There is POP3 access within Hushmail as well and also support for sending/receiving encrypted mail using Outlook on one's personal PC

(From the website)

All webmail users have access to:

Spam filtering & virus scanning to keep your Inbox clean.
File storage & sharing with other Hushmail users.
Unlimited contacts.
External POP3 access to other email accounts.
Hushmail Express for easy encrypted communication with contacts at any email address.
Hush Messenger for secure instant messaging.
Email notification.
Read receipts, auto-responders, drafts, and templates.
Extensive help resources.
Digital signatures for email and attachments.
End-to-end encryption for email and files.
2048 bit encryption with full OpenPGP support.
Hushtools, our encryption toolkit.

https://www.hushmail.com/about-security

.................................................. ................

I was wondering if we had some users here and what the techies thought about it.

Nothing is completely secure but I'll take what I can get. With storage capacity increasing by the day, I want my everyday mail deleted permanently. Just one case of identity theft can compromise your financial integrity, ruin your credit rating, and force you to reestablish your entire legal and financial good name. That's one nightmare I want to avoid.