PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Robert Brooks comment

Brando19
07-20-2008, 08:44 PM
I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio and they have a "2 Minute Drill" at the bottom and top of every hour that updates you on the latest NFL news. They had Robert Brooks on the show earlier and gave a quick run down saying Brooks has inside info that TT told Favre after the season ended that he would be Rodgers backup if he came back, which led Brett to retirement. Anyone else hear this?

packinpatland
07-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Haven't heard it..........but wouldn't doubt it.

PackerTimer
07-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I was listening to Sirius NFL Radio and they have a "2 Minute Drill" at the bottom and top of every hour that updates you on the latest NFL news. They had Robert Brooks on the show earlier and gave a quick run down saying Brooks has inside info that TT told Favre after the season ended that he would be Rodgers backup if he came back, which led Brett to retirement. Anyone else hear this?

This is BS. Favre hasn't been shy about airing dirty laundry. Why wouldn't he say anything about this? I'm sure we'll see the usual suspects blast TT for this. I don't buy it for a second.

MJZiggy
07-20-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't buy it either. If this were true, Favre would have said screw you to TT, gone public with the whole bit and would never have waffled in his decision one bit. If that were true, we also wouldn't have gone through the whole reinstatement paperwork bit because it never would have gotten this far.

AND, while I'm at it, TT doesn't decide who starts and who plays back up.

bobblehead
07-20-2008, 08:59 PM
^^^^^^^

What she said.....I'm starting to think of the media the way tex does.

MJZiggy
07-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Actually, with all the various "sources" of information lately that have been trying to make TT look bad in the press, I'm not even willing to lay my normal blame on the media for their shoddy reporting. Apparently they were fed this story and don't think they're not going to run with it if they think it has any shot at being true...(they might try thinking it through, but it IS national media you know.)

Lurker64
07-20-2008, 09:40 PM

That pretty much seals it. It's sad that there's really no accountability in what people are allowed to make up and then claim that they "know for a fact" in this business.

pbmax
07-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Brook's comment has the added feature of being true if you read the time frame "after the season ended" to mean "June". It also doesn't jibe with the aborted comeback in April/May when they would have taken him back.

If Favre was willing to air dirty laundry about Moss/Riveria/Mariucci, then I suspect we would have heard about that threat in the Van Susteren interview.

And if the interrogator or Brooks misunderstood the information, then this statement might sound like news when it isn't.

Partial
07-20-2008, 10:19 PM

That pretty much seals it. It's sad that there's really no accountability in what people are allowed to make up and then claim that they "know for a fact" in this business.

BS.

Lurker64
07-20-2008, 10:32 PM

BS.

The quote attributed to Brooks? I agree, it's complete BS.

Partial
07-20-2008, 10:39 PM
TT absolutely picks the players and the starters. Who are we trying to kid? M3 has no say in the matter of Favre would be starting in '08 since M3 is playing for his job each and every week.

Zool
07-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm calling BS. Why would they fly down in March if they wanted him back as a backup.

This entire fiasco needs to go away.

Harlan Huckleby
07-20-2008, 10:50 PM
this has all gotten pretty embarassing. Brooks' quote is absurd.

I think it is time for Favre to plead menopause, or temporary insanity, and release his friends from trying to defend him. If this public relations battle were a fight, they would have stopped it after the first Gretta interview.

Favre has been an emotional mess the last several months, that's about the whole story.

I think the fans will forgive him completely. Hell, if he just showed up to play next weekend it would be fine.

Lurker64
07-20-2008, 10:53 PM
TT absolutely picks the players and the starters. Who are we trying to kid? M3 has no say in the matter of Favre would be starting in '08 since M3 is playing for his job each and every week.

Considering that McCarthy is coming off a "Coach of the Year" performance, received a five year extension, and is one of the highest paid coaches in the league I'd say your estimation that he is "playing for his job each and every week" is indicative of your understanding about how these things work.

For no team in the league does the General Manager decides who starts. Next thing you tell me, you're going to be saying that all the plays that didn't work were called by TT who forced McCarthy to put in that formation and run that play. The coaches come up with the schemes, the formations, and the plays. The coaches are the people who know which players are best suited to the schemes, formations, and plays and thus they are the ones that who decides who plays where, when, and how much.

Partial
07-20-2008, 11:01 PM

Considering that McCarthy is coming off a "Coach of the Year" performance, received a five year extension, and is one of the highest paid coaches in the league I'd say your estimation that he is "playing for his job each and every week" is indicative of your understanding about how these things work.

For no team in the league does the General Manager decides who starts. Next thing you tell me, you're going to be saying that all the plays that didn't work were called by TT who forced McCarthy to put in that formation and run that play. The coaches come up with the schemes, the formations, and the plays. The coaches are the people who know which players are best suited to the schemes, formations, and plays and thus they are the ones that who decides who plays where, when, and how much.

Right.. so it wasn't TT who said he'd come back in a different role. Likewise, was it not TT who declared Harrell the starter last year? Also, who makes the final roster cut downs?!?

You're ignorant. The GM and coach probably do it together, but as with everything in life, its your boss' way or the highway.

Coaches are always playing for their lives. If they start out slow he could be canned this year! Unlikely, but its possible. Let me put it this way... M3 is gonna take the fall before TT imo, yet he is forced to play with the guys TT provides, including an inexperienced, injury prone, essentially rookie quarterback instead of the best quarterback ever coming off one of the finest years of quarterbacking in NFL history. GG TT.

oregonpackfan
07-21-2008, 12:46 AM
I find it absolutely remarkable how much insight Partial has accumulated in his 22 years of life... :roll:

MJZiggy
07-21-2008, 06:13 AM
You're ignorant. The GM and coach probably do it together, but as with everything in life, its your boss' way or the highway.

Great how you call Lurker ignorant and then state that they PROBABLY work together which would indicate whose ignorance? P, the way it works in the NFL is that the GM makes the personnel decisions as to who will be members of the team. M3 decides who starts, and as to Harrell, I think it was a bunch of injuries on the line that started him last year. Thank God our GENERAL MANAGER kept so many DTs so that our COACH had enough tools to work with. M3 has said that TT will never force a player on him, and as M3 did not do the round of interviews, do you think maybe TT and M3 had a discussion about how M3 wanted it to work before stating it as the official team position?

Yeesh. Amen, OPF!

Zool
07-21-2008, 07:36 AM
You think between Partial and Ty, we have all the knowledge of the world covered?

www.P-Typedia.com

Gather all yee seekers of knowledge and be talked down to.

sheepshead
07-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I think TT and MM work together and so far have done it well. I dont think its autocratic.

SkinBasket
07-21-2008, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the laugh Partial.

Fritz
07-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Back to the original topic - I wonder why a classy guy like Brooks felt the need to go on air with more "inside" junk. What for, Bobby?

Tyrone Bigguns
07-21-2008, 05:07 PM
You think between Partial and Ty, we have all the knowledge of the world covered?

www.P-Typedia.com

Gather all yee seekers of knowledge and be talked down to.

Prolly. Ty has about 99.99...and partial fills in what i dont' know.