PDA

View Full Version : Your First Packer Memory...

Carolina_Packer
07-20-2008, 08:08 PM
With all the Favre threads and the whole unpleasantness, I figured a fun thread was in order. What's your first memory of the Packers? Perhaps it was hearing a game on the radio, seeing them on T.V. or better yet, seeing them at Lambeau. Describe your first experience.

Mine was from Oct. 19th, 1975 when I was 9 years old. I was at my Uncle Bill's for a family gathering, wall to wall relatives, lots of food, kids, aunts and unlces, the whole nine yards. The house was full of Packer fans, so I decided to join the group in the den to watch mighty Dallas vs. Green Bay. The Packers were 0-4 to that point in the season, and I think everyone expected 0-5 with Dallas being the opponent, playing in Irving. It wasn't pretty, but the Packers and John Hadl won 19-17, thanks to 5 turnovers by Dallas. There were not a lot of fun memories from the 70's, since the teams were so bad then, but this was a fun memory and a great first memory of the Packers. I remember the excitement that was building toward the end of the game when it was clear the Packers were going to win. Lots of cheering and carrying on. The Packers would only win 3 more games in 1975, but this was one for the books. The Packers beat the mighty Cowboys in Dallas.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197510190dal.htm

MJZiggy
07-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Mine is much simpler: I was about 9 and the whole family gathered at my brother's house. We were all watching the game, but my nephew, who was barely old enough to walk at the time was wandering around behind everyone's chair and sneaking the beer off the table next to them. I don't know if they ever caught him, but he did actually turn into a decent, non-alcoholic human being. He does have an obsessive love of the Pack, though...positive reinforcement?

swede
07-20-2008, 08:42 PM
When I moved to Appleton from Minnesota the older kid who lived right next door to me, the younger of the two Butch boys, used to thrash me in backyard football.

Every time he intercepted one of my passes he'd yell out "Willie Wood!" and if he batted one down it was "Herb Adderly!" and when he stiff-armed me on the way to the lilac hedge which served as the goal line he'd yell out "Jimmy Taylor!"

So it was that I was introduced to the Pantheon of Green and Gold gods that roamed the imaginations of young men in Wisconsin.

btw: The kid grew up to be 6'6" tall which was pretty impressive. His son, Brian, is closer to 7 feet now.

Harlan Huckleby
07-20-2008, 08:59 PM
I think I read "Instant Replay" before I really knew much about the PAckers.

bobblehead
07-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I was around 7 or 8, not even sure. Some kid at sunday school said the Raiders were going to kill the packers, and I hated that kid so i went home and watched hoping that GB would win just cuz of that.....they didn't.

Anyone have an old schedule...i honestly have no clue what year I started watching the packers, but I was at least old enough to be in sunday school, so it was around '76 to 79.

gbgary
07-20-2008, 09:29 PM
opening a pack of football cards when i was a kid and Paul Hornung was the top card...'64 maybe '65.

Chevelle2
07-20-2008, 09:54 PM
These are always cool to read. Like the one above...who know what would have happened if Hornung hadn't been on the top?

Me? No clue. First game I remember watching was the 95 championship game @ Dallas, when I was 7. Loved em ever since.

Badgerinmaine
07-20-2008, 10:36 PM
It would have to be the first Packers I got on my 1968 Topps football cards when I was 5 years old. I think my first might have been Donny Anderson. My first game memory that I recall was listening to the Packers winning a late afternoon blowout game against the Falcons (1968 also, I think) while we were waiting for the Merrimac Ferry across the Wisconsin River.

texaspackerbacker
07-20-2008, 10:44 PM
I was maybe six. I heard the Packers on the radio. Tobin Rote was the QB, Breezy Reid and Howie Ferguson were the RBs. Billy Howton, Bobby Dillon, Hawg Hanner, and Jim Ringo were several others playing back then--about '53 or 54.

GrnBay007
07-20-2008, 10:55 PM
First Packer memory was listening to stories from my two older brothers about going to games together and all the fun they had. I eventually went to a game with each of them. Attending a Packer game with my oldest brother, who passed away last year, was one of the best times I had with him....great memories!

Badgerinmaine
07-20-2008, 11:06 PM
I was around 7 or 8, not even sure. Some kid at sunday school said the Raiders were going to kill the packers, and I hated that kid so i went home and watched hoping that GB would win just cuz of that.....they didn't.

Anyone have an old schedule...i honestly have no clue what year I started watching the packers, but I was at least old enough to be in sunday school, so it was around '76 to 79.

From Packers.com:
http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/results_and_rosters/all_time_results_by_season/?mopponent=contains&opponent=Raiders

They lost to the Raiders 18-14 in 1976 and 28-3 in 1978, but then did not play them again until 1984, so it's got to be one of those (going back the other way, you'd have to go back to the "muff or fumble?" game in 1972). Until I looked this up, I did not know that the Packers lost five in a row to the Raiders after beating them in Super Bowl II. They snapped the losing streak in 1990 and have not lost to the Raiders since.

oregonpackfan
07-21-2008, 12:31 AM
My first Packer memory was '59 when I was 9 years old. My Dad introduced me to watching the Packers who had this new coach named Vince Lombardi. During his first year as coach, the Packers actually won more games than they lost! In Lombardi's first year, the Packers were 7-5. Before Lombardi arrived, the Packers had won only 1 game in '58.

I began to watch every game with him. I knew I had arrived as a "Man" when the Packers played the Eagles in the '60 NFL Championship game. My Dad watched the game with about 4 of his buddies. I was invited as the only kid in the room. I felt I was "Big Stuff" at age 10 to hang out with my Dad and his Packer buddies. :)

The Packers lost in a very close game. Bart Starr completed a pass to Jim Taylor but he was stopped at the Eagles' 9 yard line by a tough safety named Bednarik.

Gunakor
07-21-2008, 02:53 AM
My family always had it's christmas party the weekend before christmas, and the family would all watch the game together. Those were always good times. The earliest I can remember was in the late 80's and early 90's, when Sterling Sharpe was still a young star and Don Majikowski was just beginning to work his Majik. That is when I really started to become such a big fan.

Badgerinmaine
07-21-2008, 06:56 AM
My first Packer memory was '59 when I was 9 years old. My Dad introduced me to watching the Packers who had this new coach named Vince Lombardi. During his first year as coach, the Packers actually won more games than they lost! In Lombardi's first year, the Packers were 7-5. Before Lombardi arrived, the Packers had won only 1 game in '58.

I began to watch every game with him. I knew I had arrived as a "Man" when the Packers played the Eagles in the '60 NFL Championship game. My Dad watched the game with about 4 of his buddies. I was invited as the only kid in the room. I felt I was "Big Stuff" at age 10 to hang out with my Dad and his Packer buddies. :)

The Packers lost in a very close game. Bart Starr completed a pass to Jim Taylor but he was stopped at the Eagles' 9 yard line by a tough safety named Bednarik.
Yeah, and Chuck Bednarik just laid on him until time ran out....I don't think he was a safety, though. He's also famous for knocking Frank Gifford unconscious in a big game.

Great story--and boy, was your timing good. I happened to be rooting around on pro-football-reference.com the other day, and that '58 team was even worse than I had realized. 1-10-1, and they were outscored something like 24-0 in the 4th quarter of the only win--and all of their losses but one were by double digits.

Now me, I was born just a little too late, so I arrived on the Pack fan scene right AFTER the Lombardi coaching years ended. But here's another childhood memory: When I was 6--that would be 1969--I got my first pair of shoulder pads for Christmas. The package said they came from Vince Lombardi, and I believed my parents :) :lol: Man, was I excited!

Patler
07-21-2008, 07:00 AM
I walked through the locker room door, and there stood Curley Lambeau, Johnny Blood, Mike Michalski and others. I was awestruck, but walked to an open spot on the bench, dropped my bag on the floor and sat down. Curley came over and said, "Hi. I'm Coach Lambeau. We've were expecting........"

Patler
07-21-2008, 07:04 AM

Yeah, and Chuck Bednarik just laid on him until time ran out....I don't think he was a safety, though. He's also famous for knocking Frank Gifford unconscious in a big game.

Great story--and boy, was your timing good. I happened to be rooting around on pro-football-reference.com the other day, and that '58 team was even worse than I had realized. 1-10-1, and they were outscored something like 24-0 in the 4th quarter of the only win--and all of their losses but one were by double digits.

Now me, I was born just a little too late, so I arrived on the Pack fan scene right AFTER the Lombardi coaching years ended. But here's another childhood memory: When I was 6--that would be 1969--I got my first pair of shoulder pads for Christmas. The package said they came from Vince Lombardi, and I believed my parents :) :lol: Man, was I excited!

Chuck Bednarik was a center and linebacker. One of the last great two-way players.

neil38133
07-21-2008, 07:14 AM
In the mid sixties, when I was around 9 or 10 years old, we lived in Racine. My uncle and grandfather lived in Milwaukee. When the games were in Milwaukee, they were blacked out on the Milwaukee stations. Our family had a cottage up near Plymouth, where we could pick up the game on a Green Bay station. So on game day, I would ride up to the cottage with my Dad, uncle, and grandfather, and sit in the unheated cottage, with no water, and watch the game on a small B&W TV. I was thrilled to be one of the 'men'.

My second memory would be Travis Williams running back I forget how many kicks in one game, (I think it was against the Browns), something like 3 or 4 kicks he ran for TD's in one game.

Badgerinmaine
07-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Chuck Bednarik was a center and linebacker. One of the last great two-way players.
Yes, and he never hesitates to remind people of the latter in denigrating modern football players' toughness. He was an ornery young coot when he played, and a really ornery old coot afterwards.

Badgerinmaine
07-21-2008, 07:17 AM
I walked through the locker room door, and there stood Curley Lambeau, Johnny Blood, Mike Michalski and others. I was awestruck, but walked to an open spot on the bench, dropped my bag on the floor and sat down. Curley came over and said, "Hi. I'm Coach Lambeau. We've were expecting........"

So, how long have you been having these dreams of what will happen when you show up at heaven, Mr. Patler? And all this time, I thought it was St. Peter who would greet me. :lol:

Patler
07-21-2008, 07:26 AM

So, how long have you been having these dreams of what will happen when you show up at heaven, Mr. Patler? And all this time, I thought it was St. Peter who would greet me. :lol:

Actually, Pete and I were good friends. Those of us who knew him always called him Pete instead of Peter, and the "Saint" part is just so formal. Besides. he really is a Packer fan, and the "Saint" part always makes him cringe thinking about the debauchery of New Orleans... :lol:

privatepacker
07-21-2008, 07:34 AM
I sat w/ my father watching the Packers play the Giants in the championship and he was rooting for the Packers because he was a huge Bart Starr fan. That's when I became a Packer fan and have been one ever since.

Patler
07-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Kidding aside, my first Packer memories are newspaper articles, reading about the games on Tuesdays. Yes, Tuesdays. The paper was delivered to us by the mail carrier, and the paper was a day behind. On Monday we got the Saturday paper. I was thrilled when we finally got a radio good enough to bring in the game broadcasts, but it had to be turned just right, and if the weather was bad, you could forget about hearing the game.

Badgerinmaine
07-21-2008, 07:48 AM
I was thrilled when we finally got a radio good enough to bring in the game broadcasts, but it had to be turned just right, and if the weather was bad, you could forget about hearing the game.
Where did you grow up?

Patler
07-21-2008, 08:03 AM
I was thrilled when we finally got a radio good enough to bring in the game broadcasts, but it had to be turned just right, and if the weather was bad, you could forget about hearing the game.
Where did you grow up?

Rural northern Wisconsin. A few weak radio signals where we were at, and the hills surrounding us didn't help. Only one Wisconsin radio station came in regularly.

Fritz
07-21-2008, 09:14 AM
I've told this before, but it means a lot to me.

When we were kids, my parents would visit (or we'd be visited by) my Dad's brother's family. My Dad and Uncle would watch football - those old TV's where you had the rabbit ears (with the aluminum foil on the tip to try to help the reception) and the fuzzy picture. We were at my Uncle's back in the day ('67, I think) and they were watching the Lions' game as we lived in metro Detroit. In those days you had to wait until halftime to get the scores - you oldtimers remember? They didn't have stuff on the bottom of the screen. Anyway, at halftime of the Lions' game, the announcers had the scores up - the old manual scoreboard with all the games listed, and the camera would focus in on each one - and the Packers's score came on. They were ahead of the Giants - 16-7, I think - and my Dad said, "Boy, those Packers are good."

Being a six year old kid, I thought that meant my Dad liked the Packers. So in that instant I became a fan. The next week, when the Packers' score came on at halftime, my Dad was out of the room, so when he came back in I said "Dad, the Packers are ahead!" I was excited to be able to share this good news with my old man. He replied "So what?" (he was, after all, a Lions' fan). It broke my heart, but it was too late: I was a Packer fan.

taylor 31
07-21-2008, 10:22 AM
My very first Packer football card was an offensive lineman named Richard Afflis.Later known as "Dick The Bruiser"whom I believe is in the Pro Wrestling HallOf Fame.Not much of a football player though.

gbgary
07-21-2008, 09:51 PM

When we were kids, my parents would visit (or we'd be visited by) my Dad's brother's family. My Dad and Uncle would watch football - those old TV's where you had the rabbit ears (with the aluminum foil on the tip to try to help the reception) and the fuzzy picture. We were at my Uncle's back in the day ('67, I think) and they were watching the Lions' game as we lived in metro Detroit. In those days you had to wait until halftime to get the scores - you oldtimers remember? They didn't have stuff on the bottom of the screen. Anyway, at halftime of the Lions' game, the announcers had the scores up - the old manual scoreboard with all the games listed, and the camera would focus in on each one - and the Packers's score came on. They were ahead of the Giants - 16-7, I think - and my Dad said, "Boy, those Packers are good."

Being a six year old kid, I thought that meant my Dad liked the Packers. So in that instant I became a fan. The next week, when the Packers' score came on at halftime, my Dad was out of the room, so when he came back in I said "Dad, the Packers are ahead!" I was excited to be able to share this good news with my old man. He replied "So what?" (he was, after all, a Lions' fan). It broke my heart, but it was too late: I was a Packer fan.

that was great. it's funny how kids latch on to stuff. you guys that were trained to be Packer fans, like my kids were, won't understand. well...maybe you will. it's not like football is the only sport. when i opened that first pack of football cards, Paul Hornung being the top card is only part of it. i loved the colors of the Packers, the G on the helmet and my initials being GB didn't hurt. :wink:

Chevelle2
07-21-2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks for sharing - this is a great story!